Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
ladylibrary
wow voodoo you weren't joking about your knowledge on sports nutrition! im excited to use some of your imput. since i am exercsing again i have decided that i want to train for a 5k. i just bought some new running shoes and have been working my leg muscles like a mad women since i used to run all the time and love it (despite the fact that i became lazy and stopped). it shouldn't be too hard to start up again. i am also gonna use your advice about push ups too. i realized that i have been doing them and not seeing the results i wanted b/c i am only working part of my muscles and not pushing myself hard enough. you rock voodoo!

i also can not tell you how fast i have seen a change in my body by using a stability ball for leg and ab exercises. i highly recommend getting one.
voodoo_princess
ladylibrary - on the push up thing..... I use the exercise ball when I do my push ups and the less "leg" I have on the ball, the harder the push up becomes and using the ball puts you in more of a "feet elevated" position which is good too..... just remember on hand positioning that....

1. the FARTHER APART you space your hands and FLY(let elbows go OUTWARD instead of being tucked in) your elbows on the downward stroke, the more you work your CHEST.

2. the closer TOGETHER(or more straight in line with your SHOULDERS) you place your hands AND keep your elbows TUCKED(pulled in along side your breast / sides) on the downward stroke, the more you will work your TRICEP or BACK OF YOUR ARM.

HEY everybody.... here is an AWSOME salad for getting that PROTEIN up and building that LEAN muscle......

SMOKED SALMON CAESAR SALAD
2 & 1/2 cups hearts of romaine packaged salad
2 cups baby arugula and mixed greens packaged salad blend
8 marinated artichoke hearts, quartered
1/2 cup canned, rinsed, drained cannellini beans(white kidney beans)
6 oz smoked salmon packaged (pouches)
18 whole-grain Caesar croutons
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Mix it up in bowl and top with (crumbled up) salmon
BEST DRESSING TO USE - any LIGHT Caesar dressing

NUTRTION FACTS: (per serving, no dressing) 389 calories / 43 g protein / 28 g carbohydrates / 14 g fat (3 g sat. fat) / 9 g fiber

OH, and BTW.... according to Muscle and Fitness magazine.... LOW FAT dressings are a BETTER CHOICE than FAT FREE dressings BECAUSE.... "reasearch shows that FAT is critical for absorbing the nutrients in salads"
and, if you like NUTS in your salads.... WALNUTS are the way to go because they contain the MOST omega-3 fatty acids..... good stuff!

The salmon will provide you with PROTEIN and OMEGA-3's which stimulate growth(muscle) and promote FAT LOSS (and it's good BRAIN food!) The cannellini beans boost the protein and fiber even more.....

I know the calories and carbs look SCARY high, but if you're working out, this salad will do you more good than harm!
I got this recipe from a muscle mag and I love it!

raisingirl
Oh Risala, after I posted that I realized from our dyed-shoe "discussion" that my bike probably isn't going to fit you after all. Oops!
pixiedust
ugggh..I am so out of shape..even with the simple exercises I have been doing over the last few months. I took a bike ride yeasterday and let me tell you, my legs BURNED very early on in the ride so I had to make frequent stops. But at least I got out there...baby steps I suppose. I know that the only way I am going to get my legs into the shape I want is running or biking...and I hate to run. Plus, if I decide to quit in the middle of a ride, I still have to lug the bike home...more of an incentive to keep going.
risala
Hahaha, Raisin. Despite my extremely large feet I'm only about 5'6". But really you shouldn't sell it anyway.

Umm, too hot to do anything? Except maybe go to the pool. I should probably haul my ass over there.

Happy Birthday, Ris!
pepper
crap. i had plans to go to the pool with my sister this afternoon but the little man seems to be coming down with something and i'm keeping him home for the day. there Is a hot pool there that we could go in but i still don't think he should get all wet right now. poo. i am getting NO exercise these days, unless you count tossing and turning in bed all night. i feel like a slug.
ris
Oooooh, thanks, RisaLa. Wish ya coulda been here for the bash last night. (Since when are you only 5'6"? I thought you were at least 5'8".)

Man, oh man, did I get my eat on yesterday! It's a damn good thing I ran 8.5 miles the day before.

Raisin, don't sell the bike. You'll get back on it again.
risala
Actually I'm more like 5'5.5" but I like to call it 5'6" :-) I know, I wish I could have made it. I so wanted to! Did you get something by email from me??
maddy29
This is sorta dumb. I realized this weekend that I guess I just don't care enough about getting in shape. I mean, I want to be fit, and healthy. I know it's good for me to exercise every day, it helps with my mood, sleeping, etc. So, why don't I make a committment to actually exercising regularly?

It occured to me that if I really cared, I'd be doing it. So, what do I do to get myself to care?
snafooey
Risala, you're only 5'5.5"???

That's it - you're no longer my freaky Gemini twin.
crazyoldcatlady
i bought a bike, i bought a bike!
i went into a store to buy shampoo and walked out with a bike!

it's not high class or anything, but it will get me around the New State's green hills and valleys :-)

i miss biking... when i was younger, that was *the* thing to do... get together with your friends and ride your bike around the block, down the store, etc.

::snaps out of reverie::

anyhoo, maddy, i know what you mean... i think the biggest problem is that it's hard to keep at something that doesn't bring any short term results, but i suppose the sleep/mood thing counts for something.

and it's hard to integrate into your everyday schedule, because that "30 minutes" a day recommendation doesn't account for changing, (traveling to the gym?)working out, showering, possibly getting ready again. when all is said and done, i have to set aside another hour in addition to the work out time.

sometimes other "good for you" activities trump that time... like sleep...

but i digress. again.
pixiedust
Catlady,
I hope you have more success at it than me! I have pulled my bike out Twice in the last 3 months. And I am so out of shape I can only go a few blocks at a time. Bleh! I too used to ride all over the place as a child. I mean probably miles a day...and I didn't grow up in the city. I used to ride through patures and over hills excetera. I used to have rock hard thighs...unfortunately, that is why I have such a problem now. All that muscle turned to fat from disuse. I am determined that I will keep dragging the bike out though. I plan on a short rde tonight. I need to push myself and really sweat to make a difference in my weight and all the leg lifts and crunches are only toning me up, not getting rid of the fat.
brutalbunny
Voodoo:

Thanks for the advice. Although, I have to say, with all you do, I doubt you're "tubby wubby". :-)

I have to confess, I have been LAZY lately. I can't convince myself to get out of bed at 7 to jog before it gets hot. This is totally lame, but I got one of those McDonalds exercise discs. It has two 15 min work outs. I do the "light" one then the "heavy" one for a 30 min indoor work out. It's a good pick me up, though.
Thinking I might want to invest in more REAL exercise videos.

Since school's out, I can't go to the rec center anymore so, among other things, I can't weigh myself. Think this is a good thing or a bad thing?
voodoo_princess
brutalbunny - thanks for your disbelief in my tubby wubby-ness but really I am..... I know what to do and how to exercise and exactly how to eat and yes I take supplement and eat just so, most of the time, but I have weight that I carry that would require some very very hard core training to rid myself of, and I just can't get that motivated! I do my push ups and crunches and swim and all that but all i'm doing is building some AWSOME muscles under a nice, soft layer of fat!!!!! hee hee hee.... and if you noticed, I don't seem too upset over it neither! what I really really need to do is add some cardio to my daily routine and then I'd be set but for some reason I just can't bring myself to do it.... I guess I have not enough motivation right now BUT I do love cheering others on and I'm happy to pass along any info and recipes I have..... just ask if you want any recipes.... that goes for anybody.... I'll be happy to post some healthy eating tips and recipes!
divaintraining
Risala, I chuckled when I read the 5'5".5- I am 5'4.5- I thought I was 5'5" until my doctor disabused me of that at last summer's physical. I told my lil sis and she loves to tease me that she is a genuine 5'5"- really she is my height with a larger forehead. I didn't say that though, we don't need to reinvoke WWIII of sibling rivalry.

So ladies, some cool news. I had mentioned the Push exercise program I'm so enjoying to a friend who surfs the web a lot. Well she found a contest to wing a subscription to it. Thought some of you might want to sign up.
http://www.divavillage.com/

Looks like the contest is today only, so hurry to it.

dirtybunny
omg I laughed over the sister height thing and invoking WWIII! My sister and I look identical almost...she's 5'4 but tells people she's 5'7 (she adds her heels too!)and didn't get the big boob thing, I on the other hand am 5'9 and "endowed"...we fight over who did what to whose clothes!

In the world of weight lose I'm wishing I could just speed it up! A year of working at an office job coupled with eating out for lunch and no more going out 4 days a week drinking and smoking have left me feeling pretty tubby wubby!It's only 15 lbs and my bf doesn't care and I'm not really losing any sleep either. But, I would really like it if those pounds could find another body to settle on!

I'm unemployed for the month so rather than piddle away $70 on second cup and magazines I bought a membership to the gym! I go three times a week and do 40min of cardio and dance around my house with weights strapped to my wrists... I'm so happy I have curtains! So far, I've lost a good few but that was mostly due to the whole not eating out for however many meals a week. I feel less sausage and bloated but am hoping to get some tone to my arms and legs. What the hell is up with tummy fat?! Does it just settle there never to leave again? Feels like an in'law, irritating and never going away...Have to get motivated to do weights but when I'm covered in sweat from the cardio I just want a shower and to cool off!
artemis27
Dirtybunny, I'm wondering the same thing re: tummy fat. I know that fat settles wherever it wants, but I'm surprised to see how differently it settles with age. I weigh now what I did in college but somehow my waist is two inches bigger than it was back then (and I have a lot more muscle mass than I did in school, so it's not that).

I've been living expansively for the past week or so and it's interesting how much WORSE I feel now that I know what a healthy body feels like! I haven't been going nutty or anything by my standards of a year ago but now my body is just crying out for workout time, more spinach, etc. My life has been chock-full of good things lately but that does make it more difficult to stick to a fully healthy plan.
crazyoldcatlady
despite my wishingandhopingandthinkingandpraying, i will never have anything other than a plush tummy.
even with pilates--while i may be able to gradually improve in what i can do, there will always be the pouch.

i like my bike but my bum hurts from the seat now ;-)

yoga's taken a back seat to the bike, so i think when i get back into it i'm gonna be a little stiff.
ohsweetie
oh my, wherever do we find the motivation to work off those 10s of possibily 100 of pounds we've been carrying around since our youth and told to accept it, to be happy with who we are, but then to later find out that all those people who encouraged our self confidence, when you turned into your 20s, would look down upon you, not see that you're happy with who you are, but that the weight you've been carrying, the habits you've been carrying, since you were six, is not "you", and that you need to get rid of it now or you could get diabetes, fatter, uglier, single forever. and your partner doesnt care, b/c they think that you're beautiful, and you'll never believe them, and you don't exercise just to spite those that think you're not healthy, because you're comfortable with who you are. when really. you're not. where do we find the motivation to shed those pounds?
divaintraining
Yes, you've put it so eloquently ohsweetie. No matter what my S.O. says I'll never believe him when it comes to assuring me about my appearance. . .

I try to focus more on health issues than image issues, but it is tough. And I'm starting to see some of my peers wrinkle in their late 20's and thinking "Whoa, time for healthy lifestyle".

DirtyBunny, my sis has the well-endowed chest and I am decidely not! I wouldn't want her figure- back pain issues- but I've had people say to my face "Poor thing, look how pretty your sister's figure is" (That was the rabbi's wife- gigantic eye roll).

So did anyone have a chance to sign up for the Push contest- pretty cool to win that- it is a fun workout.
_octinoxate
No action on this thread lately? Have we all stopped "becoming healthy"?

I know I have. Totally against my will, too. I was feeling great about how healthy I had gotten in this past year, how regularly I worked out... and then BAM, knee pain. I finally went to the doctor and got a simple diagnosis of fibullo-patellar pain, or "runner's knee". I'm doing three months of physical therapy and minimizing my activities. It sucks!!! I love working out, and a lot of my social activity involves dancing, which I'll have to largely avoid. Plus, I just blew a bunch of money on a fitness class package.

But I guess the good news is that this is a relatively good diagnosis, and there ARE concrete exercises I can do to help the problem. And, I don't have a bad enough case to require surgery (unless PT doesn't do anything for me). So I'm grateful for those things. Still, I'll miss being active. I hope I can easily get back into the routine when my body allows it. And I hope this inactivity isn't going to a.) make me gain weight, because I had just gotten to a point where I liked my body, or b.) make me freak out about food and start dieting... and by "dieting" I mean "having an eating disorder relapse". Yipes.

Anyone else have experience with this injury or a similar experience??

Whoa, diva, "poor thing, look how pretty your sister's figure is"?!?! Who the hell says that?? Some people have no social skills/ no sense of what is and isn't appropriate. I mean, even if that didn't get to you, it's still freakin' rude. It'll be interesting to see peoples' reactions to my sis and I at my mom's wedding next month... we look very much alike, but she's a bit taller, has beautiful long hair, does artful makeup, and last time I saw her, worked out a ton to stay thin. I, on the other hand, shaved my head, don't touch makeup most days, and mostly couldn't care less. I wonder if I'll be the recipient of "poor thing" comments as well..?
crazyoldcatlady
shaved your head? that. is. bad. ass. i always wondered what was hiding under my mop but i don't even have the ovaries to get it cut boy-short.

and yes, i gave up (for now) on being fit. i had a nice yoga/pilates routine going on, moved, bought a moutain bike, thrilled to use it for a week, and now it's been raining for the past two weeks, no lie. and while i think i'll still get on the bike once the rain stops, i think i'm going to take a break from rountine working out for a while. this is usually my M.O.; when the workout starts causing me more stress than relieving me of it, then it's time to step back, grab a blanket, and spend those few hours reading a good book (on #4! )

how's everyone else?
runningwestward
Octinoxate: I am so sorry to hear about the FP pain. I hope you like squats... I had to do tons when I had knee issues. As for exercise, try water running. You may feel like a fool doing it but it's damn good for you and I think there are a lot of people who do it if you can find the right pool and time of day to go. A few of my marathoner friends swear by it. Or just do plain swimming. I'm my fittest when I'm swimming lots. It's a full body thing which helps. If you can't do the kick then get yourself and set of pull buoys (foam floaties that fit between your legs) and just do the pull part of front crawl.
_octinoxate
crazy, yes, I shaved it a couple months ago and I love it! It was something that always interested me but, as you put it, took ovaries I didn't have. Well, I grew some and I'm sure glad! It's been a liberating experience (cliche as that may be... I think cliches get circulated for a reason: they're often true!).

Crazy, I think that's a great M.O. When I catch myself making working out a high priority, such that I sacrifice other things I enjoy or that I need to do, I have to take that step back and remind myself what the point of it all is.

Running, thanks so much for your input about the FP pain. I had never heard/thought of water running. Is that running in place, or across the shallow end of the pool? I'll look into those floaties, too, because I can't swim! (Which was making it hard to think of ways to stay fit during this time.)
runningwestward
If you can't swim well, water running might be your best bet. For deep water running you can get a floation belt. Some pools have them kicking around or I think you can go to a swim store and ask about them. It's a foam belt that just keeps you upright. Aquajogger is one brand. Hop in the deeper water (you don't want to be in the shallow end as your legs need to "hang"), the belt will keep you floating. The leg motion is almost like running on your toes. Keeping your toes somewhat pointed will help you move forward. You won't be moving very fast but you will move. Since there's a lot of resistance you feel like you've run a lot further then you've actually gone. Try not to use your hands to cup the water and paddle. Keep the arms moving in a running motion, slicing the water with your hands. I have a runners guide with some instructions in it. If you can't find anything and want some guidance, let me know and I'll make a pdf of it for you. Keeping the theme all thing aquatic (and less impact on the knees), what about aqua-aerobics?
pepper
hee! i can be a total girly girl, i love makeup and shoes and cute hair but i shaved my head too. not now, right now i have daring hair of another variety, but when my son was a baby i did it. totally bald. i'd always wanted to and i was having the post-baby hair thinning thing so i figured why the heck not. it actually looked pretty good, especially when it grew in and was just an uber short 'do. my family thought i was crazy though. ha.

aquafit sounds so great. there's an awesome pool in town and the kid loves it too. don't know how much i can do exercise though, he's five and can't swim yet so i have to be right there with him at all times and he Freaks out if we go in too deep.
le sigh, i need some work out time and inspiration. i thought about one of those kid seat extension things you can get that attach onto the back of your bike to make it tandem but it is just SO hilly here, ooh, my knees! what can i do? i swear my ass is starting to fall down.
voodoo_princess
anybody familiar with PowerPramming™?
i got the program sent to me and i'm going to try it out..... i'll keep posting about how i do with it..... it looks great! this way i can incorporate my babysitting with my exercising! woohoo!
raisingirl
Octi, you badass baldie (I could NEVER do that), I'm still here, still being healthy about 90% of the time, just kind of sick of talking about it for the time being.
_octinoxate
Running, I'm totally gonna check out water running. It sounds perfect, 'cause I'm finding my knees can't even tolerate biking right now. I have a paraplegic friend who uses those floatation devices in the pool, so I can ask him where to get one.

Pepper, maybe the local pool has a kids' swim class? Your boy could learn while you hang out in the other end of the pool?

Voodoo, is PowerPramming basically pushing a stroller really fast? (And, are you from Britain? I think I remember Brits using the word "pram" for what we'd call a "Stroller".)

Raisin, good for you! Keep it up. I guess there's not too much to say about it when you're just successfully leading a healthy lifestyle. It seems talking helps most when you're hitting problems, huh.
voodoo_princess
octinoxate - yes, pram = stroller and there is alot more to the program than pushing the baby about in the pram...... it's basically exercises that can be done with baby or while holding baby that a new mom, or anyone with a little baby, can do to get back into shape.... there are squats, lunges, crunches, shoulder raises, press ups, leg extensions and leg raises which are all done with baby in hand or incorporated somehow into the movement. Baby is used as the "weight" basically for some of the moves..... and then there are intervals of powerwalk / jog / walk that's done pushing baby about in pram. So you get cardio and weight and exercises designed to work the pelvic floor..... I don't have my own small baby but I babysit so I figured I would do this with my little wards.... I tried it out today and my baby boy just loved it.... he thought it too funny (he's almost 6 month).... i could forward the program to you if you are interested.... let me know!
_octinoxate
Voodoo, that's awesome! Very clever. I'm don't have any kids of my own and I'm not really around them much either, but thanks for offering to forward it. I'll keep it in mind if I ever have my own little living, breathing exercise aids :-)
sybarite
I fell right off that thar fitness wagon. After my tae bo classes were cancelled, I started doing it at home for an hour at a time about once a week. Then last week I hurt my foot so couldn't use it, and now I'm decamped at the other end of the country, writing to meet a deadline, doing no walking and using ice cream as an incentive.

I *am* starting a new yoga class next week though, but I miss tae bo. :-(
raisingirl
Heh heh heh, and here's what the 10% looks like: handmade chocolate ice cream for lunch. Maude, it was the best thing ever because I had been wanting ice cream for a couple of weeks. Oh, I had a banana afterwards, to finish it off. Mmm mmm mmm! I love doing stuff like this once in a while; nothing is off-limits!
pixiedust
Well, I am slowly trying to get back on the fitness wagon too. I have started taking yougart and a piece of fruit to work with me everyday. I generally don't eat breakfast, but I know just about every diet recommends breakfast so I am doing the yougart for breakfast. Then I am eating the fruit at around 3 when my blood sugar starts to drop. Now if I could just find some healthier lunch alternatives. Unfortunately, I am eating lunch with mr. Pixie everyday so our choices are not usually that healthy. That will be changing when school starts again and we can't have lunch together. Then I can start bringing Lean Cuisine type of things to work.
I am also trying to cut out soda completely. I am taking a really good multivitamin and trying to drink at least 1 glass of juice a day. Now if I can just motivate my butt to get outside and sweat a bit...
karianne
Hi healthy busties! Can I join in?

I'm trying to do a larger variety of activities lately. So far so good this week. One spin class, one pilates class. Taking today off.

Raisingirl, that icecream sounds divine! yum. Icecream is a weakness of mine, esp in summer.

_octinoxate
pixie, everything you're working on sounds awesome. I feel like even just doing one of things would make a big difference in heading toward a healthy lifestyle... feel good about the ones you pull off and don't worry about the occasional times you mess up and have a coke or whatever :-)

Hi karianne! Of course you can join in. How do you like spin? I took one spin class once and just found it weird, because the instructor kept telling us things like "Now you're reaching the firs..." "We're hitting the stands of pine..." and I just kept thinking, "No, um, we're not. We're in a gym, listening to European techo." Great workout, though.
karianne
ocitnoxate, I love spinning. I've been doing it for probably 3 or 4 years now I guess.

My teachers haven't been heavy visualization users. Sometimes they will ask us to visualize something, like that we are trying to get to the front of a pack of cyclists or something. Stuff like that does help, but I don't know if I'd dig a whole class of it. I find that I definitely prefer certain teachers. They have to be challenging and not boring.
brutalbunny
Is there a "becoming piggy" thread? LOL. Last night I ate half a medium pizza and topped it off with 3 bottles of beer. SOOOOOOO good. I doubled up my workout today and I'm trying to avert my eyes from the leftovers in the fridge. It seemed easier last summer. Now it's been all cold and hailing and raining and all I've wanted to do was lay on the coach with my embroidery watching cheesy movies instead of working out.
I'll be good today, I promise.
fiercetastic777
Does anyone have any good ideas on how to wean myself off of Diet sodas? I would say I drink about 60 to 70 ounces a day (too much?). I know that this can't be good for me. And I also know that I'm either addicted to the caffiene or the aspartame. Ideas?
pixiedust
fierce...The best thing is to just start subbing in something else...sometimes I use lemonades, flavored water, juice, or if you prefer, tea.(I am not a tea drinker)

I got an e-mail today, it's kinda long, but I will post here because it just makes you think...
WATER OR COKE?

Eye Opening Information!

This is really an eye opener... Water or Coke? We all know that water is important but I've never seen it written down like this before.

WATER
1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism
is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's
metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight
hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime
fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10
glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger
fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases
the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

And now for the properties of Coke:
1. In many states (in the USA) the highway
patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of
Coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola
into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit
for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous China.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery
terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the
terminals to bubble away the corrosion

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth
soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of
Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in
aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the
drippings to mix with the Coke for sumptuous brown
gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke into a load of greasy clothes, add
detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains.

9. It will also clean road haze from your
windshield.

For Your Info:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric
acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in
about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate)
the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of Coke have been using it
to clean the engines of their trucks for
about 20 years

Now the question is...

Would you like a Coke or a glass of water?
erinjane
Sorry pixie, but I just had to. :P

http://snopes.com/cokelore/cokelore.asp

Fierce, I used to be addicted to diet coke. It's definatly the caffeine that got me. I switched to caffeine free, which isn't as good, but does the job. After about a month I stopped craving it. I still drink it but I used to drink 2-3 diet cokes a day, now I have 1-2 a week.

I avoid caffeine in anything now and I feel much better for it.
pixiedust
Wow Erin....I hadn't heard most of those urban legends...But I notice none of the ones from the e-mail were pointed out as false. I have seen coke used to clean corroded batteries and old pennies and stuff. I just can't imagine anything like taht being very healthy urban legend or not. It's an on going discussion Mr.Pixie and I have.
taligator
Anybody doing Turbo Jam? I've seen the infomercials and it looks like fun ...

snafooey
I've heard that drinking 8 - 10 glasses of water today is also something of a myth. In my case, I would pretty much never leave the washroom. :-) I'm curious about the breast cancer claims as well. I do try to have water, though, when I think I might be hungry even though I've already eaten and I don't doubt that a lot of people mistake thirst for hunger.
_octinoxate
Oh my god, taligator, I've never done Turbo Jam, but I have done Turbo Kick. It's the same workout, same developer. The difference is that Turbo Jam is the consumer version that was based on Turbo Kick in order to sell it to a general public (Turbo Kick is only available to certified fitness instructors, who can then teach it as a group fitness class.) If Jam is anything like Kick, you will have such a blast and get a great workout. DO IT!

(I'm missing Turbo Kick at the gym RIGHT NOW because of this damn knee... :-( )
fiercetastic777
Bummer about your knee, octinoxate. Good luck on the road to recovery. Thanks for the info pixiedust. I think I'll need to start slow, but diet coke just tastes so darn good! I have however, heard a few more urban legends about it but I was wondering if anyone knows how true they are. Does diet soda impede weight loss and trigger hunger? I wouldn't be suprised. I think I might try to switch to Diet Sprite, no caffeine, no sugah, delicious bubbles.
fiercetastic777
Oh, erinjane, thanks for that site. "Fanta was created by the Nazis?" Sad, and really funny.
raisingirl
So this is what I have to show for the ice cream lunch I had earlier this week:

A zit in the middle of my chin.

And weight loss, dropping down into the next 10 I haven't seen for a while. I actually haven't weighed myself at all lately, so maybe breaking through the most recent number divisible by 10 happened weeks ago. I kind of don't know. Whatever.

I still look like a fat dairy cow -- MOOOooooooOOOO! -- but I feel pretty damn good. I like having muscle and I do believe my double chin is gone for good. Raaahhhh!
girlygirlgag
I AM ON TURBO JAM RIGHT NOW!!!!!

It is sooo fun and it comes with a nutritional guide that rocks the house!

I love it!

From:Girlygirlgag, BUST resident who buys ALL infomercial exercise stuff! (I use it all though, the only thing I don't recomend is the lateral thigh trainer, because the chain snaps, I have been through two already. But, I love Windsor Pilates, and Gunner Peterson's Ball Workouts, I am a freak)
taligator
Thanks guys! I'm trying to decide if I should get it or not. I have a great exercise program (T-Tapp) that gives phenomenal results but it bores me so much and I dread doing it. I've got at least 150lbs to lose and I know I need to do something - the trick is finding something I can do that doesn't bore me or make me dread doing it. I'm currently seeing I can find it at any of the 'As Seen on TV' type stores in my area so I can do the instant gratification thing ;)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.