Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'Looks Like We Got Ourselves a Reader...'
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
ginger_kitty
Okay, I already finished the Good Body. It's short and flowed really well so I knocked it out quickly. It was really thought provoking. I just wish it had contained more stories.
mornington
hmm, wandering off-topic, but... I found the bbc articles about the protests. The majority of the protesters haven't read the book, or read it from cover-to-cover, which just irritates me. But... the protesters seem to be saying that the book portrays the sylheti bangladeshi in a negative light; yes, it does, but I thought it wasn't exagerating the problems within the community. No, the portrait wasn't flattering by any means, and the protesters do have a point (also, I think the book was set in the early ninties? which changes things) but I think it did show that there are good people, as well as bad. I really am going to have to re-read Brick Lane before I start rambling any more.

I'm starting The Historian today.
punkerplus
Hee, mornington, we really are working our way through the richard and judy "summer reads" aren't we? After finishing the abortionists daughter I've started "The Island" and picked up "The Historian" at work today.

And I can report I am enjoying The Island but am becoming worryingly obsessed with leprosy blink.gif
mornington
is The Island any good? I saw a copy in the oxfam bookshop the other day and thought "hmm..."

punkerplus
I like it. At first I was worried it was going to be very chick lit which I do not enjoy (It started off with her worrying about whether to stay with her boyfriend or not) but now its got more into the history part I'm getting into the story really easily. Its really sad though.

That said I'm probably only a quarter of the way through so it could turn really rubbish.
oceandessa
I read Brick Lane when it first came out, and honestly, it was good but so not worth all the hype. Monica Ali is a good writer, but the story she told was not that original really.

I don't see why, given the response to the novel in that community, they would even film the novel in Brick Lane. Why not take it somewhere else where it would not be so controversial? It's not like the author spent any time in Brick Lane at all, so there's no authenticity argument IMO.

I think the comparisons to Rushdie are way off. The reason he recieved a fatwa is that he criticised the Koran, which is a huge thing for someone from a Muslim background to do. Also, there was a lot of political motivation at the time (the new Iran regime etc). Ali didn't say anything as drastic, and I seriously doubt that she would recieve a fatwa. There are shitloads of really bad/negative novels about Muslims in Britian, most of them way worse than Ali's, and none of them have recieved a fatwa.

I forgot to mention - I think the comparisons to Rushdie are being invoked because he recently commented on the issue. Specifically he called Germaine Greer a "philistine" for saying that the community had every right to protest the book. Apparently there's rivalry between the two because she didn't think The Satanic Verses was worth the hype (and frankly, I agree).

And I hope that what I said is not interpreted as me supporting censorship. I do think they should make the movie, but maybe not in Brick Lane itself.

ETA: the Guardian is now reporting that 70 people showed up to the protest. It seems that the issue may have been exaggerated by either the media or representatives of the debate on either side.
curioushair
Bought Alison Bechdel's Fun Home; finished it over the weekend. Amazing. I've been hyping this book to anyone who will listen.

bunnyb
Has anyone read A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian? The title put me off but I read a synopsis and it sounds like something I'd really enjoy.

mornington, how's The Historian? I am so envious of you the reading time I think you'll have this weekend!

curioushair, the paperback not out here in UK but that's one to keep in mind- sounds good!

IF I get enough work done today I am going to treat myself to a good read of [/i]The History of Love[i] as haven't managed to pick it up for days sad.gif.
sybarite
Bunnyb, I haven't read A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian but my ex-boss said it was amazing.

I liked Prep but hated the main character. I thought her tendency to idolise other *star* students was spot on though; I used to do that all the time.

I liked Morvern Callar but by The Sopranos I was getting a little concerned at Alan Warner's predilection for physical descriptions of his (young + female) characters. I'm wondering where he gets his point of view from.

The last thing I read that I liked was Andrea Levy's Small Island, which I really liked.

Since getting stuck into thesis reading I have been reading CRAP for leisure.
bunnyb
Happy Birthday syb! (I don't feel like kvetching so saw you in here!)

I hold the same opinion of Alan Warner! His insight into the teenage mind of a girl is disturbing.

Small Island is one the books on my very-long-and-increasing-by-the-day-to-read list as is Prep.

Both Prep and A Short History of Tractors... I picked up today unsure.gif

By CRAP to you mean Jackie Collins?! I saw that confession in the Sin Bin wink.gif. I have been known to read some not exactly chick lit but aged hen lit crap on occasion, like Barbara Taylor Bradford (her [/i]Woman of Substance[i] series is gooood!)
sybarite
*ahem* no, it was Jilly Cooper *cough*

What can I say? Bourdieu's theories of cultural practice were getting to me!

Very bad chick lit (before chick lit was invented per se) stuff is crack. Sorry, for me it's true. You can read a Jilly Cooper overnight, 600+ pages and all!

*warning: should be in soon to be started inebriation thread.... I've been out and am posting under the influence...*
girlbomb
curioushair, I too just read Alison Bechdel, and my god is it good.
bunnyb
Jeez, what is it with me and using the wrong names? Jilly Cooper/Jackie Collins (I was even thinking of Riders as I wrote it!) reminds me of once having conversation about how trashy writers all have intitals JC...

girlbomb, it is so cool that there is an ad for and link to an extract of your book on the banner above the lounge!
punkerplus
I'm afraid your theory has a flaw bunny. You forget Barbara Taylor Bradford.

mornington, are you enjoying the historian?
girlbomb
Thank you, Ms. bunnyb; I'm happy to see it too.
bunnyb
yes, but I like Barbara Taylor Bradford!!! and Lena Kennedy and Margaret Thomson Davies ... although I haven't read any for about a decade!
dynamitedamsel
I was wandering if anyone here would be interested in reading some of my poetry and giving me some honest feedback? If interested, check it out at : http://www.poemhunter.com/kimberly-baransky/poet-143048/

All feedback is appreciated.
punkerplus
bunnyb, I'm not denying the BTB love (even though I'm more of a trashy whodunnit fiend myself).

I am just coming to report that Waterstones "3 for 2" offer totally roped me in today and I'm now the owner of The Historian, Righteous Men and The Labyrinth. Now I have contributed to Richard and Judy's monopoly on the bestsellers list but meh. So long as the books are good!
knitpug
Hi I'm new. I'm in a non-fiction book club. It is great, we just read Everything Bad is Good for You. Very interesting. Hard to argue with. I have just started 1776. Has anyone read that?
As far as fiction I'm reading Aunt Mame. I would think that other Busties would enjoy that read. Its about a very cooky 50s woman. I've also started Hawaii by Michner. Has anyone read any of his books. It is so long, but so captivating, so far.
mornington
the historian was good - the plot was gripping without being unputdownable (if that makes sense) and I liked the way it was written. Although the ending was a little predictable (but it doesn't aim to be unpredictable) it keeps going with the pace and whatnot.

a short history of tractors in ukranian is excellent, and entertaining. you should read it, bunny.

The 3-for-2 in waterstones is the most dangerous thing in the world, imo. And you forgot my personal guilty secret, Georgette Heyer (and before I forget, an excessively belated happy birthday, syb!).

memo to self: never become book reviewer
alligator
I know I've recommended this before, but...

Watership Down.
mermaidgirl13
Hee hee - Watership Down is good.

I just finished Female Chauvinist Pigs by Ariel Levy and thought it was pretty good. I'm thinking of buying copies for my girlfriends.
venetia
On the Jilly Cooper front (I am putting off reading her latest book btw as I won't get anything else done until Ive read it once I start) does anyone else like Fiona Walker? I see Fiona Walker as a younger and more feminist /egalitarian version of Jilly Cooper.

I like Georgette Heyer too. heh heh. Though, have never got into her detective fiction.
knitpug
QUOTE(alligator @ Aug 8 2006, 10:40 AM) *

I know I've recommended this before, but...

Watership Down.

I liked that book. It is sort of emotionally hard to read.
bunnyb
QUOTE(mornington @ Aug 7 2006, 11:55 AM) *

a short history of tractors in ukranian is excellent, and entertaining. you should read it, bunny.

Thanks for the rec morn! I ordered a copy and the opening paragraph is so funny! I want to curl up (hiding under the duvet) and read it but then I'd feel bad (I'd much prefer to be wracked with guilt over busting all day. Sigh). Anyway, I'm still reading A History of Love before sleep when I'm not too tired (which isn't very often hence the age of reading it).

Has anyone read Atwood's Oryx and Crake? Synopsis sounds surreal.

punkerplus
I have bunnyb. It was the first of her books that I read and I really enjoyed it.

The first few chapters is a bit wtf, but after that it becomes interesting and really shows off her interest in science.
curioushair
Pissed Off by Spike Gillespie

mouse
i am reading oliver sacks. fascinating.
mr_falljackets
Finished Bonjour Tristesse yesterday. I picked up it after I heard Wes Anderson refer to Francoise Sagan as the inspiration for the character of Margot in The Royal Tenenbaums which I really liked.

It took a while to find a secondhand copy. I finally found one in a Dallas used book store.
bunnyb
Bought Oryx and Crake[i] (and Surfacing[i]) today and read the first couple of chapters whilst working - I get what you mean punk, although I'm enjoying it!

I also managed to restrain myself from 3 for 2 in Waterstones! Did you know they're now doing standard 10% discount for students?
punkerplus
No! This is going to get a lot worse.... I take my life in my hands every time I go to bed due to the pile of books on my bedside table.

I finished The Island, and I really enjoyed it. I know a books good when it makes me cry three times.

Now I'm trying to force my way through a couple of textbooks. Don't you hate having to read something, as opposed to wanting to read it. I swear that none of its going in anyway.

I know this isn't the comics thread but Jim Mahfood is excellent and I want his babies.
mornington
*glees*

this of course means that I will simply buy more books than ever before. Including, unfortunately, textbooks. Although I am rather looking forward to flogging three of the most tedious textbooks ever written to unsuspecting freshers as of october.

John Peel's autobiography Margrave of the Marshes is fantastic.
mermaidgirl13
BunnyB, is it "A" History of Love or "The" History of Love?

Punkerplus, I hear you on the stack of books. I'm simutaneously reading Culture of Fear, Girls on the Verge: Debutantes, Drivebys and other initiations, Ruby (francesca lia block's new one) and this cool collection of female journalists' articles on rock n' roll, or on rock figures (like Lennon, Courtney Love, the Slits, etc).
punkerplus
mermaidgirl, I've never even heard of Girls On The Verge. Is it good?

And whats the collection of articles called? I have quite a few books like that.

[size=1]Damn you, I'm now adding to my list of books I want to check out!
mermaidgirl13
Girls on the Verge was okay. It was about the various initiations that women go through - rushing a sorority, quinceaneras, gangs, wiccan covens, etc. Interesting depending on what you're interested in.

I'll check on the title of the other book when I get home. So far I read an article about John and Yoko and an article about Courtney Love that was a Q&A with all the members of Hole (and Kurt was there too) I'd never read before.
vesicapisces
!!!! John! Peel! BIO??!??!??!!!!!

I think I just peed.
mornington
vesica, half of it is his bio - and it's very very very peelian in style - and then the second half was written by Sheila (the wife) after he died. It's brilliant. seriously. And I'm not big into biographies.

I've just packed my books... into six boxes. ohmy.gif
bunnyb
mermaidgirl, apologies, it's The History of Love, probably confused after talking about A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian!

Saw book on 3for2 offer in waterstones that made me think of BUSTies but now, annoyingly, can't remember title or author (KNEW I should have noted it down) - it's a novel written using a collection of 1960s articles about women and has a 1960s poster like cover and sounded very interesting.
sixelacat
alligator, if you liked Watership Down, have you read Shardik? Fascinating take on religion. I also remember liking Plague Dogs, though it's been ages since I've read it....

mouse, which Sacks book are you reading? I burned through several of his books in the early nineties, but I especially liked The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.
punkerplus
I saw that too bunnyb and very nearly picked it up. Damned if I can remember the title though.
mermaidgirl13
Punkerplus, I looked at the women's rock writing book --- it's called Rock She Wrote. So far it's pretty damn cool (but I've only read a few articles).
bunnyb
Blitzed The History of Love last night. It was good and beautifully written but I found the ending disappointing. It's an easy read but the shifts in time and perspective (there are a few first person narrators) can be confusing (especially when read to begin with, as I did, over a long period of time). It reminded me of both Everything is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close in parts although doesn't have the same tragic resonance of either although it is a beautiful read. Next up: Oryx and Crake and then A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian.

I'm not sure whether I posted this elsewhere last week but I heard that Nicole Kidman is on board to play Mrs Coulter in the movie adaptation of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials and possibly Paul Bettany in role of Lord Asriel. I think I imagined the character of Mrs Coulter to look more like Julianne Moore... Nicole can play manipulative too, though.

x-posted in Reel Life.
sassygrrl
Reading The Ruins right now. Really dig it.
crazyoldcatlady
devoured But Enough About Me in two days. It was like downing a box of pop-culture chocolates.

but yeah, it's making the transition to the (relatively) more cerebral The Tipping Point a little rough

btw, i have a running notepad file of the books you ladies talk about here that i plan on getting around to, keep talkin!
GiGi21
Reading "For Matrimonal Purpose" a story about a contemporary Indian women visiting her family so they can arrange her marriage- so far so good!
crazyoldcatlady
so, in light of every mom n pop bookstore being usurped by something larger, i'm wondering if online ordering is the way to go. anyone know an independent site that is realtively inexpensive and ships fast?
bunnyb
well I use Amazon or Play.com (playusa.com) especially the latter for small orders as discounted and free delivery but I think you mean somehting different by "independent"? The bookshops on ebay can be worth a look if you have particular item in mind.
punkerplus
Word Power are pretty cool. They are based in Edinburgh but I'm pretty sure they deliver internationally, but the postage fees might be a bugger.

I was naughty and bought another book. Diy: The Rise of Lo-Fi Culture by Amy Spencer.
sukouyant
poor mom and pop sad.gif
i use bookfinder.com to find indie booksellers who have the goods.

the movie trailer for Children of Men pissed me off so much, i decided to read the book by PD James, since people have said it's a much different story on paper. so far so good..
sybarite
Oooh, I think I liked Children of Men, although it's apparently a big departure for PD James; she's otherwise famous for writing whodunnits I think.

Finally read On Beauty; it's good, but oddly reminded me of Tom Wolfe; epic-ish scale, serious moralising... from a different perspective of course.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.