Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
culturehandy
Bumped.

p_176
hey....i did a cleansing diet thing for a few days and have lost a few inches off my waist. that's enough to propel me to the gym to lose the rest of what i need to lose
thanks for listening.
p_176
likeanyother
That's great p_176, what was the diet? Just the salad, juice and water thing? I feel like I need to do some cleansing, I went to Chicago for a few days for a small vaca and went a little overboard with the smokin' and boozin'. But, I did pretty well with eating, and walked a lot, so there was some balance. Yeah, I'm gonna stick with that....
freckleface7
I finally went back to the gym today after several weeks hiatus.
between the new puppy's and my back and then the mr's irratic schedule, I just haven't been up for it for awhile, but enough was enough.
my moods have gotten progessively worse sinse I stopped and I've let my eating go to pot too.
and the double chin I worked SO hard to banish is sneaking back too! mad.gif

so it was back to yoga, which is morphing into a class called Body Flow, which is yoga & tai chi & pilates. hasn't Officially started yet, but she's introducing some of the new moves early so we can get a feel for them and I liked most of what we did, minus Plank.
I freakin' HATE Plank! I can never ever hold it and always feel my butt is sticking up wrong (and let's face it, if you got one, it's going to to some small extent).

anyway, the tai chi moves were awesome. very Zen. I really enjoy the ones that require balance, bc it makes me focus internally. or maybe they weren't tai chi, maybe they were pilates? I don't know. either way, it was a good workout, even having to modify for my back, which is still messed up.

I have a pinched nerve that has wrecked havoc on my entire life and am finally tossing the white flag and am going to get the referral for phyiscal therapy bc I really miss my weight training class too.

and I ran some on the tread mill today some too. that's what I still love best but am scared to declare that I am "training" for the next 5/10 k road race in April bc am afraid I'll wuss out.
erinjane
freckle, i have something like a pinched nerve too. I'm finally, after 8 years of pain when running, am seeing a sports therapist on the 17th. Whenever I either sprint or run for long periods of time (30+ min) I get a horrible and intense pain in my right shoulder. I'm pretty sure it's connected to my TMJ but at my soccer game on Saturday it hurt worse than it's ever hurt before and stayed that way for 4 days. Ugh. Another soccer game tomorrow so I'm hoping the pain isn't too bad.

I hate how hard it is to tell if you're losing weight on your own body. I feel like i haven't made much of a dent in the last two months but people keep telling me I look like I've lost weight and how pretty I look. I'm really trying to stay totally body positive and whenever I catch myself thinking something negative I stop, look at myself in the mirror, and think about all the things I like about myself. Might sound cheesy, but I think it's really working.

My trainer is bumping us up to marathon training mode next week, which means 4 running workouts a week and adding weights in. I'll be in Europe when the rest of my group is doing the marathon, but I'm still going to train with them. Depending on what I'm doing the day they're all running (June 16) , I might try and run the same distance they are.
p_176
hello all -
when i did the cleansing thing, i drank only water for 2 days, then added in salads (no dressing) and fruit. i did this for about 4 days, but then started adding protein to one meal a day then two meals etc. my portions were still pretty smalll, and i was still drinking about 5 20oz bottles of water per day (note: my office was also 80 degrees during this time, so i had to cool off somehow). i am not sure that i actually lost weight, but i felt more in control, i was better able to make decisions instead of waffling, and i did lose some inches. on the 20th, i'm meeting a nutritionist.

on another note, i am doing more exercise lately also. i'd like to a)iterate that you all should be careful about what workouts you do (from TV or DVD) because i've noticed recently that not all fitness instruction DVDs stretch you out properly before going into the workout. i personally threw out my back last year from doing Tae Bo, because Billy Blanks stretches your legs but not your back, and all of the workouts require a strong, limber back, and cool.gif discuss what you think of the recent fitness trends vis-a-vis, stretching, scams and reliable fun workouts.

--p_176
freckleface7
I'm going running in an actual Outside Park tomorrow!
there's a woman I met at the gym who has started training and running in 5/10k's w/ her husband and I asked if I could try running w/ her best I can so far. she's great, and said absolutely (her husband is deployed ) so tomorrow we go and I am excited!
I like the treadmill ok, but I know track running is a lot different as I used to do that when we lived in Germany. my thing is just not looking totally stupid, which I know I need to get over, but starting out I do not have the courage to go alone yet.
I might go on to yoga after that, but will have to see how I feel by then. cool.gif

and on Monday I am seeing my dr for a non-back issue, but am going to get that referral for the physical therapist once and for all. this not being able to lift anything, esp w/ having 2 enormous and growing daily puppy's just isn't flying.

erin you really went 8 years in that much pain from the pinched nerve??
how was your soccer game?
I know you are a runner too and I have been so Impressed by everything you've posted here, totally inspiring!
erinjane
It's true the problem started 8 years ago...but let's just say I spent about 4-5 of those years being fairly inactive. When I started playing soccer again three years ago I was surprised the problem was still there, but it only happened once a week so I dealt with it. Now that I'm running 3-4 times a week it's getting unbearable and a lot worse. I was just yelling at my partner for not going to the doctor over a bad knee, but I should have gone to the doctor years ago about my shoulder.

Thanks for asking about the game, it was the last one of the indoor season. We're the 3rd last team, and we were playing the number 1 team so we expected to have our asses kicked but it was a really tense game. We almost beat them, but they scored to goals on us in the last few minutes and we ended 4-6. I love getting on the field. I wish I could play soccer more than once a week cause I would love it and I'd be in great shape.
freckleface7
erin that games sounds exciting! I can almost pictuer you out there, tearing the field up like mia hamm. is there not any other league or team you can join, or is the Season ending?
turns out both our new pupp's are wiley good little soccer players, but they get distracted by each other too easily & I end up doing all the running around while they just tussle and wrestle each other. but it's ok bc I'll take the exercise any way I can get it. (altho the point of playing with them is to tire Them out instead of vice versa. )

the Park run this morning:
ehhhh. my friend & I parked in different locations and then she took a path I don't like bc it's kind of isolated, so we didn't connect til about 40 minutes into it, and she had to go right after so we walked together instead of running.
and that's ok bc running on concret is Much different than the treadmill and I found I could only sprint for short distances before I'd have to stop & walk again. was a little disappointing, but that I got out of the car & walked Alone instead of going home when I couldn't find my friend was a big thing, and I still covered somewhere around 2+ miles at that.
I wish there were a nice spongy track I could run on, but don't think there are any close by.
for tomorrow it's def back to the gym.
erinjane
My team plays outdoor soccer too but I oddly I'm not a big fan of playing outdoor. I love playing on an indoor field, it's so much smaller, and faster, and you get to use the boards. It's a totally different game. But I'm cool with taking a break from it too. It was taking up every Friday night.
AliveToday
Ever find it hard to just do the right thing for yourself? I am in the process of becoming a nurse -- making it my job to take care of other people. I feel deep concern for my patients and feel very fulfilled at the end of the day, but I just can't bring myself to do a few minutes of cardio or stop smoking cigarettes. Why is it so hard to focus on not letting my body turn to shit? Advice is appreciated.
obelix2
Hi, everybody. I've recently gotten back on the getting-healthy bandwagon. I gain weight when I'm in a happy relationship, so I've probably put on at least 20 pounds in the last year. Now I've passed the BMI threshold for overweight. I know it's kind of a crock, but it was the kick in the butt that I needed.

I love numbers and spreadsheets, so I'm tracking my daily calorie intake and expenditure at caloriecount.about.com. It's a pretty fussy site, but I love being nitpicky, so it's working great for me. The most amazing thing was realizing how many calories are in the foods I eat. Before I was tracking it, I must have been taking in at least 3000 a day. Geez! The idea of a "serving size" that you get at a restaurant is insane!

I know that whatever changes I make have to be sustainable over the long term if I want this to work. But I'm going to Key West in May, and I really want to look better than I do now. I'm doing an hour of weights and cardio at the gym about three times per week, and biking to work instead of driving.

Sorry for being so long-winded. I'll probably be in more, trying to glean some inspiration and advice from you wonderful Busties.

AliveToday - I've noticed that nurses seem to take horrible care of themselves. Maybe it's the way the schedule works, but so many of them seem to smoke and eat on the run. As to why it's so hard to focus on not letting the body go to shit... my hypothesis is that becoming healthy is such a long-term goal. You don't see results for so long. But having a cig, or eating a muffin, that feels good right away.
anna k
I've been feeling better this week since I've stopped eating take-out food, saving my money and being a little more trimmer.

At the gym, my fitness teacher said I've been looking more svelte. That was really nice to hear.
erinjane
I went to hot yoga for the first time in a year today. I forgot how much i LOVE it. I feel so great while I'm doing it and then so fresh and relaxed after. Unfortunately while last year I had two jobs, this year I only have one contract job and can't afford to go too often.
p_176
how's everyone doing after easter? i went over my calories for the day, but not by much - maybe the equivalent of an extra meal (400 cal).

have been doing ok since i saw the nutritionist - apparently my diet downfall was lots of sugary drinks, so i'm making the complete switch to light and diet drinks. i definitely feel less bloated over the last week.

erinjane - does one have to be 'good' at yoga to do hot yoga? there's one near my house, but i'm too chicken to go.
erinjane
I did not do well this weekend. My mom went nuts and bought a ridiculous amount of those whoppers chocolates. I ate so many over the weekend, I don't even want to look at them now. I'm hoping to get to the gym four times this week and start to kick my running up a notch.

On Friday I actually went running outside for the first time since I was 13-14. I would run for as far as I could stand, then take a 3-5 minute walking break, and then run again. All in all, I did 3.8 miles in 50 minutes. I'm pretty happy with that for now, but I hope I can do the whole 3.8 without stopping before I go away on a two month trip on April 23rd.

The first time I went to hot yoga was the first time I went to yoga, period. I've been to two different studios and they've both been really receptive to new people entering the class. They say things like, "There's a lot of new faces here today, so just remember to take it slow, drink lots of water, and if you feel like you can't do something, don't worry. Just lie down or do what you can". Often they'll give you the option of doing the hard moves in easier ways and tell people that if you feel like you're able, then do it the harder way, but don't push yourself too hard because you'll be working mostly on form and not on strength in the first few classes.

I hate going to a new gym or yoga studio though. I feel so self conscious. But I really appreciate when the teacher says stuff like "there's a lot of beginner's here" because I know I'm not the only one. You should give the hot yoga a try. I know it's not for everyone, but I just love it. I feel so refreshed after.
erinjane
p_176, check out this helpful hints page. This is one of 2 studio's that I go to and I found the hints really helpful when I first started.
http://yogawinnipeg.com/hints.php
Tan Princess
QUOTE(freckleface7 @ Mar 13 2008, 03:42 PM) *
erin that games sounds exciting! I can almost pictuer you out there, tearing the field up like mia hamm. is there not any other league or team you can join, or is the Season ending?
turns out both our new pupp's are wiley good little soccer players, but they get distracted by each other too easily & I end up doing all the running around while they just tussle and wrestle each other. but it's ok bc I'll take the exercise any way I can get it. (altho the point of playing with them is to tire Them out instead of vice versa. )

the Park run this morning:
ehhhh. my friend & I parked in different locations and then she took a path I don't like bc it's kind of isolated, so we didn't connect til about 40 minutes into it, and she had to go right after so we walked together instead of running.
and that's ok bc running on concret is Much different than the treadmill and I found I could only sprint for short distances before I'd have to stop & walk again. was a little disappointing, but that I got out of the car & walked Alone instead of going home when I couldn't find my friend was a big thing, and I still covered somewhere around 2+ miles at that.
I wish there were a nice spongy track I could run on, but don't think there are any close by.
for tomorrow it's def back to the gym.

It could be that you are running faster when you are outside and thats why you need to keep stopping. Its easier to get into a rhythm of running quite slowly on the treadmill and everything feels different outside so don't lose heart.
AliveToday
QUOTE(kbot79 @ Apr 25 2006, 10:03 AM) *
I'll haveta try these too! I made your carrot-flax ones last week and they were delish. I used honey instead of brown sugar(less since honey is sweeter), but they weren't fluffy enough.

carrot-flax muffins? where can I find this?!?!?
thanks in advance!
AliveToday
QUOTE(AliveToday @ Mar 27 2008, 05:47 PM) *
carrot-flax muffins? where can I find this?!?!?
thanks in advance!

oh crap. i replied to a post from 2 years ago ...
sorry. im such a newb!
likeanyother
AliveToday -- dunno where you can find that specific recipe, but Dr. Weil has some good, healthy recipes on his site that may be similar. Otherwise, google that shit yo!!

Anyway, I've been straddling a few big hurdles lately in my quest to drop a few. The biggest being a major knee injury the day before I was to begin training for the 5k this June. I can now walk on it fairly pain-free but I've kind of given up hope of starting jogging any time soon. That realization sent me into a bit of a depression, which resulted in a bit of not giving a crap what I ate, which resulted in two steps back, needless to say. But, as batman's daddy says, 'we fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up again' or whatevs, so that's what I did. I'm now going to start some low-impact exercising again. Also, I did a juice fast for a few days, which REALLY helped. It was hard, but it forced me not to think about food for a few days and feel I had control over what was going in my body rather than vice versa. Also, I feel oddly mentally clearer, which is weird, since at first it made me feel really foggy and couldn't concentrate cuz I was so damn hungry.

Anyway, now that I've accomplished that I feel more in control of what I put in my body and have decided to cut out snacking all together, since that really is my downfall. Also, I've been following that "feminist dieter" column that somebody posted a while ago and it's really helping me, for whatever reason. Plus this thread, I totally wouldn't have even thought of going on a fast if it wasn't for p_176, so, thanks for the inspiration. How's it going for everyone else?
p_176
hi! you're welcome for the inspiration - thank you for saying i inspired you! i think this week i may try to go on another one for a few days; last week i had the flu, and so my eating was all off, then i drank a lot over the weekend after recovering from said flu so i want to take a few days and start over.
i can't wait to get back to the gym tomorrow!
p_176
anna k
Although I haven't lost much weight, my body feels better, with a better waist shape and I can feel my stomach muscles more. It's like I've gotten rid of some fat and replaced it with muscle. My arms feel really good and strong, very tight. I was complimented by a fellow gymgoer in my class yesterday, and my aunt kept telling me how beautiful I looked. So I've been feeling good all over.
coela

I've lost 22 lbs since Christmas,
and 5.9 inches around the hips since August.
The latter is what really blows my mind...
I keep a food journal sporadically; during the first two
months I was very anal about it, counting every calorie,
which helped me immensely. Now I know pretty much
what I can eat and what I can't, or the right proportions at least.
Everyone might not be into counting calories, but for me it really
was the only way that worked. I desperately need some structure
to my eating habits, and I think I have that now.

I still need to shed lots of weight, but now I have some hopes
that it's actually possible; I wasn't so sure of that before.

p_176
yay! congratulations to everyone! (i'm at a 5lb weight loss in 2.5 weeks :-)
freckleface7
healthy-weight Busties Kick Ass!!!!!! biggrin.gif

have been meaning to come back here for awhile but just can't get it together to do so.

my yoga class morphed into Body Flow- which is awesome!!!! it's a tai chi warm up, then goes into pilates & yoga & then ends w/ a 10 minute silent/guided meditation and I so-completely- LOVE IT.
it's not a super hard workout like yoga had been, but focus's more on body-mind, which I really think enhance one another when working connectively together. I even stuck Airplane pose the other night, something I've never been able to do before.

but my back. oy veh. back to the dr yet again bc the pain has gotten crazi crying bad again.
read my x-rays and it seems I have some sort of degenerative nerve-disk problem.
my scolioisis is only making things worse by leaving everthing that much more out of whack & the nerve more exposed. the curve isn't so bad as to need a brace or surgery (I'm only at 10% & sur/brace requires 15%) but it def is making things considerably worse.
the dr gave me 2 new drugs, an anti inflamatory to take in the morning, and then a mild muscle relaxer to take at night, bc it's so bad I'm not sleeping much from trying to find a comfortable position, so he said this ought to make things better. then tomorrow I am going to see a physical therapist for a Consult & then back to the Dr ( the 3rd I've seen for this now) to see what might be next.
and I am under strick orders to do nothing physical besides my yoga class now. not even treadmill or elliptical. sad.gif very frustrating to say the least! but even walking has begun to hurt so I'm not in a place to argue with the dr, bc he understood my frustration & said he wants to get me back to where I was too (weight training) but I have to do it His Way. yah yah.
the stinky part is, as hard as I worked to lose all that weight, I was damaging my spine every time. doesn't seem fair. I've now re-gained 10/23 lbs, which is actually a loss bc I Know I was bigger than that not long ago. up & down. I try not to look or get obsessed bc when I hurt super bad, I sit on my sofa & eat! sad.gif

anyway, yoga is 4 x's a week and hell's bell's but I'll be at 3 of them (4th is same day as 3rd) bc if it's all I've got for now, I'm going to work to kick ass the whole hour. pilates is tough but I'm starting to catch on to it.

healthy is my new goal, and the weight- meh- what's one without the other?

(((((((Busty's)))))))))
anna k
I feel like crap now. I gained a few pounds from eating frozen yogurt, and have been feeling bored and lazy sitting around all day at my job, not having enough time to get to my favorite gym classes. I work out at home and keep track of what I eat with a food diary. I just feel a little nasty, not as good as I've felt the past few weeks.
erinjane
I haven't been to the gym in over 3 weeks, but I don't really have time to feel bad about it. I'm sad about losing the stamina I had built for running, but I would have lost that anyway (because I'm going away for 2 months). These last two weeks have been; eat when I remember, grab what I can, and try and get everything finished before I leave the country.
beck
hey erin, are you taking your running shoes away with you? i always used to laugh at my bf for doing it, but last time we went away (to Canada in fact) i took mine. it was actually really nice, you know how it gets on holiday with eating too much unhealthy restaurant food and stuff, it felt good to get some exercise. there will probably be some really nice parks to run in and the weather will be perfect for outside running at this time of year. have a great trip!
freckleface7
erin- I forgot where it is you are going again?
I think beck is right though, pack your runner's just in case. I hope you have a fantastic time ! smile.gif

really good news at the physical therapist yesterday: while yes I have done a lot of permenent damage to that nerve & have some arthritis there now, there is a good chance that w/ really strengthening my lower core muscles, I can still work out w/ weights & do all I was doing before.
she manipulated the area manually (ouch) & then did a sonagram/electrode/heat sensor therapy, followed by 15 minutes of icing and by the end I was able to walk out limp-free for the first time in weeks.
then last night I took another muscle relaxer and low & behold I slept fantastically.

there are still a lot of limitations of what I can/can't do, but I am going to do a few sessions w/ a phys ther doing pilates specifically for core training and will hopefully get to a "almost as good as new" point again.

yah me! biggrin.gif
erinjane
I'm going all over Europe for two months. I really really really want to take my running shoes with me, but I think it's not going to depend on how much room I have in my bag. Unfortunately, they aren't shoes that I really like to wear for anything except running. My running shoes are also kind of...on the way out, so I'm thinking that perhaps I'll buy some while I'm away if I decide not to bring them with me.

I finally took my bike out for the first time today. It is gorgeous here. +20 degrees, sunny, nice cool breeze. I was out for a little over an hour and it felt pretty good. I was pretty tired by the end but I kept internally motivating myself.
girlygirlgag
Hey everybody! I haven't been around in awhile, but I wanted to let you all know about my new blog about losing weight.

It's called Big Booty Judy and I will be tracking my weight loss and methods employed, as well as just venting, researching and trying to get pver my body issues.

Check it out if you would like.

Hope you all are doing well!
crazyoldcatlady
i remember someone a while back talking about crying during yoga.
i've been getting emotional mid workout, not crying (yet), but just intense emotions, which has never happened before, because i usually mentally check out when i run. wtf?

just checkin'...
coela

QUOTE(crazyoldcatlady @ May 1 2008, 02:34 AM) *
i remember someone a while back talking about crying during yoga.
i've been getting emotional mid workout, not crying (yet), but just intense emotions, which has never happened before, because i usually mentally check out when i run. wtf?

just checkin'...

Yep, that was me. Since then I've been doing lighter yoga, with absolutely no breath of fire,
and I go easy on the breathing techniques overall. It works somewhat, but I can still get really
emotional. It's hard. I don't have any advise for you, since I don't really know what to do myself.
But I can definitely sympathize.

On a lighter note (har-de-har) - I've lost 28 lbs! I'm quite proud of myself.

themeiu
I had a thought about this the other day.
We store a lot of stuff in our bodies. Every emotional episode is trapped somewhere in our bodies unless we find a way to release it. Exercise accesses part of our body that we often ignore. Especially in something like yoga where you really work areas that you wouldn't normally. Running or biking or bodies still stay pretty neutral or our movements are dictated by machines. As cocl you mentioned thinking about nothing before these intense emotions which really makes sense as the allows the space stuff that needs processing to surface.
My advice: sit with the emotions, breathe into them. But try not to react to them, just allow them to be. They will arise and pass away unless you attach to them. Don't try to ignore them or push them away, they are there for a reason and can even give you insight. And don't try to think about what may have caused them, just let them be and try and keep your mind peaceful and blank.
This is the point of Vipassana meditation: to tune into the body, find the trapped emotions, and release them to balance the mind and see reality how it is without reacting.
OK, too much flakey?
crazyoldcatlady
QUOTE(themeiu @ May 12 2008, 02:12 PM) *
As cocl you mentioned thinking about nothing before these intense emotions which really makes sense as the allows the space stuff that needs processing to surface.

that would totally make sense. because i am in my head 24/7, and the only time that gets shut off is when i exercise, when what i'm thinking about is somewhere along the lines of "doi?" perhaps i missed it somewhere along the way, but i'm assuming you're a yoga instructor, the meiu?

but on a shitty sidenote, i injured my knee and am now looking at some relatively prolonged down time. is there anything i can do in the meantime, or am i destined to just do sit-ups until this thing heals? ideas?
_octinoxate
i haven't posted here forever, but MUST jump in to say:

COCL- sorry to hear about your knee injury, and baby that thing until it's 100% better! when i messed mine up i didn't rest enough and get good care in time, and it put me out of commission for waaaaaaay longer than it needed to (read: 2 years). i know it sucks to be limited in the meantime, and id recommend taking advantage of the time to up the ante on your weightlifting. as long as you stick to upper body stuff, core, outer thighs, etc., it shouldn't aggravate your knee. plus, strength training is sooo good for you for many reasons. depending on your knee injury, you may be able to swim or train on an elliptical or bike. whatdja do?

coela- major congrats to you!
p_176
anyone having issues with sleeping? my nutritionist (whom i don't think really believes i need to lose weight, even though i'm really big) was more concerned with the fact that i don't sleep well than with the fact that i'm not losing weight - after 2 months of eating healthy and exercising. but then she said there's probably something wrong with my metabolism so we should measure it. so what is it? does sleeping really mess up your weight that much??
gtull1
I am so overweight right now that it is really depressing. Know how it feels when you have so much to lose that you're just overwhelmed and don't know where to start? That's how I feel.

sad.gif
crazyoldcatlady
I am so overweight right now that it is really depressing. Know how it feels when you have so much to lose that you're just overwhelmed and don't know where to start? That's how I feel.

i think that's how every woman feels gtull. whether it's 5 or 50lbs both can seem insurmountable. i guess you just have to take it one little victory at a time. i noticed you posted in the breakfast thread. hey, that's a start!

anyone having issues with sleeping? my nutritionist (whom i don't think really believes i need to lose weight, even though i'm really big) was more concerned with the fact that i don't sleep well than with the fact that i'm not losing weight - after 2 months of eating healthy and exercising. but then she said there's probably something wrong with my metabolism so we should measure it. so what is it? does sleeping really mess up your weight that much??

have you ever been evaluated for sleep apnea? it's been implicated as both the cause of and result of extra weight. so if you find yourself tried throughout the day, or feeling like you didn't get a good night's sleep despite an 8hour span, it could be a possibilty. just throwing it out there...

COCL- sorry to hear about your knee injury, and baby that thing until it's 100% better! when i messed mine up i didn't rest enough and get good care in time, and it put me out of commission for waaaaaaay longer than it needed to (read: 2 years). i know it sucks to be limited in the meantime, and id recommend taking advantage of the time to up the ante on your weightlifting. as long as you stick to upper body stuff, core, outer thighs, etc., it shouldn't aggravate your knee. plus, strength training is sooo good for you for many reasons. depending on your knee injury, you may be able to swim or train on an elliptical or bike. whatdja do?

well i can't get into specifics about how i hurt my knee because it was stupid and a unique and i'm paranoid about posting here sometimes, so let's just say it wasn't a result of working out, and that i'm a dumbass smile.gif i need to be way more conscious of my diet now, and i feel so large right now as i just inhaled a plateful of udon noodles... something i can't afford when i'm sedentary as hell. i'm trying to be patient about healing but i want to just be able to even walk normal, you know?
FRUSTRAAAAAATION!

culturehandy
Poor sleeping habits have a huge affect on your metabolism. Numerous studies have shown the correlation between poor sleeping patterns and eating habits and metabolism.

Here's a quote, I'm trying to find the articles on the same, but I can't thus far.

It seems as if the body responds to sleep restriction by craving more fuel, a reduced energy balance, and this is communicated by the fat cells, actually. Leptin is a molecule secreted by fat cells and conveys a satiety signal. "There's enough fuel on board." And with sleep restriction, keeping the level of activity and the amount of calories constant, the body says, "I need more food." And this is inappropriate and may lead to overeating and potentially obesity in the long term.

Here's an article about the same. It goes really indepth. I did a search on google scholar to get some scholarly articles about the correlation between sleep and BMI.
crazyoldcatlady
omg. so now i'm officially freaking the fuck out, b/c this ONE week of inactivity b/c of my knee has resulted in a FIVE pound weight gain. i've been eating like shit since i haven't been able to get proper groceries, i sit on my ass when i can, i can't work out, i can't take the stairs at work, i can't do anything but eat and i am SO fucking FRUSTRATED. and at this rate, if it takes me weeks to rehab my knee, that five lbs is gonna become 10, then 15....

AHHHHHHHHHHH!

/ridiculous rant
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(rudderlesschild @ May 19 2008, 03:36 AM) *
GGG, I've been following your blog and you've inspired me. At the risk of being a total suck-up copycat... I started one, too. I think it will help, just having that measure of accountability. I need to shake the stupor.

Awesome and good for you!

I need to update for the weekend, but I am hella busy here at work.

I was also very bad Saturday and I am trying to work up the courage to tell the internet about it.
likeanyother
COC, I have felt your frustration -- for the past year, literally EVERY time I tried to start an exercise/eating healthier program I got stupidly injured (toe, then knee, then knee AGAIN), which would kick-off a cycle of lethargy, bad eating and smoking. It was depressing. But, now I'm finally back to my uninjured self and I'm ready to start over. That's the only thing to do, right? I hope you get well soon.
crazyoldcatlady
well, it's official. i tore my ACL + damaged my MCL. i can't walk very well, and i have to go to professional physical therapy. when the orthopod told me, i thought i was gonna cry, but he was hot, so i held it in.

but i am so. bummed. like, devastated. the thought of spending the summer not playing outside makes me want to cry like a big fat fucking baby. i. will. go. insane.

likeanyother, how did you cope with your knee injury? i mean, the only alternative exercise i can think of that doesn't involve the knees is pilates. i'm sorry to hear you got injured too but i am happy you're back in the game! giving me hope smile.gif

((((becoming healthy busties))))
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(crazyoldcatlady @ May 27 2008, 02:22 AM) *
well, it's official. i tore my ACL + damaged my MCL. i can't walk very well, and i have to go to professional physical therapy. when the orthopod told me, i thought i was gonna cry, but he was hot, so i held it in.

but i am so. bummed. like, devastated. the thought of spending the summer not playing outside makes me want to cry like a big fat fucking baby. i. will. go. insane.

likeanyother, how did you cope with your knee injury? i mean, the only alternative exercise i can think of that doesn't involve the knees is pilates. i'm sorry to hear you got injured too but i am happy you're back in the game! giving me hope smile.gif

((((becoming healthy busties))))

SWIMMING! You can swim! It will get you outside and help keep your leg muscles from suffering any atrophy, as well as help you recover!

(((((((((((((((((COC))))))))))))))))))
p_176
first (more important), i second the swimming suggestion. swimming rocks.

second (less important), frustration vent. i've seen a nutritionist and trained with a personal trainer. calorie intake is more regular (300-400 each meal plus a snack, about 1400 per day). i calculated my resting metabolic rate - it looks like it could be between 1350-1550, which means that my daily caloric requirements would be close to 2300-2500. therefore to lose weight, calorie intake of about 1400 calories per day would allow me to lose weight healthily.

so why am i not losing any weight?
chachaheels
You're not losing weight because the old "calories in/calories out" idea isn't true for the vast majority of human beings.

It's not just the calories you eat, it's what you're actually eating that will make the difference to achieving leanness.

If the food you're eating contains anything that has to do with hydrolyzed protein of any kind, or any kind of "sodium" compound and "glutamate" compound, or the label on it specifies that it contains "spices" (with no concrete list of actual spices), "natural" flavours (stated just like that) or "natural" aroma...you're ingesting MSG in one of it's myriad "legal name" disguises.
It's in all the "low fat", "low carb", "lite", "diet", prepackaged processed foods marketed to those trying to lose weight. It's also in all bread, crackers, muffins, any commercially prepared grain product (even pasta--read your labels carefully even there). It makes weight loss impossible, chemically: MSG will actually force your body to create fat stores out of carbohydrates more readily than it usually does, and it will create other changes in the body which will hinder your efforts.

1400 calories a day is a very small number for someone who is exercising; it's not enough for an adult woman of almost any height even without exercise. If you're not eating enough food, your metabolism will slow and you will not lose weight: it's also how we force the body into changing its hormonal balance, and hormonal imbalance caused from dieting simply means no matter how little you eat or how much you exercise, your body will retain stored fat (which stores hormones in the body--it's desperately trying to re-balance things, this is one way to do it) and your weight will remain pretty much fixed.
p_176
interesting. i do read labels, and i have not seen anything with the items you mentioned, but i will look doubly from now on, just in case. i have cut way back on alcohol intake too because that affects the way the body burns fat.
interesting too that you think 1400 is a low amount of calories. my nutritionist thinks 1400 is a high amount and my trainer said that i could drop to 1100 calories per day (of course, that's great for weight loss but not for maintenance, from what little i know....). i feel like that, even though, a few weeks ago when i weighed myself, i had lost 3lbs - that to me is only water weight. like, i'm not longer retaining as much water because of high soda intake....<sigh>
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(p_176 @ May 28 2008, 12:39 PM) *
interesting. i do read labels, and i have not seen anything with the items you mentioned, but i will look doubly from now on, just in case. i have cut way back on alcohol intake too because that affects the way the body burns fat.
interesting too that you think 1400 is a low amount of calories. my nutritionist thinks 1400 is a high amount and my trainer said that i could drop to 1100 calories per day (of course, that's great for weight loss but not for maintenance, from what little i know....). i feel like that, even though, a few weeks ago when i weighed myself, i had lost 3lbs - that to me is only water weight. like, i'm not longer retaining as much water because of high soda intake....<sigh>

1100 a day is starving yourself, if you are burning calories thru exercising. Your trainer and nutritionist should find other professions.

When you are working out and not eating enough calories, you won't lose weight, because your body has gone into a starvation mode and is holding onto fat. If you are only eating 1400- calories a day and any percentage of that is from alcohol, you won't lose any weight because your body is stockpilling the sugar from it, because it thinks it is starving. If you are working out everyday for an hour or so, you need about 1600-2000 calories.

There is your reason. I would find new counsel.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:SOTFt...;cd=3&gl=us

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:rczVA...;cd=1&gl=us

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:VW5AT...;cd=6&gl=us

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.