Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: barefoot, precocious, and in the kitchen
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
bunnyb
apologies for double-post: seem to have lost guacamole recipes in post. Do you all use garlic or onion or both? Picked up some lovely avocadoes and tomatoes and making guac in the morning. I have the nicest guacamole flavour tortilla chips to go with!
quantumspice
My guacamole recipe is as follows:

INGREDIENTS
4 ripe but firm avocados, peeled, pitted and cubed or mashed
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3 small tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
3 chipotle in adobo, chopped, with a dollop of adobo sauce
The juice of 1 lime
Pinch of salt

Stir together all ingredients in a medium bowl. Serve immediately.

sometimes i put a pinch of cayenne or cumin in there, too. i usually mash 2 or 3 of the avocados and cube the remain ones so it's kinda chunky. best way, i tell you.

and, while NOT guac, this is quite yummy:

Tomato-Avocado Salad with Lime-Toasted Cumin-Cilantro Vinaigrette

4 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
Lime-Toasted Cumin-Cilantro Vinaigrette, recipe follows
2 large ripe Haas avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into 1-inch chunks
3 coconuts, halved and drained
Cilantro leaves, for garnish

Combine tomatoes, onion, and dressing, to taste, and toss to combine. Add avocado and gently mix, being careful not to break up the avocado too much. Place 1 coconut 1/2 in 6 bowls. Spoon the salad among the coconuts. Garnish with cilantro leaves.

Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, lightly toasted and ground
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup canola/olive oil blend

Combine lime juice, vinegar, honey, cumin, cilantro, salt, and pepper in a bowl and whisk to combine. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the oil. Whisk until well-combined. Reseason with salt and pepper, if necessary.
turbojenn
*drools* I am totally going to make your tomato avocado salad this week - that sounds amazing! I might add a little cooked shrimp to it....
quantumspice
it is fab! i don't normally put it in coconuts because fresh ones are hardish to find here, though.
pollystyrene
I'm going to the Farmer's Market tomorrow (the Evanston one, Turbo) and I'm going to look for tomato and cilantro- that looks so good.
pollystyrene
By request in the Busting Trolls thread, here's my baklava recipe:

Baklava
Serves 10-12

Filling
1 lb. walnuts, coarsely chopped
3 T sugar
1/2 t cinnamon

Pastry
1 lb. pkg. Phyllo dough
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted

Syrup
1 1/2 C sugar
2 1/2 C water
1 large cinnamon stick
2-3 whole cloves
1 T lemon juice
2 T clear honey

Preheat oven to 350°

Defrost pastry if needed and keep it covered with a damp cloth, as it dries out quickly. Mix all the filling ingredients in a bowl. Butter the base of a large rectangular roasting pan (approx. 15 x 10 in.) and cover it neatly with 5-6 sheets of pastry, brushing each layer with butter before lifting it from the stack. Fold in the excess length of each sheet at alternating ends. Spread half of the filling over the pastry and cover it with 3 more layers of buttered pastry. Spread over the remaining filling and fold over all the edges, enclosing the filling neatly. Butter each remaining sheet of pastry and cover top neatly. Cut through only the top layers of pastry to form small oblong or diamond shapes to facilitate serving once it has been cooked. Sprinkle the edges with cold water to prevent curling. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Turn heat up to 375° and bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Let cool before adding syrup.

Mix syrup ingredients except for the honey and boil for 8-10 minutes. Add honey and simmer for another 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Discard cinnamon and cloves and pour the syrup slowly over the cooled baklava. Let stand for 10 minutes until all the syrup has been absorbed and it looks glossy on top. If kept covered, it will keep at room temperature for 2-3 days.
turbojenn
I was at the evanston farmers market this morning too, polly! I got some amazing tomatoes...I grow cilantro, so I'm set there. I bought way too much stuff, as usual, but the problem this time was that I was on my bike...so both bags were stuffed full, and I had a couple small bags hanging off my handlebars....it was a slow ride home...it was a little wonky balance wise.
pollystyrene
That was my first time there, turbo- it was great. We did the Logan Square one last weekend and it was nice but only a few booths. Today we got tomatoes, cilantro, peaches and plums. Someone was selling pots of basil plants, and I didn't make it back there to buy one. I was going to grow some herbs indoors over the winter, so that will set me ahead. Perhaps next weekend. Hmm, you grow cilantro? I'm having issues with my cilantro, but I'll PM you about it.

I'll get those baklava measurements tomorrow.
turbojenn
rosemary grows wonderfully indoors through the winter. Basil, I don't have much success with, as we're on the north side of our building, and we don't get any direct sunlight. I do use a humidifier in the winter to help me, and my plants survive. My cilantro did OK this year, but I think next year, I'll give it its own pot, and a deeper one.
anoushh
I'd guess that those measurements are straight cups, PS.

I think that looks pretty good! I'm Armenian (therefore picky about this particular dish) and we call it palklava, and Armenian recipes usually leave out the honey in the syrup (which works for me as I don't care much for honey). My family recipe also doesn't use cloves, but no reason not to. My mother always says "make sure you put enough cinnamon in the filling and be sure it bakes until it turns golden brown."--that albino looking stuff you sometimes see is really off-putting. It should be golden, not white.

It does need a lot of syrup, though (it really soaks in) so like I say, I wouldn't be surprised if those were meant to be full cup measurements, rather than fractions. It would be in my recipe, anyway!

I've never sprinkled the edges with water before baking--wonder if I'd notice a difference. And you can do the filling on just one batch in the middle, rather than two. It's what I do, but it's totally a matter of preference. If you do use one layer of filling use about 2/3 of the phyllo on the bottom as it compacts down much more on the bottom than the top.

And DO keep the dough covered with a damp cloth as you work (not the buttered dough in the pan, but the dough laid out from the package.) it dries in no time!

It's actually pretty easy, and fun to do, with impressive results.

Bunnyb, a couple of my favorite books on middle eastern cooking are Claudia Roden's books (there's newer edition and an older one. I have the older one, and am happy with it.) and Sonia Uvezian's Cuisine of Armenia. In both the books the recipes are good and they always seem to "turn out" if you know what I mean. (Some cookbooks have recipes that never work out right, but these are those kind.)

Also, Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East Vegetarian Cooking doesn't have a lot of middle eastern recipes, but the ones it has I think are very good. I'm sure it has tabbouleh in it.

Treehugger--that totally suck about the dvds. That's really inexcusable. Can you get your money back? I think that's a pretty darn valid reason.
turbojenn
anoushh - can I just tell you that I wait all year for the armenian church here in town to hold their summer festival, so I can get my paws on some of their *amazing* palklava?! They usually come to the farmer's market the week before the festival with a few sheets of it to pass out as samples to whet our apetites, and it never fails to force me to write it in on the calendar so I can get more at the festival!

Qspice...OMFG....I made your salad for lunch today, with the addition of some fresh sweet corn that I sliced off the cob, and also a few shrimp that I quickly marinaded in lime juice, garlic, cumin and cayenne, then sauteed...the finished salad *MAY* be the best thing I've eaten all summer....and I imagine I'll be eating this for lunch a couple days this week. The vinaigrette is simply brilliant!
quantumspice
oooooooooo those sounds like great additions! i am going to have to try that sometime...
raisingirl
Parev! I 100% back up what my Armenian sister Anoushh has said about paklava. Anoushh, do you ever make bourma? I've never made it, but always thought it would be good for a party since they're individual pieces. It's way more labor-intensive, but I bet it would be worth it.

Bunny, here I am all ready to type out the recipe for tabbouleh, but what do you know, it comes from the very same Sonia Uvezian book that Anoushh has already mentioned. I have my own more simplified version with a lot more parsley than bulghur, but for the life of me I cannot find that piece of paper right now. It's basically a whole lot of chopped parsley, fine bulgur that's been prepared (soak in hot water, only I do it the lazy way and use the bare minimum amount of water so I don't have to squeeze the whole thing through cheesecloth to remove the excess water), chopped scallions or onions -- I can't remember, lots of lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt & pepper. Sometimes I throw in a chopped seeded tomato if it's really ripe and sitting around on the counter. But seriously, get that Uvezian book -- there's a reason it's been in print all these years.

I am useless here! It's just as well, as I gashed one of my fingers today on a stupid umbrella.
pollystyrene
The baklava recipe is fixed below, ladies- it was a 1/2 cup on each of those.

Anoushh, sometimes I forget about wetting the edges and it turns out fine, but I'm not too picky about appearance, as long as it basically looks good and tastes wonderful. Also, I don't bother with clear honey, I just use regular- maybe clear honey makes it more white than golden, which I also don't like. And yes, you want to keep the dough moist- try to keep the room a little humid, if possible. It doesn't have to be like a rainforest, or anything, but you definitely don't want it dry.

It's easier than it sounds- it takes some time and careful technique, but it's sooooo worth it.

What's palklava? I've got to try some Armenian food- I think I had it a long time ago, and it sounds so good.

I'm going to try to make the tomato salad tonight- do I really have to use cumin seeds, or can I just use cumin? I have so many doubles of spices (ground and whole versions) and I don't want another one! Toasting just means putting it in a pan and heating it until it's fragrant, right?
turbojenn
polly, I just polished off another delicious bowl of qspice's salad - SO good! Seriously, I may be addicted to that vinaigrette...I was discovered licking the bowl in my office. tongue.gif I don't have whole cumin seeds, either...so I just dumped the ground cumin in a hot pan until I could smell it, and then dumped it in the vinaigrette.
quantumspice
i really prefer grinding my own cumin seeds to buying ground cumin. i think it makes a big difference for freshly ground vs ground, even when the ground ones are toasted. but, yeah, you can use preground. i'm stuck with preground here, becase my spice grinder is at home home.

and yesssss it is that good! funny enough? it's a foodnetwork recipe i caught flipping the channels! (by, of all people, bobby flay..) that whole episode just had my stomach growling -- he had that, and then some grilled corn with a spicy garlic butter, mojitos, and a pork tenderloin with a orange-habenero mojo aaaaaaand a guava glaze. mm mm mmmmmm
pollystyrene
Ok, I made the salad! It was really good, except that I didn't notice the first time reading it that I needed rice wine vinegar, and all I had was rice vinegar, so next time I'll get the right thing. Also, I did the shrimp idea that turbo had, I even marinaded it in lime juice and stuff before I cooked it. I forgot about the fact that the lime juice would ceviche it a little already, and cooking it on top of that made it a little overcooked. But it still tasted really good. I got good avocadoes that didn't have any bruises, which made me happy because the last couple of times I've bought avocadoes, they've been bruised all over. Grr.

The recipe makes a lot of salad, too much for me alone. I left a message for my mom to come over for some and Le Boy isn't into exotic salads too much and he's in a heartburn cycle, so onions, vinegar and tomatoes are not his friend right now. He promised he'd try some tomorrow, though.

Thanks for the recipe, and I understand what you mean about the intensity of whole vs. ground cumin qspice! Maybe next time when I spring for the rice wine vinegar, I'll get the cumin seeds. I wish you could buy all spices by the ounce, not just saffron. Some of those less common spices, I'll just never use before they go bad.
quantumspice
does the spice house still have bulk spices? (or am i thinking of another place?)
turbojenn
Oh, sure, the spice house still sells bulk spices! I just bought my cumin last week (I go through a lot of it), so it was really fresh.

I just had more of the salad for dinner...heh. I used half an avocado, half a tomato, half an ear of corn, 5 shrimp, and wee bit of red onion, and it was the perfect amount. I doused the other half an avo with lime, saran wrapped it, and stashed it for lunch tomorrow.
pollystyrene
I want like the opposite of bulk- just enough for the recipe. Could I get a tablespoon of cumin seeds?
turbojenn
I'm sure you could just buy a tablespoon - they sell by weight, so I'm sure they'd do that for you.
fina
This may sound like a stupid question but can anyone with a box of Rice Krispies around please give me the recipe for Rice Krispie squares? Not something I ever thought I'd forget but they don't list it on the cereal boxes in the UK and I really want to make some. One wrinkle is that marshmallows here seem to come in a bag with both white and pink ones- I think they're sold mainly for snacking- so it'll be the first time I've made pink rice krispie squares but surely it can't make that much difference.

Infinite thanks if you can help!
falljackets
official kellogg's recipe here, fina

and now, a question:

how long does homemade salad dressing last? the concoction i made last weekend was oil, white wine vinegar, juice from a lime, lemon and half an orange, with some roasted sesame seeds and fresh basil tossed in. i tasted it last night and it was still good. the basil is all wilty and not as pretty as it was before, but all in all still tasty.

but can it go rancid if i leave it in the fridge?
erinjane
QUOTE(fina @ Aug 29 2006, 10:50 AM) *

This may sound like a stupid question but can anyone with a box of Rice Krispies around please give me the recipe for Rice Krispie squares? Not something I ever thought I'd forget but they don't list it on the cereal boxes in the UK and I really want to make some. One wrinkle is that marshmallows here seem to come in a bag with both white and pink ones- I think they're sold mainly for snacking- so it'll be the first time I've made pink rice krispie squares but surely it can't make that much difference.

Infinite thanks if you can help!

If you want to make them taste super gooey and delicious, do what my mom does, and follow the recipe but rather then use the amount of marshmallows the recipe calls for, just use one of the whole little bags of mini marshmallows. Not very healthy but very delicious.
turbojenn
dammit...now I want rice krispie treats too! But I like mine with peanut butter and melted chocolate drizzled over the top...might have to make a stop on the way home...Mmmmmm....
pollystyrene
falljackets, the vinegar and citrus are natural preservatives, so you should be able to get a few days out of it, like 5-7, as long as you're good about keeping it refrigerated consistently and don't follow Le Boy's rule of "as long as I put it back in the fridge eventually, it's good"....not so much when you leave the gallon of milk out for a half-hour while you eat your Seinfeldian amount of cereal. mad.gif

ETA: Allrecipes.com is featuring Greek Recipes:
http://allrecipes.com/advice/feature/globe...d.asp?lnkid=724
turbojenn
help! help! I got a fresh coconut in my produce box today - what should I do with it? All of the rind has been peeled off, so its nekkid, I just don't have anything good to do with it besides a curry or something. Ideas?

bunnyb
macaroons (are they only UK cake/biscuity things, the coconut ones baked and drizzled with chocolate with sugar paper?) or pina coladas! Sorry, that's all I got.
chachaheels
Do I have ideas for fresh cocoanut! let's see:

you can use the milk and some of the flesh to bake pears; compose a cocoanut-lime rice using the milk and the flesh again; or just drink the cocoanut water with its jelly (very refreshing and so loaded with good stuff) and break off pieces of the flesh for eating raw, just like on the beach.
turbojenn
YUM, chacha!! I just so happen to have some pears on hand, and I'm definitely going to make the rice...now I think I'm going to be sad that I only have one coconut!
quantumspice
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Aug 28 2006, 10:35 PM) *

I want like the opposite of bulk- just enough for the recipe. Could I get a tablespoon of cumin seeds?

like TJ said, they sell bulk herbs by weight - so you can determine how much (or how litter) you need! it would be a shame to only get 1Tbs of the cumin seeds, because when you get addicted to the dressing, you'll have to keep going back tongue.gif
turbojenn
q's right....that dressing is sooo addicting. I'm putting it on everything I can think of!

And while we're hailing the recipes of Bobby Flay, I just made his chipotle flank steak fajitas for dinner - blend 1 can chipotles in adobe, 4 cloves of garlic, and a big handful of fresh basil. smear it all over your flank steak, toss it in a ziplock, and toss in the fridge overnight. Grill, and enjoy with some grilled veg and warmed corn tortillas. Delicious.

Oh, and I made a peach-raspberry crisp for dessert that was divine....
pollystyrene
I'm making beef stroganoff tomorrow, so I took this steak I had in the freezer out to thaw in the fridge overnight. I noticed that there was a little discolored spot on the meat, about the size of a quarter, where there was a little tear in the plastic wrap (probably something else in the freezer caught on it and ripped it)...the rest of the meat looks OK- do you think it's ok to use?
anoushh
Palkava=Armenian word for balkava.

Same thing, basically, though usually with the slight variations I mentioned previously.

I've never made bourma--occasionally I think about it. It's just so...cute. (It's those individual nests of a paklava-like pastry, right?) Not too terribly long before we left the UK I was intending to make kadayif (with shredded dough) only b/c it was the first time in my life I'd been able to find the right kind of dough. Then I got pregnant, got very sick, and we were in the midst of moving countries, so, not the first priority. The dough is probably still in the freezer and the kids are thinking "what the hell is this?!"

PS--with the caveat that I'm a vegetarian since 14 and therefore not terribly knowledgable about meat, I'd say it's fine as I"m sure that's just a bit of oxidation. That bit might taste funny, though? Not sure about that last bit.

Coconut rice is GOOD.
oceandessa
QUOTE(anoushh @ Aug 27 2006, 06:17 PM) *

IMy mother always says "make sure you put enough cinnamon in the filling and be sure it bakes until it turns golden brown."--that albino looking stuff you sometimes see is really off-putting. It should be golden, not white.

Annoushh - Your Ma is a woman after my own heart. Yes yes yes! Baklava should be golden and soaked in syrup and absolutely reaking of cinnamon. Hmmmmmmm.

I love Kataif too (I am writing it as I pronounce it, please forgive me). My Dad's side of the family makes traditional Arab Kataif with red dye in the dough, and ricotta-like cheese. Oh my sweet Jebus is it good! Unfortunately, no one arounds me appreciates these dishes so when I make them, I have to eat the whole thing, which is why I don't do it often.

fina
Falljackets, thanks for the link. I never thought to look there!

Erin, yeah, I usually reduce the quantity of rice krispies by at least a cup so they are chewier.
chachaheels
Turbojenn, we are leading parallel lives. Or at least we have parallel food cravings.

Yesterday I baked the absolute best cornbread of my life, and it was threaded through with chipotle peppers and really exceptionally good extra old cheddar. It came out with a perfect top crust, cheese melting at exactly the right temperature and consistency...it was moist and very edible. Then I used a few peaches that were lingering and threw a last minute peach and blackberry cobbler together just to see if I could have a happy baking day two times over! And it also came out absolutely perfect! No burning! No unbaked bits! No runny, soggy, overly-juicy-cause-I-forgot-to-put-cornstarch-in filling! It was not at all what my beloved husband sneeringly calls "a lard puck".

I know this seems like nothing much, but ovens and I only get along when there are roasts involved...never pastries, cakes, breads, or any of that yummy stuff. But yesterday--two items! Wholly perfect!
anoushh
I can't seem to manage cornbread--always too dry. So I'm impressed.

I meant to say that I agree with Raisingirl--tabouleh needs LOTS of parsley. More than most recipes call for.

Oceandessa--what is wrong with the people around you!?!

I'll come over and eat at your house. wink.gif

Also, I too love rice crispy treats with peanut butter and chocolate.
I'm really trying to avoid anything like this at the moment, but I can dream, at least.
turbojenn
I love cornbread...I would choose it above all other pastry products, if its the real deal. I need to try my hand at it again with your recommendation of grassfed dairy and eggs, and see where that gets me.

I'm not much for pastries either, but I can whip up a mean fruit crisp with my eyes shut, I've got it down to a science, pretty much, and last night's was divine...I'm looking forward to the leftovers with dinner this evening! I will be so sad when the stone fruit season passes here....but I do have a whole freezer full of fruits for smoothies all winter!

I think its chipotle steak quesadillas for dinner tonight, with leftovers, and some of the charro beans I have stashed in the freezer. And sweet corn, of course. wink.gif
flyingfrog
Mmm, cornbread. As long as it's not too sugary/cakey. Tangent: one night I got a bit (okay, a lot) tipsy, and for some reason all I wanted to talk about was cornbread. Mr. Frog kept trying to talk about other things and I kept bringing the conversation (such as it was) back to cornbread, so now if someone's drunk we say they're "cornbready."

Turbo, I'm with you on the fruit crisp. I can't wait for all the apples at the fall farmer's markets... I make mine with loads of oats. More oats than flour. I once had apple crisp that had NO oats, if you can believe it, and it was so weird.

Meanwhile, I have a spaghetti squash for tomorrow's supper. Yay! Such a magical vegetable.

quantumspice
QUOTE(turbojenn @ Aug 29 2006, 09:48 PM) *
blend 1 can chipotles in adobe

adobo! adobe's a brick tongue.gif

would you believe there is NO chipotle here? or even canned/jarred jalapenos or chiles! it is SO WEIRD! i'm going to pick up a few cans when i'm at home.
chachaheels
QUOTE(flyingfrog @ Aug 30 2006, 08:56 PM) *

Mmm, cornbread. As long as it's not too sugary/cakey. Tangent: one night I got a bit (okay, a lot) tipsy, and for some reason all I wanted to talk about was cornbread. Mr. Frog kept trying to talk about other things and I kept bringing the conversation (such as it was) back to cornbread, so now if someone's drunk we say they're "cornbready."

Hee!! Who are you? You could be my long lost twin! I know I have lived this experience, too.

My cornbread is usually "tolerated" around here but the other night's was just the right amount of smokey and spicy, just the right amount of sharp and savoury, and just the right amount of sweet. And not dry, which is also the usual outcome. I only made a small bread, just enough for 2 people, because I usually get too much left over, and no one eats it. Now it's gone and I may never see the likes of it again.

One of the farmers around where I live grows an heirloom apple variety that ripens in July, called Vista belle or something. I buy them all summer with the intention of making crisps and things like that, but they always get eaten too quickly. We're inundated with pears, peaches, and plums right now...plums make amazing pies (particularly those plums that are dark blue, with the gold coloured flesh...). There is just too much temptation to do nothing but bake. Working at home is way more difficult for me than it has to be!
TeriH
You know reading this thread is making my stomach rumble smile.gif Looking forward to sharing recipes.

Anyone here with a cupcake fetish like me?
lysistrata
What we have for dinner tonight - sooo good and really fast, too.

very big pat of butter
shrimp
two red chiles, deseeded (well, depending on how spicy you want it...) and chopped
four large cloves garlic, chopped.
white wine, 150 to 200 ml
spaghetti
large pan (on high temp. the whole time)

Make sure all your ingredients are ready before you put the pasta in, but start the sauce at the same time as the pasta or just before, because it doesn't take long (assuming that your shrimp are already cooked...).

Butter in pan, once sizzling, add garlic and chiles, two minutes and then add shrimp, after the shrimp have "released their water" (I'm translating here from the French boy) - about two minutes, reduce the sauce, then return the shrimp to the pan.

The sauce gets thicker and turns a bit brown and starts to attach to the shrimp, the bottom of the pan is a bit sticky, and now you deglaze with the wine, and it should go "SHHH" (again, his words). Then, you stir by rubbing the bottom of the pan, until the acidity of the wine has cooked out and the sauce is the desired thickness.

Drain your spaghetti and add it to the pan - if you want to actually have a proper sauce, then don't reduce it too much, because the spaghetti soaks it up.

And, Le Garcon adds, on a personal note, creme fraiche and/or some freshly chopped parsley might be a nice addition. Especially the creme fraiche.

Heh.
flyingfrog
ha. chacha, I'm just a girl who likes vodka... and cornbread, apparently. well, I'm from new england - cornmeal in any form is droolicious by me. indian pudding, johnnycakes, cornmeal mush, mmmmm. tonight we have company coming and I'm going to make miniature lemon-cornmeal scones. I don't know if anyone besides me will dig cornmeal in scones. well, if they don't, I get the leftovers. that's okay.

and I do most of my work from home and am always fighting off kitchen urges, too!

last night we made spaghetti squash (just baked it, tossed with some s & p and the nondairy butter stuff I have); spinach barely wilted with olive oil, tons of garlic, and red pepper flakes; grill-panned chicken smeared with red pepper tapenade from a jar. omg. bellies so full. and it turned out that mr. frog had never even seen a spaghetti squash... it just about blew his mind when I pulled the fork across it and it turned into strands. anyway, I'm excited for the squashes of fall. I love to stuff'n'bake them.

also, tried a new cookie recipe last night: granola-choco-chip. essentially, an oatmeal cookie with granola instead of plain oats. the results were lovely, toastier and saltier than a standard oatmeal chipper, but crisp, not chewy. does anyone know what factors make a cookie chewy insteady of crispy? this seems so fundamental, but I realize I really don't know. I don't make drop cookies on a regular basis - it's more often bars.
chachaheels
Oh my, FlyingFrog, everything you wrote about in your post sounds heavenly. I love fall and winter squash but for some reason I cannot fathom I have to be very careful with squashes of all kinds. Summer squash is out of the question always (I've never been able to digest it, except for the actual flowers of zucchini--the flesh has pretty much left me wishing for death). But the squashes that ripen in fall? Delish. Can't wait to go to the market this afternoon and pick out some little mother hubbards.

The cookie crispness vs. chewiness thing? For me, the biggest difference you can make with cookies comes from how you treat the butter in the recipe. If you melt the butter down and add it to your ingredients, you'll get those awful, puffy, cakey chocolate chip cookies; but if you let the butter soften and then cream the butter together with your ingredients, you'll get perfectly chewy chocolate chip cookies. Don't use margarine (it's poison anyway), don't use shortening (same thing) don't use oil: it has to be butter (especially for oatmeal cookies) and it has to be creamed into the mixture...or you'll get puffy, crispy, or worse. Oh...and DO NOT LEAVE THE KITCHEN! For anything! It's only a few minutes anyway, but stay right there and pull them out just as they become golden.

How am I going to focus on the work I've got to finish now that cookies have come up in conversation?

Please PM or post that corn meal scone recipe. I wanna push my luck, especially with yummy scones.
yuefie
As promised to pepper:

Pistachio Cilantro Pesto

1 cup raw unsalted pistachios, toasted
2 cups (packed) fresh cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, chopped

1 teaspoon ground cardamom
3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Add pistachios, cilantro leaves, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, garlic, cardamom, and 3/4 teaspoon salt to food processor. Using on/off turns, process until coarse paste forms. With machine running, gradually add 1/2 cup olive oil. Season with pepper. That is the basic recipe, but sometimes I play around with it, making a few additions.

optional ingredients:

1 poblano chile, deseeded and membrane removed
a little grated pecorino
a little lemon zest

It's great on anything, I've made tofu cabobs on the grill, put some in couscous, but I like it best on fish.

pepper
yeah! i love you! MWAH!!
turbojenn
I am totally going to make that pesto - YUM!

And now for my own pistachioed madness:

Pistachio Spread

1 cup of toasted pistachios
1/2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup finely minced onion
1 Tb freshly ground black pepper
mayo

Toast the pistachios. When cool, pulse in the food processor until chopped in a medium sort of way - not too chunky, but not pistachio powder either. Combine all the ingredients, add enough mayo to bind. Serve with crackers or toasted baguette slices.

courtesy of turbomama. Its very tasty, although I can no longer partake with my dairy issues.
pepper
oh, and now i love you too. extra double plus kisses. Mwah!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.