Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'Looks Like We Got Ourselves a Reader...'
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
aslan
Damona -

Has he read Holes yet? When I taught middle school that was a book that all the boys really liked a lot. Also, the Superfudge books by Judy Blume are always a classic. And, believe it or not, I read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn out loud to my class of 11 & 12 yr olds and they LOVED it.

My stack of "summer reading" continues to grow. Makes me pine for the long lazy days of summer breaks.....just give me a hammock, a big woven hat, and my stack of books, New Yorkers, and Harpers......

sigh.

damona
i knew i could count on the busties! thanks y'all!

bunny, he's on the 3rd narnia book now, he's loving the series so far. i'll look for those other authors you suggested, thanks!

kitten, i didn't think of the hobbit, probably b/c i had a hard time getting thru that one. i love to read, and i will read just about anything, but for some reason, that one just absolutely dragged for me. but i do have the set, so i'll offer 'em up to him, he just might love it!

aslan (hi aslan!), i actually didn't know that holes was a book. we have the movie, and the crew loves it, so i'll have to see if i can find the book. thanks!

i have a stack of books that i'm working thru. mostly borrowed from my best friend, who, fortunately, is very generous with her enormous library. i just finished a set of historical romances set during the scottish rebellion of 1745. very, very accurate. the author really did her research well. i just started women in celtic myth: tales of extrordinary women from the ancient celtic tradition by moyra caldecott.
prophecy_grrl
I will second Superfudge, His Dark Materials (god, I wish I had those when I was a kid), Discworld, and the Hobbit. I also think you can never go wrong with Roald Dahl. His stuff appeals to boys, girls, and adults.

I loved the Wrinkle in Time series, all of the Oz books, Secret Garden, Bridge to Terabithia, and EB White (I know, some of these are "girl" books, though I'm sure we all read plenty of "boy" books as kids rolleyes.gif ). Neil Gaiman's YA stuff is fantastic - Coraline, InterWorld, M is for Magic, and there's another coming out this fall, The Graveyard Book.

I have been reading a lot of non-fiction lately (which is new for me) and quite a few comics and graphic novels. I have a vacation coming up, so I'm planning to dig in to some real summer reading: No One Belongs Here More than You, Time Was Soft There, The Stolen Child are on the short list. I may add in some trashy, vampire romance novel for beach reading cool.gif
LoungeLady
Suggestions for damona from the BUST interns (we love books)... Hatchet, The Giver, A Wrinkle in Time, The Phantom Tollbooth, Time Cat, A Series of Unfortunate Events, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Bridge to Terabithia, Tuck Everlasting, Where the Redfern Grows, The Westing Game, The Twenty-One Balloons, anything by Diana Wynne Jones, the Artemis Fowl series... <3
damona
LL, thank you to you and the interns! y'all made me think harder about stuff i read as a kid and i realized it wasn't all fluff lol. i even still have some of those. i also remembered i have the little house on the prairie set, which he might like, and the over sea, under stone set. and to kill a mockingbird. and, oh geez... the indian in the cupboard books. i'll have to get out to storage and see what might be lurking out there.

prophecy, he's read charlotte's web and stuart little. how did i forget about judy blume?? oh, and if you are looking for vampire novels, i recommend sherrilyn kenyon's dark-hunter series. or laurell k hamilton's anita blake series. good stuff.
octobersky
Damona - try the book Chasing Vermeer really fun read, a bit like a DaVinci Code for kids. Avi is a popular author as is Jack Gantos and Jerry Spinelli they tend to write for a young male audience. I second whoever recommeded Holes - I love that book!!

Also try:
The Thief Lord
Hoot
Coraline
Roll Of Thunder Hear My Cry
A Year Down Yonder

If he likes non-fiction look for the Dorling Kindersley line of books, they have wonderful information and illustrations/photographs. The titles range from Ancient Rome to the Vietnam War.

That's all I can think of - I'm an unemployed middle school teacher, so if you want anymore titles just PM me. wink.gif
zoya
Damona - did you by any chance just get done reading the "Outlander" series? I've read almost all of them (I only read about 50% of the most recent one, it kinda fell flat for me) and Diana Gabaldon is just so right on with her historical research and timelines, it's amazing how meticulous she is. Of course, she is also responsible for many of my girlfriends in the US who have read them, thinking I'm living with a bunch of hot men in kilts running around on the streets here (if only...)

I wish I had more suggestions for your son, everyone has pretty much said everything I would... one that I don't think anyone has mentioned is "The 21 Balloons" by William Pene DuBois. Absolutely fantastic book that both boys and girls love and I've even re-read it as an adult and been just as into it.

ETA - I just realized LoungeLady recommended the 21 Balloons... anyway, I second it highly!
damona
zoya, no, not the "outlander" books, tho i have read a couple of hers. these were by marsha canham. the blood of roses, the pride of lions, and midnight honor. pretty good for romance novels!

i'm just starting blood noir, the latest in the LKH's anita blake series.

my friend is replacing her fave books with hardcovers and i'm inheriting all the paperbacks! it's like christmas! lol

more thank you's to everyone who has helped me out! i'm writing these titles all down and keeping the list in the car for when we get to the library next, we'll see what we can come up with! he also got a $15 gift card for barnes and noble, since his class won the end of the year Battle of the Books, so i've got to drive him out there so he can pick something.
aslan
(hi damona!)

Oooh, I just remember how I loved loved loved The Westing Game when I was your son's age. And the Over Sea Under Stone series - loved those as well. I wish I could read all of those again for the first time.

My daughter's all over the Stephanie Meyer vampire books....I wish I had time to read them right now too. I get the feeling they're pretty much on the young teen girl side though....
bunnyb
well I'm definitely no young teen girl but I loved the Stephanie Meyer books and looking forward to the next.

damona, glad prophecy brought up Neil Gaiman as I forgot to suggest his younger books and I would definitely suggest Roald Dahl if he hasn't read them. You should maybe PM mandolyn as Danny, although older than your d, is a big reader and she may have some tips; she hasn't posted lately though (sniff). eta: also Holes by Louis Sachar is a great read! I enjoyed it last as a woman so I'm sure the target audience of a young boy will LOVE it!

My little sister isn't a big reader (I have tried but she hasn't a great attention span although she loves to listen to Harry Potter on audiobook at my suggestion) and she won a book token at school yesterday so she gave it to her big sister who she knows loves books smile.gif.
crazyoldcatlady
so i've been lurking in here for like 3 weeks and haven't had the time to post, but wanted to say that:
1. no, i didn't finish Special Topics. Fuck it.
2. I cannot, for the life of me, find a book that can hold my attention. I seriously have 12 recently purchased books that have officially been skiffed. And one of them was The Sound and the Fury, which I think I need need need to read, because i know back in the day i would have loved it. i'm so afraid that my attention span/reading skills have been whittled down to skimming what with the interwebs and the job being the main culprits.

(OT: there was a www.io9.com article about how Google is making us stupid because no one reads anymore, and I couldn't even read the synopsis of the article without skimming. and then the blogger posted about how (s)he thought io9 readers were better than that. HA!)- xpost in scifi thread
deathaniexo
hey everyone. i'm so glad i found this thread!! i'm currently reading 1984, The Other Boleyn Girl and Chasing Harry Winston. I love summer because i actually get to read books I want to read and not books i'm forced to read as a lit major. crazy - i say skip The Sound and the Fury, if you are having problems with keeping interested in a novel, Faulkner is definitely not the way to go in my opinion. His style is very dry.
sassygrrl
CCL, I know what you mean. I keep buying 2-3 books every time I head to the store, and they just end up by my bedside, not read.

Oh! Maybe someone has already mentioned this, but has any one tried Bookswim? It's like Netflix for books. It's really cool.

Death, please DON'T read Absalom Absalom. I remember dragging thru it in college, and wanting to stab my professor for making us read it.
deathaniexo
I can not stand Faulkner. I did, however, get through As I lay Dying, The Sound and the Fury, and Light in August. Thankfully I am done with them and hopefully not get stuck reading anymore this coming semester, which is my last before my BA!!! woot woot!!
lananans
deathaniexo -- I just read Chasing Harry Winston last month, what did you think of it? I think I may have liked Weisberger's first two books a bit better, but it was still definitely a really good read.

I just bought more books off of Amazon... a terrible addiction that I have... I ordered the Poisonwood Bible, The Red Tent, and The Birth House. Anyone read any of these?

Also, has anyone heard of the site www.goodreads.com? It's awesome, you can make lists of books you've read and put them in categories, and then make a to-read list, which helps for those who forget what they wanted to read when they read about it 5 minutes ago, like me...
damona
*drive by*

i took dai to the thrift store yesterday and he picked out a half dozen or so books, including holes, 2 bunnicula books, a wishbone mystery, tales of a fourth grade nothing by judy blume.... and something else i can't remember.

i got a whole shopping bag full of books for a buck!!!!! i was so excited! this way, i don't feel bad at all when i read them once and pass them on to someone else or re-donate them, cuz they were so cheap!

i read the red tent a couple years ago. i loved it. i also liked orson scott cards' women of genesis series. different viewpoints, but same settings.

*zoooooom*
Moonpieluv
((Damona)) and all..

Wonder how I got my trashy harlequin romances? From a BOOK SALE! Fill a brown paper bag for $2!!! I found some great classics---marguerite duras, katherine mansfield.. etc. But, after I scoured fiction of that caliber... I hit the romance section.

OMG!! I have never purchased romance ever. I was hoping to get some juicy erotica out of it, but even the super-romances are tame. sigh. I only got the ones that had anything to do with pirates or tropical themes. I figured they would be mindless fun reading for my new life by the sea. *shrugs*

For a nickel, they ain't too bad! and I figure if I don't like em... I'll donate em.
catsoup
This weekend I read two fabulous books. The first was My Most Excellent Year. It's a YA novel and I really enjoyed it. I'm just starting to get out of my rut of only reading YA and Children's books (grad school sucks up all my brain power) and this was a great book to end on.

Then I read Girlbomb's book, Have You Found Her. I bought it months ago and was saving it for.. I don't know what really... The right time I guess. And I'm glad I did. It was a lot to digest and I spent my entire day reading it today and just finished about an hour ago. I could not put it down. At all. Like take it to the bathroom with me, read it as I walk to the kitchen, couldn't put it down. Now I'm mentally exhausted. I work with teens and while I've never encountered anything quite like Girlbomb did in this book, I've had my share of ... I don't even know what to call it... especially this late at night on a "school night." The honesty of the book was incredible. And it's so relatable. I've felt those silly insecure jealous feelings when the teens I work with seem to prefer other people. smile.gif Now I'm just rambling... Must go to sleep...

Anyway, the book is amazing and I can't wait to recommend it to everyone. Thank you for writing it, Girlbomb.
damona
i read the birth of venus yesterday. i finished it at 6.15 this morning. it's a historical novel of a woman in florence, italy, in the late 1400's. beautifully written.
angiegandy
I hope this unsolicited comment doesn't bother anyone. I saw this thread about books, and figured I'd give this a shot!

as a consequence of the unforeseen death of my car’s transmission, i’ve succumbed to selling everything I own on the web. Yup, this is, in fact, a *very*shameful*plug*. But keep reading anyway, cause i have goodies to offer...

I posted the better part of my book collection on half.com. It consists entirely of women’s lit that runs the gamut from fiction to nonfiction, women’s art, women’s spirituality, classic titles, modern titles, books dealing with race issues, slavery, Native American culture, sexism, body image, erotica, gay lit, history, memoirs, politics, global feminism... the list goes on. I’m selling 65 titles in all. To check them out-->

Go to www.half.com

On the left side of the page, click “Save on Shipping”

In the Find A Seller box, type “lanzagal”.

You'll be able to browse through the selections and buy some great books for cheapo-prices. I also posted this topic on a feminist Myspace forum, and one woman bought 9 titles! I thought that was pretty cool.

So, go on... do some shopping smile.gif

Thanks, gals. You’re all the best!
deschatsrouge
You could post this in the shameless self promotion thread too angie.
girlbomb
Catsoup, thanks for the awesome review! I really appreciate your recommendation of the book, and your empathy for the writer. smile.gif

As for reading, I've been on a classics kick lately -- Austen, Thackeray, Bronte, Wharton -- it's been awesome! But I took a break for Darin Strauss's new novel, More Than it Hurts You. It's about a young mother accused of Munchausen by Proxy, and it's creepy as hell, but it rocks. So full of perceptive emotional moments, so well-written. Next up is either Wharton's The Buccaneers, or her memoir, A Glance Backwards. Then maybe some Henry James...
angiegandy
QUOTE(deschatsrouge @ Jul 8 2008, 06:09 PM) *
You could post this in the shameless self promotion thread too angie.

Thanks for the link! I'm heading over there now smile.gif
femikneesm
[quote name='lananans' date='Jun 28 2008, 07:56 AM' post='202986']

I just bought more books off of Amazon... a terrible addiction that I have... I ordered the Poisonwood Bible, The Red Tent, and The Birth House. Anyone read any of these?

I too have a terrible Amazon addiction - I just checked my account and this year I have bought a ridiculous number of books - I just can't stop! It's also worth checking out thriftbooks.com. I'm in Australia and they charge about $3 less for international postage - which makes quite a difference.

I'm reading a lot of young and/or queer writers at the moment - Michelle Tea, Eileen Myles, Clint Catalyst, Katia Noyes, Daphne Gottlieb, Ali Liebegott.... Has anyone read The IHOP Papers? I finished it recently and just couldn't put it down...

At the moment, I am waiting for Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic (Alison Bechdel), Stir Fry (Emma Donoghue), Babyji (Abha Dawesar) and Origami Striptease (Peggy Munson) to arrive....

I really must stop buying books.
vixen_within
LOVED Fun Home.
femikneesm
oooh I can't wait to get it now! I've heard very good things about it...
vixen_within
I'm reading The Gathering by Anne Enright. It's very slow going, because the topic happens to be so personal to me and because it's written so beautifully. We're talking a paragraph a day here..
thirtiesgirl
Currently reading William Gibson's new book, Spook Country, which just came out in paperback. I'm liking it so far, but not as well as Pattern Recognition, his previous book.

I was in the middle of reading Amy Tan's last fiction book, Saving Fish From Drowning (although it's based on true events), but I've set it aside to chew through Gibson's book. Fish isn't as engrossing for me as Tan's other work, mostly because I prefer when she writes about the mother/daughter, sister or female friend issues.

I was reading Sarah Waters' The Night Watch before that, but haven't managed to finish it yet. I *love* her first three books, particularly Fingersmith. The Night Watch just hasn't caught my interest as much. I don't know what my issue is with not finishing books these days.
damona
i've been reading guns, germs and steel which is fascinating, but a bit of a heavy go. so i put it aside and am re-reading an old dean kootz novel.

i started a wish list on amazon yesterday... and i realized that it's official, i'm a dork! there are tons of books like the oxford companion to food and a basic latin primer on my list. i would say i need a hobby, but that is my hobby, so oh well. not like i'll ever get any of those books anyway! i hate being poor sometimes...*grumblegrumble*
mandolyn
*delurking*

i find myself in a reading funk. any "light summer" reading recommendations?

my bookbud gave me richard and rachael heller's the 13th apostle and stephen king's duma key ... has anyone read them? he said he actually liked duma key, which is saying alot, considering most of what king's published lately sucks much ass.

any reviews of the friday night knitting club? 135 pgs and i got megabored. couldn't exactly put my finger on why it wasn't doing anything for me. i actually got a little irritated with it.

also trying to plug thru diana gabaldon's the fiery cross - mainly so i can read a breath of fire and ashes. but i took a 6-month break (after reading all of em' back to back) and now it's boring me to tears.

*relurks*
sybarite
Mando, I read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil for the first time on holiday and I loved it. Quite (darkly)funny, a little bizarre and crazy atmospheric, it's non-fiction but reads like a novel. I recommend. If you want fluffier I can usually rely on Joanna Trollope, who writes about the minutae of English social life and relationships.

Thirtiesgirl, Night Watch is the only one of Waters' books I've read and I liked it. Stick with it, I remember it started off slowly and the reverse time structure was initially confusing.

I just re-read Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed: still awesome. I seem to be edging into more and more non-fiction. I was reading Female Chauvinist Pigs on the beach on holiday which I thought was funny for some reason.

I want to read some smart but fluffy novels while I finish the thesis, but I read my first (and now only) Jennifer Weiner novel on the plane (Little Earthquakes) and it bored me to tears. I need new fluff!
bunnyb
Lananans, I love The Red Tent. Let me know what The Birth House is like, it sounds like a good read.

vixen_within, The Gathering was a bleak but good read; did you manage to finish it?

thirtiesgirl, I didn't enjoy The Night Watch as much as I did Waters' other books and it took me longer to get into it but it was still a good read (albeit depressing) but I really liked how the stories came together/linked.

I read so much that I have a hopeless retention for plots but ask me who wrote what and I'm your gal! I really need to blog about books immediately after reading them.

My holiday reading was very successful and enjoyable. I read The Private Lives of Pippa Lee by Rebecca Miller (Arthur Miller's daughter and the wife of Daniel Day Lewis), which was really good, thought-provoking and quite strange in places; Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns, was a quick, engaging read that was not as good as The Kite Runner yet similar in some ways as has the same historical setting and has an intense depiction of the relationship between the principal female characters; The Return by Victoria Hislop was a fabulous beach read about a woman who goes salsa dancing in Granada and by chance goes into a cafe where she hears the story of the family who used the run the cafe and their experience of the Spanish Civil War, which in turn changes their lives and hers. I also started to read, but haven't finished yet, The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif Shafak, which is another enticing read, so far.
persimmon_grrrl
ooh Damona, I actually have "Guns, Germs and Steel" on my shelf and I'm excited to read it.

bunnyb: is "The Gathering" bleak in the same way as "The Road" is?

i heart reading.
bunnyb
Definitely not The Road bleak; more like Joyce Carol Oates bleak - if that helps!

I've just read that The Private Lives of Pippa Lee is already being filmed, with a fairly impressive cast and directed by Rebecca Miller herself.

Incredibly excited about the fourth -and final- installment of the Twilight saga, which will be released on the 4th!
freckleface7
I just finished 'A Salty Piece of Land' by Jimmy Buffett and let me tell you- it was great! a little heavy on the nautical/island geography maybe, but I happened on the book on clearance & love his song 'Southern Cross' And grew up sailing and thought what the hell and am so glad I did.
good light summer read and I am now hoping he writes more w/ this character Tully Mars bc he is endearing.

am just about to start 'Peyton Place ' and then 'Return to Peyton Place' by Grace Metalious. anyone read them? ( apparently it's a classic? I am so un-read & under educated for as much as I do read it's embarrassing)
amazonprincess
I didn't much care for The Friday Night Knitting Club. I thought the writing was intermittently poor, but the story was just interesting enough for me to see where it went. It did leave me a bit teary at the end which wasn't what I was looking for.
persimmon_grrrl
anybody got any good astrology books to recommend? right now, i am reading several books and one of them is "Goddesses in Everywoman". I think I liked "Women...Wolves" by Dr. Pinkola-Estes better, but I like learning about mythology all the same.
courtiegirl
Anyone ever read "Sophie's World?" I'm still working on it, but it's very informative. It's a novel about the history of philosophy with a little twist in the life of a fifteen yr. old girl. Really, very good.
tesao
bunnybemine, are the twilight books REALLY that good? i recently came across an advertisement for the movie; the actor who played Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is playing the male lead.....
bunnyb
tes, they aren't high literarture, that's for sure, but they are fantastic guilty pleasures. It isn't very often that a series/trilogy/quartet comes along that allows you to lose yourself completely.
mornington
*sticks head in*
Tes: YES. I'm re-reading them for the third time as I've just bought the final book in the series. I'm not sold on the movie, I think they're much better as books, but I always think that.

Thirtiesgirl, I loved Nightwatch once I gave it time.

Coutiegirl - yes, but not for ages. It's really good, though, but I found it got a bit long in the middle (patience!)

I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns, really easy to read without being too fluffy. The Glass Books of The Dream Eaters by G. Dalquist is *amazing* and great fun to read. I keep meaning to read The Wasp Factory, and now I've actually bought a copy...
vixen_within
No Bunnyb, I am still reading it. I'm not sure I would describe it as bleak. The narrator is caustic about her life and times, and the topic is grim. But there's a levity about her resignation...umm, sardonic detachment and lashing out that I associate with "the dark side" of the experience of grieving, makes me feel less alone & it tempers what could've been unyielding bleakdom. The Road on the other hand, yeah it is pretty relentless.

Hey guys, what is the first book in that Twilight series and who is the writer?
mornington
Vixen, it's "Twighlight" and by Stephanie Meyer
vixen_within
grazie
bunnyb
vixen, I found the subject matter of an Irish family with problems to be bleak but maybe that's because I have an Irish family with problems. I was disappointed by the novel, thinking back, and don't think it lived up to its hype. I like Enright's style though and some of her short stories are perfection personified.

I read The Behaviour of Moths (The Sister in the U.S.) by Poppy Adams and it was a suspenseful, Gothic mystery but it had a disappointing and unresolved ending, in my opinion. I found parts of it to be quite disconcerting, particularly the passive-aggressive ranging to cruel things that families do to one another.

I am now reading Amulya Malladi's The Mango Season.
vixen_within
QUOTE(bunnyb @ Aug 7 2008, 09:21 PM) *
vixen, I found the subject matter of an Irish family with problems to be bleak but maybe that's because I have an Irish family with problems. I was disappointed by the novel, thinking back, and don't think it lived up to its hype. I like Enright's style though and some of her short stories are perfection personified.

I read The Behaviour of Moths (The Sister in the U.S.) by Poppy Adams and it was a suspenseful, Gothic mystery but it had a disappointing and unresolved ending, in my opinion. I found parts of it to be quite disconcerting, particularly the passive-aggressive ranging to cruel things that families do to one another.

I am now reading Amulya Malladi's The Mango Season.

Bunny, which stories would you recommend? I bought The Portable Virgin a while back, but was a bit disappointed with the (very) few I read (um, two).
bunnyb
I don't have any of her stuff to hand but offhand I really liked the title story in that collection. I've also read some of her uncollected stories on the Guardian website and some I've liked, some I've not. I think that the reason I want to like her is that she was taught by Angela Carter, whose work I love.
vixen_within
Hah! I'm of the 'want-to-like-her' mind as well. She's brilliant in interview too.
lananans
QUOTE(tesao @ Aug 3 2008, 03:04 AM) *
bunnybemine, are the twilight books REALLY that good? i recently came across an advertisement for the movie; the actor who played Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is playing the male lead.....

The Twilight books really ARE that good. I never thought I would get addicted to books about vampires, but I have. I just finished the third, and I can't wait to start the fourth.

I'm not sure about the movies, they could be okay. I'm always nervous about seeing movies of books I like in case they ruin them for me.
bunnyb
lananans, the fourth is also fab and addictive! I devoured it over two days at the end of last week. Possible spoiler: a little too neatly tied up but fantastic just the same.. You can tell a book's addictive properties by the withdrawal symptoms you suffer post-reading... I was the same with Harry Potter. I am at a lost as to what i can lose myself in next and halfheartedly reading an easy read to keep me occupied. I think I'll read Stephenie Meyer's other book, The Host next.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.