Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
mumblestutter
hey candycane. what you said really feels familiar to me. i tend to struggle with eating when not hungry. sometimes i just feel compelled to & can't help it. i don't really have access to health care, but i think for me some of it is a nutritional issue. like i ate, but i didn't get the nutrients my body wanted, so i feel like i need to eat. i try to take a multi vitamin. it seems to help. i keep craving meat & dairy, so i've been thinking about adding iron & calcium supplements.

i think some of it is hormonal too. for the past few months, i've felt a really out of control, fierce need to eat in the days before my period. of course, i only realize that's what is is later... so i feel a little better about things after the fact.

i don't know if any of that was helpful... but i feel like the only thing i can do is pay attention and listen to what my body's doing. maybe there are patterns in what's happening to you that you can pick out? good luck!
angie_21
Candycane, I have a lot of self-control issues myself, and I find the simplest way to deal with it is to limit what food I have access to. I could spend all the time I want analysing what kind of food I eat and what triggers it, but in the end, if I know there's chocolate in the house, I will eat it, whether I'm hungry or not. I know this about myself and doubt I can change it, so I try to work with it instead. I also make a habit of never carrying spare change or cash around with me, so it's way more difficult to go to a vending machine or convenience store. I've never looked up anyresources on this because I've always felt it's a pretty normal part of the human condition and something almost every one struggles with to a greater or lesser degree. As much as I personally hate the diet&health industry, though, I do have quite a few friends who have had a lot of success with weight watchers, and who thought the program was reasonable and not too hard to follow.
likeanyother
Hellz yeah. I’m glad you guys are talking about this cuz I have definitely dealt with the same thing. The question is why? And of course, there’s no simple answer, I’m sure it’s a complicated mix of biology, culture, and emotion. I tend to think that if I’m eating when I’m clearly not hungry, or gorging myself beyond the point of fullness, then there’s something emotional going on, and in a way that’s the hardest to deal with of the three factors. Nutritionally, I can take supplements and make sure I’m eating balanced meals, culturally I can make a point not to surround myself with people/places/foods that are hard to resist – these things do help – but emotionally, how can I stop myself from eating in response to something going on inside me that I don’t understand, or feel in control of?

I guess it’s a process. I know I eat when I feel lonely or anxious or depressed. Being aware of this is a step. I’m reading Michael Pollan’s “In Defense of Food” which has taught me a lot about the food industry and what I’m putting into my body, which is another step. I also read “The Wisdom of Yoga”, which may not sound like it has much to say about an individual’s relationship to food, but it actually helped me A LOT. It goes pretty deeply into how our minds work, the various factors going on inside our bodies and how they connect to our actions, including reaching for food even when we’re not hungry.

All this has helped. That and exercise! There’s a super-fit guy at my work who’s kind of a bane, but he said something about his (perfect, of course) fitness routine, which made sense and I’ve kept it in mind while trying to get in shape. He lost like 20 pounds by starting running and he said that no matter what, consistency is key. Because if you do start working out and just do it half-assed you won’t see results and you’ll get discouraged and want to quit. So, I think about that on the mornings I don’t feel like getting up early to go jogging and it has really helped motivate me to just freakin do it.

How y’all doin?
candycane_girl
Thanks for the advice, ladies. I think that this is simply going to be a long process for me. I still might talk to my doctor about maybe seeing a therapist to work through my issues but I'm just going to start by making small changes but trying to be consistent with them.
lananans
I have the exact same problem. Very frequently I will eat until I feel sick. Like today at lunch, I knew I only needed a 6" sub from Subway, but I got the footlong, because eating more food makes me feel better. I am a very emotional eater, and just feel sometimes like I have absolutely no control over it.

I have tried Weight Watchers three times, and every time I go off of it, and gain the weight back. Maybe I should talk to my doctor too, I dunno...
anna k
I felt bored in my gym class tonight, and am going to change my schedule. There are two workout classes that I usually go to, but since I've been there for so long, it's gotten really easy for me. So I think I'll just go to the dance class, use weights, then do a kickboxing class on Friday night. I've taken the class a few times, and really enjoy it, wanting to learn more self-defense moves. I get to practice with both men and women, and like the community of it.

Today I splurged and got some Thai takeout, then spent an hour and a half at the gym, but only felt good using the weights and felt bored in the abs class. So I went home and did a kickboxing workout DVD that made me feel good and burning off the food, which is what prompted my gym class change. I want to challenge my body differently, continue to lose weight (I started at the gym at 163 lbs at 5'4 and am currently at 130 lbs), and feel fitter, even though it can be hard because I have a naturally curvy, soft body shape. A plus side is that a guy I fooled around with last week, post-sex, said that I have a "really beautiful body." That was really nice to hear after all my work.
chachaheels
I have tried Weight Watchers three times, and every time I go off of it, and gain the weight back. Maybe I should talk to my doctor too, I dunno...

That's because Weight Watchers' real slogan for weight loss is "Results not typical". In fact, the number of people who actually keep weight off after a reduced calorie diet, by WW's own stats, is less than 2 out of a thousand. But that is why they stay in business, and that's why "weight loss" is such a billion dollar industry--its self-perpetuating.

I don't want to blame WW alone, any "diet" program that gets you to "cut" calories to lose weight results in not just weight gain but damaged metabolism as well. That means you'll gain it back and then some. You're taught to believe its your failure, but actually you're just experiencing the aftereffects of starvation on the body: damaged metabolism which disables your ability to absorb nutrients from your food.

That's why "binge" eating happens. All cravings for all kinds of foods have some bona fide physiological driver behind them. People who crave sugar often do so because of real need, not because of a lack of will power (sugar cravings will often signify many pathologies--thyroid dysfunction, diabetes, or, depending on what's being consumed as sugar--alcohol, tobacco, heavy grain foods--a massive deficiency in B vitamins).

If you crave red meat particularly before your period, you're very likely anemic and in dire need of the protein and minerals you can only get from red meat. If you crave salty foods, sugary foods--there are excellent reasons for that, a dire need to rebalance the water in your body; a strong need for trace minerals. Don't ignore those cravings, it's not a failing--it is your body telling you what it needs to function. Lots of women eat much more before their periods--that's because they absolutely need the foods they are eating in those quantities, end of debate. To go around thinking that's a "loss of self-control" is just wrong. It never fails: the more you try to restrict from your diet, the more you will find yourself "eating without thinking" specific types of foods which contain whatever nutrient you need.

Getting to know the emotional triggers is essential behind every aspect of your health--I would even go so far as to say that the emotional triggers are what push the body into the state of depletion which seems to force people into the physical need for foods that they'll then eat in "binges", and I don't think it's correct that we call this a "loss of self control" in every case. Seems to me our bodies will force us to have what we need no matter what we think we're doing--it's like trying to stop breathing: when you hold your breath "successfully" you'll be forced into unconsciousness, and your body will once again initiate breathing against all your efforts, for the sake of maintaining homeostasis and survival. Same thing with food. You can go on calorie reduced diet plans of every stripe and lose tons of weight by starving yourself, but at some point your body will put a stop to that and you will be forced to take in the nutrition you need until it is satisfied that you will not die by starving yourself. Just because you're dropping down in size does not mean you are healthier, not by a long shot. For a lot of women, it's simply a sign of starvation, and nothing more. The body only tolerates that for a limited time, and it will always try to restore equilibrium by forcing you to eat what you need.

angie_21
thanks chacha, you are so right, and what you said is so sensible and well-explained. There's so much information out there that is sold to us by the diet (and fast food) industries, its so easy to get confused and so hard to keep track of the facts. When the diet industry tries to tell us that only "weak" and self indulgent women eat food, it's so wrong and degrading, and in the end its very bad for our mental health and our bodies. I never feel guilty for eating, but instead try to find healthy snacks I like, and work on doing things like substituting healthier ingredients, things like that. When I do feel bad about what I ate, it's if I've eaten too much junk food like potato chips and my stomach actually feels bad. I hate the feeling of realizing I've just put something disgusting in my body voluntarily.

The people I know who found weight watchers helpful liked the idea of being able to eat a lot of certain foods (mostly vegetables) to satisfy their cravings, so that they never had to actually feel hungry. For example, being able to eat unlimited amounts of green vegetables. But why would you have to pay money to go on a program just to learn something like "vegetables are good for you?" I think it probably depends on how people interpret the rules, and what their original cravings and reasons for eating are.
chachaheels
The thing about Weight Watchers and other programs like them is that they aren't just selling information. Often they do provide something that people whose bodies are outside of what is deemed acceptably sized have to live without--a sense of community and attention. Those "weigh-in" meetings are all about getting people to keep buying in to the diet process, they serve the purpose of providing lots of people with individual and group support. This, it turns out, is really valuable to everybody; but to many people who've felt like they're the wrong size or they've actually felt discriminated against because of their sizes all their lives, finding acceptance on that group scale (even if you have to pay for it) does help to keep someone motivated, and I would say it adds a great deal to the quality of their lives.

But, other than that, all of these programs are in the business of selling you food. Many people think Weight Watchers gives you "an option" about what to eat--you can buy their packaged products or, they tell you, you can eat anything out there. But then their literature will include volumes of lists on how fast food and junk foods and chain restaurant foods will fit into their programs, in effect they're actually advertising those foods to you and promoting them to you on their "plan". They've got thousands of processed foods they sell to their members as snacks, or meals, or bread options, or protein options.
Now, when you look at the actual ingredients of those foods they are directly advertising to you as their subscriber, those foods are all very high in MSG, artifical flavours and aromas, foods that have been stripped of nutrients in their processing in order to make them cheap to produce and extremely profitable to the manufacturer, not to the consumer. This is where the vast bulk of the corporation's profits come in: in the execrably low-quality, very cheap-to-produce foods they sell directly to their diet customers, at incredibly high prices (I might add). The ad revenues for playing corporate partner to MacDonalds/Wendy's/TacoBell/put any chain restaurant or fast food chain's name here, including Dunkin Donuts (wtf?) are also incredible sources for their profit. The actual "dieters" are just being used in this set up.

And that alone makes me see them as exploitive. That the foods are actually devoid of nutrition as well as full of ingredients which create clinical deficiency and substantial weight gain by changing the way your metabolism actually functions--that's criminal. It's an extremely devious way of ensuring your sustained subscription and your sustained need for their "weight loss services". In the meantime, you're paying for the privilege of starving your body and eating portions of recommended foods from thousands of junk food agribusiness corporations.

Oh, yes, you can avoid all that crap they do advertise to you in those programs, and you can cook the best foods--but I've found that the "diet" health and nutrition advice given to people who need to address real problems in nutrition simply isn't there, and that the stripped down real food option still leaves you being directed towards foods that are not optimum choices. In the end, you're still doing without the necessary fats, carbohydrates and proteins and actual micronutrients you have to have to be healthy. What they are selling has nothing to do with health. It has a lot to do with selling food, creating a need, and then filling that need.

If people actually did gain health, lose excess weight and were able to keep it off because they didn't need to store fat in their bodies anymore, WW and all others like them would have been out of business decades ago. Instead, they're heading up a multi billion dollar industry while people happen to get bigger and bigger and bigger, and small producers of real foods keep going out of business as they're bought out by big food corporations growing the raw ingredients used to make the cheap junk foods WW and fast food/chain resto food giants sell to their mutual clients.

I think a far better investment, if you're really interested in being healthy again, would be to seek out really good counseling. It's very important to understand yourself mentally and emotionally--understand how this aspect of your health can trigger or create the physical changes which will result in behaviours like overeating. When I look at the cravings my patients have, I not only see physical needs that have to be met in their food choices, I also see big emotional needs that have to be met there--the types of foods we crave are not accidental in any way, and they have arguably NOTHING to do with "will power". Understanding what's actually driving those decisions to eat and what to eat will go a long way to eliminating both the real physiological need as well as satifying the equally important emotional need.
twelve_percent
Oh goodness. This video gets me giddy as fuck whenever I watch it. Mika is a wonderful man.
angie_21
While I love the idea of the song... why are none of the girls in the video actually big? I will always be a fan of Queen's fat bottomed girls myself. smile.gif

I never really thought of my cravings that way, though I probably should. I think its because I've never had really strong, irresistible cravings before. I've never understood though, why stress used to make me nauseous when I was a teenager, but now it makes me want ice cream. I think that might be social conditioning. Also, after being a vegetarian for 3 years and then going back to meat-eating, I crave carbs way more than before I was a vegetarian, and I've always assumed it was because I ate grains and potatoes in a way higher proportion during that time, and my body got used to it. Is that possible? I've never craved meat, I can't even imagine what that would feel like!
stargazer
QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Apr 3 2009, 05:35 PM) *
I just feel like there's something else that has a hold over me. Does anyone know of any resources to deal with this? I feel really out of control. Food is constantly on my mind. I don't even want to lose a ton of weight at this point, I just want to get healthy and not face any health risks.

Candy, you know what helped me about 7 years ago, was using a food log. As part of a class about eating disorders (psych major), I had to log every meal, snack, drink, or piece of food I took in. I had to write how much of food I was eating, how I was feeling, and what thought I was having before eating. It really forced me to look at my eating patterns. Also, I took a weekend of practicing mindfulness which involved eating lunch mindfully. It was so tough. I'm used to shoveling Simpsons style when I eat. We were instructed to eat in silence, rest our spoon/fork in between each bite, and to really feel the experience of the food in our mouth, taste, and swallowing of our food. It was so hard to change my habits. Really, it still is. Especially when I'm PMSing or stressed out. It feels like my stomach is a bottomless pit.

chacha, thank you so much for the information about what signals the body is giving us when we crave for certain foods. I find that as I'm becoming more committed to exercise that I still struggle with feeding my body properly. I don't think I'm eating enough during the daytime (breakfast and lunch) to fuel my body throughout the day. I find that I am feeling less energetic and tired.

I've been meaning to post this info I've noticed over the past couple of years in my life. When I'm focusing too much on losing weight, like by weighing myself often, I actually put on weight. When my goal is staying active and feeling stronger in my body and I'm not focused on weighing myself, I am more successful with losing weight and staying committed to my fitness goals. blink.gif

My goal for this week is to start incorporating weight training by using the free weights I have at the house here.
anna k
I felt really good in my dance class tonight. I had gotten some new yoga pants that weren't as big on me as my previous ones, and I was afraid that they would be snug and make me feel fat, but I got more comfortable in them. And I got a grey shirt from H&M that seriously makes me feel really sexy. It drops a little in the back behind my neck, and I love seeing my little shoulder blades and the shape in my back and spine, and it not only shows off my breasts but makes me feel slimmer and sexier.

I saw my family this weekend, and the family members who hadn't seen me in a few months kept saying how much thinner I looked, and that I was very pretty and beautiful. I like the compliments, but it can make me feel a little embarassed for having been heavier earlier. When I started going to the gym, I was 160 lbs, and now I'm 133 lbs, and have replaced some fat with muscle and feel a lot stronger and more shaplier. I'm sort of in between thin and not-thin, like having long strong arms and legs, but a round belly and big breasts, so I can't call myself skinny nor fat.

stargazer, I used a food diary too, and it helped a lot to keep track of what I was eating and managing my diet, and after a few months, I stopped it because I felt I had managed well enough without it. But it was a great benefit.

I usually have more of a sweet tooth, and eat a few pieces of dark chocolate a day to settle it. Other than that, I don't eat any other junk food. I can't drink soda without not liking the taste anymore, and I still eat wheat/gluten sometimes, but don't eat a lot as to not upset my stomach.
candycane_girl
Thanks, star. I actually used a food diary when I first lost weight but it scares me to go back and see how little I ate compared to now. I definitely want to get back into the food diary thing but right now I feel so stressed with exams. It feels like it would be yet another thing to have to concentrate on. This is such a stressful time of year, I find that everything (cooking, keeping up with laundry, keeping my place clean) kind of gets left behind during exams. It's hard for me to balance it all.
sassygrrl
Candy and Star,

There's a great diet log on Lance Armstrong's site called The Daily Plate. I don't use it every day, but it does help.
I'm reading Jillian Michael's book on metabolism right now. It's all about eating clean, and getting rid of drinking soda, etc.

I'm trying to get back into circuit training this week, and heading to a capoeira class tomorrow at a local class. I saw on it the Australian version of Biggest Loser the other day. It sounded like fun. I was PMSing this past week, and was too tired.
anna k
My stomach has been feeling crappy again, due to IBS. I don't know what triggers it, if it's dairy or whatnot. It sometimes comes with my period, but it just feels so nasty and annoying to hear intestinal grumbling and feeling physically down. I don't eat wheat/gluten much, but should really avoid it more, as well as cow's milk, if that could be irritating me. It was feeling fine for a good while, and just started feeling crappy these past few weeks. Blech.

sassygirl, capoeria sounds like fun!
candycane_girl
Ugh, I am having the worst craving for Chinese food right now. This is the kind of thing that makes me think I have some kind of psychological problem with food. I am not hungry at all, I'm not drunk or stoned (which usually makes me want food) I am simply having a horrible craving. Seriously, it's been almost all I can think about for the last hour. Wtf? Does anyone else get like this?
ketto
The only solution I've found that works for me when it comes to bad cravings, is doing something, anything. I make myself sing to some music, play a video game, clean, do laundry, read a book, do yardwork, a bike ride, a walk...anything to just keep myself busy enough, which also usually makes me at least a teeny bit active. That's why I find night time the worst for me...I'm tired, I just want to watch TV, and sitting on my ass makes me want to snack.

I got my cast off this week so I'm planning to make myself some home made snacks. Granola bars, dried fruit, muffins, banana bread, crackers, hummus. I love to cook, so it actually keeps me busy instead of eating too.

I have serious doubts that I'll make my goal of running the half marathon in late June. The broken hand set me back 3 weeks and I didn't exactly jump right back into my routine this week. I think the test will be in the next 10 days...if I don't go running at least 6 or 7 times I don't think I'll be able to train for that distance in time.

Time for major willpower and commitment.
angie_21
I was doing so good earlier this year, but now I gained back the 3 pounds I lost. sigh. Having a boyfriend and a social life really kills the diet. Last night I went out for drinks, had a giant burger with 5 pints of beer, then we all polished off 2 giant bags of doritos and drank far too many rum and cokes. Boy I fell crappy today, not much of a hangover, just lazy and dehydrated and craving greasy food. It was fun though.

I know that most days, the snacks I eat make the 200 calorie difference between losing and gaining weight. Then I go out on Fridays and that really kills the diet. I don't want to give up the nights out, so I keep meaning to do workouts to counterbalance most of what I eat and cut down on snacks, but too much stress over the last few months has been my downfall. Stress doesn't make me crave junk food any more than usual, but it does change my judgement and my ability to say, no, an apple would be a better idea. It also prevents me from having the time to buy better groceries and plan meals ahead of time.

I think those cravings happen to everyone. The worst is when a commercial or billboard gets to you right when you're hungry, or the smells of food courts at the mall. Once the idea gets into my head, it's hard to get it back out again. It's like how the only way to get a song out of your head is to listen to it all the way through! When I get those kind of cravings, my best strategy is to wait a bit - either it goes away, of gets worse. If it gets worse I indulge it, but I try to do it in moderation and pick a healthy version of whatever it is, and then avoid that food for a while afterwards.
p_176
as much as i hate food diaries, i love them. i have used them to not only track what i'm eating, but to guesstimate how many calories i'm eating, and to see if there are times when i snack more, or cheat more. i've been able to use mine to determine when and why i was 'abusing' my body by not feeding it nutritious food.
ccg - the only times i crave chinese/asian food is when i'm having salt cravings...
jami
p_176... I finally condensed it down to the chicken fried rice. must have the soysauce, of course. sigh. that will satisfy me for awhile.
~~~what do be done about surgery marks?~~~~ I know about vitamin E. my fav lotion is Rachel Perry, and I'm looking into if there's one with E.
any other suggestions???

thanks all.
anna k
I wonder how much that we regard of our body's flaws are actually noticeable to others. Like I've noticed that the nape of my neck is lower and wider rather than long and narrow, and it makes me self-conscious, thinking that I look less feminine. But it isn't anything that I can change, so I wear my hair long to hide it. But I can't tell whether it's my own perception or if it is really that unattractive. It's bullshit to ponder this, but I felt unattractive because of it, embarassed because it made me feel less feminine.

I thought of this because I freaked when some of my upper back teeth shifted, and I worried about them, yet my dentist didn't think it was a problem, and my mom and friend could hardly notice a difference when I showed them. So I don't know if my own physical flaws are something that is noticeable, or if it's all in my head.
jami
anna... I'm sure that we are WAY more critical to ourselves than we know or will even admit.
I used to have nightmares that my teeth were falling out... (they had shifted after teemager braces). nobody else noticed.
my youngest boy didn't even notice when I'd lost weight. 50 pounds. ya think he'd notice that.
mylove says I'm beautiful. I don't see it. but when he says it, I feel it.
girltrouble
jami, i swear by comfrey salve. for scars. i would get road rash pretty bad when i was learning to skateboard. once it had healed, on went the salve. you can get it at a health food store usually. do not put it on open wounds. for discoloration, there is hydrogen peroxide. it takes a while, but it will even out skin tone. once your skin has healed, you can apply it with a cotton ball two to four times a day. i recommend putting lotion on after it's dried to keep the skin moisturized...

when i was getting some laser treatment i was desperate, and told the doctor to crank it. while it was the fastest method for getting rid of a portion of my very laser resistant hair, i was left with hyper pigmentation-- my beard area was several shades darker than the rest of my skin. it's taken me years of off and on with the peroxide, but the hyper pigmentation is barely noticeable in my hairless area to anyone but me, the same for some birthmarks. sadly i'm still self conscious about it :/ and i know it's in my head-- atleast partially. :/
jami
GT... thanks for the reccomendation! I have already purchased the rose hip oil that was reccomended. I know of a health food store nearby and I will look for the comfrey salve. thankyouthankyou!!
ketto
QUOTE(anna k @ May 8 2009, 11:20 PM) *
I wonder how much that we regard of our body's flaws are actually noticeable to others. Like I've noticed that the nape of my neck is lower and wider rather than long and narrow, and it makes me self-conscious, thinking that I look less feminine. But it isn't anything that I can change, so I wear my hair long to hide it. But I can't tell whether it's my own perception or if it is really that unattractive. It's bullshit to ponder this, but I felt unattractive because of it, embarassed because it made me feel less feminine.

I thought of this because I freaked when some of my upper back teeth shifted, and I worried about them, yet my dentist didn't think it was a problem, and my mom and friend could hardly notice a difference when I showed them. So I don't know if my own physical flaws are something that is noticeable, or if it's all in my head.

Stuff like that has never really bothered me for the simple reason that I NEVER notice stuff like that on other women/people. I still get bothered by my body image but I feel like that's my own issue, not something that others notice. Honestly, when is the last time you noticed the nape of someone's neck down to great detail? I used to think everyone was staring at my chubby tummy rolls when I sat down in high school so I always wore a sweater. Of course then I realized that I have never sat down and stared at another woman's stomach...probably because we're all too self-absorbed with our own body issues. Chances are, most of your "flaws" are all in your head.
Same thing with weight...I've noticed about a 10 pound increase from last August while everyone keeps telling me it's unnoticeable.

Man, it's been a busy few weeks. I've been sticking to working out pretty well and got my new bike a week and a half ago. It's a beauty! I'm hoping to take off from work in an hour or so so I can get in a 2-3 mile run and then I have a meeting tonight. I've started highlighting the days I work out on my calender...I find it's a big motivation for me and I don't like to have more than two days unhighlighted in a row. biggrin.gif
p_176
i like that idea - highlighting it on the calendar!!!!
ketto
It works really well for me because I keep a calender on my wall right beside my bed, so I have to look at it all the time. I feel so proud because the last three weeks have been pretty bright!

Me and my boy went on a 2.8 mile run after work. I use mapmyrun.com to figure out a route and then just run around my neighbourhood. I've never gone running with a boyfriend before, we had fun. It was good motivation for both of us.
anna k
My stomach has been feeling better lately, thanks to reducing dairy and taking belladonna tablets, but I noticed when I stopped eating chocolate for a few days, the intestinal grwoling decreased, then came back more when I ate it again. Maybe it was the kind of chocolate (Milk Duds), but it just irritated my stomach, so now I would just eat chocolate rarely. I hate that, since I don't eat much junk food and have few sweets that I eat.

Thanks ketto for the reassurance about self-perception. And that's so cool that you ran nearly 3 miles with your boy!
jami
Anna... what does the belladonna do??? and yes, I can relate to the milk / chocolate thing. I think I've had three bowls of cereal in the past 4 months - that and cheese is the max of my milk intake. and my tummy has been ever so much better.
As for chocolate... I cut it out completely before my surgery. calorory-wise, I was trying to get healthy and loose weight as well. I have noticed that I am reaching for the peanut m+m's. and I had a stash of Lindt chocolates. I just can't stop. well, I can when I make myself. gonna have to do that again.
and yes, chocolate is a laxative. and it works extremely well for me. too well.
anna k
Jami, the belladonna can be used to relieve spasms in the digestive tract, quiting the intestinal growling. It generally works, though I feel like my IBS is acting up both from chocolate and possibly PMS-ing. It just helps better if I avoid cow's milk products and wheat/gluten, and my stomach is better for it.
ketto
This calender highlighting thing is working great. This is the end of week 5 and I spent the last 5 days doing hardcore cardio workouts. Yesterday I went to a friends house and jumped on a trampoline for 30 minutes straight and my legs don't even hurt today. I also realized I have my own personal "stepper" in my room. I don't know how to explain it without showing it: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/cel...om/DSC_0103.jpg

Anywho, I just suddenly realized this on Thursday. It's not a big step but still...I thought I'd try for 5 minutes...and that turned into 10, then 15, 20...So I faced my TV and did 25 minutes of step ups. I was drenched by the end and my calves were pretty sore but I think I could have done another 5-10 minutes. I'm feeling so much stronger this week, I suddenly noticed a big difference, not so much in the way I look, but in the way I feel. That alone is making me stay committed...and also the fact that I have two weddings to go to this month and it'll be beach weather by July. Paperboy said it looks like I'm losing weight. I don't weigh myself very often and I'm trying to keep it that way for a couple of more weeks.

sassygrrl
I highlight my calender for my workout days. It helps to keep me motivated.

Step ups are hard! I am so proud of myself! This morning I dragged myself and Mcgeek to this local gym. It was the first workout that I'd ever done with a trainer. The warm up was 30 pushups, 30 sit-ups, 30 lunges, and 3 sets of jumping rope. They were going to add chin ups too, but didn't want to kill Mcgeek and I.

The actual workout had me jogging, doing siting squats with a step-up, and step-ups three times. They did motify for my cp in my right side. It was still a bitch too! I have pain in muscles that I didn't even know existed! I was very proud of myself for finishing all that in 26 minutes. Most of the exercises I'd either just see on Biggest Loser or had not done in a very loong time.

I don't think I'd want to do this high-intensity training every day though. The rate for the gym is pretty high too. The good news is that there is no contract.

Also, I lost 7 pounds this week!! smile.gif

turner
gals, can anyone help me out?! i am totally short, tiny and yet oddly round: think bette midler during the chubby years. i know exercize is the key...and i am doing that but sometimes i just want to slap a girdle on and pretend for a night. i have never worn nor bought a girdle, and i am not looking for anything uncomfortable...just something to make me feel more tucked in while wearing light airy summer dresses. any suggestions ladiez?
ketto
turner, I don't think you're getting responses because this isn't really the right thread for a question like that. I don't browse the fashion/clothing threads but you probably want to try in one of those.

sassy, that workout sounds great. I think I may steal the warm up. I've been wanting to start doing pushups for a while but my broken hand has been too sore. I think it's finally feeling okay now though. I WAS about to go for a run but it started raining 10 minutes ago. sad.gif

Last night I did a shorter 2 mile run, but it was the first time I didn't have to stop and take a walking break in the middle. biggrin.gif
hellotampon
I have a stupid question followed by a long self-absorbed whine session, but I need to ask. When you work out, your muscles get a little bigger, right? So if I do enough squats, my flat, nothing ass will get a little bigger, at least as much as genetics will allow?

What about my stomach? I never have and never will be satisfied with mine, because I have a big ribcage and flat back, and it makes for an ugly-shaped torso. I also have a little slab of fat around my bellybutton, which looks okay on most women but I think it looks stupid on me because of my body shape. And I understand that spot-reducing doesn't exist and even if I had absolutely NO fat on my stomach I'd still think I had a clunky-shaped body. BUT, lately I've noticed that my entire abdomen seems bigger and firmer. It sticks out more. If I flex my muscles and grab the fluff, the same amount that I've always had is there. I'm guessing it can either be more muscle cells, or visceral fat, but either way it's pushing my stomach out and making it look worse.

In the last year I've been working full-time in a nursing home and I do a lot of lifting and pulling people up in bed. I clench my stomach muscles a LOT. My arms and back are definitely stronger. And I think I weigh the same as I did when I started. So it could just be muscle. Anyway, are there any ab exercises I could do that would pull my stomach IN? Or is it a case of "muscle is muscle and working out just makes them bigger no matter what?"
angie_21
hellotampon,

My understanding is yes, kind of. Working out defintely makes muscles bigger - look at the massive legs marathon runners have! But it also makes you look sleeker, because muscle is toned, firm, and smooth compared to fat. I found that lots of stair climbing and hiking made me stay the same clothing size, but my butt looked a lot better because my body shape was different, though I'm not sure how much the size actually changed. Honestly, I think the stomach fat thing is an impossible battle, without losing almost all your body fat. It's the way women are built, and chances are, it looks exactly the same on you as everyone else! I have the fat under the abs thing, it drives me nuts, because even though I don't have much jiggly fat actually on my stomach, I still have a bit of a buddha belly, and it never goes away. Drinking lots of water is the best way to keep it under control though, to prevent water bloating.

Also, I don't know if this is a myth, but there's a bunch of components to your abs, so if you work out all of them, you'll have a tighter stomach. The lower abs especially tend to get missed during regular sit-ups.
ketto
So I actually went running twice while I was away on vacation. I was really proud of myself because a few months ago that definitely would not have happened. On one of the days I just had bad anxiety and felt like I needed to do SOMETHING. It was a good release. Yesterday I did another 2.5 miles and I felt so strong.

I was really active while I was away and I ended up losing 5 pounds. Finally! A week and a half ago I put on a pair of board shorts that fit perfectly last year and they were still too tight to wear comfortably. I tried them on when I got home on Saturday and they fit again! I've been steadily exercising for 7 weeks and I am staying committed for once. I'm also going gluten free which makes it a lot harder to snack on some foods so my eating has been pretty decent. Yesterday I felt confident enough to wear my bikini top around the yard for a bit.

I never thought I would be a morning runner, but I love it now.
MsKissyStarfish
QUOTE(hellotampon @ Jun 6 2009, 02:41 PM) *
I have a stupid question followed by a long self-absorbed whine session, but I need to ask. When you work out, your muscles get a little bigger, right? So if I do enough squats, my flat, nothing ass will get a little bigger, at least as much as genetics will allow?

What about my stomach? I never have and never will be satisfied with mine, because I have a big ribcage and flat back, and it makes for an ugly-shaped torso. I also have a little slab of fat around my bellybutton, which looks okay on most women but I think it looks stupid on me because of my body shape. And I understand that spot-reducing doesn't exist and even if I had absolutely NO fat on my stomach I'd still think I had a clunky-shaped body. BUT, lately I've noticed that my entire abdomen seems bigger and firmer. It sticks out more. If I flex my muscles and grab the fluff, the same amount that I've always had is there. I'm guessing it can either be more muscle cells, or visceral fat, but either way it's pushing my stomach out and making it look worse.

In the last year I've been working full-time in a nursing home and I do a lot of lifting and pulling people up in bed. I clench my stomach muscles a LOT. My arms and back are definitely stronger. And I think I weigh the same as I did when I started. So it could just be muscle. Anyway, are there any ab exercises I could do that would pull my stomach IN? Or is it a case of "muscle is muscle and working out just makes them bigger no matter what?"

You may find that by taking up dance as a hobby some of that puffiness will subside. Also making sure to stretch the muscles really well or add in a few sets of yoga poses everyday will help keep them from bunching up. Pilates will do wonders for lengthening and strengthening abdominals especially if you add in the breath of fire also may improve posture in case the heavy lifting is making you hunch some. Drinking enough water will help flush out the toxins and just make you feel a lot better. smile.gif
candycane_girl
Hi ladies, I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this but I noticed a few times over in Kvetch Up that some busties mentioned something called Bust the Blubber. Can someone please tell me what that is? Is it a bustie weight loss group that isn't on the boards?
ketto
The last two weeks haven't been fantastic, but not horrible either.

I'm going through some health issues right now and I seem to be sick at least two days a week.

Today it was a lot chillier than it has been so I put on my jeans for the first time in two weeks. I accidentally put on the wrong pair...a pair I haven't worn since the Fall because they were way too tight. And they fit perfectly! Yay! I don't feel like I've lost that much weight but my clothes are telling a different story. I had to have my bridesmaid dress for the wedding I was in taken in quite a bit last week.

It's been 3 workouts a week the last three weeks so I'm hoping to start bumping that up to 5.
konphusion26
I've been "diagnosed" with insulin resistance lately. Has anyone taken Metformin and actually lost weight while using it? My body is so screwed. It seems like I gain more weight each week. The dr's don't know what to do with me. I just hope that if they offer me Metformin that it will actually kick start things and help me lose a lil weight in the process.

Any ideas?

ETA: with all the problems i've been having, I have like zero energy to workout. That's part of the issue. I am eating less and eating healthier. But all of that seems for nothing if I can't work out. It's like a catch 22.
anna k
I eased up on my workouts, and now feel less strong than before, so am working heavy weights back into my routine. I want to be able to do 30 push-ups in a row again without stopping, and can get back into that, as well as feeling stronger and more badass in my own eyes. smile.gif

I hope you feel better, ketto, and congrats on the loose-fitting pants and dress!

The lowest pant size I've worn has been size 8, and now it's been baggier on me, yet I don't feel like I can fit into a size 6 pants. It's just needing to fix the hem of the pants so they don't drag on me.
ketto
I'm still really slacking on the weight and strength training. I should be doing a lot more.

Kon, I think you posted about this in another thread and I may have replied. I've never taken metformin but I know lots of type 2 diabetics who have found it a big help with their weight. I would join some Type 2 forums or insulin resistant forums to get some more specific advice on how it could affect your or what changes you can expect. I belong to the Diabetes community on livejournal and everyone there is really nice and offers great advice.

In terms of working out, i would suggest starting very very slowly with low impact cardio. Go for a 30 minute brisk walk. To 10 minutes of step ups on a step in your house. Dance to loud music really intensely for 10 minutes at a time. Garden. Take a 30 minute bike ride. Jump rope for 10 or 15 minutes.

If you're feeling like it's a big struggle to get started again, then start really slow. You'll probably find after about 3 weeks or regular workouts (3+ times a week) you'll start to have more energy or want to work out more or more intensely.
candycane_girl
I'm feeling really proud of myself because tonight, instead of taking the streetcar I walked home. Normally I always make up some lame excuse to justify taking the TTC but I had an appointment with my doctor and he was telling me that if I'm taking the subway or streetcar, I should just get off a few stops early. So I thought to myself, "Okay, I'll walk two streetcar stops and then I'll get on." But by the time I walked that far I decided to keep going. I mapped it on Google and according to that it was 2.5 km. Not a huge distance but it's a good start for me. smile.gif
p_176
konphusion - i have impaired glucose tolerance as well. i am not on metformin because i get my period, and my sugars (A1C) was not high. a warning - metformin will either make you nauseaus (like throw up), or will make you poop and pee a LOT.
i think metformin is supposed to help you lose weight because as it makes your body use the sugar it's storing, you start burning fat because you're not storing all that sugar as fat. i don't know your situation obviously, but i've had success sticking with a low glycemic index diet, and while i've not lost a ton of weight, i have gained energy because i'm using my sugar properly, not storing it.
good luck!
epinephrine
Hey guys, I don't think I've posted in here before. I've always been a little on the curvy side, and I love curves and I'm fine with that, but I do tend to put on a pound or two a year and I don't wanna wake up one day and realize that I'm obese, so this past year I've taken steps to keep my weight under control.

I started martial arts classes a year ago which have totally changed my life. My weight has stayed pretty much the same, and I haven't dropped any sizes, but I can feel a lot more muscle mass and I'm capable of doing things now that were a major struggle before. It's the best thing I ever did for myself. It's everything - it's physical exercise; it's a social activity; it's practical knowledge that could save your life; it's an art form to learn and perfect. I'd recommend it to anyone. You don't just build muscle in a martial arts class - you build backbone. At my dojo you pay a package price that includes an hour of private lessons a month (or upgrade to 2 hours for an extra $20), where you actually learn the moves and earn your belts, and unlimited group classes, where you exercise, work on technique and do drills. There are 2 group classes a day, in the morning/afternoon and evening, and they vary a lot depending on the instructors and what they feel like doing. Some focus on kenpo, which is a self defense art, and they drill you on those techniques and moves. Others are more into muai thai, or Thai kickboxing. Gropup classes are an hour, and typically start with 20 minutes of fairly strenuous exercise. There's a ton of variety so it never gets boring. They're always introducing new types of crunches, squats, pushups, and other stuff. If the class is small we do a circuit. I like the morning classes best because they're smaller, usually under 10 people, and are always taught by the same instructor, a very energetic young guy who has a system of great, tough workouts. Tuesdays are upper body, Wednesdays are core, Thursdays are legs, Fridays are cardio. After the workout we do a quick stretch and go into technique, which can be just as strenuous, especially in a class that focuses on kickboxing. Sometimes we mix it up with a little sumbission wrestling, too. It's such a fantastic environment - so social and lively and supportive and accepting, but they really encourage you to push it, too. I used to leave with all my muscles quivering and I'd be sore for days. Now I'm so much fitter that I do 2 classes a day if I can, or I go home and work out more after. I love it so, so much.

Unfortunately I'm away from my city and my beloved dojo for a few months, and I've been trying to fill in the gap. I get so bored working out by myself, and I just don't push myself as hard, so I tried working out to DVDs. I was skeptical at first, but I'm really starting to love it now. It's just so bloody convenient, like a class that does housecalls at your leisure. And it's so much more affordable - with a month's membership at my dojo I could buy a whole bunch of workout DVDs. My aunts have several lying around so I've been kind of trying them out just to see what they're all about. I really love this one. It's really challenging, practical and down-to-earth, and all the people on it demonstrate the different modifications of each exercise so you get the most out of it even if you're having difficulties. The whole workout is designed to be done with dumbells or barbells, too, so you can continue to step it up when it gets too easy. I was soooo sore the first few times I did it, but I've been working out to it 2 or 3 times a week for the past 3 weeks and I'm getting used to it now. I'm so pleased - I was doing my hair in front of the mirror today after my shower and I noticed my shoulder muscles bulging. They definitely weren't doing that 2 weeks ago. I'm already seeing results! There are several other DVDs in the series and I'm thinking of buying the 4-pack.

I try to supplement the Ripped workout with some cardio and a more mellow Pilates workout. I'm looking for a better Pilates DVD, though, because the one I have isn't that great. It's just too easy. I went to a Pilates class once and it nearly killed me! I had no idea a move as simple as sitting on the floor with your back straight and your legs straight out in front of you could be so hard.

I'm trying to watch what I eat, too. I eat fruit and carbs for breakfast, and try to stick with veggies and proteins for the rest of the day. I'm not strict about carbs or anything, but if I don't keep an eye on it and consciously steer myself to proteins and veggies I'll just eat pasta and bread all the time and it's not balanced at all. I'm not an out-of-control snacker, and I prefer fresh fruits to sticky sweets, so it's not too bad. The one I have trouble with is liquor. I like having a drink or two at the end of the day, but it's just so fattening. I'm trying to find ways around it so I can have my drink and not get fat. I'm drinking things like vodka with lime, sugarfree cranberry juice and soda. My favourite light, high-protein meal right now is seared tuna steak, tataki style, sliced on a bed of greens, slaw, or sliced veggies with ponzu and sesame oil. It's so simple and healthy. Except for the mercury, I guess.
angie_21
hey epi - I use workout videos too. I know they're not supposed to be all that great because you have no one to spot you, and you won't know if your form is off. But I just do a few of the excercises in front of a mirror if I'm unsure. Nothing beats the convenience and price of a wrokout video, and it's the only way I'll do a real routine at home instead of just 20 situps and a few squats and then calling it a day. My videos are yoga & tai chi for strength, and salsa dance & balance ball routines for cardio. I hate counting reps and doing structured weigh training, so those kind of routines work best for me, but I might look up the video you posted, since it might be easier if someone else is counting the reps for me!
epinephrine
I tried this one last night. It was good - 7 circuits, each run through twice, with combination exercises that work out more than one body part at once (i.e. squats with shoulder presses, lunges with tricep presses) so you can halve the time of your workout. Not nearly as hard as Ripped, but I probably just wasn't doing it right.
sassygrrl
I've been working out to that one the last week. I really like it. I know I should join a gym, but haven't been able to find one I like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.