Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'Looks Like We Got Ourselves a Reader...'
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
bunnyb
I want it in writing that I bought Half Of A Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie earlier this month, BEFORE I knew it was in Richard & Judy's 2007 book club. Then again, some of their selections haven't been too bad.

Loved Anansi Boys and now reading Kevin MacNeil's The Stornoway Way - a cracking read, think Irvine Welsh only funnier.
roseviolet
Tee hee ... Richard & Judy. I used to put their show on while I did dishes just so the flat wouldn't feel so quiet & lonely. And I gotta admit ... I think Richard looks kinda cute. [hangs head in shame over non-book-related guilty pleasure]

Anansi Boys was soooo different than what I had expected! I was thinking it was some sort of sequel to American Gods, but the tone was totally different. And I really liked it! But honestly, I love pretty much anything Gaiman does. I even read his blog on a regular basis. And we recently got a 25% off coupon for a bookstore & I am seriously considering using it on that big Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 that came out recently. One of my best friends got it and said it is amaaaaaaaaazingly beautiful.

Finished Wee Free Men & really enjoyed it! On to the next in the series. smile.gif

I hear that The Jane Austen Book Club is being made into a movie. rolleyes.gif
superscience
Does anyone have any ideas for feminist books that are really readable (i.e. not super academic)? I loved Female Chauvinist Pigs by Ariel Levy, and would like something in that vein. It's for a small book club where we discuss sociopolitical commentary from a feminist perspective, and FCP was the last book we read.
punkerplus
What about Bitch by Elizabeth Wurtzel (a history of "difficult" women and why we should admire them) or keep it simple with the vagina monologues? Or The Beauty Myth? All obvious ones I know.

I saw richard and judy pop up so I had to confess my sins. I by chance picked up The Island last year and loved it and so read some more and all that I have read, I've loved! Apart from maybe Sam Bourne.... Is it sad now that I will read books based on their recommendation alone?
bunnyb
punkerplus, my aunt bought me The Island for Christmas! Looking forward to reading it, glad to hear you loved it.

superscience, I would second punkerplus's recs and also add bell hook's Feminism is for Everyone.

rose, I think too highly of you to acknowledge your fucking weird crush!
mornington
rose, before i back away slowly from your richard-fancying self, absolute sandman is beautiful. i got it for christmas and i love it
bunnyb
*Joins mornington in the corner mocking Richard's cheesiness and cringw-worthy Ali G impression.*

Considering buying the boy Absolute Sandman as a birthday gift.
roseviolet
It's okay, ladies. I'm perfectly happy with what I have at home. Judy has nothing to worry about. wink.gif

Glad to hear you liked the book, Mornington. Every copy I know of is tightly sealed & you can't look at it unless you buy it. I can't blame the stores for feeling that way since it costs $100, but I'd still like to look it over before I buy it, you know?

SuperSci, I wish I could come up with a good suggestion for you. The only non-fiction book I've read this year is The United States of Europe. An interesting look at the European Union, but I don't see it working for your group. Sorry.
superscience
Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

We actually went with Fast Food Nation. I read it when it came out, but no one else had, and I think it'll be an interesting compliment to the discussion we had about Female Chauvinist Pigs--regarding the commodification of something (women, sexuality) and the commodification of food (specifically meat) discussed in Fast Food Nation. I'm looking forward to re-reading it.

And, I FINALLY got to start Girlbomb's book! I picked it up in November, and then forgot to take it to my parent's for the holidays, so had to pick up something else, then had book club books to read, etc, etc, etc. But, I started it yesterday, and am loving it. And, it's fun when people are asking what I'm reading (happened twice yesterday), and I get to say that it's by a "friend from online that I met once in NYC"! I'm cooler just by virtue of reading Girlbomb!

mandolyn
supersci, you're gonna love girlbomb's book. i promise. i didn't want it to end. and i completely agree with the fangirl aspect, like, whoa, i know THE AUTHOR IRL!

rose, i don't know if you saw my mention, but i bought the absolute sandman vol I for danny for xmas. he's finished it already, and loved it. it truly is gorgeous, i can't wait to read it myself.

i'm currently bogged down in the last quarter of good omens, though i'm loving it. blamin' it on my crap anxiety this week.

and guess what? fall on your knees is winging its way to me as we speak! (hey, it's not gonna depress me or break my heart, is it? some of you know i'm a bit on the fragile side these days. unsure.gif )
mouse
mando, it's gonna depress you and break your heart and make you laugh out loud and stare at the book in shock and absolutely redeem everything. promise.
bunnyb
what mouse said!
girlbomb
Agh, fucking shucks. I'm blushing like crazy. I'm so lucky to know you ladies, both IRL and online. Thanks to kittenb, too, and her book club.

And gee, I wish I'd known about Norah Vincent's anti-trans stance before propping her book. I feel like a total jerk, supporting someone with that on her record.

Sounds like I gotta get on the Fall On Your Knees bandwagon! Right now I'm rereading the All Of A Kind Family books, which I loved when I was young -- they're about a turn-of-the-century Jewish family on the Lower East Side -- kind of like a kosher Laura Ingalls Wilder. Just as good as I remember!
mouse
omg girlbomb i totally read those! i have a really precise memory of one incident where one of the little girls correcting the younger one says something like "libel, not label, papa's not a pickle jar!"

i have no idea why that stuck with me.
bunnyb
punkerplus, The Island has won out and is my reading material whilst train travelling this weekend.
punkerplus
Well done! I really expected not to like it as it were, but it surprised me, and I love surprises!

Somebody push me into reading Neil Gaiman. I don't know why I haven't for so long but now it has slipped into the territory of "I've built it up so much that I'm scared to read any now in case I don't like it". So a gentle yelling at would be appreciated!
superscience
Who wrote The Island?
punkerplus
Victoria Hislop - wife of Ian Hislop. There was quite a bit of shit at the time about how she only got published because of him (which is probably true) but eh, I enjoyed it.
vesicapisces
QUOTE(sixelacat @ Jan 5 2007, 04:00 AM) *

Has anyone read Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks? It's been sitting on my shelf for an age, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth packing and moving to the new apartment.....

Sixel, I really loved <i>Year of Wonders</i>. That period is one I learned virtually nothing about in school, and I found it interesting from that viewpoint, and also the impact/aftermath of the village's actions (and those of individual people - don't want to ruin it for you.)
bunnyb
wife of Ian Hislop? wow, I had no idea. Cool. So far, so good with it.

*gives punkerplus a nice kick up arse to read Neil Gaiman*
prophecy_grrl
*can't believe I haven't noticed this thread before; I've been without a book club for a few months and I'm bummed sad.gif *

punker - I'll add to the Neil Gaiman ass-kicking (but not his ass). Read everything he has ever written right now!

I just got Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 for my bday; it really is amazing. I've been casually re-reading it and I never cease to be awed by Gaiman. Sandman is a good place to start if you've never read his stuff, but any of his novels or short story collections are fine starting points as well.

superscience - I'm about 1/2 way into Female Chauvinist Pigs, and I was just thinking about it's similarities with Fast Food Nation. Mostly because they're the only books in recent memory to get me so pissed off and fist-waving and ready to take up activism again. They way they dissect our culture is very similar, even if the subject is different.

Omnivore's Dilemma is also in the same vein as FFN, but in some ways more profound. Not that it's better, it just examines the issue of "what we eat" in a different way. It's really fantastic.
roseviolet
[teasingly kicks Punker's butt]
I was first exposed to Gaiman through the Sandman and Books of Magic graphic novels. I certainly like them, but I have a special place in my heart for his works aimed at younger readers - specifically The Day I Swapped my Dad for Two Goldfish (a short picture book that you can flip through at a book store if you'd like) and Coraline (a slightly scary short novel that will give you a little taste of the shadowy corners of Gaiman's mind). What I love about Gaiman is his flexibility. There's always some darkness there, but sometimes he's spiritual, sometimes he's comedic, and sometimes he gives me the creeps. But I love it all!

Slightly off-topic: one of my college friends had a tiny part in the Fast Food Nation movie. Last night I saw him in a Wendy's ad. Heh.
raisingirl
I just need to reiterate that I love books so very much.

This thread rocks my pink leopard print socks!
cinegirl
QUOTE(girlbomb @ Jan 11 2007, 10:44 PM) *

Sounds like I gotta get on the Fall On Your Knees bandwagon! Right now I'm rereading the All Of A Kind Family books, which I loved when I was young -- they're about a turn-of-the-century Jewish family on the Lower East Side -- kind of like a kosher Laura Ingalls Wilder. Just as good as I remember!

I loved those books! Let's see if I can name all of the sisters--Ella, Charlotte, Sarah, Henrietta, and Gertie, right? And don't forget little Charlie. I fell in love with New York City reading those books plus A Tree Grows in Brooklyn over and over and over... I was so sad when I moved here to find out that I couldn't get a half a penny's worth of broken crackers and a pickle with the other half wink.gif
femmespeak
I have next to no time, because I'm finishing up my book for bookclub tomorrow, but I just had to drop in and let you all know that Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende is EXCELLENT and it's living up to it's role to be a book worthy of my "Women Who Aren't Whiny" Bookclub.

Talk about women who aren't whiny!

I'll let you know how it turns out!
bunnyb
femmespeak, it's great, isn't it? The follow up Portrait in Sepia is also very good (features characters from House of the Spirits too).
pollystyrene
QUOTE(prophecy_grrl @ Jan 12 2007, 05:04 PM) *

*can't believe I haven't noticed this thread before; I've been without a book club for a few months and I'm bummed sad.gif *

Hmm, there are quite a few Chicago Busties...maybe we could start a Chicago Bustie Book Club? We already meet on a monthly basis anyway- maybe we could combine a book club into the general social gathering (maybe the book club could start an hour earlier.) If you'd be interested in it, Prophecy, I can suggest it in the Midwestern Mamas thread. I've never been in a book club- how often do you usually meet?
femmespeak
So I spent my whole effin day finishing up the book, just to find out this morning that bookclub is canceled. My own mother didn't call me to tell me she was canceling it!! She's down with my sister in another city. Don't I feel like the second daughter!

Oh well, it was a great read. So Bunnyb - do you mean there's a book that takes up where Daughter of Fortune leaves off??? I have to have it!!
bunnyb
It's been a long time and my retention can sometimes be poor... opens with the daughter/granddaughter as young girl living in Chinatown in San Fran?
femmespeak
that must be it because we leave off with her in Chinatown in San Fran. So I'm totally going to go look for that! I left off the book thinking that it was all set up for a sequel because there were still so many unanswered questions. It's awesome to hear there's a follow up!! yay!
anarch
Those of you interested in The Omnivore's Dilemma and Fast Food Nation might want to check out The End of the Line: How Overfishing is Changing the World and What We Eat, by Charles Clover (2006). I just finished it. Quite an eye-opening read.
mandolyn
my boyfriend's new book - you suck - is out today!
it's a sequel to bloodsucking fiends.

i think i may make an attempt to head into the city for his booksigning feb 9th. i loves me some christopher moore. le sigh.

oh, and i finished good omens - loved it, passed it on to the kidlet - and have started FALL ON YOUR KNEES!
bunnyb
woohoo!!! keep us posted, mando.
I heart both Pratchett and Gaiman so I should really read Good Omens.
spazmatazz
i am so glad that this thread exists!!! my work gives me so little time to do much socializing, so i read a lot in my free time. But, as i mentioned, i just don't have the time to commit to a book club...this just fits so perfectly.

i have about $100 in barnes & noble gift cards waiting to be spent...and many of your suggestions are likely where that money will go.

i'd feel like a grade-a jerk if i didn't come in here with something to offer, so....

i just finished A Woman in Berlin: Eight Weeks in the Conquered City, the author is anonymous. it's the diary of a woman living in berlin in the final weeks of WWII, during the russian occupation. it's incredibly sad and disturbing, but also one of those books that i feel like a slightly better person for having read.

it occurs to me that my posts tend to ramble...sorry all!
Phantom
I'm about halfway through Reading People by Jo-Ellan Dimitrius and Mark Mazzarella. This is a well-written guide to reading clues from people's expressions, mannerisms, outfits, wall-hangings, etc. to gain insight into their character and state of mind. I'd recommend this book to everyone from the socially inept to social butterflies. One important theme (among many) is to look for patterns among multiple clues rather than jumping wildly to conclusions from individual observations. No hocus pocus mind-reading, no psychobabble bullshit, no unnecessarily complicated language (a welcome surprise from an author with a doctorate), just good sense spelled out in plain English from a jury consultant who has read thousands of people when selecting jury members.
mouse
it's the book oscars!

anyone read any of these? i haven't, but "fun home" is on my wishlist. alison bechdel is fantastic and i've heard that it's really a masterpiece, from all the different camps it appeals to (feminist, lesbian, literary, memoir, and art/graphic novels).

looks like "middlesex" won in 2002.....hmm.
bunnyb
Half of a Yellow Sun is on my reading list; I loved Purple Hibiscus.
superscience
Ooooh! I love book awards!

Fun Home is phenomenal. I really love all of Alison Bechdel's stuff (Dykes To Watch Out For, her long-running comic series), and Fun Home is just truly amazing. So, so, so good.

I just picked up Kiran Desai's The Inheritance of Loss from the library, and will start it tonight.
mandolyn
i've never heard of the book oscars ... thanks for sharing, mouse!

k, you ann-marie mcdonald zealots - i'm halfway thru fall on your knees. not sure what i think of it. not sure i like any of the characters. sort of depressing the helloutta me. does it get better?
bunnyb
YES.

(((mando)))
femmespeak
mandolyn - it's depressing pretty much the whole way through, but I think the story is worth it. Some parts have traumatized me a little bit - but that's the mark of good literature. But after about 1/2 way through, you switch the characters that you're following and there's a whole heck of a lot more to the story still. So definitely keep going. smile.gif

Book oscars....cool!! Wasn't there an interview with Alison Bechdel in a recent Bitch issue? I think it talked about Fun-Home too. ??
mandolyn
ok. thanks. that does help.

thinking i want another funny book after this one, though. humorous literature is my anti-depressant.

ah, that's right. you suck will be arriving any day now. yippy skippy!
bunnyb
femmespeak sums it up well; the characters and "feel" do change. I'm still traumatised by it too and still reeling from The Way the Crow Flies. Such an investment in the characters and plot events is indeed a sign of good literature.
mouse
not sure where you are in it mando, but it's gonna get HORRIFYING, and then sweeter, and then sad, and then brave and hopeful, and then it's gonna end up totally redeeming and wonderful and happy bittersweet ending.
femmespeak
LOL - you said it Mouse - it is all of those things. Hurry and finish Mando so we can talk about it!!! I'll have to check out You Suck. I loved Coyote Blue. But stopped partway into the Demon one - it's even based on an area that's close to where I live and I still didn't get into it. I think I want to try the Biff one, then the You Suck one. At any rate, your You Suck will be a big difference from Fall On Your Knees!!
raisingirl
Where are your favorite places and what are your favorite times to read?

I most like reading in bed, curled up on the sofa, standing over the stove stirring a pot of pasta, and outdoors on a nice day. When I was a kid and even later, I liked to read while walking down the sidewalk. Times of day these days are usually bookends (ha, punny), either when I first wake up (on weekends) or when I go to bed (weekdays).

But really, almost any time is a good time to read. I could even read in a bar provided there was enough light and not an interesting conversation going on around me in the immediate area.
mouse
i like to read while eating. my mother was very big on family meals and we were never allowed to read at the table when she was home; when she would go away for whatever reason and it was just me and my dad, it was always a big treat to be able to have a "reading dinner" smile.gif i keep a book i'm working on in my car for reading during lunch at work.
sybarite
I could read almost everywhere. I was told off for reading at the table when I was little. These days I usually read in bed before I go to sleep and over breakfast if there are no papers about.

When I'm travelling though I will bring a book everywhere... and I have read in various bars in europe, australia, fiji and bangkok. I don't read in the hope I'll be somehow 'rescued': I genuinely love taking in what's happening and following my book at the same time. It's a good deterrent most of the time, although in denmark recently I got into a great conversation and subsequent night out because of what I was reading (Freakonomics).
mouse
QUOTE(sybarite @ Jan 25 2007, 05:29 PM) *

I was told off for reading at the table when I was little.

heh.....when i was little my best friend once threw a book i was reading out the window because i was reading it instead of playing with her.
snafooey
My mother always used to threaten to stop taking me to the library if I didn't stop reading and start doing my homework instead.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.