Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Celebrity Gossip!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83
pinkpoodle
Wait--I thought Whitney and Bobby had something in common??? Oh yeah, that's right!! They're both FUCKING WEIRD-ASS JUNKIES!!! Sorry, I forgot.
moxiegirl
polly- WOW, your SIL sounds like a heroine to me.

Whitney- i guess she won't always love bobby, eh?

(hangs head in shameful pun, goes to stir pasta)
yuefie
I do know plenty about PCOS, and weight *loss* is not a symptom that I've ever heard of - rather emphatically to the contrary, as (to oversimplify) the underlying cause is insulin resistance, which causes your body to hoard fat.
Amen to that sistah girl! Yeah, having PCOS myself, I can safely say sudden weightloss is not a symptom. At least not one I'm familiar with.

Poor Anna Nicole. I don't care what the circumstances are surrounding his death, or what a freak show she is, that is just heart breaking.

amilita
Moxie, you sound as if you have a really great OB.

I am very curious about Anna Nicole's son...I'm guessing drug OD. That lady is a train wreck, but it's still so sad.

ETA: Boy some of those celebrities just can't keep any weight on...Posh loses with a condition that usually makes you gain, Nicole Richie eats everything she wants, including the infamous weight-gain-diet-of-burritos and she's still under 100#. Must be something in the water.
crazyoldcatlady
yeah, amilita, it's called CRACK.

and my, the board these days it lit up with debate!

can't we get back to the superficial? sometimes i just wanna talk about Blohan's cleanly shaven snatch flashes.
roseviolet
CatLady, I must say that I'm thinking I may have to stay away from Pink is the New Blog simply because every time I go to that site, I run into LaLohan's hairless crotch! [shudder] When will that girl learn to put on some panties? At least a thong, for heaven's sake.
pinkpoodle
Bwahahaha!!! I've never seen that site before!!

That Lohan pic is awful. WTF? I think she just wants everyone to see her bits so she can be a the bad girl type.

"Whitney wants to divorce somebody" Hahaha!!!

I'm not sure if you guys touched on this story earlier, but in People magazine, Lionel Richie said that Nicole's weight loss is due to "nerves." Um yeah...
pandorasbox
slightly off topic...does anyone have the address of the site that mirrors "The A List"?
anoushh
Money Quote:
Lead singer Natalie Maines, in the forthcoming documentary "Dixie Chicks: Shut Up and Sing," after watching a clip of President Bush talk about freedom: "What a dumb fuck." (TMZ)
auralpoison
I don't think there is any kind of mirror for A List because 90% of it was bullshit.
yuefie
Just heard on Conan O'Brien: "Rumor has it Paris Hilton didn't actually sing on her album. Her producer said 'Yes, that's true and you're welcome'." Bwahahaha laugh.gif
mamachi
i know you're all tired of the vaginal birth vs. c-section vs elective c-section debate but i have to add my two cents. What hurt me most when giving birth were the contractions which feel like serious menstrual cramps, and not the actual expulsion. Also for those of you that are terrified, epidurals are extremely efficient at calming contractions. I had a well dosed epidural and when my son finally came out i felt a serious high and definite physical pleasure. i've read before that during labor the baby's head pushes against your g-spot and your body produces endorphins like crazy. when my boy came out it felt good. our bodies are amazing. I also know a mother of five who opted for natural birth no drugs for all five of her kids and she experienced a natural high/pleasure at every birth.
the end, sorry, it might be reassuring to hear that not every birth is traumatizing.
raisingirl
Wow, Whitney and Bobby had been married for only 14 years? Seemed like much longer than that for such a train wreck of a marriage.

Why the hell do I care?! Gah.

First of all, let's get one thing straight. Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack, let's get that straight. OK? I don't do crack. I don't do that. Crack is whack.
vesicapisces
QUOTE(butterfly @ Sep 13 2006, 02:20 PM) *

It's going to be called The Riches, on the FXchannel(?),

Ah, man, I love FX. They're the folks who do Nip/Tuck, and Rescue Me, and The Shield - frickin' brilliant and often subversive programming, which is weird considering they're affiliated with Fox. Go figure.

And this may seem silly, but I would like to thank Raisingirl for the "h" in "whack." (I really need to prioritize the things that drive me crazy, don't you think?)
chachaheels
Oooh, I knew that caesarian vs. Natural birth discussion was gonna cause trouble...I have been in that discussion on this board (in this thread! even) before, and let me tell you it stings. Personally, I think it's great that it gets brought up--but I hate the fracas that starts up when people don't want to take part in the discussion. My .02 cents.

Ironically found an email in my inbox today from a journal--the topic: Sudden Cardiac Death in Athletes (young athletes, mostly between ages 12 to 24; compared to the same thing in older athletes (35 years and up).
It's not an uncommon phenomenon in people who do high-activity, high impact sports; and it does happen during and after sudden immense exertion. I thought about Anna Smith's son when I was reading that article--he'd be the right age, and he surfed, didn't he? It can also happen as a result of sudden trauma to the chest, particularly in younger people. So who knows?

PCOS and weight loss. You'd think the woman would at least look up the ailment she was gonna blame her vomiting fixation on. Sheesh.

ETA: Boy some of those celebrities just can't keep any weight on...Posh loses with a condition that usually makes you gain, Nicole Richie eats everything she wants, including the infamous weight-gain-diet-of-burritos and she's still under 100#. Must be something in the water.

My guess would be Ipecac.
raisingirl
QUOTE(vesicapisces @ Sep 14 2006, 09:17 AM) *

And this may seem silly, but I would like to thank Raisingirl for the "h" in "whack." (I really need to prioritize the things that drive me crazy, don't you think?)

HA! Anytime, babe.
mamachi
has anyone ever seen pics of johnny depp's kids?

butterfly
Mamachi- I have, but their faces were real fuzzy.

Vesica, thank you for explaining... I feel I can breathe a little easier.
bunnyb
I think that Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis try to keep them out of the limelight as much as possible. Also, I'm not sure if this is just in the UK ... but the paparazzi are only allowed to take photos of celebrity children with the parents' permission. I've seen photos, I think a spread in Hello or OK with a glorious interview with Johnny about how his daughter (Lily-Rose Melody) teaches him French as his is conversational whereas she is fluent... wrong thread?

WHY did I not keep that interview? it had yummy pics too /de-railment
sixelacat
RE the Izzardness: His F/X show (which he is executive producing) was originally supposed to be more drama than comedy, which is why they are re-shooting now. I'm gonna have to suck it up and get cable, just for this show!

And can I say I am seethingly jealous of UK Busties, who get to see Eddie as a chef in a cooking drama? I would pay serious money to see him in a chef's coat doing what I used to do for a living! Someone at the BBC has been reading my diary....
bunnyb
OMG, that UK drama is set in "a top Glasgow eatery" - I may have to watch that! Actually, I'm defnitely going to watch that. The Riches (the F/X show) sounds good too.
pinkpoodle
Perfect timing!! I just posted pics of his kids in the Depp thread.
sassygrrl
Sixel, with you on the UK bustie jeolous. Wonder if it will ever come out on DVD? It looks good. Love love Circle. I forgot how damn funny it was. smile.gif
The bit about Darth Vader never falls to have me laughing so hard that I'm crying...

runs over to depp thread again.

crazyoldcatlady
i'm betting the anna nicole's son had a pulmonary embolism (PE).
Things they said in the media and what i took away from it:

"we found a cause of death at autopsy" -meaning, something they saw grossly...like a PE?

"it has something to do with the plane trip" - notorious history for people who develop PE's (long term immobility)

i dunno, i'm just guessin smile.gif

anyway,
i used to love pink is the new blog and perez hilton, but not i can't stand them b/c they've gone and started schmoozing with the very celebs they used to gleefully bash. i'm all about "the d-list". michael k hobnobs a little, but today's post about his brandon/nikki h stardown was hilarious.

bustygirl
QUOTE(pinkpoodle @ Sep 14 2006, 02:52 AM) *

I'm not sure if you guys touched on this story earlier, but in People magazine, Lionel Richie said that Nicole's weight loss is due to "nerves." Um yeah...

Wow. They found a way to snort nerves?
wombat
Oh, god, my guy and I got sucked into watching "Hell's Kitchen"

Gordon Ramsay was funny ENOUGH, though I don't see how he could do all that screaming without having a coronary.

but Eddie IZZARD?! hilarity will ensue!
butterfly
Oh, and I saw today that eddie izzard is going to be in an episode of 24.
Don't know any details though, I'm afraid.
yuefie
QUOTE(bustygirl @ Sep 15 2006, 08:24 AM) *
Wow. They found a way to snort nerves?

laugh.gif

ratgrl
A couple of years ago, there was an entertaining article in Bitch magazine about stick-thin celebrities who talk a lot about how much they eat. I remember that Katie Holmes (this was pre-Tom Cruise, pre-pregnancy, etc.) and Cameron Diaz were cited. The person who wrote the article basically said that if these women feel compelled to tell the world what, and how much, they're eating, the reality may be that they're not eating much at all. (A variation, I think, on the theory that those who talk up how much sex they're having may really not be doing it very often).

As for the currently stick-thin Nicole Richie, any claims she's making about eating a lot is total horseshit, IMO. She's clearly anorexic, on drugs, or both. If she really is chowing down on all those burritos, they're probably ending up in the toilet--via the north end, not the south.

And Victoria Beckham's claim that PCOS contributed to her weight loss--WTF?! I know for a fact that that condition tends to cause weight gain. Really, I wish that these celebrities would just quit lying about their food intakes and why they're "so skinny." I know from personal experience that it's very hard to admit to oneself, much less to other people, that one is anorexic. So while I wouldn't expect them to acknowledge that, I just think it'd be nice if they simply declined to talk about their weight to the press. They're not fooling anyone, after all. It's so stupid!

*Relurking, rant over*
sassypants
I can't quite put my finger on it, but the whole thing about Anna-Nicole's son is really bothering me. I'm glad a couple of other people have mentioned the same thing. I just can't stop thinking about how absolutly devistating that must be for her and that I, someone who has no connection to her, knows all about it.

I am a compleate celeb-aholic, I read waay too many celeb blogs and can go on ad nauseum about the tinest little trivialities about them. But suddenly in the last week I've felt a major shift towards disgust about this whole celeb culture we live in. What the hell? Are there any other celebaholics that are feeling the same way? Has this over interest in celebs reached its apex and now started on its decline? Or is it just me? unsure.gif

Anyhoo, I'm sure I'll be back on the wagon in no time. *kisses*
ratgrl
"I am a compleate celeb-aholic, I read waay too many celeb blogs and can go on ad nauseum about the tinest little trivialities about them. But suddenly in the last week I've felt a major shift towards disgust about this whole celeb culture we live in. What the hell? Are there any other celebaholics that are feeling the same way? Has this over interest in celebs reached its apex and now started on its decline? Or is it just me?" unsure.gif

I know what you mean, sassypants! I've been a serious celeb gossip-mag whore since I was about 12 (which was a looooong time ago), and in the last few years, especially, I've noticed a tremendous increase in the number of such mags that are out there. A few days ago, I was in Barnes & Noble, and there was almost an entire magazine row of celebrity rags next to one another. And I could barely distinguish one from the other, as all of them seemed to have the same pictures and headlines on the cover! Ours is most definitely an overly-obsessed society, and I'll be the first to admit that I contibute to that, via my faithful subscription renewals to both Star and People. But I also think it's a pretty sad day when press coverage of Suri Cruise trumps that of, say, the upcoming November elections, or the war in Iraq. Perhaps there will be a backlash eventually, and our society will see all the celeb-adulation for what it really is--trivia! But I don't see that happening any time soon.

And come what may, I hope this thread sticks around!
bunnyb
So Whitney Houston filed for divorce. What took her so long?

bustygirl, yuefie's post sums it up!
sassygrrl
Eddie is going to be a villian of some sort. Starting in Jan. Little blurb in the new version of Jan Entertainment Weekly with Jay-z on the cover of it. James Cromwell is going to join cast as well... Guess I'll have to start watching it now?? Need to netflix it now.

thepointybird
QUOTE(ratgrl @ Sep 16 2006, 12:08 AM) *

"I am a compleate celeb-aholic, I read waay too many celeb blogs and can go on ad nauseum about the tinest little trivialities about them. But suddenly in the last week I've felt a major shift towards disgust about this whole celeb culture we live in. What the hell? Are there any other celebaholics that are feeling the same way? Has this over interest in celebs reached its apex and now started on its decline? Or is it just me?" unsure.gif
I know what you mean, sassypants! I've been a serious celeb gossip-mag whore since I was about 12 (which was a looooong time ago), and in the last few years, especially, I've noticed a tremendous increase in the number of such mags that are out there. A few days ago, I was in Barnes & Noble, and there was almost an entire magazine row of celebrity rags next to one another. And I could barely distinguish one from the other, as all of them seemed to have the same pictures and headlines on the cover! Ours is most definitely an overly-obsessed society, and I'll be the first to admit that I contibute to that, via my faithful subscription renewals to both Star and People. But I also think it's a pretty sad day when press coverage of Suri Cruise trumps that of, say, the upcoming November elections, or the war in Iraq. Perhaps there will be a backlash eventually, and our society will see all the celeb-adulation for what it really is--trivia! But I don't see that happening any time soon.

And come what may, I hope this thread sticks around!

I actually think that the current "obsession" with celebrity is a media construct. It probably suits the right-wing, agenda-pushing press (especially the Murdoch controlled media etc) that people ARE more concerned with Suri Cruise than the war in Iraq. However, I don't actually know one person who would give a flying fuck if Paris Hilton fell off the end of the earth never to be seen or heard of again. I don't think people are interested per se, they're just looking at it because it's there. I personally feel like I know way to much about most celebrities. I don't really care if Brangelina's fighting every night and Brad's cosying up to Jennifer, but I'm not given any choice... It's not just in celeb rags (which are easily avoided by not buying them!), it's on the fucking news! It's in my newspaper! Why? Who sanctioned that news article? I really don't think people in general are more interested in celebs than they were 20 years ago, we just have them repeatedly shoved down our throats these days. It's pretty difficult to get away from. I remember reading a great article by bell hooks a few years back and she was saying this same thing - are people actually gaga for celebrity tattle, or is it just actually difficult to avoid because the press would prefer to trot out the same old line from some movie industry PR rather than actually have to go out and do some proper reporting?
bustygirl
I second that. I know for sure I don't give a flying fuck at a rolling donut what happens to 999999% of famous people. And since most of the other 1% are dead already anyway (joey, johnny, patsy, marilyn, frankie, etc....) it doesn't apply to me.

Besides, my idea of a celeb is probably waaayyy different than what most people think of to begin with. If you ask the average person who Mike Ness is, they'll give you a blank look. Where for me, he's the height of notoriety (and deliciousness).
pinkpoodle
I hate to get all academic in this thread, but I think part of the fascination with celebrities and pop culture is the irony of it. It's all so stupid, but that's what makes it so entertaining. I think most people seriously enjoy it, while others enjoy the irony of it. I've always had a fascination with pop culture, especially in retrospect, because it's hilarious to see what people thought was cool at the time and compare it to today. Pop culture never changes that way. It's always cheesy, yet so much fun. That's why VH1's, "Best of" series are so popular. It's also really interesting to look a pop culture in the context of politics, social changes, and economic conditions--or to put it in academic lingo, a "socio-politico-economic" context. laugh.gif
pinkpoodle
The thing about looking at pop culture from every era, is that there are things that are obviously cheesy, and then there are others that aren't so obvious. We know that Britney Spears is cheesy as hell, just like we knew that Captain & Tennille were cheesy at the time. But then there are the less obvious things--notably in fashion--that don't reveal themselves until later. I mean, we overlooked mullets for well over a decade. Even uber-cool legendary bands like Led Zeppelin have their share of cheese. A friend and I were laughing our asses off over John Paul Jones' "X-mas bulb" outfit. I can guarantee you that the truly cool stuff that you and I are largely ignoring right now, will baffle us ten years from now. Same goes for celebrities. We cared about Loni Anderson at one point. Loni Anderson!!! WTF?? You know that the majority of stars out there today will fade into Loni Anderson status. Anyway, I'm just rambling on right now, because I've thought about this stuff so much, yet I don't really have any words to describe it. I need to do more reading or something.
jemisoutrageous
Robert Palmer had that solo album where he samples "Black Dog" on that gay-ass 'Lighten up baby, I'm in love with you" song and it. is. so.wrong.

And it's true. mad.gif I really did overlook the mullet.
snafooey
Gay-ass?

Do you mean Robert Plant, not Robert Palmer? I also remember the Coke commercial that followed - "Tall cool one" indeed. tongue.gif

I definitely think all this intense celebrity coverage - and I do agree that in the past few years, it's gotten out of control - is a diversion from the fact that the world is going to shit - and fast. But I also think that we play into it ourselves - it's not just a nefarious scheme by the faceless "them." With the gap between rich and poor growing wider every day, a major world war becoming a closer reality all the time, and when even the middle to upper middle class struggles under mounds of debt just to keep up, gawking at our version of royalty can become a way of forgetting that things are going to get worse before they're going to get better. The more ridiculous, the more escapist.

Okay, I'm not that depressing, really, I swear. unsure.gif
kelkello
I NEVER overlooked the mullet. I remember being in sixth grade and looking at that hairdo and thinking, "Something is terribly wrong. So, so very wrong." No one believed me. Guys in my yearbook are rockin' that thing. I know a guy who STILL has one and sees not one thing wrong with it. I would consider him an intelligent fellow except for his wretched choice of hairstyle.
sidecar
The more ridiculous, the more escapist.

I also think it ties into the way luxury brands are now seen as something everyone should have access to -- you read about people fresh out of college running up credit card debt so they can buy designer pajamas and fancy wine. The fascination with celebrities has always been a big part of Western culture, but only in the past few years have regular folks tried to keep up with them, and US, Star, et al. are equally complicit in encouraging people to "trade up" so to speak.

I remember a few years ago in Popbitch, they jokingly referred to a medical procedure as "Mend It Like Beckham" in which a woman had an elective c-section and a tummy tuck at the same time, named for one Posh Spice. I know Popbitch is usually full of shit, but that's always stuck with me.

Also, PCOS? Come on, Posh. You have three children in five years at the height of your fertility and you're tiny. That doesn't square with PCOS as I understand it.
wombat
Loni Anderson. What was particularly bad about her is how mean she turned out to be. She's like "whatever happened to baby jane" scary.

sidecar -- I knew some college students -- too many -- working full time with me at my full time job, during the school year while going to school full time.

Oh, they weren't working their way through!! Their dads were paying expensive rent. They were working for expensive, several hundered dollar blue jeans, laptops, ipods, and name brand courier bags with wacky drawings on them. and to go to Paris on spring break. and to go to expensive bars to buy expensive drinks. Because, otherwise, the other kids would think they were LOSERS.

And the rest of us had to deal with them constantly calling in sick, slacking, whining and crying because they were too tired.

Yeah huh.
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(jemisoutrageous @ Sep 17 2006, 07:50 PM) *

Robert Palmer had that solo album where he samples "Black Dog" on that gay-ass 'Lighten up baby, I'm in love with you" song and it. is. so.wrong.

And it's true. mad.gif I really did overlook the mullet.

That was Robert Plant, the mighty trip and fall sometimes.
pinkpoodle
Celebrities are very disposable these days, too. They're cheaper (reality TV) and easy to dismiss once something more interesting comes along shortly after. It's like we have Celebrity A.D.D. here. Our media is so much faster and more accessible (unavoidable, really), that we eat celebrities up like M&M's and grab another handful. It kinda goes along with western consumption culture as a whole.

Robert Palmer is dead isn't he?

I want to strangle Robert Plant these days. I hate when talented rockstars cling onto their youth, yet develop this whole "I'm an arteest and I have completely moved on from my days with *insert band name*," which is basically what Robert Plant chose to do. He also looks and sounds like shit.
lilacwine13
Yeah, Robert Palmer died in 2003 of a heart attack.

I have nothing to add except I agree with what's been said in here about celebrity worship being more escapist than anything else. It pisses me off that the more interesting stuff about the 70's, 80's and 90's gets shoved aside for something that isn't as interesting nor as significant.
pinkpoodle
What exactly do you mean? Like the O.J. trial being shoved in our faces?
jezabelle
Pics of Anna Nicole and her son before he died. These are so sad...
http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheyd...356.html#cutid1
Not sure if these have already been posted or not.
ratgrl
Wow...those pictures are sad, considering that he would die not long after they were taken. I'm really wondering what will prove to be the cause of his death. unsure.gif
wombat
OOOh, sounds like Poodle has seen the PBS special!!

I found that frustrating for a number of reasons. For one thing, they never (at least in the interminable wanks, um jams, um songs that I saw) identified the rest of the players, and I couldnt tell whether the guy with the hair in his face was Page. Also, who are the other ones.

I appreciate Plant for trying to create a magical atmosphere. And for sticking with it. And he did do some old ones. And I thought he had a good point that he was not just totally doing a cabaret act like SOME people *cough* rod stewart *cough* but he seems to have forgotten his Honeydrippers tripe.

Also, at certain points he started making with the lecherous stuff and then stopping short realizing it was creepy. He needs a vocalist for some of that stuff, at least to harmonize if he has lost the lungs for it.

I want to be loyal but have to admit it was not a really good performance.
pinkpoodle
No, I didn't see the PBS special, and I'm scared too, now! Just the thought of those lemons still hanging on for dear life after years of denim abuse....eeeeewwww...

ETA- I'm glad he got to see the new baby.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.