Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Celebrity Gossip!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83
anoushh
It reminds me of potential clients we had where I used to work who wanted to magically address their eating problems, but not look at why they had them in the first place--underlying problems, etc.

It may be possible to do that, but it's not what we did, and I sure as hell don't know how. Anorexia isn't just about eating (or not eating.) That's almost the least of it, except for the fact that the not eating can kill you.

(Mental health coverage in this country is worse than a joke--the job I'm talking about was in the UK, where it was an NHS service--and a damn good one.)

I too wish they wouldn't act ashamed, but denial is also a pretty significant part of anorexia. People will be skeletal, have huge, huge anxieties and difficulties eating, and insist they aren't anorexic because it's not that they want to be thin....
It's not just about being thin. It's about having a sense of control, and if that's how you know how to feel in control, it's hard to give up. But her "people" aren't helping by essentially enabling her denials.
pinkpoodle
I, too, am glad that NR is going into treatment, because I gag everytime I see pictures of her. Of course, I would probably gag even if she was a healthy weight.
ohmaude
Rumor has it, the globe (via salon) is reporting that Brad P. and Angelina J. are planning on adopting another girl child, this time from India. The name rumored to be given to the newest urchin of their flock? Wait for it..........India!! That poor thing.
taloo_magoo
ohmaude, the kid would be representin', yo.

I had a big ranty post all written up, but then I thought better and deleted. All I'm gonna say is this. Poodle this is to you, and you know I love you. The gagging comment is so offensive.

I used to look like that.

I was well aware of how icky it looks, as I am sure that most anorexics are too, in the back of their mind. I dunno, reading that made me feel uber shitty. Yes, I realize it was an off the cuff comment, but still.

mouse
i think what poodle was intending was to say that she'd gag when she looks at nicole richie because she is nicole richie. like saying we gag when looking at paris hilton--spoiled, rich, and famous only for being famous.

i guess it's good that brad and angelina are at least giving a few children who need parents a home, but i'd feel a lot more supportive if they picked ugly kids too, or kids with special needs. that rumour (i don't know if it was ever confirmed?) that they paid off zahara's mother--literally buying an infant who already had a family (over the tens of millions who don't).....
ohmaude
Mouse, couldn't agree more. I didn't hear about the paying off Zahara's mom, that's unsettling. taloo-you crack me up, the kid would be representing, BUT would she know what she was representing?

I'm not knocking adoption of needy kids..but the "it's a small-world-after-all" collection aspect of this kinda creeps me out. Also, the idea that rich/famous american parents can by default create the best environment for a kid.

auralpoison
I realize the socio-political-media-celebrity priorities aren't quite the same, but looking back over history, Brad & Angelina certainly weren't the first to do the international family thing. Look @ Mia Farrow & her expanded brood. She'd been a big champion/activist for adoption since the seventies. Josephine Baker & her Rainbow Tribe before that. Admittedly, her trip was more about integration & racial injustice. With Brangelina, yeah, it feels like a designer family thing & less than a humanitarian thing.
pinkpoodle
Again, my choice of wording sucks! Sorry, taloo. As you can tell, I'm not intimately familiar with the eating disorder thing other than what people have told me. What I mean is that NR is nasty regardless of how she looks. I find her current appearance to be very scary though. "Gag" probably wasn't the best choice in that sentence.
anna k
auralpoison, when I was a kid I had a fantasy of being a mother to poor children around the world, adopting them and giving them a safe home from poverty and starvation and disease. And I hadn't heard of Mia Farrow or Josephine Baker.

Josephine did her Rainbow Tribe but went broke trying to support them and nearly went bankrupt until Princess Grace gave them a home. Some of Mia's children have been disabled (blind orphans, a girl without the use of her arms), and I think Mia is altruistic, but a bit of a crazy cat lady to be taking in so many kids and trying to save them all.
taloo_magoo
Poods, it's alright. I think some kind of bug crawled up my bum yesterday.
Sorry for being snapish.
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(maddy29 @ Oct 27 2006, 05:09 PM) *

i read that it's meth, and that her stylist, who is a stylist to a lot of starlets, supplies them all with meth to stay skinny. at least, that's what the gossip sites i go to (lame, i know)

mouse sad.gif about your friend.. that is so scary and awful. I had a sorta friend in high school who was so skeletonly thin, and was freezing cold all the time, grew the extra hair on her arms. IT was so sad. She'd always cook food but never eat it. I can't imagine dealing with that in a best friend for so long.

If you have ever seen a meth head, you would know NR is NOT one.
ratgrl
GGG, I'm with you; whatever the cause of Nicole Richie's weight loss, it's probably not crystal meth. Possibly coke or heroin (she does, after all, have a history of substance abuse), but the most likely reason is anorexia, IMO. As has already been pointed out here, anorexics are generally in denial about the fact that they have an eating disorder, so it makes sense that EVEN AS SHE'S GOING INTO REHAB FOR IT, she and her flak continue to insist that she "just has trouble gaining weight" or some other B.S. explanation along those lines. Maybe if/when she's better, she'll admit that she was, indeed, anorexic.

This whole thing hits home with me so much, 'cause I've been there. When I became anorexic as a teenager, I didn't get quite as thin as N.R., nor did I stay severely underweight for nearly as long as she has (to be honest, I'm sometimes surprised that she's still alive when I see recent photos of her). BUT, during my entire anorexic period, I refused to admit--even to myself--that I had anorexia. It wasn't until I had gained back my weight (I had dieted down to being about 20-30 pounds below normal) that I could really acknowledge that, yeah, I'd been anorexic. But while I was actually deep into the whole thing--never. And this was despite the fact that almost everyone around me saw my condition for what it was.

Anyway, she's a rich celeb that I don't know personally and don't really care about (I, too, am annoyed by people who have celebrity status only because of who their parents are). But this situation is just sad, IMO, esp. because it's gone on for so long. I hope she can get better and maybe--just maybe--become a productive member of society.
girlygirlgag
Before NR was on the Simple Life, nobody knew who she was. She is famous for being a reality TV show star, not for being Lionel's daughter.
ratgrl
Right--I certainly had never heard of her until she was on The Simple Life. And, at least during the first season, she was even introduced by the announcer at the beginning of each episode as "Nicole Richie--Lionel Richie's daughter!" Really, though, I always thought she was riding on the coattails of her then-BFF Paris Hilton, who is the epitome of someone who is truly "famous only for being famous." They're both totally publicity whores, IMO, and I admit to contributing to that by reading the weekly celebrity rags, but I still find it annoying that people can get so much adulation and money thrown their way without ever having actually accomplished anything.

Since Kate Moss has been discussed in here recently, I'll even cite her as an example of someone who's at least "worked" for her money--to the extent that posing for a camera is work, that is. tongue.gif I'm no fan of hers, but one could argue that she at least earned her millions. Paris and Nicole, on the other hand, were born into all their $$$ and are celebrities simply as a direct result of that--an accident of birth, if you will. Yet they're given as much press--if not more--as movie and TV stars that, while grossly overpaid, at least get up in the morning and go to work and actually produce something that we get to see on the big/small screen a few months later. These girls do nothing (except for The Simple Life, which doesn't count as far as I'm concerned) and yet get tons of press coverage. Shit, a few months ago, Nicole Richie was on the COVER of Vanity Fair! And the accompanying article was full of pictures of her modeling various clothes, with a relatively small portion devoted to the actual interview with her, which was mostly about--guess what?--her weight. So incredibly stupid.
pinkpoodle
Yeah, I'm sure she's been in denial about this whole weight thing. I would guess that a lot of her insecurity with her body image has to do with being "that girl who hangs out with Paris Hilton." Paris Hilton was thinner, taller, blonder, and more famous than NR, and that probably has something to do with it. She's actually thinner than Paris Hilton now, and the sad thing is that she receives more press than she did before she was skeletal. What really pisses me off is how she is shown in all of these fashion articles and so on. The message is basically "Nicole Ritchie is wearing this designer outfit and you should strive to look like her." Not cool.

I'm sure that if Kate Moss and Paris Hilton were at normal weights, then they'd still be pretty thin. Nicole doesn't have a thin, lanky frame and she's not supposed to look that way. Same goes for Rose McGowan, Christina Ricci, Lindsey Lohan, etc. The famous ladies of yesteryear were pretty thin, but at least they fit into their body shapes. Jane Russell was tall, leggy, and had broader shoulders and a big bust. Audrey Hepburn was petite and thin naturally. There wasn't the same obsession with fitting into a specific, largely unattainable body type. I wish hollywood peeps would just chill out and embrace their natural figures. The pressure is unbelievable. If a female celebrity gains ten pounds, then she's instantly labeled as "fat" and becomes comedic material, even if she's a normal weight. I suppose I'm preaching to the choir here, but still, it never ceases to amaze me.

Meth makes people look totally fucked up if they use it a lot. At this point, NR would have marks all over her body and rotten teeth.
sybarite
Apparently David Beckham has been signed to Galaxy, the Los Angeles football team, which means he and Victoria will be that much closer to Tom and 'Kate'.
ratgrl
Sybarite: I have one word to express that turn of events--BLECCCH! I can't stand any of them. I'd have been much happier if TomKat had moved across the pond, instead. That way there'd be at least somewhat less press coverage of them here.
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(anoushh @ Oct 26 2006, 04:16 PM) *

GGG, I think telling chacha to "settle down" is bit condescending. Doesn't matter if you agree or not with the point she's making.

That's ironic, considering she is quite condescending when one does not agree with her and quick to vilify those who do not agree with her.
chachaheels
QUOTE(anoushh @ Oct 26 2006, 04:16 PM) *

GGG, I think telling chacha to "settle down" is bit condescending. Doesn't matter if you agree or not with the point she's making.

That's ironic, considering she is quite condescending when one does not agree with her and quick to vilify those who do not agree with her.

Well. That's a timely comeback.

So is it your opinion, then, GGG, that if I'm an ass, you're granted license to be an ass to everyone as well?

If I truly am at fault, you might want to avoid calling me out for behaviour you're happy to adopt as your own. As that tends to make others think of an alarmingly ironic yet perfectly fitting label for you.
dusty
I was listening to the Wings' greatest hits on Saturday (Mr. Dusty wanted to hear Jet). Ummm, Paul does seem to have more than his fair share of completely inane songs, doesn't he?
taloo_magoo
Especially that "I looooove yooooou." song. I heard it other day. Craptastic.
falljackets
GACK! EARWORM!!

that's what i get for lurking in here

*skips away singing*
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(chachaheels @ Oct 19 2006, 08:26 PM) *

And I don't know of many cases where women who have abusive husbands or partners call the police and actually have their abusive mates locked up in prison. if it happens at all, the abusers stay in the clank overnight, and come back to kill their wives, or at least knock them around some more. As a feminist, Greenbean, are you not aware of how this usually goes?

Considering this is pretty apropos Cha Cha behavior, if you can dish it out, be prepared to have it dished back.
Plus, most of your arguments were based on a quite blatant distaste for PM , but love for John Lennon, which has nothing to do with present day divorce allegations.

chachaheels
QUOTE(girlygirlgag @ Oct 30 2006, 02:58 PM) *

Considering this is pretty apropos Cha Cha behavior, if you can dish it out, be prepared to have it dished back.
Plus, most of your arguments were based on a quite blatant distaste for PM , but love for John Lennon, which has nothing to do with present day divorce allegations.

You make a lot of assumptions about me that reveal a lot more about your biases than mine.

As for what was "apropos ChaCha [sic] ", I was stating a statistical reality to make a point...at least in my country, which isn't that different from yours, GGG. There was nothing "condescending" or "vilifying" in that statement at all. If you mean I cite statistical realities many feminists have made known when I make a point, well I can only consider that a compliment. At least I don't try to make points on irrelevant assumptions, such as "she must hate PM and love John Lennon, which has nothing to do with divorce allegations "...

It's clear you simply don't like me, GGG, and you're entitled to that opinion about me by all means.
You're not entitled, however, to pass judgments and hurl insults on me based on your dislike-fueled but inane assumptions. If you insist on doing so anyway, well, then, people (me included) will call you on it. So maybe you should be prepared to "take it when it's shovelled back" at you, huh?
taloo_magoo
cha cha and ggg, maybe you should take this to pm.
chachaheels
No need. I'm done on that entire topic.
jemisoutrageous
Frankly, ChaCha, I was begining to wonder how much longer you would be able to hold out with stirring up shit in the innapropriate forum of fucking Celebrity Gossip.

I like you, really I do, you are smart and funny and have great insight and are very educated but you're such a pontificating bossy boots sometimes.

In other news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061030/ap_en_...spoon_phillippe
pollystyrene
Reese and Ryan separated
mirabella
Ahhh...the curse of the female Oscar winners strikes again...
bunnyb
Noooooo, that makes me so sad sad.gif. They seemed happy and adjusted. What is it with actor couples where the male gets his panties in a twist when his wife is given a gold statue, industry acclaim (and presumably more money)? Makes me worry for the next female actor Oscar winner too. I've always maintained it's a curse; the curse of insecure men.
faerietails
I'm really devastated by that. Maybe not as much as Hilary and Chad, but still...I've been in denial these past few years with all those rumors.
katiebelle2882
frankly, i am not surprised at reese and ryan, just like with nick and jessica. in fact, i actually am glad when people who got married WAY too young and have kids way to young get divorced bc it shows the younger generation that it is not the best way to go and marriage often takes more work then a 21 year old is willing to put into it (for good reason).

they made it for long time those two i am actually surprised. i am sorry for their kids cause its not their fault.

i think they seemed happy and adjusted mostly bc they sztayed out of the spotlight, so maybe the paparazzi didnt get as good a glimpse as to what was going on with their life together.
chachaheels
I thought Oscar Envy might have been the reason for Ryan and Reese's break-up, but it could be because they're like everyone else who marries so young. People naturally grow and change when they get into their 30's...it's hard for anyone to have the same goals as their partner and stay together. It happens a lot, even if there are children involved; people really tend to "come into their own" in their early 30's and suddenly they want different things.
For many people, the marriage just ends because both people have just "outgrown" it and want to pursue other interests which couldn't be contained in the marriage.

To Ryan's credit, though, he has been trying to limit his role selection to movies with better casts, better scripts, better directors.
roseviolet
Actually, they did not get married as teenagers. She is 30. He is 32. They married 7 years ago, so they were both in their mid 20s when they married. It sounds a bit ridiculous to say that a 23 or 25 year old person is "WAY" too young to marry. It's not like they were 17 or something.

I heard that they got into an argument at the premiere for his new movie. He was accusing her of embarassing him(?). I wouldn't be surprised if he felt insecure & overshadowed by her presence even at his own movie's premiere. I have a feeling that he's tired of being known as Reese Witherspoon's husband. It isn't her fault, though. She's just been more successful so far. At any rate, it's still very sad since there are kids involved.
bunnyb
I heart roseviolet wub.gif. It pisses me off when people say I'm too young to marry (not that we're planning to for a while) especially when they married younger than us (and are happily so).
katiebelle2882
it was more that they got married bc she was pregnant. most of the time, not a good way to start a relationship off, esp when you are 23.

i dont know, i think people change alot much through their 20's, and if you are planning on being together forever, what the hell is the rush? in this case, it was bc she was pregnant, which i understand. either way, it doesnt surprise me that they broke up having started off that way.
chachaheels
I didn't think anyone thought of Ryan Phillipe as Reese Witherspoon's husband. He's been working just as often as she's been, and he's quite an accomplished actor, very capable. I think the fact that he's been given so many decent roles attests to that. If he feels insecure, that's really kind of sad.

I shudder when I think of what might have happened if I'd married the men I was seeing when I was in my early 20's. I was such a completely different person then, and so many of them would have been just wrong for me.
anna k
I don't think he's that good of an actor, but has made good choices by sticking to smaller roles in artistic, critically-acclaimed-type movies.

7 years is pretty good for a relationship that long. They met around 1998, and could've changed plenty by then.
roseviolet
I was just trying to clear up the age issue. When I read some of the posts, it seemed that maybe some of you thought that they were teenagers when they met and married (perhaps because they were playing teenagers in movies at the time).

Career-wise, I kinda see Ryan Phillipe as being in the same situation as Nicole Kidman when she was with Tom Cruise. He has an acting career of his own - one that some of my friends in LA would certainly envy! But it hasn't been as successful as his wife's. Afterall, there are a ton of people out there who will see a movie just because Reese is in it (my mother is one of those people), but Ryan doesn't have as strong of a following (and certainly doesn't get paid as much per picture). I wonder if, like Nicole, Ryan's career will skyrocket after the marriage is over & he'll start to get more recognition for his work.
girlygirlgag
They met at her 21st birthday party.
chachaheels
I was under the impression that teenagers were never cast as teenagers in actual films! Except for a few aging childstar exceptions (but it seems to me that in that case, they cast those teens as early 20's "young adults").

I thought Nicole Kidman's pre-Tom roles were in some good movies, with some pretty good directors and scripts (Dead Calm, Flirting). She got stuck with some serious garbage films only after she married him. Since the divorce she's getting much better offers...but she's just about everywhere now and I would like a nice long break from seeing her around.
katiebelle2882
i knew they met at her 21st bday party and before i knew it she was pregnant and they were getting married. i knew it wouldnt last from the word go with a start like that. i am not sure if it has so much to do with jealousy as it does the fact that he realized he wasnt ready for that kinda life just yet.
jemisoutrageous
I'm surprized they lasted as long as they did, frankly. I think they held out as long as they did becasue they didn't want to be the next H'Wood couple that couldn't make it. It's sad, really.
girlygirlgag
I know people who have either married or stayed for a child, and they never lasted close to seven years (nine including dating), I think it is because they were so young.

Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall were the only real teenagers in the Breakfast Club. They also dated during filming.
katiebelle2882
well apparently he was cheating as well. so says perezhilton anyway. doesnt really shock me. she also (while very talented) seemed very crazy A-type personality which, unless the mate is the same, can be very draining on someone who is a little more laidback, esp when they are young.
lunasol
I remember thinking there was trouble at the Oscars when Reese got up to get her reward and Joaquin Phoenix looked more excited and proud than Ryan did. Of course, different people have ifferent ways of expressing things, but Jaoquin was practically in tears and Ryan looked really bored. I remember thinking that was so sad.

Maybe Reese and Joaquin will get together now! Like in the movie! Sqeee! ::goes into 13-year-old fangirl mode:: rolleyes.gif

As for Ryan being known as Reese's husband, the gossip blogs have been particularly ruthless on this front, mocking the uneven nature of their fame. and predicting the demise of their relationship.

ETA: The really sad thing about this is that it feeds into the idea that a woman can't be simultaneously successful and "keep her man."
quixoticlady
I must say that I love Reese Witherspoon, and feel sad about this new development...I regard her as very smart, down-to-earth, and modest--I feel the same way about her as I do about Sarah Jessica Parker. I think they're both classy women who truly work(ed) at their relationship and at creating families, in the midst of fame and crazy work schedules...
I also admired RW for being so open about the fact that she and RP went to counseling together. I saw it as a very mature, honest way to handle a relationship, and felt that they both wanted to put effort into their marriage to make it work as best it could.
I truly hope RP wasn't cheating on RW, but who knows.
pinkpoodle
I, too, like Reese Witherspoon. Putting the age issue aside, she has probably realized her full potential as an actress and has become way more invested in it. When she got married, she was still doing movies like Legally Blonde, and didn't realize that she could actually do some serious stuff. The last couple years have definitely been a turning point for her and I'm sure that it has affected her "vision" for the long term. It also takes a lot of hard work and time to reach that point, which probably put some stress on her family life. I'm sure that there's also some resentment on Ryan's part, and it probably bothers her that he doesn't share the same enthusiasm for her career that she and her peers feel. It's the same old story.

I think this is different than the Jessica/Nick divorce, because Reese/Ryan aren't complete camera whores. Well over half of Jessica's career relies upon cameras and celebrity gossip. It's probably the same for Nick. For those two, the divorce actually benefits their careers, because they need that shit to keep them famous (considering that they don't have a whole lot of talent).

Diane Sawyer interviewed Courtney Love this morning on Good Morning America. Apparently Courtney love wrote an autobiography titled "Dirty Blonde." Courtney still sounds fucked up, but she was actually pretty mild-mannered. They talked about Francis Bean a lot, which was super interesting, because apparently Francis (who is 14 now) was most embarrassed that her mother was "fat" over the last few years. Isn't that sad? Courtney said that Francis googled herself and, afterwards, she threw out the entire contents of their fridge. Sad, sad, sad. Anyway, it was good to see Courtney Love in a semi-sane state (she's still pretty weird though). Hopefully she'll keep it up.
taloo_magoo
Courtney's book isn't really an auto biography per se. It's a bunch of letters, journal entries, and pics.

Here is the gma interview
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/
she also did an inteview on NY public radio, I will try and find the link if anyone is interested.
pollystyrene
That was a disturbing interview. WTF was with the shoulder-padded, bow at the neck, '80's stewardess shirt? Not that that's the only disturbing part, of course. ((Sigh))
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.