Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bloody grrls
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Arcadia
I fucking hate my period.

My face looks like a WWI battlefield.

And it makes me want to not do anything.

Sometimes I swear I can't wait for menopause.
sassygrrl
Cramps fucking suck

kiss_the_fiddler
I'll start my period tomorrow or the next day, i can tell. I don't want my period to come. It means I'm not pregnant this cycle. I'll get the migraine tomorrow and then the cramps and the bloat. I'm dumpy.
kiss_the_fiddler
Oops. I got it wrong. Migrane starting tonight. I don't have time for this bullshit.
lux
starting on hormonal BC when i get my next period! though i think stuffing yourself with extra hormones is probably not a good idea, i'm really happy i finally got a gyno to actually believe me. i just seem to have difficult time convincing them that having long, painful periods with 2 weeks of PMTing , is not the way anyone wants to live. the best part (that is, if i don't get even worse mood swings than i already have:)) is that i wont bleed more than 4 times a year. if this works, i'll be even more for modern medicine!

had to write my happy news somewhere. we'll see how this goes, in a couple of weeks.
LoveMyPugs
So today is day five of my period. Last day and really I’m just spotting. I had terrible cramps yesterday. Terrible cramps on day four of my period? I hate that. I was taking Advil around the clock day one and two when they are usually bad and then they sneak up on me on day four. I was going to ask if anyone had any cramp relieving remedies but it seems I’m already doing what everyone else does. Advil, rest and heating pad. Sometimes they are monstrous. They are sooo painful. Getting into a hot shower always makes me feel better. Does anyone know if clotting makes your cramps worse? I tend to clot a lot and when I am it seems that my cramps are worse. I should ask the doctor about that.

I track my cycle on www.mymonthlycycles.com. It’s really put me in touch with my period. It can predict when my next period is coming based off prior periods I’ve recorded. I’ve been keeping track of it now for six months. My whole cycle is almost always 31 days exactly. I’ve got my sister using it now too.

Also, I usually use tampons. I think using them makes my cramps worse too. I bought a diva cup and I hate the thing. I can’t get it to not leak. I’m average to heavy flow I guess. Days two and three are usually my heaviest. I also tried the instead cups. They felt huge and wouldn’t slip behind the pubic bone like the instructions said. I can’t imagine using them during sex. I’m thinking of trying Luna pads. Everyone says they are nice and soft and disposable pads are rough on my delicate skin. I don’t mind soaking them. I have a separate bathroom so Mr. Pug won’t have to see a bucket of bloody water once a month. They are kind of expensive though. I wish I could sew so I could make my own. Maybe I’ll talk to Mr. Pug’s mom about showing me how to use the sewing machine so I can make my own.

I try to stay away from caffeine during my period. I find it makes me more moody. I take Vitamin E for my sore boobies and B6 for my mood. I know chocolate has a lot of caffeine but I still eat it. I need something to help me get through it.

I like my period. It makes me feel womanly. I don’t like the cramps. They suck.

Well, have a great day and hope any of you on your period today are managing.
kiss_the_fiddler
It's interesting to track your cycle online, isn't it? I keep track of mine on www.fertilityfriend.com I have a longer cycle 35-38 days. I'm trying to get pregnant so I pay attention to basal body temp and cervical mucus. It's fun to track but frustrating that I'm not getting pregnant.
phobia
FINALLY!

In the same boat as artstar and skinwithoutscars -- knew it was "supposed" to be happenin soon, but it just. Wouldn't. Come. The poor, sore boobies. I really have to get on hormonal BC or something. Two weeks of heinous PMS just isn't doing it for me, or for anyone who has to be around me! You KNOW it's bad when you're hoping for cramps!

Since we're offering what helps us, I'll throw in that soy seems to settle my tummy down the first few days.

Also, I heart my Instead cups. The first day I do need "secondary containment" as we say in the environmental biz, but after that, I can go 8-12 hours with no leakage or anything. It's fabulous. Also, I usually re-use mine, even though they say you "shouldn't," I just wash with soap and water. I use maybe one per period. Which is great, because I feel like I'm cutting down on landfill waste.
kiss_the_fiddler
I'm getting close to the end of my period. My guts are so pissed. Gees, the uterine cramps set off gut cramps that make me double over. What a joy.

I use instead cups sometimes. Depending on the position of my cervix, sometimes they hurt and i can't use them. sometimes the work well. i use them when i inseminate to keep the swimmers up close to my cervix. the cup keeps them from dripping out.

Lesbajew
I'm thinking of switching to cloth pads and alternative period based things. I was wondering if anyone uses them, and if someone could answer a few questions.

-Where can I can find the cheapest good quality cloth pads, sponge tampons, and so forth online? All I've done is follow the the ads, and currently Luna pads seems the cheapest, but I was wondering if there was anywhere cheaper? And is their stuff good quality?

-I also have no idea what makes a "heavy" flow, as I don't exactly compare my flow with others. I'm guessing I have a heavy flow for the first two days or so, after which it suddenly slows down in about a day, and I have a trickle for two days or so. What would be the best things to buy for this type of period?

Thank you for your time!
LoveMyPugs
lesbajew -

I am currently leaning towards the cloth pads as well. Someone in this thread suggested tlc pads. I went to their website and sent the seamstress an email. She hasn't gotten back to me yet and it's been almost a week. I'm thinking of going with luna pads as well. I've never used them so I'm thinking of buying just a few and trying them during a cycle. I'm not sure if they are the "cheapest" or not. I just want good quality and am willing to pay for them. I'm kinda waiting on tlc first before I order from luna. Good luck and let me know if you find a better brand.

Thanks,

Pugs

phobia
"Depending on the position of my cervix, sometimes they hurt and i can't use them. "

I've noticed that if I try to pop one in before maybe the day before my period, they just won't go in right. Other than that, I really really love them. I love being able to have "insurance," since my period NEVER comes at the same time. Plus I work outside a lot, so not having to find some way to change a tampon once an hour (really!) helps. The first day, if I know I won't be around a somewhat private bathroom, I'll just double up -- Instead plus pad for the day. No worries at all. I also like the fact that even if they do slip out, you can poke em back in, which you totally cannot do with tampons. Having said that, they can be messy during heavy flow, and I try to change mine in the shower.

I've never ordered from Lunapads, but I did order a catalog, and the person on the phone was really really nice.
pollystyrene
I've been using Lunapads for awhile and I can attest that they are super comfy and well made. I can't really answer the "flow issue" though. I'm on the pill and my flow's gotten progressively lighter, so it hasn't been much of an issue for me. But I get the feeling their customer service people are very helpful and have probably been asked just about every question you can imagine.
LoveMyPugs
I just ordered the deluxe kit of lunapads yesterday. I can't wait for them to arrive. pollystyrene - what do you soak yours in? Just a bucket or what? I don't really want Mr. Pug walking into the spare bathroom and having a big bucket of bloody water sitting in front of him. I was hoping to get something with a lid.

pollystyrene
Maybe this is kinda gross, but I roll them up and snap the snaps to keep them closed, then just stick them in a drawer in my bathroom- like I said, my flow's not that heavy, so there's not much of a smell issue. When my period's over, I put them all in a gallon-sized ziplock bag, put in a considerable amount of white vinegar and hot water, seal the bag and it just sits in my bathroom sink "marinating" (ew!) for awhile (at least a couple of hours.) Then I take them out and rinse them under hot water, indivdually, sort of "massaging" each of them to make sure there's nothing left on them and all the vinegar-y water gets out. Obviously, you're not going to get all the stains out, but they at least get faded, and there's no chunks of tissue or anything on them.

The last time I washed them I tried doing it in the washing machine. That worked out okay. I stuck them in a lingerie bag and I always use unscented detergent and unscented liquid fabric softener for all my laundry, so I'd recommend that. I washed them with a socks & underwear load, so it was hot water. I let them air dry, though.
hellotampon
I never soak pads. My period is short and my flow is light so I usually need an organic tampon or one pad that I made out of a washcloth the first day and just a pair of thick black underwear the next. I just throw them in the laundry with everything else. I always wondered why you're supposed to soak them.

I felt like I had PMS too or three weeks ago- really tired and clumsy and stuff. But it was way too early for that, since I got my last period May 30th. I thought my cycle was just getting shorter, as it usually does in the summer. Now I've been getting little uterine twinges for a week, signalling that my period is coming. I was expecting to start bleeding yesterday since it was my 28th day, and I've been 28 days for a while now, and still nothing. Usually the night before my period starts, I have a dream about it, and I haven't had one yet. I know it's too early to start worrying about pregnancy, but I didn't pay attention to when I ovulated this month and my body's signals were all crossed anyway. I hate waiting!
LoveMyPugs
hellotampon - if you really want to track your cycle i'd recommend www.mymonthlycycles.com it's what i use and i love it. i've been tracking for about seven months now. i feel like i know my body better now. my sister is also using it because her cycles are irregular and when they do come they are heavy and she cramps a lot! it's what my obgyn recommended as well, tracking it at home. just a suggestion. you might already be doing it but i figured i'd throw it out there.

lexmccall
I am new to this forum, but if anyone could shed some light on this, I'd be very grateful:
For the bulk of my adult life (I'm 26), I've had a very regular period--starts off very heavy for 2-3 days, then 4-5 days tapering off.
I know a lot of women who've said that, when they live in close proximity to other women, their cycles get thrown off, or they all synch up, or something. I lived with other women throughout college and ever since, but that has never happened to me. My cycle has been as regular as ever.
Until now. My period started off lighter than usual, and then the tapering off kind of just kept going, and then it got heavier again, and now I'm going on over 2 weeks with basically no break. Still very light, though (for me).
So I'm kind of freaking out, but my (new) girlfriend is quite sure that it's just her hormones that are throwing me off. And I want to believe that, but this has never happened with previous girlfriends. Except that the previous ones were all on the pill, and I can only guess that that would make a difference.
I'm about to call my gyno, but of course it's a holiday week. So I figure I give it a few more days, and if I'm still bleeding, I'll see the doctor.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
candycane_girl
lex, I've never had a period go on that long. Is this your first period without the pill? I once had an extremely dark discharge that just wouldn't stop and my doctor said that it basically was the pill slowing down my period so that it was kind of just like a month long drip instead of everything happening in a week.

I'm so frustrated with bc pills. I just quit Marvelon because it was actually giving me cramps!

Also, does anyone know of anything stronger than Midol for cramps? I take two extra strength pills and they barely do anything!
LoveMyPugs
candycane - I know my O.B.G.Y.N. recommends taking Advil around the clock starting two days before my period is supposed to start. Since beginning this regiment it has really reduced the severity of my cramps and I used to get them something awful. A few weeks ago on Oprah they had an O.B.G.Y.N. answering common menstrual cycle questions the big question was what to do about really bad cramps. She also recommended the same thing my doctor did, Advil or Aleve around the clock starting a few days before your period even starts. www.WebMd.com recommends the same thing as well. You might want to give that a try. I also ordered Lunapads and am trying them for the first time this month. I’m due to start tomorrow. I’m really hoping that by using cloth pads instead of disposable tampons I might cramp less as well as doing something good for the environment. Good luck!
candycane_girl
Well, my cramps aren't as bad today. Dammit, I wish I had seen that episode of Oprah but I work till 5 everyday and her show comes on at 4.

I'm so frustrated with my period. This morning I fully used up a "super" absorbency tampon in under 45 minutes. Like I said, I was on Marvelon and that was supposed to help decrease the heaviness but it just gave me cramps. I'm so annoyed! Also, I feel like I might have to go to the clinic instead of my doctor because I don't know when I would be able to get in an see him since his office hours don't accomodate my work hours. Will a clinic give out birth control? I mean, I can give them my family doctor's name and just explain that I can't get in to see him. And also he keeps giving me pills that do nothing to help with the heaviness of my period!
Arcadia
I don't know if this is a weird question or not, but I had to ask anyway.

Do any of you ladies find that when you use a tampon in the first few days of your period the cramping is a little bit worse? I refuse to use pads (I haven't in years because they make me feel like I'm wearing a very uncomfortable diaper) and although it's not unbearable, I do notice I feel a bit more crampy once I put a tampon in.

Just wondering if I'm imagining things!

cinderflower
QUOTE(lexmccall @ Jul 2 2007, 09:18 PM) *
I am new to this forum, but if anyone could shed some light on this, I'd be very grateful:
For the bulk of my adult life (I'm 26), I've had a very regular period--starts off very heavy for 2-3 days, then 4-5 days tapering off.
I know a lot of women who've said that, when they live in close proximity to other women, their cycles get thrown off, or they all synch up, or something. I lived with other women throughout college and ever since, but that has never happened to me. My cycle has been as regular as ever.
Until now. My period started off lighter than usual, and then the tapering off kind of just kept going, and then it got heavier again, and now I'm going on over 2 weeks with basically no break. Still very light, though (for me).
So I'm kind of freaking out, but my (new) girlfriend is quite sure that it's just her hormones that are throwing me off. And I want to believe that, but this has never happened with previous girlfriends. Except that the previous ones were all on the pill, and I can only guess that that would make a difference.
I'm about to call my gyno, but of course it's a holiday week. So I figure I give it a few more days, and if I'm still bleeding, I'll see the doctor.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

okay, this is ancient history but it will make you smile. or laugh. or think i'm insane. supposedly the woman with the highest estrogen level/dominant personality influences other women's cycles she is close friends with (or spends a lot of time in close proximity with i suppose) so i was always the one whose period made the other women's change. i have a high estrogen level naturally and could never take birth control pills (even the lowest estrogen ones. i had a copper-7 IUD). then my best friend for 27 years had a fight between her cycle and mine. and mine won. it was hilarious. and yes, i also had long periods--a week sometimes.
candycane_girl
Arcadia, I've noticed that at times too! It's kind of like, when my cramps are really bad I feel better the second I pull my tampon out. It's almost like relieving some sort of internal pressure.
phobia
Candycane -- go to Planned Parenthood. They can probably get you in sooner than your doc, they can prescribe BC pills of all kinds, and the doctors and NPs there are unshockable. You could tell them you've been having sex with circus midgets and walruses for the past six years, and they'd just nod and write it down biggrin.gif Anyway, if all you need is a pelvic and some BC, that's the place to go. I'd be hesitant to go to the clinic, because you probably won't be getting a "gyn" doctor, and if you're having trouble with the pills, you might want to talk to someone more expert. Good luck!
candycane_girl
Thanks phobia. I managed to get an early appointment with my doctor though, so I'll be able to ask for a different pill. I'm so annoyed because I've been on so many different pills. I'm hoping to find a woman doctor once I move to Toronto, hopefully one who won't give me "the look" when I say that yes, I am sexually active but no, I don't really have a boyfriend. I mean, honestly, what's so wrong with just having one guy that I have sex with but am not emotionally involved with?
phobia
Yuck, candycane, that's terrible (and no, I swear I am not stalking you across the boards!). That's why I particularly loved PP. These docs had heard it all, and having multiple sex partners is probably pretty tame biggrin.gif But nobody should put up with a doctor that doesn't respect them. That is NOT a recipe for good care! Good luck.

Oh, you know what else I might try? Try looking in the phone book for places that have names like "Women's Center," (ok, or "Centre" if you're a Canuck wink.gif), or stuff like that. That might be a good place to find a more symptathetic doctor.
candycane_girl
lol, yeah, I'm just not sure how to go about getting a doctor once I move to Toronto. The thing is that this year I'm covered under my mom's insurance (in other words almost all my prescriptions are free!) but next year I turn 24 so I'm no longer covered. So I don't know if I'll have to just go to a clinic or what. There's a great clinic in downtown Toronto called the Hassle Free Clinic but I don't even no where to look for regular doctor stuff. I guess I'll be stuck with the university clinic. :\

And yeah, it sucks to have a doctor that I feel is always judging me when I have a sexual health problem.

Also, I talked to a friend of mine who is a pharmacist and she said that it actually probably wasn't the bc pill that gave me cramps a week before my period. I don't know why though, because it has never happened before. She also said that I probably shouldn't be switching pills so often. blink.gif oops!
LoveMyPugs
I have great news about my period this month. This month I started using my Lunapads and I started taking Advil around the clock two days before my period was supposed to start (a recommendation of my o.b.g.y.n. to deal with the bad cramps I've been having). By far this was the easiest period I've ever had. I bled and cramped less then I ever have. My period is consistently five days every month. Usually it's one medium flow day, two heavy flow days, one medium flow day then one spotty day. This month it was one spotty day, two medium flow days and today I'm just spotting. The Lunapads were fantastic. I have been using tampons for years and usually hate pads but the Lunapads were great. I didn't have one "accident" the entire time. They were so comfortable. I was very nervous about having to soak and wash them (ewww). However, talk about easy. I just rinsed them in the sink and then soaked them in a plastic container with a little bit of laundry soap. I changed the water every night and today I just tossed them in the washer and dryer with a load of towels I did. I know it sounds silly but I'm actually looking forward to my next period. Mr. Pug even made a comment that he thought the Lunapads made my (and his) life a little easier this month. I'm totally for the Lunapads now! I'm sold. I'd recommend them to anyone. I bought the deluxe kit and it was the perfect number of pads for my whole cycle. I actually had one mini pad left that I didn't use. Anyone interested in buying them I'd totally recommend them to anyone. I was worried because I have a heavy flow but they stood up to the challenge. I'm glad that I bought them. Just wanted to share with everyone.
archegonia
hey cats,
this may be a lil long but i like to think its a fun read. its an article i wrote a few years ago and just found... enjoy...:

Coop’s Theory of Modern PMS: Look what the Tomato Boat dragged in.

Stress is often listed as being a possible cause of PMS in many medical references. I don’t suffer from aggressive PMS much. That is not until I stand in the ‘feminine hygiene’ isle and peruse the selection. There are NO biodegradable pads to speak of, at least not on mainstream shelves; and 5 bucks a month just because I was blessed with multiple orgasms? Is that what this is all about? Come the fuck on. Most pads have plastic involved in their no leak strategies and almost all of them have plastic packaging. Many cultures past and fewer present view the Earth as synonymous with the body of a woman. We both have curves, beauty and are under the whim of our cycles. So why do we depend upon non-biodegradable products that will probably still be on Earth, hanging out by the ocean or in a landfill, when our grandchildren have their first karaoke experience? Over 7 million tampons and 12 million pads are tossed away or flushed after a single use each year. That doesn’t honour the Earth or our bodies. I realize that there are plastic free tampons but lets flip to the words on the My Angry Vagina pages of our trusty Vagina Monologues shall we? “…tampons – what the hell is that? A wad of dry fucking cotton stuffed up there”? I think not. Plus, do you know what’s in those things? Rayon, a petroleum product, and cotton (among other things which are currently being or recently have been taken out of the mix such as chlorine bleach). These cotton products are grown in pesticide sprayed fields. It has been common practice to feed livestock the leaves and stems of these cotton plants but due to the high levels of pesticide residue it has become illegal in California to continue to feed this to the animals. And were holding onto these things inside our whisker boxes?
Who are the people who decide to contaminate our fur burgers anyway? Well Proctor and Gamble (who test on animals incidentally) own Tampax. And who owns proctor and gamble? Alan Lafley, CEO and director. How about O.B? O.B is owned by Johnson & Johnson which is chaired by CEO William C. Weldon. Kotex is a product of Kimberly-Clark and so is owned by Thomas Falk. There are 3 of the largest distributors of feminine products and they all have one disconcerting coincidence. They are all owned by men. Rich men. In caper convenience the going rate for a package of pads is $4.99 and a box of tampons goes for $4.05. Round that off to $4.50 each month for the year and the average CBU Goddess gives $54.00 a year to those wealthier-than-I’ll-ever-be men. And if we assume the average woman begins her period at the age 13 and begins menopause at the age of 50 then she has given about $5000.00 to these men in her lifetime. This is necessity! We definitely don’t choose to bleed. I know I can’t afford to pay 5000 bones to fat cat men who don’t care if they expose my Earth and my honey pot to pesticides. No bloody way.
What about the women who have been visited by Aunt Flow for the last few million years? And women in other cultures? They survive with out plastic by using rags and pieces of fabric. In Native American cultures it has been believed that women have strong power and vision when it is their ‘moontime’. They would sit out side or in a place designated for women and let their blood flow back to the Earth. This piece is taken from www.compleatmother.com: “Sit, sister, here on the soft green moss, and give your sacred moon blood to the earth, back again to the spiral of life. Let flow your womb's blood red to the green and brown of earth. Sit here. Relax and close your eyes and let the visions come. Rest now and give your moon blood to nourish the mother who nourishes us. Relax and let the visions come.” How could anyone have PMS with a menstrual experience like that?
Native women spent their ‘moontime’ sitting on the bare earth and moss; Pilipino women have the first day of their period off work no questions asked; we continue our already unnatural workload and pretend that nothing is different. Show me a man who wouldn’t take time off due to bleeding for five days straight. Maeve, Celtic Goddess of cycles, rhythms and femininity, who invoked labour pains on an army that aimed to claim her land, wouldn’t stand for our lifestyle. She insisted battles ceased during her period, labour and delivery.
Of course we suffer greatly from PMS! We live in a society where we work to hide our “sacred moon blood” with chemical filled non-biodegradable products that we pay too much for to rich men and when we suffer PMS we are prescribed drugs that may or may not be marketed as PMS alleviators but are actually antidepressants under a different name (no joke). Stress is often listed as being a possible cause of PMS in many medical references. No shit.

In fact PMS is still considered a myth by some people. In his book The Pursuit of Happiness David G. Myers, Ph.D. dubs premenstrual syndrome a falsehood and it’s not hard to find men anywhere that regard it as a poor excuse for female irritability. That’s OK though; we don’t believe in blue balls
LoveMyPugs
archegonia - i think that was a great article. thanks for sharing it.
humanist77
hallelujah Diva Cup/Luna Pads/Sea Sponges whatever!

What does it mean when your cervix changes direction? I was laying down and checking for the strings of my IUD, and I couldn't even find my cervix. So I stood up and bared down hard so that everything pushed downwards, and I was able to feel my cervix then-but it was tipped pretty far back towards my tail bone, instead of basically pointing straight down, and it seemed a lot higher than usual. I know it's normal for it to get higher and lower throughout your cycle, but I've never heard of it pointing in a different direction. But before I got the IUD, I guess I'd never really examined my cervix like this-so I don't know if it's normal or not~
candycane_girl
I have no idea Humanist. I didn't realize that a cervix even changes direction! huh.gif

I wasn't sure if I should post this in here or the general health thread but does anyone know what it means if you get the feeling of menstrual cramps many days before your period is expected? This is the second time this has happened now and it's weirding me out! I hate taking Midol when I'm not even bleeding.
candycane_girl
I just have to mention that I'm very frustrated because most of the sites I'm coming up with keep saying that it's a sign of pregnancy. But I am not pregnant!!
lapis
QUOTE(humanist77 @ Jul 13 2007, 12:11 PM) *
What does it mean when your cervix changes direction?

Humanist77, Your cervix changes positions throughout the month. For example, when you are ovulating it is high and soft and open. Around your period it is lower and harder and closed. Things shift around alot and it's great that you could manage to figure out a position to find it.

Candycane girl, I had polycystic ovaries and would get crazy cramps sometimes mid-cycle when I should have been ovulating--it was the cysts causing the pain. Could you ask for a vaginal ultrasound to see if anything's up? Hope you feel better...
phobia
Ugh, vaginal ultrasounds = teh suck. But they are neccesary. I had a cyst burst on my ovary during sex once, and it was the most painful thing ever, but not dissimilar to menstrual cramps. Something to remember about internal pain is that it often isn't coming from where it seems to be coming from. It's a phenomenon called "referred pain," and that's why you can get shooting arm pains when you're having a heart attack, for example. So all may not be as it seems. Candycane, you better set your mind to finding a doctor tongue.gif
candycane_girl
Well, I've got a family doctor here. I could maybe see him next week. I'm just worried that he might change my birth control pill again. I talked to a friend of mine who is a pharmacist and she said the cramping probably wasn't related to my bc pill. The pain wasn't excruciating but it was bad enough that I felt the need to take some extra strength Midol.
phobia
Good luck Candycane!!! Remember, a doctor isn't a mind reader -- be FIRM with him/her if you think they aren't listening!

I go to the doc tomorrow to see about getting on BC. My boy says i'm ubearable around my period, and for the last couple months I've been getting crushing depression on the first two days of my period (like, can't stop crying, no apetite, can barely leave the house). I'm thinking about the ring....

Off to various and sundry more relevant threads!!!
LoveMyPugs
phobia - i liked the ring but my girly parts didn't. i'm very sensitive and it made me dry, itchy and then gave me a yeast infection. i would have stuck with it if it and my body had gotten along. Mr. Pug couldn't feel it at all.
humanist77
thanks, lapis!
candycane_girl
I just had to come in here and say that I finally had a decent period! First off, it only lasted for four days! Four days! I've been on Alesse for a couple of months now so I don't know if that's had an impact. I would think so. The cramps weren't too bad, nothing too extreme. It was really nice.
LoveMyPugs
I woke up and went to the bathroom this morning I noticed that my period had started. I wasn't surprised cause I tracked it and knew it was coming. I got out one of my new Lunapads. This is my second cycle with them. And, I know it sounds sill but when I snapped that lunapad into my panties and pulled them on it was like, "Oh, these are just so soft and comfortable." They really do make you feel better about having your period. I'm glad I bought them. My aunt called me later on and while we were talking she said she was on hers as well and we had a little having your period sucks rant and then laughed. Also, why, why, why did I schedule to have lunch with Mr. Pug's mother and grandmother today???? Oh well, hopefully it will be fun to spend time together. Must be positive.

(((((((bloody grrls)))))))
p_176
i've been getting my cycle each month, which is a little odd, since i'd been only having it every 2-3 months. (my bf said it was his masculinity that was making me ovulate more regularly LOL). not sure though what is causing the change.
Arcadia
This might be a really weird question, but I was wondering if any of you get super-dry right after the end of your period. I know I do and it's kind of uncomfortable. Just wondering if this is a general occurrence or what cause it's actually REALLY annoying!

LoveMyPugs
Arcadia -

What are you using during your period? I used to use tampons and they would dry me out something terrible.
kittenb
Arcadia - I have the same problem. It is one of the reasons that I a going to give the Luna Cup another try even though my Kepper attempts were not fun.
Arcadia
Hrm, yeah, I pretty much rely on tampons, LMP. I was thinking that might be it too. I just can't stand using pads. The dryness isn't *that* bad, but it's really annoying when the day after I just want to do sexy things and can't cause I'm so effin' dry!

Maybe I should look into other methods . . . .
LoveMyPugs
arcadia -

i used tampons all my life. i hated pads. i tried the diva cup and i hated it. i'm now using lunapads and i just love, love, love them. i look foward to my period now instead of dreading it. i don't have any of the dryness or yeast infection problems i had before. i'm not as moody and i don't bleed as heavy or as long as i used to. i was worried i wouldn't want to have to soak them or keep the used ones in my purse till i got home at the end of the day but it really is so easy. it's not an inconvienence at all. you might want to look into it. i totally recommend them to everyone who hates disposable tampons and pads and can't seem to get the diva cup to work for them.

if you aren't ready to switch to something else you might want to try lubing yourself up real well the last day of your period with a water based lube. it's a little messy but since you're almost done anyway it shouldn't be that bad. it's like giving your girly parts a nice drink of water. tampons are just killer.

good luck!
1womanarmy1
I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for natural home remedies for horribly irregular periods and severe pain before and during menstruation.

I finally caved and went to a gynecologist after 6 months without a period, the last of which was full of excrutiating pain that I believe was the result of an ovarian cyst bursting, but she just wrote me a prescription for a drug to induce my period and scheduled a follow-up for a few months from now to see if it comes again without the drugs. I don't feel comfortable taking any kind of medication. I know I have polycystic ovaries and I know that I can't really do anything about them, but does anyone know of any natural way to alleviate any of these symptoms? I used to use tampons, but switched to biodegradable disposable products I found at a natural health food store but when I actually get my period it is still incredibly painful - I can barely walk and spend most of the 10-14 days it lasts in bed with a hot water bottle. When I tell doctors this they always tell me to take advil or motrin but I get the feeling that they either a)don't believe me or b)think I am being melodramatic or exaggerating. The fact is that I just can't function this way.

I don't miss it when I skip it but it alarms me because I don't want this to develop into a fertility issue. My partner and I plan on having children in a few years and I have to be the one to carry them, because she can't. I know we could always adopt, but that's a whole other conversation and another topic.

I am a lesbian, which may be relevant only because I am absolutely not pregnant and I am not being penetrated (which may or may not make any difference anyway) which are the other things doctors ask me about after hearing all this.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks grrrls! unsure.gif
phobia
1Woman -- sorry I don't know anything about the natural route, but it does sound like you need to find a better doctor, with better listening skills. Sometimes it takes a long time to find someone who really listens, who you're comfortable with. If your periods are interfering with your life and you think you have ovarian cysts, you need to get that checked out by an actual medical doctor. I can understand why you're feeling wary of the "establishment," but if you do want to have children at some point, it's worth being patient and finding a doc who will listen. Fertility issues aren't someting you want to mess about with. Good luck! As far as finding doctors -- I would look for places with names like "Women's health center" or "women's center." Just my two cents. If you're active in any groups or organizations, you could ask around, too. Don't be shy -- this is your health we're talking about!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.