Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
treehugger
Thanks for the drugstore lipsticks suggestions. CH, I'm not opposed to a higher end lipstick, but I just want to make sure I can pull off a deep red before I plunk down almost $40.00 on a tube. smile.gif

I'll try those, AP, Thank you!
auralpoison
Y'know, if you've got a Rite-Aid locally, Tree, you can return any cosmetics that make you unhappy within thirty days with a receipt.

You've quite lovely fair skin, Tree, so I can see where you'd have to try a bazillion reds before you get it right. Being beige I do not have that problem. I am the quintessential walking neutral. Good luck!
culturehandy
Tree, I think you should totally splurge on high end lipstick!! It's too bad you aren't here, because the women who help me pick great product work at a chain that just isn't in the states. sad.gif
starship
i mentioned buying a 'pro 120' eyeshadow pallette on the ebay thread a while back. well it arrived and i think its fab! i was expecting it to be really cheap looking and well, abit rubbish. but it contains about every colour you could need plus they all have a really high pigment. its got matte/natural/sparkly/shimmery/neon/bright/metalic/pastel shadows in just about everycolour going. anyway, i thought it was pretty good for the price and just wanted to recommend it to anyone who perhaps doesnt usually wear eyeshadow and needs a starter kit or perhaps just someone who feels like experimenting abit.

does anyone know of a decent moisturiser thats good for sensitive skin, doesnt cause spots and perhaps has a little spf in? theres so much out there i dont know where to begin:/
vixen_within
Starship, Toleriane is a special line for sensitive skin and has one or two that you could try.
snow white
QUOTE(starship @ Mar 15 2009, 08:39 PM) *
does anyone know of a decent moisturiser thats good for sensitive skin, doesnt cause spots and perhaps has a little spf in? theres so much out there i dont know where to begin:/

hey starship, i use nivea, just the regular formula, it's great for face and body, but i use it primarily as face cream. i know they've branched out into a million different products but the original is really nice and all i've ever used, along with the night cream, which is also very gentle, just a more dense product. buuuut it doesn't have spf (maybe a different kind of nivea does tho, i haven't investigated. i trust this brand with my skin tho, seriously. and it's pretty cheap.)

ok, as for spf, a great moisterizer for face is olay spf 30. my skin is pretty sensitive and i can use this around my eye area without any irritation, it's really nice and the bottle lasts quite awhile.

and speaking of shea butter, raw shea butter is awesome! i got some at the state fair from the african section or something like that, i'm all out and can't find anymore, but what i've been useing instead is lay it on thick. i love it, it's alittle pricey for a big tube but lasts.
culturehandy
Starship, how much money are you looking to spend?

Biotherm makes a good moisturizer, as does Clarins and lancome. Biotherm is not as expensive as the other two, but I know that all three make fabulous stuff.

I found that neutrogena didn't do crap for moisturizing after a while and in the summer, even the combination stuff still gave me oily skin. Stuff for senstive skin didn't do crud.

snow white
does anyone have any secret tips on how to get acylic nails off? i usually end up pretty much chipping them off.
angie_21
Hey snow white - I've never had acrylic nails before, but right now I am growing out some gel nails. I discovered that they can be filed down to keep the length under control while they are growing out. My hope is to keep filing them and then cover them with nail polish when they get near the tips and start looking extra goofy. Does anyone know if nail polish will stick to gel nails?
I always thought you could soak acrylics off with acetone, but of course you're supposed to go to the salon for any of it. Yeah, right, $50 for something I can kinda do myself.
auralpoison
The nail discussion reminded me of this.

I've never had faux nails, I went with my auntie once to deal with a broken one of hers & was so horrified I never tried it myself.
girltrouble
it's probably a bit late, but over a couple of days you want to soak your hands for hours in hot water. eventually it loosens the crazy glue and the acrylic. you may have to pry them off a bit, but i usually take three days to do it.

you can soak them in acetone, but that eats away at the acrylic, which can't be good for your skin. you can get little acetone nail removing soak tubs with plastic rubbers to rub away at the acrylic at a good drugstore. i just prefer the water tho.

i think that most nail polish works with nails, but generally i just paint over the salon paint then a top coat for shine.

and i don't know what idiot would heat acetone. hell, smoke a cigarette while you are having your nails removed for fucksake, that salon needs blazin'. prendelo!
snow white
gel nails? never heard of them. what r they?

well, finally my natural nails seem to be coperating, they are finally getting stronger and growing out. i took my last set of acrylics off about 3 months ago and i was just finally getting so tired of short nails i was thinking of going back. my nails are pretty thin and peel easily... i so envy ppl with nice long natural nails.

speaking of nails, actually, i just this very second while taking off my toe nail polish discoverd my big toe is starting to discolor. it looks like the beginning of a fungus. i know there are products for this at the supermarket, do they work??? i must have gotten it from my boyfriend, he has old man toe nails. i've been too shy to say anything about it to him b/c he's had it since i've known him, but now i'm going to have to. i know everyone must be thinking, omg, how did u not say anything about it before!?!? but, u know...
snow white
well, i asked my bf about his toe nails and he said they've been that way forever. when he was a kid he slammed his toe in a cupboard and it's never been the same and appently the other is sympathic or something... i just hope my toes are safe!
auralpoison
Wait. SW, are all your bf's toes crusty? Are they all yellow, thick, cloudy, crumbly? Because if they are, it probably isn't normal, it's Onychomycosis (Remember the dermatophytids commercials of a few years ago?) or any one of many different causes of nail ick instead of just previous trauma. Since it's painless & guys are gross/cheap/scared they often just let it go & forget what having normal toes are like.

And for this, women pay out the ass on insurance because we actually go to the doctor when something is amiss!

Anyway, as long as you aren't sharing socks/shoes, showering where you are both barefoot, or walking around on common surfaces with wet feet, your tosies should be fine.
candycane_girl
SW, were you wearing the nail polish on your toes for a long time? If it's just a bit yellow then I wouldn't worry about it. I think everyone's nails get discoloured if there is no break between polishing.

As for weird toes, my dad dropped something really heavy on his big toe (I think it may have been a washing machine or something) back when he and my mom moved into their first house, 30 years ago. Ever since then that one toe nail has been really thick and just nasty looking.
crinoline
between toe nail polishes it's good to rehydrate the nail and rub oil (nail oil, baby oil, olive oil) or vaseline into them a few times a day. I used to get discoloration because my toes were painted 24/7 , but now I take a break of like a day between polishes.
auralpoison
Yeah, I received a tin of Burts Bees lemon cuticle junk in a gift set & I use it to give my nails a breather between polishings.

I have no left pinky toenail. I mangled it.
Persiflager
Has anyone tried this foundation faker from Benefit? I like the idea of having a bit of coverage without having to bother with powder (for lo! I am lazy).

Failing that, any tips on light-ish foundation that looks acceptable without powder?
candycane_girl
So it only comes in the one shade? Last year I was using Benefit's Play Sticks a lot and while it provided great coverage it was a bit greasy. Of course, maybe that was just my skin anyway at the end of the day.

I find it really frustrating to try to find a good foundation for my skin. I'm 24 but I still have pimples and what's more is that I still have marks from acne. I think I'm going to go back to my doctor to get some stuff that is supposed to fade the marks. Anyway, in addition to the spots my skin also likes to turn bright red for no reason. I don't have rosacea but the colour of my skin seems to coincide with my sinuses. Like, if the weather changes and my sinuses are hurting my skin will go really red and it feels like I'm burning up but it's not a real fever. I don't even bother to wear blush because of it.

Right now I'm using that Revlon stuff that's supposed to magically blend in with your skin and I bought it in light-medium but I think that I might just need light. I'm not sure if I should use that or go back to the Play Sticks. I think I need something that will let my skin breathe!
thepointybird
Hey all,

sorry to threadjack a bit, but is anyone here a fan of red lipstick? I got some in a shade I like but my top lip isn't very well defined, so I need a good red lip liner, but not sure where to go for that? I don't want to spend mega money. The lipstick is more like a blue-ish red and I'm pretty pale skinned and have black hair. I'm hoping to get the perfect Dita Von Teese (or at least Polly Harvey!) look!
auralpoison
Best lip liner I ever bought on the cheap was Wet & Wild. It'll set you back about .99. #666 is like Smith's Rosebud Salve in that it's in every in the know makeup magician's case.
thepointybird
Thanks AP, I will check it out. 99 cents is my kinda price tag!
crazyoldcatlady
does anyone know any site/youtube videos that give make-up how-tos? i'm damn near 30 and should probably learn some legit techniques beyond "eh, that's good enough."
auralpoison
There are several clips on Youtube by MAC & others explaining how-to's & tips. Try Makeupgeek.com.
MadameHooch
QUOTE(Persiflager @ Jul 22 2009, 04:56 PM) *
Has anyone tried this foundation faker from Benefit? I like the idea of having a bit of coverage without having to bother with powder (for lo! I am lazy).

Failing that, any tips on light-ish foundation that looks acceptable without powder?

Did you ever end up trying that? I was playing around with it in a department store the other day, I'm kind of tempted to go back and buy it. Just wondering if you had an opinion before I drop thirty freaking american dollars on it on it!
culturehandy
CCG, what about a tinted moisturizer? I use one as I don't do foundation, and it works fabulously, hides things and evens out skin tone.
candycane_girl
My face gets red really easily. It gets set off at the littlest thing: working up a small sweat from walking fast, getting angry or embarrassed and (most common) when my sinuses act up. So I find that tinted moisturizer just doesn't cut it.
culturehandy
Ah. I know a friend of mine has, according to her acne scarring (which I've never seen) she attributes is to MAC foundations and stuff, I gave her a sample of clairins which she also really enjoys.
candycane_girl
Acne scarring can really only come from picking at pimples and never letting them properly heal or if the acne was so bad that even after it went away scars were left. I'm guessing that by using MAC foundation, her skin got clogged up and her acne got even worse resulting in the scars.

I have marks but I wouldn't necessarily call them scars. I need to get back to using a certain facial cream that was prescribed to me. It really helped to minimize the marks.
culturehandy
oops, my piss poor grammar, it should have read, the lack of anyone being able to see her acne scarring is due to her using MAC foundation.
snow white
candy, i actually just read something about flushing easily. if i remember it right it said putting hydrocortisone cream on the area decreases or eliminates the reddness. here's a link to an article from webmd, i hope it helps smile.gif

reddness relief

has anyone used the vibrating mascara thing? when i first saw the commercials for it i thought, they must think women will buy anything that vibrates... but does it work!?!
Persiflager
Late reply on the Benefit foundation faker for MadameHooch - it's worked really well for me. Great coverage, and easy to apply.

I also bought the Benefit That gal face primer, and have been using that a lot. I wear it under the foundation faker when I want to look properly smart, or by itself to perk my skin up on 'no make-up' days.
snow white
ok busties, i have a pretty shallow question (but i'm a girl and i think about this stuff). i was looking at the family pictures taken over Labor Day weekend and i looked really crappy in every one, despite feeling like i looked awesome, so can ppl look different in pictures than they do in real life (i've asked my boyfriend but he always says i look great...good answer, but what a cop out). i don't want to look back in 50 years and think this is how i looked, like a pumpkin head! anyone else have this problem?
auralpoison
Do you think internet dating would be as popular as it is if it weren't possible for somebody to look way different in a picture than in person? It all depends upon the conditions.

I did photography for years & know all of the tricks, but I take nothing but exceedingly poor *candid* photographs even when I know I look good. I do not know why. I always look drunk & one eye goes all wonky. The only reason my passport photo isn't horrible is because I primped for four hours & the conditions were controlled. And I know Zoya did even more than that to make sure hers was presentable!
girltrouble
i'm with aural. you can look terrific irl but take horrible pictures.

that said, there are bitches who take nothing but good pictures, and i hate them with every fiber of my being. somewhere deep inside i have a fear of cameras. i have a tendency to flinch. the end result is that i look like i'm in pain or about to be bitch slapped when a camera is aimed in my direction. to counter act this, i've taken to taking tons of pix with my webcam in controlled circumstances in the hopes that i will gain some comfort when someone is snapping pix. it's helped a bit, but looking good for a picture is a totally different thing, and doesn't always translate.

as for looking back at your pictures in horror when you are older. it's going to happen unless you are one of them good-picture-taking-bitches, and even then, the trendy hair, make up, or clothes will do you in. when you get older you also grow into a sense of humor about it. there are much worse things in life. take it from an almost old biddy who hates pix. wink.gif
auralpoison
I have an utterly pathological fear of cameras. My hand immediately goes up in front of my face when somebody points one in my direction.

For the Lushies, from now until September 30, 2009 (Started the tenth, duh me.) enter promo code LUSHFRIEND4LIFE at checkout and receive free shipping on orders of $65 or more. Offer limited to web orders shipped Standard Shipping within the continental US and 2-Day Air (Alaska and Hawaii). Orders must be placed by 11:59 pm (PST) September 30, 2009 to qualify.
kari
I also take bad pics. It stinks!
kari
So, I got a facial about a month ago. I think it really helped my skin. I've been using the product samples that the lady gave me to try out. I think they are really improving my skin tone & quality. Which is great, except that now I have to scrape together some cash to buy 'em. Hmpf.

Snow white, we were just talking about that vibrating mascara this weekend. Looks weird, doesn't it?
snow white
wow, i always see everyone mugging for cameras so i thought i was the only one who hated it tongue.gif. i'm relieved it's not just me!

i think the vibrating mascara is hilarious but as soon as i have a reason i'm sure i'll buy it lol.
roseviolet
The idea of putting a pointy, vibrating object that close to my eye is really disturbing.
snow white
lol
spot-on
Can anyone recommend a good brand of cosmetics? I need something hypoallergenic (esp near eyes) and definitely something containing no animal ingredients or tested on animals. Personal recommendations/experiences preferred otherwise I'd just google smile.gif
auralpoison
I've tried products from Medusa (PETA approved!), Ecco Bella, Zuzu Luxe, & Bare Escentuals & I think all four meet your criteria. I've only used their eye stuff (shadows, liquid liners, mascara, Medusa eye dust=AWESOME), though cos my eyes can be sensitive. It all seemed pretty non-irritating, but I found the mascara lacking. The main downside is that the stuff is expensive as hell & isn't available at your local store.
spot-on
yep auralpoison that's been the problem, not having them local. And like you I have sensitive eyes, esp to mascara. I'm looking mostly for eye makeup and lipglosses. My other issue is they have to be hard wearing and not slide off, which has been an issue with some brands
auralpoison
Lush promo: Enter promo code E09GIFTS10 at checkout and save 10% off your wrapped gift purchases. Orders must be placed by 11:59 pm (Pacific Time) November 1st, 2009 to qualify for discount.

I think I bought the Ecco & the Zuzu at my local Whole Foods back home, the BE at their shop, & I ordered the Medusa online.

Lush has a really great vegan makeup line, but it's only available in the UK, Japan, & Austria. Bastards.

Urban Decay isn't 100% vegan, but they can provide you with a list of which products they do carry are.
spot-on
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Oct 17 2009, 04:44 AM) *
Lush promo: Enter promo code E09GIFTS10 at checkout and save 10% off your wrapped gift purchases. Orders must be placed by 11:59 pm (Pacific Time) November 1st, 2009 to qualify for discount.

I think I bought the Ecco & the Zuzu at my local Whole Foods back home, the BE at their shop, & I ordered the Medusa online.

Lush has a really great vegan makeup line, but it's only available in the UK, Japan, & Austria. Bastards.

Urban Decay isn't 100% vegan, but they can provide you with a list of which products they do carry are.

Ooooh we have a whole foods in the next city over, maybe next time I'm over there I'll pop in and see what they have. The only 'natural' place we have here is the body shop. Since they got bought out by L'oreal I've been reluctant to go since L'oreal products have always made my skin break out into a dry horrible red raw mess. I dunno if they've changed ingredients or anything since the buy out, but I just don't like L'oreal since they used to test on animals. Thanks for the info!
auralpoison
I got a sample of Bare Escentuals Buxom Lips lipgloss today. Not bad. Weirdly tingly. Not tacky. I'd say it's a win so far.
culturehandy
I bought myself some Biotherm foundation. Shit is awesome!!! I'm not a foundation wearer, but I do use tinted moisturizer by Clarins. Well, both products are the same consistency, and the foundation did not wear off, by the end of the day, it looked like I had just put my make up on.

And it's pretty reasonably priced, too. definately a product I'll be purchasing again.
spot-on
Has anyone tried ELF cosmetics? Friend of mine said she bought some from Target, the site and literature says they don't test on animals or contain animal ingredients. The site says they are hypoallergenic etc. BUT they are only $1 a piece, and I wonder about the quality.
auralpoison
If you're gonna buy e.l.f., buy it from Target or Drugstore.com, do not buy from their website. They are fuckwits. The lip products are good, the mascara & the kohl liner, too. Everything else is shite, especially the eyeshadows.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.