Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buffyverse - all things buffy, angel-y and whedon-y
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
bunnyb
um, no the movie wasn't allowed. sorry you're leaving.
bunnyb
As it's Friday, here's that Friday feeling.

I know it's the Mayor but can't put finger on episode as brain mush.
sassypants
I just wanted to pop in and say, after four months of hard work and sacrifice I have finished watching all seven seasons of Buffy. I am tres excited to be joining in on this thread as a proud follower of Joss. Carry on.
lollaleeloo
*raises glass*
Welcome, pilgrim.
kittenb
Well, I refuse to let this game die without a fight goshdarnit!

My last quote was from "Enemies." Mayor to Faith.

"Still trying not to refer to you lot as 'bloody colonials.'"
bunnyb
well, I knew it was the mayor so third of a point!

Giles in the season 4 thanksgiving episode, the one when angel visits - "pangs"?

eta: yay! it was (and I forgot to say that it was to Buffy after she corrected him on his use of "Indians" instead of "Native Americans")

"One of us is very confused, and I honestly don't know which."
kittenb
Damn, I get slapped down and stumped by the bunny.
prophecy_grrl
That would be Xander to Anya in “The Prom” (one of my fav eps) - really the unofficial start of their relationship and a sign of the great Xander/Anya dialogue to come.
bunnyb
woot! now, how did I know you'd be a buffy fan? wink.gif

your turn - any quote from any Buffy episode (no film or spin off) and we have to guess who said and to whom in which ep.
prophecy_grrl
yipee!

"Like an Oreo cookie. Well, except for, you know... without the chocolatey cookie goodness."
bunnyb
tis willow in an early season but not sure the ep ... i'll find out though, unless someone beats me to it!

*by find out, we don't google or anything but wrack our buffy-obsessed brains or watch eps until we find the quote or go insane.
excusemesenor
*popping in to give love to Buffy*
prophecy_grrl
*bunny, you're on the right track!*

Not to break up the always-exciting Buffy quote game, but I wondered how juiced-up everyone is about the new Whedon/Buffy comic? It's sort of old news at this point, but I'm just twitchy at the idea of the contituation of the Buffy-saga in any medium. It was suppoed to be released in October 2006 and is now pushed to March 2007 ((sigh)).

Anyway, for those who haven't heard, Whedon and other former Buffy writers will release a new, ongoing Buffy series that would take place after "Chosen" and be considered the "canonical Season 8." (info from whedonesque.com)

Imagine the possibilities . . .
maddy29
what? WHAT???? ok i must be misunderstanding, but it sounded like you said there was going to be a new TV series picking up after buffy left off? i'm going to calmly breathe until you write back. or is it just a comic book?
prophecy_grrl
Sorry - it is a *comic* series! Not nearly as exciting as TV, but still good news, no?
maddy29
sigh, ok. i'm glad i didn't get tooooo dorkily excited. i'll read the comic probably, although yeah, it's just not the same!

i tape and watch angel reruns everyday, i just miss buffy too-i wish they'd rerun it, does anyone know why they don't? or is just in boston that they deprive us?

sigh again-they were such good shows. i mean angel needed something different to happen, but why did they have to kill wesley and fred? and cordy? who else did they kill during the last season?

i just miss those shows so much smile.gif
prophecy_grrl
In the Chi-town area they re-run Buffy really early in the morning (6:00am C) on FX - Fox's basic cable station. Our local UPN/WB (now CW) affiliate doesn’t re-run it, though.

I miss the shows, too. I guess that's why I'm so excited about the comic series. After the shows ended, there were all these rumors about how/if the saga would continue. There was the Buffy animated series that the Cartoon Network agreed to pick up, then backed out. Then there was the series of made-for-dvd movies that were each supposed to focus on a different character (Spike, Faith, and Willow) and that never materialized. With SMG refusing to reprise her role as Buffy, it certainly limits the options.

As long as Whedon and the other staff writers are behind the comic, I have no doubt that it will be good. I'm just looking forward to see where they take the story and characters.
bunnyb
Nathan Fillion (Mal in Firefly and Caleb in Buffy) is going to star in a couple of episodes of Lost, in flashbacks of Kate's (rumoured to be her hubby). This may have been mentioned in the Lost thread but I'm staying out of there as haven't seen any of season three yet.
kittenb
Thanks BunnyB!

In other guest star news, Amber Benson is going to be on Supernatural tonight, as a vampire, I think. And Anthony Stewart Head is going to be on Dr. Who this Friday on the Sci-Fi Channel!!!!!
musicfit
I wish I had cable. I cannot imagine Amber as a vampire. Tara was such a sweet, gentle character. I really would love to see this Supernatural show.

And Anthony Stewart Head...he's so wonderful. He would make a perfect Dr. Who.
kittenb
Supernatural is on the CW network. It's not cable.

ASH is, I think, playing a villian on Dr. Who, but you are so right. He would be an awsome Dr. The current Dr. is the very yummy David Tennant.
bunnyb
*resurrects the thread*

Have any of my fellow Buffy fans read any good academic work on the programme? If so, could you recommend titles for me please?

Also, for those who have also watched Veronica Mars: what did you think of Charisma Carpenter and Alyson Hannigan's roles in VM and the one scene where they interacted with one another?
kittenb
This really is the thread that will not die, isn't it? This weekend I bought two more sesons of Buffy on DVD so I spent a good portion of Sunday watching them. It really is so much better then when I watch it in syndication.

I enjoyed What Would Buffy Do?. Considering that Joss is an atheist, it was always suprising how spiritual the show could be.

Here is some fun for Firefly fans. And it starts with the best line from the movie: Shake Your Tailfeather!
wombat
*wild scream!!*
How did I miss Alyson Hanigan -- or did I -- wait --- It was kinda boring (heresy! I love her, but seriously, it barely made an impact. When did they interact?)

Charisma, of course, was fabulous as yet another evil and boobalicious character. Especially when first encountered, and when Veronica does the switcheroo at the treadmill. Oh, did I mention "bootylicious"? That too.

bunnyb
would you want it to die, kitty?! thanks for the rec, I've seen it but good to read positive review.

wombat, Alyson played the part of Trina Echolls -Logan's sister- in several episodes and interacted with Charisma in a scene from season 2 in Duncan and Logan's hotel suite. It was weird as it took me about a minute to realise it was them together again! I think that is testament to the writing of both shows: the characters are so real.

Kendall Casablanca seems like an older version of season one Cordy and Trina Echolls was a little annoyed but shared Wilow's cuteness.
oceandessa
I also enjoyed Buffy and Philosophy, as well as the Serenity essay book (I forget the name now). Also - the graphic novel Fray (a futuristic slayer) and the Serenity graphic novel are both EXCELLENT Whedon fixes for those interested.

Also - Apparently Joss Whedon is writing more firefly comics. Shiny!
wombat
Thanks, bunnyb! Now I remember her -- it's amazing how different she was from Willow. Like you say. The strong characters in each series would override the recognition of the actress.
prophecy_grrl
Can't resist chiming in . . .

I recently enjoyed Sex and the Slayer by Lorna Jowett. It's loaded with academic jargon, but still fun.

Anything by Rhonda Wilcox is good and always accessible. Her recent compilation, Why Buffy Matters, has a good essay comparing Buffy and Harry Potter. She's also the editor of Slayage: The Online International Journal of Buffy Studies.

Also, Girls Who Bite Back: Witches, Mutants, Slayers and Freaks, is about ass-kicking women in pop culture and it's really fantastic. It mostly deals with superheroines, but I'd like to think Veronica Mars could have a place in that book, too.

For general Buffy reference, Keith Topping's The Complete Slayer is where it's at.
bunnyb
prophecy_grrl, you are an angel - thank you smile.gif.

I had already come across Sex and the Slayer but forgotten about it and I think it's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to try writing something on Buffy and Veronica Mars.
prophecy_grrl
had to bump the thread - buffy will not die!

We need a new game or something . . . how 'bout best or favorite uses of music in the Buffyverse? (idea stolen from another message board)

My 2 cents:

Cibo Matto – Sugar Water in "When She Was Bad:" I picture Buffy doing the sexy dance with Xander whenever I hear this.

Cream – Tales of Brave Ulysses: I love how this song is used for comedic purpose in "Band Candy" and then brought back for a really touching moment in "Forever" as Giles grieves over Joyce's death.

The Sundays – Wild Horses: the Stones song as done by The Sundays in "Prom." Picturing Angel showing up in his tux for one last dance gets me choked up every time.

The bit from La Boheme that's used when Giles finds Jenny's body in "Passion." Gut wrenching.

Sarah McLachlan – Full of Grace in “Becoming Pt. 2:” So painful - it's like the song was written for that episode.

Also, I love the impov piece Giles does at the Bronze during the dream sequence in "Restless." I don't know that it has a name, but it's so funny and Giles is a great frontman!
kittenb
Best use of music for me was "Behind Blue Eyes" when Giles was singing in "Where the wild things are."
Although that Sarah McLauchlan song just guts me everytime I watch the end of Season 2.
roseviolet
Speaking of music, do any of you know where I might be able to watch "Once More, With Feeling" on the internet? The first 8 minutes are available on You Tube, but I want to watch the whole thing.

By the by, I think my old friend Dustin plays the civilian singing about his dry cleaning: "They got the mustard oooooout!!!!!!" It certainly looks and sounds like him.

ETA: Well, damn. My internet research says that the Mustard Man is not Dustin. But damn, it sure looks and sounds like him! Creepy!
tyger
i thought mustard guy was david greenwalt? oui? i'm not getting my buffyverse trivia mixed up, i hope!
When does the new buffy comic start? i want now!!!
prophecy_grrl
Actually, David Fury was the mustard man (also a writer/producer for Buffy and Angel). He also played the puppet guy in Smile Time.

Buffy comic starts in March; check out this interview with Joss for all the exciting details.
maddy29
yah, it's weird that when i hear certain songs it totally triggers this buffy-reaction in me-that "full of grace" song i LOVE and it always makes me bawl...

i want a soundtrack for buffy and (yes i'm a huge dork) charmed. there are some songs on charmed that are so good and i don't know any of them...they always seem so perfectly chosen.

i've been taping buffy reruns at 7 am on F/X-finally they are showing them again! yay!
wombat
"Faith, Hope and Trick" epi when Faith first comes to town is on YouTube.
sidecar
That ep where they walk in on Giles singing "Behind Blue Eyes" cracks me up every time.
kittenb
Okay, now...
Top Five Giles Moments! And, yes, you must only pick FIVE!

5. Smothering Ben b/c he knew Glory would be back.
4. Attacking Angel with a burning club in "Passion."
3. When he confronts Buffy about Angel not being dead. "Angel tourtured me. For hours. For pleasure. You should should have told me he was back; you didn't. You have no respect for me or the job I perform." Anyone who has ever really upset a parent cannot watch that scene w/o cringing!
2. The all-too brief sword fight whe he saves Wesley from the giant Jabba demon in Season 3.
1. The duet with Tara in "Once More With Feeling."

I know that I am missing a few great moments, but this is my current list.
maryellensw
QUOTE(prophecy_grrl @ Nov 28 2006, 05:48 PM) *

Can't resist chiming in . . .

I recently enjoyed Sex and the Slayer by Lorna Jowett. It's loaded with academic jargon, but still fun.

Anything by Rhonda Wilcox is good and always accessible. Her recent compilation, Why Buffy Matters, has a good essay comparing Buffy and Harry Potter. She's also the editor of Slayage: The Online International Journal of Buffy Studies.

Also, Girls Who Bite Back: Witches, Mutants, Slayers and Freaks, is about ass-kicking women in pop culture and it's really fantastic. It mostly deals with superheroines, but I'd like to think Veronica Mars could have a place in that book, too.

For general Buffy reference, Keith Topping's The Complete Slayer is where it's at.

Reading the Vampire Slayer by Roz Kaveney is a great book. The new edition includes both Angel and Buffy and covers a wide variety of topics. It has an indispensible episode guide for all seasons of Buffy and the firs four of Angel. I bought it at Women and Children First Books in Chicago.
ImDancingBarefoot
Ack! A Whedon thread! ~does a dorky happy dance~

Um, that's all for now. Carry on.
prophecy_grrl
Top five Giles moments:

So many to choose from and kitten got some of the best already!

5. Dead Man's Party, Season 3. Two great moments here (am I cheating by combining them?). First, Giles' private moment of happiness in his kitchen when Buffy returns. Just a subtle smile and nod, but so endearing. Second, in mocking voice, with disgust "Oh, look at my mask, isn't it pretty. It raises the dead. Bloody Americans!"

4. A New Man, Season 4. This whole ep is one great Giles moment, but I especially love when he chases Maggie Walsh as Fyarl-Demon-Giles.

3. Band Candy, Season 3. Giles and Joyce, 'nuff said

2. Restless, Season 4. Giles singing the Exposition Song (found out it does have a name!) in the Bronze:

Strange, it’s not like anything we faced before,
But it seems familiar somehow.
Of course. The spell we cast with Buffy must have released,
Some primal evil that’s come back seeking,
I’m not sure what.
Willow, look through the chronicles for a reference to a warrior beast.
I’ve got to warn Buffy. There’s every chance she might be next.
And Xander, help Willow.
And try not to bleed on my couch I’ve just had it steam cleaned.

1. Innocence, Season 2. When Giles and Buffy are the car at the end of the episode and she says "you must be so disappointed in me" and Giles responds that he's not "if it's guilt you're looking for, Buffy, I'm not your man. All you will get from me is my support. And my respect." aww!
bunnyb
All of those moments are my favourites! TheInnocence scene kills me though.

add to list:

Passion - the entire episode, the raw emotion on his face, sniff.

Buffy vs. Dracula - Giles in the pit with the three Furies.

eta: OMG, I may have just died and gone to crush heaven - Tony Head is starring in Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd with Johnny Depp and Alan Rickman - that much eye candy in the one sitting is dangerous!
kittenb
eta: OMG, I may have just died and gone to crush heaven - Tony Head is starring in Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd with Johnny Depp and Alan Rickman - that much eye candy in the one sitting is dangerous!

EEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKK! OMG! I think I just had a total geekgasm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bunnyb
hehe - it's a musical too! Giles singing again!
pollystyrene
QUOTE(bunnyb @ Jan 8 2007, 06:14 PM) *

Oh, that's too much. I think I'd be asked to leave if I saw that in the theater.
prophecy_grrl
WoW! That Sweeney Todd is a fangirl's (sexy) dream come true wub.gif I just hope it doesn't get the really heavy-handed Tim Burton treatment - Charlie & the CF was a little too much even for me.

Cuz we can't get enough of Giles singing, and cuz I'm obsessed with the Exposition Song, here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAhmeOEVWxI

plus, a little "Behind Blue Eyes" . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVFKifPEBMY
vesicapisces
Re: best music - what episode is it that Sarah McLachlan does the St. Francis Prayer? I LOVE that piece.

Also, not necessarily for the music, but the Aimee Mann cameo where she comes off stage and says something disgustedly about, "man, I hate vampires."
pollystyrene
(cross-posting in the Harry Potter thread) I was reading the IMDB message boards for Tony Head and someone suggested that they should cast him as the muggle Prime Minister (he doesn't actually have a name, does he?) in the 6th movie. Mmm, that would be good.
kittenb
I just hope it doesn't get the really heavy-handed Tim Burton treatment

I am not sure if you can get too heavy-handed with a musical about a vengeful serial killer who turns his victims into meat pies.
Bethiepie
QUOTE(vesicapisces @ Jan 12 2007, 02:02 PM) *

Re: best music - what episode is it that Sarah McLachlan does the St. Francis Prayer? I LOVE that piece.

That was 'Grave', the last episode of Season 6.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.