Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'Looks Like We Got Ourselves a Reader...'
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
sybarite
They were dated when I read them so probably much more so now... but I loved Paul Zindel's teen angst books. They had great titles: Pardon Me, You're Stepping On My Eyeball; My Darling, My Hamburger and Confessions of a Teenage Baboon were favourites. I also directed a scene from The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds in middle school. Twisted but fun.
cinegirl
Re: Bridge to Terabithia--

The filmmakers behind Disney's upcoming fantasy film Bridge to Terabithia disavowed any connection with the movie's ad campaign, which they told SCI FI Wire was deliberately misleading. The ads show a boy and girl entering a fantasy world; the scene actually takes place at the end of the movie.

"I believe it's a stretch, and it's a very difficult decision on Disney's part, but we the filmmakers had nothing to do with that promotion," said director Gabor Csupo (The Wild Thornberrys). "We don't really think that it's an appropriate way of selling the movie, but they're convinced that that's the way to get kids interested, and hopefully they will be positively surprised. If they are anticipating a Harry Potter movie, then we are in trouble. It is not a Harry Potter kind of a movie."

The film is based on a book by Katherine Paterson, which tells the story of a friendship of a boy and girl who are bullied at school and escape into their own fantasy world of Terabithia. The book was published 30 years ago, and it took 17 years for Paterson's son, David, to co-write the screenplay and produce the project. Director Csupo said the novelist was happy with his vision: "She was very pleased from the beginning, because we did not want to turn the movie around or do a movie like the ad campaign is suggesting. We didn't want to do a movie like that."

David Paterson, who also serves as one of four producers credited for the film, said: "As a producer I can explain it in simple monetary terms: If you need honey, get a bear. And I can tell you if everyone who read the book brought three friends, then it would still lose money."

David Paterson added: "Although there is a generation that is very familiar with book, if you are over 40, then you probably haven't, and we need to reach them. ... Everyone who read the book and sees the trailer says, 'What is this? This is nothing like the book. What are you doing, Dave?' And I say, 'You know what you're seeing is 15 seconds of a 90-minute film. Give me a little leeway and respect. Go see it, and then tell me what you think.'"

When the younger Paterson first saw the trailer, he wasn't thrilled. "The lights came up, and all these suits were very happy, and I said, 'Well, my mom is going to hate it.' And they said, 'What do you mean?' And I said, 'I don't remember that from the book.'"

Katherine Paterson then accompanied her son to another meeting. "When they brought the lights up after showing me the trailer, I said, 'Well, I'm glad I had a talk with David beforehand,'" she said.

The writers do say they are happy with the outcome of the overall film, starring Josh Hutcherson (Zathura), AnnaSophia Robb (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), Zooey Deschanel (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) and Robert Patrick (Terminator 2: Judgment Day). It opens nationwide on Feb. 16. —Mike Szymanski

From SciFi channel's blog. Not that I'm a nerd or anything--I read it for work, honest!
mouse
whoah.....that's crazy. people are gonna be disappointed haha. but seriously, that's fucked-up.

also, uh, shouldn't it be "if you want a bear, get honey"? and "Although there is a generation that is very familiar with book, if you are over 40, then you probably haven't, and we need to reach them... "--they want to target the movie to 40+ year olds? wtf??
cinegirl
QUOTE(mouse @ Feb 7 2007, 06:58 PM) *

whoah.....that's crazy. people are gonna be disappointed haha. but seriously, that's fucked-up.

also, uh, shouldn't it be "if you want a bear, get honey"? and "Although there is a generation that is very familiar with book, if you are over 40, then you probably haven't, and we need to reach them... "--they want to target the movie to 40+ year olds? wtf??

I was a little confused by that, too. Maybe they meant parents?
crazyoldcatlady
so i vaguely remember the plot of "bridge" enough to watch the trailers and know that the book wasn't quite what they were selling. and to possi-blye undermind what i just said, doesn't the girl die in the end? didn't someone fall off a rope bridge?
mornington
mm, childhood books. I have a gorgeous set of australian chidlren's tales that I was given as a christening present - Blinkie Bill, Snugglepot and Cuddlepie and several others. I loved the Worst Witch, all the Roald Dahl books, Anthony Horrowitz, Little Women, the Animorphs series, and a series over here about a girl who wanted to be a vet and used to rescue animals and that. I devoured that. As for guilty childhood reading, the Saddle Club series. I adored the Narnia books too, but a lot of classics I didn't like (I hated Enid Blyton. hated). I still love looking in the children's department at waterstones, as a lot of the picture books I read are still around. The Jolly Postman was a classic. The Very Hungry Caterpillar too.
kelkello
Yeah, I saw that trailer and when it said "The Bridge to Terebithia" I was stunned. It was quite possibly one of my favorite books as a child. A wonderful nun read it to us in 6th grade, and I never forgot it. I read it again and again. To see the trailer look like that was a shock and I was terrified to think they might do that to the book. Nothing in the book is remotely like that. The two main characters, Jess and Leslie, make up a fantasy world in their heads, but they never have anything in the book about the adventures. The book is about an unconventional friendship and the aftermath of the loss of one of those friends. It's a beautiful story, and the trailer made my stomach turn. I'm glad, at least, to know the movie is really the story and that section is just a bit part.
mouse
OHMYGOD, the jolly postman! because my family is desperately anglophilic and canadian-born, i grew up with a lot of british-isms and accoutrements (crackers at christmas, marmite, etc) and the jolly postman was one of them. i even have the christmas version. SO GREAT!
mornington
i fucking love the jolly christmas postman. i still have it, packed away for when i have kids/become a mad old aunt. it is a work of brilliance, and the illustrations...

does anyone else remember hairy maclairy from donaldson's dairy? another life-changing book. and Meg and Mog.

When F told me he'd never had christmas crackers, I couldn't believe it. I sent him some in the post and he tried to unwrap one instead of pull it and it blew up in his face /derailment.
bunnyb
LOVE The Jolly Postman and bought that and the Christmas one a few years ago for the lil sis. Bought Meg and Mog too but rereading it was a disappointment.
mouse
what about "tom and lucy's christmas" or "the church mice" series? did you have those? and that is hysterical about the cracker blowing up in his face....poor guy
mornington
ooh, they ring a bell - Tom and Lucy especially. What about Winne The Witch, that was brilliant. I nearly bought a hardback collection of them a few months back just for posterity. I loved those.
roseviolet
Sadly, I have never read The Jolly Postman, but now I have the theme song for Postman Pat playing in my head! Noooooo! laugh.gif

Cinegirl, thanks so much for posting that info. Maybe the movie isn't the work of Satan, afterall. We can hope, right?

Speaking of books aimed at a younger audience, I just finished the newest Tiffany Aching book from Terry Pratchett (The Wintersmith). I really really love this character. I am a sucker for young, strong, smart female characters (Hermione, Gaiman's Coraline, etc.) and Tiffany certainly fits the bill. Anyone know if a 4th book is in the works?
superscience
I loved this book as a kid, and now I can't remember the title. I think it was about some creature (starts with a "P"?) that sailed around and met some mermaids and lost his toes because it was too cold, and someone gave him a red piece of fabric to wrap up his toes in. Does that sound familiar to anyone? It was for little kids (5-7-ish?), and had great illustrations.
sesame
superscience: I don't know the book you're looking for, but I found this site one day while I was doing a Google search for a book I loved as a kid and couldn't remember the title. You can search through the site for free, but if you don't find anything, you can submit a request for $2.

(Oh, and the book I was looking for was No Flying in the House by Betty Brock. It's about this little girl named Annabelle who lives with an older woman (aunt? grandmother? Someone not her parents...) She has this teeny-tiny white dog named Gloria. The lady has a cabinet of little wind-up figurines in her house, and one of them (a cat) comes to life, I think? She tells Annabelle that she is half-fairy and teaches her how to fly. I got this book from one of those book fairs in grade school and I must have read it a million times! Wish I still had it.)
ginger_kitty
favorite childrens books? BFG, James and the Giant Peach, Bunnicula, The Indian in the Cupboard, the Wind and the Willows, and some book I can't remember the name of about a hamster who was like Houdini and would always escape his cage. And Where the Red Fern Grows, which broke my heart. Oh and the classic Shel Silverstien books like Where the Sidewalk Ends.

The Giving Tree is my hubby's favorite, which make me think he is even more adorable.

*off to read my newest book.....White Teeth by Zadie Smith...*
mornington
gkitty, did you ever see the tv/film version of the indian in the cupboard. i loved both it and the books.

I am currently loving Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions
tommynomad
QUOTE(faerietails @ Feb 6 2007, 08:29 PM) *

damn, this thread is hella busy today! biggrin.gif
*i also want to buy my little cousin the paper bag princess. that book is awesome.

That book is awesome, as are many of Munsch's others: he's my favourite kids'-writer-i-discovered-as-an-adult.

I heart Shel, too. Lafcadio, the Lion who Shot Back is my runaway favourite. But really, there's nothing of his I don't like. Beverly Cleary's Mouse and the Motorcycle was a trip, too: I loved that he made it go by blowing raspberries! Maurice Sendak, of course.
My other childhood faves were all in Dutch:
Annie M.G. Schmidt's Pluk van de Petteflet, about a boy, his towtruck, his pet cockroach, and the crazy apartment building where they lived.
Geef me de Vijf, which featured an animated pair of scissors which scared the crap outta me.
Bolke de Beer, about a bear who paid his rent in that green stuff that floats on ponds.

Last year I bought a great children's book about Chanukah goblins that I loved. I gave it to my Dad.

Currently on the book stack: TOO MANY!

Just finished:
The Club Dumas--tonnes of fun, but I'm a sucker for books about books. This one featured Satan worship, an antiquarian who parts with two books a year like he's donating organs (relate? anyone?), and a BUSTie named Irene Adler (points if you know who that is!).
A Complicated Kindness--again, about a BUSTie, this one in small-town fundamentalist Manitoba. Absolutely gut-churning reading. Miriam Toews is Canada's Arundhathi Roy.
Culture Jam by Walle Lasn. The most important non-fiction book I've ever read. Seriously.

Now onto something called Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer. Anyone know it? (no spoilers, please!~)

Bookmooch looks awesome, but I'm actually relieved not to have been sucked in yet. Hell, I'm relieved the only decent bookstore here is 2 hours from my home. It helps my nomadism (next: Auckland!) to not have great bookstores nearby.

Do any of you release your books with bookcrossing (.com)? I love it! I used to release them in chain bookstores, just to make them batty!
superscience
sesame - thanks so much for that site! that's awesome!

tommynomad - Everything Is Illuminated is wonderful! Don't watch the movie, though. They ruin it!
snafooey
*delurking*

Oh man, do they ever!

They got rid of the entire magical realism aspect of it, which was the best part for me (though I've heard that some people have the mistaken impression that it's an accurate reflection of Jewish shtetl life, which is a little scary). They said that it would have been too unweildy, but dammit, that was half the book - both literally and figuratively. It was a complement to the contemporary story both in terms of narrative and theme. Eugene Hutz was awesome, though. Elijah Wood just spends the whole flick mugging.

Tommynomad, I loved A Complicated Kindness too.
ginger_kitty
mornington, I loved the film, too. They did a great job making it into a movie. I love everything I have read by Vonnegut, he is one of my favorite authors.

Everything Is Illuminated, is on my list of books to read. Skip the film, huh? It looked decent form the previews.
snafooey
Ginger_kitty, a lot of people really like the movie, but most of them haven't read the book first. I guess it's an issue of whether you think the filmmakers captured the essence/feel of the book. I wouldn't skip the book just to enjoy the movie more. wink.gif
bunnyb
Loved, LOVED, LOVED On Beauty by Zadie Smith.
ginger_kitty
I definately like Zadie Smith's style of writing. I'll probably become obessed and read everything she has written.
oceandessa
Me too Ginger Kitty. I love her style, and will read everything she has ever written, even the Autograph Man which was subpar, but very well-written. Like Bunny, I LOVED On Beauty.
bunnyb
She's only written three books and I haven't read one of them; White Teeth was a good read but On Beauty is in a league of its own.
pukemaster_e
Suan Faludi's book Backlash has just been re-published with a new preface. I want to read the new part without having to go buy the book again. Does anybody know if it is posted online somewhere?
roseviolet
For all of my fellow lovers of Bridge to Terabithia, NPR has a great interview with Katherine Paterson (the author of the book) and David Paterson (her son & the screenwriter/producer of the film). It's excellent & definitely worth a listen. There are also two short videos of Katherine & an excerpt from the book.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7387562
In the audio portion, Katherine & David talk about the event that inspired the story, as well as the difficulty David had in finding a production company that would respect the original story, and the criticism Katherine has faced for tackling such difficult subjects in books aimed at young people.
tommynomad
Hello BUSTies,

I put this together and threw it up on another forum I frequent. Some Lit. grads had all the answers in 45 mins (it took me that long to write it!). Thought you might enjoy it, too.

First Lines Quiz
Below are the opening lines to famous novels. Some are easy, some are harder. Some I've read, some I plan to read. See if you can identify the book and author from the opening line.

1. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

2. It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents, except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the house-tops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.

3. The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

4. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

5. I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974.

6. This is the story of Achilles' rage.

7. Getting through the night is becoming harder and harder. Last evening, I had the uneasy feeling that some men were trying to break into my room to shampoo me.

8. Ages ago, Alex, Allen and Alva arrived at Antibes, and Alva allowing all, allowing anyone, against Alex's admonition, against Allen's angry assertion: another African amusement...anyhow, as all argued, an awesome African army assembled and arduously advanced against an African anthill, assiduously annihilating ant after ant, and afterward, Alex astonishingly accuses Albert as also accepting Africa's antipodal ant annexation.

9. Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

10. Mr. ----- ------, who was usually very late in the mornings, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table.

11. Every time they got a call from the leper hospital to pick up a body Jack Delaney would feel himself coming down with the flu or something.

12. On the first Monday of the month of April, 1625, the town of Meung, in which the author of The Romance of the Rose was born, appeared to be in a perfect state of revolution as if the Hugenots had just made a second Rochelle of it.

13. I was leaning against a bar in a speak-easy on Fifty-second Street, waiting for Nora to finish her Christmas shopping, when a girl got up from the table where she had been sitting with three other people and came over to me.

14. -----, light of my life, fire of my loins.

15. It's freezing--an extraordinary 0º fahrenheit--and it's snowing, and in the language that is no longer mine the snow is qanik - big, almost weightless crystals falling in clumps and covering the ground with a layer of pulverized white frost.

16. You are about to begin reading ---- ------'s new novel, If -- - ------'s ----- - ---------.

17. He--for there could be no doubt of his sex, though the fashion of the time did something to disguise it--was in the act of slicing at the head of a Moor which swung from the rafters.

18. Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel -------- ------- was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

19. It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the expression "as pretty as an airport."

20. ----- ----, with two double bourbons inside him, sat back in the final departure lounge of Miami Airport and thought about life and death.

21. High, high above the North Pole, on the first day of 1969, two professors of English Literature approached each other at a combined velocity of 1200 miles per hour.

22. On an evening in the latter part of May a middle-aged man was walking homeward from Shaston to the village of -------, in the adjoining Vale of Blakemore or Blackmoor.

23. No one remembers her beginnings.

24. A green and yellow parrot, which hung in a cage outside the door, kept repeating over and over: "Allez vous-en! Allez vous-en! Sapristi! That's all right!"

25. My legal name is Alexander Perchov.

Enjoy and good luck!
bunnyb
quickly, as I need to run and off top of my head, reading once (answers in white):

1. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
5. Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides
6. The Iliad, Homer
14. Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
17. Orlando, Virginia Woolf
18. One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
24. The Awakening, Kate Chopin
25. Everything is Illuminated, Jonathan Safran Foer

8 is pathetic.

eta: tommy, thank you!
bunnyb
Back and a few more answers came to me (can't believe I missed them first time):

4. 1984, George Orwell
9. Anna Karenina, Tolstoy
10. I know it's a Sherlock Holmes but can't remember which.
22. Tess of the d'Ubervilles, Thomas Hardy

Here's a few extra:

26. "As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams, he found himself transformed into a giant insect."
27. "They said when trouble comes close ranks, and so the white people did."
28. "124 was spiteful."
29. "All this happened, more or less".
30. "Except for the Marabar Caves — and they are twenty miles off — the city of Chandrapore presents nothing extraordinary."

yemaya
Wow. I only got a few right and I consider myself a fairly well-versed and enthusiastic reader on the classics.**goes back to review Harold Bloom’s (stuffy elitist ass) list on essential classics also going back to review bibliography from Barzun's Dawn to Decadence**

Backlash. I read the new intro at Borders and she is saying that things have gotten much better but not by much. It is interesting how she says that in the 80’s there were many articles screaming about woman’s clocks ticking, making the choice of career versus a home and husband, and as a late 20something I see the same articles. She hasn’t inserted any new material into the book, sans 1991, although I have gotten a used copy, thinking she was going to speaking on male outrage and how the American man is being alienated by feminist angst.

Female Chauvinist Pigs. Book was very short but Ariel Levy I think succinctly articulated why I had a problem with raunch culture without making me feel like a flaming non-hip prude. Very enjoyable.

Out by Natsuo Kirino was absolutely fantastic! I love mystery and suspense and this book had such raw, noir-like, frenetic appeal that highlights some of Japanese society’s darker faces. Masako was so strong, flawed and brave. Can’t wait for Grotesque to come out with an English Translation.

Started Shutting Out the Rising Sun, which so far provides a fascinating look into a form of depression that over a million Japanese men suffer, a kind of social agoraphobia that is slowly crippling a society among low birth rates, women less likely to marry homogenous overload without a willingness to diversify.

Current books in rotation Status Syndrome, Little Scarlet, re-reading Moving Finger, and Norwegian Wood.
mouse
ooh i wanna try!

1. pride & prejudice

2. frankenstein

5. middlesex

6. iliad?

14. lolita

17. orlando?

18. 1000 years of solitude

wow, i suck at this. then again, i never was a lit major, and i probably have read a few of the ones i can't answer.

i finished "the stone diaries", which was hard to get into at first but rather remarkable. and quietly depressing.

ETA: i know at least two of bunny's!

26. metamorphosis

30. passage to india

29 is on the tip of my tongue....
vesicapisces
#2 is Edward Bulwer-Lytton's "Paul Clifford."

#15 might be "Smilla's Sense of Snow", but I wouldn't swear to it.

ETA: I checked, and it is. One of my favorites.
tommynomad
Thanks for adding, bunnyb! I know two of yours, and have two guesses.

26. Metamorphosis (Kafka)
27. Wide Sargasso Sea (Rhys)

29. Slaughterhouse Five (Vonnegut)?
30. The God of Small Things (Roy)?

I didn't like book #8, either, but it was intrigueing. Every word in chapter one starts with A. Chapter two is all A or B words. Chapter three allows A, B, or C, and so on, all the way up to chapter 26, and then back down to only As in chapter 52. Except that somewhere, the author uses an unsanctioned "I", which totally spoiled the whole thing for me.
mandolyn
i am embarrassed that i only knew #5 & 26.
i'm ashamed that i didn't know #6, 18 or 29.
my only possibly pisspoor excuse is that i graduated college 24 yrs ago.

ok. i finished fall down on your knees. i'm still not sure what to make of it, except, i don't think i liked it. in fact, i think i sort of hated it, and everyone in it. i'm a bad bustie, i know. i'd love to hear why those of you who loved it ... loved it. if we can do it without spoilage ...?

but everyone must rundontwalk and go buy christopher moore's you suck. don't even bother with reading the prequel, bloodsucking fiends (altho it would enhance the fun). this has got to be the funniest one of his yet. the protagonist, abby normal, is such a bustie!

favorite line that i intend to make my own: "watch you don't get whiplash from those moodswings, darlin."
bunnyb
(((mando))) I'm sorry you hated it but that happens (I'm not a huge fan of Middlesex). Why did I love it? something dark and twisty to get my teeth into and it was definitely both, I love family sagas and fabulous characterisation, I love having my heartstrings tugged and being shocked by a book, I love books that I don't want to be over. It blew me away, it's not often where you come across a book in which you are so emotionally invested and I felt this way about Fall on Your Knees and I feel privileged to have read it. I also read it within two days so that much involvement probably helped.
snafooey
I'm going to see Ann-Marie MacDonald (among a bunch of other authors) Friday night - I wish I had time to read Fall on Your Knees before then. . .sigh.
femmespeak
Quizzes are such fun, but that one is totally intimidating!!!

I recognize a few for the titles, a few sound vaguely familiar, and the only one where I can definitely name the author (I'm terrible with names) is #24 (it so happens to be my next book club book - I could read it over and over...)

But all in all it makes me think I don't spend nearly enough time in books.

Thanks so much for spending the time posting it!!

Mando - I can understand hating Fall on Your Knees. There were definitely parts that traumatized me. But I tend to lean more with bunny's take - there's so many levels to it and twisting stories - you can analyze it forever and still not fully understand it. I think it captures a lot of human nature.

But just because so many of us like it doesn't mean you have to!!

Also - my mom and aunts are total Christopher Moore fans. He's at a writing conference this year as a guest speaker and I'm so upset I can't afford to go. He'd be a kick to listen to.

crazyoldcatlady
ok, i'm on the bustie bandwagon. i got fall on your knees. from bookmooch!! that site's the shit, thanks to the busties who hooked a sistah up
bunnyb
Thinking about opening lines reminded me of one of my favourite books with one of the best opening lines, "I am writing this sitting in the kitchen sink". Has anyone else read Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle? It's a "young adult" book and such a great read. Whilst I am recommending: Jean-Dominique Bauby's The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is beautiful. Both are books I cherish.

eta: COCL, ADORE the new avatar! *muses at all the avatar changing going on*
deannareturns
*de-lurking*

How gratifying to see so many other BUSTies belly flopping on the quiz AND confessing to high school Sweet Valley High obsession. I read all of them (well, not the spin off series) plus tons of Sweet Dreams and other series - Couples, The Two of Us. My credible reads, or so I thought, were SE Hinton and Judy Blume. A bit earlier Romana and Folk of the Faraway Tree were my faves. And the Apple series, I remember a book called Yours Til Niagra Falls Abby but I don't remember anything else about it...except I loved it.

Finished Feminist Chauvinist Pigs last night. I agreed with her general outrage at the ubiquity of raunch stuff, but as the book went on, Levy became more heavy handed. Pretty minimal class critique too and she skimmed over a lot of queer stuff that would have complicated her narrative of feminist liberation to false sexual liberation.

I loved
On Beauty[i] by Zadie Smith.
crazyoldcatlady

smile.gif bunny, it must be contagious.

the only thing is, it's supposed to be an animated gif but it doesn't dance for me on here, at least
cinegirl
I just listened to an interview with Christopher Moore last night, from KCRW's The Business podcast. His books sound fascinating, and I've added him to my TBR list.

I am another SVH junkie--I read so, so, so many of the original series, and every time my dad saw me with one he'd make a comment about "popcorn reading." But I was obsessed. And I swear the episode where Regina dropped dead after doing coke for the first time kept me off drugs for a good long time.

I bombed out on the quiz, too sad.gif
tommynomad
I'm soooo glad people enjoyed the quiz, whether with guesses or bombing. I've crossposted it on three different online fora I belong to, and on others, people are chipping in, too:

31 - We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

32 - I am a sick man… I am a spiteful man. An unattractive man. I think that my liver hurts.

33 - Once when I was six years old I saw a magnificent picture in a book, called True Stories from Nature, about the primeval forest.

34 - The year 1866 was signalised by a remarkable incident, a mysterious and puzzling phenomenon, which doubtless no one has yet forgotten.

35 - A merry little surge of electricity piped by automatic alarm from the mood organ beside his bed awakened R... D...

36 - The boy with fair hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way towards the lagoon.

37 - 3 May Bistritz - Left Munich at 8:35 pm, on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but the train was an hour late.

38 - Abandon hope all ye who enter here is scrawled in blood red lettering on the side of the Chemical Bank near the corner of Eleventh and First and is in print large enough to be seen from the backseat of the cab as it lurches forward in the traffic leaving Wall Street and just as Timothy Price notices the words a bus pulls up, the advertisement for LES MISERABLES on its side blocking his view......

39 - Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler’s pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, “The first step to eternal life is you have to die.”

40 - What came first, the music or the misery?

41: If you're going to read this, don't bother.

42: Granted: I am an inmate of a mental hospital; my keeper is watching me, he never lets me out of his sight; there's a peephole in the door, and my keeper's eye is the shade of brown that can never see through a blue-eyed type like me.

43: All this happened, more or less.

44: It was a short one-paragraph item in the morning edition.

45: "You need the service?"

46: I first met D___ not long after my wife and I split up.

47: That was when I saw the Pendulum.

48: "The cow is there," said Ansell, lighting a match and holding it out over the carpet.

49: Woof! Woof woof! Woof! Woof!

50: Dr. I_____ had enjoyed a satisfactory day in which none of his patients had died or got any worse.

51 - Call me Ishmael.

52 - Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

53 - The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he is trembling.

54 - If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like,and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.

55 - He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish.

Have at it!
bunnyb
yay for more quotes!

31. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

36. Lord of the Flies

38. American Psycho

39. Fight Club?

42. The Tin Drum

43. Slaughterhouse Five

50. Captain Correlli's Mandolin

51. Moby Dick

52. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

53. Trainspotting

54. Catcher in the Rye

55. The Old Man and the Sea

eta: I should have known 33 - another beautiful book.
mouse
oooh i love these!!

31 - fear & loathing in las vegas

32 - crime & punishment?

33 - le petit prince!!

39 - fight club

43: slaughterhouse five; this one was already mentioned

51 - moby dick

52 - .....hitchikers?

53 - trainspotting

54 - catcher in the rye

55 - old man & the sea??
femmespeak
Okay - someone calm my fears. I live in a pretty rural, pretty conservative town. I cleaned out my "library" (read: closet full of shelves of books) and decided to get rid of anything I haven't opened in the last 3 years, and likely wouldn't. The FOUR bags of books contain a lot of feminist literature, including classics, and I want to donate them to the library.

The point: Does anyone know if libraries are required to shelve books donated to them?

My worry is that I'll donate these awesome feminist and sexuality texts, that they won't want to shelve them and so they'll toss them. I want to at least get them back if they don't shelve them!!
calpurnia

femmespeak, I'm sorry I can't answer your question about any obligations of libraries to shelve donated books, but have you thought about donating the books to a women's shelter/safe house? I would guess, depending on the centre and any governing rules, they would appreciate the genre and the gift.
punkerplus
femmespeak, no they aren't required. I was in charge of donations at the library where I worked and we did it on the basis of condition and age/topic. Any torn, yellowed, dirtied books didn't go on. They would be sold cheaply (50p-£2.00). Any books which date easily (travel, computing, etc) had to be from the past two years, no matter the condition. Literature and such was usually ok.

Although I can only speak for buckinghamshire libraries smile.gif

ETA: I wouldn't imagine them having an issue with more "radical" topics but I guess you should judge it by the type of books they already carry in stock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.