Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'Looks Like We Got Ourselves a Reader...'
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
femmespeak
Great - thanks for the info and advice. I think I'll call our local shelter and see if they want any books. If not, I'll take them down to the library and cross my fingers. smile.gif
vesicapisces
Anyone here read The Fortress of Solitude? I'm about 40 pages into it and loving it, even though it's not my usual diet of genre fiction. Really, really well written.
anna k
I read Ava Gardner's biography Love is Nothing. It started out well (tomboyish Southern girl grows into extraordinary beauty and finds herself being made into a Hollywood star), but as the story went on I found Ava less interesting. I don't think of drinking/having sex/partying being "wild," it's pretty normal, yet Ava was called a "wild spirit" over and over. She was beautiful, but so were tons of other girls, she didn't seem to have enough behind just being beautiful and good at sex. She just seemed like a good-time gal whose beauty was her ticket everywhere. I thought she got scarier-looking as she reached her thirties, to be honest.
girlbomb
Pushy author here:

So I made a trailer for my book, because the paperback's coming out next week -- here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvAE28M7WLM
femmespeak
cool - thanks girlbomb
ginger_kitty
I am been a bit busy so I just finished White Teeth yesterday. I was a little disappointed by the ending it felt like everything was wrapped up and condensed a too fast. I felt like the last couple of pages gould have been at least ten instead of two. But all and in all good book.

A friend gave me a copy of [/i]the fuck up[i], so I think that's my next read.

girlbomb, very cool. I am definately going to pick up a copy. I usually wait for everything to come out in paperback, I am poor.
tommynomad
Wow! Congratulations, girlbomb! The video is a pretty cool way of amping your book. Were you in on the process of making it?
girlbomb
Thank you, nice peoples. I appreciate the support a whole, whole lot.

And yeah, tommynomad, I helped cast and produce the thing, and that's my voice in the VO. I flattered myself by choosing an extra cute actress to play me.

smile.gif
femmespeak
Well - I did it. I donated all those books - about 100. I thought it would be painful parting with my books but it was actually pretty easy! And looking at my bookshelves at home, you'd hardly notice any were gone. I hope lots of people get some good use out of them.

On another note, I got an email announcement letting me know the newest issue of Girlistic Magazine is online. I checked it out and they have some pretty good book reviews! They also have an interview with the founder of Manic D Press. So y'all might want to check it out. (It's free and online.) Also, the whole issue looks really good - it's about feminism and technology.

anna k
I liked Girlistic a lot, thanks for posting the new issue, femmespeak.
femmespeak
No prob anna k! Glad there's a fellow fan on here!
bustygirl
Just bought Rollergirl. So far, it's great; she writes like I speak. Of course, our drummer likes to call me "Lorelei Gilmore on Crack", so that may not be a compliment.

Anyhow, even if you can't skate, the stories are told well, and her narrative style makes you feel like you've known her all your life.
lunia666
am loving read Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath's right now
freckleface2727
bustygirl , rollergirl sounds good.
I don't know why, but I've always sort of had an interest in the roller-derby thing, tho I can hardly skate and am terrified of such violence.
let us know how it is?

I am ditching my book club... mostly bc I found another one!!
I got an email about another group and the book sounds fantastic.....Dance of the Dissident's Daughter bye Sue Monk Kidd (Mermaid Chair author).

has anyone else read this yet?

I am really psyched bc I have a great interest but not much knowledge of women's spirtuality and how it meshes w/ modern religion and "church." I hope this is not a super churchy bunch of women... but from the except of the book, I don't think they will be, to have chosen this.

how do I extricate myself from the old book club? I feel guilty bc I know they need the #'s or they will disband.

as to my Reading Around the World I could- not- do- Iraq (obvious reasons perhaps, to be revisited another time?) but I hit India again and went on to England. smile.gif
mouse
oh, freck, good for you! i haven't read "dance of the dissident's daughter" but i loved "secret life of bees", which is also by sue monk kidd.
vesicapisces
Freckle, can you do both clubs? Or were you already looking for a reason to get out of the first one...?
raisingirl
Oh Freckle, I have no advice for you except maybe just tell them that it isn't working out for you and you want to go in a different direction? Just because people like to read doesn't mean they like to read the same books (this is like a duh moment I'm having because I need more coffee)... I don't know why they'd take it personally. Try not to feel guilty. Maybe your leaving will prompt them to find a couple of new members?

Oooh, The Secret Life of Bees is another one sitting around at home waiting to be read.

Busty, I love your new picture! ::wolf whistles::

Girlbomb, that was a cool video. I might have to read your book again to celebrate its paperback release.

I finally finished The Best of Everything. I'm glad I stuck it out; I read the first 50 pages and put the book down for a long time and forgot about it. Glad I read the remaining 400 pages! It's not high literature and it's not going to become my favorite book I've read in 2007 (not that the two always go hand-in-hand, duh), but it was a decent enough read. I'd recommend it.

I read Dry and because I slogged through it and wasn't impressed or touched by it, I've decided to not read Running with Scissors. I know so many of you have good things to say about it, and so does the person who loaned me the book, but I'm just not going to read it. Go ahead and throw tomatoes at me, but I'm just not in a memoir mood (with the exception of GB).
freckleface2727
vesi,
I wasn't digging the choices of the club, after the first book. (memoirs of a geisha). the 2nd book, her truest pleasure (or something like that) I had a hard time following due to time-context's and the 3rd book ( I missed the 2nd meeting bc my cat's broken leg) is their eyes were watching God, I couldn't get thru the movie and so am coping out, albeit Joyfully, w/ this new (more established) club to try.

I think what makes me feel bad is that the library had tried to have a club last year but no one came, and this new club's group is tiny, like 5 people. it makes sense that you woudn't want it so huge that there would be anonymity among the members maybe either. I don't know, but if this new group doesn't work, I may just accept that it's not to be.

I remember when running with scissors came out and remember thinking 'this is a complicated book that I think I'd have to be at a certain place in my life to read intelligently if that makes any sense?
bunnyb
Today is Gabriel Garcia Marquez's 80th birthday; to celebrate I may read some of his short stories or one of his shorter works, such as Chronicle of a Death Foretold. I love GGM and own most of his back catalogue although I haven't yet read them all; he is definitely on my list of top FIVE writers.
anna k
Saul Bellow's Seize the Day is boring so far. The main character is a dud and nothing else is grabbing me. I'm reading it for school and can't find anything interesting about it.

For fun I'm reading Peter Bogdanovich's Who the Hell's In It, about his relationships with famous actors, mostly deceased now. It's very entertaining. I also read Fiasco, about epic movie flops like Waterworld, Ishtar, Showgirls, Battlefield Earth, etc., with detailed chapters about the making of the films and why they bombed so hard.
cinegirl
QUOTE(anna k @ Mar 6 2007, 07:57 PM) *

I also read Fiasco, about epic movie flops like Waterworld, Ishtar, Showgirls, Battlefield Earth, etc., with detailed chapters about the making of the films and why they bombed so hard.

Fiasco is so fun!! I read that last fall...
sybarite
Freckle, I liked Their Eyes Were Watching God but you're so right to leave the club if it's not working for you. It is supposed to be at least partly for fun after all. Hope the new one is a better fit.

Has anyone read AS Byatt? I've read some Margaret Drabble and like her in bursts but tried to read Byatt's Still Life and sheesh... I really took against it. It just describes (very well, in fairness) a 1950s English intelligentsia that just repulses me, and I'm all for insider depictions of British highbrows most of the time. Maybe I'm just lazy.

I also seem to have suddenly gone off thrillers as being too formulaic. Once again I find myself casting about for something new...

/unfocused whining
doxy
BunnyB, I wish I knew GGM's bday was yesterday...I'd have picked a book up for an hour in his honour. Drats!

Currently reading Sophie's Choice. I don't know why I always pick up these dense but good books...takes me months to finish.

cinegirl
QUOTE(sybarite @ Mar 7 2007, 04:24 PM) *

Has anyone read AS Byatt? I've read some Margaret Drabble and like her in bursts but tried to read Byatt's Still Life and sheesh... I really took against it. It just describes (very well, in fairness) a 1950s English intelligentsia that just repulses me, and I'm all for insider depictions of British highbrows most of the time. Maybe I'm just lazy.

I read Possession, which really left me cold. I haven't read any Drabble--what would you recommend? I also gave Iris Murdoch a try (The Severed Head) but, again, eh.
revafisheye
QUOTE(cinegirl @ Mar 7 2007, 01:36 PM) *

I read Possession, which really left me cold. I haven't read any Drabble--what would you recommend? I also gave Iris Murdoch a try (The Severed Head) but, again, eh.

It took two tries, but I finally read Possession and I ended up loving it: intellectuals being overly intellectual who discover they're also painfully shy people and it's okay to connect emotionally. And it gets to be quite a good mystery. I was on pins and needles by the end, and could barely put it down till I finished it.

My first go at Byatt was a story collection, The Dijn in the Nightengale's Eye. It was lovely. You may enjoy that one. I'm reading her Matisse Stories right now. Stuffy women who crack and explode seem to be her speciality. That's okay by me.

I haven't read Drabble or Murdoch, but they are on the eternal list.
sybarite
This is probably reductive but I find Drabble and Byatt very similar; understandable, as they're sisters, but also in that they write about the same milieu, from what I can tell. I've read The Millstone, The Radiant Way and The Garrick Year. They're each kind of dark although The Millstone and The Garrick Year are much slighter.

The Radiant Way is one of a trilogy describing social history in Britain as seen through the eyes of 3 women characters. It is engrossing; I got really into it but maybe that's because I was briefly in the UK of the 80s she eventually depicts, so I had some references.

The Millstone and The Garrick Year are quite dated but that made them more interesting, for me anyway. Essentially I found all three totally absorbing at the time but for some reason I can't get into anything else by her; maybe my moment for her has passed, or something. I can see your point freckle about certain books resonating more at certain points in your life.
sesame
Hello Readers,

I never get to post in here as much as I would like. I never get to READ as much as I would like!

But I had to post because I'm about 2/3 of the way through Fall on Your Knees, and while I initially felt the same way Mando did about it (dark, depressing, sort of hated all the characters) - last night I suddenly couldn't put it down. I stayed up reading until 1:30, which is super late for me considering my son wakes me up every day at 5:30. I can't wait to see how it ends, but I'm a little worried that it might wrap up too quickly. Did any of you find this was the case? And Mando, have you finished it yet? What did you think?

Re: Gabriel Garcia Marquez - I recently got about 1/3 of the way through 100 Years of Solitude and found I had to move on. I'm disappointed, really, because I LOVED Love in the Time of Cholera. With 100YOS, though, I was charmed in the beginning, but as it wore on I felt like the story jumped around way too much without fleshing out the events enough. I dunno. Maybe I'll try it again later.

Cinegirl? I'm too lazy to scroll back at the moment and find out...were you the bringer of this delicious evil called Bookmooch into our lives?? I love it love it love it. I'm so happy to be trading books I never cared about for books I really want! I got William Goldman's abridgement of S. Morgenstern's The Princess Bride, and I'm now waiting to receive Watership Down and Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende. Yay!
cinegirl
QUOTE(sesame @ Mar 8 2007, 07:58 PM) *

Cinegirl? I'm too lazy to scroll back at the moment and find out...were you the bringer of this delicious evil called Bookmooch into our lives?? I love it love it love it. I'm so happy to be trading books I never cared about for books I really want! I got William Goldman's abridgement of S. Morgenstern's The Princess Bride, and I'm now waiting to receive Watership Down and Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende. Yay!

it was me... spreading the bookmooch love all over the place. are you one of my bustie friends? if not, i'm cinegirl over there, too--
crazyoldcatlady
this post could also double as a "you know you're a bustie when"...

... you started reading Fall on Your Knees (i love it so far, btw... i think it has to do with the initmacy that comes with completely omniscient storytelling)

... you're on bookmooch! (got FoYK in great conditon from that site, btw, and a funny thing was, i sent a book to someone on the opposite coast who used to work where i do, and we chitty chatted over regular email for a while)

sesame, i'm on there to... what's your handle there?
sesame
I'm greenie on Bookmooch. My inventory isn't too big yet, but I've got boxes of books on my back porch just waiting to be listed. You two will be my first friends! (crazyoldcatlady, what's your handle?)

raisingirl
Ohmygoodness. I might have to get in on this Bookmooch evil deliciousness. Cinegirl, I love/hate you.
cinegirl
I just mooched Who Stole Feminism? from donut whore, who I know is a bustie but now I can't remember which one sad.gif

Sesame/greenie--just sent you a friend request.

Crazyoldcatlady--I'm pretty sure we're friends but I can't remember what your Bookmooch name is.

Raisingirl--join us!!

If any busties mooch from me, I'll give you a second book for free--just pick another from my inventory & tell me which it is.

Yay bookmooch busties!
sesame
Thanks cinegirl!

Raisin...dooooooooooo iiiiiiit!!!!
crazyoldcatlady
yeah raisin, all the cool kids are doing it wink.gif

sesame, i send you a friend request.

and cine, we are 'mooch friends, "anouk"
faerietails2
*pops in*

cinegirl, that would be moi! biggrin.gif i'll try and get it out on monday. i'd do it tomorrow, but i work during post office hours. ugh.

damn, i'm gone for two weeks and it turns into a bookmooch revolution! yeah. i already have about 10 books sitting in my room just begging to be read! i'm amazed how my inventory got wiped out so quickly. i'd add more, but most of my books are back home in tx!
mandolyn
i wish i could do bookmooch, but i'm way too lazy about getting to the post office. which is tres silly, since i pass it twice a day. le sigh.

highly recommended recent reads:

the preservationist & fallen by david maine. the first is the story of noah and the ark, and the second is about adam and eve and cain and abel, both written with a modern voice. very imaginative & entertaining. and this from someone who doesn't get into biblical anything.

with smooches to mia busties chat and car for turning me onto them!

sesame, yes, i finished FOYK. don't worry, it doesn't wrap up too quickly. it wraps up pretty amazingly actually. but i still was not enamored, sad to say. finally found the one other person in the universe who didn't like it either, so now i don't feel so isolated.

really disappointed with the ending of the cell, which completely reminded me of the stand, but in a superficially inferior way. god only knows why i just ordered lisey's story. i'm a sucker for an easy read these days.
roseviolet
I finished reading Middlesex yesterday. On the whole, I liked the book. Like others, though, I kinda felt that he dropped the ball towards the end. Spoilers:
After Cal wrote that note & ran away, I expected that there would be a lot more time dedicated to how she felt during that transition into "becoming" male & how it felt to identify herself as male. It's such a momentous, complicated thing, yet it barely got any time at all. For instance, Cal casually mentions that his Adam's Apple appears ... and that's about it. Not much refelction at all. Also, I wish the author hadn't sequestered Desdemona away for 10 years. I missed her. But I still really enjoyed it.

Now I'm reading A Walk To Remember. Don't look at me like that! Everyone's allowed to read something fluffy from time to time. biggrin.gif
crazyoldcatlady
mando, if i didn't have a post office in the same building i work in, i wouldn't be doing bookmooch; it's hard to get to a real post office during their work hours.

does anyone remember the name of the book that girlbomb guiltypleasure raved a while back? it had a popsicle on the cover...
EllaMinnowPea
Roseviolet, I loved Middlesex! It's one of those books that came to me in exactly the right time and place in my life. It was one of the best I read last year.

I've just finished In the Skin of a Lion, Calamity and other stories, and am almost finished with Flatland. Still working through Only Revolutions - has anyone else battled that one? It's beautiful, but takes time to read; you have to turn it upside down and back and forth and I have to reread every page. I guess I haven't found the rhythm yet. Perhaps House of Leaves is more accessible?

In the Skin of a Lion was fantastic. A lot of people who loved The English Patient don't realize there was a prequel! I highly recommend it.
bunnyb
I'm still meh about Middlesex.

mando, it's uncanny but I picked up Fallen in a bookstore a few days ago and read the synopsis; the cool cover attracted my eye (may be different here) so must give it a go.

Going through a Gabriel Garcia Marquez phase and since last week (his 80th birthday) I've read Chronicle of a Death Foretold (fabulous), Memoirs of My Melancholy Whores (poignant) and now reading Of Love and Other Demons (so far haunting).

rose, I also started The Wee Free Men and enjoying Tiffany as a female protagonist and borrowed the boy's Good Omens.
raisingirl
Bunny, I have to commend you for being able to read so much (for pleasure, I presume?!) AND be in school at the same time. When I was in college, I was only able to do that during semester breaks.

I'm not commenting on the Book Mooch, which I suppose is a comment in and of itself.

RV, I felt the same way about the ending of Middlesex, but I still liked the book overall. I've been meaning to reread Virgin Suicides, but haven't gotten around to it. One of these years!

Catlady, you could just go to GB's profile and click on "view all posts" or whatever the option is, and scroll through her messages that way.

Currently reading jPod. It's like Microserfs, but updated. I used to like Coupland. Now? I'm not so sure. It's just making me hate computer culture even more (even though it is full of le Snark). But I'll still read the entire book just so I can be sure of my uncertainty (and the book's a biggie, too).
bunnyb
raisin, I would love to accept your commendation but I'm not currently in school (I graduated from my Master's in Nov and not returning until Aug) hence the devouring of books whilst I can. During term-time I still read a lot but it's less than I would like so taking advantage of the time and opportunity I currently have.

I've been meaning to re-read The Virgin Suicides too.
raisingirl
Oh, see, here I was thinking you were continuing straight on to the Ph.D. part! Sorry. It must be good to have some breathing room, though (and this is coming from someone who should have stayed in academia to study English Lit further)... wub.gif
mr_falljackets
Finished Brother Ray (finally) over the weekend. I love his music and respect his will to overcome his handicap but I have to question his decision to fly airplanes.

Read The Crying of Lot 49, my first attempt at Pynchon. Good - no, great - read. Aware of his reputation I was maybe a little concerned that I might not get it. I did, as it turns out, as much as you can. Left me wanting to read more of his writing.

Started The Conquest of Happiness by Bertrand Russell, my favorite thought leader at the moment. It's about happiness, why some people have it and others don't. I think I have it.
girlbomb
Catlady, I recommended Jami Attenberg's INSTANT LOVE. Good stuff.

Other recent reads: FAME JUNKIES (fun, if you're interested in celebrity culture, and simultaneously loathe yourself for being interested in it); THE EMPEROR'S CHILDREN (about three 30something friends in NYC -- mostly very good, kind of Jonathan Franzen-ian, but with a lame ending); TRANSPARENT (great -- about a woman who volunteers with transgendered teens and winds up adopting one); HIM HER HIM AGAIN THE END OF HIM (about a neurotic woman in love with a narcissist -- funny, but should have been better, definitely wait for the paperback).

Also, GIRLBOMB just came out in paperback. Coming to Target April 1!
vesicapisces
Wow. Just finished the book that Children of Men (the movie) was based on, called (surprisingly enough) The Children of Men, by P.D. James. I love her writing anyway, and I was surprised to learn that the movie was based on her writing -- she's so strongly associated with the mystery genre, particularly the Inspector Dalgleish series. VERY different from the movie - for those who have seen it, the book is much lower-key, much more emphasis on the Warden of England (Theo's cousin), and Theo himself is a 50 year old academic rather than a somewhat younger civil servant. Really moving writing anyway.
mouse
what does everyone think of anne tyler? she's my guilty pleasure. sometimes i think she's amazing, and sometimes i have a hidden suspicion that she might be the intellectual's danielle steele or something.
bunnyb
Jasper Fforde has a new Thursday next book out in July! Its title is First Amongst Sequels.
sybarite
I just finished Jane Smiley's Ten Days in the Hills and hated it. I could see there was clever satire in there, but all the characters and their monologues were so. damn. tedious.

Vesica, I agree with you about Children of Men. I found it kind of quietly heartbreaking. A weird generic departure for James, I thought.
tommynomad
Congrats on the pb, girlbomb!

Put me in the Middlesex fan club. One measure of fiction I use is how many times I need to consult a dictionary, and Eugenides got me half a dozen times--well done!

Just wrapped up the audiobook version of Neuromancer, which is still the best male-authored SF I've ever read. Next up for my commute: The Taming of the Shrew and Coriolanus!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.