Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'Looks Like We Got Ourselves a Reader...'
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
freckleface2727
the bookclub I went to was great!
not a huge turnout, but diverse enough to make it interesting all the same.
that everyone else in the room openly said strongly that if it hadn't been the chosen book for the club they never would have read it, whereas I was the only one who came across it fresh off the presses and devoured it, well, that's ok too. telling maybe.. but still ok.

and I have now realised something.
in the last 4 weeks or so, I've apparently begun a literary trek around the world, and so am going to continue. I started out in Israel ( a book on a young woman soldier doing her mandatory 2 yrs in service), then Gorsky/Siberia Russia: Dancing Under the Red Star; the story of the only known American woman to survive a work camp there as a political prisoner) then Japan (Memoirs of a Geisha, altho that's 1/2 cheating as I read it years ago & only re-skimmed for the book club) and currently am "in" India (Yoga Hotel- great great!!) and then head next to Iraq for Night Draws Near,
if I can stomach it.

I don't know why I am so drawn to these books lately, but I'm enjoying the cultural enrichment.
bunnyb
none of them would have read it otherwise? were they glad then that it was chosen? I think Memoirs of a Geisha is a beautiful read; if none of them enjoyed it at all, freckle, then yeah that is telling.
raisingirl
Oh, Mr. FJ, I've been secretly wanting to read that book as well! Hee.

Wasabi, I tried reading INTNM a while ago; I couldn't get into it. I really wanted to like it, too, but one day I put it down and just didn't feel like picking it up again. It's so disappointing when that happens! I always feel guilty, too. Unfinished book guilt.
snafooey
Freckle, what was the book about the Israeli soldier called?
freckleface2727
snafooey,
I've been trying to remember the name sinse last night and keep coming up w/ Girl Soldier bc that's how they referred to themselves often in the book, but know it's not right.

am going to see if I can't acccess all the books I've checked out at my local library sight and if not will make a point of going by there again soon and will let you know. it actually is a Teen Book I believe.. something I didn't realise at the time and though it doesn't matter to me, it doesn't read that way. it's a good, interesting glimpse into that world and the political climate, something I admit to not knowing enough about.
faerietails
freckle, i know what you mean about wanting to "trek around the world." after i finished the kite runner (which i absolutely loved), all i wanted to do was read more books dealing with middle eastern cultures. i read stolen lives: twenty years in a desert jail, which i also loved but found incredibly depressing, and i bought reading lolita in tehran, though i haven't had a chance to read it yet.

has anyone read little children? i just saw the movie yesterday, so now i've ordered the book.
anna k
I read some of Accidental Autobiography: Letters of Gregory Corso. He was a famous Beat poet who hung with the other famous ones. I'm jealous that he hitchhikes with ease all over and lives a vagabond life while still being successful and supported by successful friends. My parents hitchhiked in the 70's, but if I tried it I wouldn't trust the driver and I don't want some freak to rape me or leave my dead body by the highway. So I live vicariously through the artists who eschew responsibility and receive fame and fortune for it.

I also read a book called Hello, I'm Special, about the cult of individuality that makes people self-centered, like wanting to be pop stars on American Idol or forming their own religious credo or considering themselves rebels. It was fun to read, and reminds me of when I was a teen and reacted against being ignored by being bitter and being alone a lot. I was like the Daria character a lot, but I grew up and matured more.
nickclick
faerie, i read little children about a year ago, but haven't seen the movie yet! i really did enjoy their relationship and it's juxtaposition to the childish-ness of the group of playground moms. i hope that translated to the film. the author grew up near where i live in NJ and i can totally see where he got his inspiration!
snafooey
Freckle - cool, thanks. No worries - I'm curious, but my reading list is so long as it is. . . smile.gif
femmespeak
Memoirs of a Geisha is indeed a gorgeous book. I loved it.

And I have to admit, I didn't take to Reading Lolita in Tehran. I found it fairly boring. I started reading it because I felt like I was supposed to - so that probably had some bearing. I'll try it again this year when I'm in the mood.

I'm reading a great mystery right now for my light reading...it's the third in a series called Maisie Dobbs. I love it!! Maisie is a detective in post WWI England and it's such a good read! It's the type where all the characters grow throughout the book and it's just a who-done-it. The mystery is just 1/2 of the point of the book.

Also - my Daughter of Fortune book club date was a bust....we just didn't have the right chemistry that day and we ended up talking more about life in general than about the book which is a bummer because the book was fantastic!!
freckleface2727
femmespeak-
thankyou for saying that about Reading Lolita. I tried to read it last year, coudn't get into it, read something else, so on and so forth & finally called it quits, feeling badly for it also.

little children sounds interesting, esp as I never jelled w/ other traditional playground mom's.. will have to check it out too.

anna, both your books sounds good too, as does kite runner faerie.

I need to start an actual written-down tbr list!
treehugger
freckleface, I'm probably wrong about this, but that "girl soldier" book sounds a lot like "Pretty Birds".

Even if it's not the same book it's a pretty poignant, good book.
bunnyb
freckle, I keep a book journal listing the books that I want to read and also favourite passages from certain books.
femmespeak
I'm glad I'm not the only one, Freckle!

Also, I keep a book journal too. It's a manufactured one called Book Lust and it goes along with a ton of other Book Lust products. Anyway, it has pages that are set up for you to list what you've read and what you thought of it, pages for you to enter favorite passages, pages for you to enter books you want to read, as well as pages for you to keep track of who you've loaned books to. I love it! Other Book Lust stuff that I have and adore is an entire book of reading suggestions, and a calendar that has a different reading suggestion and questions for each month. So fun.
bunnyb
femmespeak, does it have a cover that looks like a library checked in/checked out sheet? cos I have that one!
femmespeak
It looks more like a sheet out of a journal, and it's green, and it has a brown canvassy binding, and a brown ribbon for you to keep track of what page you're on.

The library check in/check out sheet sounds like a cooler cover!
bunnyb
yours sounds lovely! I bought a friend one for Christmas with a cover resembling a bookcase full of books.

here's mine, I love it.
femmespeak
your's is very cool! Don't you just love those old dates?? I used to love going into the library and seeing the dates on there. It made me so sad when our library switched to more techy ways and took those slips out.

I also love seeing publication dates. I adore going into antique stores and seeing how old the books are, looking at inscriptions and dates....making up stories about who read them.

My most treasured gift: for my 24th birthday, my mom gave me a copy of Black Beauty which is my favorite childhood book. But this copy was given to my grandma in the 1920s, and she wrote her name and her age in it. Then when my mom was 9, she wrote her name and the date in it. Then she passed it on to me. Inside were pics of my grandma and herself at the ages they were when they wrote in the book.

So special.
nickclick
femmes, that's a lovely gift! so i guess your love of books comes from your grandma and mom! i loved black beauty, but my favorite was charlotte's web, and not only because that's my grandma's name and my middle name.
mr_falljackets
The Game by Neil Strauss led me to pick up The Art of Seduction and to shop around online for an out-of-print book on neuro-linguistic programming by Richard Bandler. Seduction skills won't do me much good now - somehow or another I did all right without having them broken down for me into routines - but it fascinates me to consider what the human mind, my human mind in particular, is supposedly susceptible to. If nothing else, perhaps I might protect myself from being seduced into buying a Pinto or an extended warranty for a toaster.

Also, I was given a homework assignment from a clearly obsessed FJ to begin reading Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care: 8th Edition. So there's that.
freckleface2727
I agree about black beauty; what a LOVELY & thoughtful gift for you to treasure!

my own favorite (kid) book, Bridge to Teribithia, one that I too couldn't wait for my girl to be old enough to read ( & she also loves it as much as I ) has been made into a movie. you might have seen the commericials for it?

DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE.
it is NOTHING like the book. nothing. granted this is based solely on commericials, but Bridge is nothing sci-fi-fantasy. I mean yes, the 2 kids do create their own make believe land, so in the literal sense I suppose I can give them the translation, but the story, at heart, is about friendship and love and the heartbreak of growing up when grownups make life-altering choices you have no control over.
ack but every time the commericial runs my girl & I get disgusted all over again & want to throw socks at the tv!

some things are just best left to the imagination.
how could katherine patterson sell out like that?

= end rant w/ apologies=
cinegirl
I though maybe I just didn't remember the book as well as I thought. Those trailers make it look like an action movie! Kids will be totally unprepared for what happens (if they actually preserve the story). How awful.

I love love love Black Beauty & Charlotte's Web. I am collecting old books I love for the day when I have a daughter who hopefully will love to read.

QUOTE(freckleface2727 @ Feb 6 2007, 02:20 PM) *

I agree about black beauty; what a LOVELY & thoughtful gift for you to treasure!

my own favorite (kid) book, Bridge to Teribithia, one that I too couldn't wait for my girl to be old enough to read ( & she also loves it as much as I ) has been made into a movie. you might have seen the commericials for it?

DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE.
it is NOTHING like the book. nothing. granted this is based solely on commericials, but Bridge is nothing sci-fi-fantasy. I mean yes, the 2 kids do create their own make believe land, so in the literal sense I suppose I can give them the translation, but the story, at heart, is about friendship and love and the heartbreak of growing up when grownups make life-altering choices you have no control over.
ack but every time the commericial runs my girl & I get disgusted all over again & want to throw socks at the tv!

some things are just best left to the imagination.
how could katherine patterson sell out like that?

= end rant w/ apologies=

roseviolet
I feel your pain, Freckle. I looooooved Bridge to Teribithia when I was a kid. It was the first book to make me cry and I read it over and over again. I'm highly skeptical of the film version. I'm so afraid that they'll feel some need to change the story & lose the whole focus!
bunnyb
femmespeak, that is such a precious gift!

Like cinegirl I too collect my favourite and classic children's lit to re-read/pass on to my much younger sister or my daughter (if I have one). Currently I have Black Beauty, Charlotte's Web (my favourite), The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, Little Lord Fauntleroy, the What Katy Did books, the Anne of Green Gables books, Little Women and Roald Dahl books (Matilda being my favourite of those).

I think we should have a If you Had a Daughter What Would You Teach Her? thread for little feminists (I would throw mine a period party and ensure that she reads The Red Tent).
mouse
ohmygod, the trailers for "bridge to terebithia" make me SO. MAD. !!!!!! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

seriously, HOW could they do that? it's clearly not anything like the story, it's just an excuse to have more big lord of the rings-style cgi bullcrap that is going to look stilted and amateur in ten years. why couldn't they just have used that premise, and called it something else? bridge to terebithia is about so much more than just the land they make up, and that's the importance of the book--not the fantasy. but of course, they'll pick and choose what makes a blockbuster.

but i mean--what if someone did a true to the book movie of bridge to terebithia? i could see that being the most beautiful, heartbreaking film ever. it would be so good.

but NO. they had to RUIN IT.
freckleface2727
ohmygosh I SO HEART wub.gif you all here!!

I 1st read bridge when I was about 11 or so.. and re-read it every-single-year now, and every-single-year I cry bc of (don't want to be a spoiler here) That Part. - like I don't know it's coming by now?

it's just one of those books that speaks directly to your heart, and yah mouse you're right, if someone DID make it the Factual Way, with gentle artistry and tender hearts, what an amazing movie it could make.

and that's what I mean by not understanding how katherine patterson could so SELL OUT.
ugh. I just don't get it.

bunnyb, that is a great idea for a new thread. y'all know I have frecklette, bc I write about her/our life all the time, and let me tell you.. when she was wee smaller and first learning to read she had trouble (or so we-were-Told, stoopid teacher) and the mr & I were pretty flummoxed at the thought of having sprung offspring who Wasn't A Reader.. it was like she suddenly morphed into an alien before our eyes!
but alas, it was just the stoopid teacher, and not our girl, and she reads virtually everything she can get her hands on and to date has 5 bookshelves in her room, all to over flowing of course. smile.gif

being able to share books that directly impact my life with her is a cool and special thing bc I think it shows her on a very deep level who I am Besides just being Her Mom. there are books in my case ( the mr & I have seperate, bc we are both total book whores and it keeps things even) that she is far too young to read yet.. but I won't shelter her from them either and instead trust her not to look yet.

bunnyb what is the Red tent ?
bunnyb
freckle: The Red Tent. Read it! Read it! Read it! There's no going back, once you have, and then pass it on to frecklette. Makes me embrace my moontime and be proud to be a woman.
femmespeak
The Red Tent is SO classic - it's definitly going to be in the women's literary canon in a major way.

Also, I always day dream about what books I'd pass on to my future daughter, or what I'd want to teach her, what I'd want her to experience as a kid. I think that thread is a great idea!! I've saved all my kids books to pass on, and every time the library has a book sale, I go an nab all the Beverly Cleary and Walter Farley books I used to read....some with 1950s publications dates....so cool.

BFG was my fav Roald Dahl book, Bunny!!

And finally - I saw the Bridge previews and was like "whaaaaa????" I turned to my partner and said "that's not what that's about!!" How misleading and off base could they be? Why not just make an original movie with the plot line they're advertising, rather than decimate a classic??
yemaya
Does anyone know the title of a children's story about two children, a boy and girl, who run away and live in the Metropolitan Mueseum?

I totally loved that story as a child and read it twice, but I cannot remember the title and I would like to lcoate the title and purchase a copy for myself.

mouse
"from the mixed-up files of mrs. basil e. frankweiler" by e.l. konigsburg , a wonderful author smile.gif

one of my faves from childhood was "the phantom tollbooth". i'd love to read that again!
pollystyrene
I keep meaning to re-read Bridge to Terabithia- we read it as an in-class book (where took turns reading aloud) when I was in 5th grade and I really loved it, but I was sick for 2 or 3 days and when I came back, I had missed some crucial parts of the book. But even so, when I saw the commercials for the movie, I knew it didn't seem to be right. I'll avoid it. Same thing with Charlotte's Web. Fuck Dakota Fanning.

Hmm, some of my favorite books when I was little- I liked The Velvet Room by Zilpha Keatley Snyder. And From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg. And Roald Dahl books.

Am I the only girl who wasn't into books about horses, or into horses in general?

ETA: Ha, cross-post with mouse & yemaya! Oh, Beverly Cleary books- I loved those, and Judy Blume.

Oh, and I forgot to say, freckle, I totally get what you said about how great it is to see how much freckle loves books, especially ones that were your favorites. I don't plan on having kids, but Le Boy and I love giving his nephews and cousin's daughter books that were our favorites. They've got oodles of Dr. Seuss, Shel Silverstein, Roald Dahl, The Stinky Cheese Man (I was a little older when that came out, but how could you not LOVE that book?!?!)
nickclick
my xmas gift to my cousin's son each year is a book, sort of a tradition from his nerdy aunt! he's now 11 and loves to read and i love him more for it. it started with dr. suess and shel silverstein. this year was bridge to terebithia and charlie and the chocolate factory. my thinking is that he'll more than likely see/already have seen the movies, so he should read the books too and compare for himself.

i'd actually never read bridge to t, it was recommended by my bf before all the trailers. he also recommended bunnicula... ever read that???
faerietails
damn, this thread is hella busy today! biggrin.gif

polly, i wasn't really into horse books either.

sadly, i don't really remember what my faves as a child were. i know i've always read for as long as i can remember, and i know i loved shel siverstein, charlotte's web and dr. seuss. but i think all my childhood reading has been blocked out by my middle school obsession with sweet valley series! seriously! when i think of reading memories, all that pop up are jessica and elizabeth wakefield! i also read the babysitters club series, but not like i devoured sweet valley. and then, of course, there's r.l. stein! *sigh*

i don't want kids of my own, but after i got over the initial shock of my brother getting someone pregnant, i've been really excited lately at the propsect of getting to buy a whole bunch of books for my soon-to-be nephew. i've been looking at a lot of robert n. munsch lately. i also want to buy my little cousin the paper bag princess. that book is awesome.
bunnyb
faerietails, I was a HUGE Sweet Valley, BSC and Point Horror fan! Also, The Saddle Club (sorry polly!) although not as much. I would devour a book of any of those series in a day throughout my eleven/twelve/early teen years.
yemaya
lol smile.gif Yay Mouse and pollystrene! I loved that girl, I thought she was so smart and brave. I distinctly remember those old spare 70's like drawings in the book and one in particular of her washing her underwear in the ladies bathroom. Another I remember was the both of them going up the escalator...what a strange memory.

Marvelous. Thanks again.

Freckle Juice was one of my favorites as well as Little House in the Big Woods, Little women and *gasp*Jane Eyre. I read that book six times. I still read it as an adult every 3-4 years. I'm due again.
lucizoe
Oh, lordy. Childhood books? We'll be here forevah...

Matilda was always my favorite Dahl...that and The Twits. All the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, Judy Blume, The Sweet Pickle books, Ramona books, Betsy books, the All of a Kind Family books, James Marshall (The Stupids, et.al.), Paula Danziger (who is right up there with Ms. Blume, in my estimation), Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Eloise, I Am the Cheese...I'm trying really hard to picture my book covers in my brain and it's not working. Maybe I should ask my parents to pack up my paperbacks...ooh, Mary Jane Auch (Cry Uncle! is hysterical) and Cynthia DeFelice...The Strange Night Writings of Jessamine Colter and Weasel are both creepy.

Ha - I couldn't stand the Chincoteague stories, but my mom has a bunch of the original hardbacks. She liked them. The only horse story I remember reading was a mystery about a barn that burned down, killing the ponies inside. I avoid animal stories because I can't handle that shit.

You know, my teachers were always trying to foist Gary Paulsen books on me and I just refused. If it had a boy on the cover I was just not.interested. I tried once and he bored me to tears.

I got to read several incarnations of my mom's book. I felt very important to be part of the editorial process.

I almost bought a copy of The Robber Bride today at the thrift store, until I realized that I read it like, five years ago and totally forgot about it.

Hmmm. I need more books.
bunnyb
Paula Danziger rocked! Definitely up there with Judy Blume. I forgot about The Little House on the Prairie books, I have those too and The Twits is my second favourite Dahl too.
yemaya
Oops. Forgot to mention the murderous teenage angst of the Christopher Pike novels. Anybody remember those?

pollystyrene
QUOTE(yemaya @ Feb 6 2007, 02:40 PM) *

...and *gasp*Jane Eyre. I read that book six times. I still read it as an adult every 3-4 years. I'm due again.

I'm like that with To Kill A Mockingbird. My mom and I both LOVE that book and we'd both read it over and over, but we'd keep losing the copy we had- I think there's about 5 copies floating around my parent's house. I finally got the anniversary edition, and it doesn't leave my house. I might get the tree on the cover tattooed on me somewhere smile.gif
roseviolet
I had a TON of freckles when I was little, so the whole premise of Freckle Juice confused me! I just couldn't understand why anyone would want freckles. smile.gif

Polly, I wasn't into horses, either. Didn't even own a My Little Pony doll. But I LOVE the Stinky Cheese Man! Have you read Polka Bats & Octopus Slacks? The funky snowman poem is classic! "Kick it, Funky Snowman!" laugh.gif
pollystyrene
No, I haven't seen that one, rose- I've seen the Three Little Pigs one and the Math Curse. I have Squids Will be Squids, I just haven't read it yet. I should pick up some of their other ones.

This is a kids book I like now- it's all photographs of teddy bears in situations. It's really cute and funny- a lot of jokes kids wouldn't get, and I wish I had it as a child.
bunnyb
I adore To Kill a Mockingbird and think it should be compulsory reading in schools.
mr_falljackets
Jack Chick tracts were like heroin to me as a kid. I collected them like baseball cards. Comedy gold.
freckleface2727
frecklette has torn thru the sweet valley series.. don't know if she's quite read all of them or not yet bc there are Zillions, but when we go to the used books store in town she always comes out w/ a orderly stack and it amazes me that the child who can't keep her room or her locker clean can know to the Exact # which ones she needs next.

who else loves the discovery that judy blume writes adult books too?
when I learned that, I felt like she had truly grown up with me.

gah, my -read around the world- might be at a stallmate.
India (the Yoga Hotel) started out so strong but really fizzled out. I think all the multi-sylabic (sp) terms and names really fried my brain. it even had a glossary in the front, which I used frequently but after awhile they all became garbled mush in my head. am not sure I am ready for Iraq right after this and might need a "fluff" break to aerate between my ears.

I will get the name of the Israelie book when I go to the library though,, bc it's really bugging me to have forgotten what I Know is a really simple title. I even looked the author up too (maybe french? bc she was from France originally; that much I do remember tho her name too escapes me) bc I had thought about emailing her.
anna k
I just started Life on Planet Rock, a memoir by Lonn Friend (the editor of RIP magazine) about his partying with Metallica, Guns 'n' Roses, and other metal bands. It's pretty entertaining so far.

Favorite Books as a Child:
Starring Sally J. Freeman as Herself (it taught me about Jewish culture, 1940s pop culture, and WWII)
A Chair for my Mother (loved the illustrations and the sweetness of the tale)
Sam, Boots, and Moonshine (great book about a girl with an active imagination)
One Morning in Maine
the Ramona Quimby series
The Witches
Little Women
(I have a lovely copy with beautiful illustrations and an inscription to my sister at Christmas 1990 - not the same as being a generational passing, but still nice)
tons of Judy Blume books

A guilty pleasure was the Goosebumps series. I was also an avid Babysitter's Club fan. I didn't like the Sleepover Friends because they seemed too ditzy and superficial.
femmespeak
Damn! That Black Beauty mention really sparked something! I guess it shows how much childhood books really mean to us.

To Kill a Mockingbird was a profound read..and one of the few movies that I could love after reading the book.

Another multiple read was The Outsiders. LOVED IT!!

and AHK! Christopher Pike novels - I remember reading two of them in a day from my older sister's collection - I didn't sleep for about 3 nights....I kept thinking some jock or cheerleader back from the dead would start tapping on my window. I think 10 is too young for Fear Street!

Oh and Anna K - I adored the Ramona Quimby books, and the Henry and Ribsey books too.

I was totally in to horse books...mostly because I was in to horses so much. I started riding lessons at 11 and by the time I was 13 I was training the new colts and fillies at a stable nearby, and mucking stalls to pay for riding lessons. I think that's why I loved Misty of Chincoteague (sp??), King of the Wind, Horse in the House and all those books. Loved them! I'd check them out from the library about every 4 months. And of course the Black Beauty book fit right in....
faerietails
Ooo, how could I forget Christopher Pike?!
crazyoldcatlady
cinegirl and faerietales... i so joined bookmooch, sent you both msgs smile.gif
this site is dangerous for a bookwhore...

i keep buying my 5 mo. old nephew books. i told my sister that no nephew of mine is going to not read.
cinegirl
QUOTE(crazyoldcatlady @ Feb 7 2007, 02:22 AM) *

cinegirl and faerietales... i so joined bookmooch, sent you both msgs smile.gif
this site is dangerous for a bookwhore...

It's totally crack for readers. My "to be read" pile is threatening to devour me smile.gif
nickclick
i'm a photo editor for a children's nonfiction book publisher, and although our books may not have the impact that fiction does, i like to think i have a teeny teensy part in shaping kids' memories and education. anyway, it's a fun job to think like a kid and look at other children's books all day. we are working on a series of biographies about children's book authors and are including paula danziger, se hinton, and roald dahl, among others.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.