Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: barefoot, precocious, and in the kitchen
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
damona
polly, i totally remember eating at your house because your fridge was always more interesting than mine. i also remember going to your house for lunch in, what, 2nd grade? when we used to walk home for lunch, and your mom making stuff like hot dogs wrapped in crescent roll dough. and spaghetti with her fabulous sauce. and her homemade snickerdoodles. and your dad's awesome grilling abilities. cold hamburgers with bbq sauce. hells yeah. lol.

i used to use the arrowhead mills gf flour blend, but i can't find it in stores, now. i have to order it. i use the bob's red mill stuff, most of the time. i haven't been baking much lately, my oven is broken (i think i said that before), although i still use the breadmaker to make gf bread for the boys. i use the bob's homemade bread mix for that. i add a bunch of stuff, though. ground flax seed, some cinnamon, maybe i use coconut milk instead of rice milk and add a couple tablespoons of shredded, unsweetened coconut.
Persiflager
White or dark chicken meat?

My childhood/student self would be shocked, but I'm just not that interested in chicken breasts any more. I much prefer the thighs, especially in casseroles.

I'm also slightly surprised to have come round to parsnips (oh my god, home-made parsnip crisps!).

Has anyone else changed their tastes in recent years?
enfermera
when i was younger i thought sour cream was utterly disgusting, and now i can't get enough of it. especially this cultured variety i get at the co-op...yum...

also mangos.

i was a picky eater, and didn't like tomatoes, onions, mushrooms. now, while i may still avoid a big mouthful of one of those, i realize how important they are for flavoring, and will eat them willingly. it was the shock of my life when my ex-boyfriends's mom made BLTs with a big organic tomato from her garden, and i absolutely loved it. commercial grade tomatoes are still kind of gross to me but i can handle them in small proportions.

and i agree, dark meat is juicier and much more flavorful.

does anyone here have any simple casserole recipes that don't involve canned soup, or powdered onion soup mix?
auralpoison
I more frequently buy packs of legs & thighs than breasts or tenders. Usually three to a pack, inexpensive, & flavorful. Perfect for grilling & I have a soy/ginger recipe for the slowcooker that kicks much ass.

I am still uncomfortable with the texture of raw onions, but will eat them.

Enfermera, there's always cottage pie, polenta casseroles, classic turkey tetrazzini, & a variety of tex-mex options out there that don't take soup. I like this:

Chicken & Rice Casserole

2 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces, patted dry
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup dry sherry or white wine
1 1/3 cups* chicken stock
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup cream
1 cup raw, medium or long grain, white rice
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon each of Italian seasoning and poultry seasoning (or 2 teaspoons of one of these herb mixes, or 2 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, sage, thyme, and basil)**
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
*This recipe assumes the rice requires approx 1 1/2 cups liquid per cup of rice to cook. Some rice varieties, such as brown rice, require more liquid (and a longer cooking time). Adjust recipe accordingly.

(1) Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium high or high heat (hot enough to brown but not burn). Sprinkle a dash of salt on the bottom of the pan. Season the chicken pieces all over with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown the chicken pieces on two sides, about 1-2 minutes per batch. Add a little more salt to the pan (and more olive oil if needed) after every batch. This will help prevent the chicken from sticking to the pan. Remove chicken pieces and set aside in a bowl. Note that the chicken does not have to be cooked through, only browned.

(2) In the same sauté pan add 1 Tbsp olive oil, lower the heat to medium, add the onions, and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, cook 30 seconds more. Remove onions and garlic to a shallow (9 x 13 x 2) casserole dish.

(3) Raise heat to medium high, add the sliced mushrooms. Dry sauté them (no need to add butter or oil), allowing the mushrooms to brown lightly, and release some of their moisture. Add the mushrooms to the casserole dish.

(4) Add 1/4 cup dry sherry or dry white wine to the pan to deglaze the pan, scraping off the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. (At this point, if you are making ahead, reduce the sherry to 1 Tbsp and pour off into the casserole dish. Refrigerate cooked onions, garlic, mushrooms, and browned chicken pieces until you are ready to make the casserole.) Let the sherry reduce to about 1 Tbsp, then add the chicken stock, and remove from heat. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, the cream, and the sour cream. Add the raw rice to the casserole dish. Then pour the stock, sherry, cream, sour cream mixture over the rice. Add the Italian and poultry seasonings (or fresh herbs) and paprika to the dish. Stir the rice, onion, mushroom, herb mixture so that they are evenly distributed in the casserole dish.

(5) Place the chicken pieces on top of the rice mixture (in a single layer if you can, they will be crowded). Cover the casserole dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake in a 375°F oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil. If the casserole is still too liquidy, let it cook a few minutes more, uncovered, until the excess liquid has evaporated away.
Sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving.

It's getting too hot around these parts for casserole unless I make it in the middle of the night.
enfermera
that recipe sounds great, AP; thanks! i actually have all of those ingredients but two. i'm basically just trying to think of things that will make decent leftovers to take to work for lunches. the soy ginger chicken sounds fabulous too. i've loved soy sauce since i was practically an infant.

i think one thing that hinders my cooking a bit is the stove in this house. i grew up with gas ranges. they make perfect sense to me; you turn the knob, the flame level visibly changes. here we have a flat top ceramic electric range that is even slower to change in temp than a regular electric range. i tend to have a terrible time with it, either burning things or keeping the heat so low that it takes extra long and gets overdone on the outsides. i don't feel like it bakes or broils as well either.
auralpoison
I was raised with an electric range (If you've ever seen the film Blast From the Past with Brendan Fraser & Alicia Silverstone, that is our range!), but have cooked with almost nothing but gas since. That flat top ceramic electric shit makes me cray cray. So fucking unpredictable!

Soy Ginger Slowcooker Chicken

1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoon dark-brown sugar
5 clove garlic, thinly sliced
2/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
1 piece (about 2 inches long) fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips
5 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
4 chicken drumsticks and 4 thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds total), skin removed
2 carrots, thinly sliced crosswise*
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Cooked white rice, (for serving)

(1) In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together soy sauce, sugar, garlic, cilantro, ginger, 1/2 cup scallions, vinegar, coriander, and pepper. Add chicken and carrots; toss to coat. Cover, and cook on low until chicken is tender, about 6 hours. Using a large spoon, skim off and discard any fat from surface of cooking liquid.

(2) In a 2-cup glass measuring cup, whisk cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Ladle 1 cup cooking liquid into measuring cup; whisk to combine. Pour into a small saucepan, and bring to a boil; cook until thickened, about 1 minute. With slow cooker turned off, stir in cornstarch mixture. Serve chicken with white rice, and garnish with cilantro sprigs and remaining 1/2 cup scallions.

*I am not wild about cooked carrots, I tend to mix up the veg with whatever is on hand. I like bok choy, straw mushrooms, water chestnuts, bamboo, broccoli, etc.
Persiflager
Yay, yay for the foodie thread!

Anyone got any ideas on what to do with spare bolognese other than 'heat, add pasta'? It's already been meatified.
auralpoison
Have you considered bracciola or chicken parm? Meatball sandwich, pizza sauce, calzone filling? Maybe a casserole? A lot of casseroles call for alfredo sauce or canned soup, I'm sure some could be converted to a tomato based recipe, a Tuscan chicken with canneloni/rice or something? Somewhere around here I have a recipe for a tomato pie that it would probably work in, you could try a fritatta or quiche as well. You could turn it into soup with some veggie broth, spinach, canneloni beans, & orzo?
Persiflager
Thanks AP! I went with 'feed to hungry flatmate who's annoyed at the fridge being taken up with lots of pots of bolognese' rolleyes.gif
damona
ok y'all. i need some ideas for quick vegan munchies that aren't just, like, salad stuff. our babysitter/friend/practically roommate is now vegan and i don't know what to keep around for her. we already do lots of gluten free and dairy free stuff, but the egg free thing has me confused lol. how do you really bake anything without eggs? i've looked up some recipes and that, but a lot of it is way to complicated, or just doesn't sound very tasty. she's such a sweet girl, but when i asked her she just kind of shrugged and said," well, anything, really". not very helpful. so, c'mon busties, i need your expertise!
pepper
Dates, pecans, food processor. Roll into balls, roll in coconut, cocoa powder, crushed nuts, etc. You can stuff them with a nut or piece of dried fruit. Very tasty.
Chocolates can be made with cocoa power, sweet (whatever you like, I use maple) and coconut oil. Pour into those fancy little silicon ice cube trays or candy molds and chill. You can make a shell and fill with jam, nut butter, etc them top with more chocolate.
Trail mix, granola (google granola bar recipe, I know they're out there), flat breads are vegan. There are tons of salty, crunchie vegan snack things too but you can make your own if you feel like it. Use rice, soy or almond milk instead of cow boob. Oh, and you can make nut milks, they are very tasty. Google that, tons of recipes (sorry, my dial up sucks for opening two pages at a time or I would find you a link).
If you google raw recipes you'll get tons of vegan hits too, you can cook anything that calls for being dehydrated. The sunny raw blog is AMAZING!

My fave biscuits from The Joy of Cooking (I think it would work with rice, teff, whatever other flour):
1 2/3 C flour (I use 1 C white, the rest WW or corn meal)
1 T bakng pwdr
1/2 t salt
2/3 C oil
1/3 C milk (I use rice)
Mix dry, mix wet, mix together. Form into walnut sized balls and bake @ 425 6-10 mins (more for WW and corn, less for all white).

You can add things like corn, chives, herbs, or some sugar, chocolate chips, dried fruit etc for sweet. They are so tasty and ridiculously easy to make. The kids practically do all the work by now, I just watch. And clean up dry.gif .
auralpoison
You should check out Turbo's blog, the Whole Kitchen. Both of these recipes I ganked from there.

Grain-Free Granola Bars
makes 18 3″x3″ bars
Adapted from Green Kitchen Stories

1 1/3 cup coarsely chopped nuts (I used almonds, pepitas, cashews, sunflower seeds and peanuts)
2/3 cup natural peanut butter (or almond butter), unsweetened, unsalted
3 oz dates, chopped roughly
1/2 tsp salt
3-4 T water
1/2 cup chopped fruit (tart dried cherries and prunes)
2oz unsweetened coconut flakes
parchment paper

(1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coarsely chop the nuts in a food processor (chop the almonds separately from the rest of the nuts, as they are much harder than the others). Dump the nuts onto a small sheet pan and toast for 10 minutes. Place the coconut and chopped fruit in a mixing bowl and set aside. While the nuts are toasting, scoop the peanut butter, chopped dates and water into a small sauce pan and heat the mixture on a low burner, stirring as you go. As the peanut butter warms, it may seize up a bit – add a touch more water. You just want the mixture to be warm, not hot, so that you can stir the mixture together.

(2) After the nuts have been toasted for 10 minutes, pour the nuts into the mixing bowl with the fruit and coconut and stir the ingredients together. Pour the peanut butter mixture on top of the nuts, and use a stiff spatula to fold the mixture together until all the ingredients are coated in peanut butter. Line the sheet pan with parchment, then dump the sticky mixture onto the parchment. Use the back of your spatula to press the gooey mixture onto the pan in an even layer about 1/2″ thick – don’t worry if it doesn’t fill the whole sheet pan, mine covered about 80%. Use your hands to finish pressing the mixture into an even layer. Place the bars into the oven, and bake for 20-25 minutes to set the bars, then chill in the fridge for a couple of hours before cutting. Store the finished bars in a storage container in the fridge, with waxed paper between layers.

Double Fudge Brownies
Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Nut, Egg and Legume-free
From Elizabeth Gordon, Allergy Free Life
Makes 16 brownies

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup sweet sorghum flour
1 teaspoon instant espresso crystals
3/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup date paste (see note below)
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup boiling water
1/3 cup gluten, dairy, soy, nut and egg-free chocolate chips

(1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees conventional and lightly grease the bottom of an 8×8″ glass baking pan with canola oil. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, sorghum, xanthan gum, espresso crystals, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the applesauce, the date paste, the cider vinegar, the vanilla extract and the boiling water until the batter is thick and smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center will NOT come out clean, so don’t over bake. The brownies will feel firm to the touch when they are done.

(2) Remove the finished brownies from the oven and immediately top with the gluten, dairy, soy, nut and egg-free chocolate chips. Spread them with a knife until they are smooth. Let the brownies cool completely before cutting. I put mine in the refrigerator when they were cool just to harden the chocolate layer. For easy cutting, dip a very sharp knife in hot water before slicing. The covered leftovers may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Persiflager
This recipe is for a filipino pork stew I cooked at the weekenc - it was DELICIOUS, and worked well doubled up to feed 7 hungry adults (I served with brown rice, curly kale and roasted carrots and sweet potatoes with rosemary). Slight drawback is that the thai fish sauce makes a spectacular stink, but it's worth it! Oh, and it's quite salty (nom nom nom tongue.gif ).

Filipino Pork Adobo (serves 4)

2 lb boneless Boston butt, cut into 3-inch chunks
1/2 cup rice/white wine vinegar
3/4 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
2 cups chicken stock
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 bay leaves
5 tbsp chopped garlic
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 tsp Asian hot chilli oil, or more to taste (optional)

Put all the ingredients in a casserole dish or large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, until the prok is tender, about 1 1/4 hours. Skim and discard the fat from the surface. Taste the broth and add more vinegar, sugar or chilli oil to balance the flavours to your liking. Serve the adobo over jasmine rice.
pollystyrene
That sounds really good, persiflager! Yeah, fish sauce smells awful when you're putting it into something, but you'd totally miss the flavors it adds once it cooks off and de-stinkifies.
enfermera
ap, i made the soy ginger chicken today. it's tasty, but i'm not sure if i did it quite right. do you take the chicken off the bones? mine was falling apart by the time it was done. is that the idea? also, i think my crock pot is poorly designed. water from steam always builds up around the rim and splashes out onto the counter. i put the lid on a little crooked so some of the steam could get out, but then the liquid cooked out and i had to re-constitute it. maybe i should have set it on low instead of high? practice makes perfect, i guess. thanks for the recipe!
auralpoison
"Cover, and cook on low until chicken is tender, about 6 hours." I'll bet that chicken was falling apart! Holy moly! laugh.gif I remove the skin, but leave the chicken on the bone.
enfermera
yikes, i see that now! hee-hee, well, i'll know for next time! the crock pot was a gift from my mom a year or so ago, but i haven't really played with it much yet. but the water leaking out the top seems to happen every time no matter what.
anarch
I've been messing around with making ice cream manually (just put the stuff in the freezer and mash it up with a fork every hour, to break up the ice crystals), because sugar does bad things to me. Whipped cream for myself. Full fat coconut milk for the spouse (vegan). Stevia (or fruit) to sweeten. I put cocoa powder in the last batch. It's more powdery than would be ideal, but it satisfies my chocolate cravings.

Come to think of it, I should mash cocoa powder into the bananas that are getting overripe and freeze them (mashing every hour until it freezes stiff). Maybe I"ll do that tonight.
auralpoison
Doing it by hand was cool at first (I love making a good cranberry or strawberry granita!), but eventually I remembered that I am really fucking lazy. I finally broke down & bought a little Cuisinart 2-Quart Automatic last year that kicks so much ass. I haven't made the first frozen treat of the season yet, but I think I'm gonna go with strawberry balsamic ice cream. There's a part of me that wonders if I can somehow introduce little bits of goat cheese into it!
Persiflager
Oh My God, that sounds AMAZING!!!!!

Though I already get enough weird looks when I put black pepper on my strawberries. Philistines!
ketto
My mom made some good ice cream by hand a few times when we were kids. My dad got an ice cream maker years ago that I never really remember being used so I took it when I moved out and have used it a few times since. I started off with some of Jenn's great recipes from her blogs but now i do my own thing, usually making some sort of coconut milk and fruit sorbet.

Anarch, that banana idea sounds good. I'm not crazy bout them but my boyfriend loves that kind of stuff.
auralpoison
Making ice cream was one of my dad's fave summer activities. Of course, he used one of those old school, pack it with ice & salt, noisy as hell, takes forever to make ice cream makers. My little Cuisinart makes my two quarts in twenty minutes & is one hell of a lot quieter than the old model!

One year he made rum raisin ice cream. He didn't think about what freezing raisins would do to them, they became little frozen stones!

QUOTE(Persiflager @ May 26 2010, 03:17 AM) *
Oh My God, that sounds AMAZING!!!!!

Or trying something like manchego ice cream with a fig/cinnamon swirl.
deschatsrouge
I have the Kitchen Aid ice cream attachment and I have to concur; it's faster, quieter and more convenient than the old rock salt and ice contraptions.

I used my kitchen aid to make kiwi sorbet a while back. smile.gif Yum!
anarch
You guys are making me think about buying one of those ice cream makers I was eyeing at Target the other day. See I never knew anyone who had one, so I when I looked at them I thought "intriguing and tantalizing" and "foreign contraption."

Huh, my computer flags "eyeing" as a misspelling. I just checked dictionary.com, which allows both "eyeing" and "eying" (WTF? I'd have thought that was wrong for sure).
auralpoison
I dunno what machine you were looking at, Anarch, but great strides have been made in the homemade ice cream department! I was at a party last summer where they had a couple of hard red & purple plastic beach ball looking things that were actually ice cream makers. They got hucked around for a half hour or so & they somehow made ice cream!

Making a slow cooked golden chicken curry with sweet onions, red/green peppers, gold/red taters, celery, baby carrots, spinach, & criminis. Smells sooooo goooood.

I've also made a crab/shrimp salad, a cucumber salad, & a Med salad. Too hot to eat anything not wrapped in lettuce.
damona
too bloody hot to cook...

ideas?

i'm bored with standard lettuce-y salads, and i dislike anything that's loaded with mayo (tuna salad, potato salad, etc).

busties to the rescue?
auralpoison
Okay, Damona, I asked this same question a year & a few days ago. Got very little response (A handful of Busties rec'd salads they liked as opposed to what I was actually looking for. Appreciated anywho!) & we were still in a pretty full swing then.

Apple Pear Walnut Salad

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
1 orange, zested
1/2 cup raisins
4 apples, preferably use 2 to 3 different kinds
2 pears, preferably red & green
2/3 cup walnuts, toasted & coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
In a large bowl whisk together vinegar, orange juice, zest, & raisins. Core/cube apples & pears. Add fruit & walnuts to a bowl & drizzle with oil. Toss well to combine. Season, to taste, with salt & pepper. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.

On a side note, my auntie couldn't recall exactly how I made this, she used plain yogurt & it still tasted great!

Bitter Greens Salad with Caper Vinaigrette Recipe

Ingredients:
1 medium shallot, minced
2 tablespoons capers, drained, rinsed, & finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small head radicchio (about 8 ounces), torn into bite-size pieces, washed, & dried
1 small bunch arugula (about 4 ounces), torn into bite-size pieces, washed, & dried
2 small heads endive (about 6 ounces), torn into bite-size pieces, washed, & dried

Directions:
Combine shallot, capers, parsley, vinegar, & sugar in a large nonreactive serving bowl. While whisking constantly, slowly add oil in a thin stream until completely incorporated.

Add greens & toss to coat, season with salt & freshly ground black pepper, & serve immediately.

Red White & Green Salad

Dressing:
4 scallions (dark green tops only), thinly sliced
1 jalapeño pepper (seeds removed), chopped
1/4 cups (loosely packed) cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil

In a mini food processor or blender, add scallions, 1 teaspoon jalapeño pepper, cilantro, lime juice & salt; pulse to combine. Continue to process while adding olive oil. Once dressing is well blended, taste & adjust spice/heat level with additional jalapeño, being careful not to add too much at one time.

Salad:
1 avocado, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
1 heads (12-ounce) butter or Boston lettuce
12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/4 cups (loosely packed) cilantro leaves
3 ounces ricotta salata
4 scallions (white parts only), thinly sliced

In a small bowl, mix avocado with about half the dressing & set aside. This will prevent the avocado from browning.

Assemble salad by arranging lettuce leaves in bottom of a large serving bowl. Add tomatoes, then cilantro leaves; crumble ricotta salata over the top & sprinkle with scallions. Place avocado in center; serve remaining dressing on the side.

I hope these help! If so, I can add several more!
Persiflager
Not quite lettuce-y....

I like spinach + feta + blood-oranges and a bit of black pepper. Blood-oranges have gone out of season here now, so I can't have it any more sad.gif.

How about a feta and roast tomatoes pasta salad? It does require some cooking, but I don't find that boiling the pasta makes the room too hot, and I stick a couple of tomatoes in the oven when I'm already cooking something else. It's just cooked pasta, olive oil, half a tsp each of salt and sugar, feta, and over-cooked roast tomatoes (so that they're wizened and you can scrape them off the skin).

I am an inexperienced salad-maker, so sorry that I cannot help more!
auralpoison
Damona, I forgot to ask, is there anything you really don't like? Like beets for example? Chickpeas?

A lot of these recipes you could substitute a deli chicken if it's too hot to cook.

Chickpea, Carrot, & Olive Salad with Cumin Vinaigrette

Ingredients:
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
1 cans (15-ounce) chickpeas, rinsed well & drained
2 cups julienned carrot
1/2 cups finely chopped celery
3/4 cups pitted black olives, halved
1/2 cups raisins
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
1/2 cups cilantro leaves

Directions:
To make vinaigrette: In a small pan, toast cumin seeds over medium heat for about 1 minute, shaking pan so seeds do not burn. Transfer to a cutting board & coarsely chop seeds, then place in a small bowl. Add vinegar & then oil in a slow stream, whisking until well blended. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

To make salad: Combine chickpeas, carrot, celery, olives, raisins, chives, & cilantro in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup vinaigrette & mix well to combine. Taste & adjust seasoning with salt & pepper. Serve immediately.

Butter Bean, Tuna, & Celery Salad

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, combined with above olive oil
1/4 cups snipped chives
Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
7 cans (1/2 ounce each) Italian tuna in olive oil, drained*
3 celery stalks with leaves, thinly sliced on the bias
2 cans (15 ounces each) butter beans, drained & rinsed
1 1/2 tablespoons drained capers

Directions:
In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the mustard, then slowly whisk in the olive oil. Stir in the chives & season the lemon-mustard vinaigrette with salt & pepper.

In a large bowl, gently toss the drained tuna with the sliced celery, butter beans, & capers. Add the lemon-mustard vinaigrette & toss to coat the salad. Season the salad with salt & pepper & serve at once.

* This is okay if you use regular tuna. But using a good Euro tuna makes it AMAZING. I listed a few tuna recs on page three in the archives.

Black Bean Salad

Ingredients:
1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, thoroughly rinsed, & drained (or 1 1/2 cup of freshly cooked black beans)*
1 1/2 cups frozen corn, defrosted (or fresh corn, parboiled, drained & cooled)
1/2 cup chopped green onions or shallots
2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded & minced, or 1 whole pickled jalapeño pepper, minced (not seeded)
3 fresh plum tomatoes, seeded & chopped
1 avocado, peeled, seeded, & cut into chunks
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
2 Tbsp lime juice (about the amount of juice from one lime)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar (to taste)
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Make sure to rinse & drain the beans, if you are using canned beans.

In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, onions, jalapeno chile peppers, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, basil, lime juice & olive oil. Add sugar & salt and pepper to taste. (The sugar will help balance the acidity from the tomatoes & lime juice.) Chill before serving.

* I use black soys, FYI.

Broccoli Salad

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon salt
5-6 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 1 pound of florets)
1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
1/2 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
1/4 cup of red onion, chopped
1 cup of frozen peas, thawed (or fresh peas if you can get them)
1 cup mayonnaise*
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup honey**

Directions:
Bring a large pot of water, salted with a teaspoon of salt, to a boil. Add the broccoli florets. Cook 1-2 minutes, depending on how crunchy you want the broccoli. 1 minute will turn the broccoli bright green, & leave it still pretty crunchy. 2 minutes will cook the broccoli through, but still firm. Set your timer & do not cook for more than 2 minutes, or the broccoli will get mushy. Drain the broccoli & immediately put into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Let cool and drain.

Combine broccoli florets, almonds, crumbled bacon, chopped onion, & peas in a large serving bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, cider vinegar & honey. Add dressing to the salad & toss to mix well. Chill thoroughly before serving.

* You can always substitute plain yogurt. I add it to taste as opposed to measure.

** I'm more of a savoury person, so I usually leave this out or add it to taste by tablespoon.

Cardamom Citrus Fruit Salad

Ingredients:
1 large ruby pink grapefruit
3 navel oranges or a combination of naval oranges, blood oranges, mandarin oranges &/or tangerines
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon

Directions:
Peel the fruit. Cut away the membranes of the individual segments with a sharp knife. Collect the peeled segments in a bowl.

Drain off any excess juice from the fruit into a small saucepan. Add the lime juice, honey, & cardamom to the saucepan. Bring to a boil & reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes & then remove from heat & let cool to room temp. Pour over fruit mixture & gently fold in so that all the fruit is coated. Let stand for 15 minutes or chill until ready to serve.

Cherry Tomato Cucumber Feta Salad

Ingredients:
2-3 cups of cherry &/or pear tomatoes, sliced in half
1 cup of chopped cucumber, peeled (and seeded if the seeds are bitter)
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 Tbsp chiffonaded mint leaves
1 teaspoon fresh, chopped oregano
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp of finely chopped shallots or green onions
2 teaspoons olive oil
Coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
Gently toss the tomatoes, cucumber, feta, onions, mint, & oregano together. Dress with lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper to taste.

Chicken Curry Salad

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 lb skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
Salt
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 heaping Tbsp yellow curry powder
1 cup raisins
1 apple (tart or sweet, your preference), peeled, cored, and diced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (just lightly packed)
2 green onions, sliced

Directions:
Heat olive oil on medium/medium-high heat in a thick-bottomed sauté pan. Add chicken pieces & cook, stirring frequently until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle some salt on the chicken pieces while cooking. Check doneness by removing the thickest piece & cutting it in half. If it is still pink in the middle, keep cooking. Try not to overcook the chicken or it will be dry. Remove chicken pieces with a slotted spoon, set aside in a bowl.

Add yellow onion & cook. After a few minutes, when the onions are beginning to get translucent, add 2 heaping tablespoons of yellow curry powder. Cook a few minutes more, stirring frequently. If the curry sticks to the bottom or the mixture gets dry, add a bit more olive oil to the pan. As you stir, scrape up the stuck curry bits. Add raisins, & cook, stirring another minute. Add raisin & onion mixture to chicken & mix well, coating the chicken pieces with the curry infused olive oil. Refrigerate until cool. At this point you can make the salad a day a head of time.

When you are ready to serve the salad, mix in the apple, green onions, & cilantro.

Chinese Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into strips
Salt & pepper
Sesame oil
Grapeseed or canola oil
1/2 head of Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
3-4 scallions, sliced
1 carrot, julienned
1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted

Dressing:
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp dark sesame oil
2 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar (or plain rice vinegar with a teaspoon of sugar)
1 Tbsp grapeseed or canola oil
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes

Directions:
Sprinkle chicken strips with a little salt & pepper & cook them in a small skillet with a little bit of water (just enough so the chicken doesn't stick). Cover & cook until cooked through (3-5 minutes), turning the pieces over half way through cooking. Drain & set aside.

In a large salad bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Adjust to taste. Add the chicken & salad ingredients & toss well. (If you don't have toasted sesame seeds for the salad, add a tablespoon of tahini or peanut butter to the dressing before tossing.)

Circassian Chicken

Ingredients:
2 full chicken breasts (both halves)
4 tablespoons olive or walnut oil
4 teaspoons paprika
1 ½ cups chopped walnuts
3 chopped garlic cloves
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
1 teaspoon cayenne
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 slices of bread, crusts removed
1 quart chicken stock
Salt
Black pepper
The juice of a lemon

Directions:
Bring the chicken stock to a simmer & add the chicken breasts. Add some water if there is not enough liquid to cover the meat. Simmer gently for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat.

Meanwhile, heat the olive or walnut oil in a small pot over low heat & add the paprika. Stir well to combine. Heat until you can smell the aroma of the paprika, then turn off the heat.

Tear the bread into chunks & put into a bowl. Ladle out about a cup or two of the chicken broth & pour it over the bread.

Set aside ½ cup of walnuts & put in a bowl with the green onions & 1 tablespoon of the parsley.

Put the rest of the walnuts into a food processor with the garlic, the cayenne, about a teaspoon of salt, the rest of the parsley & the soaked bread. Buzz to make a thick, relatively chunky paste. If it needs a bit more chicken broth to loosen up, add some a tablespoon at a time.

Stir the paprika-oil, then pour it into the food processor & buzz to combine. Taste the mixture to see if it needs salt.

Pull the skin off the chicken breasts & tear the meat into shreds. Put it in the bowl with the unchopped walnuts, green onions & such.

Add the walnut-paprika paste from the food processor to the bowl & stir gently to combine everything thoroughly. Add black pepper & lemon juice to taste & stir one more time to combine.

Mexican Green Bean Salad

Ingredients:
1 lb fresh green beans, strings removed, ends snapped off, cut in half into about 1 1/2 inch length pieces
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp lime juice or white vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (Mexican oregano if you can get it)
3/4 cup packed, chopped cilantro
1/3 cup canned, pickled jalapeño chili peppers, sliced
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese (salty Mexican cheese that resembles feta)
1/2 avocado, sliced or cut into inch long pieces
1 medium tomato, cut into 8 wedges, or a cup of halved cherry tomatoes

Directions:
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the beans & simmer until just crisp tender, about 5 minutes*. Drain the beans & run cold water over them to cool them quickly. Drain completely.

Place beans in a large bowl. Gently mix in the the lime juice or vinegar, olive oil, 1/4 cup onion, sliced pickled jalapeños, sea salt, oregano & cilantro. Let sit for half an hour.

When ready to serve, gently mix in the chopped red onion & cotija cheese. Serve the avocado slices & tomato wedges on the side or mixed into the salad.

* I prefer to steam them!

White Beans and Cherry Tomato Salad

Ingredients:
1 15-ounce cans of white beans, such as Great Northern or canelli beans, drained & rinsed
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup coarsely chopped parsley

Dressing ingredients:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled & smashed
1 3-inch sprig of fresh rosemary
3 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped (omit for vegetarian option)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup of lemon juice

Directions:
Start by making the dressing. Put the garlic & rosemary in olive oil in a small saucepan. Heat on medium until the rosemary begins to sizzle. Remove the pan from the heat & let sit for 20 minutes, allowing the rosemary & garlic to infuse in the oil.

Remove rosemary sprig from the oil, discard. Remove the garlic from the oil, reserving the oil. Add the garlic, anchovies (omit for vegetarian option), Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, lemon zest, & lemon juice to a food processor. Pulse until smoth.

In a medium bowl, gently fold the garlic mixture in with the beans until they are well coated. Let sit for a few minutes for the beans to absorb. Gently mix in the reserved olive oil, tomatoes, & parsley.
damona
persiflager, that roast tomato idea sounds yummy smile.gif

aural, you are brilliant. most of those sound delish. there's not much i won't try, it's more of what the kidlets will or won't eat, but they're pretty un-picky for little kids. i have to admit, the texture of chickpeas puts me off a bit, though. i think the broccoli salad and the black bean one will go over well, and probably the chinese chicken one. and the pear/apple/walnut one. speaking of...

there was one salad that i had ages ago at somebody's baby shower... it had chicken, grapes, nuts, celery, a couple other things, and some sort of sweetened mayo dressing. the only mayo-type salad i've ever liked. anybody know what i'm talking about?
auralpoison
Aw, shucks. wink.gif

When I have made that pear/apple/walnut salad? I have only ever managed to get one serving of it for myself. People will lick the bowl clean! Last time my NOTORIOUSLY picky grandad even looked at me over his glasses with a grin & said, "Don't even think about gettin' some of tha' salad, I took the last of tha' home last night!"

I know the Circassian chicken sounds weird, but trust me, it's really, really good. I got some really good Hungarian paprika for it & I buy some good crusty bread & it's simply divine.

That baby shower salad sounds like a classic Waldorf, just with chicken, Damona. It's especially good between a pita!

Waldorf Salad

Ingredients:
1 cup chopped, slightly toasted walnuts
1 cup celery, thinly sliced
1 cup red seedless grapes, sliced (or a 1/4 cup of raisins)*
2 sweet apples, cored & chopped
6 Tbsp mayonnaise
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Salt
Pepper
Lettuce

Directions:
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise (or yogurt) & the lemon juice. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper. Mix in the apple, celery, grapes, & walnuts. Serve on a bed of fresh lettuce.

* I like dried cranberries or even dried cherries.

On the tomato tip, I've been known to oil a few up, slap them on my grill (indoor grill I just slice them, outdoors I use fat cherries or firm chunks on skewers) & serve them up warm with some room temp tahini with a squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice/coarse salt & pepper to perk things up.
pepper
Do you sprout at all? Sprouted lentils in salad are so darn good and turn a green salad into a full meal. I like them with tomatoes, parsley, red onion, celery and a vinagrette.
Sometimes I sprout quinoa to use in a no-cook tabouli like salad.
Fresh corn cut off the cob is amazing in any salad too, it's great with the lentil sprout salad with or without the lentils.

Any of those are nice in a wrap too.

One thing I feed the kids when I'm not feeling like cooking are soft tacos. Just warm a can of kidney beans and mash them up with a fork, serve with diced tomato, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, sliced black olives, cubed avocado, sour cream or yogurt. I do briefly heat up soft corn tortillas but you don't have to, you can use a romaine lettuce leaf or a cold wheat tortilla. My kids would happily eat that every day if I let them.
auralpoison
I keep wanting to like lentils, I do. Turbo managed to sell me on the red ones since they pretty much disintegrate upon cooking, but I just can't seem to do any other kind. They look tasty, they do. Perhaps I will try sprouting some & see how that goes. I do like sprouts. *sigh*
damona
hmmm... i love sprouts, but i don't trust the store bought ones. my mom used to have a special sprouting jar. so... how would i go about sprouting things? and what sort of things does one sprout? lol. i hate sounding this helpless, but i honestly don't know where to start. i mean, i get the theory, but it's getting started that's the issue!

i never could get into lentils, either. strange texture. (who, me? texture sensitive? *whistles innocently*)

i forgot to say that my boys have some food issues and sensitivities. to be more specific, my oldest can't tolerate msg or a lot of colorings/additives (although he likes to think he can... grr...), #2 can eat anything but lives on yogurt and pb&j, my 3rd is stringently gfcf or else he gets horribly sick and his behavior goes completely bonkers, and #4 will eat just about anything (seriously) but can't drink milk or overdo on the dairy (gut troubles).

so. that's why i'm horribly bored with our usual menus. i'm a good cook when it comes to stuff like soups and chili and hearty, filling stuff, but not so much on lighter fare.

don't worry too much about putting up recipes that are gfcf tho, cuz i'm pretty good at changing stuff around to make it work.

i got a recipe from my neighbour that i'll share here smile.gif

broccoli salad

1 head of fresh broccoli, broken into bite size florets

1 head fresh cauliflower, same

5 pieces string cheese, cut into bite size pieces

1/4 - 1/2c. ranch dressing

1/4c sour cream

1/4 - 1/3 c mayo (or do all ranch if you want)

mix everything together and serve cold.

she says that you can adjust the dressing/sour cream/mayo as you see fit, and that she's used american, mozzerella, colby, cojack... whatever's on hand.

i made this with tofutti sour cream and sort of improv'd the ranch dressing. it was pretty good.
auralpoison
QUOTE(damona @ Jul 12 2010, 10:53 PM) *
hmmm... i love sprouts, but i don't trust the store bought ones. my mom used to have a special sprouting jar. so... how would i go about sprouting things? and what sort of things does one sprout? lol. i hate sounding this helpless, but i honestly don't know where to start. i mean, i get the theory, but it's getting started that's the issue!

This has become my favorite phrase as of late: Google that shit! I did & it looks pretty straightforward as far as getting started on your own little sprout farm. I have a brown thumb, so I'll stick to the store bought variety, though.

My mom used to make a salad much like your neighbor's, except hers included canned button mushrooms, pimientos, & fresh chopped spring onion tossed with Italian dressing.

Dumb question: When was it decided that ranch is the universal condiment/flavoring? I've never liked ranch & neither did anybody in my family growing up. I just remember some point in junior high all of the girls at lunch time switching to ranch on their salads/french fries/anything. I never liked the looks of it, never found the taste very appealing. But it seems like if you toss a little ranch on something everybody will eat it!
ketto
Mmmm...these sounds like good salads. My favourite (and one that paperboy frequently requests) is similar to the apple/pear one. I use candied walnuts though - a basic vinaigrette or sometimes creamy poppyseed dressing, either goat or blue cheese (paperboy hates blue but I love it), apples, pears, strawberries, toasted sunflower seeds, craisins and maybe grilled chicken. Mmmm...I think I will have exactly that for dinner tonight.
pepper
Ranch = gross for me too. Some fool introduced it and blue cheese dressing to my kid though and he loves it, oh great. Dairy is not a thing I like to have a lot of, it messes w all of us.

Sprouting lentils is ridiculously easy, really.

-Put about an inch of lentils in the bottom of a mason jar (I use a wide mouthed jar, it's easier to get things in and out of it).
-Fill jar with water and leave for 8-12 hours (I leave it overnight).
-cut a piece of window screen (Not the metal kind!) or pantyhose or cheesecloth so it overlaps the jar mouth by about 1 inch all around, put it over the mouth and screw the ring cap on (minus the flat lid part).
-Drain the water, invert jar and rest on a bit of an angle in the dish rack.
-Rinse every 12 hours or so (once in the morning and once at night) until the sprout is the same length as the lentil (that's optimum nutrition stage).
-Store in fridge in the jar for about a week.

They are alive so they'll continue to grow but very slowly in the cold environment of the refrigerator.

There are some great recipes for creamy sauces made out of combos of nuts and seeds (madadamia, cashew, sunflower, etc) that taste incredible. You can get a cheesy tasting sauce by adding nutritional yeast flakes too, even my kids like that one. Well, one of them anyhow. The sunny raw kitchen blog, seriously, check it out. The raw vegan diet is fairly allergen free and you can alter the recipes with ingreds or heat very easily.

Darn it. Now I'm hungry!
Persiflager
I indulged in lemon drizzle cake at the weekend (though regretted having the oven on!). It was suitably wasy for a simpleton like myself, and went down well with the boy's parents.

Ingredients
225g unsalted butter , softened
225g caster sugar
4 eggs
finely grated zest 1 lemon
225g self-raising flour

FOR THE DRIZZLE TOPPING
juice 11⁄2 lemon
85g caster sugar

Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, then add the eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through. Sift in the flour, then add the lemon zest and mix until well combined. Line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.

Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the lemon juice and sugar to make the drizzle. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle - the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping. Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve. Will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
ketto
Pepper, I read someone's raw food blog and she's always making nut "cheeses". Here's her Caraway Cottage Cheeze recipe: http://www.addictedtoveggies.com/2010/05/c...age-cheeze.html
deschatsrouge
*BARGE!*

Um...so...sourdough... I was wondering if any one wanted to talk about sourdough? I inherited some sour dough started from my upstairs neighbor who didn't want the responsibility of taking care of it. It is kind of like having a pet really; it needs to be fed and kept in a warm place and it has to be on a schedule. Despite the responsibility I have grown to like it. I have named it. I call my sourdough starter The Bitch.

Mrs. Rouge and I have made bread with it from my copy of Secrets of the Jewish Baker. Mrs. Rouge and I also made pancakes. I'm in the process right now of usisng my formal culinary training and writing a recipe for a large Italian style sour dough loaf based on two Greenstein recipies from the "Jewish Baker" book.

I was wondering if anyone has ever kept a sourdough starter for a long period of time, an what interesting and creative ways they used it.
pants
We did some really nice cashew ricotta a couple weeks ago. It came from Veganomicon (a book I have been very pleased with so far, despite the fact that I am not a vegan) I think there are some variations on it and other nut cheeses, in the same book and in Vegan Brunch by the same author.

Deschatsrouge, I don't have any experience with sourdough starter but WANT to gain some. The problem at my current house is that it's hard to find a good spot to keep it since the temperature can fluctuate quite drastically, we have almost no insulation, so when it gets cold and rainy outside it gets pretty chilly in the house as well. Anyhow, where do you keep The Bitch to keep her alive, and how does her schedule work?
damona
deschat, i adore sourdough. i've never had any luck keeping a starter going, though. it's like plants. i kill plants. i'm amazed i've kept my children alive this long sometimes. anyway. ramble, sorry. anyway. my mom used to have a starter going. she had it for a couple years and she made bread or biscuits or something about once a week. it was a tasty time.
auralpoison
Yeah, I have a brown thumb & am a killer of starters as well, Damona.

NPR's shredded salad recipes.
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(pants @ Jul 20 2010, 09:35 AM) *
Deschatsrouge, I don't have any experience with sourdough starter but WANT to gain some. The problem at my current house is that it's hard to find a good spot to keep it since the temperature can fluctuate quite drastically, we have almost no insulation, so when it gets cold and rainy outside it gets pretty chilly in the house as well. Anyhow, where do you keep The Bitch to keep her alive, and how does her schedule work?

If you want to start a sourdough starter there are directions on allrecipes.com. The Bitch is supposed to be on a ten day schedule. with feedings on the first and fifth day. Baking day is on the tenth day. I have found that I can stretch the schedule up to fourteen days with feedings on the first and seventh days and baking on day fourteen. I'm pretty lucky that my apartment has not drafts and the temp stays pretty consistent. (This is mainly because the person who controls the thermostat is eighty-two years old and cold all the time) Because of this, I can just keep her in a plastic, lidded, dollar store pitcher on my kitchen counter. the only daily maintenance she needs being sloshed around to mix her.

Persiflager
Feeling good about my salad yesterday!

I grilled an extra chicken breast at dinner (just with butter, lemon, salt and pepper) and had it cold with mixed greens, goats cheese, a sliced nectarine and some walnut oil. Yum!

My teenage self would be shocked to find out that salads can have meat, cheese and fruit in them rolleyes.gif
damona
since it's farmers market season, i've been all kinds of adventurous lately. i bought a couple of small heirloom eggplant on thursday. tried cutting one into wedges and roasting with olive oil and salt. i thought it was good, but it went over like a lead balloon with the kids. anyone have any ideas for the other one i've got sitting on my counter?

my mom gave me 3 grocery bags full of the malformed and beat up tomatoes from her garden yesterday, so i spent a couple hours washing, blanching, peeling and freezing the whole tomatoes last night. i ran out of room in my freezer so i ran over to The Boy's apartment with the last tray of them and when his mom woke up this morning i got a "what the hell is in my freezer" text message. she said it looked like a tray of hearts lol. i'm waiting for the rest of the ones my mom doesn't want and to see if i get any more from the market, and then i'll cook them all down and put up jars of spaghetti sauce and ketchup. i need to pick up a tray of half pint jars for the ketchup, too.

here's a question... what does one do with 5 pounds of pasture raised beef liver? the lady i buy beef from gave me all this liver, a 2 pound pkg of oxtails, and 5 pounds of soup bones... free! i certainly wasn't going to turn it down lol but i'm not sure what to do with the liver. liver and onions or bacon is ok now and then, but what else can i do with it? any ideas? i haven't found any real inspiration in my cookbook collection, so i was hoping one of you lovely ladies could help me out. smile.gif
auralpoison
Wow. You are asking for basically a miracle there, Damona! Short of coating them in herbed breadcrumbs/parm cheese & frying/broiling them, I dunno what you'd have to do to an eggplant to get a kid to eat it voluntarily. Maybe an eggplant parm or a ratatouille?

And I have no idea what one would do with that much liver. Holy moly. That's a lotta liver!

Hmmmmm . . . now I have a yen for chopped liver on rye.

pollystyrene
When I was a kid, my great-grandmother used to make a chopped eggplant salad. This was my Jewish side, so it was an Eastern European recipe, similar to Melitzanosalata, the Greek chopped eggplant salad. You can also find similar recipes if you search for Romamian or Israeli chopped eggplant salad. My great-grandmother never wrote down a recipe- my cousin tried to work with her at one point to get the recipes down on paper before she died, but her health and memory were already failing, so nothing turned out quite right (let that be a lesson to everyone- get your family recipes on paper sooner rather than later!)

Anyway, back when I was a kid, I liked it, but I ate things most kids didn't (chopped herring, gefilte fish, canned sardines, black olives...) It's still got that tangy-ness that eggplant has- it doesn't really become more mild like it does with eggplant parmesan. Like AP said, eggplant parmesam might be the way to go- coat it in enough cheese and tomato sauce and I can't imagine them having a problem with it.

The funny thing is that now I don't really like eggplant anymore. If I had chopped salad like my Baubi used to make it, I'd try it, but I've never found one that comes close :-(

As for the liver...<shudder> that was one of the few things I didn't like as a kid and still don't like now.
pepper
*wants Damona's ketchup recipe* tongue.gif

Good luck with the eggplant. Maybe a dip of some sort? Not a flavour I've ever really enjoyed so haven't given it a go with the kids...
auralpoison
Okay, time for AP's next big foodie question! The flouring of meat before browning: where do you stand? I looked up several different recipes for the same foods (casseroles, soups, etc.) & found that some recipes called for flouring before & some didn't. And the reasons for why we do it? I really couldn't find a clear answer from my cookbooks or from the web. Basically I concluded from all the data considered that it seals in the juices/acts as a thickening roux & as such enhances flavor. What do you think?

Tonight's menu choices: either chicken livers, mushrooms, & onions with Marsala/sage or crabcakes & fresh slaw with tomaters & spring onions. Or a corndog with mustard. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.