Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
candycane_girl
I love doughnuts but I agree that they are not proper breakfast food. Right now I've been having a bagel with light cream cheese and banana sliced on top. I always have breakfast cause I'm just like CH but I hate making breakfast. Sometimes I think I should just buy a meal replacement or something.
culturehandy
Candycane, sometimes I'll throw some blueberries into cheerios or something, and if I'm still hungry, then I'll have some protein supplement. I am very pressed for time in the morning but I still have to eat.
rubberdollz
Hello ladies!

You know I was having a huge problem at work trying to figure out what the heck I wanted to eat every day? Seriously it gets so boring to eat a sandwich or whatever else I could think of. Instead I started looking into meal supplements and not that weight watchers with a bunch of fillers junk. Unfortunately I really think we are being told how great soy is for us when there is something seriously wrong with that stuff. Right now I drink a "superfood" that has all natural ingredients. The powder is pretty bitter (kind of tastes like grass) but luckily the website offers recipes so I gave those a shot to cut down on the taste. I actually enjoy drinking it more than anything else. I find that I don't binge throughout the day because it keeps me full. Although I rarely eat breakfast. I found that I was eating breakfast even though I wasn't hungry and it never made sense to me? Why eat if you aren't hungry? So now when I start feeling hungry I grab my smoothie and pack some nuts for a snack and am good to go for the day. I workout a few times a week at the gym with a friend and am starting to have great results.

I was so discourage just a few weeks ago because I was not noticing any weight loss even though I'm a pretty healthy eater. I found out from a few simple things I do each morning that I had a low thyroid. I take an iodine supplement each morning and feel great. I've even found my eating habits to have changed a bit since getting my thyroid under control.

I've read a few things on soy and needed to find a new supplement. I'm now big into hemp products. They are packed with proteins and omega's and have this good nutty flavor to them. I mix hemp milk for my smoothies and am looking into a good hemp powder when my other powder runs out. I always try to find new stuff to mix it up for myself so I don't get bored. Hemp bread is also totally amazing too!

I'm open ears (or eyes) to any of this stuff! If you know of any yummy products I'd love to check them out. Since slowly turning my diet towards more organic foods it's definitely opened me up to the things I know I shouldn't eat. Although lord help me that I can't turn down chocolate!!! I'm not a total organic eater but my dinners I cook are simple and easy. I noticed one of the girls was talking about making dinner and I think it's totally understandable to not have the motivation. Who wants to come home from work and cook for a freaking hour or something???? I actually found that I can go onto the foodnetwork.com.... skim through recipes I would like to try and give it a whirl. What's nice is they tell you how long they take to cook and I've also found that using the broiler on my oven cuts cooking times on meat!!!! Instead of a recipe that takes 1/2 hour to cook, I pop that badboy into the broiler and voila, 16 minutes later I'm eating!!! You don't have to cook some gigantic meal, I cook a meat and a vegetable and that's it... no breads or carbs since a lot of that stuff contans yeast in it which is a form of msg.

Ugh.... I'm sorry ladies if this has rambled on.
culturehandy
By skipping breakfast, you are not giving your metabolism the kick it needs in the morning after a night of doing nothing. Skipping breakfast can lead to obesity, when you don't eat, your body goes into starvation mode and hangs on to anything you eat.
rubberdollz
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Jul 20 2008, 05:31 PM) *
By skipping breakfast, you are not giving your metabolism the kick it needs in the morning after a night of doing nothing. Skipping breakfast can lead to obesity, when you don't eat, your body goes into starvation mode and hangs on to anything you eat.

Actually I was gaining weight when I was eating breakfast, not losing weight. I don't find the whole skipping breakfast and gaining weight to be true. I eat when I start to get hungry and don't find my body to be hanging on to anything.
coela

QUOTE(rubberdollz @ Jul 20 2008, 09:35 PM) *
I don't find the whole skipping breakfast and gaining weight to be true. I eat when I start to get hungry and don't find my body to be hanging on to anything.

I think people's metabolism and bodies can vary a lot in how they work. Some people just don't seem to be bothered
by skipping breakfast or eating irregularly. Some gain weight just by looking at a slice of bread and some can
scoff away 3 pastries easily and not gain any. My mum drives me crazy because she's always bitching about how
much I eat - because I eats loads of vegetables and I like to eat both a cooked lunch and a cooked dinner, whereas
she eats yoghurt & granola - but I'd faint or throw a fit if I ate like she does. I eat about 1700 calories a day and lose
1-1,5 lbs a week. She eats about 1200 a day, but she's 60 and not terribly active. When I'm forced to eat what she's having,
I lose 3 pounds the first week and gain 5 the next. I've tried to explain this to her, but it just doesn't seem to sink in:
I need more food to lose weight (and not throw a fit). On the other hand, her diet works for her, and she'd probably gain
if she ate like I do.

anna k
I felt really dizzy last Saturday. I walked about 20-30 minutes to the movie theater, and it was very warm (I don't have a car and the bus didn't come), and I hadn't eaten anything yet. By the time I got to purchase a ticket I had a sick feeling in my stomach and my head felt woozy. Anytime I stood up I got the same feeling. I've gotten faint/dizzy before, from various things (heat, photo lab fumes, getting off planes). I had water with me, but got Coke and popcorn to give me sugar and fill up my brain and my stomach, and I felt better after a few minutes. I just hadn't gotten like that in a long time, and hated it. It also doesn't help that I have pale skin, and can feel faint more easily in the heat, especially if I hadn't eaten/drank anything yet.

On a better note, I'm happy and surprised by how much thinner I feel. I'm a size 10, but my legs are more thinner and narrow, I love touching my arm muscles, and having more ab muscles. I get compliments from my sister and at the gym, and I like having a voluptous and fit figure.
kittenb
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Jul 19 2008, 01:28 PM) *

I find it horrifying that people don't eat breakfast, if I don't eat regularly I get ill, blood sugar drops, and if I leave it too long (which happens when one is busy sometimes) I won't recover until the next day.

I am with you on this. I need breakfast like most people need oxygen.

My favorite healthy breakfast is a fruit/soy milk smoothie w/a slice of whole grain toast with peanut butter.

*sigh* I am dreaming about this at the moment b/c my boyfriend and I decided to do South Beach. I had great success with it about a year and a half ago but about 10 pounds have crept back on. Phase 1 allows no bread/no fruit. Looking forward to bext Tuesday when I can have the whole grains again. However, it was really good for me to do Phase 1 again. Even though I learned to be good about whole grains, too much sugar had crept back into my diet.
p_176
my nutritionist finally tested my resting metabolic rate, and it turns out that at 1400 calories per day, my body was starving since it needed 2000 calories per day. so after a week of eating 2000 calories per day, i'm gaining weight instead of losing. nutritionist wants me to lose 30lbs by halloween. what can i do to move the damn scale?? <angry face>
chachaheels
Well, at 1400 calories a day and starvation, your metabolism has now been altered.

First thing: stop focusing on the calorie number as the point for your anger. You'd be gaining weight at 1400 calories a day, too. That's what happens when you're starving--the metabolism slows down in an effort to save your life. You'll gain weight no matter how little you eat because you're eating too little for the body to react otherwise.

To increase your metabolic rate, ask your nutritionist to work out a caloric intake which will allow you to exercise vigorously daily. 2000 calories a day may still not be enough to allow you to do this. Doing exercise alone isn't the answer here because if you burn off too much of your food intake your body will still respond as though you're starving and it will create fat stores to keep you alive. I'd also recommend you seek out a diet with a macronutrient ratio of at least 35 % fat content. Fats are the first nutrients the body utilizes in our diet--proteins are next, and carbohydrates are last. Sugar is much more readily converted into stored fat than any other nutrient. Try to restrict sugar intake (and that includes carbohydrate-rich foods too) to the kind you get from raw leafy vegetables, dark green leafed vegetables that you can steam or wilt or saute, and low sugar fruits such as berries, tomatoes, avocado. If you really want to keep your weight stable and avoid weight gain, stay away from sugar and flour rich foods of all kinds, and eat really good quality protein foods and fats.

Then, see someone who is knowledgeable about the kind of exercise you can do to increase the speed of your metabolism. Not all exercise is equal or suitable for you and your lifestyle. One very effective form of exercise for metabolism regulation is Yoga, believe it or not. But it's not something just anyone can do, some people don't like it, and also not all forms of yoga are exactly the same either. Choose something that will be effective that you'll love doing--don't bother with exercise routines that aren't engaging or feel as though you have to do something you hate doing.

Other very important things:

Eating regularly. Some people do well eating smaller meals more frequently; some people do well by eating larger meals fewer times a day. If you're the latter, eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner and regular times, and try to keep that regular schedule for eating as consistent as possible. Don't skip meals, don't delay meals, don't vary this part of the routine. If you're the former, make sure you set up a kind of consistency as well; carry foods with you so you're never allowed to "feel hungry" and tempted to snack on whatever's around instead of what you need to eat.

Drink a lot of water, it's essential for metabolism regulation and it does help you to eliminate fat. Especially when eating a carbohydrate restricted plan, you'll want to drink water to flush out ketones, a by-product of stored fat breakdown. This is like stored fat you don't have to work off to eliminate--drinking water is the best way to get them out of your body. An eight ounce glass before and after a meal is good--and drink water whenever you're thirsty. Don't drink too much or you'll actually hinder your body from absorbing nutrients, and that will defeat the purpose.

Supplement your diet with nutrient supplements. Potassium supplements to help the kidneys work effectively; vitamin C to help with the regulation of blood sugars/insulin; acidophilus to help with nutrient absorption and proper digestion; a very good multivitamin, preferably one made in a fermented base that makes the nutrients highly bio-available.

Get enough rest. Try to eliminate stimulants from your diet as much as possible, or keep them to a minimum. Rest times are when the body uses up quite a lot of energy to regenerate itself, heal itself, restore itself. Skip out on sleep and the metabolism will slow down to compensate for this too, all while making you feel as though you must eat more just to keep going.
p_176
i'm doing all those things....not sure if i need to increase my metabolism; supposedly it's pretty high right now...and yet i'm still fat...but not fat enough to qualify for like, the lapband. honestly this week i have not done any kind of exercise....what is the point....not motivated....
chachaheels
Well, high as you think it may be, it's not high enough for your body to believe it is no longer starving. If 2000 cals a day are what your nutritionist tells you to be your "resting" metabolism, then that is what you have to eat to maintain your weight. To lose weight, you'll actually have to eat more to compensate for the extra energy you will use in exercising. Otherwise, your body will still be convinced it is starving, and you will not lose weight.

For what it's worth, my opinion on the Lap Band is that it's exactly what you should not do--it's just a surgical, physical restriction on the amount of food you can eat. Your body is already storing fat now because it believes its starving; if you cut your food intake down because of a lap band, you'll have spent a lot of money for a surgery that will cause you a lot of pain, force you to now feel like you're starving, and you'll still gain weight.

I understand how hard it is to be motivated. Maybe you need to allow yourself a short while to just stop focusing on the weight loss. Take a few weeks off and then start again with renewed effort and a new strategy, with enough food to support a workout schedule and all your needs, even enough food to allow you to lose weight.
_octinoxate
hey, p176. (and, hello chacha and the rest of you healthy busties! [passes nice tall glasses of iced tea to all in attendance]). i'm sorry to hear you're getting so damn frustrated! unfortunately i don't have too much good concrete advice like chacha, but i can sure relate, and say that: i find that for me, it can help to remind myself of why the hell i'm busting my ass to do something in the first place. so i'm wondering:

do you WANT to lose weight? how come?
do you NEED to?
CAN you?

it seems like the last one is the one you're struggling with, right? have you ever broken through a plateau/setback like this before with your weight loss-- or even with some other healthy-living-issue?

xo
Octi

erinjane
I went to diabetes camp last week as a camp counselor and ended up losing 5 pounds. I have worked there before but non since 2005 and even though I remember getting really stressed out when I did it at 16-17-18 years old, I did not remember being so on the go 24-7 before. I had a great time and decided to try and use it was a kickstart for eating healthy and being active. My insulin rates were soooooo low at camp, something that's practically impossible to maintain in everday life, but I rode my bike to work a couple of times this week and I'm hoping to do it more next week (i work out of two offices as we're moving right now, so sometimes I need to drive across the city).

Anyways, I'm still feeling good, but eating too much junk food again. At camp I stayed away from it totally. On a break someone even offered me a mini-chocolate bar but I didn't eat it until after I went home. I have a serious snacking issue that I can't seem to kick. It's just a discipline thing but I've really got to keep myself in check better. I feel gross after I binge on garbage anyways.
candycane_girl
Hello healthy busties! I'm trying slowly to cut down/cut out certain foods. First off I'm cutting chocolate out of my diet. I'm so dependent on it that I feel like a drug addict. Seriously, chocolate is my heroin. Yesterday was my first day without and I thought I was going to go crazy. I've allowed myself some chocolate milk but no solid chocolate. Today has been a bit better. I think I'm going through sugar withdrawal! Does anyone have any tips on how to cope with this? It's so frustrating trying to get healthy.

octi, in answer to your questions I want to lose weight for two reasons: my health and my looks. I want to be able to fit in smaller sizes and to not be embarrassed to go shopping with friends because I can't shop in the normal stores. I think that I need to lose weight because I am well over 100 pounds overweight and that's just not healthy at all. Diabetes, high cholesterol, heart disease and cancer run in my family and I don't want to make myself more susceptible to those things. I think I can lose the weight. I've started to keep a food diary because it's quite interesting to really look at what I've consumed over the day and it makes me more aware of what I'm eating.
chachaheels
You are going through sugar withdrawal. People don't realize it, but sugar--especially the white sugar--is a drug. Hundreds of years ago, it was used as a medicine, in extremely limited quantities, and used only rarely. Now it's abused significantly. Still has the same very real physical effects on the body as a super stimulant that easily affects the whole body and all its organs--except now we use it in massive quantities.

So, yes, if you're coming off sugar you have to arm yourself with the knowledge that you're kicking a big, life-long habit.

Watch your intake of sugar substitutes (or, plan a limited intake of these in order to smoothe your transition). Alcohol, tobacco products, fruit intake, refined flour content foods. One relatively supportable way of cutting out sugar is to indulge in a glass of wine as a substitute. Don't just have any old wine, though: treat yourself to a good quality wine (they don't have to be expensive) and it will help make the deprivation manageable. It's low key as far as alcohol goes, low key as far as even sugar goes, and there's enough variety in there to suit almost anyone.

Another big factor that many people say helps: salty, sour foods, like lactofermented pickles. No calories at all, so you can use whenever you crave sugar; you get the added benefit of the lactofermentation, which really helps you digest your food and boosts its nutrient content all the way around.

Sugar substitutes to consider (missing that sweet taste is a big part of feeling like you're kicking sugar) include raw honey with wildflower or nut tree sources (that is, the bees took nectar from wild trees or plants); stevia; agave; limited use of maple syrup/sugar. These sugars don't have the same effect on the thyroid gland, they offer more than just sweetness to their taste, and their stimulant effect is relatively low in comparison to sugar; a little goes a long way. Stevia is so sweet you'll have to conserve your use of it, but it has absolutely no calories whatsoever, has no effect on the blood sugar levels, it's completely safe to use as a sweetener (you just have to use it to taste but go slowly as it's easy to overdo it, then your food will be unpalatable). Some people find it helps to feel like some things in your diet have a sweet taste, to eliminate that feeling of being deprived.

Erinjane, I'm convinced that all "craving" behaviour (like the snacking thing you're describing) has some sort of underlying physiological underpinning that makes you do it. I don't believe it's a discipline thing--discipline is not that hard to maintain. If you stay away from junk when you're at a Diabetes camp as a counsellor, but you eat without thought when you're back in your regular routine, then you have to ask yourself what it is that was available for you at the camp which you don't get, or don't have any access to, in the "regular" part of your life.
Most people get sick because they just stop making sure their needs are met. When you're away, you have no problem; when you're not, the problem returns. Isolate what's missing from the "regular" picture, and implement it, whatever it is, in your daily life again no matter what it takes. The discipline problem will disappear. Sounds easy but figuring out how you'll get what you needed and received easily when you were away--whatever it is, fresh air, extra time to sleep, respect, fulfillment from what you were doing, enough sunlight, daily swims, doesn't matter what it is and it could be anything--is often the hard part.

The reason I would like to drop a few pounds: I'm convinced only the brutally cruel and intellectually deficient are allowed to design clothing for women my size, and if I ever run into one of the bastards, I intend to demonstrate what I believe a spaghetti strap on a "winter" top made for a size 18 woman with a 40DD bra size should really be used for.
erinjane
Thanks for the as per usual great advice chacha!

I know I have a discipline problem. I think it's all part of the "I'm a university graduate with a real job, but no real responsibilities yet so I can do what I want." I've had hardly any structure for the last 3-4 months and that's completely different from my life from the last 20 years. The stupid thing is I KNOW what I have to change, it's like I'm just too lazy. The last two weeks have actually been pretty good. I'm feeling under the weather this weekend, but I'm hoping by tomorrow to hop on the bike and do a 30-40k ride and I'm actually making my mom toss some of the junk food or give it away because if it's in the house I'm awful.

This week was better though. I'm starting to stop and think before I eat things. My meals are always fine and balanced, my big problem comes with snacking after 7PM. I'm trying to keep myself occupied in the evenings though by doing a little bit of work at home or going for a bike ride, or calling up a friend.

Starting me new job has been weird too. I don't have set hours and I'm working out of 2-3 locations right now as we renovate our new space. I think in a couple of more weeks once I have a better work routine down I'll have a better handle of my self discipline.
olivarria
I apologize for the long post, I have a lot of questions! Feel free to skip over.

Chachaheels I am needing your expertise (and anyone else who knows these answers)! This month I found out that I have a very underactive thyroid and probably PCOS. (I have the ultrasound in 3 weeks, my dr. told me I most likely have it because I have so many symptoms, and from my blood hormone levels). Chacha, I looked thru your many posts in the “Our Body, Our Hells” threads (took a long time!) and wrote down advice that you’ve stressed, like take cod liver oil, B-vitamins, linoleic acid, coconut oil, good fats and unpasteurized dairy. I'm going to get groceries and supplements this week. I’m trying to take a really active role in my health (it is mine!) because I’m concerned. My endocrinologist more than tripled my thyroid medicine because my levels were so out of whack, and I’m feeling really miserable overall. My thyroid is a bit enlarged and they want an ultra-sound on it. I don’t want my PCOS to turn into anything worse, like diabetes (because of possible insulin resistance) or endometrial cancer.

A main concern I have is I want to lose weight. I have been doing Weight-Watchers for months but only lost 5 pounds, no matter how little I eat, and I want to change my diet. I feel confused because for hypothyroid disorder, people say to eat a high-fiber diet, but for PCOS they say to eat a low-GI type diet. I have to say, I crave protein a lot – yogurt, meat, nuts, eggs, cheese, especially fish, so that tells me something about what I need. That said, I’m looking forward to eating fat - I’m used to avoiding it! I want to eat avocados and heavy cream and aged cheese and walnuts and eggs! Also I should mention that I’m on doxycycline for acne – I know this is not good for me and I’m trying to get off of it.
So here are some questions I have, if you feel like answering them (or even a couple).

If I am technically lactose intolerant, but don’t have a really strong reaction, do you think it's still okay to have yogurt and milk?
Should I take cod liver oil or fish oil capsules? Which one do you think is more beneficial for my health?

I've put patients on "diets" where they ate upwards of 2400 calories a day, ate plenty of meat--including red meat, rich shellfish, pork, you name it (my one stipulation: free range, all organic, not fake organic either)--and specific fats. Including saturated fats.

Results: weight loss that's faster than you'd think, with NO starvation--and in fact plenty of food in the diet
-full resolution of any issues having to do with hormonal imbalances, anything from diabetes to thyroid problems (both hyper and hypo) to PCOS.
calorie methods does not occur using real food nutritional plans. Once it's gone, it stays gone, unless you revert to eating foods injudiciously.

When you put people on certain diets, do you restrict their calories? I want to take your advice about the food, but I’m worried about eating all that fat. I read that the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. Should I still count calories/weight watcher points to lose weight, or I am supposed to eat this stuff freely?

I tend to do better on a diet if it’s structured, as in ‘have this much protein a day, this many calories,’ rather than just general statements like “try to keep your carbs down.” So I’m looking at doing the low-GI or Insulin Resistance diet or Protein Power, because it helps me to follow a program, and I read they help normalize hormone levels. (My pre-emptive defense against arguments that diets are harmful – I just need structure). Given that information, do you have an opinion about which of these diets is most beneficial for weight loss (a primary concern because I’m vain)? Do you think that food-combining (carb-protein) really has any effect in preventing insulin resistance/high-blood sugar?

And one more question: is it really true that coconut oil aids in weight loss? I've been reading so much conflicting information online, I'm not sure what to believe about it? Does it actually aid in regulating thyroid function - is there conclusive evidence?

P.S. For any other BUSTees with PCOS, I found this great website.
http://www.soulcysters.net

Sorry for all the questions, but I would trust your opinion more than all the random, overwhelming information out there on the internet! It's very confusing. I don't even trust my endocrinologist fully, he said I don't have to cut down on simple carbs at all! And I disagree.
p_176
hi all -
feeling better, over the weekend, i walked 3 miles and ate healthy so i think i'm more energized to start over. i am NOT going to go with a personal trainer (i met with one who might be great, except she wanted $900 for 10 sessions, no way!). i have until september to cancel my appt with the nutritionist - which most likely i am going to cancel but am keeping open just in case.
chacha - i did not clarify before, sorry! - the 2000 calories per day to lose weight actually does integrate my activity level. the scales seem to be levelling out, so i'm hoping that my body is quickly realizing that i won't be starving it again.
i think now, after NOT concentrating on it over the weekend, i was (am) frustrated because if i had insisted my metabolism be checked earlier in the process, i might not be in this situation. i am frustrated that my nutritionist was wrong in her meal plan for me, and she won't even admit it - i asked her point blank if any weight gain would be an effect of increasing my caloric intake OVERNIGHT, and she was like, no, i see [on the list of everything i ate for 10 days] that you've had 2 glasses of wine on three evenings, and ONE MEAL had more calories than normal, and i had one cookie in 10 days, and that's what made you gain the weight.
can i call bullshit?
response to questions : i want to lose weight because i am 60lbs overweight. unfortunately, i carry the weight well, so no one really thinks i need to lose weight.
i need to lose weight because i am not at a healthy weight for my height. a healthy weight range ('cause i'm short) is 100-115lbs.
i believe on a level that i can lose weight, as i have lost a few pounds here and there. i realize and recognize that i have not lost more because my body thought it was starving. now that i'm eating 2000 calories per day, i sense that my body is very happy. i am sleeping better than i was, i feel stronger, and i have already noticed some small changes. i have never broken a weight plateau, but i did get through precancerous HPV related sh*t (this was several years ago now, and the main cause of the weight gain - i could not exercise for 2 years).
i really appreciate everyone's support! everyone's feedback is really helpful and has definitely kept me on track, even when i'm cranky.
chachaheels
I'm glad things are better, p_176. I think if you're not feeling like you can really work with your nutritionist, then you have a decision to make about her. In any case, you're feeling better now and you're enjoying some of the pay-off benefits of your efforts. The weight will come off and stabilize at your body's own pace, over time. You'll reach your goal and it won't be so painful to get there if you don't let anyone put unrealistic and unfair expectations on you while you do it.

Olivarria, I have found that the best approach for PCOS has been the low carbohydrate, high protein and high fat type of diet. The thyroid problems are part of what is going on and could have resulted from the cysts--or vice versa. We don't need to isolate what came first, chicken or egg, but one will get better as the other does. The acne you're experiencing is also an example of the same cyst forming tendency your body has. It will also get better once we can correct what's taking place. A dietary change designed to rectify this can help restore the correct hormonal balance so that many of these symptoms will abate--however, I always use homeopathic medicines with my patients, even when I put them on diets because the medicines can do something the diets can't--and that is address that underlying illness which sets all these symptoms in motion. I wholeheartedly encourage you to seek out a classical homeopath who can help you with a good homeopathic remedy and case management. It's worth it! I can send you a whole list of referral and information resources if you'd like to consider it.

That being said: the never questioned, accepted and well-promoted idea that you can only lose weight by taking in less calories than you burn off is simply just widely promoted misinformation. It's a big falsehood; it may apply in very few cases, but overall, and especially where women are concerned, it's just not true. There is a reason why Weight Watchers must post "Results Not Typical" on all their ads when they show skinny people beside their fat "before" pictures (their success rates are so low it's beyond mystifying that they're still in business--they have less than 1 out of 50,000 subscribers actually losing weight and keeping it off), and you yourself have experienced months of dieting on that calories in/calories out rule and seen the typical results--no weight loss (most women gain and lose 5 pounds with their periods). Calorie restricted diets will only make things worse, especially for women who suffer from illnesses which involve hormonal imbalances. That Weight Watchers and other companies just like them choose to address women like this with the cynical "calories in/calories out" bullshit instead of telling such women upfront that they will not lose any weight on their plan because an underlying medical condition creating the weight gain is really at work just infuriates me. It's the worst kind of abuse because when what they're selling fails, they simply turn the blame back on you! Horrific.

As for the scientific support for eating fat and eating higher calorie foods in order to restore your health and lose weight--there is a great deal of it, all privately funded (that is, not paid for by Big Food or Big Pharma) and a great deal of it is done by the world's foremost expert on nutritional fats and the role of lipids in the function and health of the human body, Mary Enig. She's done this kind of research for 40-plus years, none of it funded by anything except donations from millions of private individuals. You can see much of her work and the studies she also cites and publishes on the Weston A Price foundation's website www.westonaprice.org and also by googling her name. One of the best diets for you to consider would be her own published "diet" book called Eat Fat, Lose Fat. When I use the high fat/high calorie diet plans for specific patients (usually the ones with severe hormonal imbalances, like the kind you get from PCOS and Endometriosis), this is the template I use. Also, a great deal of her information about lactofermented foods, soaking grains, nuts, and legumes in order to remove the phytic acids, and using special foods in order to address specific health concerns is dead on. People feel so much better using these suggestions, and that, for me, is the real proof. Can I alleviate some of the worst complaints? Can I help the patient see some immediate changes just by having her implement these ideas? If the answer is yes and the suggestions work, then I'll use them whenever I can because I've had success with them myself.

The issue of lactose intolerance: yes, you can eat full fat yogurt with live cultures, and full fat raw milk cheeses. You should have no problem digesting these foods as the biggest issue with lactose intolerance has to do with both the presence of the necessary enzymes in the food (to enable digestion) as well as the fat content of the dairy food. We kill off the enzymes with pasteurization and destroy the fats with homogenization--so it's no wonder so many people have trouble eating these foods. Without the enzymes, the milk proteins and sugars can't be readily absorbed; without the fats in the milk, there is no benefit from the food as the fats enable nutrient assimilation. Raw milk, if you can get it, should also not cause you any problems, but the richness of the live culture yogurts and cheeses is usually much more easily digested, and much more easily found. I can get more specific about the supplements for you, if you like, but if you have a chance to look at Mary Enig's book, her suggestions for using Coconut oil and cod liver oil are very precise and very effective. Most of the other nutrients she encourages come from eating the really good foods she includes in the diet plan. And yes, you start on about 2500 calories per day, and it does work, and it is incredibly healthy.

Erinjane, I hope things settle down soon, and I hope the post 7pm activities become something you are going to be passionate about. Nothing kills mindless behaviour like snacking better than an all-engrossing pastime.
rubberdollz
Hey Chacha,

I was just reading your post and I noticed you mentioned raw milk. I am curious if you know of any places to find raw milk at? A book I'm reading on charting fertility signals mentions raw milk/butter.

Also can you give me your take on meat? I have a friend who has decided to become vegetarian and I'm worried that her multi-vitamin is just not enough to supplement the protein she will be missing. The books I've bought on Fertility Awareness (Katie Singer) say that women should be eating meat (healthy meats of course).

I see your posts and would really like to hear your thoughts on this. I've been thinking about cutting down on the meats I purchase, even though I do buy organic but I don't think cutting meats entirely out of my life is healthy. I know vegans and meat eaters are on 2 very different ends of the spectrum and I'm not sure which one is trustworthy????
olivarria
Chacha, thank you so much - that is indeed very helpful! Eating a high-calorie, high-fat diet is counter-intuitive for me, but I'm looking forward to feeling better (and looking better, I hope). If you'd like to send me the referrals and information about homeopaths, I'm all for it. The only thing is, I doubt that my insurance covers, and I make like $650 a month, and I don't know if I'd be able to afford it. But I do want to look into it and at least try.

I have been hypothyroid since I was 15 (I forgot to mention that), but this is the first time that I have ever had my medicine increased. I've told my previous doctors that I didn't feel right (tired, depressed, etc.), but they never changed my medication because they said my hormone levels were normal. I've also been under treatment for severe clinical depression since I was 15, which is no coincidence I think (also mental illness runs in my family). But now my thyroid's really underactive, so this new dr. increased my Synthroid three-fold. He said it would take 6-8 weeks to feel better! Blech. Hopefully the supplements will help things along.

You'll be glad to know that I have never given a dime to Weight Watchers. I just have a "points counter" and their booklets - my Mom used to go to meetings. She has some of the same health issues as me (low thyroid, wants to lose weight) and I'm going to share this information with her. She used to have fibroid tumors but had a hysterectomy, I don't know if this is related to PCOS or not. Weight Watchers has given me success in the past, but thanks to my thyroid/PCOS I've gained weight and want to lose it, and Weight Watchers isn't working for me anymore. I can't wait to get the book you suggested. If I can't get it at the library, I'l buy it. I'm looking forward to eating real food and feeling better. I eat about 1300 calories a day, and I feel deprived! It seems like this new appraoch will be using food as medicine, not something to avoid, which seems much healthier to me. I'm wanting to lose 1-2 pounds a week, I'm not sure if this is realistic in my situation or not.

Again, thank you so much for the info, and I will post on here as I make progress. I have my ultrasound this month - I'm going to ask if I can have a picture of my uterus!
chachaheels
Olivarria, I'm glad you found the post helpful. Are you in north America? PM me and let me know where you are. I will get you referrals close by, and send a few online referral lists to help you locate someone good. It may be pricey, yes! But you know, when you tell me about your mother and her similar illness and her fibroids, it's clear to me what you've got has been generations in the making. Synthroid will prop up the thyroid but it will not fix your problem, because it does nothing to address everything else that is taking place in your case, which does come from what you've inherited from your family. So to become totally well, all those things have to be treated as a whole. I know homeopathy will be very helpful for you in this way, and it's very likely you won't need to be on lifelong hormones or prescriptions either.

Rubberdolz, there is a raw milk locating list available at www.westonaprice.org--they're real advocates for making this food available everywhere. The list is quite comprehensive for North America so if you're here look up your location and see if you can't make connections to someone who can make you part of a cow share or farm share agreement. Raw milk cheeses can be more easily found, especially if you live in an area with very good cheese merchants who import from around the world.

Eating Meat! I was a vegetarian for 13 years and my health suffered dramatically. So now I eat meat again. Some of us will do very well with very little animal protein, some will not do well at all. I'm in the not do well at all category. Multi-vitamins are exactly what they say: they supply micronutrients, like vitamins and minerals; but they do not supply macronutrients, like protein. I think the ideal ratio of fat to protein to carbohydrate is in the range from 40: 40: 20 for me. It will not be the same for others.

I do know, however, that if you opt out of eating animal protein foods, protein will be limited and the quality of the protein will also be slightly insufficient in that you will not be getting all 20 amino acids that are vital to health in your diet. So, yes, you will have to supplement (which is never a really good substitute for real food) and you will be forced into using some substandard and insufficient protein foods such as soy, in forms in which it was never meant to be eaten. People who opt out of eating dairy and eggs and animal foods often choose to eat soy "substitutes", a practice which has been promoted as "healthy" but is really problematic and deadly. We've been sold a whole bill of goods about soy, when really it is almost all genetically modified food which has a direct and catastrophic effect on our hormone levels. The Asian diet we think we're mimicking in our use of soy, a diet which is actually quite high in very high quality proteins and fats, never utilized this food without fermenting it first; also, it was never eaten without fish or meat. Now we're eating soy everywhere in our foods--as pseudo meat foods, as the base for msg, as additives for everything processed on the market, from orange juice to ice cream to crackers to frozen foods, you name it. The health repercussions are staggering. From my point of view as a practitioner, we're dealing with yet another harmful myth that people believe to be "healthy".

I understand that people choose to become vegetarians because of ethical reasons (that was my impetus, I couldn't stand knowing what was done to animals raised for food, nor could I stand what agri-business does to our food) but honestly, opting to buy meat from local farmers who aren't raising animals in inhumane pens and batteries and aren't feeding them corporate foods infused with anti-biotics and other drugs will make a far greater impact on farming practices and on food quality than opting out of eating meat all together. You can source local farmers who choose to farm organically and on a smaller, healthier scale; you can choose to get to know your farmers and butchers and all the people who produce your food for you, and opt to give them your money instead of some huge, powerful food multinational, who's been fucking around with our meats in large scale production but also planting GM soy all over the place to sell to the vegetarians who think they no longer support these monolithic corporations when they stop eating meat in protest. It's incredibly cynical, but those same companies we'd all like to see stop messing with foods and food laws all over the world have capitalized on our ethical protests in a way which makes them even more powerful and wealthy, and mocks us all as consumers. In the end, they get rich, countries lose the right to grow their own crops for their own benefit as they see fit, and individuals like you and me end up with a huge number of chronic health problems (and, yes, those same companies also own huge chunks of the pharmaceutical companies making the medicine to treat the diseases that result from soy foods--consider the entire Fertility aspect of medical care, cause it's a money maker, with couples spending tens of thousands on "treatment". Don't doubt for a minute the effect of soy on human fertility. It's big). So that's pretty cynical, no?

If your friend is really determined to become a vegetarian she should know there is much, much more involved in the transition than just cutting meat and animal proteins out of the diet. That being said, there are some great supplements and food tricks out there which will make things healthier for her if she opts for veggies and some forms of animal proteins (like dairy and eggs).

Vegans--I don't know how they do it because the diet is extremely deficient and I find it lacking in some very important nutrients, if we consider things like having healthy children. But I think there are some people out there who can only function on strict regimentation, and they thrive on it. I never discount that as a major factor for anyone's health--what they need and what they express in terms of their mental state. That aspect alone will make the diet much healthier for such a person. But it is not for everybody, and truly, in human food history, there has never been a strictly vegan culture. There have been many part time vegetarian cultures (animal foods always become part of the diet during pre-pregnancy, pregnancy, and lactation--often for both men and women): but vegan, no. That doesn't mean individuals haven't opted out of all animal foods--it just means we have no evidence of any culture that's survived and continued based on a purely vegan diet system.

Personally, it wouldn't kill us if we ate meat, but also ate the raw foods and many of the extremely well prepared vegetarian foods as well in our diets--rather than just eating a hunk of meat with a side dish of some starch, with an occasional or annual salad. Opt for the best quality in the ingredients and stay away from foods that are processed--I don't know why we see it only as an "either/or" proposition when it comes to meat free foods.
likeanyother
ChaCha, you need to write a book! You have so much information that is so helpful and not necessarily readily available. I’m starting to think I need to re-incorporate high-quality meats into my diet. I was a vegetarian for a long time (during this time I was a smokin’ drinkin’ rocker who cared about fighting “the system” rather than my health), but I started eating meat occasionally when I would go out to eat because I realized I was getting basically NO protein in my diet.

Lately I haven’t been eating out due to money issues so I’ve been getting my “protein” from fake meat soy shit, which is mostly due to the fact that I’m grossed out by raw meat (yeah, I need to get over that….), and I’ve noticed that I have really low energy, need a lot of sleep and get all light-headed and weak when I try to work out. I’ve also gained a few pounds, which isn’t a huge deal as my real goal is to get more muscular and toned, but I feel that I’ve been going in the opposite direction. So, I’m going to seek out local, free-range organic meat, change my carb/fat/protein ration, and see if it helps. The only issue is getting my boyfriend in on this with me, we cook together a lot and he’s a die-hard soy burger/soy dog vegetarian.

I’ve also been reading about coconut oil, which is a tad confusing since much of the literature is either of the gimmicky-sounding “miracle cure” variety or the “coconut oil = evil, saturated fat, avoid” variety. Chacha, do you recommend everyone use it, or just those with thyroid problems? I’ve never been tested, so I’m not sure if I have a problem or not. But, I’m really only a few pounds overweight, which is probably due to my high carb, low protein way of eating.
rubberdollz
Wow!!!! Thank you so much Chacha for the information. Luckily my homeopath had already warned me of the dangers of soy so I've cut that out of my diet and instead of soy milk I drink hemp, rice or almond milk. I really do like the hemp milk since it does have the omega's in it. I had also warned my friend who has decided to go vegetarian about the dangers of soy so she knows to not buy foods with soy in it.

Your reply to my question was what I had already thought and was really great reading what you had to say. A woman I worked with said her daughter tried to go vegetarian and her health degenerated with it so she returned to eating meat. My friend will learn for herself if she will be able to live her life without meat. I'm curious about being vegetarian but I honestly don't think I would be able to live without eating it ever. In a few years my husband and I want to have children and I want to make sure my body is in good health. Quitting the pill was my first step to becoming healthy and now I'm just trying to progress.

I really want to thank you for the information about being vegan. I'm also going to check out that website you recommended for raw milk. I know Whole Foods does sell a milk that is processed through low pasteurization and I figured if I can find raw then I can get something that is at least close enough. Unfortunately in Michigan we really do not have a lot of places to buy organic foods. I have a store in my town that sells organic but they are a vegetarian/vegan store so no meat.... but there is a TON of soy!!! It's disturbing to think how much soy is being promoted and a lot of people don't realize it.
chachaheels
You know, I've never understood the soy burger thing--the soy hot dog thing I get totally, as hot dogs scare people, and the soy dogs actually taste just like real hot dogs (maybe better).

However, you can make amazing vegetarian burgers from things like lentils and walnuts, just for one example. Or, better still, you can eat foods like falaffel and foule and forget about burgers and hotdogs all together. I want to give credit where credit is due--there are fantastic vegetarian cookbooks out there that offer very good foods and meals--you can eat meat with them or not, up to you. You don't have to replace standard fast foods with soy versions, there's lots more out there to choose from. Your diet should expand, not become limited, when you choose to become vegetarian. It may have been unhealthy for me to be vegetarian in the larger scheme of things, but I really learned how to cook well when I opted to explore vegetable foods.

Take a look at some of the great vegetarian cookbooks out there--you can make alternatives to the typical barbecue foods which will make vegetarians, vegans, and meat eaters all happy. I used to make dinner parties out of one meat dish and a variety of vegetarian foods--curries and other asian dishes, bean salads or salads made with greens that you don't normally have, plus excellent cheeses and/or nuts; main course vegetarian dishes featuring roasted veggies or veggies in pastry or as a base for breads or whatever. They don't take a lot of work at all, many are just very simple, like roasted corn on the cob. So many great cookbooks with vegetarian dishes--Alice Waters, Molly Katzen, Julia Child, etc. etc. and I'm not even getting into the dishes from different cultures which have advanced vegetable food components--Indian, Asian, even European (I swore by one Lorenza de Medici cookbook when I was just starting out as a vegetarian, simply because Italian cuisine has a ton of vegetarian food options way beyond pasta, many using specific leafy greens or wild foods...and it's my own culture, so it was easy for me).

Once you start exploring this kind of food the soy fake foods don't make sense anymore.
olivarria
Chacha, I have yet another question that has me really concerned. I read that coconut oil is 99% saturated fat and can cause high cholesterol and heart problems. Also I am a little worried about the cheeses and meats that I will be consuming in higher amounts - is this bad for my heart and arteries? There is a lot of conflicting info in articles I am seeing on the internet, so would you be able to clear this up for me? I'm only 24, but I have a fair amount of chest pain - I think they're panic attacks but I want to check with a dr. just to make sure, and I don't want to do any harm in the meantime.
chachaheels
Yes, coconut oil is saturated fat. As is butter and the fat in cheese. As is the fat in meat foods, avocado, many fish. All vital fats to our health, all extremely important to good nutrition, all fats about which we've been sorely misinformed over the past 50 years, during which the rates of heart disease have grown exponentially and now effects children and athletes as well as almost anyone in the population. I think we need to stop believing that saturated fats are bad for us, when it's so clear we're not getting anything good from the unsaturated variety.

Industrially, coconut oil has been produced in much the same way lots of other vegetable oils have been produced industrially--hexane treated, bleached, deodorized, chemically altered to hide the rancidity of the fat from consumers who could buy the stuff cheaply and store it forever. However, real coconut oil--expeller pressed, cold pressed oil from the freshest fruit (you can buy extra virgin expeller pressed coconut oil at any good food store now) has tons of very important nutrients that regulate the function of the thyroid gland, act in conjunction with omega 3 fatty acids in brain development, skin health, joint health, reproductive health, and heart health. I know coconuts are staple foods in many cuisines and they have been for hundreds of years. People like to have us think that heart diseases as we know them have been around for ever but the truth of the matter is, as a health phenomenon, heart diseases and heart attacks have only become as widespread in both chronic and acute forms over the last hundred years or so, when our culture lost access to the real foods like whole fat unpasteurized dairy, organ meats (which have many of the high fats and nutrients we can get in coconuts), and fresh, high quality oils, and when we were all told that margarines and rancid oils which were "unsaturated" fats were the only kinds of fats we should be eating.

There are still a vast number of doctors out there who believe this, and tell their patients to eat anything but coconut oil. But there are also many physicians out there who are taking the time to learn more about real nutrition.

There are a lot of great articles on the Weston A Price site about good fats that all women should have for great health--I particularly like the coconut oil because it really does help a lot of people with arthritic pains, thyroid problems, digestion problems, skin problems, (especially when taken with a cod liver oil regimen) etc. Most people like its taste and as a cooking oil where you are cooking with very high temperatures, nothing beats it for its high smoking point. It's stable and it tastes very good.

olivarria
Thank you for clearing that up Chacha. I was not wanting to invalidate anything you had previously said about coconut oil, but just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be causing any ill effects in my cardiovascular system.

It's really amazing all of the information that we are fed (no pun intended), only to find out years later, when we can see the long-term effects, that often the exact opposite is true. For the last 10 years, it seems like everyone has been touting the merits of soy-products, and now we are finding out the harm it can do, particularly to women. I wonder if raw milk and butter will ever be legal again? Maybe we can create an underground network of "bootleg" raw dairy products, like in the prohibition era. Raw milk speakeasies, like in the Jazz Age! I read that good bacteria in raw milk can possibly help with otisis media - i have frequent ear infections and so I'm glad to know this. Per your advice, Chacha i've been reading the work of Mary Enig, also Sally Fallon and Bruce Fife of the Weston A. Price Foundation. I'd like to find out who really funds the FDA and American Heart Association studies? The debates about raw milk are really interesting - I'm looking forward to seeing more research.

Here's an article from the Washington Post that might be of interest to some of you:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6092700108.html
rubberdollz
The book I'm reading called "Garden of Fertility" quotes Weston A. Price a ton when it comes to food. The writer Katie Singer promotes the foods that Weston A. Price talks about. She has numerous times in her book talked about eating meats and raw milk/cheeses/butter but the hard part is finding the raw foods in your area. I know you recommended some sites chacha and I am going to make some time this weekend to look into them.

She has quite the list of oils to not use and canola oil on that list. She speaks about women cutting sugars and soy out of their diets to help promote healthy menstrual cycles.
erinjane
I actually just picked up Sally Fallon's (the woman mentioned in the milk article) book, "Nurturing traditions". I like it so far. It's laid out in a fairly easy to read way and has a lot of recipes. I was really interesting in getting more involved with a diet like these ones last year but when school started up last september I lost all motivation. Now that school's finished I feel like i have time to commit to actually learning this stuff.
rubberdollz
QUOTE(erinjane @ Aug 7 2008, 01:38 PM) *
I actually just picked up Sally Fallon's (the woman mentioned in the milk article) book, "Nurturing traditions". I like it so far. It's laid out in a fairly easy to read way and has a lot of recipes. I was really interesting in getting more involved with a diet like these ones last year but when school started up last september I lost all motivation. Now that school's finished I feel like i have time to commit to actually learning this stuff.

So would you recommend this book? I am looking for some new recipes that are semi-easy to prepare and take ingredients that are easy to find. I am not the biggest chef in the world but I don't mind coming home and preparing a healthy meal. I just hate spending hours doing it....
chachaheels
I love that cookbook. It has such terrific information and the recipes are really, really good. It's the most heavily disguised gourmet how-to I've ever come across. There's nothing that requires tons of skill and special apparatus, just basic how-to-do-this yourself and the foods are all incredibly good for you. It's Slow Food before Slow Food got big.

Lots of resources included as well, and also really good tips on soaking your grains and beans and legumes (if you get gas or indigestion from these foods at all, you won't if you soak them in water and whey first); or fermenting your foods to boost their nutrition, etc. etc. etc.

Enjoy!

P.S. Raw Milk products are already "underground". People all over the world where raw milk is restricted create and sign "CowShare" or "FarmShare" agreements--if you own the cow you can do whatever the heck you want with the milk. So people buy shares of a cow, and they literally, legally, own the milk. They simply "pay" the farmer to feed, house, groom, water, and milk the cow for them.

Or they buy parts of a farm, and "pay" the farmer to keep the farm running so that they can collect fresh raw milk every week or so.

Perfectly legal, perfectly subversive too.
erinjane
I would give it the same glowing endorsement that chacha did. smile.gif
kittenb
x-posted in the General Health thread

When I take longer and faster rides on my bike (3+miles) I've been getting stomach cramps. This happens both if I've eaten before and if I haven't. Standing up and unbuttoning my pants helps almost immediatley, but what can I do to prevent them altogether?
rubberdollz
Alright so that's 2 great reviews on the book, I will definitely give it a shot! Thanks so much, it is always helpful!

I actually looked up the raw milk on the Weston Price website and I saw that about "purchasing" the cow. It's really interesting actually. Unfortunately every place that offers raw milk from that website is hours from where I live and it just wouldn't be easy to get it at this time. I don't know how much better it is but I've switched to goat's milk for the time being, it is still pasteurized but I read somewhere that it's better then cow's milk.
chachaheels
Kitten, are these like stitches? Cramping in the sides, the muscles around the stomach? Or are they actually in the stomach region?

Are they spasmodic cramps?

What makes them feel better?

What makes them feel worse?

Let me know and I'll have a better idea what's going on.
kittenb
They feel acid like and sickly. It is the stomach not the muscles.
What helps is eating something, standing up, lsening my pants and drinking something warm after my ride. Yesterday, I realized that the discomfort started about 1 mile into the ride.
konphusion26
My question is kinda related to what Kitten was talking about. I just bought a bike too, and yesterday after my ride I felt extremely nauseated blink.gif and thought I was going to hurl at any moment. I noticed that feeling too after I exercise (cardio). It is an awful feeling.

Any ideas on why this is happening to me?? And what can I do about it? I so want to get in shape, and I'm starting out slow - but this is making it alot harder to stick with a routine. I don't like feeling queasy.
chachaheels
I'm suggesting a possibility--is there any chance they are related to lowered blood sugar? That the amount of time between the meal and the exercise you do might be far too long and that because of the exercise you're doing you need to eat more protein in the diet in general, and fuel what you're doing with some carbohydrates that won't cause the blood sugar to crash?

olivarria
Okay, so I bought groceries for my new "hypothyroid/PCOS" nutrition plan, and I am psyched, and already feeling better because I've been eating healthier. Today I had a B-vitamin Blueberry Juice smoothie for breakfast (okay, and coffee), and a beautiful salad for lunch - it had boiled eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, chicken, and bleu cheese - Mmmmm. My grocery bill will definitely be larger now that I am eating "real food," because previously I always bought two bags of microwave burritos, several cheap frozen diet meals, cereal and oatmeal and coffee, and that's all what I ate. And I ate on about $35 a week, $5 a day. (Fuck Rachel Ray and her $40 a day!) So this time my grocery bill was a bit higher. I bought some cool appliances - a toaster oven and a contraption that makes poached eggs and omelettes, since I have no stove or oven. Now I can cook real food!

Here is what i bought at the store (I am bored):
-fruit yogurt (the ones with least sugar/carbs)
-rotisserie chicken for salads
-avocados, baby tomatoes, romaine lettuce, shiitaki mushrooms, black olives
-eggs, almonds, sun-dried tomato feta cheese
-ruby pomegranate green tea (I'm giving up coffee for real)
-tiliapia fillets, sour cream and milk
-corn tortillas (for the occasional huevos rancheros), chili
-chicken hot wings, cottage cheese, mozzarella string cheese
-Grape-Nuts (lowest sugar breakfast cereal i could find), oatmeal, strawberries
-chicken breasts that have spinach, artichokes, and alfredo in the middle
-Special-K strawberry-kiwi protein water (I know this is weight-loss gimmick, but I need all the protein I can get, and like to flavor my water).

It is so nice to eat real food - next time I want to get those Laughing Cow cheese wheels and ingredients to make smoothies. I plan to have my grains (oatmeal or cereal) and green tea in the morning, and the rest of the day eat low-carb and low-sugar food. I have not gotten the Eat Fat, Lose Fat book yet, as I am having finals right now. I'll get to the library in a couple days, then make adjustments to my diet as needed. I can't wait to have tilapia (I have recipes for almond-encrusted tilapia), and the Mediterranean salad I'm planning, and the spinach artichoke chicken! Sounds heavenly!

And guess what: I had 12 grocery bags, moderately heavy, and I carried them ALL at one time to my dorm! (Admittedly, they were plastic). The parking lot is really far away from the dorm, and I live on the third floor - this was a lot less strenuous than having to go all the way back and get the second load. yay me! *flexes biceps*

anna k
I had a stressful day yesterday, because my basement apartment became flooded up to an inch of water, with dirt and leaves all over coming from a huge rainstorm in the morning, and was freaking over my place being ruined and trying to mop it up. Luckily my landlord got it cleaned, and I spent the night at my sister's home, and felt so happy and comfortable in an air-conditioned carpeted living room eating healthy Chinese food like steamed chicken and vegetables and brown rice. Today I had two bananas for breakfast, and for lunch, a sandwich from Trader Joe's and a peach, and destressed myself by working out to old workout videos, like Claudia Schiffer's (it sounds cheesy, but I liked her workout videos; they had great cinematography, good music, good routines designed by Kathy Kaehler, and Claudia looks like a Brigitte Bardot doll), working out my stomach and legs mostly and feeling good muscle work.

Despite that my lower belly will always be soft and not look good in a bikini, I have strong ab muscles, size 10 pants can feel loose on me, I love feeling my arm muscles and my quads, and I like my proportions. Sometimes I wish I were thinner, but I like my combination of being strong and soft at the same time, kind of like someone who is curvy but in good shape, like Nigella Lawson, Eva Mendes, or Drew Barrymore.
candycane_girl
olivarria, all of the stuff on your grocery list sounds so good! I can't wait to get back home and do some grocery shopping of my own.

chacha, I was reading a few posts back where you mentioned your ideal fat/protein/carb ratio and I was just wondering how you figured it out. I went to a dietitian a few months back and she just gave me the classic 1/4 protein 1/4 carbs 1/2 vegetables figure. I know that I need to up my intake of fruit and vegetables but I felt like she didn't really help much as I still felt completely lost when I went to the grocery store. Are there any suggestions you could make? Sometimes I just need a list of food that I *should* eat such as olivarria's.
erinjane
QUOTE(erinjane @ Aug 7 2008, 09:43 PM) *
I would give it the same glowing endorsement that chacha did. smile.gif

So I still love the book and have found it really helpful, but I did have a criticism as a I read a little further. I know that because I have diabetes I'm extra sensitive to what is written about it, but I was really frustrated that Fallon made no effort to clarify that she was only talking about type 2 diabetes. I have type 1 diabetes and I actually almost felt insulted in one paragraph when she talks about the dangers diabetics live with. She also never actually says, but alludes that sugar consumption is the cause of diabetes. By not stating that she talks to type 2, this just ads to confusion about type 1 and how it's caused. I think that statement also simplifies the actual cause of type 2 as well. But anywho, I know it's a book written in a way to make a certain point.

Otherwise I really do love the book. I find myself snacking on junk a whooole lot less since I started reading it. Just having the understanding of how the foods I'm eating affect my body has given me a whole new level of consciousness when I go to grab a snack. My parents are going a way for a month on Monday and I'm excited to try some of the new recipes.

I was kicking some exercise ass, but I've been laying low since Sunday because I broke my nose. But now I'm off the Tylenol 3's and feeling back to normal.
rubberdollz
QUOTE(erinjane @ Aug 14 2008, 03:04 PM) *
So I still love the book and have found it really helpful, but I did have a criticism as a I read a little further. I know that because I have diabetes I'm extra sensitive to what is written about it, but I was really frustrated that Fallon made no effort to clarify that she was only talking about type 2 diabetes. I have type 1 diabetes and I actually almost felt insulted in one paragraph when she talks about the dangers diabetics live with. She also never actually says, but alludes that sugar consumption is the cause of diabetes. By not stating that she talks to type 2, this just ads to confusion about type 1 and how it's caused. I think that statement also simplifies the actual cause of type 2 as well. But anywho, I know it's a book written in a way to make a certain point.

Otherwise I really do love the book. I find myself snacking on junk a whooole lot less since I started reading it. Just having the understanding of how the foods I'm eating affect my body has given me a whole new level of consciousness when I go to grab a snack. My parents are going a way for a month on Monday and I'm excited to try some of the new recipes.

I was kicking some exercise ass, but I've been laying low since Sunday because I broke my nose. But now I'm off the Tylenol 3's and feeling back to normal.

Hey thanks for the update on the book ErinJane! I am waiting to get paid and then plan on picking up the book sometime soon. That's cool about the snacking on the foods. I decided to go cold turkey with eating sugars and am doing ok until the building I work in brought in free little mini chocolates for the office. Of course it had twix in it! I managed to stay away but I am still looking at a bowl full of chocolate and resisting is hard. Ugh.... I know that once I get over the cravings I will stop craving but it's getting to that point.

Good job on kicking exercise ass! My friend and I have been working out 3-4 days a week for about an hour each day. I feel like I'm toning up but my pants are still fitting me and my big butt. Sucks. I wish it was simpler to lose weight and didn't take so long.
_octinoxate
hey ladies,

i've been lurking for a bit, and all the buzz about that book inspired me to pose a related question: does anyone know of a recipe book (or website) that has the world's easiest--but still healthy!--vegetarian recipes? i want to start cooking just a little more than i do currently (which is not at all) but right now even 20-30 minutes of cooking seems overwhelming. i need some basic ideas/guidelines on preparing quick, fresh dinners. you know, so i don't just make the same veggie stir fry with quick-cooking rice every night if i take this goal on. ideas? thanks in advance!
auralpoison
You might want to xpost this with the barefoot & precocious thread in AbFad, Octinoxate.
zoya
QUOTE(_octinoxate @ Aug 14 2008, 10:43 PM) *
hey ladies,

i've been lurking for a bit, and all the buzz about that book inspired me to pose a related question: does anyone know of a recipe book (or website) that has the world's easiest--but still healthy!--vegetarian recipes? i want to start cooking just a little more than i do currently (which is not at all) but right now even 20-30 minutes of cooking seems overwhelming. i need some basic ideas/guidelines on preparing quick, fresh dinners. you know, so i don't just make the same veggie stir fry with quick-cooking rice every night if i take this goal on. ideas? thanks in advance!

Hi octi - I'll see if you cross posted this, and I'll cross post the reply, too...

but here it is:

The Vegetarian 5 Ingredient Gourmet by Nava Atlas

I'm not a vegetarian, and even so, this cookbook is a staple in my kitchen. I use it almost every day. Every recipe uses just 5 ingredients, and they're fast, good, and healthy.

hope this helps
tankgirl
Oxi, I am vegan and use www.vegweb.com for most of my meals. There a lot of really good, easy recipes on there and you can even make your own recipe box. But, there isn't any nutritional info on there because all the recipes are submitted by people on the site. good luck, if you need some ideas, PM me, I cook almost all my meals from scratch. I know you probably aren't vegan but I also use the book vegan vittles so much all the pages are stained and ripped tongue.gif
_octinoxate
many thanks for the suggestions, AP, zoya, and tankgirl!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.