Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: barefoot, precocious, and in the kitchen
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
raisingirl
Ooh, sangria. That's not a bad idea, Turbo, but I was looking for something along the lines of food, not beverage (and I know sangria's towing the line, but still). I hardly ever cook with wine (but I've been known to cook while on wine, heh), so I was asking to see if someone had a tried-and-true kind of thing that might use half a bottle of wine, give or take.

Maybe sangria will be the backup plan.
treehugger
For Raisingirl: Mushrooms Petaluma

Great for sort of a cold drizzly day. It's one of my favorite vegetarian comfort foods. It's definitely one of my tried and true "old standbys". It's sort of like a stew. It's forgiving (don't need to be real exact with the measurements) and it'll use up a cup of that wine.

And, a bonus...it smells WONDERFUL while it's simmering. smile.gif

Ingredients:
3 potatoes
3/4 lb fresh mushrooms
3 carrots, sliced 1/2" thick
2 bell peppers, seeded
1 large onion, chopped

2 TBSP oil
2 TBSP dijon mustard
3 TBSP shoyu or soy sauce
2 TBSP brown sugar
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut potatoes in quarters lengthwise, slice into 1/2" pieces. Steam with carrots until tender; reserve 1 cup steaming water. Clean the mushrooms with a damp cloth and cut the larger ones into good sized chunks. Cut peppers into 1" squares. In a heavy 2 quart pot, saute onion in oil until translucent. Add mushrooms and peppers and saute, stirring, until mushrooms sweat.

In a small bowl mix together mustard, shoyu or soy sauce, brown sugar, and wine. Add sauce to sauteed veggies along with carrots, potatoes, and reserved water. Bring to a boil and add parsley. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until veggies are tender.

Continue to cook uncovered, to reduce and thicken sauce if desired. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Good served over cooked bulgur wheat.
raisingirl
Ooh! Thank you for that, TH! That sounds like a good winter dish.
WasabiNinja
Raisin, You can totally make a yummy risotto with red wine, mushrooms, and radicchio. Primo leftovers that risotto.
roseviolet
I mentioned this recipe in Kvetch, so I figured I would post it here. It's out of the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, which is fast becoming my favorite cookbook ever. I made this bread for a dinner party this weekend and it was a big hit! And it was much easier to make than it appeared. You probably have the ingredients already sitting around the kitchen.

Cheddar Cheese Bread

3 oz Parmesan cheese, grated on the large holes of a box grater (1 cup)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp black pepper
4 oz extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes OR mild Asiago cheese, crumbled into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
1 1/4 cups whole milk
3/4 cup sour cream
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg, slightly beaten

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350F. Generously coat a 9"x5" loaf pan with vegetable oil spray, then sprinkle 1/2 cup of the Parmesan evenly over the bottom of the pan. In a small bowl, melt the butter in a microwave and set aside to cool.

2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne, and black pepper together in a large bowl. Use a rubber spatula to stir in the cheddar, breaking up clumps, until it is coated with the flour mixture. Whisk the milk, sour cream, melted butter, and egg together in a seperate bowl. Gently fold the milk mixture into the flour mixture until just combined (The batter will be heavy and thick). Do not overmix.

3. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan evenly over the top. Bake until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out with just a few crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes.

4. Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes before unmolding onto a wire rack to cool for at least an hour.

WasabiNinja
RoseV, I do indeed have all the ingredients. When does that ever happen? Not often. I can bake cheesey bread and not get out of my pajamas. Hurrah! Thanks for gettin' me in the mood sugar. I'll let you know how it turns out, if it gets me laid etc.
auralpoison
My crippled ass is running out of provisions, so I had to really scrounge to find some decent dinner this past eve. I turned a box of cold steamed rice from a chinese carry out & some veg into a damned fine mock risotto. I am proud of myself 'cos it was goooood & used a bunch of stuff before it went bad.
quantumspice
i made a vat of green chile yesterday. mmmmmmmmm it was so so good. really hit the spot
catsoup
Help! We're having TB's parents over for dinner on Sunday and I am completely stumped as to what to serve for dessert. Usually that's the easiest part for but TBMom is allergic to: dairy, wheat (or gluten? I'm not sure), and chocolate. I have no idea what to make if I can't use those things and TB is no help at all. Any ideas?
turbojenn
*puts on kitchen crusader cape*

Catsoup - do you have an ice cream maker? If not, you *need* one, trust me on this. wink.gif Not only is it good for ice cream, but it makes the most divine sorbets ever, and in the summer...slushy 'ritas. Mmmmm. Is it summer yet?

Anyway, this time of year, I make a lot of tangerine sorbet, since citrus is so good right now. I use about 10-15 of the larger sized tangerines, and juice them, straining the seeds and pulp out. Then, take 3/4c sugar and 1/3c water and heat on the stove over low heat until sugar has completely dissolved. Add the siple syrup to the tangerine juice, chill for at least 3 hours, then turn in your ice cream maker. I usually churn it a couple hours before dinner, so when I put it in a tupperware, it has a couple hours to firm up in the freezer.

Hmm...other desserts...I'm allergic to the same stuff, but I guess I mostly stick to sorbets of all varieties, 'cause its easy. I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

What about an after dinner cocktail? Maybe some champagne/prosecco with a little raspberry puree in the bottom of the glass? Yummy.
chachaheels
Do you have a food processor? Here is a recipe for gluten and dairy free carrot cake:

Sidonie's Carrot Cake

5 egg yolks
150 g sugar or less (best: mix sucanat with other brown sugar)
1 dash of salt
2 tbsp water
Grated zest of ½ lemon (organic)
250 g finely grated carrots (use fresh ones – more juicy)
½ tsp. cinnamon
1-2 dashes clove powder
5 egg whites, beaten with a mixer till stiff
250 g ground Almonds (with skin if possible)
75 g brown rice flour (or spelt, if you want to make a cake which is not gluten-free)
1 tsp. of baking powder (add to flour and sift together)

Cream egg yolks, sugar, salt and water. Add the lemon peel, carrots, cinnamon, clove and mix well. Stir in the almonds and the sifted flour. Using a spatula, fold half of the beaten egg whites into the batter mixture. Continue to fold in the whites to “lighten” the batter; when this is done, fold the batter into the remaining egg whites until the stiffed egg whites are incorporated.

Pour the batter into a circular cake form and bake at 180°C (about 355 degrees F) for around 45 – 55 minutes. (If it is a Silicone form it will be done after about 40 minutes).

Icing :
Mix 200 g icing sugar (use gluten-free) with 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice & approx. 1-2 tbsp water. Don’t make it too liquid !!!

If you use the gluten-free icing sugar make sure you ice your cake no more than 1 hour before serving, as the cake will soak up the icing.

Yes, you'll need a scale to measure quantities for this recipe. Can be served with Turbo's sorbet, any kind of fresh fruit sauce, and that prosecco cocktail (or Icewine!! Which is yummy).

Also, you could make a sorbet or granita out of Italian Almond Milk--tastes creamy and sweet and is loaded with protein, but is completely dairy free. Has to be the Italian almond milk though--there are other kinds of almond milks on the market which don't contain the sugar and extracts found in the Italian variety, but you won't get the flavour you want.

Anywho, to make a granita, you just put the almond milk in a baking dish (a glass one is best) and pop it in your freezer, stirring it every half hour or so till it becomes frozen. Scrape it with a fork to break it up a bit before scooping it out and serve.
WasabiNinja
I made that Cheese Bread with asiago and my family loved it. We had it with roasted chicken in milk and greens. It was a perfect domestic scene of Norman Rockwell proportions. I wore my apron all day cooked and did crossword puzzles. That's my idea of fun.

Chicken in Milk - One of my all time favorite recipes.

3 1/2 lb. organic chicken - * I prefer to buy the packs of ribbed chicken breasts so that I have leftover breast meat for sandwhiches.

salt and pepper
3 tbsp. butter
olive oil
1 cinnamon stick
a handful of sage leaves picked
zest of 2 lemons
10 garlic cloves skin on.
1 pint of milk

preheat oven to 375 * I use a iron skillet for this recipe.

season the chicken all over and fry it in butter and olive oil until nicley browned all over. remove from heat. throw out some of the oil and butter in the pot/pan. you want to leave the sticky stuff on the bottom.

Put the chicken back in the pan with the rest of the ingredients and bake for 1 1/2 hrs. baste with cooking juice whenever you remember. When it's ready you will have a fantastic sauce with delicious little curds that are amazing on some mashed potatoes.

This chicken tastes great right out of the fridge. Plus your house will smell awesome.

tart
Building on Chacha's suggestion, you could make the almond granite & do some cherries flambe to serve with it - a bag of frozen sweet cherries with a strip or two of lemon/orange zest, a cinnamon stick, sugar to taste, simmered together for 10 minutes or so. When you're ready to serve it, get the mixture good & hot, pour in a few shots of brandy/kirsch/rum & touch it with a match... foom! A few spoonfuls of cherries in a pretty glass with the granite on top, a dash of cinnamon for garnish. The hot/cold, cherries & almond mixture is pretty divine...
raisingirl
Thanks for posting that, RV!

I might try making it this weekend.

Mmm, cheese and bread together. Perfection.
quantumspice
today's bit of irony is completely cooking related. remember how i bought mr bento coz he was on crazy sale last month and i was anticipating needing daily lunches at school?

yeah, my advisors shot down my original class schedule. now, no meals necessary.. so no real use for mr bento this term - i will just eat at home.
chachaheels
That's a great idea, Tart. I love cherries and almond together--so very good. Gonna go raid the pantry now for that jar of amarena cherries I know I bought (months? Years? huh) ago. Maybe I'll make the granita and cherry dessert myself now.

WasabiN I was all inspired by your idea of making a dish for which you've the good fortune to be in possession of all the ingredients, so I made your roasted chicken in milk for dinner last night. I was so thrilled to find that

1) my amazing sage plant, which had grown to reach massive proportions over the summer, did not in fact die in the crazy freezing weather of September, and still had some lovely new leaves for me to use in the dish;
2) I had no lemons to zest, but oranges were around, so I zested those and it was yummy anyway
3) there was no need to go out yet again to pick up what I thought I didn't have on hand, cause I had it all on hand! (So glad I did not have to put that bra back on).

It was so easy and much loved. I served it with gnocchi, cause I didn't have potatoes in the house, and just dressed those with a little sage and butter and parmiggiano--the sauce from the chicken was perfect with that. Thanks for posting that one.
pollystyrene
Hey QSpice- I looked up the Mr. Bento because I'd never heard of one (kinda got the gist of it from your posts, though) and they look so cool! Are in the inner bowls dishwasher safe?
quantumspice
I don't believe they claim to be, though they're pretty thick and sturdy and they ARE microwave safe, so I suspect they could probably make it through the dishwasher without problems.
crinoline
Well, I had intended to make gulf coast style crab cakes, but I made the mistake of sending Crinoboy to the store, with instructions to buy 1/2 pound of crabmeat. He returned with two very large packages of IMITATION crabmeat! Because it was "cheaper"! of course it was!!

Anyhoo, Does anyone know if it is possible to make decent tasting crab cakes using imitation crab? If not, does anyone have any good recipes that I can use to get rid of the stuff?

I think men do things like this on purpose, so they won't be asked to do it again. *sigh*
roseviolet
CatSoup, be sure to let us know how things work out tonight!

Crinoline, I'm afraid I've never eaten immitation crab, so I really can't offer you any advice. Sorry sad.gif

Just finished watching Nigella's show on FoodTV. Lordy, how I love that woman. I'm going to make up her recipe for Christmas fruitcake this week. Sheff has requested it as his birthday cake (since we didn't have any at Xmas). It's just under one month until his birthday, so I think that'll be enough time for it to age properly.

And yes, I see some noses wrinkling at the idea of fruitcake, but it can be really nice if made correctly! Honest!
WasabiNinja
ChaCha, I never thought to use orange zest but it's a bloody good idea. Also pairing it with gnocchi...brilliant!
just throw in some nature's broom and your perfect. Arugula perhaps.
mouse
crinoline, you could make some sort of salad with avocado, tomatoes & lime--or, of course, california rolls!
chachaheels
WasabiNinja--I wish I'd had some arugula when I made it, or some rabe. Either would have been perfect. For some reason, I wasn't able to grow enough of that stuff this year, and my garden got me as far as early Sept. for fresh greens, so I didn't even think about it the day I had to make the chicken. But I'll definitely make a gnocchi or orrechietti pasta with the greens to go with that dish the next time I make it, if I opt for pasta instead of potatoes.

My cousin visited yesterday, though, with fresh rabe from her garden, and lots of it (all grown with no pesticides and no crappy fertilizers, yay!). It's probably the last January harvest I'm going to hear about, since it looks like we're finally getting some snow (though for now it's just rain). I've already pulled the veal shanks out of the freezer to defrost for osso bucco tonight. Love making meals that need long cooking times to make--leaves me free to do everything else that has to be done.

Crinoline, I half suspect you're right about men's motives. Imitation crab could make a crab salad for sandwiches, though; and I suppose if you want you could chop it finely and then use it to make "crab" cakes
but I bet you'll prefer what you're used to.
treehugger
I'm interested to hear what was done with the imitation crab. I used to work in a meat department and we used to use it to make a crab "spread"...basically chop it up really fine and add onion, mayo, sour cream, maybe some cajun spice..

So I'm feeling pretty domestic lately which is strange for me! I even went on a cheesecloth finding mission yesterday so I could try my hand at making sourdough bread! I made the starter yesterday. I thought it'd be thinner than it is. I suppose maybe after it ferments a while?

Anybody done sourdough before?

I think I'm gonna need to get a kitchen aid mixer....
tart
Your starter will thin out a bit as it develops, Treehugger, fear not. You can always add a slosh more water if it still seems pasty. What did you use for your yeast source? And yes, a KitchenAid would be a very worthwhile investment - Chefs Catalog frequently has good sales this time of year...

Having made bread for years & years, I lose touch sometimes with how magical the process can be. I gave an in-house baking lesson to K's boyfriend over the weekend, and he was positively giddy when we checked the first rise & saw how much it had risen... Waiting to hear how his cinnamon rolls turned out yesterday.

Crin, we used to do a "seafood" salad at the diner with crabby legs - minced celery, mayo, a bit of sour cream, fresh parsley, tarragon & a slosh of dry sherry, salt & pepper. It was surprisingly tasty... and I think your take on the motive is right on! That tactic got my ex out of doing laundry for 3 years...
turbojenn
Here's my momma's killer krab recipe for krabby muffins.

make a salad of the diced krab with mayo, scallions, celery, parsley, a dash of dijon mustard, tarragon, salt & pepper. Get yourself some english muffins, and butter each half. Make a topping for the krab muffies with 2 egg yolks, a couple dollops of softened cream cheese, a dash of sherry, dijon mustard, salt and pepper - it should be the consistency of thick yougurt when everything's combined. Preheat your broiler, and toast your buttered muffins for one quick minute. Top with the krab salad, and then add the egg/cheese topping, and put under the broiler for 5 minutes, until the egg mixture starts to brown slightly. Eat them while they're hot!

This was the basis for many a quick dinner at our house with a nice salad on the side, and always a crowd pleaser. You could add a can of real lump crab to the salad portion as well to bump the crab flavor, but still keep costs down.

Damn! Now I want me some imitation krab!
raisingirl
I just have to do this. RV, this one's for you:

IPB Image
roseviolet
Damn straight.
[places hands on hips & nods sagely]
crinoline
Thanks for the tips ya'll!!

Well, the night I was supposed to make crab cakes I made krab stuffed hush puppies which turned out pretty nice. They tasted like fish stuffed hush puppies though...

Avocado krab salad sounds delicious! And the other salads are basically egg salad with krab instead, right?
Now to make Crinoboy eat all of this krab...

Are any of ya'll members at Allrecipes.com? I LOVE that site! I'll start posting some of my better recipes on here now (I just discovered this thread!)
raisingirl
I'm not a fan of allrecipes.com; I'm an Epicurious snob.
pollystyrene
I like allrecipes as a starting point for an idea, but a lot of times what I end up doing is pretty far from their directions. I like epicurious a lot, though.
chachaheels
I like epicurious a lot too (love Gourmet magazine and I sometimes like Bon Appetit--they're not "equal"). But just reading over the comments on those recipes on their site I can see that everyone takes wild liberties with them, so Pollystyrene, you're not alone.

Oh, and, as convenient as the epicurious site is to use for recipe ideas, so many of those recipes have not been tested (as tart noted) and some are just impossible, if the directions are followed directly (so there have to be typos that no one will ever fix). For a long time, I thought I was doing something wrong!
lilyblue
I had to come in here to share what I want to try one day.
Popcorn popped in bacon fat

Sounds so good...wrong but good.

chachaheels
Sounds a lot less wrong to me than popping popcorn in an unnamed, deodorized and bleached "vegetable" fat soaked in a variety of red and yellow dye substances and then turned into a plastic via hydrogenation, which then must be flavoured with too much salt, as well as an MSG based "flavour" and "scent", or "spice" so that we can believe it's been popped in butter.

Sounds less wrong than popping it in butter, too; butter tastes amazing, but it sure does burn fast at that very high popping temperature, which makes for a disappointing popcorn.

I say go for it. Sounds healthy, and it also sounds like the way popcorn would have been popped a long time ago.
tesao
*tiptoes into thread*

i am here to admit that last night, for the first time ever, i tried Nutella.

oh my goddess.

i ate it on top of a fresh sliced banana. no need for ice cream, although that would be heavenly as well.

since i am positive that i am in the minority of just having popped my nutella cherry -----

(or should i say nut? where does that meaning for cherry come from, anyway? and what would a popped cherry LOOK like? especially one popped in bacon fat???)

----- what do the rest of you do with your nutella???

raisingirl
Oh, wouldn't YOU like to know! Heh.

My favorite thing to do is make crepes and then smear some Nutella on 'em (but I'm using a Nutella substitute until they change their recipe so as to get rid of the partially hydrogenated shit /endminirant) along with little bits of cut-up fruit or jam.

Nutella on banana is a classic combination.

But seriously, even something as simple as a hunk of bread will do.

I think I have had it on top of ice cream! Mmmm.
tesao
ooooo, raisin, that sounds DIRYT!!

what is this hydrogenated stuff you are talking about in it??

*runs into kitchen to look at ingredient list*
bunnyb
congrats tes! there's no turning back now wink.gif.

I love heated nutella on strawberries, nutella wontons is also a wonderful way to eat it.
roseviolet
I just eat Nutella by itself with a spoon. Pure and simple and YUM!

We're having another dinner party! Over in OkayLand I mentioned what I'm cooking today & there were some recipe requests, so I thought I'd share them all with you here. Most of the menu comes straight from Nigella Lawson. I love her recipes. Her books are so friendly and chatty and so ... her! Plus, when I cook her stuff, I can't help but imagine her luscious beauty. Mrowr! Luckily, the food is tasty, too. wink.gif

For dinner, I'm making a couple of things from Nigella's show on Food Network.
One Pan Sage & Onion Chicken & Sausage: This is probably the most rambling name for a dish that I have ever seen. But it's very easy and looks like it'll be tasty!
Garlic Roast Potatoes: A very basic recipe. This is one of my favorite ways to eat potatoes!
Glazed carrots: A simple recipe from America's Test Kitchens.
Peas: Even more simple than the carrots!

And for dessert, I have already made these wonderful cookies ... and eaten a few, too! They are buttery shortbread with lemon on top & they truly do melt in your mouth. They're especially marvelous when still a bit warm

Lemon Gems from Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddess

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 Tbsp lemon juice
zest of one lemon
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
scant 1/4 cup ground almonds
2 Tbsp cornstarch
6-7 Tbsp lemon curd

2 baking sheets, lined with parchment paper

Preheat oven to 350F.
In a large bowl, beat the shortening, butter, and sugar together, then add the egg yolk, lemon juice, zest, & salt. Gently fold in the flour in two additions, then the ground almonds and cornstarch. Take care not to be too heavy-handed, as rigorous blending will make the dough very sticky. It veers towards that anyway, so when all's combined, put the dough in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour.
Form into balls the size of cherry tomatoes and place the balls 1 inch apart on your prepared baking sheets. Make an indentation with your thumb in each biscuit, and then cook for 20-25 minutes. They should appear golden and firm.
As soon as they come out of the oven, fill each cookie with a scant 1/2 teaspoon of lemon curd. When they're all filled, transfer them to wire racks to cool.
Makes about 40.

Actually, I got 31 cookies out of this.
pollystyrene
I'm drooling over all of that rose! What kind of sausage would you use for chicken & sausage dish?
roseviolet
Polly, if you were near, you'd certainly be invited to join us. smile.gif

Nigella doesn't give any tips on which sausage to use (one of my few gripes). I suspect she uses Cumberland sausage, but that can be hard (possibly impossible) to find outside of England. I know that Cumberland sausage is pork & that it isn't very spicy, so I'm just using some mild pork sausage links from a local farm. I am a BIG fan of sausage, so I'm really looking forward to trying this recipe!
pollystyrene
Yeah, they look like bangers in the picture. I'll have to look around for a good sausage. For some reason, all that's coming to mind is breakfast sausage. That wouldn't work.
roseviolet
Post party report!

The chicken dish needed salt and pepper. I somehow didn't notice this while I was making it, but the recipe does not call for a single bit of salt or pepper and that is a BIG mistake in my book. Also, the sausage got over-cooked, but I think that's because I didn't get them down in the pan low enough (they were kinda wedged between the pieces of chicken, but not deeply), so they got dried out. Of course it doesn't help that they were a lot smaller and thinner than the sort that Nigella has pictured on that page, so that certainly didn't help. My guests didn't complain, though, & they ate everything, so it wasn't a total failure. The potatoes were lovely, of course, but it's not like that recipe is some major breakthrough! The hit of the night was definitely the cookies. They loooooved those cookies!
auralpoison
Stilton cheesecake reicpe! Available at Epicurious as well.

A few side notes: I don't use the shortbread crust, I do a ground, toasted almond one instead. Also, it's advised to to a carmelized, creme brulee thingy to the top & to serve with a strawberry or rhubarb compote as a complement. I did like the crackly sweet top, but I did a pear compote with a German dessert wine reduction instead instead of berry or 'barb.

For shortbread crust
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and softened

For filling
1/2 lb Stilton, rind discarded and cheese crumbled (1 cup)
3 (8-oz) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs
1 (8-oz) container sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla

Make shortbread crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Blend together flour and sugar with an electric mixer. Add butter and blend until mixture resembles coarse meal (it will not form a dough). Transfer to a buttered 24-centimeter springform pan and press evenly onto bottom. Bake in middle of oven until pale golden, about 30 minutes, then cool in pan on a rack.

Reduce temperature to 300°F.

Make filling: Beat together crumbled Stilton, cream cheese, and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed. Beat in flour and add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream and vanilla, then pour filling over cooled crust in pan.

Bake cheesecake in middle of oven until puffed and pale golden around edge, about 1‚ hours. Transfer cake in pan to rack and run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Cool completely, about 2 hours. Chill, covered, until cold, at least 4 hours. Remove side of pan and transfer cake to a plate.

Glad your shindig went well, RV! I loves me some Nigella. I want to make her cranberry glazed ham soon.

mouse
oh my god, ap, that sounds freaking delicious. i loooooove savory/sweet things. trader joe's has this stilton with apricots in it....and it is so effing good....i just want to make it into cake frosting--so the stilton cheesecake idea blows my mind.

i think i'm going to have to takeover someone's oven soon.
chachaheels
Nutella was made for crepes. Well, maybe it wasn't, but it sure does end up in them pretty often (there's this nice little creperie in Toronto whose front window is just a big wall of Nutella jars line up on shelves. They use it up every day, and build it up again, every day).

Since Pepper posted that recipe for homemade Nutella, I haven't bothered with the store bought stuff. Tastes so much better when you leave the margarine/shortening out (that's the hydrogenated stuff we're talking about) and just use real hazelnut oil instead.

Nutella and peanut butter sandwiches are also pretty damned good.
opheliathemuse
trader joe's makes a nutellaish thing without hydrogenated oils. I think they still carry it...

oh my god ap, what a recipe. I love stilton, never been much for plain cheesecakes. Maybe this will be the one. My gracious.
raisingirl
Trader Joe's indeed does still carry a non-hydrogenated fake Nutella! Not that I was just drooling over it the other weekend when I was at the store or anything, nuh-uh, not I... rolleyes.gif
lunasol
I just had some of it as dessert on fresh bread. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
kelkello
Does anyone have a good, easy recipe for Thai Tom Yum soup? My problem is finding lemon grass and lime leaves in my backwoods, podunk town. We have no Thai restaurant, obviously, and I am craving Tom Yum soup sooooo badly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.