Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: barefoot, precocious, and in the kitchen
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
msp
QUOTE(angelle321 @ Apr 18 2007, 05:23 PM) *
How long can you really keep hard-boiled eggs? (and, of course, still want to eat them)

Peel them and put them in a bowl of cold water and they'll keep for about 5-7 days. Obviously, if they start to smell off - not just eggy, but bad eggy - then they should be pitched.
mouse
polly, i did get it! THANKYOU! i did have a slip from ups, but it turned out to be something else, and then i got a "final notice" slip from the post office and THAT was you. they're REALLY BAD at getting me notice slips; i hardly ever get the first two, just the "final notice" one. HARRUMPH. but i'm excited to start cooking, yay!

yesterday my car died and i couldn't take it into the shop until today and i am sorely in need of groceries so i was looking forlornly in my fridge and cupboards and wondering what to make. i had a tiny bit of ground beef, some feta cheese, an elderly cucumber, lemons, two leftover boiled artichokes, onions and a can of garbanzo beans. what the hell. but i made it work! i am having a small burger patty with sauteed onions, and threw together the garbanzo beans, cucumber, artichoke hearts and feta with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and lemon and it's actually made a pretty darn decent salad. go me!

also a couple days ago i improvised on the simple herb-roasted chicken recipe from "how to cook everything" and made a nice little chicken breast brushed with olive oil, fresh basil, fresh oregano (from my little oregano plant!) and some tomato paste and DAMN it was delicious. like chicken pizza. yum.
pollystyrene
Oh, good mouse- I'm glad you're enjoying it!

So, I heard you might be in Chicago in June? Do you have dates?
mouse
somewhere around the 17th. i'm not sure how much time i'll have--its for a wedding, not a vacation--but i will let the midwestern busties know for sure closer to the date!
opheliathemuse
I started cooking again, due to my hour changes! I made some brussel sprouts in white wine and shallots, and rice pasta with a chili flake/garlicky red pepper saute the other night. I'm currently really into this cannellini bean dip I sort of improvised--just toss in some chopped or minced raw garlic, some oregano (I used dried), torn or chopped fresh basil, sea salt, and extra virgin olive oil along with rinsed cannellini beans. If you need to, add some water to the mix. I added some lentils and carrots last night, and it tasted very nice! I'm thinking of roasting an eggplant next. Also, trying a salsa/black bean dip. We'll see how that works. I love snacky things!
opheliathemuse
Please tell me I didn't kill this thread! I love lurking in it too much.

Today I made: a smoothie (like every other day, really) with banana, mango, pineapple, pomegranate, and orange
sauteed collard, mustard, and turnip greens in olive oil, garlic, and white wine
quinoa with carrots, olive oil, chili flakes, and oregano
roasted eggplant, which I am still considering. I could either eat them alone or add them to the cannelli bean mixture I have on hand, making a pseudo baba ganoush deal-y. I don't like eggplant parmesan at all. Hmm. Time to dig out my lovely Mediterranean cookbook I have.
opheliathemuse
you know, I have another eggplant, and I have been wanting to roast it in the manner of Indian eggplant, long and low. mmmmmm.
bunnyb
ophelia, you could make moussaka.
opheliathemuse
oh, I shall have to look how to make that! Thank you!
I'm going to make stuffed peppers tomorrow, with marcona alomonds in olive oil and rosemary, filled with quinoa and rice I think.
I make a quick brown rice tortilla quesadilla with lentils, pureed salsa, and cheese. The lentils were divine in it--better than beans!
kelkello
*bump*
chachaheels
Chives and scallions are the first herbs to come out of my garden so far.

Can't wait for tomatoes (and I know that's weeks away) to make gazpacho with.
pollystyrene
I planted chives, mint and basil last weekend. The basil and chives have little sprigs up, but nothing from the mint yet. I've got tomato seeds, I just have to get planting!
erinjane
I couldn't believe how early the chives came up in my garden this year. There was still snow on the ground.
kelkello
Yum. Gazpacho. Can't wait for big, red, ripe gazpacho tomatoes.
quantumspice
I ate the most amazing lunch today. Grilled rattlesnake with black pepper jelly, smoked buffalo with a raspberry-plum BBQ sauce, sweet potato fries, and a delicious homemade lava chocolate cake/etc.

Actually, all of our meals were pretty awesome today. I started off at this vegan coffeehouse/bakery and had a stucky pecan roll with a fruit smoothie for breakfast... and then lunch... and for dinner, we went to this local Mexican joint that specializes in Baja cuisine and had awesome San Diego-like fish tacos!
chachaheels
Quantum, what was the rattlesnake like? I always hear people say they don't like it, but those were from people who wouldn't like anything that deviates from whatever they're familiar with.
walkingbitch
I made gaspacho for the first time this season this Sunday. I am still enjoying the yummy yummy 2 gallons worth.... (I know 2 people 2 gallons, must finish by Sunday... lol but I've given lots away in recycled poland spring bottles to many, provided they give me their bottles, cause even washed I wouldn't give out my washback bottles....)
quantumspice
It was pretty good. I thought it was less stringy than alligator, and more tender. A little more gamey than, say, chicken... but not as gamey as venison.
kelkello
Last night we had this Mediterranean/Indian thing at my house. We had hummus with pine nuts; pita; cucumber/yogurt salad; shrimp with Indian spices; and this couscous salad I made with garlic, red onion, pine nuts, fresh parsley, and goat cheese. Baklava for dessert!! It was so freaking good!! I want to eat that forever!
chachaheels
Quantum, I'm even more curious about the rattlesnake now. Were any particular flavourings used (are they any particular ones that are always used in preparing it?)? Where did you have a chance to try it?

(Just my thing--I've had a fascination with snakes forever).

I'm trying to find a recipe for a friend, who wants a recipe for Italian "gravy".
He says "gravy" is the name for meat sauce for pasta--and it very probably is, in the US (I've never heard Italians in Canada refer to that sauce as "gravy").

I'm not sure if it is the same kind of sauce as ragu, which is that 3 types of meat and tomato sauce that you cook for several hours and finish by adding cream. He says it isn't (and wants to keep the sauce milk free). I've looked in all my cookbooks written by Italians and "gravy" always refers to pan drippings from meat roasts thickened with flour, not sauces for pasta; anyone have any Italian American "gravy" recipes on hand?
treehugger
Chacha, I found this recipe on recipeczar.
chachaheels

Thanks, Treehugger!

I'm finding that meatsauces for pasta only leave milk/cream out if they are pork based. Whenever beef's involved, suddenly milk or cream becomes part of the recipe (like in the Valerie's recipe, the sauce itself is milk free, but the beef meatballs include 1/4 cup of milk in the mix. Hmm). I have some idea why that might be (I'm guessing there isn't enough fat/enzymes in the meat for it to cook to tenderness, even if cooking times are extended and on low heat), but I don't know for certain.

Anyway, I will pass it along (and hopefully get an invite to the "test" dinner).
zora
It's getting to be my favorite time of year for pastry. We're getting in the first good berries of the year and I know that soon it will be Mt Hood Strawberry season. I'd like to think of some good desserts for strawberries. I was thinking of making strawberry sauce for ice cream, but what would be the best way to show off the BEST strawberries of the year? Our customers buy these strawberries by the flat and I really want something simple and amazing to show them off.
chachaheels
Does it have to be in pastry, Zora?

I think some of the simplest ways to present strawberries are the best, just the berries themselves with something that will heighten their colour or aroma or taste, particularly if they're really good strawberries.

Hulled strawberries with a little sugar and white balsamic vinegar--just combine and let them soak for about an hour; then they can be served over panna cotta or ice cream; or serve a variation, with just a bit of freshly ground cracked black pepper

Dark Chocolate covered strawberries (they always look so pretty and people love them).

Strawberry, mint, and kirsch soup

but that link probably won't work, so here's what you need--about 2 1/2lbs. of hulled strawberries, 3 oz or so (to taste) of icing sugar, a splash of kirsch (you decide the size of the splash), 6 mint leaves, and some fresh ground black pepper (if you like the combination). Slice up about a quarter of the nicest looking berries and reserve; then rub the rest through a sieve. Combine all the rest of the ingredients and sweeten to taste--serve chilled.
mouse
zora, i just went to a dinner party where the hostess served fresh strawberries with sour cream and brown sugar to dip them in. the combination is AMAZING!
cecilia
I went a bar in Ebisu the other night and it is now my favorite bar in Tokyo. The bartender served a different (free!) snack every half hour or so. One was strawberry ice candy. Hulled strawberries filled with some sort of cream, then frozen. So simple yet so good.
quantumspice
I like to keep it simple... cannoli cream and strawberries. Though, I don't use Splenda, just a teaspoon or two of sugar.

However... I am also a huge fan of "no bake" strawberry pie - the kind that you have a graham cracker crust (though sometimes I do parbake it for a little bit, but that's neither here nor there), make a glaze with sugar and cornstarch and water and vanilla and pour it over fresh hulled & sliced strawberries cool and serve some whipped cream with it. And you can use a TON of strawberries that way - usually 1 qt for the glaze (and if you do it with whipped cream on the pie, some garnish) and 1qt for the rest of the pie. That store bought glaze is crap compared to making your own, especially if you start playing with things (like adding a little Grand Marnier or kirsch or some spices or have mint leaves infuse with the glaze but fish 'em out). So.freaking.good.
puppykitty
zora - I'm with chacha on the strawberry soup.

She has mint and kirsch - I would add Grand marnier and a squeeze of lime, and maybe serve with a scoop of champagne sorbet.

I have also made strawberry soup garnished with a little bit of yogurt.

I think strawberries go great with white chocolate mousse.

I also have a recipe - which is at work right now - for a tart which is really easy to make.

It's pretty much cream cheese, sour cream, meringue and sugar mixed together, spread into a baked short dough shell and topped with sliced strawberries. Very very summery. You could even make the filling and put it into a martini glass and top with the berries for an individual dessert.

zora
You know, I think the strawberries and white chocolate mouse would probably sell really well. We did strawberry soup last year. Most of it went home at the end of the night with the employees, so we might not do it again. I definitely want to do a variation of the fresh strawberry pies though. I'm really ready for the berries! They haven't arrived yet, but we're thinking by wednesday they will be in. Oooooo, whee!

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions guys!
quantumspice
I need to make cupcakes. I curse my friend for showing me cupcakeblog.
WasabiNinja
I am throwing a mid-sized housewarming shindig and am hoping you have some party recipes ideas to share. I am on a super budget but want it to be special. I'll be firing up the grill and I think my guests will bring some side dishes.

I need snack ideas for sure.
pollystyrene
Hmm, wasabi, one of my favorites is this stuff called "Texas Caviar"- the ingredients vary from recipe to recipe, but it's basically beans (black or black-eyed peas), diced tomatoes, chopped onions (regular or green), sliced black olives, corn, avocado chunks, chopped jalapenos; then you pour Italian dressing over it and it's a salad or a chip dip. It's pretty good and very easy.

Turbo, do you have a recipe you go by for your lamb burgers, like spices or anything? Any accoutrements, like yogurt sauce or something to go with it? I got some ground lamb and I'm itchin' to make lamb burgers!!
pollystyrene
I'm making these baked beans for Father's Day- do I need to have an enamel or cast iron dutch oven? I'm doubling that recipe and I think I'm going to have to use my 16 qt stainless steel stock pot....would that be okay?
yummymum
Hey you guys! It's been a long time since I've been on these boards. But I need help...

I'm cooking for my BF this weekend, for the first time. We're probably just going to grill out some steaks or something. However, I need ideas for good side dishes. Since I'm not really cooking a big fancy meal for him, and it's just grilling, I kind of want to do something special for the rest of it. Just not sure what would go good with steaks on the grill.

Ugh, I hate the thought of being judged by what I cook. This is exactly why I don't cook for guys that I date. But this is different and I want to make a good impression. Pitiful! I must be whipped or something. Haha... No pun intended!

Ideas?

Thanks!

shinyx3
i have never posted in this thread but read through for ideas and such and i have to comment on the cupcake blog! omg! i love it. i have to go make cupcakes now!

by the way, have any of you had jackfruit before. that is new to me. i had to look it up on wikipedia. i will look for it today when i go to the market.
kari
Hi, yummy! I'll see if I can come up with anything. I know what you mean, if the main dish is grilled, it really frees you up to do more complex things for sides.

hi, shiny! I haven't ever heard of jackfruit. What's it like?

Polly, what'd you end up using to cook the beans?
pollystyrene
Maybe some herb-y, olive oil-y roasted potato wedges, yummy? You could make a little foil pouch and do them on throw it on the grill with the steaks. You could do that with any veggies, really.

I ended up doing it in my stainless steel stock pot. They turned out fine. Sometimes those specifications that recipes make aren't really necessary.
zora
Jackfruit is one of the few tropical fruits that I like. It's unusual flavored and makes great smooties. I think the vietnamese places I go to blend jackfruit with condensed milk and ice. Yum. They are also enormous. Like, bigger than two people's heads.
kari
Wow! seriously? Bigger than two people's heads? I gotta see one of those!

Polly, yes, I agree. I follow recipes rather loosely too.
lilypickford
Hi there,
I'm new to this thread, so I thought I'd contribute a new pesto recipe that I kinda threw together the other day. It's very light and fresh, and a great way to use up the rest of the cilantro after making a big tex-mex meal...

Here are the amounts I used [approximately]:

1 big bunch of cilantro, including stems
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 small can of anchovies packed in olive oil
2 large cloves garlic
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
Juice of one lime

Grind all but oil and lime in food processor, then slowly add oil and lime with processor on low.

...It's great on whole-wheat pasta or home-made pizza...
shinyx3
ok, i live in a fairly small town so i may be out of luck all together but where would i be most likely to find jackfruit? i must try it! at the grocery they did not even know what i was talking about.
zora
Vietnamese markets will have them, at least canned. I usually only see them fresh in California.
grrrlyouwant
i need a recipe for an all-purpose muffin batter. i was shopping at costco the other day, and all those berries and dried fruits were inspiring me to do some baking. so what i need is a basic base that i can experiment with adding different stuff to. nothing fancy, and maybe with a small yield so if the experiments turn out yucky, i don't have like, fifty blueberry-mango muffins to foist off on unsuspecting victims.
missjoy
I used to have one of those recipes grrrlyouwant. It was for a muffin mix so you could make one or two at a time adding whatever you wanted to them - I'll try to look it up for you (I can't right now as I'm Bust-ing from work, bad me).

So my little town has started an organic farmers market. Well, I think it is mostly organic. It's a little sad as there are, like, 4 vendors with little folding tables, but I digress. I've been thinking of making some baked goods and selling them at the market. I think they would be happy for anyone to add to their group and I love to bake. As it is just me and JoyBoy (who is only home 50% of the time) it is hard to do baking as I either eat waaaaaay too much or stuff goes stale. Besides, I would think of it like a hobby with the added plus of some cash.

So my actual question. I'm fired up around doing some fancy cupcake decorating so I'm heading off to a cake decorating store I googled online. I have a tendancy to get really excited about these things and blowing a lot of money. Does anyone have some suggestions on good tools to start with? I'm thinking a pastry bag with some general tips, perhaps some fondant and a couple tools to start with to get the feeling of it and a reference book. I understand that it is best to take a class - but I'm thinking of this practice decorating as something fun to do while I have the home to myself for the next two weeks.
missjoy
Double post - with a purpose!

I found the muffin recipe I was thinking of - I was wrong, you can't make a few at a time, but you could probably mess with the proportions to do a fraction of the recipe - and it is made to add whatever you want to.

8 cups flour (again, if you prefer whole wheat, use whole wheat pastry flour)
3 cups sugar (can use sucanat if you prefer, see note on pancake mix)
3 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg

Combine everything in a large bowl and divide into freezer zipper topped bags. Mark date with a Sharpie pen and store in the freezer or cool dry place.

To make muffins:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a bowl, mix together 3 cups baking mix, 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, 2 eggs, 3/4 cup milk and 3/4 cup berries, raisins, chocolate chips or whatever else you'd like.

Bake in a prepared muffin pan-that means lightly greased (I prefer the cupcake papers-easy clean up!), filling cups 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until nicely browned. Cool for five minutes in the pan then turn out on to a rack to cool. Makes about 12 muffins, depending on the size of your muffin tin.
quantumspice
That might be for giant muffins... most muffin recipes that I've used use 2 1/2-3 1/2 C of flour for 12 "normal" sized muffins. Whoops, I just noticed you only use about a third of the mix at a time... ahahaha, well, ok, that sounds much more normal! I'm a dork.

I found the most delicious recipe for monkey bread. OMG. Fabulous. And it's so bad for you, too. I'm thinking about doing a variation with bananas and pecans, because that'll go so well with the cinnamon caramely goodness...
missjoy
Yeah - I think that is why I originally thought you could do just a couple muffins at a time, because you only use part of the dry mix - but it is for about 12 at a time.

I did buy my decorating stuff. I mostly played around with the pastry bag and tips. Question though. I only have one tip of each shape, does this mean I can't switch between colours without making a huge mess if I want to use the same tip?

I loooove the gel food colourings! Such beautiful colours with so little colouring!

Has anyone else here read the 101 cookbooks blog? If you haven't it is great - interesting recipies (vegetarian) with beautiful photography!

Does anyone else have food/foodie websites they frequent?

(sorry for taking over the thread!)

ETA: I just saw that link at the bottom of your post quantum... off to explore!
grrrlyouwant
thanks missjoy, that's exactly what i was looking for!
chachaheels
101 Cookbooks is a great blog--and so is that Cupcake Bakeshop blog posted a little earlier.
I'm also a fan of Cooking for Engineers--lots of interesting information on that site; quantum spice has an interesting blog, as well.
shinyx3
i found jackfruit! canned. haven't tried it yet though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.