Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Celebrity Gossip!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83
bustygirl
If I remember correctly, there was an even larger whitewash when Nixon died than Reagan. I was amazed at the amount of re-interpretation his presidency was given post-demise. I might not have been alive for Nixon's, but what I've studied about it made the revision all that more interesting.

I think you're right, Roseviolet. What we're witnessing is mostly simple human nature. Leonard Pitts made the best synopsis of the wake of MJ's death I've ever seen. I'll try to dig it up and post some of it here. He had a much better sum-up than I did, which is not surprising considering he's a brilliant columnist and I'm just a forum poster. wink.gif
kittenb
Do any of you ever listen to "Wait Wait ... Don't Tell Me" on NPR? Paula Poundstone said something on the show this weekend that reminded me of this conversation. She commented on how people have been avoiding Michael Jackson for years because of the allegations of abuse and his increasingly strange behavior. You rarely even heard his music on the radio anymore - even on '8os stations - because he'd become such a controversial figure. Then he dies and suddenly there's this HUGE outpouring of love for the man. What's that about?

I missed the show (will iPod soon) but it doesn't sound like she was chest-pounding so much as stating something that a few people were wondering. I was also suprised to see this many people react to the death.
bustygirl
I'm not a regular listener to NPR, so I can't comment for certain on Paula's synopsis. It is an ironic spokeperson for NPR to have on this matter considering the similar accusations levelled at her head. Or maybe that's the point. NPR is tricky that way.

I wasn't surprised at the reaction to his death, because Michael Jackson was one of the last superstars, however deeply flawed, that the past 30 years has had to offer. I can't think of another offhand--Madonna, perhaps? Prince? Bono?

Kurt Cobain engendered similarly obsessive love by his fans in his short troubled time, Michael had 20, 30 years on him. Kurt had many personal problems, and where they pertained to his inability to parent his young daughter I've never understood the public's tendency to gloss them over. But perhaps that's the nature of fandom--the inability to see the feet of clay under your idol. The greater the fame, the bigger the target; but likewise the larger the crime your followers will forgive you for. It's a double-edged sword, one I hope never to be under.

Infamy is far better. wink.gif
kittenb
Another thing about the Paula Poundstone case, she plead guilty and was convicted of child endangerment, the molestation charges were dropped. SHe has admitted to being a (now recovering) alcoholic and was arrested driving her kids to a Baskin-Robins. She did regain custody of her adopted children after she went through alcohol rehab.
The show Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me is a humourous news quiz, not really a news show. The panelists are there for entertainment, not reporting or factually accurate editiorials. It's a mostly improvised comedy.
girltrouble
chest beating was probably the wrong way of putting it. if anyone is doing chest thumping i suppose it is me, and i apologize for that.

all the same, if OJ can be used as a "close enough" anology" to MJ, which really isn't close at all, then paula poundstone's case with it's pleading down of charges, is much closer to the mark. my point was, that i am sure that when paula passes, she would wish that people saw her better side. make no mistake, i like paula poundstone quite a bit, and i remember reading her talking about her case, and she seemed extremely contrite, but the point is, there is not the same sort of animosity for her case as there was/is in the MJ cases. there is not the same sort of assumption of guilt, as there is with MJ. infact, looking at your, post kitten you seem to give her the benefit of the doubt. i think most people would be inclined to give a woman the same treatment. a man or a black man would elicit different responses. there are things that divulge not just our assumptions, but our culture's. this is the point i was trying to make earlier, and perhaps ham handedly. we hear these things, regurgitate them and never stop to look at them, examine them closely. it doesn't make one racist, but it does restate and reinforce cultural and personal prejudices. that does not make one evil either, but rather, ignorant of the larger, deeper meaning. certainly not a crime. but it is hard for those who are not effected by those cultural norms to see them as defective, because they present themselves as invisible.

i was talking about culture to a friend about race and culture, and they said that i was lucky to have a "culture" some point of pride, some cultural "roots" that i could look back, and draw on. i looked at him as if he was crazy. i said he's completely got a culture-- a white culture-- the problem wasn'tt that it didn't exist, but rather it presents itself as the norm, the default, the zero setting, and all other cultures as alien, or other. he-- and most other americans swim in this milk, this culture, and never see it because it is all they know. it's like asking a fish what it's like not being in the water. they wouldn't really know there was anything different. which is why these things have to be pointed out by someone who is not a part of that milk/water/culture-- they can see it very clearly, where others can't.

the OJ justification is a case in point. i've even used it. but something about it didn't ring true. it was when i looked at it closer that i saw the fractures in it, and eventually it's prejudiced undergirding.

bustygirl
See, when we listen to NPR it's mostly my husband's obsessive love of science shows. I never get to hear funny. smile.gif

...but if you ever need to know ANYTHING about dinosaurs, space exploration, or giant robot manufacture, I'm your girl.
girltrouble
we now return you to your gossip thread, already in progress...

/derail
annabananahannahmontana
does anybody here know anything about a rocky horror remake? i am both appalled and interested in the idea at the same time. i don't know if i should post this in the reel life thread or not.
bustygirl
Please tell me you're kidding.
candycane_girl
Oh my god. I just googled "rocky horror remake" and found that apparently MTV wants to do a remake specially for television. It would follow the same script but might have new songs. It's in the very early stages and no casting or directing decisions have been made yet.

Ugh.

ETA: link
bustygirl
Two things immediately wrong with this: "MTV" and "new songs". NEW SONGS? NEW SONGS?!! *sits down, fans self.*
girltrouble
i guess that's the green light to gouge my eyes out.

thanks candy!
culturehandy
The Globe and Mail is reporting that Jackie Chan is going to star in a Karate Kid remake...
candycane_girl
omfg, the whole world is going to hell!
auralpoison
They're already shooting that Karate Kid remake, I just saw pics of Will Smith & his son on set in China. And yes, Jackie Chan is playing "Mr. Han".
annabananahannahmontana
sad and disturbing

say it ain't so
morgan freeman
auralpoison
Y'know, Morgan Freeman's kinda been a dog for years. When he got into that car wreck about a year ago, he was with one of his "lady friends". I recall a Tennessee Bustie basically saying that it was common knowledge down there that he was pretty much married to his second wife Myrna-Lee Colley in name only. They've been separated for quite some time now. His people categorically deny the story about him marrying his step-granddaughter.
girltrouble
lots of actors are like that no matter what their on screen persona is. they are treated like rockstars, and it goes to their head. years ago edward james olmos came to town for a film, and wooof, man, the city was awash in stories about how he was humping -- or trying to hump -- anything that moved.
annabananahannahmontana
i just thought that generally morgan freeman seemed like a sweet guy, not a step-granddaughter banging woody allen like perv.

hellotampon
So basically a teenage girl stole her grandma's man. How weird.
annabananahannahmontana
that's what i'm saying
roseviolet
I read that the story about Morgan Freeman is untrue. His publicist released a statement calling it "complete garbage".
http://dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/11326...p-granddaughter
The story was originally reported in the National Enquirer - not exactly a reliable source. So I wouldn't put much stock in it. Notice that the more "respectable" gossip rags are completely ignoring this story. If there were truth to it, I think it would be splashed all over.

By the way, that woman who was in the car crash with Morgan Freeman filed a federal lawsuit against him - not just because of her injuries, but because she says that she was definitely NOT having an affair with him, was NOT the cause of his marriage breaking up, and that she was angry that he never made a statement stating such. As a result, she had been hounded by the tabloid press.
auralpoison
QUOTE(roseviolet @ Jul 17 2009, 07:50 AM) *
I read that the story about Morgan Freeman is untrue. His publicist released a statement calling it "complete garbage".
http://dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/11326...p-granddaughter
The story was originally reported in the National Enquirer - not exactly a reliable source. So I wouldn't put much stock in it. Notice that the more "respectable" gossip rags are completely ignoring this story. If there were truth to it, I think it would be splashed all over.

By the way, that woman who was in the car crash with Morgan Freeman filed a federal lawsuit against him - not just because of her injuries, but because she says that she was definitely NOT having an affair with him, was NOT the cause of his marriage breaking up, and that she was angry that he never made a statement stating such. As a result, she had been hounded by the tabloid press.

Well, I did say his people denied it. Nobody listened. As far as a fed suit goes, I know nothing.

Oh, & Mischa Barton got picked up on a 5150 (Involuntary psychiatric hold), which is basically for folks that may harm themselves or others, disabled, or suffering from a mental disorder. Same thing they hauled Britney away for after her head-shaving, losing it thing.
bustygirl
Miss Barton always seems like she's on something to me. Something that causes her to lose her personality and talent.

George Clooney was in my town this year. Supposedly a stripper my friend knows gave him a blowjob, but you know how these stories are.
culturehandy
Why would it be Morgan freeman's fault that she was hounded by the paparazzi? Shouldn't she be going after the paparazzi themselves?
roseviolet
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Jul 17 2009, 10:14 AM) *
Why would it be Morgan freeman's fault that she was hounded by the paparazzi? Shouldn't she be going after the paparazzi themselves?

I know what you mean! It's not as if they'd leave her alone just because he said something publicly. It probably just would have thrown more fuel on the fire. But then again, I've never been hounded by the paps, so what do I know!
Jezebel
Going back a couple of topics, that MTV Rocky Horror remake sounds like the worst idea ever. Who are they going to get to star, Spencer and Heidi? rolleyes.gif
auralpoison
Y'know, I used to feel sorry for Jon Gosselin. Kate seemed like such a harpie. But now I am beginning to think she was just exasperated by his utter douchebaggery & that she treated him like shit because he was shit. He's three years younger than me, but seems to be going through his mid-life crisis now. I realize eight kids can age you, but dude? Diamond studs? All of that FREE Ed Hardy schwag? I mean, I hear he's going into kiddie EH fashion design (I thought he was in IT, but whatevs.), but, um . . . EH is the not-so-new Von Dutch & sucks even harder. I'd rather dress my kids like the Amish than have them sporting Ed Hardy.
auralpoison
Wow. So I guess the Beastie Boys will NOT be playing Lollapalooza this year & they are pushing the back the date of their new release. Adam "MCA" Yauch has cancer of the salivary gland & lymph node. It sounds as though his prognosis is good & that he's having surgery next week.

Yauch's Announcement.
pollystyrene
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Jul 20 2009, 11:00 AM) *
Wow. So I guess the Beastie Boys will NOT be playing Lollapalooza this year & they are pushing the back the date of their new release. Adam "MCA" Yauch has cancer of the salivary gland & lymph node. It sounds as though his prognosis is good & that he's having surgery next week.

Yauch's Announcement.

Y'know, those Beasties are always causing trouble. I was supposed to see them with Rage Against the Machine back in 2000 and Mike D broke his arm while riding a bike, and they canceled the tour. A few months later, RATM broke up mad.gif

That being said, glad it's probably treatable.
flanker_ji
Aww, that's a shame about MCA. It's really funny to see them gettin' all middle-aged, but with that spark of youth and excitement coming through. I don't follow them closely, so I've missed much of their aging process.

It's always seemed to me the Gosselins were equally culpable for the steaming pile that their lives are now.
lananans
Who knows what goes on behind the scenes with the Gosselins. On a gut level I'm inclined to side with Kate, but I think maybe that's just because she has really good PR people...
auralpoison
Some fool is suing Stephanie Meyer claiming that parts of one of the Twilight novels was cribbed from his novel The Nocturnes.
girltrouble
meh. there's nothing that could make me side with kate. perhaps i saw the wrong episodes, but she was being kind of a dick. she was brow beating him, and then predicted all this stuff he would say, and was wrong on all counts. she spends all her time jet setting around signing books. no, to me she seems like she's more interested in her 15 minutes of fame than her kids. but they both suck. they are no better than the parents of lindsey lohan, or any other sucky hollywood parent-leech, who uses their kids to live the high life no matter what happens to the kids. they have that whole little estate and all their money because they sold their kids.
auralpoison
BILLY MAYS WAS ON THE BLOW! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

"TMZ says the following drugs were detected in his system: Vicodin, Oxycodone, Xanax, Valium, benzoylecgonine (byproduct of cocaine) and temazepam (anti-anxiety). They also found booze."

Oh, & Bill & Sookie are getting married IRL.

And Penelope Cruz might be Javier Bardem's babymama.
auralpoison
Dang, yo. Maura Tierney hasn't beat the breast cancer yet. She's had to drop out of some crappy sounding NBC show for further treatment.
kittenb
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Sep 13 2009, 06:27 AM) *
Dang, yo. Maura Tierney hasn't beat the breast cancer yet. She's had to drop out of some crappy sounding NBC show for further treatment.

That sucks! In fact, I refuse to accept it. For her performance in NewRadio alone, I will always be her fan. Keep up the fight Maura! You are fantastic!
crazyoldcatlady
so ... anyone hear kanye' crashed taylor swift's acceptance speech? :-D

kanye's rant is going to be the biggest internet meme of all time!
lananans
I think it was all just a big publicity stunt. I really dislike Kanye West.
stargazer
Roman Polaski finally arrested for rape charges in 1978

One of the commenters from the Jezebel article asked if Pulanski didn't already serve his time. Um, no.
crazyoldcatlady
burn baby burn.

i feel bad for the survivor, though:

"Samantha Geimer filed court papers in January saying, 'I am no longer a 13-year-old child. I have dealt with the difficulties of being a victim, have surmounted and surpassed them with one exception.

'Every time this case is brought to the attention of the Court, great focus is made of me, my family, my mother and others. That attention is not pleasant to experience and is not worth maintaining over some irrelevant legal nicety, the continuation of the case.'

Geimer, now 45, married and a mother of three, sued Polanski and received an undisclosed settlement. She long ago came forward and made her identity public -- mainly, she said, because she was disturbed by how the criminal case had been handled.

Following Espinoza's ruling earlier this year, Geimer's lawyer, Larry Silver, said he was disappointed and that Espinoza 'did not get to the merits and consider the clear proof of both judicial and prosecutorial corruption.'"
SpiltSugar
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Aug 4 2009, 04:38 PM) *
Some fool is suing Stephanie Meyer claiming that parts of one of the Twilight novels was cribbed from his novel The Nocturnes.

You know, I heard there were a couple of people that were claiming part of the books, were taken from part of their stories, books, etc. Don't be mad because of someone else's success. Sheesh.
zoya
QUOTE(SpiltSugar @ Oct 18 2009, 06:56 AM) *
You know, I heard there were a couple of people that were claiming part of the books, were taken from part of their stories, books, etc. Don't be mad because of someone else's success. Sheesh.

yeah, except for the fact that Stephanie Meyer is a complete hack and I wouldn't be surprised if she took bits from other sources. Enough to claim plagiarism? I doubt it, but her stuff is so uncreatively derivative, I'm sure loads of people can see their stuff in hers.

.....opinionated much, zoya? smile.gif (although I just consider myself a voracious reader who thinks Twighlight SUCKS)
auralpoison
QUOTE(zoya @ Oct 18 2009, 11:58 AM) *
yeah, except for the fact that Stephanie Meyer is a complete hack and I wouldn't be surprised if she took bits from other sources. Enough to claim plagiarism? I doubt it, but her stuff is so uncreatively derivative, I'm sure loads of people can see their stuff in hers.

.....opinionated much, zoya? smile.gif (although I just consider myself a voracious reader who thinks Twighlight SUCKS)

Word. I was given a gift of a fang pendant to commemorate my deep-seated Twi-blight.
annabananahannahmontana
the whole vampire romance genre makes me ill. i like my vampires scary, not sparkly. and the whole vampire genre has pretty much been done to death, anyway that there really isn't much new ground there to break.
crazyoldcatlady
totally valid question: why didn't stephanie meyer address what happens in the human-vampire relationship when the girl is on the rag? tongue.gif
stargazer
Oh noes! I hope the Moz is ok. sad.gif
auralpoison
QUOTE(crazyoldcatlady @ Oct 19 2009, 04:20 AM) *
totally valid question: why didn't stephanie meyer address what happens in the human-vampire relationship when the girl is on the rag? tongue.gif

In Stephanie Meyer's world, mini rainbows come out a girl's ladycave when she's astride My Lil Cotton Pony. Just like glittery, sparkly seed shoots from cold teen vampire peen.
crazyoldcatlady
Just like glittery, sparkly seed shoots from cold teen vampire peen.

LOL!
Quote. of. the. day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.