Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: barefoot, precocious, and in the kitchen
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
quantumspice
probabloy about a week....
opheliathemuse
3-5 days.
raisingirl
Sequined nipples. hahaha!
erinjane
The "chocolate orgasms" where delicious, though i wouldn't say orgasmic.
raisingirl
Would you make them again, Erin? That's the ultimate test.

Um, because I NEED another excuse to have chocolate?!
erinjane
Haha, yes, I would. I had a party and everyone was raving over them. I think it's just because I'm not used to unsweetened chocolate, and I've never much liked bittersweet so I wasn't quite used to the taste.
sixelacat
Oh, that totally makes me want to try them, I love bitter/dark chocolate.....damn, my "healthy whole foods" kick is flying right out the window....
pollystyrene
Anyone have a recipe for a cold Asian chicken noodle salad, with veggies in it? I want to make one for a party this weekend.
puppykitty
polly, I eat this a lot, and it's easy:

Soba noodles
edamame
whatever veggies I want, steamed and cooled.

Cook the soba about 5 minutes, then rinse in cold water. Do the same with the edamame. Toss it all together with your fave dressing and chill.

You could also just blanch and shock the veggies.

For dressing, you could make a rice wine vinaigrette, peanut sauce, or just some sesame oil.

It's really light and refreshing, and it tastes soooo good. Of course, you can just add chicken to make it a chicken salad. In that case, you can leave out the edamame if you want, but I think it's good.

pollystyrene
Oh no, I have the Costco bag of edamame in my freezer puppykitty- I usually fill a sandwich or quart size ziploc bag for a snack at work. So yes, I like edamame.

I assume you de-shell it before putting it in there? I've never cooked with it, so just checking.
puppykitty
Yes, you cook it in the shell, then you pop the beans out into the noodles.

What kind of dressing do you think you'll use?
pepper
have you tried this dressing? i could drink it right out of the bottle, i swear. how do they make miso, vinager and nutritional yeast taste like That?! it is hands down the best dressing i have Ever tasted. Ever.
quantumspice
last night, i bought some fresh pasta at the open market, and made it for dinner. OMG it was soooo good - simply made, too, just tossed with some of my favorite jarred marinara sauce (barilla's tomato-basil -- i do prefer tj's tomato-basil, but haven't made my way there yet, but barilla's is a good solid second) and some chopped fresh moz.

(i also had a salad, but really, that's not terribly exciting)

monday, the market's open again, and i'm going to run back there to get more pasta than i can shake a stick at! i'm planning on getting some saffron linguine, the pumpkin-sage gnocchi, a TON of the regular linguine/fettucine/spaghetti, some of the more interesting raviolis, flat egg noodle panels (for lasagne), blah blah blah. all in single serving packages, and tossed in the freezer!

the saffron linguine, i've already got plans for ... a quick sauce made from garlic and olive oil, chopped fresh tomato, flat leaf parsley, salt, pepper, and a splash of white wine.
roseviolet
Q, that pasta sounds amazing! Tell us what else you get so that we can live vicariously through you :-)

My parents were visiting us recently and, as a thank you gift, my mother got me the America's Test Kitchen's cookbook. It's very nice in that it has tons of glorious, fool-proof recipes. But sadly, it doesn't include all the lovely commentary you get in the issues of Cook Illustrated. So I won't be throwing out my old issues. But it's nice to have so many of their recipes in one place. And just having a new book around has truly inspired me. In the last week I've made smothered pork chops, cinnamon rolls, tomatoe & mozzarella tart, stuffed peppers, lemon pound cake ... and I forget what else! And happily, it has all turned out very very well. I think my favorite is the tomateo tart because it was so easy and delicious (horray for summer tomatoes!).
pepper
veggie lasagne for the first ever time tonight! i used veggie ground round and pine nuts, cottage cheese, red onions and mushrooms. hope it turns out.
hellotampon
My boyfriend and I decided at the very last minute to have a party on Tuesday night. We ran out to the store and ended up having a veggie-cue, with veggie burgers and corn on the cob, and shish kebabs.

For the shish kebabs I used 3 colors of bell peppers, baby bella mushrooms, purple onion, red potato, and zucchini. I marinated them in oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard powder, parsley, vegan worcestershire sauce, and I think that's it?

I also put chunks of tofu on the kebabs. I marinated those in soy sauce, garlic, and lemon pepper seasoning for hours.
zora
Roseviolet, if you like Cook's, I would reccomend "The Best Recipe." It has all the articles along with the recipes.
turbojenn
Oh, how I adore Cook's Illustrated! I can't cook much of what they have in these dairy-less times, but I do just love reading it cover to cover, and the recipes really do turn out very well.

Ok, so by popular request in the tr*ll thread, here is the recipe for fried wontons with nutella and marshmallow...its sooo easy.

1. Buy your wontons, nutella, and bag of mini marshmallows
2. Put some water in a small dish and set up your assembly line.
3. In the center of each wonton, place 1/2 tsp of nutella and a mini marshmallow. (overstuffing is really easy, so watch out!)
4. Dip your finger in water and wipe the water along two adjoining sides of the wonton.
5. Gently fold the wonton over onto the watered edges, making a triangle, and press the edges together with your fingers making a nice seal.
6. Heat a non-stick frying pan and pour in enough vegetable oil to generously cover the bottom of the pan.
7. When the oil is hot, add a few wontons to the pan - don't let them touch, or overcrowd the pan. Turn after about 20 seconds, when the wonton just begins to turn the barest golden. Wait another 20 seconds, and then whisk them out of the pan, onto some paper towel, and eat while still warm and gooey!

If you're feeling fancy, or having guests over, you can sift powdered sugar over top, and garnish with a slilce or two of fresh strawberry. MMMM......

Enjoy!!

pollystyrene
That sounds so good! I'm not a big marshmallow fan, but I bet I could put a chunk of banana or something in there- I made banana ravioli with chocolate pasta, with a caramel sauce for Valentine's Day a couple years ago- damn, that was good. I need to work on my pasta making technique, though.

I love Cook's Illustrated too- I just got a real subscription to it and I got a free digital timer. I put the one I had in the bathroom to make sure I was brushing my teeth long enough...oh, no I was not. Two minutes is a lot longer than you think!
ms.gb
mmm....bagged salad, with freshly cubed cucumber, grape tomatoes, pre cooked chicken pieces and pecorino cheese with a balsamic dressing...yum

and for a side, frozen southwestern corn bean relish with chicken and avocado....mmmmmmm tongue.gif

actually, this is more like two meals...lol
zora
I managed to make lunches at work that lasted almost all week. Sunday, I had an avacado, tomato and mozzerella sandwich that I squirted lime juice over, then I wrapped the avacado and the mozzerella and saved it. The next day I had hummus and pita, saved the leftovers. Then yesterday and today I had the leftovers in a lovely form. Cubed the avacado, mozzerella, tomato and stirred in the remaining hummus, added lemon juice and then ate it wrapped in the pita. I'm kind of proud of this for some reason. There are advantages to working in a grocery store.
quantumspice
i have some interesting new ingredients to play with, including fig balsamic vinegar and truffle salt.
lorewolf
Must... Try... TurboJen's... Idea..! ohmy.gif
quietmadness
Tonight I'm making meatloaf, corn pudding, mandarin salad and strawberry mousse tiramisu.

Kind of a lot of mixing---but it's sure to be worth it! smile.gif
bunnyb
Oh my, I've just found a Green & Black's recipe book on Amazon ohmy.gif
roseviolet
Oh my loooooord, Bunny! I just looked up that book on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/190492003...TF8&s=books

Huminahuminahumina! I think I'll have to bat my eyelashes at the husband & ask him to buy that for me with his next order. I don't think he'll need much convincing, though. wink.gif
ms.gb
i am so craving a chicken, broccoli and rice recipe but all i've got is a bad memory of cream of mush in my moms..anyone got anything???
pollystyrene
Funny, I had chicken, broccoli and rice the other night! You're probably looking for more of a casserole/comfort food thing, but I marinated chicken breasts in a honey-ginger dressing, teriyaki, Thai garlic-chili sauce and some peanut sauce, then grilled them. I used brown rice, some broccoli and chopped up the chicken. Oh, and I cooked the marinade so I could use it as a sauce on top. It was really good.

Thawing question: I have some friends coming into town this weekend and I wanted to make this crock-pot pulled pork recipe that a co-worker gave me. Problem is, I don't know if I'll be seeing these friends Friday, Saturday or at all. The pork loin is currently frozen and if I'm not going to see them, I'm not going to make it. So, I'm not thawing it tonight, since I don't know what's going on, but I should know by tomorrow afternoon. If I'm going to see them Friday, I'm not going to bother since I wouldn't be able to thaw it and cook it for 8 hours by then. If i'm going to see them Saturday evening, it will have to cook all day, so what's the quickest, safest way to thaw it so it will be done by Saturday morning? Run it under the faucet all night (doesn't seem safe), put in in the fridge (not quick)...any other ideas? Ot should I just give up on the pulled pork idea for this weekend?
treehugger
Polly,

Do you have a pressure cooker? I've cooked (not pork but beef) all the way from frozen in one. It requires a bit more attention but (and it'd depend on the size of the roast) but I'd think it could be done in like an hour and a half, maybe even just an hour, on high pressure...and it'd be shreddable.

And then I'd think that it could probably be kept in a fridge and reheated.

tesao
dear delicious goddess ones:

i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed you!!

i have been without an oven since mid may. i am leasing a furnished apartment, and have one frying pan, two sauce pans (one small, one slightly larger) and a weird looking thing that you can boil liquids in that has a spout. i have a grater and some really crappy knives. and that is about it.

i have made a lot of things on the stovetop, which, thankfully, works. i have made curries, carbonnade, sauteed fish, sauteed shrimp with garlic and lime juice, red beans and rice.... i need something easy that doesn't require a blender or a food processor or an OVEN. (if i had an oven i could make my ex-roomie's famous chicken tits in orange sauce)

puh-leaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase help me???? Q??? you out there???? heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
quantumspice
how big is your frying pan?
tesao
how big is my ...... SIZE QUEEN!!!!

um. medium. not large. could maybe hold 3-4 pieces of chicken if you were frying it. tongue.gif
quantumspice
does it have a lid? or could you get something lid-like?

coz i've got some idears wink.gif
mornington
tes, that sounds just like my ex's apartment! This became a staple food for us - you can fiddle the recipe to suit your ingredients, maybe try fresh fish? (we were living on a serious budget).

We call it "courgette suprise" and we ate this at least three times a week. It's a wee bit studenty, but is tasty for when you've had a long day.
Courgettes (if it's just you, you'll only need one), carrots (as for the courgettes), green beans, one onion, tin of chickpeas, tin of tuna, tomato puree, chillis (either in puree or chopped form). If you like: cauliflower, any other veg you have a taste for, fresh tomatoes. You'll need your frying pan and a shitty knife.

Chop all your veg as though you were about to stir-fry them. Melt a little butter, add some olive oil, and soften the onion and the chillis if you're using fresh. Then add the rest of the veg, and about a cup of water. Then add tomato puree (about a tablespoon - less if you've got real ones). Fling in the chickpeas and tuna. Simmer until the veg is soft, adding more water if you need it, making a little sauce. Goes well with rice or couscous.

Also... marinade chicken pieces in a mix of lemon juice, garlic and chilli - harissa if you can get it - then fry them in flour (instead of breadcrumbs). This seems to work if you do it in sunflower oil.
pepper
ugh, it is so hot.
i caved and bought a ghetto bbq for 5$ at wallyworld today. it's about the size of a frying pan and feels like it's made out of black spray painted tinfoil but... it's all that will fit on my postage sized patio and it's out there right now along with the rice cooker just about ready to receive some veggie tofu kebabs and my apartment hasn't gotten any more unbearably hot then it already is.
meh, i give. soon as i finds me a wee propane hibatchi i'm dragging it home. i'm afraid to go too far from the deck lest i start a fire out there with a charcoal grill (just light the bag briquettes my ass!).
raisingirl
Tesao, I may be stating the obvious here, but if you've got a lid or lid-like object you can use on the large frying pan, you could probably make soup. Not a whole lot of soup, but a small amount. Maybe?

I've been thinking about how little I use my oven (I'm veg, so there you go -- no Sunday roasts with potatoes for me) with the exception of BAKING DESSERTS, and, you know, not having an oven would be totally doable -- IF you had more supplies so you could make the most of the stove.

What does your maid do since you have a limited amount of kitchen supplies? Is it what she's used to, or is it sparse even for a furnished flat in a developing nation? I realize I'm setting you up for a long answer by asking this, but I'm all ears! (And eyes, apparently -- or PM me if you feel so inclined.)
msp
Tes, you know I'm forever throwing recipes up on my blog, and most of them are pretty basic. I've got a lot that don't require an oven, especially since it's summer and all I want to eat are salads and simple soups.
quantumspice
with the lid, if you can get your hands on some wine and rosemary ... you could do a stove-top coq au vin pour un tongue.gif

or french onion soup! (or other soups!)

but really what i was thinking was this pork chop and rosemary dish that i love to make - totally stovetop.
turbojenn
ah, but raisin....my favoritest things ever are to roast up a whole bunch of root veg in the oven with garlic, rosemary, thyme, pepper, salt and olive oil. Dead simple, but damn, I could eat it every day...no good for summer cooking, but come fall.....the scent of rosemary and garlic wafts through the house often.

I do lots of your basic stir-frying on the stovetop, and with your HUGE cashews and pineapple, I'd be all over that, with a little swweet teryaki and chiles. YUM.
bunnyb
HUGE cashews and pineapple? Mmmmm.

Succumbed and bought the Green & Black's cookbook unsure.gif .
karianne
oooh, bunny, you must report back after you've made something. What sorts of recipes are in the book?

Last night I made a recipe I got out of Food & Wine mag. It was this delicious & decadent Thai peanut sauce brushed onto chicken & mangos. The chicken & mango were put on skewers & grilled. Yum.
yuefie
Hello all you lovely mavens of cuisine! I am fairly new to the world of lamb. I just discovered I liked it this weekend when I tried the lamb chops my sister ordered after she insisted (read: threatened) I do so. I was shocked at how tender and delicious they were, also very rich. I've never been much for meat, was veg for a few years, but fell off the wagon pretty hard. If I were alone I probably would never cook meat, but end up preparing it for my family because well, I'm the only one who loves to cook and they all love to eat. My brother and sister both love lamb. It's something I've never attempted to prepare, but after tasting it decided I would like to suprise them both. I have this fantastic recipe I've used on pork chops and chicken breast that I think would be even lovelier with lamb. It's a marsala & beef stock reduction with carmelized shallots and fresh rosemary. It's definetely one their favorite dishes and I just think it would be even better with some lamb. Any hints as far as the preperation of the meat goes? I''ve heard it's easy to overcook lamb so I am afraid of the meat not being as tender as it was the restaurant.

msp
QUOTE(yuefie @ Jul 26 2006, 01:39 PM) *

Any hints as far as the preperation of the meat goes? I''ve heard it's easy to overcook lamb so I am afraid of the meat not being as tender as it was the restaurant.

Lamb braises well, and it keeps the meat from drying out. Another tip is to use lamb still on the bone - cooking any meat on the bone helps ensure against drying out. Doesn't prevent it entirely, but helps. I don't make lamb very often either, but we sometimes have it for Christmas and/or Easter. This past Easter I braised lamb shanks in vinegar and tomatoes, and they were fabulous. (Next time I'd cut back on the vinegar - it was a touch too much - but, you live you learn.)

Anyway. Without seeing the exact recipe you're talking about, it's hard to make suggestions. I would maybe to try to find a way to have the lamb cooking in the sauce, before you reduce, on a low heat, for a long time. Lamb's not more prone to drying out than chicken breasts, so I'm also tempted to tell you just to treat the lamb as you would chicken. Or, you could do it in the crock pot, then reduce the sauce on the stove.

Any of those work for you?
turbojenn
yuefie - Lamb is one of the few meats that my body really digests well, so we eat a fair amount. My favorite though, is grilled lamburgers. I mix 1 lb ground lamb with salt, pepper, some minced fresh basil, a clove of garlic, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, couple dashes of allspice, and mix it all up, and then form your patties. I usually make the patties up about an hour before I grill so the flavors can blend.

Lamb can be very expensive, so I like going with the ground, which I can get for about $6lb at Whole Foods here.

Damn! Now I want lamburgers for dinner...off to the grocery I go this afternoon....
auralpoison
Oh, man, lamb is devine! I like to marinate it overnight with garlic, mint, & plain yogurt. Slap 'em on the grille whole or make kabobs. So good.
yuefie
Mmm, thanks for the pointers msp, turbo and aural. I've been poking around the net too to get some idears. So, I think we are going out for dinner tonight in honor of our dearly departed mama, and I'm pretty sure we are going somewhere that has fabulous lamb. I might order it myself this time, and study it wink.gif

quantumspice
QUOTE(turbojenn @ Jul 26 2006, 02:56 PM) *

Lamb can be very expensive, so I like going with the ground, which I can get for about $6lb at Whole Foods here.

at the open market here, ground lamb is $4, and shanks $2-3... but when you get to whole leg or chops, it goes up to $5-7 for whole (but partial legs - ones where the shanks have been removed - are $4)...

but, there's three or four butchers specializing in lamb/goat, so they have to keep competitive.

i really like to braise lamb shanks. it's so easy, and it's always so tender and juicy and yummy. but, not particularly summer-friendly.
quietmadness
I've never cooked or eaten lamb.

Can Y'all tell me what it tastes like, and do you have any do's & don'ts for preparing it? Thanks... unsure.gif
raisingirl
Oh gosh, all this talk of lamb! I grew up eating lamb kebabs on a regular basis. Almost drooling here, almost. I miss shish kebab more than lamb kebab, though. MaRaisin also made lamb chops on a regular basis.

((((Yuefie and your mom))))

Turbojenn, right, it's summer and I've temporarily forgotten about roasted vegetables! I do that often in the winter, too. And, well, I guess I do make gratins in the oven, too, along with tarts (mmm, onion!)... okay, I lie, I guess I do use my oven for more than desserts. Sorry, Tes. heh.

And speaking of desserts, I'm going to make a blueberry cobbler today and after a friend's performance in an opera (ooh, the opera), we're going to go out for mojitos and periodistas (I so can't pronounce that word). My plan is to lure them back to Chez Raisin for the cobbler so it can soak up some of the alcohol. Why don't I have a porch or at least rooftop access? ::shakes fist at city living::
msp
QUOTE(quantumspice @ Jul 27 2006, 06:50 AM) *

it's so easy, and it's always so tender and juicy and yummy. but, not particularly summer-friendly.

This is true. It's kind of a heavy meal... well, except in gyros, but then you're not eating just a big ol' hunk of meat. God I love a good gyro.

You could also go with the crock pot. Same results, but you don't heat up the whole kitchen. I'm a huge, huge fan of the crock pot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.