Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'Looks Like We Got Ourselves a Reader...'
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
mornington
I've got a horrible, horrible feeling that the movies are only being made to cash in on the popularity of the books - I can see them being a massive flop (golden compass, anyone?) and absolutely awful. I think I love the books too much.

and I totally agree with Bunny's spoiler. Fantastic nonetheless.
damona
i only just heard of the twilight books... my sis probably has them, i'll have to go bug her.

i am currently re-reading my anne of green gables books. and a nora roberts romance.

my 9yo (whom you all gave me such wonderful ideas for... thank you again!) is on the 4th book in the dark is rising sequence. he recently found lies my teacher told me on my book shelf, and asked if he could read it. he was utterly fascinated... but i fear i may have made his new 4th grade teacher not too happy!

the mr is on the last of the anita blake books, and is already (before even finishing it!) complaining that he doesn't know what else to read rolleyes.gif i find it highly amusing since this is the guy who i never saw pick up a book for the first 9 years we were together.

i read so dang much that i keep running out of new books and re-reading stuff, just to have something to read!
anna k
I just read The Bigger the Better The Tighter the Sweater, an anthology of women writing about this issues with body image and beauty, including acne, breast size, cancer, aging, pregnancy, being the ugly duckling then considered pretty, and just having complicated relationships with their body. One woman profusely sweats, another never liked being tall and skinny, a trio of sisters identify themselves as being ugly, etc. Some stories got redundant, but it was interesting and new to read.
bunnyb
I am in such a book slump just now that I'm reading The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants series blink.gif. I know, I know. It's not that I don't have any great books to read because I have them in abundance but after the Twilight series I haven't been inspired and don't have the motivation to read anything taxing so escaping in very easy reads. I think I'm going to start that long overdue book blog and compel myself to read some great literature. I have some Haruki Murakami books I've been wanting to read for ages and Jonathan Coe's What a Carve Up! so I may start with those.
mandolyn
my sis raves about the twilight books. after last year's cumbersome outlander series (which i adored but have yet to finish) looks like i too am going to get pulled into the vortex. one of us, one of us .... hee.

i know alot of you have read the little friend by donna tarte. after a fast & furious start, i'm bogged down midway. is it worth finishing?

also recently read steven king's duma key. it didn't suck as much as cell and lisey's story. but um yeah, meh.

bunnyb
Please allow yourself to be sucked into the vortex with us, mandi-dearest! It's nice in here.

damona, a girl who travels on the same train as me home from work recommended the Anita Blake series to me last night (we were both reading the final Twilight book one night a few weeks ago and she was asking me how I'd got on with Bella and Edward). My friend loves Laurell K. Hamilton and bought me the first Meredith Gentry book for Christmas but I haven't read it yet.

I started to read After Dark by Haruki Murakami yesterday and enjoying it; I love his style.
Queen Bull
QUOTE(mandolyn @ Aug 27 2008, 01:07 PM) *

also recently read steven king's duma key. it didn't suck as much as cell and lisey's story. but um yeah, meh.

IMHO, stephen king is losing his charm. His newer books are just...bad, most of the time. As well as his endings....but thats another story. I am about to read the Green Mile for the first time, so meh..

i have read one of the Twilight books, and thought they were good, but prefer the Blue Bloods Series. more vampies and more adolescent easy three hour reads, but oh well.

Has anyone ever read Ellen Hopkins books? { Burned, Crank, Impulse, and maybe one more} they are written in verse form and pretty darn addicting.

I also liked Demonology by Rick Moody. Its a series of short stories, that dont really have a specific point. I love reads like that.
OH
which leads me to the next point:

IF you havent read anything by Jhumpa Lahiri, DO IT. I loved Interpretor of Maladies, another collection. She Also wrote The Namesake. I love her style of writing.

ok, so that turned into a rather random post. ha.

<3's

faerietails
Oh, I LOVE Jhumpa Lahiri. She's such a great writer. I just "read" (audiobook) Unaccustomed Earth on my drive up to NY this weekend. And I'm actually using one of the stories from Interpreter of Maladies in one of my classes this semester. I saw The Namesake movie, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. It's definitely on my list, though.

...I'm using one of the stories from Demonology, too ("On the Carousel")! smile.gif
Queen Bull
I may have to check out Unaccustomed Earth.. smile.gif I havent seen The Namesake movie. How was it? {wrong thread..i know, lol. }

i love short story collections, imho, its a lot easier to keep the wit and intelligence of a story than it is a full blown novel, without getting bogged down by details. Not that i dont love novels.. and of course there are some frighteningly witty and intelligent ones out there, but in general.
mandolyn
QB, the green mile is wonderful, i'm sure you'll love it!!! and the movie is almost as good as the book. excellent casting!

the little friend just got marginally better. i'm just going to suck it up and try to get it over with in one fell swoop this weekend.
crazyoldcatlady
i'm reading joe hill's heart shaped box. he's stephen king's son, and it's a horror, and it ain't half bad. it's mindless, but i need that now.
Queen Bull
SO:

I just started and finished the Green Mile in the span of a day and a half, and may i just say, Oh. MY. God. it was amazing. I loved it. I must admit, it made me cry a little bit. but i definitely think it is the best King book i have read thus far.

I must say though, his stuff is so much more supernatural than i generally gravitate towards. i think i will explore some other thriller venues.

COCL, How did Heart Shaped Box turn out to be on the whole?

faerietails
i met junot diaz last night! he did a book reading/signing, and on one of my books he wrote that i have "the greatest smile"! he's soooooo nice. he was really taking his time to talk to people, and that line was long! i knew i'd be kind of geeky when i met him because i'm socially retarded, but for the most part i think i did okay (except, of course, for when i said "i love your book" so shyly and earnestly that i want to kick myself! lol). i really do love that book, though. i was beside myself with happiness for him when it won the pulitzer this year!
bunnyb
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield was a gripping, Gothic mystery with several twists and turns and some nice literary allusions. It's about a bookish woman who is invited to be the biographer of a famous authoress, who then tells the story of the mysterious (and creepy) family that lived in Angelfield House. Twins abound in this novel of doubles, mirrors and duplicity (how's that for a blurb? wink.gif.

I am now reading another Gothic mystery (I have started a book blog and partaking in an Autumn/Fall scary reads challenge), The Victorian Chaise-longue, by Marghanita Laski (a Persephone book and so far a hidden gem, if you like your Victorian Gothic mysteries).
thirtiesgirl
Any Sarah Waters or Amy Tan fans around? (Not that the two of them are related; I just like their books a lot.) Also, Flannery O'Connor, JT LeRoy?

If you're looking for good historical fantasy, Guy Gavriel Kay is an excellent writer, as is Tad Williams (although his 'Otherland' sci-fi series was absolutely awful). On the sci-fi tip, I'm really only into William Gibson, although Neal Stephenson's 'Snow Crash' was pretty damn good as well.

I'm also a Raymond Chandler and James Ellroy fan, if anyone's into true crime/detective fiction.
bunnyb
I've read all of Sarah Waters' books, thirtiesgirl, and actually about to start reading The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan.
crazyoldcatlady
queen bull, i haven't finished it yet, but i'm working on it. it's very much in the same vein as king, only a little more culturally modern.

next up is no one belongs here more than you, and then a re-tread of a handmaid's tale
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(bunnyb @ Sep 13 2008, 04:26 AM) *
I've read all of Sarah Waters' books, thirtiesgirl, and actually about to start reading The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan.

Ah, 'The Kitchen God's Wife' is a good one, probably my second favorite book of hers. My first fave is 'The Bonesetter's Daughter.' I think I like Amy Tan so well because she can tell a damn good story (plus the Chinese history is great), and I really identify with the mother-daughter issues she always weaves into her plots. The themes of love, loss and learning who your real mother is after the fact in 'The Bonesetter's Daughter' never fail to make me cry every time I read it. It's like she's telling my story, but through Chinese history, with both the mother and daughter in the book.
anna k
I've read Tipping the Velvet, Affinity, and Fingersmith, and really liked both of them, getting engrossed deeply in the material. I haven't read her other work. I saw her do a reading two years ago for The Night Watch, I enjoyed listening to her.

I want to read some new books. When I get my next paycheck, I want to order some books from Amazon, like Jancee Dunn's novel and Sarah Vowell's The Wordy Shipmates, as well as looking at other book reviews I've saved.

Good Country People is one of the best short stories I've ever read. It's got an unsympathetic heroine and a man who presents himself as a naive simpleton till the very end, when he's really a cunning con artist. It's so fantastic.
thirtiesgirl
I love Waters' first 3 books and was super excited when 'Night Watch' came out in paperback. I started reading it, but never finished. It just didn't hold my interest like her first 3. I still have it among my stacks and will have to pick it up in the near future and give it a chance again. I've also seen the BBC tv productions of 'Tipping the Velvet' and 'Affinity.' I was disappointed with the 'Tipping the Velvet' miniseries, but I thought the BBC movie version of 'Affinity' was fairly well done and captured the feeling of the novel.
knorl05
hey booky busties. i'm currently engaged in 2012, by daniel pinchbeck. any reviews? if none, i suggest it. quite a fascinating read it seems to be.
sassygrrl
Queen Ball, The Green Mile is one of my favorite Stephen King books.

I just picked up Out Stealing Horses,The Story of Edgar Sawtellei, and Oscar Wilde and a Game called Murder. Mcgeek also picked up a math textbook and an organizing workbook. I'm also reading The Gift of Fear, and The Watchmen.
kari
Mando-
I am about to finish the first Outlander book. I am 100% addicted to it! I already checked out the next book & plan to start it as soon as I finish the first book. How far into the series did you get?
i_am_jan
QUOTE(femikneesm @ Jun 9 2008, 10:30 PM) *
I am jan - My other fave funny/light reading books are any of the Adrian Mole diaries...I've read them more times than I can count, they are absolute classics and highly diverting.

Femikneesm: How can I put this! I am dead grateful to have been pointed toward The Adrian Mole Diaries!! I had the time of my life. (I look forward to any and other recomm's you would have for me so keep me in mind, esp. where humor/parody is present!) I adore The A. Mole's and believe it to now be one of my faves of all time. I have now reserved "The Cappucino Years" from the library and can't wait. I can tell this is a series I'll have to work into my reading a second time, as it satisfied both the teenager/kid and the adult in me. I also loved all of the many little "winks" the writer throws at an enlightened lady. I grew up in the 80's. Also, it was provocative. It made me wonder what the world would be like if younger people were to assist more in the care of their older relatives and what it would do for healthcare. Anyway, thank you again tongue.gif And did you end up enjoying the Augustus Burroughs?

I have now begun "The Glass Castle: a memoir" by Jeannette Walls. I give you the first line of the inside flap, as I can't put it anymore succinctly: "Jeannette Walls grew up with parents whose ideals and stubborn nonconformity were both their curse and their salvation." Her parents are nonconformist nomads/very brilliant yet the matter is complicated. Quirky and funny, a distastrous tale told not with bitterness, but love. One of the most unique accounts I have read. So far, I can't put it down...nice, short chapters. This was a recommendation I took from Amy Sedaris' website, VERY glad to have found it.
bunnyb
I don't have much to say book-wise (been crazy busy and not enough quality reading time sad.gif) but it was a travesty that this thread had slipped onto page two.

I'm hoping to finish Rosamond Lehmann's Dusty Answer this weekend and move onto something autumnal and perhaps a little creepy seeing it's October. The Lehmann is the first of her novels I have read (although I have a few in my burgeoning Virago collection); it's lyrical and old-fashioned and sometimes the "rather, golly, dash" dialogue reads like a grown-up Famous Five, although the lashings of ginger beer and cherry cake have been substituted for tea and cigarettes.

Later this month I am attending book readings and signings for both Toni Morrison and Neil Gaiman, which I'm looking forward to.
faerietails
I just finished The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti. It's soooo good! She's a great writer.

bunny, I'm going to a Morrison signing next month! Can't wait! smile.gif
bunnyb
I missed her at my uni in '99, faerietails, and I've always regretted it so I'm thankful I have a second chance.
mandolyn
eeep .... so sorry I haven’t checked in here for so long!

kari, Re the outlander series, I got midway thru the fiery cross (#4). A word of warning: you might o.d. if you read them all back-to-back. I did, and I know others who did also. I’d recommend taking breaks in between. (maybe not between #1 & #2, though – I couldn’t begin dragonfly in amber fast enough!) It’s been months and I still can’t get back into it. But I will. I heart Jamie and Claire so. (not so much bree and whatisname).

A word on my sister’s keeper: I laughed, I cried. Mainly cried. I can’t remember the last time a book made me weep so. the movie might actually be good. Looks like decent casting.

i've also read anita shreve's the pilot's wife and body surfing. i found them pretty meh. not worth the raves that lead me to purchase them.

just tried to attempt Judy Budnitz’s collection of short stories, Flying Leap. the first two stories seriously disturbed me. i had to put it down. i don't think i'm in the proper frame o'mind.

and *drumroll please* ... I finally joined a book club! I’m so excited! The first book is and then we came to the end, which I tried to read months ago, and couldn’t get thru. (it started out great and funny – kinda like the office - and then got boring and sad.) but I’m going to give it another shot.

Quick question: anyone use any book swap sites? I think I remember bookmooch being mentioned here? Any reviews? Some of them look complicated. Alas, I must needs trim my reading budget somehow. (I feel bad not supporting authors with my $$$, though. but something's gotta give.)

sassy, have you read The Story of Edgar Sawtellei yet? i know someone who's having a hard time getting thru that one.

bunnyluv, we shall be expecting much juicy detail re The Neil signing!
crazyoldcatlady
mando, i use bookmooch. as a matter of fact, i just received a copy of the sun also rises in the mail today. (i've decided to give hemingway one last chance; this one's all about drunken debauchery, which is what i'm about, so in theory i should like it). but yeah, i've never had a problem with bookmooch.

and also, my old roomie read my sisters keeper and bawled. just bawled. i came home and she was sobbing, held up the book, and said "this is a great book, read it!"
anna k
I signed up on the book trading website bookins.com, and will get two books in the mail, which I'll save for my vacation next week: The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (an old-fashioned ghost story) and Personal Velocity, a book of short stories by Rebecca Miller.
bunnyb
Let me know what you think of The Thirteenth Tale, anna_k, I read it last month and really enjoyed it (which reminds me that I need to blog about it as didn't have time before moving). I also read Rebecca Miller's novel. The Private Lives of Pippa Lee over the summer and loved it; I'm definitely interested in reading more of her work so let me know about the short stories too!

I'm in a quandary over what to read next wacko.gif . I'm not sure if I want creepy anymore but definitely want gripping. If I actually narrow it down to choices rather than anything unread on the bookshelves then I may post them in here.
kari
Faeire....what's The Good Thief about? I have heard of it, but don't know the plot.

And My Sister's Keeper?

My bookclub is looking for a new book. Anyone got suggestions of a compelling book that appeals to different types of people? Nobody really liked the last book we read, and bookclub kind of disbanded for a while. So we feel like we need a good one next, to draw us all back in.

Mando....I am about 2/3 of the way through Voyager, I think I might take a breather after that. Hopefully it will be a good stopping point. I couldn't quit after Outlander or Dragonfly in Amber. I love Jamie (of course!) and Claire too.
bunnyb
I decided to read The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins although I already feel that I maybe should have read it years ago, before I read Fingersmith rolleyes.gif.

kari, what about The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini? I think it's won book club awards for exactly the reason you seek: it's a compelling read, which appeals to different types of people and should generate a good discussion.

I have an amusing anecdote (I think) about that book: the boy's aunt really wanted to read it after hearing good things from the boy's mum and wanted to borrow my copy before going on holiday. Anyway, I didn't have a chance to see her before she went so she persuaded her son to buy it for her husband for father's day, which was just before they left. Anyway, the boy's uncle isn't a huge reader and this was a completely self-serving gift idea as she thought that he wouldn't look at it and she'd get to read it; what she didn't count on was the boy's uncle deciding to read it and loving it and, as yet, she still hasn't had a chance to read it herself. Hee, karma.
tommynomad
I could have sworn I posted to this thread last week. Must be posting in my sleep.

It's a bit embarrassing, but I got caught in a conversation about comic books ("graphic novels" to the other guy--they are so NOT novels), and ended up reading a few. I'd grown up with Asterix by Goscinny & Uderzo, Suske & Wiske by Willy Vandersteen, Paling & Ko by Ilbanez, and the Smurfs by Peyo, so I had some inkling.

Here's what I grabbed from the library before I figured out they have a $1 carriage fee for bringing in books from other branches:

Sandman, by Neil Gaiman - it was cute, the way he retells well-known myths. But I think I have to read his novels to understand what the fuss is all about.

Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis - this is a bizarre Neuromancer rip-off, but has its charms. Specifically Spider, who I want to hate but am eerily drawn to.

Preacher by Garth Innis - another weird one. It almost looks like one of those evangelical comics on the cover. Then you open it and the preacher is swearing and talking about his hard-on. The Irish vampire is a great character, and the comeuppance motif is appealing. The ex-gf sidekick Tulip is one of the very few female characters I've encountered in comics who didn't make me ill with stereotypical malaise.

Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware - when, oh when is american lit. going to slip out of its love affair with the bleak experiences of the everyman? Bleah.
(just kidding, I know there's lots of great amlit out there, but when it slips back into Willy Loman, I'm gone.)

Blankets by Craig Ringwalt Thompson - ok, THIS was beautiful. Anyone who grew up in a crazy church, or fell in love as a young teen, will love this book. Great art, to boot.

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind by Miyazaki Hayao - I'd seen a couple of his movies, but this was the first book. Really gorgeous art, and the man has 100x the imagination of the guys who are rehashing superhero stories over and over.

Tank Girl by Jamie Hewlitt - I really wanted to love it, but I just found it dull. Good characters, good writing, but overall, like the luch I make for myself when I'm in a hurry: satisfying, but doesn't give me a kick (maybe I should make better lunches?).

Buddha by Osamu Tezuka - who'd have thought Bodhisattva was so kickass?

Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue - great atmospheric art: Inoue really relies on the pictures to tell the story. Pity it's not much of a story, though I appreciate the historicity of it.

Fagin the Jew by Will Eisner - very entertaining, and contains a wonderful criticism of Dickens by Fagin at the end of the book.

The Plot: The Secret Story of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion by Will Eisner - BRILLIANT. Eisner once and for all destroys the myth of this abominable book. Maybe if authors and artists teamed up to write more nonfiction, more kids would read nonfiction.

Has anyone read Girl Genius by Phil & Kaja Folio? That's one I'm interested to see.

After a recommendation from Jeremy Harmer (woot!), I picked up: A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers by Xiaolu Guo [img]http://images.ciao.com/iuk/images/products/normal/565/product-6646565.jpg[/img]
Guo was an accomplished filmmaker and writer in China before she travelled to Britain. I'm only a few chapters in, but I read until my eyes were dried and crackly last night.
girltrouble
i see what you mean about jimmy corrigan, but i luuuuuuuuuve chris ware. he's a comic book artist's comic book artist. i don't think most people would like him because very little happens in his work, it's lots of navel gazing and a kazillion panels, he does get into that willy loman territory, but i think it's closer to the sort of hand wringing that you find in chekhov, more than that.

visually-- and i think that is the prime virtue of chris ware comics-- he is a clearlinist, a style of comics, that is usually European. think of tintin, and you have a clear idea of that aesthetic. it's about conveying things without shading, and in a draughtsman like clean inked line, nothing extra. it's pure, clean, and it's got it's own kind of pace, and meditates on the mundane.

you might want to check out the comics thread, tommy, there are a lot of good graphic novels tongue.gif there. i think you might want to try some manga, akira is phenominal, and oldboy is as interesting as the korean movie i'm sure you're familiar. there is a lot of good stuff, but the best place is always going to a comeek book store and talking to the people working there-- they read everything, and they can separate the wheat from the chaffe.

i don't usually post in this thread since, well i generally read film theory or graphic novels but since we have no poetry thread, and i thought this was a place that would appreciate it, since it's kind of a book geek's poem:

'The Book of my Enemy Has Been Remaindered'
Clive James

The book of my enemy has been remaindered
And I am pleased.
In vast quantities it has been remaindered
Like a van-load of counterfeit that has been seized
And sits in piles in a police warehouse,
My enemy's much-prized effort sits in piles
In the kind of bookshop where remaindering occurs.
Great, square stacks of rejected books and, between them, aisles
One passes down reflecting on life's vanities,
Pausing to remember all those thoughtful reviews
Lavished to no avail upon one's enemy's book --
For behold, here is that book
Among these ranks and banks of duds,
These ponderous and seeminly irreducible cairns
Of complete stiffs.

And I rejoice.
It has gone with bowed head like a defeated legion
Beneath the yoke.
What avail him now his awards and prizes,
The praise expended upon his meticulous technique,
His individual new voice?
Knocked into the middle of next week
His brainchild now consorts with the bad buys
The sinker, clinkers, dogs and dregs,
The Edsels of the world of moveable type,
The bummers that no amount of hype could shift,
The unbudgeable turkeys.

Yea, his slim volume with its understated wrapper
Bathes in the blare of the brightly jacketed Hitler's War Machine,
His unmistakably individual new voice
Shares the same scrapyart with a forlorn skyscraper
Of The Kung-Fu Cookbook,
His honesty, proclaimed by himself and believed by others,
His renowned abhorrence of all posturing and pretense,
Is there with Pertwee's Promenades and Pierrots--
One Hundred Years of Seaside Entertainment,
And (oh, this above all) his sensibility,
His sensibility and its hair-like filaments,
His delicate, quivering sensibility is now as one
With Barbara Windsor's Book of Boobs,
A volume graced by the descriptive rubric
"My boobs will give everyone hours of fun".

Soon now a book of mine could be remaindered also,
Though not to the monumental extent
In which the chastisement of remaindering has been meted out
To the book of my enemy,
Since in the case of my own book it will be due
To a miscalculated print run, a marketing error--
Nothing to do with merit.
But just supposing that such an event should hold
Some slight element of sadness, it will be offset
By the memory of this sweet moment.
Chill the champagne and polish the crystal goblets!
And I am glad.

crazyoldcatlady
tommy, that's an awesome breakdown of graphic novels. i've always heard the praises sung, and really didn't understand the pull til i recently got comic book tattoo (graphic novelization of tori amos songs) and was knocked out. not to mention persepolis. i'll have to check out the ones you favoured.
tommynomad
girltrouble, is that the same Clive James who used to host the show "Postcards?" It certainly sound slike him!

I love the way your described Chris Ware. Just b/c he's not my style doesn't mean he's not a genius.
Where is the comics thread, though?

I live with 3 fans of manga, so there's always lots around. I'll check out Akira.

My next two to read are Maus and V for Vendetta, but they'll have to wait until tomorrow: after the morning online fix, I'm diving straight back into Guo's novel.
girltrouble
there are actually two comics threads:
newer
and
older.

and absolutely. just because he's a genious doesn't mean you have to like him either. lol.

i posted something for you in the new thread-- a quick (incomplete) off the top of my head list for you to check out.

did i mention, it's always great to see you around here?

and yeah, that clive james. i love that poem it's so funny.
bunnyb
I heart girlbomb for this.
MissE13
I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about the Feminist Press. Generally, I'm totally behind them and their mission, but I've also read some persuasive arguments that the Feminist Press kind of...not "suppresses" but...doesn't further acceptance of Lesbians. (The article I read was specifically about We Walk Alone, which, according to the article I read, was written by a self-hating Lesbian. And sorry: no link—this article was written by an old friend of mine.)

So...thoughts? Is publishing a historic piece of literature which serves to further negative views on any minority group helpful to the feminist movement? Or is it necessary to embrace everything from our collective female past, including self-hate and body issues, etc., in order to move past them?
anna k
I finished The Best American Short Stories of 2008, which had a great collection of work in there, especially "Man and Wife" by Katie Chase, (a suburban cult where nine-year old girls marry middle-aged men), "The Year of Silence" by Kevin Brockmeier (bursts of silence in a city that lead people to making their everyday lives quieter), "Child's Play" by Alice Munro (a mentally retarded girl), "The Worst You Ever Feel" by Rebecca Makkai (a Romanian refugee staying with a young girl's family), and "Quality of Life," by Christine Sneed (a young woman's strange relationship with an older sugar daddy-type).

I just started Jennifer Egan's Look at Me, and am so far interested in it, especially the characters of the two Charlottes and Moose.

I finished Personal Velocity, and liked a few of the stories in it, but not a lot of them. Mostly the ones about Greta and Delia. The others weren't as memorable, and I couldn't stand Louise, I thought she was self-absorbed and boring.
auralpoison
I nearly peed myself when I read that Clive James poem a while back!

I read my first Christopher Moore book on the plane. It was cute & clever & not really my thing, but a good vacation read.

I almost bought that BASSo2008 in the airport, now I'm kicking myself that I didn't.

I found a really nice used copy of Middlesex @ the used bookstore, so I am rereading it right now.
roquelaure
i'm pretty convinced i'm going to hell for the amount of laughing-until-tears i did while reading "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" by Christopher Moore. good lord (no pun intended). love, love, LOVE him. which one did you read, out of curiousity?

i've had some serious book AD/HD lately. i can only read about one chapter of something then i get bored and move on to something else, and do the same thing. it's so hard to find a good old fashioned page turner these days that doesn't insult one's intelligence, spoon feed you the story, or have some sort of poorly veiled plot twist. and i've also discovered to my amazement and shame that i really do not like anything written by women. it's always way too whiney, way too pretentious, or way too preachy no matter what the story/essay/poem/play/whatever is about.

i feel like i should be beaten with a box of tampons for feeling that way. sad.gif
auralpoison
I already know I'm going to hell, so I'll read what I like. To wit: Just be true to yourself, if it lands you in hell at least now you know.

"A Dirty Job", Roq. Our bookstore isn't the greatest, I bought it because I thought the cover art was amusing & it glowed in the dark. "Lamb" is next on my Moore list.

Have you ever read "The Dress Lodger" by Sheri Holman, Roq? I am a fan of historical novels & it's a good one.

I finally broke down & bought "Twilight" tonight. Everybody keeps pushing it on me & even though I think vamps are tired, I bought it for $3, whatevs.
faerietails
i'm gonna have to get Lamb. sounds like my kind of humor. lol

ap, i too am holding out on twilight. i just can't bring myself to go there. (kind of like harry potter)
sassygrrl
Lamb is great. I saw Moore give a talk about it when the new Bible-themed edition came out last Christmas. I got the You Suck and A Dirty Job signed. He's as funny in person as he is as an author. I'd love to recommend it as a Christmas book for my book club. smile.gif

I finally got around to reading Twilight. Whatev.

I'm getting around to reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle finally. It's a little slow in the beginning, but a pretty good read. It reminds me of early Steinbeck. I'm a little pissed that Oprah took it for her book club. Also, In The Woods is a very good Irish mystery. I haven't read Middlesex in a very long time, but I liked it.

lananans
sassy - you didnt' like twilight??? I got to it before it became huge, and I liked it. I admit I may have had a different attitude if I read it AFTER>..

OOOooooo --- Aural --- I read the Dress Lodger -- it was good!!!! Reccomend any other historical novels that are good?

I just took out a copy of "Certain Girls" by Jennifer Weiner from work -- I Work at a bookstore and we're allowed to take out books for two weeks as long as we return them in original condition --- it's just a fun chick-lit book I can read in a day, before my next shift -- has anyone read it, or the pre-quel "Good in Bed"??

anna k
I finished Look at Me, and found it too convoluted and confusing. I just lost interest in most of the characters except for the younger Charlotte, Moose, and Michael West, and even then the characters seemed unreal and ridiculous to me.

I read Certain Girls. It's an entertaining, good read, same writing style as Good in Bed.
lananans
Thanks anna-- I'll read it tomorrow and let you know what I think! And if I come across any other really good ones I'll let you all know... for now we just sell about 25 copies of the Twilight/New Moon/Eclipse/Breaking Dawn a day... hard for anything else to really stand out...
tesao
i'm in need of some new directions in terms of reading. i loved middlesex, really hated for it to end, i was so involved with the characters.

we need to talk about kevin was good but difficult. the author handled a tough subject with grace.

the book thief was awkward for me at the beginning, but as people here said, after a while i got used to the style. i'm glad that i read it, but it wasn't a huge page turner for me.

lamb, the gospel according to biff (jesus' best friend) was HYSTERICAL. i literally laughed out loud many a time. i can only think of one other book that had that effect on me in - oh, say - 20 years? equal opportunity snarking.....i don't think that there is ANYONE that moore doesn't make offensive comments about.

so, busties, any thoughts? muito thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.