Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: barefoot, precocious, and in the kitchen
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
turbojenn
congrats bklyn - the ice cream maker is my favorite kitchen appliance! I make sorbet allllll the time. If you're making ice cream, you should be picking out ingredients anyhow- you'll need to make the custard tonight - which involves some cooking, and chill the mixture in the fridge overnight. There is *nothing* better than homeade ice cream. I miss it, but the sorbet is a good substitute for the dairy free - and don't forget about making margaritas in your maker! Wheeeee!
bunnyb
mmmm, an ice cream maker may be a soon-to-be-purchased kitchen appliance... sorbet, I love you.

does anyone have any smoothie recipes they'd care to share? preferably fruit (as opposed to veg/detox).
opheliathemuse
you know what I like? orange and pineapple with water, sometimes a bit of protein powder. it's a bit like orange julius. sooo good. tj's sells good frozen pineapple bits.
opheliathemuse
oh! I've always wanted to try basil ice cream, I think it had cherries poached in wine or something in it, and earl grey ice cream with sea salt.
turbojenn
I made basil ice cream and put dark chocolate shavings in at the last minute.....oooooh, it was so gooood, it was worth getting sick for it!

smoothies- I make 'em for breakfast every day - I use apple juice, almond milk, frozen peaches and a small handful of frozen raspberries. Or, peaches and strawberries, strawberries and bananas, peaches and pineapple....just about anything. I use maybe a cup of frozen fruit, and a cup and a half of the juice/almond milk combo....
bklynhermit
i've been off looking for good recipes all evening (my booklet LITERALLY only had weird stuff and no vanilla, chocolate, etc.), and there are a TON of recipes for basil ice cream on epicurious.

is there some sort of 'weird ice cream idea' trend going on which i'm not aware of? because i searched high and low all over the internet, and it took me at least an hour to come across a recipe for just simple vanilla ice cream... but i found dozens of recipes for egg nog, basil, currant, CORN, etc. etc. all completely nontraditional flavors.
oceandessa
corn ice cream?........why?

This from a woman who's currently infusing two pints of vodka with rosemary and mint respectively. I have a feeling I will regret both of them..........until I get sick, then I will have medicine!

bklynhermit
mint vodka? mmmmm! even when not sick. it would be like peppermint schnapps, but, you know, not for 6th graders.

i made mint iced tea to go with dinner tonight. i would like to believe this is some sort of middle eastern/american south fusion beverage, but really it is just that i had a bunch of mint teabags lying around forever that i wanted to get rid of. and it's getting to be Sweet Tea weather. thus, mint iced tea.
pollystyrene
My parents have a corn cookbook with an ice cream recipe in it- never made it, but it sounds good. There's a ice cream place by my house that has some very unique flavors, including avocado ice cream. I keep meaning to go in there and try it. How bad could it be?
bklynhermit
mmm -- avocado might be really interesting. after all my ice cream research today, it turns out that what makes 'ice cream' different from 'sorbet' or a slurpee or something is the milkfat. since avocados are so high in fat, i wonder if they'd make some kind of interesting sorbet/ice cream hybrid? i'm imagining something the consistency of orange sherbert, but less sweet and more cool creamy goodness...
voodoo_princess
Don't eat ice cream here, but I am enjoying a rather tasty combo right now of Vegetable Thin crackers topped with cream chese and kippers....MMMMMMMMM....AAAAHHHHHHH.....yummy! And full of protien too! Hee hee hee.
turbojenn
sounds like a good snackie to me!

The weather is total crap here today - rain rain rain, and 40mph winds, which combines for the awesome phenomonena that is the chicago sideways rain....but I am coping with some homeade pizza dough rising on the counter, which I am going to top with sausage and a bit of bacon, and sweet onion, and soy cheese....and a beer. And then I'm gonna sit on the couch all night. Oh yeah, its gonna be good.....
amilita
oh, funny i was reading about all the wierd ice cream recipes and then tonight we went to a place that had flavors like watermelon mint, saffron pistachio, one with curry...i had lavender honey. yum yum.

they have this bittersweet chocolate ice cream that is barely sweet...it is so dark, it's practically black.

i like ones that are a little unusual, but not particularly odd...i'd never order corn ice cream. i wish i were that adventurous, but i'm not.

oh, if i had an ice cream maker, i'd make cinnamon chocolate, like this place i worked in years ago made.

or pistachio with cardamon...and something with nutmeg, which i'm crazy about.

what a good gift, an ice cream maker!
pollystyrene
I tried Haagen Dazs Mayan Chocolate ice cream. Pretty tasty!
bklynhermit
Wow. What an elaborate marketing scheme for, ummm, cinnamon chocolate ice cream.

I took a mesoamerican archaeology course in college, and we had a guest lecture from this doctoral student who was doing her dissertation on Mayan chocolate. The Mayans actually used chocolate in savory dishes, not too distant from Oaxacan mole sauces or those spicy chili chocolate concoctions that have been trendy recently. It was Europeans who turned it into the sweet we're familiar with, because at that time refined sugar was a luxury, as was newfangled chocolate, so the two seemed to be a natural pair.

Not to mention that living in a tropical climate, the Mayans most likely didn't know from ice cream. Also, the trees that produce cinnamon in their bark are native only to Sri Lanka and Indonesia, so the Mayans couldn't have paired the two seeing as cinnamon would only have been introduced to the Americas during the colonial period, by which time the Mayans were long gone.

Whew. History lesson over. We now return you to your incredibly yummy, but unfortunately not Mayan at all, cinnamon chocolate ice cream.
pepper
ooh, i'm gonna get kicked outta the kitchen for this one, i know. but...

haagen dazs is now owned by nestle.
you know, nestle the third world baby killers.
that's just so not delicious to me.

sorry, SoRrY!! i'm going now.
zora
It's almost berry season! Anyone making jams or jellys this year? I want to make a ton, I'd like to have enough to last all year, I'm sick of running out by december.
divalla
I want to learn to make seedless raspberry jelly. My dad used to make it and it had the most gorgeous color.

Hi, everyone. I'm normally a lurker in here, but I have a question: my boyfriend's birthday is at the end of the week and I want to make a coconut layer cake. Does anyone have any ideas for fillings? He's a pretty picky eater, but most things fruity he'll eat. Thanks in advance!
amilita
lemon curd! that would be super easy. they make lime curd, too, but it can be harder to find.
divalla
I absolutely adore lemon curd, and make a really good one, but he's not into lemon. If it were my cake, that's totally what I'd do.
bklynhermit
the ice cream. is. so. good.

and i seriously fudged everyting, too. half and half rather than heavy cream, cheapo vanilla extract in some kind of shittily eyeballed measurement added at the wrong time, scorched the milk and then lumped it directly in with the eggs rather than gradually spooning it in, didn't heat the custard to a high enough temp, didn't chill the custard as directed (i stuck it directly in the freezer for an hour or so rather than letting it cool to room temp then refrigerating overnight), etc. etc. etc.

and still about a thousand times better than hagen daz or ben & jerry's if it's possible.
mornington
divalla - jam. rasperry. strawberry, whatever.

*goes back to lurking*
pepper
pineapple coconut cake, oh yum.
pollystyrene
I found a recipe with apricot jam as a filling. That would be tasty!
treehugger
Okay, I have a request for suggestions. I'm going to be flying to New Orleans on Friday the 26th.

As you may know, the airlines no longer provide ANYTHING to eat (not that it was ever great)

So I'm having this fantasy of bringing my own spread and pulling something out of my carry-on bag that's so delectable and yummy looking that everybody around me is drooling!

Any ideas for something sorta filling that will carry well for a few hours and not give me food poisoning? I'm considering, for a drink, bringing a can of lemonade and one of those little individual bottles of UV blue vodka (have you ever tried that combo? Yummy....)

Any suggestions?
amilita
Welcome to New Orleans! I dunno what to bring for the plane, but where are you gonna eat when you're here, treehugger?
zora
OT but, they don't serve food on airlines anymore? Why not?
treehugger
zora, I suppose they are cutting expenses. You can "buy" food but they no longer give you anything complimentary. I refuse to pay $8.00 for a crappy plate of airline food.

Amilita, you're in N'awlins? Oh, goodness. I go there once a year, down to the french quarter. Usually just get some crawfish etouffee or some of the wonderful shrimp dishes. And cafe' au lait and biegnets. Maybe I should move this to the travel thread, but do you have a recommendation for a restaurant to hit?
turbojenn
why is thursday the *worst* day to try and come up with something to make for dinner? I'm outta creativity, and no cash to get take out, so its spelt pasta and marinara for us tonight...not to bad, and pretty brainless.

tree- I like a nice granola with dried fruit and nuts, or even a little hummus with veggies and pita chips...or a spicy peanut sauce/dip with carrots and apple slices....I like dip things I guess. Turboman - he goes straight for gummy sugar products. One of us arrives with a stomache ache, and its not me. ;)
amilita
Yeah, that's where I'm at, treehugger. It's almost hard to get bad food here, isn't it? I feel like some of the restaurants I love aren't even strictly local food, but then I think that the local cuisine seeps into every menu...hell, even most of the sushi places here have crawfish rolls. Yummy! And you can get gumbo practically anywhere...stuff like that.

Are you travelling on a budget, or do you hit any fancy places? Do you stick to the Quarter or venture out of it? Maybe we should move this to the travel thread, huh, even though we're talking about food...I would like to know if it's your first time visiting since the flooding and things like that. I'll look for a reply in On The Road Again...
treehugger
turbo, I'm liking the hummus idea. I also was at a deli and scooped (stole) a couple mayonnaise packets, shelf stable. I *may* pack up the fixings for a BLT...the mayo would have been the only real issue. Pre-toasted bread..lettuce and tomato in baggies..it just might be do-able.

Hummus sounds tasty though..my local co-op makes an absolutely delectable one that I've been unable to duplicate.

amilita, I posted over in travel thread. Thanx! :-)
bunnyb
*de-lurks

Hummus, yum...

Does anyone have any recipes they could recommend using chorizo? I am going through a major chorizo phase... Ideally, chorizo mash (although can't envisage that being too difficult) or portobello mushrooms stuffed with a chorizo concotion or anything else similarly delectable :-).

turbojenn, I LOVE dip things!

*re-lurks
turbojenn
chorizo....yum. I like to put it in zataran's black beans n rice or their red beans n rice. I slice it, saute it for a couple minutes, then set it aside and saute half a diced onion in the drippings, and then toss in the boxed mix and water. Add the chorizo about 10 minutes before its done. YUM.

Or chorizo 'n chicken tacos - I chop up some boneless, skinnless chick thighs and saute those up with the chorizo, so the resulting meat mixture isn't quite so salty, and then add a cilantro and onion salsa on top of the tacos. YUM.

Or, chorizo quesadillas, chorizo n eggs.....oh, the sausageabilities are endless.....chorizo n' chicken tostadas with beans and avocado on top.....Mmmm, I'm getting hungry.

I think I'm going to make lamburgers for dinner tonight, and saute up the asparagus I got at the farmers market yesterday morning. I add cinnamon, allspice, garlic, salt, pepper and chopped basil to the ground lamb....sort of kafta style, and it is so good grilled up.
zora
Northern Spanish style chorizo is grand. Simmer it in some hard apple cider and enjoy. Simple and tasty as hell.
lorewolf
*de-lurks

Chorizos! In Hawaii, we make Portugese bean soup with Portugese sausages, and the closest thing to those I can find here in Bellingham, WA is chorizos. I basically caramelize some onions and garlic in butter and olive oil, then make black bean soup out of that with skinned, sliced chorizos, cilantro, spicy heat, and some sour cream. Have some grated parmesean ready when serving for extra heart-clogginess. Mmmm! :-)

I'm curious about making cornbread muffins with a smallish core of chorizo.

I'll have to try the hard apple cider simmer technique. Thanks, Zora!
divalla
Thanks for all the ideas on the cake. In the end, his mother decided to throw an impromptu birthday party for him several hours before we expected to leave, so I just made my mom's recipe of white cake with vanilla pudding mixed with a brick of cream cheese, crushed pineapple, and Cool Whip with shredded coconut on top. It's never failed me, and I got it done in under 2 hours, from start to finish. I do have stuff to make orange ambrosia cake, though, and I think I just might do that very soon.
bunnyb
Thank you for the chorizo ideas! I had chorizo and caramelised onion quesedillias (sp?) with monteray jack cheese, salsa and guacamole which were beautiful! Bearing in mind all of these great ideas to use up my stash (I also bought some diced chorizo for when I have time-constraints or feeling lazy!)
jemisoutrageous
Hey Ladies,
I opened my email very quickly some time ago and noticed I had a PM request from one of you for my lasagna recipe. I forgot about it until now and when I went to write back I couldn't find the email.
In any even here it is and whoever it was that PM'ed me,enjoy!

Carmelized Spinach and Onion Lasagna
Cut up two large onions, sautee in some olive oil, salt and about 1/4 cup sugar in a big ol' pan.

Add two bags pre-cut spinach and a bunch of minced garlic & saute til wilty.

Add 2 or 3 cans of pureed tomatoes, a can of tomato paste and Italian seasoning, more salt, onion powder and garlic to taste. Simma.

While this is happening mix up a big tub of ricotta, a cup of parmesan, two eggs, some Italian seasoning and a cup or two of mozzerella.

Using the no-bake lasagna noodles, layer some sauce, noodles, cheese,sauce, noodles,cheese and cover it all with a giant heap o' mozzerella. Cover in aluminum foil and bake at 375 an hour,maybe an hour and half, uncover it and then bake it a little longer ,til it's all melty and delightful.
heart,Jem

livelyupurself
Damn Jem, I'm coming over to your house for dinner. You are always cooking up the yummiest looking stuff girl! Spinach lasagne with carmelized onion, oh my.

OT- there was this yummy Italian place owned by a Vietnamese family (they seriously had the best lasagne I've had from a restaurant) that we ordered from a lot when I was a teen and the guy that used to answer the phone to take delivery orders would pronounce lasagne as Lon-Ya-Ya only he would say it super fast. So whenever I see the word now, I have to say it outloud to myself. OCD, I know.
voodoo_princess
I have a chorizo question here.... when I buy chrizo at the local stores, it's in a plastic tube like package (like regular ground sausage) and when I squeeze it out into the skillet it's like super pureed sausage stuff and gets all thin and runny when it cooks..... i used to like chorizo with eggs but OMG i don't know what the deal is here, sooooo i was wondering what kind of chrizo everyone else is using that they are able to "slice"? i am afraid to cook the chorizo i have put away in the freeze cause i'm afraid i'm gonna end up with greasy chorizo soup again.... i want a FIRMER chorizo i guess or maybe not one that's pureed..... any tips here for purchasing a good chorizo?
jemisoutrageous
voodoo wants a 'firmer chorizo' (huh huh huh)..yeah, I need to get out of the house.
Lively, you're welcome to come to dinner any tme you want. Come on through to Brooklyn, girl!
livelyupurself
Hey voodoo, I think the kind you slice up is spanish or portuguese chorizo. I know what you are talking about. Here in Southern CA, being so close to the the Tijuana border, we have real mexican style chorizo which is the softer, ground up stuff you described. In fact that is all I've ever known of chorizo. I use soyrizo now, since I read what the ingredients were on a package of the stuff when making chorizo & eggs for breakfast when I was 19. I still can't stomach a good old fashioned, hangover curing chorzio burrito. I do make soyrizo & potato tacos, or with eggs sometimes. It's also good with beans to make tostadas cause it blends well.

Hey Jem, if I ever make it out that way we are totally on for hangin' out. I wish I could make it out for the CasaMando shindig, waaaa. My sis Mel was born in Brooklyn, and she is always threatening to drag me out there. She says I've never had real chinese or pizza. And according to her we just recently got 'real ice cream' cause Carvel opened up practically next door to where I live (curse them!).
turbojenn
my chorizos always come in casings...I've never seen it sold loose...chorizo is greasy, so I always slice and saute it first and drain all the fat before I do anything else with it.

And jem....that lasangna does sounds amazing....

I just invited friends over for a bbq tomorrow, I guess I better figure our a game plan for that....
jemisoutrageous
burgers,jenn. People love them some burgers. Throw on some veggie burgers for the veggies and done with it.
lorewolf
Hey, I was trying to think of interesting ways of turning a Boboli pizza crust into a tasty Mexican-ish pizza. All sorts of ideas come to mind, like making a balck bean & salsa sauce for it instead of tomato, and maybe adding lettuce and sour cream post-bake. I thought I'd ask you guys how you'd figure enterpreting a Mexican pizza. There's just too many possibilities to fit on one crust.
turbojenn
lore - I'd definitely be down with that black beans and salsa plan - that sounds deelish! I'd toss on some chorizo too, if you're down with that, or spicy grilled chicken...

I've decided on kafta style lamburgers for dinner with cinnamon, allspice, basil and garlic mixed in with the meat. And fruit salad, and probably either hummus and veg or a chickpea salad....whatever we eat, I am not turning the stove on. :-)
pepper
how about taco filling or nacho toppings on that crust? sour cream, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, salsa or pico de gallo, black beans and even rice. shredded chicken might be good with it too. or, ooh, fajita toppings. um, yum, sizzling beef with onions and green peppers and all the other stuff. oh, i miss fajitas.
bklynhermit
my local pizza place in my hometown did a mexican pizza that was basically taco/burrito/nacho toppings on regular pizza crust and tomato sauce. you could probably update/sophisticate that by doing salsa for the sauce, jack cheese, maybe black beans, chorizo, jalapeno peppers, diced tomato, and perhaps some grilled fajita style red onion and bellpeppers. after it's out of the oven you could add sour cream and guac on top.
livelyupurself
there is a place here that also does a mexican pizza that is layered salsa, refried beans, chorizo, cheese, jalapeno peppers and then cooked. then it is topped with diced tomatoes, onion & cilantro and comes with a side of sour cream for topping. my brother lives for that pie, I tell ya. I think I am going to make that for dinner now, w/ soyrizo ;)
lorewolf
Ooo! Those all sound yummers!

It's funny, though, that I keep falling into the old Americanized concepts of Mexican cuisine: refried beans, black beans, salsa, guac, cheddar/jack, jalapenos, lime, cilantro, and sour cream. They sure get me salivating, but Mexican cuisine must offer more variety than that. I keep thinking of ideas that are like taco/burrito/nacho toppings, but there's also stuff like mole' sauce, cooking with cinnamon, and... well, I don't know... the other spices and stuff I see in the Mexican cooking section that I don't know how to use. Maybe if I try them on a pizza crust, I'll learn a little more about what they are and how they might fit into actual Mexican cuisine.

Your ideas sound really tasty, though. I'm going to try something like your recommendations this week. With stuff like that on it, it's GOT to taste good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.