Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'Looks Like We Got Ourselves a Reader...'
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
Persiflager
Another late reply for girl_logic - I really liked Tamora Pierce's fantasy books, especially the Alanna (Song of the Lioness) and Wild Magic quartets.
WasabiNinja
I just finished Nightwatch by Sergei Lukyanenko, it was awesome. Now, I want to read them all.

I'm going to check out this Heather Mcelhatton since two Busties gave it the seal of approval.
girl_logic
Sorry for disappearing - my computer got cooties. Thanks for the help everyone.

AP thanks a lot for the link it's a good one. I have access to tons of lists through my work but I usually find them kind of patronizing (hence the search for personal Bustie recommends) Anyway I really like that one you posted.

Thanks Persiflager! I forgot about the Alana books. And the Golden Compass, natch.

Kari--the whole "yellow...for the sunshine we never saw...." was a running joke between my sister, me and my best friend for about 5 years after we'd all read the series.

I was hoping for personally loved Bustie recommends because - well for example, my favourite books at 12 and 13 (and to this day) were Astrid Lindgren's The Brother's Lionheart and Micheal Ende's Neverending Story. And the thing about those is they don't make Good Books for Girls lists because they're about little boys. Even though they're brilliant and girls love them, it isn't fashionable to recommend them to girls at the moment. Most standard lists feel a bit preachy and well-intentioned, but lacking and almost dishonest in a way, you know what I mean?

OMFG Miss Risk????? (sorry I had to get that out) Lady, how are you? Nightwatch, I didn't read it, but I was blown away by the film version of Nightwatch, and Daywatch. I didn't know there was a book too, that's exciting.
HotRodLibrarian
If you are still interested in Teenage books, Melina Marchetta's books are really nice, especially Looking for Alibrandi
What books are everyone halfway through at the moment???
I am in the middle of two books, Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts which is the size of a brick so I had to start another one to get me through my recent travel, American Scream about the comedien Bill Hicks.
girl_logic
A buddy of mine was just telling me about Bill Hicks (his idol). The guy is intriguing, in that walking time-bomb way of the highly intelligent and contrary.
auralpoison
Bill Hicks was a fucking genius. I'm glad the link worked for you, I thought it was a pretty good list, too.

I've read that Eat Me book, I'm guessing I didn't like it much as all I can really remember is the naughty hookup with the trucker & the opening scene of the woman masturbating in the grocery store. I couldn't eat strawberries or figs for weeks after. *shudders*

HotRodLibrarian
I think it was just that opening grocery store bit that stuck with me!!! Lets just say I had to take myself off to a quiet place after reading that!!!
crazyoldcatlady
i'm looking for a book embosser (it took me forever to figure out what they're called-- it's the gadget thingy that makes a raised emblem on a book page that says "from the library of so-and-so").

anyone have one or can direct me to one that doesn't suck?
auralpoison
eBay has a few cheap ones, COCL. But I've never had one, so I dunno. Maybe go to a Staples or something to get a feel for the physical quality of the goods?

I like that your avatar's ass spews rainbows of kitty love. It made me smile.

I love used books. I went used book crazy!

My Mistress's Sparrow Is Dead: Great Love Stories, from Chekhov to Munro by Jeffrey Eugenides
Today: 101 Ghazals by Suzanne Gardinier
Now You See Him by Eli Gottlieb
Trauma by Patrick McGrath
The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian
What Happened to Anna K.: A Novel by Irina Reyn
Anagrams by Lorrie Moore
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
Between the Bridge and the River by Craig Ferguson
stargazer
COCL, I found this cool Book Embosser online. I know there are also stamps and stickers to use as well. I've been wanting to get a book embosser for years. Good to know I'm not the only geek here! smile.gif
epinephrine
Has anyone here read Perfume by Patrick Suskind? I read it a few months ago, so it's not really fresh in my mind, but I liked it a lot. Being an English major, though, I couldn't stop myself from trying to deconstruct it and analyze it, and I just felt like I was missing something. I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts on it. One of my lit teachers talked about it and said he loved it and that the movie paled in comparison, but I thought the movie was amazing. I loved how they translated all that exhaustive description of sensory events into incredibly lush and vivid cinematography. I also saw the movie before I read the book, so it may just be a primacy thing.

How about Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson? Has anyone here read that? It's my all-time favourite book, written by a BC first nations author, and it's absolutely gorgeous and so powerful. It was shortlisted for a literary prize, a Booker or Giller or something, I don't remember which, but nobody seems to have heard of it. I saw it on my parents' bookshelf several years back and then I saw it at the college bookstore, which meant it was being taught in a class, so I thought it might be an interesting read. It totally blew me away, and since then I've read it 3 or 4 more times and it still blows me away every time. So I took the First Nations lit class that teaches it this year and spent 2 months just dissecting it and thinking about it for hours and hours. It just blends the surreal with the real (and the very gritty) so naturally and beautifully, and I find it really gets into your unconscious. I find myself thinking about it constantly.
auralpoison
Oh, that's one I need to re-read. I loved it. I couldn't shut up about it for six months. Then In Utero dropped & I got all excited because I actually knew what a Nirvana song was about. Never got around to seeing the film, though, conscious decision. I knew with a book that lush in my mind I'd never be able to get that into the movie.
auralpoison
Great googly moogly. I finished that Pessl book finally. What an overwrought load of shite. It meanders along; Blue, her relationship with her charismatic father, her school, her inclusion in the Bluebloods, her teacher, etc. The last hundred or so pages it turns into something else entirely, it becomes this suicide-y, quick getaway conspiracy theorist thing. I really have no idea what the hell it was all about.

I just know it will now stop haunting me at night that it lay unfinished.

Today: 101 Ghazals by Suzanne Gardinier is stunningly beautiful. If you don't know what a ghazal is, it's a style of poetry about the pain of loss/separation & the beauty of love despite the pain. Somehow it just seemed really appropriate yesterday & it was. Stunning.
anna k
I went to a book club tonight where we talked about American Pyscho. I've only seen the film, but liked listening to their commentary on the 80's yuppie world, being bored and disposable, everyone mistaken for one another, Patrick's brief moments of humanity ("Maybe I won't kill her tonight"), and even the character of Sean Bateman in The Rules of Attraction.

Next up is The Book Thief, and I adored that book, so I'm excited about that one.

I'd like to read Perfume, it looks very interesting. And I like how you wrote about Monkey Beach, epinethrine. It seems like I mostly read short story collections these days and am not always as well-read as I'd like to be.
thirteen
These books presently call to me the most:

Secure the Shadow: Death and Photography in America by Jay Ruby
Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens
The Letters of Virginia Woolf (all of 'em!)
and
Watership Down by Richard Adams

Right now, Russian Fairy Tales by Aleksandr Afanasev is holding my interest captive. Great, strange, violent stuff, plus magnificent illustrations.

How wonderful & comforting books are. Be still my heart!! smile.gif
girl_logic
QUOTE(thirteen @ Jun 10 2009, 05:32 PM) *
Right now, Russian Fairy Tales by Aleksandr Afanasev is holding my interest captive. Great, strange, violent stuff, plus magnificent illustrations.

How wonderful & comforting books are. Be still my heart!! smile.gif

Yay for beautiful fairy tales. My favourites are the Yellow, Blue, Lilac (etc) series of fairy books. Very lush stories.

My other favourite was a gift from my mom when I was 8 or so, Tatterhood and other tales, woman focused stories. It doesn't have the traditional darkness though. Illustrations make all the difference.
thirteen
girl_logic, I had not ever heard of the fairy tales you mentioned, so I looked them up and they have all received marvellous reviews. Will be searching for them next time I visit the bookstore! Which one (Yellow, Blue, Lilac, &c.) do you consider the best?

Gosh, I love books. biggrin.gif
annabananahannahmontana
i'm starting to read milk sulphate and alby starvation by martin millar. i read lonely werewolf girl by him too which is pretty good, probably one of the better books i've read in a while, but it's really super long.
girl_logic
Hi Thirteen - honestly it's been a while since I read them - what I liked best were the victorian woodcut illustrations. What I liked least and had forgotten about until I picked up the Brown book last night, were the broad "old timey" touches of racism and sexism in old versions of fairy tales. My mind went into a revisionist whirl!

I've been enjoying alternative fairytales lately. I just finished The Witch's Boy and gave Fairest a spin. Both are good Young Adult reads. The Witch's Boy actually drew a small tear.

Lonely Werewolf Girl sounds intriguing annabanana would you recommend it for 13 year olds?
annabananahannahmontana
for a mature thirteen year old, maybe. there's a fair ammount of sex and violence in it, about a pg-13 i would say but there's also some pop-culture references they might not get.
anna k
I just started Jancee Dunn's novel Don't You Forget About Me, about a woman in her late thirties who moves back in with her parents following a divorce. So far it's light and funny, and I like Dunn from her memoir of being a writer for Rolling Stone and her general personality, She has a new book of essays out that I'm excited to read.

I also took out from the library short stories by Flannery O'Connor and Banana Yoshimoto. I've already read their work, but wanted to read stories by them that I don't know.
MsKissyStarfish
I'm just starting Spook Country by William Gibson, it looks like it will be a good read. Though I get very little reading time these days. smile.gif
MissB
Since being helplessly unemployed this summer (and forever) I find myself going to my coffee house and reading a whole book in one night in the span of three hours! Good majority of them are lesbian pulp fiction; and they've just depressed the sh*t out of me. Oh well, as that Gaelic saying goes "Remember the (wo)men from whence you came." So far this summer this is what I got...

Twilight Girl by Della Martin (4.25 stars)
Three Women by March Hastings (5 stars, the only happy ending one I've read so far)
 First Half of Sapphos Leap by Erica Jong (finishing it very soon)
Kiss the Girls and Make Them Spy by Mabel Maney (5 + stars!!! Love this book!)
The Case of the Not-So Nice Nurse by Mabel Maney (Same as above, she's my new favorite author)
Lois Lenz, Lesbian Secretary by Monica Nolan (4.99 stars)
Twilight Girls by Paula Christian (2 stars, the first book in the two-part novel is really great but you'll be disappointed)
Just tonight I finished The Girls in 3-B by Valerie Taylor, it really wasn't that good so I give it 2 stars

What's on the book shelf now? Well, I'm gonna read my own personal copy of A Woman Appeared To Me by my muse and heroine Renee Vivien, gonna read my favorite book "Baby Precious Always Shines" (a collection of letters between Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas), The Trials of Radclyffe Hall by Diana Souhami, small book of poems by Marvin Bell (a local poet), and a collection of short stories by Alisa Surkis and Monica Nolan called The Big Book of Lesian Horse Stories. Gonna read Kiss The Girls again.

lananans
I just started "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and it's amazing! Has anyone else read it? I know it's gotten a lot of press, which is why I picked it up actually, but it is not disappointing!
WasabiNinja
(((Hey Lady Logic))) I'm decent how bout you?

Mable Maney's books have tantalizing titles, I shall be on the lookout.

In the past week I have read 'I'm Down' by Mishna Wolff which was great, but way too short in my opinion. Hopefully, there will be a sequel at some point. I just finished 'The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao' by Junot Diaz and though I did struggle with the Spanish in the beginning, towards the end I had it down. I recommend both! smile.gif

I am attempting to read 'The Shock Doctrine; The Rise of Disaster Capitalism' by Naomi Klein, but it is not the ideal summer read. It is more like something you'd read in January while listening to hours of Nick Drake, drinking cheap red wine because your broke dammitt, and none of your pants fit.

I want to read something sexy. Where do you go when you need some dirty recommendations? BUST of course!

You've never let me down yet.
sybarite
Wasabininja, I got nothin' on the dirty books front except some old Erica Jong, sorry.

Lananans, I just read a recommendation of that book two days ago; glad to hear it's so good!

So I'm planning my holiday reading: so far that's on my list, along with F Scott Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night. I am bringing along Jameson on globalisation but am not sure if I'll actually read it... any other fiction suggestions are welcome as always (except YA, sorry, not really a fan).
sassygrrl
Wasabininja, I don't have any dirty books. I'm glad you liked the books you read, and another Nick Drake fan! smile.gif

Lana, I love "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." I picked it much like you did, but I'm enjoying it thus far. I may go back and re-read HP before the movie. I've forgotten a lot of what happened.
bustygirl
Just got "Everything Matters" by Ron Currie Jr. on my indie bookstore lady's recommendation. Haven't gotten to read past the first chapter yet, but that first chapter was stunning.
lananans
sassy- I was also thinking about re-reading HP before the movie comes out. I always forget things that happen, and re-reading Harry Potter is always a blast because they're just soooo good.

I just finished the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo -- just as good at the end as at the beginning!

Next I might pick up "The Flying Troutmans" - my mom read it and lent it to me. It's not something I would have picked up on my own, but maybe I'll like it... anyone read it?
anna k
epinephrine, I just started Perfume today, and so far I really like it. It's very arresting and interesting.

Jancee Dunn's book was good, more of a light pleasant read, even if I didn't like the main character for being so immature and childish at age 38. I read one of the stories in Banana Yoshimoto's book, and one of the stories in Flannery O'Connor's book. I didn't get into them as much as I thought I would.
dolor
When John Updike died... this year,
I heard that the Rabbit quartet captured his claim to greatness (yes?), so...
I'm about 1/3 into the first book, _Rabbit, run_.

His technique & stage setting are excellent, better than I recalled.
As for the story, the jury (me) is out.

I assume that Updike looks down upon this fellow, Harry,
and I'm not sure how that will evolve, what it will come to...
annabananahannahmontana
reading blonde roots by bernardine evaristo. interesting so far.
MissB
While ts a rarity, I think every woman should read "A Woman Appeared to Me"... it's brilliant!!! Well for anyone who likes Virginia Woolf-like angst and wordy sentences. Finished the lesbian horses book... some of them weren't that bad, I wish they were longer! So sickeningly cheesy and cliche but what do you expect from that genre?

WasabiNinja... Mable Maney rocks my face. Unfortunately only those two books are at my local public library but I'm trusting fate that I'll find more. I bought the Lori Lenz Lesbian secretary book yesterday. Turns out my friend owned that book and wanted to let me borrow and read it. Oh the irony.
Soonia
I just finished Another Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick Flynn and The Tender Bar by JR Moehringer. They made a bit of a depressing read back to back, but they were both stupendous, particularly if you like gritty memoirs (which I do, and which they are)

WasabiNinja -- I just ordered that same naomi klein book from amazon, though I'm already having second thoughts. smile.gif You're right, it just doesn't seem very summer reading-y. We'll see, though.
anna k
Just finished Perfume. It's such a fantastic book, so visceral with the descriptions of scents and 18th century France, and the detailed minor characters. The ending was bizarre and seemed unreal at times, I just felt like shrugging at times and going "Okay, if that's how the writer wants it."

I want to read The Day of the Jackal next, it sounds exciting to read.
sassygrrl
Started [i]The Thirteenth Tale[i]. What a great book. It's been a perfect book lately, b/c it's been raining here for about a week. I needed a good Gothic read. Also finished [i]Girl with the Dragon Tattoo[i] which was awesome.

sassygrrl
QUOTE(sassygrrl @ Aug 2 2009, 12:31 PM) *
Started [i]The Thirteenth Tale[i]. What a great book. It's been a perfect book lately, b/c it's been raining here for about a week. I needed a good Gothic read. Also finished [i]Girl with the Dragon Tattoo[i] which was awesome.

oops... second post.
mandolyn
i loved the thirteenth tale. and i'm not even a gothic/mystery fan.

My summer reading thus far:

The Disappearance of Irene Dos Santos by Margaret Mascarenhas interesting premise, wonderful characters, sort of felt gypped by the ending, tho. actually, i'm not sure i even understood the ending.

Dear American Airlines: A Novel by Jonathan Miles funny + depressing. Loved the premise, since I pride myself on my hundreds of letters Ill never send (and have only written in my head).

2nd Chance (Women's Murder Club #2) by James Patterson predictably meh. i've officially given up on the series.

Odd Hours (Odd Thomas Novel, Book 4) another great series down the drain. damn him.

Driving Sideways: A Novel by Jess Riley omg, jess riley is my new favorite author! Right up there with nick Hornby for tons of quotable lines. I borrowed it from the library, but Im going to buy it because I need to own this book. Excellent characters, perfect-pitch dialogue and how can you miss with a road-trip story? I cant gush enough!

Eat, Pray, Love loved Italy, got bored mid-India, couldnt deal with Indonesia at all. LOVE her voice, wish shed write a novel.

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein silly title, wonderful bittersweet book. Helps if you love dogs & car racing, but not a prerequisite.

Now Im reading *heavy sigh* New Moon. Because:
- I have to. Im a longtime vampire fan. (um, since before Robert Pattinson was born.)
- i actually do want to see the movie(s). if only for the vindication.
- Im a masochist.

But then Ill wash the bad taste of bad writing outta my head with the American wife.
girl_logic
QUOTE(mandolyn @ Aug 3 2009, 03:03 PM) *
[color=#0000FF]...
Now Im reading *heavy sigh* New Moon. Because:
- I have to. Im a longtime vampire fan. (um, since before Robert Pattinson was born.)
- i actually do want to see the movie(s). if only for the vindication.
- Im a masochist....

haha i know your pain. but honestly i could not even get through the first one, i will be watching all the movies though. have you tried the sookie stackhouse series?

lananans
sassy -- I also just read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Thirteenth Tale! They were really great.

I just finished Beloved by Toni Morrison, and I'm about to start "The Wilderness" by Samantha Harvey - it was longlisted for the Man Booker prize, I'm trying to read as many of them as I can this year!!

Mandolyn - I must confess, I've read all of Twilight, last summer ... I couldn't put them down! And girl - I love Sookie Stackhouse!
mandolyn
are the true blood books any good? i wouldn't mind giving them a try, i'm a major TB fan!

i'm only 60 pgs into twilight, and it's already a struggle. feh. maybe i'll just watch the movies.

lananans, 95% of my friends/fam are twilight fans, and i do wish i could be. i can even forgive the hack writing - hel-LO? i'm a koontz fan! - if it weren't for the character of bella annoying the bejezus outta me.
epinephrine
So far this summer I've read:

The Chronicles of Narnia (with the exception of The Magician's Nephew, my favourite, which my brother borrowed and lost shortly after I scored an older edition of the box set for a ridiculously awesome price. Typical.)

Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs

The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan

1984 by George Orwell

Dry by Augusten Burroughs

I got about 80 pages into Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities and just couldn't get into it. I eventually forsook it for Jane Austen's Emma, which I'm loving. I'd completely forgotten that the movie Clueless was based on it - I'm having a lot of fun remembering the movie as I read it. There are so many classics I haven't read - I'm going to try to stick with classics for the rest of the summer. I've got a list somewhere of books I plan to read - I'll post it when I find it.

Has anyone here read Julie and Julia by Julie Powell? I know how awful the movie looks, but seriously, the book is awesome and totally worth a read. I devoured it this winter (no pun intended) and absolutely loved it. She's got a great, breezy style, with that dry, sarcastic, New York sense of humour and a swaggering flamboyantness that kind of reminded me of Anthony Bourdain (only seething with estrogen instead of testosterone). It's just a really fun read that deserves to be on anyone's summer book list.
thirteen
After hearing lots of praise for the film Let the Right One In, I decided to read the book it was based on. My friend let me borrow it on Wednesday night, and I finished reading it on Thursday evening. Sort of predictable in some places, but definitely not bad at all-- quite enjoyable. Not for those who feel faint easily, however!-- it is often extremely violent, disturbing. The love story between Oskar and Eli was sweet though & there were several very funny, well-written sentences that made me think, "This is quite good writing." At other moments, certain paragraphs struck me as clunky.

13 gives this book 7.5 out of 10 stars!

Next I want to read Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens.

TheBeesKnees
Wow, thirteen! That was like, mean to be...I was popping into this thread thinking about asking if anyone has read that. I haven't yet, but having seen the movie [and hearing that there is quite a bit that they left out], I thought about checking it out to fill in the blanks. Have you also seen the movie? In spite of what they may have left out, I very much enjoyed the movie, although it may help that I saw the movie first.

Epine: I read everything by Amy Tan [at that point] a few years ago [which means I haven't yet gotten to Saving Fish from Drowning], and I really enjoy her.

Mand: I also want to smack Bella. Lots. Makes me wish Twilight vamps were as easy to kill as Buffy vamps...yikes...

My sister asked me today if I knew that the writer was a stay-at-home mom, etc., etc., and we launched into a discussion on how I read those [all four], and I sort of enjoyed them at first, but the repetition pretty much killed it for me.
thirteen
TheBeesKnees: No, I actually have not seen the movie (Let the Right One In) yet-- and desperately want to, as it is supposed to be absolutely wonderful! Am not sure, but this might be a rare case of the film version triumphing over the book. Usually the book is superior, in my opinion.

Added to my wish-list of books to read: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (who also wrote The Virgin Suicides, which was beautiful, dark and funny).

I've also become a fanatic about anything written by Evelyn Waugh. Vile Bodies was hilarious-- intelligent, scathing, full of black humour. Highly recommended!
kari
epiniphrine - My book group read Julie & Julia a while back. I enjoyed it, mostly b/c I love to cook. I am really interested to see Meryl Streep in the movie, but not sure I can handle the rest. I usually love Amy Adams, but maybe not in this role. Hmmm.

I just read a really good book. It's called Pictures at an Exhibition. Focuses on a young man in Paris in the 30s & 40s and the looting of French art galleries by the Nazis. Very well written and quite compelling.

Right now I'm reading this book called The Alienst. My coworker recommended it. I'm only on about page 50, but so far so good.
crazyoldcatlady
*finally* been able to immerse myself in my willing stack of books. i think i just maxed out on other media forms of entertainment.

polished off a thousand splendid suns. the author is at once lyrical and succinct.

working on chuck klosterman's sex, drugs and cocoa puffs. it's keeping me up at night ("just one more chapter...") 'cos i've had a lady boner for klosterman for a while now.

next is a bargain bin f. scott fitzgerald short story compilation, and a quasi-fluff chick-lit-that-got-good-reviews memoir, the devil, the lovers and me: my life in tarot.

(epi: i love tan, orwell, burroughs. i feel like amazon.com here... if you love these three, you'll love: nora okira keller, aldous huxley, david sedaris.)
culturehandy
Kari, The Alienist is the one by Caleb Carr?? excellent book.
anna k
I just started reading Francesca Lia Block's Quakeland. She's a comfort read for me, I just love her writing.

I read some of Nicole Krauss' The History of Love, and really enjoy her prose and characterizations. Her main character Leo reminds me of both the artist Henry Darger and the main character of 100 Years of Solitude.
crosby
thirteen, Middlesex is a fantastic book. I personally preferred it to Virgin Suicides.

I just read the Reader and now I'm really excited to see the movie. Has anybody else read it? It was nearly impossible for me to put down, so I finished it really quickly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.