Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'Looks Like We Got Ourselves a Reader...'
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
punkerplus
I always got told off for reading at the table too. The great thing is my mum works in a library and so if I was ill I had to go to work with her, and got to just sit and read all day! After I realised this my amount of sick days went up considerably.
bunnyb
bed, sofa, coffee shops (with and without the boy), lying beside pool, waiting rooms, aeroplane/train/bus, in that order. can't read in car as get travel sick.
superscience
On the bus (when it's not too crowded, and I actually get a seat), in an empty conference room at work (during lunch), on the couch, in bed, in a coffee shop, book shop, library.

I also really love to read when I stay at someone else's house. I always check out where I'll be sleeping, and make sure there's a reading light first thing.

Any time, anywhere, really.
crazyoldcatlady
where i read:
-bed! esp. before i fall asleep
-couch, saturday afternoons with the windows open.
-car, airplane

(syb- i was thinking about picking up Freakonomics... is it worth it?)
faerietails
lol, I used to get scolded for reading at the table too. Or in the living room when I just sat in my own world ignoring company. These days I like reading in bed. I like reading while I'm travelling, too, although I'm usually the driver so I don't get to read as much in the car anymore. During undergrad, while I'd make the 4.5 hour drive home, I'd listen to audiobooks since the radio sucks so bad these days. I can basically read anywhere. In high school I was in marching band, and since I hate sports I would just read during the games (or do homework with my other nerd friends)! rolleyes.gif
tommynomad
Almost anywhere, but not in moving vehicles--makes me oogy.

Favourite spots: cozy chairs, cafes, and cozy chairs in cafes.

Just finished: a complicated kindness by Miriam Toews. The protagonist, Noni Nickel, is such a BUSTie!

Now reading: The Club Dumas.
calpurnia
I'm a mum (geographical identification ref there!) and tell my (early) teenage daughters there's no reading at the dinner table - but only for the greater good of actual communcation smile.gif
Given that, they are passionate readers - which I fully encourage at other times - sometimes to the point of fanaticism - 'you must read this ... I did at your age ... it changed the way I thought about ... yada, yada, yada' you know - the tragic mother stuff that never goes down well ...
Personally, for me - reading happens on the bus to or from work, having gotten past any interest I may have had in others boarding ... and at night, before sleep, when I want to hold onto the characteres in teh book I'm reading, in sleep ...
mornington
i'll read pretty much anywhere. while eating is a favourite if I'm alone, on the tube (or bus if i can get a seat, but I ride the north london cattletruck to uni so I'm more concerned with not standing with my face in a stranger's armpit), and generally any time I have five minutes to spare. I think it's inherited; mornMama, Boy Wonder and I will cheerfully sit and read our different books for hours on end. Coffee shops are always good

calpurnia, every now and again my mum looks at my bookshelves and says something along the lines of "I wish your father had let me keep ...." or "that's where my .... went." keep at it, it gets through even after a few years.

I just got all my Chris Brookmyre books back. And my beloved Eddings and Heyer. My bookshelves are overloaded. I'm reading Edding's Dreamers now. It is a little different from the old stuff, but it's quite similar to Althalus in terms of style. Still book-candy though.

sybarite
Crazycatlady, I liked Freakonomics, even though I'm not generally a fan of non-fiction for leisure reading (have to read too much for work). It takes ordinary, seemingly mundane scenarios and analyses them through an economic lens. Very readable too.

Supersci, I do that immediately too, if I'm lucky enough to have my own room. I can read on a train but not a car or bus; I too start feeling oogy...

Calpurnia, I see your geographical ID! smile.gif
mouse
hey, tommynomad, i read "a complicated kindness" recently too! if you look in the archives from right after christmas i posted a little about it. nomi is such a bustie-type, but her father was my favorite character. the scene with them at the dump was one of those rare moments when i actually stop what i'm reading, get out of the book's world for a second, and remark to myself "wow, this is so good" before going back in smile.gif
raisingirl
I love reading everyone's responses!

I curled up in bed late this afternoon under the covers to read. Yum. I'm in severe denial about all the housekeeping crap I have to do tomorrow that I should have done today... oy.
deannareturns
Oh my old favourite thread!

I read: everywhere, but especially in bed. I sleep with books. Sometimes they poke me in my sleep, but I am sure there is some subconscious brain exercise going on that does me lots of good.

Currently reading:

'Mating' by Norman Rush - fun and clever and kind of sexy, though sometimes the first person protagonist isn't entirely convincing - Rush is writing as 32 year old PhD student researching in the wilds of Africa. His woman friends did give him some nice inside tips...

'Strong Motion' by Jonathan Franzen - having just finished his autobiographical essays 'The Discomfort Zone' - which generated some undeserved negative reviews. He's still got it (if you thought he had it to begin with).

'Female Chauvinist Pigs' by Ariel Levy - necessary reading, though I don't agree with all of her conclusions, such as they are.
sybarite
I keep meaning to read the Levy book.

I really like Jonathan Franzen; I think I liked The 27th City and Strong Motion even better than The Corrections. He seems to divide people though; friends of mine who read The Corrections can't stand him.

I need to find something new to read... nothing has really grabbed me since Barbara bloody Vine at Christmas!
curioushair
I like Freakonomics, too, but at the same time wanted to pitch the book across the room. I got too much a sense of self-righteousness from the authors while presenting their data as "Just the facts, ma'am. Hey, I don't make them up."

Right now I'm reading Laurie Fox's My Sister From the Black Lagoon. I really wanted to like this book, but when the crazy-as-a-loon sister is missing, the story reads a little prissy.
crazyoldcatlady
female chauvinist pigs had an interesting concept, but i don't think the author was able to stop jumping around long enough to make the text cohesive. it was like a poor-woman's manifesta.

i'm working on straight man by richard russo, and although it gets frustrating at times when it seems like there's no plot development, i am utterly in love with his prose style.

recent half-read books:
the corrections. i just can't do it anymore.
a widow for one year. editor, anyone?
the love wife. too oprah-y. and i feel bad that i can't finiish it because my sister got it for me for xmas and she keeps asking me what i think of it.

what are ya'll struggling with?
sybarite
Doris Lessing once said that if you don't like a book, put it down, at the start, midway through, whenever. She said it in response to the idea that we can feel obliged to finish a book. I've been putting unfinished books down guiltfree ever since.

There's nothing that immediately springs to mind, but one thing that persistently puts me off is stylised prose. Wheh I'm reading for fun all's I really want is a decent plot, although good characterisation is always very welcome. Because of my anti-stylisation stance, I have yet to read many, many popular or award winning books that other poeple have raved about.
deannareturns
Yes Sybrarite, I tend to get queasy when I read 'lyrical evocation' or similar in reviews. Yet some of my favourite writers (Joan Didion for instance) are considered stylists. I like it both ways I guess, but I have to be interested in the subject matter, which usually means there has to be some sex in it, and preferably heart break and probably death.
faerietails
oh, no, i loved the corrections!

right now i'm stuck reading books for thesis, but i've been buying "fun" books like no one's business! what i would give to be able to have the option of putting books down. come may, it's on! my current reading isn't too bad, though. the last thing i read was caramelo by sandra cisneros. i usually can't stand her style, but i did like that book.

i think when i finish writing this sucker, i'm just going to read pure fluff for about a month.
nickclick
just started reading lolita in tehran by azar nafisi, a memoir about teaching western literature to young women in iran. so far so good, especially for lit nerds like me.
cinegirl
QUOTE(sybarite @ Jan 28 2007, 01:56 PM) *

I need to find something new to read... nothing has really grabbed me since Barbara bloody Vine at Christmas!

I completely relate--I've been on a spate of Vine & Rendell and because she's so prolific I feel like I'll be reading her forever smile.gif

A Dark Adapted Eye is far and away my favorite.

Have you read any Patricia Highsmith (not just Ripley) or Shirley Jackson? If you like Vine you'll like those, I think.
bunnyb
nickclick, that's been on my reading list for some time; let me know how it pans out.

Recently I've read The Stornoway Way by Kevin MacNeil (v funny), The Island by Victoria Hislop (captivating family saga) and The Time Traveller's Wife (enjoyable). I'm now reading Zadie Smith's On Beauty (so far so good) and then it's Doris Lessing's The Golden Notebook.
punkerplus
I've had that on my pile for ages nickclick but I've not read Lolita *hangs head in shame* so I feel I should do that first. Let me know how it goes though.

I ordered BitchFest from Word Power yesterday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for funny yet nueron taxing essays.
mouse
say what they may about "lolita" (and i have known certain very literary types to turn up their noses at nabokov--though i personally love him), the opening paragraph is possibly the best ever written. even better if read aloud.
bunnyb
Lolita is fabulous; Nabokov is fabulous and I want to read more (other than Lolita I've only read Pale Fire). I think I have 3 copies of Lolita, it's so good! The annotated one is great, whether studying the text or just for pleasure.
mouse
bb, read "ada or ardor" immediately!!
bunnyb
that's one I have been wanting to read for ages! k, must buy that.
sybarite
Cheers for the recommendations cinegirl! You hit the nail on the head; I always know I can find another Rendell/Vine book in case I need a 'fix'. I have read Patricia Highsmith and enjoyed her but I haven't tried (or even heard of) Shirley Jackson, so thanks for that.

I like A Dark Adapted Eye, but personally prefered House of Stairs, although I think The Blood Doctor is my new favourite.

In the meantime I went back to Graham Greene's Our Man in Havana. I can always reread his books.
nickclick
yes i too am ashamed to say i haven't read lolita but i've got the idea of the story and i don't think we need more to get reading lolita in tehran . the author is a big nabakov fan for sure, in fact i think she wrote another book about his works alone. she seems to preface the bits about the discussions of particular works, which are more than nabakov's, with brief descriptions.
mouse
i just have to say it.

"The tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta."

say that out loud.

*swoon*
lucizoe
I am always forgetting about this thread

*scribbles down titles*

I just finished "A Life in Secrets: The Story of Vera Atkins and the Lost Agents of SOE" by Sara Helm. Very interesting story about the secret British agency and its use of female secret agents during WWII (specifically in France), and the fall-out from that. Really well researched and engaging prose, something often lacking in historical biographies, I find. I'd never learned anything about "Churchill's secret war" before and it was really illuminating. I cannot fathom the amount of courage and faith it must have taken for these people to do what they did, and it pissed me off that it was all pretty much a total waste.

Also finally read "Carrington," the biography of painter Dora Carrington. Again, good prose, although probably only interesting if one is already interested in Carrington and the Bloomsbury group. Not terribly exciting; just informative.

I like historical biographies, clearly.

And I need to stop rereading all the Terry Pratchett novels. Too funny and distracting.

vesicapisces
I adore Shirley Jackson. A lot of her stuff is eerie, but some of it is just straight up fiction, and funny! Her short story "Charles" is one I first heard on the NPR radio show "Selective Shorts", where actors read stories in front of a live audience. "Charles" is a hoot. I think my favorite of her books is We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

I found a hardcover copy of The Fortress of Solitude at the thrift store the other day and can't wait to get into it!
feministreview
Reading Lolita in Tehran was a wonderful book!

http://www.feministreview.org
mouse
hey, feministreview, welcome to bust! please stop by the newbies thread to introduce yourself, and read over our guidelines for posting. we're a little different than most online communities and it'll help you to get acquainted.

ETA: looooooved "we have always lived in the castle" ! and luci, i loves me some bloomsbury but i've never actually read "carrington". i'm actually not a huge non-fiction reader; would you still recommend it?

though i did love tennessee william's memoirs...
feministreview
Thanks!
raisingirl
Sniff sniff, I smell spam.
lucizoe
mouse, I think you might want to give it a look. Outside of the little Bloomsbury tidbits (DH Lawrence used Carrington as a character in stories unflatteringly because she turned down his sexual advances, and some Virgina Woolf anecdotes), it's also a really interesting portrait of someone born into the constraints of Victorian society and consciously wishing to break out of that, but still held back psychologically. She was certainly a unique person, although she sort of buried herself in Strachey's life and neglected much of her own work because of low self-esteem, etc. Complicated character.
feministreview
that's not very nice or inviting.
crazyoldcatlady
mouse, you so inspired me to pull out my lolita copy... i do heart nabokov...
faerietails
nicklick, reading lolita in tehran has been sitting in my "fun books" pile for a long time. i really do want to read it.

i got into ana karenina a while back, but then i got really busy in the semester and had to put it down, so now i don't remember anything and i'll probably have to start over. i don't mind, though. i was really into it. and now you all have me dying to read lolita. it's been on my must-read list for quite a while now.

i just bought sound bites: eating on tour with franz ferdinand (yes, i'm a dork who intends to marry alex kapranos one day), bitchfest, and bless me, ultima. sadly, the one to make me put thesis aside is alex's book. *hangs head in shame* what?! he's doing a reading in the city on wednesday so i had to buy it to read it beforehand! *hangs head again*

...and i was sounding so great with tolstoy and nabokov, too...lol rolleyes.gif
cinegirl
QUOTE(sybarite @ Jan 29 2007, 07:05 PM) *

Cheers for the recommendations cinegirl! You hit the nail on the head; I always know I can find another Rendell/Vine book in case I need a 'fix'. I have read Patricia Highsmith and enjoyed her but I haven't tried (or even heard of) Shirley Jackson, so thanks for that.

I like A Dark Adapted Eye, but personally prefered House of Stairs, although I think The Blood Doctor is my new favourite.

Ooh--I haven't read House of Stairs or The Blood Doctor!! Thanks for giving me something to look forward to biggrin.gif

My favorite Jackson is Hangsaman, but I love every word she's written. "Charles" is hilarious--I wish I could've heard it read aloud on NPR. Sounds awesome. My favorite Highsmith is definitely Edith's Diary.

I'm tackling Anna Karenina as we speak. So far, so good... but I'm only 40 pages in. I read really fast but I have a psychological block with this book b/c of a traumatizing incident in Russian History in 12th grade that's a whole long story involving a false accusation of plagiarizing a paper on Anna. I ended up getting exonerated, but I only ever read the first 200 pages and have had an emotional block about it since then. I decided now is the time to get over it, because I know I will love it based on how much I loved Madame Bovary, which I recently read for the first time.

Have you all heard of this site called Bookmooch (www.bookmooch.com)? It's a bookswapping site that's actually really friendly & easy to use. I have gotten a ton of free books through it to help feed my addiction. Basically it's a book for a book--you list your books & mail them to people who request them, and then you can use your points to get books from other people. It's basically getting a book for postage, which for paperbacks under $2. Since I am addicted to reading, this has really saved my budget. I'm cinegirl over there, too, so if you swing by check out my inventory smile.gif
mornington
nickclick, reading lolita in tehran is a wonderful book, and you don't need to know anything detailed about lolita. There are other books discussed, but the focus is not so much the books as the book group and thier lives. It did inspire me to pick up quite a few "classics" - including lolita (I'd already read pale fire) and daisy miller.

faerietails, I want Alex Kapranos' book; I heard him doing a reading on the radio over here and it sounds wonderful.

nickclick
yep, lolita is next on my list! thanks all!
superscience
I love the Ariel Levy book (Female Chauvinist Pigs)!

I just finished two books: Drag King Dreams by Leslie Feinberg, which was atrocious. I read an interview with her that said that ze wrote it as an act of activism (it's about transgendered people), but on that count I think it failed miserably because you really don't get to know the characters well (underdeveloped and flat) and the writing is just plain bad. I think the editor must have been one of hir admirers because it sure could've used some serious editing. Eh.

But, then I read Wild Dogs by Helen Humphreys, and it's amazing. Just incredibly gorgeous language, and all the characters are rich even though we don't get lots of external description (i.e. what they look like, what they're like outside of this series of events, etc.). It's just wonderful.
deannareturns
Just finished 'The Sea' by John Banville, which won the Booker a couple of years back. I don't normally like the Booker books (Pulitzer tends to be better - books people actually want to read) and 'The Sea' seemed bit fey and pretentious. The reviews were gushing, but did it no justice, making it seem precious and, grumble, style over substance. Whereas in fact 'The Sea' was a tough little cookie, full of insight and observation about life and death, and a few other things. Two thumbs up!
faerietails
cinegirl, that site is too cool. thanks for the heads up! i just registered over there as donutwhore.

today i went to alex kapranos' book reading for sound bites. god the man is sexy. the book is actually very well written and his personality comes through quite a bit. i love his style. he has such a great stage presence, and he's very personable. i, on the other hand, am not.
cinegirl
QUOTE(faerietails @ Feb 1 2007, 06:06 AM) *

[color=#3366FF]cinegirl, that site is too cool. thanks for the heads up! i just registered over there as donutwhore.

Hope you have a good experience with it! I'm totally obsessed with it...

How is the Christina Hoff-Sommers book you have listed? I've never read it, and I'm intrigued by the title...
kelkello
I am reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. Yes, it is ostensibly what the title implies: a book recording the tales of those who survived a plague of zombies. However, it is also a commentary on society today, globalization, and the lazy gluttony that is taking over much of modern society. I picked it up for my zombie-phile bf for V-day, but I started reading it and can't put it down.
mr_falljackets
Over the weekend, while holed up sick in a San Francisco hotel room, I read The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists, which as the title suggests is a narrative regarding the psychological tricks and routines pick-up artists use to make themselves attractive to women. I thought it was outrageous, a little pathetic and utterly fascinating.
superscience
Woo hoo! Just got tickets to see Michael Chabon and Ayelet Waldman on Monday! I haven't read anything by Waldman (Chabon's wife), but I love him, and he's basically a Pittsburgh legend because of Mysteries of Pittsburgh and The Wonder Boys.

And, a friend of mine knows the professor that the Grady Tripp character is based on, and is trying to wrangle us invites for the little party/reception afterwards. Woot!

And, then on Tuesday I'm seeing Sadie Benning (formerly of Le Tigre) on Tuesday for free at the university where I work.

And, tonight I'm going to this monthly reading series here that is held in a sculpture studio. Each month they have two readers--one poet, one fiction author. One guy makes a bunch of homemade bread and cheese, another guy makes homemade ice cream, and then everyone else brings beer or wine or a snack. They have drawings for prizes (art, books, baked goods, crafts, etc.). It's so fun! Tonight it's Cathy Day and Susanna Childress. Yay!
WasabiNinja
Mandi, The full awesomeness of Fall on Your Knees didn't completely hit me until I finished it. Lots of stuff happens in the second half. 0.02

Really liked 'I'm Not the New Me' by Wendy McClure and 'Daughter's Keeper' by Ayelet Weldman. Anyone else?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.