Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
ketto
On the 19th my brother, some friends, and I are heading out to do this: http://www.mantario.com/

It's a 66km trail that we're doing over 4 days. In preparation I'm going into hardcore workout mode, as best as I can anyway. Paperboy and I didn't do any running or biking on our vacation but we did lots of hiking and walking and I was surprised to see a few more pounds disappeared while we were gone.

I took a couple of days off to relax but since Saturday, I've been doing some good cardio/weight/core workouts. I notice in comparison to a couple of months ago my arms are a fair bit stronger but I'd like to be able to do more than 10 pushups without feeling like they're going to collapse. ;p

For a while I had been complaining on here about a weird shoulder pain that I'd been experiencing since I was 16. I FINALLY got in to see a sports doctor who took an x-ray and we discovered that the bones in my neck have no curve to them. Essentially, my neck is a straight line instead of having that slight curve in the back. So now I'm in physio and i love it. Because of my wonky neck, I've been holding the right side of my body up higher to compensate. My therapist said that my ribs on the right side of my body are way too high and the pain in my shoulder is probably a result of my ribs and lungs sitting so high, so that when I take deep breaths while running everything gets constricted. Anyway, I've seen her 4 times and I can't believe the difference I feel already. She knows exactly where the pain is going to radiate and it's making such a huge difference so quickly. I can run again without pain!

The best part of this diagnosis is that it might explain my TMJ.

I'm so proud of myself for coming back from a 2.5 week vacation and getting right back into activity.
anna k
I am so in awe of you, ketto! You seem so strong and determined, and just amazing. Brava!

and epinephrine, you are badass. There's kickboxing at the gym I go to, and I did it a few times, but didn't want to spend $30 on gloves, so I just use kickboxing DVDs at home (this one, which has more a martial-arts/dance flow to it, and this one, which has more drills and quick movements and repetitions), but it is just a full-body exercise, and you develop so much balance, strength, precision, and awesome core strength, which is what I'm going for these days (through practicing planks and ballet moves and balancing moves). I just feel better when I feel stronger and fitter, and developing these physical abilities.
ketto
Aw, thanks Anna, but I feel the same about you. You're always exploring some cool new workouts or dance classes. I'm thinking I might join a class this winter. I'm determined to keep fit over this winter...something that doesn't usually pan out for me.

Kickboxing sounds really great. A friend of mine does an intense class where you go everyday for two weeks and you get a specific diet to follow. She said she did the diet the first time but doesn't bother now. Might be a good kickstart when the snow starts to fall.
anna k
Tonight I felt good in the gym. I have gotten down some balancing moves with the plank where I can hold my leg in the air for a minute, or lift opposite arm and leg and hold it for 15 seconds, albeit I still wobble a little. I just like to feel strong and more fit, even if I haven't feel as thin as before lately. Though I may compare myself to a gym friend of mine who does kickboxing and is awesome at it, whereas I didn't want to shell out for the gloves but enjoyed trying the class a few times, sparring with partners and feeling very engaged.

In the locker room, I was looking at myself in the mirror, and this woman who I've seen around told me that I shouldn't lose any more weight, that I was already small. It's hard to believe that, because I have a curvy figure and am not super-fit, yet I guess she didn't want me to have bad thoughts. I've lost about 30 lbs from last year, but am more focused on gaining strength through weight lifting and balancing core exercises, and maintaining grace and athleticism through dance. It's all a nice escape for whenever I feel stressed from anxieties.
ketto
*sigh* Looks like I'm out for the Mantario trip. I'm definitely disappointed but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't also a bit relieved. The main reasons for the back out are my uncle, who's probably going to pass away in the next few days. I don't feel comfortable being somewhere when I can't get out for 4 days if he does die. I'm also sick again, of course. Dizzy, nauseous, sore throat, sore ears, and a temperature. Ugh. Sucks.

I'm trying to set something up for next weekend, just a two day 5-10km trip but we'll see.

Wow, anna, 30 pounds, that's great. I'm starting to do more weight and core stuff too. My turbojam dvd has a 40 minute weight workout that I love because you're constantly moving. Feels great.

On Monday I see my endo and the last time I went I weighed 137 pounds, the most I've ever weighed. I was kind of shocked, but I shouldn't have been...many of my favourite clothes weren't fitting. That was in March. I think I've shed about 17-18 pounds since then...I guess I've been losing it so slowly it's hard to even notice. I feel like I have a whole new wardrobe. I keep pulling things out of my drawers that haven't fit in a year.
epinephrine
Aw, Ketto, I'm so sorry about your uncle. Hope you're doing ok and feeling better. (((Ketto)))

I finally got my Ripped 4-pack in the mail, but unfortunately I haven't been able to try 3 of the videos because they require a step, which I don't have, and I don't want to just try to do without and miss out on half the workout. I've not been able to find anything the right height and strength to improvise with yet. But I've been doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, which is great. It's one DVD with 3 25-minute circuit workouts on it, which is so great when I don't feel like committing half my evening to a big long workout. It's fast-paced, which is great, because it keeps your heart rate up the whole time and gives you double the workout you'd get if you took breaks. It's not the kind of workout that you can get really toned on, but it certainly does do a great job of cardio. I guess I'll do Ripped for strength and Jillian for cardio.

I've also got a new job at a health food store that's farther away from my house than my last job, so I'm biking about 9 kilometres a day. The route I take also seems to have the only two hills in all of Saskatchewan, so I'm burning a little extra, and the schedule works really well for structuring my meal and exercise routine. I eat breakfast at about 8:30, usually cornflakes with soymilk and fruit or a banana and some multigrain toast. I take about 15-20 minutes to bike to work, snack on a protein bar if I'm still hungry, and have lunch at about 1. I usually have a tuna sandwich, soup and multigrain bread from the bakery next door, or some random leftovers from home or writeoffs from the staff fridge. I only have half an hour to eat, so I usually don't eat that much because eating fast makes me sick. At 4 or 5 I get a 15-minute break, and I usually have a piece of fruit and an energy bar or something. I've been eating yogurt lately, even though I generally don't eat dairy, because there's always some being pulled from the shelves when it's too close to the expiry date, and it's really good organic yogurt that's just too yummy to resist when it's just sitting there for the taking. It's a little higher in calories than I'd like, but I'm hoping the protein and probiotic content balances that out a bit. I bike home at 6, do a 25 minute workout if I'm in the mood, and eat something really light for dinner. If I'm really hungry I'll eat something high in protein, like a protein shake or tuna salad or a couple boiled eggs or a veggie sausage, but usually I'm still strangely full from my afternoon snack, so I just have a salad with balsamic and olive oil and munch on carrot sticks all evening.

My store also has a large supplement section, and I'm learning a lot about health supplements. I'm thinking about investing in some spirulina, which is supposed to contain large quantities of complete, low-acid protein that is better for your body than animal proteins. When I used to work double shifts every week I'd always stop at a juice bar and have a spirulina shake between shifts, and it'd give me a noticeable boost. It's expensive stuff, but I'll do some price comparison and figure something out, and let you guys know how it goes. Anyone else here tried it?
candycane_girl
(((ketto)))

Hi ladies. I've come to the conclusion that I'm hypoglycemic. I find that if I don't eat every two hours or so I can find myself going from fine to feeling like I'm starving and becoming shaky and feeling faint. I even measured my blood glucose on one of these occasions and it had dropped to 3.7 (I don't know what the American equivalent is). Anyway, on that end I've decided to that from now on I'm going to bring snacks to school. So far these are the things I'm thinking of bringing:

-grapes
-apple slices
-cheese and crackers
-peanut butter and crackers
-celery and carrot sticks
-cucumber slices
-almonds

Can anyone think of any other good snacks? I'm really hoping that by eating small amounts of food less often that I'll be better able to lose weight. When I get to that extremely hungry point I end up wanting to scarf down an entire pizza rather than just stopping at a normal amount. If I eat a lot of food then I can stay full longer but I don't want to be uncomfortably full all the time.
culturehandy
OJ is good when you have low blood sugar.
candycane_girl
I know it's good in the moment when blood sugar drops but I figure that by eating smaller amounts more often that I will prevent my blood sugar from plummeting in the first place.
ketto
Those mini pita's with different kind of fillings are always good. When i was a kid my mom used to put cheese and pizza sauce inside and make little pizza pockets.
I also loved dried fruit, apricots, cranberries, stuff like that.

Celery, carrots, cucumber, and almonds actually won't affect your bloodsugar at all because none of them have any significant amount of carbohydrates. They're considered "free foods" among diabetics.
epinephrine
I went to school with a guy who was hypoglycemic. He always had apples, cookies and chips for snacks, along with his lunch. I've heard protein is also important in balancing blood sugar, though I don't know how it works. Granola bars, healthy seed-and-nut cookies, hummus and pita, fruits, chocolate milk...I'm eating a lot of Clif bars these days. They're made with all-natural ingredients and contain 250 calories and 12 grams of protein, making them a really good balance of carbs and protein. They provide both short-term and long-term fuel, they're ok-tasting and quite filling, and they're under three dollars. 250 calories sounds like a lot - and it is - but it's less than a regular candy bar, and it's worth it.

I've been making these great protein shakes that I really love. A banana (100 calories), a scoop of vanilla protein powder (118), a cup of unsweetened almond milk (40), two tbsp cocoa powder (25-30), a scoop of Greens+, and a few ice cubes. That's been my after work, post-workout dinner lately.

Just weighed myself and realized I've lost about ten pounds in the past 3 months! And that's including all the muscle I've gained from steady weight training. I haven't even really been dieting - I've just been eating healthy food (often very fattening healthy food) and exercising. It's been so gradual I don't really even see a difference, but I've been told I look more toned. My clothes aren't falling off or anything, so I don't feel any smaller, but I do think I look good. I'm very sturdy and big-boned, and I don't think I carry my weight like others do. I'd have to loose an unhealthy amount of weight to look "thin."
p_176
250 calories is a great snack, it's not a full meal - that's probably closer to 300-400 calories.
anna k
Congratulations epinephrine! You sound like you're taking great care of yourself, and feeling really healthy and good. Your shakes sound delicious!

And your gained muscle makes for a toned and fit shape, that even if you don't lose a lot of weight, your clothes fit better and you have a nicely proportioned figure. I am so proud of you!

I felt really good in my past exercise classes this week. In dance class, we did an acrobatic move that was pretty much like a cartwheel and landing with a bent leg to the side, and when I practiced it, the teacher was very complimentary, and I was unaware she was watching me. I felt great about being able to get it right and do it fluidly. And in the strength class after it, the teacher does a thing when he tests our resistance and strength by having us squat against a wall with our arms out and hands together, and he would push down on our hands while we pushed up to resist his strength. As I did it, I could push his hands up, and he was surprised and said he was impressed with my strength. I felt he was going a little easy on me, but was happy nevertheless.
jami
<sigh> hate to bust in here... any natural helps for low thyroid? I don't wanna be on Synthroid for the rest of my life. there has to be something else besides helping pharmaceutical companies.
p_176
i'm having a hard time getting over the Coca Cola addiction. It's not the caffeine - I can drink tea for my caffeine, but I either like the taste of Coca Cola, or I associate it when I was younger and did not have to worry about my sugar levels. Also, when I drink soda, my sugar does not spike (at least not when I check my sugar an hour later). Any ideas on how to stay strong, and away from soda, especially when it's SO accessible?
mumblestutter
I also drink entirely too much soda... but usually of the sugar free variety (yeah, i know i'm infusing my body with chemicals that will make it non-biodegradable and extremely flammable). More than anything, it just seems like a huge money sink to me. Water works the same and is free, but i got this need for fizzy liquids! Sometimes I drink less if push myself to drink hot tea or crystal-lite type drinks. Club soda is something i really enjoy that seems healthier.

Even though the price is exorbitant to buy single sodas, I've started going that route. If I stock up & buy a 12 pack at the store, I'll drink 3-4 a day. And when I drink that many, I get really addicted, crave the stuff all the time. But if I just buy singles, I just end up having one every day or two. I think the price ends up about the same but it seems to lower my intake of crap.
p_176
hmmm. i like the idea of club soda or flavored fizzy water....i'll need to pick some up tomorrow. i definitely have not been treating my body well the last 2 weeks, and now i crave salt and carbs. definitely need to take a day, eat a lot of salad and water to clean out my system so the cravings stop.
epinephrine
Oohh, I love club soda. Really cold club soda with lime juice is a great alternative to sugary soft drinks, and it's actually hydrating. There are also soft drinks made entirely from natural, unsweetened fruit juices and sparkling water. They average about 90 calories per can/bottle, whereas most pop is 150 or more. There's one we sell at my work called Fizzy Lizzy that's just grapefruit juice and soda, and it's fucking awesome.

I had a bad cold last week and then a really good friend came to visit for a few days before moving to the other side of the country, and it took several days to recover from that, so I haven't worked out in a week and a half. And it doesn't help that we binged on junk food for the whole visit, either. I've just been trying to eat really healthy for the past few days to cleanse all the crap out of my system. It was all health food store junk food, though - organic rice chips, natural coconut milk ice cream, superfood softdrinks, wheatfree cookies and the like. That stuff is all so deceptive, though. All the "health" stuff is just marketing. Tasty marketing, but marketing nonetheless. The coconut milk ice cream is really awesome, though, and lower in calories than you'd think - 160 per 175 ml serving. I still have half a tub in my freezer that I"m trying to stay away from. I did check out a drop-in fitness yoga class at my local rec centre, though. I've never really been to a yoga class before, and I really enjoyed it. It was harder than I expected, and I think I'll be sore tomorrow. It's really nice to work out with people again, too. I missed that. I'll definitely be going back.

I've been trying to broaden my lean-protein horizons. I rely really heavily on canned tuna, boiled eggs, and protein shakes made with processed proteins, and I know I could use some healthier sources. I was shocked to discover that veggie sausages (the yummy Tofurkey brand, anyway) pack 270 calories each, making them not such a lean protein, (though I don't remember how much protein was in them). Yves Jumbo Veggie Dogs are pretty good, though - 90 calories and 15g of protein, almost as lean as tuna.
pepper
hey P_176, did you know that the flavouring in coca cola includes tamarind? You can buy a paste and sometimes a liquid extract at some healthfood or exotic food stores. Add a bit and some stevia as sweetner to club soda for a coca cola-ish drink.
Tamarind is so num, I love it so...

Jami, here is an amazing story about a total thyroid heal with raw foods. This is not the first story of this sort I have read about with this diet. It can be hard to do at the start but once you get into it it's easy and wonderful. Give it a try if you're really serious about a natural alternative to the Synthroid. Best of luck.
jami
thanks Pepper!!!
I have bookmarked the page, and I'm off to read it now!!
yea!
ketto
I've been bad the last week and a half too. First I was sick and then i had some intensive workshops last week. I'm trying to get my ass in gear this week because I know winter is going to be here before I know it and it's a lot harder for me to start a workout routine in winter than it is to just keep one up.
anna k
Yesterday I tried a capoeira class for the first time. I had wanted to try it because I've been taking dance classes for a long time and I love the acrobatic grace of martial arts, particularly in capoeira, and wanted to challenge myself. It went pretty well. Despite being a newbie and not getting all the balance or coordination, I could do some of the moves (it was a beginner's class), and it had a playful, flowing feel to it that felt really fun to do. You feel so much in your legs, as you do a lot of bent-leg moves, and use your stomach for some balancing moves or move with more ease on the floor. I wish my legs could feel more straighter or flexible in some of the roundhouse kicks, but I felt I could adapt with some comfort, thanks to my dance teacher teaching us a lot of floor moves and quick manuevers.

Recently, I've noticed more strength in my back and stomach, probably a lot from doing push-ups. I still have bad habits of eating candy, but generally my diet is pretty healthy, with eggs, fruit, veggies, meat, and yogurt, and I like working on feeling stronger and fitting well in my clothes.
p_176
yay - i've been able to exercise!! and i finally have a dr who agrees that i'm overweight, so she's actually trying to help! this weekend i've been good at not having soda and not overeating. hopefully i can keep it up at work; sometimes i get bored or soemthing and run for the soda machine. i'm taking more healthy snacks to work to prevent this.
epinephrine
Well, after months and months of healthy eating and regular exercise, I'm actually seeing results. Sometimes you just don't see them until you put on some clothes you haven't worn in ages. When I'm not wearing my work clothes or workout clothes, I usually wear the same stretch-denim skirt all the time, because I'm always biking everywhere and it's the only skirt I have that's heavy enough to stay put and not fly up around my hips. It's fitting about the same as it always has, with the usual fluctuations due to washing and wearing, so I didn't really notice any difference in my size. But it's laundry day so I had to wear my old corduroy skirt today, which I haven't worn in months, and it's quite loose on me now. It was always a perfect fit, didn't ride up and didn't fall down, and now I can pull it off without even undoing the button. I have a bunch of other items in storage that didn't fit when I left - maybe they'll fit me now!

I'm loving my new yoga class, and I've been pretty good about working out this week. I bike about 10 km a day, including a few hills, and will do up to 20 on my day off when I bike into town, so I usually only work out 3 or 4 times a week. I really wanna build up my shoulders so I can look like an hourglass instead of a pear, so I'm gonna look into a good upper-body workout.

Oh, and I checked again on the Tofurky veggie sausages - turns out they've got 29 grams of protein each, which is actually really good. Way better than your average protein bar, which has 300 calories and only 20 grams of protein. Still not as lean as the veggie dogs, but veggie dogs are gross anyway. They do pack a ton of salt, though - one sausage has 25% of your recommended daily intake.

Anna_k, congrats on the capoeira! I've always wanted to try it. They even had a capoeira routine on SYTYCDCanada this year. If you wanna try a really fun type of dance that'll give you a serious workout, you should try African or Afro-Carribean. It's absolutely frantic - the goal of the dance appears to be to keep your feet off the floor for as much time as possible. And pretty much all classes use live drummers, which really adds to the energy. I stumbled across a really amazing informal Afro-Carribean dance class a few years back that totally changed my life. It's the type of dance you can really lose yourself in, when you're just dancing so hard and pushing yourself to go higher and faster and you know you're supposed to be tired but you just can't stop and you realize you've completely lost control and you're like a dancing puppet...I've been dying to find another class - maybe I'll find one when I go back home in 2 weeks!
foryoursplendor
That is good to know about the tofurky, epinephrine. I'll be getting some of that.

I'm joining weight watchers today. I joined a few years ago and lost a lot of weight, I figured it was time to go back. The only problem I ever had with their program is that they don't have a plan for vegetarians. I've been vegetarian for 14 years, so it would be very difficult for me to start eating meat again. I struggle with getting enough protein in order to feel full until my next meal.

We'll see how it goes!
epinephrine
The thing with vegetarian proteins is that, with the exception of beans, they tend to be a lot less lean. Nuts and seeds have a lot of protein, but they have almost as much fat. I was vegan for 9 years and I always thought I had enough protein. Now I know I probably didn't. But I think WW is more concerned with the ratio of fat to fibre in food, which probably makes it a lot easier. My aunts are both on WW now and I'm finding the vegetarian foods are way lower in points. Maybe you'll just have to settle for protein shakes. It's not the best, but it gets the job done.
anna k
epinethrine, that sounds great about the Afro-Caribbean dance! I don't know if I could handle it at that speed, but it sounds like a lot of fun. I love powerful drums in music, it really moves me more.

Doing push-ups really worked my back and shoulders, especially adjusting your arms and hands in different spots. I actually like doing push-ups, it's one of the things that has been a big physical benefit to getting stronger and more fit.

I gained a little fat in my belly, mostly from eating Milk Duds more frequently. I love chocolate, but it's better to eat dark chocolate than the cheap crappy stuff, and the junk candy makes me feel heavier and sluggish. It can be annoying because I feel like my stomach is stronger and more fit, able to do more balance/strength moves, then I get into a bad habit of eating candy. I maintained eating healthy food today (fruits, veggies, eggs, tofu) and doing a kickboxing DVD, but I get hard on myself whenever I feel physically crappy
LadyLove
I'm on a diet too. Lost 20 pounds a few years ago and then gained it all back. Trying to lose it all again before the holidays. Been two months and lost 8 pounds so far. Wish it'd go faster. Thus, I digress . . . haven't been to the market in weeks. Too busy. LOL! Got desperate for a sugar fix so I ate one of the snacks I bought for my kids. Those Fruit Chillers. They're room temperature and then you freeze them so they're like a popsicle, only healthy. Anyways, they're actually really good. Hit the spot, and fat free and 55 calories. . . And to make it even better, I found coupons online - http://bit.ly/13Hrmq
candycane_girl
epi, I would have expected vegetarian sources of proteins to have less fat. I mean, as a meat eater most of my protein comes from animals which tend to have a higher fat content (especially beef). I did WW for a year in high school and I couldn't seem to lose more than 5 pounds. But at least they put a focus on fibre, I think that's a really positive thing.
koffeewitch
As a long time vegetarian, I'm biased as hell on this issue...but I never worried about the Omega 3 fatty acids and the fats that come from nuts and seeds the way I worried about the saturated fats that come in cheeses. I also never felt my protein was inadequate as long as I was eating whole grains and legumes. (Real 100% whole grains, not the kind that Kellog's claims it's cereals are made from). As a vegetarian, I do make sure to look for sources of B12 and I do look to combine iron-rich foods with an acid to increase their absorption rate into my body.

I also haven't had to worry about my weight as long as I was eating whole foods and staying away from things that come in cans and boxes. (ANd believe me, I'm not one of these naturally skinny girls who never gain weight)! I love yummy baked goods...I just try and make them with good, quality flour and organic ingredients. Trouble sets in when I grab the shit in grocery stores masquerading itself as food. I tried to buy apple sauce the other day and was furious to find every jar had 4-5 kinds of sugars listed on the label! Finally I found a jar that had real fucking apples in it without the additives, but it was like an archeology expedition. THIS is the reason we get fat (and unhealthy).
spot-on
Koffeewitch has nailed it, but I pretty much eat natural foods close to their natural state. Lots of salads, lots of veggies, almost no processed foods and if I do eat processed I check to get the best possible ones. Fat is NOT the enemy. Eating fat WILL NOT make you fat. It's simple basic science, if calories in are less than calories out then you'll lose weight. Unfortunately the western world has lost the ability to eat a portion, and I bet most of us unless we've sat down and weighed a portion out would be shocked at how little portion sizes really are.

If anyone wants any help, I am a certified fitness instructor and personal trainer. Here if you need me smile.gif
sassygrrl
I've lost another 5 pounds! I've just continued eating healthy, and starting to go vegetarian once a week. I've also upped the water, and tried to stay away from processed food as much as I can. I still go out about once a week but true to eat healthy when I'm eating out at a restaurant. I'm also restricting my portion sizes but eating on smaller plates and using a food scale. I'm still also doing cardio 3-5 times a week. If I do eat sweets (and I do), I try to go for really dark chocolate or some good organic frozen yogurt.

Everybody good work!

p_176
i'm being inspired by folks here. i lost a few pounds after my sinus surgery by drinking more water and not drinking soda. i'm back to having sodas again so i bought more fizzy water so i'd have that instead. i messed up my shoulder a few weeks ago, so that's slowing down my exercise but i can still do cardio. i'm frustrated with my pcos. the dr wants to put me back on metformin, which makes you so sick. i mean, it's really easy to lose weight when the medicine you're on makes you hurl :-/ and if you're not digesting anything, of *course* your blood sugar goes down :-/ is there a natural/alternative version of metformin? exercise is not enough to help me lose weight. <sigh>
Lunalu
p_176,

I've been dealing with insulin issues for over 9 months now, and thought about going on metformin. But my naturapath was opposed to it, and so she suggested i take herbal remedies. so I've been using Gymnema capsules just before lunch and dinner, and it seems like my fasting insulin values went down from 99 to 82 in the last 2 months (but I'm both exercising regularly, and cut down on carbs a lot).
You can find gymnema in health stores. I also read / saw that cinnamon tablets help with sugar regulation, but i havent tried that since Gymnema seems to be working for me.

I hope this helps.

QUOTE(p_176 @ Oct 19 2009, 04:10 PM) *
i'm being inspired by folks here. i lost a few pounds after my sinus surgery by drinking more water and not drinking soda. i'm back to having sodas again so i bought more fizzy water so i'd have that instead. i messed up my shoulder a few weeks ago, so that's slowing down my exercise but i can still do cardio. i'm frustrated with my pcos. the dr wants to put me back on metformin, which makes you so sick. i mean, it's really easy to lose weight when the medicine you're on makes you hurl :-/ and if you're not digesting anything, of *course* your blood sugar goes down :-/ is there a natural/alternative version of metformin? exercise is not enough to help me lose weight. <sigh>

ketto
It's hard to get as motivated to exercise when I'm so exhausted lately. Paperboy and I are moving and we're going to be within walking distance of the Y I go to. I'm excited about that. It's about halfway between our new home and my office so it's perfect.

Tonight I start playing indoor soccer again. It's been over a year and a half since I've been on the field and I'm actually really excited to play tonight. Speaking of bloodsugar issues (but mostly unrelated because I have type 1 diabetes), adrenaline before a soccer game is a really big issue for me and I'm getting nervous about it for tonight. The adrenaline causes my bloodsugar to skyrocket to around 22-30mmol and then about 3 hours after the game I bottom out around 2.0. It's so frustrating and I can't seem to get any control of it. I already have butterflies so I'm thinking it'll be pretty high by the time the game begins at 6:30 tonight.
p_176
i will ask my dr about alternatives like the one you mentioned. i've taken cinnamon and seen some minor results from it.

i've started exercising regularly again, after my sinus surgery; but before the surgery, i was exercising as well (i've had a lag from july until october 1), but no matter how much i exercised or watched what i ate, i did not lose weight; my blood sugar stayed around the same numbers (I have not gotten it often below 100), and my blood pressure stayed the same. (this is part of the reason it's hard for me to stop drinking soda completely, though i know that soda kills you).

i don't know what else to do.
spot-on
p_176 why not write out your daily eating plan here, and we'll see how we can help to tweak it?

Remember to lose 1lb a week you need a 500 calorie deficit daily. Unfortunately eating too little means you won't lose weight either as you go into starvation mode. Just a small deficit each day, slow and steady weight loss remember!
p_176
ok.....

so, according to various calculations i have done, because i am 5'0 and 165, to MAINTAIN, i need to eat 3,000 calories (this includes exercise level). to lose weight, i need to eat around 2,000. i've had my resting metabolic rate measured, and that came in at 1,700 calories. over the last year, i've eaten from a range of 1,200 to 2,000 calories per day. i have gained and lost the same 5lbs over and over.

i won't waste space giving a you a daily write-up, but here's the gist:
breakfast: either cold or hot oatmeal-based cereal with 2% milk; green tea
lunch: sandwich, fruit cup/apple sauce, green tea/water
dinner: 4oz protein, 1pc carb (30g carb), 1.5cup veggies, water.

i am not sure how many calories it is.....
p_176
oh - and i used olive oil spray, not olive oil, to cook food in. i use seasonings not like, salad dressing, to season food and salad. i've cut back on soda intake, so i only have 1-2 sodas per week (if even that), and i've cut back on alcohol intake, so instead of splitting a bottle of wine with my guy, we each only have one glass ,then keep the rest for the next day - IF we even have wine with dinner.
spot-on
How much exercise are you doing? Do you know how many cals you are burning (heart rate monitor or online calculation DO NOT rely on cardio machine input)? I plugged in your stats and to maintain I got 2000 cals, then adding in exercise daily (averaging 500 cals an hour a day, unless your doing some serious training?) I'd say more like 2500 to maintain. Let me know your exercise plan, we can work on a cal goal from there.

I'd say emphatically that you aren't eating enough, especially enough protein. Sounds like you are eating very little indeed, unless you're having someting REALLY good in that sandwich, lol. Think of your body like a machine, you gotta feed it, good and healthy foods! As an example at 5'4" and 125lbs I need 1800 cals to maintain, plus I workout for 60-90 mins a day burning around 500 cals a time. I eat 5x a day as follows

breakfast: cold cereal, milk, flax meal, 1/2 banana & glass of OJ
mid morning post workout: Protein Smoothie (1/2 banana, some strawberries, protein powder, water)
Lunch: Something carby like pasta, with marinara sauce, protein would be some low fat sausage/chicken, then loads of salad veggies. Sometimes a sprinkle of cheese on top smile.gif
mid afternoon: fruit with natural fat free greek yogurt, with serving of chopped nuts
Dinner: Something high protein low carb. Maybe a omlette with salad veggies, serving of salad dressing.

That works out around 1700-1800 cals on an average day, and a whole lot more food than you seem to be eating. I also snack on nuts throughout the day as and when I need them.

QUOTE(p_176 @ Oct 21 2009, 09:44 AM) *
ok.....

so, according to various calculations i have done, because i am 5'0 and 165, to MAINTAIN, i need to eat 3,000 calories (this includes exercise level). to lose weight, i need to eat around 2,000. i've had my resting metabolic rate measured, and that came in at 1,700 calories. over the last year, i've eaten from a range of 1,200 to 2,000 calories per day. i have gained and lost the same 5lbs over and over.
i won't waste space giving a you a daily write-up, but here's the gist:
breakfast: either cold or hot oatmeal-based cereal with 2% milk; green tea
lunch: sandwich, fruit cup/apple sauce, green tea/water
dinner: 4oz protein, 1pc carb (30g carb), 1.5cup veggies, water.

i am not sure how many calories it is.....

anna k
I agree spot-on. I often like eating brown rice (in wraps and rice cakes and rice), eggs, avocado, nuts, fruit, veggies, yogurt, chicken, turkey, and all of that protein and healthy carbs during the day, staying strong with healthy fats and protein. It keeps me in good shape while exercising, and makes me feel stronger to lift heavy boxes or do difficult dance moves while in class.

Congratulations sassygrrl! It sounds like you've been doing so well lately!

spot-on, you sound so awesome, I admire you so much.

For the past two weeks, I've been thinking about my sister. She has a genetic predisposition to hair loss, and her hair has thinned over the past 11 years (she's 28 now). I feel like it's really traumatic and sad, since she's tried conventional medications that didn't work, and usually wears a headband to hide her part. But despite that it is thinning in parts, she doesn't have any bald spots or noticeable hair loss except for her part, and I barely thought about it until she called me freaking out about it.

She may have a disposition towards it, but it also frustrates me because she used to be anorexic as a teenager, and has bulimia, and has messed up her body and weight. She used to weigh nearly 300 lbs, and lost about 120 pounds or so in about a year and a half, and looked healthier and happier. But she returns to bingeing on junk food, in between eating in a healthy manner, and I feel like her eating habits and stress exaberated her problem. At times, whenever she does get well, she tends to return to a state of victimizing herself, of keeping herself depressed or down. She can act like a teenager at nearly 30, and it gets really old and childish, and makes me want to yell at her.

I also felt guilty because after she told me, I felt scared for her, and felt bad that my hair is healthy, or that I'm in good physical shape because I exercise and have a healthy diet, and she doesn't, and can use her problems like a crutch. She's seen doctors, has had therapy, went to two weight loss clinics and did their programs, and is going to see a holistic doctor who can work on her body as well as her hair.
ketto
Anna, that's too bad about your sister. It sounds like she expects a "miracle cure" to fix the problems she perceives she has, when really it's so much healthier to go about things the way you are. Hopefully she'll find what she's looking for.

p_176, I have to agree with spot-on that if that's what you usually eat in a day, it doesn't seem like much. The meals your eating seem decent enough, but I know that most doctors suggest 5 or 6 small meals a day to keep you going with the necessary nutrients, protein, etc. I've only been exercising 2-3 times a week lately, but my days tend to look more like this:

Breakfast: smoothie (1/2 banana, 1/3 cup almond milk, 3/4 cup various berries), two pieces of gluten free toast with butter.
Snack: apple with almonds or banana with peanut butter, something like that.
Lunch: Tuna salad with romaine lettuce, 1 piece gluten free toast with butter, 1 apple.
Snack: Nuts or fruit or veggies, whatever is handy.
Dinner: Usually some kind of meat, dark green veggies, and sometimes rice, but often I find piling on the veggies is enough. And then usually fruit or something sweet for dessert.
If I feel like snacking after dinner I try to keep it to something small but I'm really trying to cut down on snacking before bed.

I started in March at around 135 and now I'm about 115-120, at 4'11. I don't know exactly how many calories I get a day, but I feel nourished and a lot more energetic especially near the end of summer.
p_176
hmm. i have the abs diet book at home, and it advocates drinking whey protein shakes as a snack. i'm not a big milk drinker but i guess i will try....

my follow up question is: a few years ago, I did Weight Watchers. I followed the WW point system with minimal cheating; I stopped drinking soda and alcohol 100%, and I started exercising every single day for 1 hour. I gained 10lbs. I do not understand this, as when my friends have stopped drinking soda or cut back on alcohol, they lose weight quickly. I donít understand what is wrong with how my body is processing things.
spot-on
No idea on the abs diet book? Protein shakes are a great "snack" meal or breakfast alternative for those not able to eat breakfast.

As for your second question. Everyones metabolism is different. Stop comparing yourself to other people. You can only know your own goals and your own successes. Nothing is wrong with your body processing things, sounds to me like you are ate too little and your body is in starvation mode and this takes a while to get out of and you may initially put on a few lbs while your metabolism kicks into gear. Whacked out metabolism is one of the hardest things to get back on track. Even eating the correct amount for gradual weight loss is a finicky thing. Too much sodium and you gain water weight. Too little protein you'll lose muscle mass.

Instead of focusing on numbers on the scale maybe you should concentrate more on measurements? Like waist/hips or body fat %. I'd advise that to all my clients over weight scale numbers anyday!

QUOTE(p_176 @ Oct 22 2009, 10:35 AM) *
hmm. i have the abs diet book at home, and it advocates drinking whey protein shakes as a snack. i'm not a big milk drinker but i guess i will try....
my follow up question is: a few years ago, I did Weight Watchers. I followed the WW point system with minimal cheating; I stopped drinking soda and alcohol 100%, and I started exercising every single day for 1 hour. I gained 10lbs. I do not understand this, as when my friends have stopped drinking soda or cut back on alcohol, they lose weight quickly. I donít understand what is wrong with how my body is processing things.

spot-on
Thanks Anna, you sound like so much like me in your active lifestyle and healthful eating! I love me some real food anyday over processed foods. I tell people to stop buying things in packets, and if it has more than 5-10 ingredients don't eat it! I splurge occasionally, but most often I make healthy choices. Yesterday I ate a delicious buttery indian dish that was totally NOT on my diet plan for the week, but it was an awesome treat smile.gif

Hair loss is associated with eating disorders so I don't doubt for a second that it was aggrecated by her previous anorexia. The effects of anorexia both physcial and emotional last for a lifetime. It's like Alcohols in that respect, every day is a new day. It's ok to feel sorrow, and scared for her health but don't feel guilty! You are healthy etc but you worked to get there. Whilst I can appreciate you feel sad for your sister, you chose a healthy/natural route and there is NOTHING to be guilty about that! I admire you so much for it!

I have a genetic disease that means eventually I may end up on dialysis in the future. I had two choices, continue with my life as it was and risk the disease taking over my life, or fighting. I chose to make myself as healthy as I could. Then I KNOW that anything that happens in the future isn't down to anything I chose to ignore, kwim. Everything that happens hereon out is down to luck. If I have my way I will never be on dialysis, or I just may be genetically unlucky and end up with kidney failure, but I'll know I did my best to stave that off by making myself as healthy as I could. We make our own decisions, you didn't force your sister down the ED path she chose, and genetics are just murphys law so stop blaming yourself

{{{HUGS}}}

QUOTE(anna k @ Oct 22 2009, 08:11 AM) *
I agree spot-on. I often like eating brown rice (in wraps and rice cakes and rice), eggs, avocado, nuts, fruit, veggies, yogurt, chicken, turkey, and all of that protein and healthy carbs during the day, staying strong with healthy fats and protein. It keeps me in good shape while exercising, and makes me feel stronger to lift heavy boxes or do difficult dance moves while in class.

spot-on, you sound so awesome, I admire you so much.

For the past two weeks, I've been thinking about my sister. She has a genetic predisposition to hair loss, and her hair has thinned over the past 11 years (she's 28 now). I feel like it's really traumatic and sad, since she's tried conventional medications that didn't work, and usually wears a headband to hide her part. But despite that it is thinning in parts, she doesn't have any bald spots or noticeable hair loss except for her part, and I barely thought about it until she called me freaking out about it.

She may have a disposition towards it, but it also frustrates me because she used to be anorexic as a teenager, and has bulimia, and has messed up her body and weight. She used to weigh nearly 300 lbs, and lost about 120 pounds or so in about a year and a half, and looked healthier and happier. But she returns to bingeing on junk food, in between eating in a healthy manner, and I feel like her eating habits and stress exaberated her problem. At times, whenever she does get well, she tends to return to a state of victimizing herself, of keeping herself depressed or down. She can act like a teenager at nearly 30, and it gets really old and childish, and makes me want to yell at her.

I also felt guilty because after she told me, I felt scared for her, and felt bad that my hair is healthy, or that I'm in good physical shape because I exercise and have a healthy diet, and she doesn't, and can use her problems like a crutch. She's seen doctors, has had therapy, went to two weight loss clinics and did their programs, and is going to see a holistic doctor who can work on her body as well as her hair.

p_176
spot-on, i'm convinced something is wrong with the way my body is. no matter how much i exercise and eat right, the measurements don't change, nor do the numbers.
spot-on
I'll say this, the number of people with medical problems which means that weight loss is tough is extremely low. If you truly believe you have a medical issue, then go get it checked out. At least for your own piece of mind.

QUOTE(p_176 @ Oct 22 2009, 03:41 PM) *
spot-on, i'm convinced something is wrong with the way my body is. no matter how much i exercise and eat right, the measurements don't change, nor do the numbers.

p_176
spot-on - i've been diagnosed with PCOS, which in order to get hormones back in balance, you have to lose weight, but pcos makes it hard to lose weight. i'm supposedly pre-diabetic but my blood sugar stays in the same range; i can't get it below 100.

it's hard for me to get help from my drs because they either think i'm cheating on the 'diet', either spending too much time or not enough time on exercise. i'm more than 50lbs overweight, and my now former dr said i was not overweight.
p_176
i know, and i apologize in advance, that i sound cranky. on top of it all, i'm pms-ing which means i've gone up a size in just water weight. i've taken spironolactalone as well as OTC pms drugs. nothing works.
spot-on
ok now that helps some. We're going to need to know exactly what you're eating rather than a brief synopsis to help diet wise. If you haven't read anything about the Glycemic Index I'd advise reading up on some books with that. The Glycemic index is a great diet for diabetics and pre-diabetics and helps regulate blood sugar.

Also it would be helpful to know what kind of exercise you are doing, what intensity and for how long?

As an aside, if anyone is interested in tracking calories/exercise www.livestrong.com is a great site for helping with that.

QUOTE(p_176 @ Oct 23 2009, 04:39 AM) *
spot-on - i've been diagnosed with PCOS, which in order to get hormones back in balance, you have to lose weight, but pcos makes it hard to lose weight. i'm supposedly pre-diabetic but my blood sugar stays in the same range; i can't get it below 100.

it's hard for me to get help from my drs because they either think i'm cheating on the 'diet', either spending too much time or not enough time on exercise. i'm more than 50lbs overweight, and my now former dr said i was not overweight.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.