Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
spot-on
No problem I know it must be frustrating. As for the PMS, I was diagnosed two years ago with PMDD which is severe PMS. The dr's solution was to put me on prozac but I declined. Instead I found a great site online called cyclediet.com which basically advocates changing your diet to natural healthy foods, with some essential fatty acids etc to counter the effects. Since changing a few things (adding flax meal to my daily diet especially helped) I've noticed a significant difference, maybe check it out see if you can get some ideas?

QUOTE(p_176 @ Oct 23 2009, 04:41 AM) *
i know, and i apologize in advance, that i sound cranky. on top of it all, i'm pms-ing which means i've gone up a size in just water weight. i've taken spironolactalone as well as OTC pms drugs. nothing works.

p_176
oh dear - i've been on this roller coaster for the last 2 years now, with NO results. low glycemic eating, exercising for an hour a day (how do you measure intensity?)......no changes in blood sugar, blood pressure, weight or inches. like i said, when i stopped drinking soda and alcohol and started working out all the time, i gained weight. i don't know what else to look for that's wrong. the only 'positive' change is that the dr found a vitamin D deficiency, so i'm taking supplements (2,000mg a day) and so i have slightly more energy. i think the only way my weight will go down is if i stop eating, and i think my health will only get better when i'm dead.
spot-on
Again, you say you work out an hour a day but not specifically what you are doing? Are you working out every day? Cardio (if so what type? duration/distance), weights? Again if you are doing weights what kind what weights?

Like I said in my previous post, I can almost guarantee you aren't eating enough, and your metabolism is screwed up because of it, that's the problem yo-yo dieters have. Metabolism takes a while to get back on track but once you start eating correctly so don't be surprised if you put on 5-10lbs in the interim. Once you are on the right track you can adjust your calories from there.

Remember that if you THINK negatively your body will react likewise. If I were your trainer I'd probably advise some yoga to retrain your thinking and gain some self acceptance. You have to love what you have right now, cos all we have is right now! Sure we can plan on the future, but my advice is to be happy NOW rather than living for the future!

QUOTE(p_176 @ Oct 23 2009, 09:25 AM) *
oh dear - i've been on this roller coaster for the last 2 years now, with NO results. low glycemic eating, exercising for an hour a day (how do you measure intensity?)......no changes in blood sugar, blood pressure, weight or inches. like i said, when i stopped drinking soda and alcohol and started working out all the time, i gained weight. i don't know what else to look for that's wrong. the only 'positive' change is that the dr found a vitamin D deficiency, so i'm taking supplements (2,000mg a day) and so i have slightly more energy. i think the only way my weight will go down is if i stop eating, and i think my health will only get better when i'm dead.

p_176
when i used to live at my other house (until end of june), i walked to work - 2 miles per day 40 minutes total, plus stretching, 20 minutes.
in the evenings i'd do another 45 minutes - Body Sculpt with Gilad, or get on my NordicTrack.
that equals around 90 minutes, plus stretching, which i was told was too much exercise.
from july through the end of september, i had really bad sinus problems so did not exercise at all, since i could not breathe.
since then, i've concentrated on doing aerobics and Body Scuplt with Gilad (circuit training).
i can't afford to gain more weight. i don't lift heavy weights because of the pcos - i get big like a guy - i'm trying to do what i can to burn fat.
from march until july, i saw a R.D. who had me on 1400 cal per day, and then the RMR came back at 2000. neither of those calorie amounts got me to lose weight, and with 2000 cal per day, i feel stuffed.
i have to lose weight if i'm ever going to get pregnant, and i'm not going to have a baby at 40. i simply cannot accept the way i look now, especially when EVERYONE either verbally or nonverbally tells me i am fat and ugly - it's true. at 5'0, i should weigh 100lbs not 165, going on 175.
spot-on
QUOTE(p_176 @ Oct 23 2009, 12:12 PM) *
when i used to live at my other house (until end of june), i walked to work - 2 miles per day 40 minutes total, plus stretching, 20 minutes.
in the evenings i'd do another 45 minutes - Body Sculpt with Gilad, or get on my NordicTrack.
that equals around 90 minutes, plus stretching, which i was told was too much exercise.
from july through the end of september, i had really bad sinus problems so did not exercise at all, since i could not breathe.
since then, i've concentrated on doing aerobics and Body Scuplt with Gilad (circuit training).
i can't afford to gain more weight. i don't lift heavy weights because of the pcos - i get big like a guy - i'm trying to do what i can to burn fat.

Walking is crap for fat burning, don't believe the hype. If you want to lose fat you want high intensity workouts. I'd advise some HIIT training if the sinus problems have gone. Google HIIT workouts to see the kind of thing I mean. High intensity interval training burns fat! Also you still need to weight train. I can understand the fear of "bulking" up but if done properly you won't be as big as a guy I promise. It takes extremely high testosterone (higher than pcos), and 2-3 hours a day lifting heavy weights to build muscle. Also if you are at a calorific deficit (expending more energy than you take in) it's virtually impossible to gain muscle in a deficit (newbie gains aside). Even a guy eating at a calorie excess builds muscle very slowly. My guess is what you saw before is fat shedding revealing the underlying muscle. Remember also that weight training helps prevent osteoporosis.

QUOTE(p_176 @ Oct 23 2009, 12:12 PM) *
i simply cannot accept the way i look now, especially when EVERYONE either verbally or nonverbally tells me i am fat and ugly - it's true. at 5'0, i should weigh 100lbs not 165, going on 175.

if your friends/significant other/family are telling you that you are fat and ugly my suggestion is to tell them to fuck the hell off and get new friends! Sorry to be blunt but no-one needs that kind of negative impact on their life!
Lunalu
p_176,

I was diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago, too (also complicated by endometriosis, which i had to get it removed) i was on birth control, tried nuvaring, and various pills, and nothing made me emotionally stable, and also caused me to gain weight. Then i said screw the medicines, and i found a great naturapath, who was able to help me reduce my blood sugar.
I started eating high protein, low carb diet, low glycemic-index diet since then (last January). I used to have banana + strawberry smoothies w/yogurt in the past, which I learned bananas have the highest GI in them so I gave up, I started using rice protein powder (2 scoops) with coconut milk + mixed berries (prefer blueberries because it's high in anti-oxidants), plus with my naturapath's advice, I started adding organic ground flax-seed to my smoothies (it's hard to get used to at first, but you get used to it eventually) because flax-seed is good to balance testosterone and estrogen for PCOS.
I then take saw-palmetto supplements to reduce testosterone. Together with these diet changes (100gr protein, less than 50mg carbs, and healthy fats), my blood sugar went down from 99 to 82 now. and I have lost weight.
But I know what you mean, it takes a long time for your body to adjust to hormones. especially if you are taking any medication (like birth control, or anti-depressants) it makes it harder to lose weight, when it's associated with PCOS.
if you keep the belief in yourself, it will eventually happen whether it's 2 months, or 6 months or a year. (mine has been 10 months now since I changed my diet completely)... ooh, also one more thing: soda + caffeine is bad for PCOS. I had stopped drinking coke before I changed my diet, and it has been difficult to stop coffee, but I cut down a lot (even though I still have a cup of coffee here and there like once a week or so) because caffeine imbalances hormones, and also retains water weight, as for soda, even if you may be drinking diet / regular, they all have sugar, whether it's chemical sweetener or high-fructose, which is super-bad for PCOS.

As for exercise, for the first 5 months, I exercised regularly but I hardly at all did any cardio, I was going to group exercise classes like ABS + Low body work out with weights, which did zero for me to lose weight, but I think my arms and legs got shaped thanks to it.
Then I switched gyms and got a personal trainer, and found out that without vigorous activity, it's very difficult to lose weight. I used to do ellyptical trainer by myself, which showed I was burning close to 800cal / hr. it's a LIE. don't trust cardio machines' caloric display.
I started going to spinning classes, and i got a calorie-meter thing (called budy-bug or gowear-fit) that measures calorie burn during the day and night, (you wear it on your arm)and I noticed the regular cardio machines don't do much. I mean it's still better than a regular walk, but it's nowhere near the calorie burn a spinning class would give you.
So I started spinning classes last june and did that for 2 months 3 or 4 times a week, it was then I started losing weight, and my periods got more regular, and less pms-ing. and I started logging my food intake on livestrong.com as well, that way I know exactly how much I'm getting in and out. Remember you need to have 500cal. deficiency at the end of the day, to lose 1lbs/wk.

I think living with PCOS is a complete life change. chemical hormones might help somewhat, but they cause so much more dangerous side effects. so eating natural, unprocessed, wholesome foods, and avoiding high-glycemic and high-carb foods, and making sure you're getting enough protein might be the key for you as well.
Also, I agree with spot-on. you may be eating less than what you need, which may be causing your weight gain despite the exercise you've been doing. if your body is in starvation mode, it'll store what you consume, and your metabolism will be slow. Make sure you don't miss in-between-meal snacks, and don't keep yourself without eating main meals (breakfast+lunch+dinner) more than 3-4 hours (even if you don't feel hungry).

as for your hormones, have you ever got your progestrone and estrogen checked between the 19th-21st day of your cycle? the results may indicate something about your hormones, and then you can take some steps towards how to make them balanced if something is too high or too low.
spot-on
Great advice Sib and everything we've been advising here.

My only addition is that banana's are not a high GI food, they actually come in around 50-60 GI so are considered a medium GI food. Also remember it's not the individual food items regarding diet it's the overall meal GI. Eating a low GI with a GI food evens out to a medium GI (example baked potato (high) with beans or other low GI protein).
spot-on
I also just want to touch on what sib said about the cardio machine output. The machines are NOT calibrated for personal individuals, therefor the calores expended are not accurate. I have tested this myself with my heart rate monitor (good way to get your real calorie burn, go for one with a chest strap for more accuracy). The machine said after 4 miles that I had burned almost twice as many calories than I actually had. This worked out to nearly 400 cals descrepancy. If I had been taking that number into account for my cals in vs cals out, then I would be off by 400 cals. We need a 500 cal deficit daily to lose 1lb a week, so I'd essentially be undoing that deficit relying on the cardio machines. Forewarned is forearmed!
p_176
feeling mildly calmer today....the rain today has got me down. but i have girls night tonight!

when i first started walking to work a few years ago, i noticeably lost some weight. then life happened - i had more bills and had to take a pt job to pay them off, so i was eating at weird intervals.

anyway - that was 3 years ago. when i got tested for pcos, i'm not sure where i was in my cycle because i don't have a normal one. up until 5 years ago? i got my period every 3 months. now, for the last 3 years, i have gotten it every month. according to the pcos test i had done, my hormones are in the correct range. even my testosterone is within range - it's just at the high end. i have no idea if the dr is going to test it again.

i was going to take Vitex, but since i don't know which hormones are out of whack, i dont want to make it worse. i read that saw palmetto was good for pcos, but the article did not say why. if it's good to lower testosterone, i will try it, then maybe i won't get hair on my chin.

the main caffeine i drink now i green tea. this week i had soda, which was the first time in a month or two that i've had soda. i'm much happier without soda, especially because then i don't bloat.
p_176
i really appreciate your help and information. !!
Lunalu
by the way, saw-palmetto is good for lowering testosterone, and Vitex is good for balancing estrogen. Im taking both, and i think it's helping, though you need like at least about 3 months before saw-palmetto starts kick in. you just need to use it regularly everyday.

QUOTE(p_176 @ Oct 24 2009, 02:02 PM) *
feeling mildly calmer today....the rain today has got me down. but i have girls night tonight!

when i first started walking to work a few years ago, i noticeably lost some weight. then life happened - i had more bills and had to take a pt job to pay them off, so i was eating at weird intervals.

anyway - that was 3 years ago. when i got tested for pcos, i'm not sure where i was in my cycle because i don't have a normal one. up until 5 years ago? i got my period every 3 months. now, for the last 3 years, i have gotten it every month. according to the pcos test i had done, my hormones are in the correct range. even my testosterone is within range - it's just at the high end. i have no idea if the dr is going to test it again.

i was going to take Vitex, but since i don't know which hormones are out of whack, i dont want to make it worse. i read that saw palmetto was good for pcos, but the article did not say why. if it's good to lower testosterone, i will try it, then maybe i won't get hair on my chin.

the main caffeine i drink now i green tea. this week i had soda, which was the first time in a month or two that i've had soda. i'm much happier without soda, especially because then i don't bloat.

p_176
i have to maybe have my hormones re-checked. the one time i was tested, all my hormones were in line. my testosterone was within range, but at the high end of the range.
p_176
quick rant about people who don't take care of themselves. i know someone who is type II diabetic, is not insulin, has thyroid problems, and does not monitor her blood sugar. she told me that the only reason she'd gone to the dr recently is because her blood sugar was so high that the glucose monitor would not even register the level.
p_176
very depressed lately. going into week 3 of pms and bloating.
NaomiK
Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with fattening people in your life and negativity once you've lost weight?

My mom has always been heavy. When I was 17 I managed to loose around 30 lbs. I remember being really happy that all of sudden (it seemed) I went from barely fitting into a 14 to nearly fitting into a 4 comfortably. My mom never praised my weight loss, and instead started baking and refusing to take me shopping for clothes (I had a job and my own money but no car) trying to give me candy... I had friends giving me dirty looks as they called me skinny. So ten years later, my high weight after having my son was 215 and now I'm down to 184 and I'm trying to loose more, more for health than looks, but it seems the issues with my mom and my weight loss are starting again. It seems like every time I see her she manages to find a way to remind me that I started getting fat when I hit puberty. She used to tease me about my weight then too, and get my brother in on it as well. She's always trying to give me food. I'm hoping to hit my goal in about a year (115-120 I'm 5'3") and I'm not sure how to deal with people being negative about me loosing weight.
ketto
Naomi, I'm sorry I really don't have much advice in that department, but it sounds awful. I'm guessing there's no way you want to flat out confront her because that would probably get pretty messy. The best advice I can give is to try and surround yourself with positive, supportive people and remember that what your mom says about you is not how you feel about yourself.
spot-on
My suggestion is to talk to her about it. Often people reflect their own negative self image onto others and it sounds a little like that is what she's doing. Like "I am overweight, but that's ok cos Naomi is too, so obviously it's genetic, therefore I can continue this way". Good for you for breaking the mold and not letting her get to you! Explain to her the reasons for your losing weight, and maybe she'll open up to you also about her own weight fears? Other than that know that she is your Mom and she loves you, but sometimes we all speak before we think!

As for friends, well for some reason it seems like people feel more open to discuss someone losing weight than putting on weight. We had a conversation about this in the small boob thread, but basically yeah the comments are nasty, and again come from reflecting their own self image onto you. Know that they don't mean the hurtful things they say, they are just jealous. Unfortunately friends think it's perfectly ok to say things like "OMG you are so skinny I hate you!" etc. Sucks but unless you tell your friends that it hurts your feelings they won't know. I mean they wouldn't say "OMG you are so fat I hate you!" would they? But as soon as you get below a weight threshhold it's like you become a target for comments. Usually I just say, yeah I am skinny now but I am healthy, muscular and I worked damn hard to get the body I have today! Usually they'll agree and then make a vow to get healthy. But turn it into something positive yourself, make them see that you worked to get healthy, you didn't suddenly wake up that way! It's a reinforcing message to yourself also when you do this!

QUOTE(NaomiK @ Nov 3 2009, 06:46 AM) *
Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with fattening people in your life and negativity once you've lost weight?

My mom has always been heavy. When I was 17 I managed to loose around 30 lbs. I remember being really happy that all of sudden (it seemed) I went from barely fitting into a 14 to nearly fitting into a 4 comfortably. My mom never praised my weight loss, and instead started baking and refusing to take me shopping for clothes (I had a job and my own money but no car) trying to give me candy... I had friends giving me dirty looks as they called me skinny. So ten years later, my high weight after having my son was 215 and now I'm down to 184 and I'm trying to loose more, more for health than looks, but it seems the issues with my mom and my weight loss are starting again. It seems like every time I see her she manages to find a way to remind me that I started getting fat when I hit puberty. She used to tease me about my weight then too, and get my brother in on it as well. She's always trying to give me food. I'm hoping to hit my goal in about a year (115-120 I'm 5'3") and I'm not sure how to deal with people being negative about me loosing weight.

p_176
naomik - remind yourself that you did this for yourself, not for anyone else.

sib - i started taking saw palmetto yesterday. i know you said it would take up to 3 months to see changes, but what kind of changes should i look for? less hairiness? or do i have to do an actual bloodtest to check hormone levels? or both?
Lunalu

Well, I used to have completely out of order period cycles, saw-palmetto helped my cycles be more regular, that has been one major thing for me that I knew it was working, but on the other side, I also had regular screenings to test testosterone (blood work) which showed that it was going down. Mine was not too high either, but just on the higher end of the range. Lowering testosterone and having regular cycles helped me get out of irrational cycles that were preventing / delaying my weight loss.
also having regular cycles (naturally, not thanks to birth control pills) also helped lower my insulin levels. So yes, the best way to know if it is working is to get blood test done.
As for hairiness, since I didn't have that symptom at the first place, I don't know if it has any effect on that. I think you should take it regularly and assess it in about three months, see what's going to happen.
I hope it works for you.

QUOTE(p_176 @ Nov 3 2009, 01:43 PM) *
naomik - remind yourself that you did this for yourself, not for anyone else.

sib - i started taking saw palmetto yesterday. i know you said it would take up to 3 months to see changes, but what kind of changes should i look for? less hairiness? or do i have to do an actual bloodtest to check hormone levels? or both?

anna k
I hope you're feeling better, p 176.

But as soon as you get below a weight threshhold it's like you become a target for comments. Usually I just say, yeah I am skinny now but I am healthy, muscular and I worked damn hard to get the body I have today! Usually they'll agree and then make a vow to get healthy. But turn it into something positive yourself, make them see that you worked to get healthy, you didn't suddenly wake up that way! It's a reinforcing message to yourself also when you do this!

spot-on, it's definitely more culturally OK to comment on someone losing weight as a positive but a no-no to mention someone gaining weight. I'm proud of having lost weight and being stronger and in good shape, but it makes me a little self-conscious if someone tells me how thin I am or how I lost so much weight, I don't really have much to say except thank you, it makes me feel like a small person. And I'm not small, I have a big chest and wear a size 8 pants, still pretty voluptuous.
p_176
thanks anna. i am feeling better in general. i'm still heading into the third week of PMS and bloating. i've been taking fiber pills and drinking almost a gallon of water a day to stave it off, and it seems to be working - i've gained a few pounds but for the most part, my clothes still fit. my emotions are relatively steady; i'm not a raving lunatic anymore......no more of saying i'll feel better when i'm dead <blush>

isn't it true that if your temp goes up slightly, that's a sign you're ovulating?

naomik - i was going to ask if your friends were also overweight? whenever i've done something healthy, my sister, who is overweight, tries to derail it, like you don't need to do this exercise video you're skinny, so i'm just going to change the channel and watch something else.

either way, as you get healthier, you'll meet other healthier people as well.
p_176
sorry if i killed the thread....
ketto
I haven't been posting much because I haven't been doing much. I mean, I've been busy, what with moving house and everything. I'm still playing soccer but that's only once a week. On Friday my friend and I have plans to go to Hot Yoga for the first time in ages. I'm really looking forward to it. Tomorrow I'm hoping to either do a run outside or hit the gym. I have soccer tonight so I'm giving myself the day off to not worry about working out.

I'm scared to use my turbo jam DVD in the apartment because there's lots of jumping.
lapis
Hi everyone (especially Chacha),
Do you have any suggestions for debilitating GERD? I was thinking coconut oil, a low carb diet, and cutting out the refined sugar. Do you think stress could cause it? My friend is so sick after eating...

Thanks!
chachaheels
All those options are good for starters.

I've had a lot of good results just getting people to take a dose of Natrum Phosphoricum tissue salts after every meal.

You can find Biochemical Tissue Salts at any good health food store--better ones will even carry little booklets telling you how to select the right one (there are twelve, all together) to use for common ailments. They're not expensive and they work really well.

A 6X or 12X potency of the Nat Phos salts will do: take four little pills under the tongue after each meal or whenever heartburn pain is felt.

Before anything is done, though, does your friend know for certain that GERD is what's actually going on? It's such a "catch all" diagnosis these days that people assume it's what's wrong with them without making sure it's not something more severe, like an ulcer.

In any case, the Nat Phos will help to alkalinize the body so that the stomach will produce enough acid in the stomach, and the problem of reflux should stop from that alone. I'd still recommend seeing a doctor and having some tests done to rule out more dangerous causes of the same symptoms.
gluelita
eek. GERD = no fun. good luck.

ketto, hope hot-as-yell yoga works out for you. i just went to a class that kicked my butt. it was "all levels" but apparrently beginner is not a level. :/

do you have the turbo sculpt dvd? it's really really good and not as jumpy.
ketto
The hot yoga was great. The class here is called "beginner" but it's very very intense.

I have the whole DVD set but I prefer the cardio party part. The sculpting one is good too but not as good when I'm wanting more cardio.

I've been doing some very cold winter running in the -30 weather. I was surprised how easy it actually was. I had my face completely covered but after running for 5 minutes I was so hot I had to take the scarf off. Now that I've actually done it and know it's not that bad I should be able to get out there more.
snow white
ok, i'm getting a jump start on my new year's resolution; to get fit, but i'm a phys-ed idiot. i'd like to strengthen my upper arms and thighs b/c they're tiny, increase flexibilty and increase endurance. we have a good gym near by but i know i'm not going to stick with it if i have to leave the house. i have a pilates dvd, band and ball and i was wondering about the Wii fit package. i've read alittle bit about pilates and it builds lean muscles, is that all i'll need to improve? what works for u guys?
ketto
Snow, I would actually download the turbojam turboscultp workout that we were just talking about. If strength is what you're looking for, it offers a fantastic 40 minute workout with free weights.
spot-on
Just popping in to give my 2c

I offered before but if anyone has questions I am a personal trainer and fitness instructor and here for Q/A if you need it. PM me if you feel wish also.

There is no such thing as 'toning' or 'sculpting' muscles persay they are just terms invented by fitness "guru's" to make money, physiologically muscles either grow or they atrophy (get smaller). That's it. As women it is almost impossible to get body builder bulky unless you have excess testosterone in your body (eg, those that suffer with PCOS may be more prone to building muscles) or you take steroids so women should NOT be afraid of lifting heavier weights. Those 3lb dumbbells aren't gonna do shit! Hell my gym bag weighs more than that! Having strong muscles is GOOD for us!

Fitness DVDs I recommend: P90X, seriously it's the shit! I have never been in such good shape in my life! And I am 38! It's not really for complete beginners but if you modify it, do the easy versions and don't expect to do all the reps/sets then you'll be fine. For those wanting to do serious work this home DVD system is the best out there IMO. It WILL kick your ass, then do it again and again! I just started P90X+ and am feeling it all over again smile.gif

Also heard good things about insanity but I suffer with my knees and it's a lot of jumping/plyo. Turbo kick/turbo jam type DVDs are good for cardio workouts. Anyone wanting a cheap alternative, someone already mentioned running. If you need to start of walking then start off walking and build up to running.

again here if you have questions, fire away!
angie_21
spot-on, I do have a question about muscle building/"toning" ... I've always known it's a myth about "bulking up" if you're a girl, that one seems obvious to me. I mean, if it were that easy for girls to gian muscle then there'd be a lot more girls out there hulking out of their tank tops! But I want to know why weightlifting and yoga articles talk about differences in the kind of muscle you gain when you do many reps of light weights, compared to heavy weights but exhausting yourself after 6-8 reps. A lot of the time they claim you will get bulkier muscles from heavy weights, and longer, stronger muscles from high numbers of reps. And sometimes they say yoga gives you leaner, higher endurance muscle. But then other articles claim there's no difference, muscle is muscle. What gives?

My interpretation is that maybe yoga would give you "longer" and more flexible muscles because you're stretching at the same time that you're building muscle, and maybe you could be less "bulky" because you target a wider variety of muscles at once, so you look more balanced instead of having a some isolated gaint muscles from overdoing it on just the major areas (like the kids at the gym with giant biceps and nothing else lol). But that only explains stuff like yoga, it doesn't explain anything about how weights and reps would affect your muscle.
angie_21
and just to add one more thing to that question, which do you recommend, heavy weights at low reps, or lighter weights with many reps? Or it doesn't matter as long as you're actually doing it? And is it the same for boys and girls? The boy and I are going to try working out together for our new years resolutions smile.gif
spot-on
Ok apologies if this tends to waffle on and go off tangent for a while, just trying to get everything into one post, lol! Also I am cooking my lunch and kinda on/off the computer, hopefully it all makes sense, if there are any more questions just ask. I'll be back on briefly to check in over the holidays

YOGA
Most yoga articles are bunk. I don't mean that negative to yoga as I do yoga myself and it's definitely beneficial, but most articles talk about yoga "lengthening" muscle, which basically is physiologically impossible. It CAN give you more flexible muscles but the length of a muscle is dependent on the bone length. If there was an exercise to increase bone length I wouldn't still be 5' 4"! lol!

Articles can claim lots of things, as I already mentioned, doesn't mean they are true. Like most things we have to look into the 'facts' they are giving us. Usually it's one persons interpretation of a study, and 90% of the time womens magazine articles aren't worth the paper they are printed on (unfortunately).

Weights / reps
weights vs reps is all about strength vs endurance. Basically high weight & low rep = strength, bigger muscle mass, inc metabolism; low weight & higher reps = endurance, less bulk, still with increase in metabolism. Basically it's about either lifting a really heavy weight lifting a lighter weight but for longer. Genetically men are the strong weight lifters, we women lift lighter but are in it for the long haul! But like you said if bulking was the norm for women we'd see more HUGE women bulking in tank tops, hell I'd be HUGE, yet I weigh just 120lbs lol! I lift fairly heavy 3x a week like I said, I usually do 10-12 reps of med weights. I do have muscle, and awesome guns smile.gif muscle looks awesome in tanks and gives me a lot of definition. No wobbly bits smile.gif 6-8 reps of heavy weights will give you big size. Men are more prone to size due to the testosterone. Testosterone is one reason for bulking and why some body builders take steroids (including the women). Hell if heavy weights bulked women up we'd have arms the size of Arnold Swarzenegger. Think about it ladies. those with babies, lifting the kids up and down, carrying them around etc, that IS weight training yet we don't bulk. Most of us do the grocery shopping and those bags aren't light, laundry baskets etc. Exercise is meant to provide some functional training for real everyday life activities, so why lift with 3lb dumbells for an hour, then go lift up and carry your 10lb baby for the rest of the day? Makes no sense!!!

Different training types
Yoga is great for flexibility and range of motion, and for static strength but it is NOT to be used for strength training alone. The reason for this is that the strength moves are mostly static contractions, this is where you are in a position and holding it for a period of time. whilst this does have a strength building content real strength training comes from using weight, against a muscle, in a full range of movement. Like I mentioned above, training should have a functional element to it. I do weight training 2-3x a week and stretching/yoga class at least once a week. Like I said though, yoga is great for other kinds of strength training and flexibility training which is why I always advice at least one class a week.

Muscle is muscle in a sense yes (without getting all technical), you can make it bigger and/or stronger but you can't make it longer. Muscle types (as in fast/slow twitch fibres) is determined by genetics, but I don't think that's what you're asking so I'll leave that one for now.

more on muscles. the other point I want to make is that you can't strengthen AND stretch the same muscle at the same time, it can either do one or the other. Muscles work in pairs, while one contracts the opposing muscle 'stretches'. This is how we get imbalances in our posture from tight/lax muscles and why it's important to work opposing muscle groups.

I think I touched one the differences between yoga/weights with the different types of contraction, let me know if you need more info on that.

sets/reps - for BIG size muscle, heavy weights and low reps (6-8), for 'leaner' look and endurance, lower weight and more reps(10-12)

For the last question it depends on your goals. Most men want to bulk so I say heavy weights 6-8 reps, for women it's usually 'tone' so lighter weights more reps (10-12). Again I DO recommend a stretching/yoga element 1 or 2 x a week but that shouldn't be the focus of your exercise routine. Also if your boy wants to build muscle let me know as there are other aspects involved in that besides just lifting heavy smile.gif Basically this is why PT exists cos one size does not fit all. We have to take into account the history, the goals and the progress then tweak the routine. This is the reason IMO that most exercise plans fail, because people take their friends and expect it to work for them. It's more than that. It's creating a balanced weight routine for that individual tailored to their goals, with good cardio activities, healthy diet plan, and motivational training with results. That's why we're expensive smile.gif

angie_21
wow, thanks! I usually try to stay away from women's magazines too, but I was stuck in an airport in need of easy reading and bought a yoga magazine and a women's-health-type magazine and they got me thinking about these things.

I am actually vaguely concerned about looking too masculine since I found out after my last physcial that I have abnormally high testosterone levels. yay me. But since I'm pretty happy with my overall strength and wanted more endurance anywyas, I will stick to lower weight, higher rep training and see how it goes. My sweetie is mostly just interested in being more in shape, but I'm sure he would also like to build some muscle too, though he probably wouldn't admit to it. Ha ha taking into account our goals and history.. we both have a history of being very in shape for 4 months of the year (and only because we were being paid to work so hard) and then very out of shape for the rest of the year. and our only real goal is not to die of heart disease at the age of 45... well if I can scrape together the money I will force myself into a yoga class starting in January...

There's a spa lady down the road form me and I went in for a free trial workout. I don't know if they have these gyms where you are, but their membership includes free "personal training"... based on my experience there, you told me more in one post than they would have told me in months! is there some kind of way to know if you're getting real, experienced personal training? I'm assuming there must be some kind of certification?
spot-on
Glad to help Angie, unfortuntely there is so much misinformation out there those of us with the knowledge IMO need to give back a little where we can. I guess that goes for all trades not just fitness

There are some decent yoga DVDs out there, but nothing beats a class with hands on instructor IMO. The thing with any exercise is the subtle little differences in position can make all the difference, this is especially so in yoga I find.

Unfortuntely there is no 'governing body' for PT, any average Joe can call themselves a PT and have no qualifications or experience whatsoever. I always say ASK. What qualifications do they have? There are PT qualifications out there, ACSM, AFAA, ACE, YMCA & NASM for example are the tops ones but there are others. A good PT should always have liability insurance (to cover them and you!) and be first aid/CPR certified (AHA or red cross for example). You will find however that most places just offer a basic "inhouse training" certificate that isn't worth the paper it's printed on sad.gif Just like you found at that spa. Sounds like just the place I am talking about huh? PT certifications cover anatomy, kinesiology, physiology, sports science, safety and much much more. Even the certifications are all equal. I know the AFAA and ACSM is a continuing education type certification, they are valid for a couple of years then you have to prove you have some Continuing education (courses, required reading etc) for your certs to stay valid. These types are certs are the best for the consumer as the PT HAS to keep up with the latest research! Otherwise we'd all still be working out to Jane Fonda, lol!

There has been talk for a while of a bill going through to make sure that only those qualified can call themselves personal trainers, but so far nothing has passed through. I think this would be great for the consumer as they'd know that only those with the credentials could be personal trainers.
zoya
spot-on - good to hear you love P90X also - I started it, did it pretty religiously for 3 weeks, but then got really busy and didn't have the time to keep doing it (and for me, really busy is REALLY busy - like 8 am to 2 am the next day work days, so I'm not making excuses when I say i was too busy!) I do want to get back into it. In just those 3 weeks, I was seeing results, especially in my arms. I've always been really fit and active, but in the last couple of years, it's kinda gone to hell. Been uber busy with work and not up to the same level of fitness, drinking way too much and eating shitty- basically having a good time, but it's caused me to become about 15-20 lbs heavier than I normally am when I'm in good, healthy shape. I'm starting to get pretty depressed about it, and I desperately want to get back in shape. I've never really had to work at it before, and it's kinda like that is what's holding me back, if that makes any sense. I've never had to start from a fairly out of shape place and work at getting in shape. Before it was just an active lifestyle including running, sports, etc. that just kept me naturally fit. Never had to plan it out before and it's so hard.

I do realize that the only solution is probably to just get off my ass and deal with it. (the only thing good about it all is that I tend to gain more weight in my boobs, so instead of my normal 34B, I've got 36C right now, and while I do like being smaller, it's kinda fun being a little chesty for once... however, not at the expense of my waistline and overall tone, bleh.)

are you familiar with "10 minute trainer", the DVD set from the same people who put out P90X? I'm thinking about getting that for days that I am uber busy. I may not always have time to do 1 - 1.5 hours like with P90X, but I figure even on a busy day I can allocate 10 minutes. I'd like to make that 10 minutes count, and wondering if those DVDs really do structure things so you get results.
snow white
thanks spot-on. my step-dad was a gym teacher and goes to the gym regularly, maby i'll tag along so i can get a refesher course and hopefully get myself off to a good start this year smile.gif
ketto
Oh December, I love you so but I always gain weight. Not much (especially considering where I was last March) but enough to make my pants feel a bit snug. I've actually been out running fairly frequently the last two weeks. I really can't believe how much I love winter running. I thought I'd be too chicken for sure but it's been great. It's been starting to feel easier but now that all the snow is falling I have a new challenge. I can definitely feel my legs working.

I also got my very own xcountry skiis from my folks. There's a path directly behind my apartment but I'm not sure if it's up and running yet. I'm just about to go for a run and see if I might be able to to take out my skiis in the next few days.

Since paperboy and I are keeping up with our running we're going to try and do some part of the marathon in June. I would love to do a half marathon but I'm scared I'll lose my commitment. I've made a lot of lifestyle improvements in the last 8 months so here's hoping I can keep on.
spot-on

Yep that's the problem with weight, it goes where it wants to. Pain in the butt!

Nope not heard anything about the 10 minute trainer. My feeling with the "quick fix" is they don't work. We know we should work out for 45+ minutes and I agree that time is often an issue, but we know that quick fixes don't work, diets don't work. IMO something like the 10 minute workout is better than nothing but not optimum or ideal and you just aren't going to see the results you want regardless of how the DVD exercise is structured. Just isn't going to happen.

QUOTE(zoya @ Dec 25 2009, 01:44 AM) *
I do realize that the only solution is probably to just get off my ass and deal with it. (the only thing good about it all is that I tend to gain more weight in my boobs, so instead of my normal 34B, I've got 36C right now, and while I do like being smaller, it's kinda fun being a little chesty for once... however, not at the expense of my waistline and overall tone, bleh.)

are you familiar with "10 minute trainer", the DVD set from the same people who put out P90X? I'm thinking about getting that for days that I am uber busy. I may not always have time to do 1 - 1.5 hours like with P90X, but I figure even on a busy day I can allocate 10 minutes. I'd like to make that 10 minutes count, and wondering if those DVDs really do structure things so you get results.

snow white
i did go to the gym today and learned how to use all the nautilis equipment, i surprisingly had a good time smile.gif i'm really proud of myself and i'm gonna try to get there every week day smile.gif i can feel the january "doldrums" coming on and i hope to fight it off by getting off my ass.
auntilulu
Hey all,

I figure it would probably be a good idea for me to post in here since I definitely need to have some good influences in the weight-loss department as I am surrounded by coworkers pressuring me to have cookies for breakfast on a daily basis.

Anybody else have this problem? I work in a large office that just loooooves to celebrate everybody's birthdays with not just cakes but lots of other treats that everyone is encouraged to try. We seem to have a lot of sagittarians so December was a particularly difficult month. A recent batch of double-chinned photos have really motivated me to get back on track . . . yikes!

Does anybody use Wii fit here? I really like it but I've gotten kind of tired of the cardio boxing already and I'm looking for a good alternative.
snow white
auntilulu, i work in a doctors office with a parade of drug reps in and out all day, since they can't ring pens, paper, clipboards, ect with they're brand name on it anymore they bring food, on a daily basis we get lunches from reb lobster, applebees, and top notch local places. and don't forget about breakfast! all the donuts and egg mcmuffins you could want.

i'm right now hyping myself up tp get to the gym, my only real deterrent is that it's so god damn cold i don;t even want to leave my bed.
angie_21
Oh man. I spent a whole week working out and tracking calories (and keeping them under 1800!) but after two New Years house parties at the end of the week, I've gained a pound instead of losing any. Damn. Oh well, back on the horse, and extra weekend workouts for me this month!

Spot-on, I really didn't know that 45 minutes was necessary. Do you mean 45 minutes of cardio, or 45 minutes overall? And does it have to be all at once? I always thought that you needed a minumum 20 minute cardio component to the workout and make sure to include strength and stretching as well as the cardio, but otherwise things were more flexible. A few years back there were those studies that showed doing two 15 minute blocks of cardio was as effective as one 30 minute block.. seemed unlikely to me, especially for actually gaining endurance. But I did think you could do, say, cardio in the morning but save the weights for when you get home at night?

Sorry for all the questions. As you can see, I really am trying to make some improvements this year and don't know as much as I would like about how it's done.
epinephrine
Oh busties, I've totally fallen off the wagon. I just moved back to my hometown after 4 1/2 months away, living with my aunts and their home gym, and I'm finding it really hard to work out in my little basement apartment. The only space I have to work out in is the kitchen, and it just kind of sucks. It's really hard to motivate myself. I'm back in my martial arts class, but I need more than that. I'm hoping that my uni's gym will work for me. I have class 4 mornings a week until 10:30, and my Muai Thai class starts at either 11 or 12 depending on the day, so I'm thinking on the days it starts later I'll just hit up the school gym first. I'm also planning on signing up for a yoga or pilates class - apparently there's a queer yoga class that's a lot of fun, and I'd love to join that. I'm down to 140 pounds now, which still a bit much for my 5"1 frame, and I'd like to tone up. I do like my curves, though. It's strange. I have some conflicting ideals for my body, I guess.
spot-on
Yep total, not just cardio.

As for results/effectiveness it really depends on your goals. Overall health, sure 2x15 mins is fine etc, heck being more active in general is fine. But for cardiovascular benefits etc, losing body fat/weight, gaining muscle then you need to work weights/cardio continuously for a duration of time 45-60 minutes. The 2x15mins thing was aimed at sedentary individuals who need to do something for their basic health. Doing the 2x15mins isn't going to cut down their meds, or lose them any significant weight but they will see some basic overall health benefits in their blood levels etc. Look at the fine print to these articles, *more is better* The lower time/duration is something recommended to those individuals getting back into fitness after years of sedentary lifestyles, or health issues. For the average person, who has no movement issues or health issues then for weight/health/fitness benefits a block of time is much more effective.

Depending on how you are doing the weights/cardio also depends on the workout, so much to think about. For example it's not recommended that you do weights on the same body part on consecutive days so as to give the chance for muscles to repair themselves. My own preference is to do the 45-60 mins cardio one day weights next and repeat. If I am having a busy week and can only workout 3x that week, I do Mon, weds fri and do: abs, weights, cardio in that order, or some kind of combined circuit. The reason I do abs first is because like most people otherwise I tend to slack off by being all out for the cardio/weights then blowing off the abs cos I worked hard already or ran out of time. Weights second in this workout format so we maintain proper form, and cardio last so as to get an all round workout.

Not all exercise formats are equal and what works for one doesn't work for everyone. Time IS a huge factor for everyone but remember you can't put a price on your health!

MadameHooch
I have a wicked sweet tooth but can usually keep myself in check - I was down to a weight I'm comfortable with (I'm happy at 140 and 5"4, but ideally I would love to get down to 130), but have shot up to 155. The holidays were no help and neither is my being surrounded by people who love to eat junk (which I can't resist - yum) and are not supportive of me trying to get back in to my old, healthy habits. When I get off track, I always forget my way back. It's like I get amnesia as to how I stayed healthy in the past!
sassygrrl
Fell off the wagon too. The holidays and just wedding stress. I'd like to lose 10-15 before the wedding. Should I just go back to circuit training and lifting weights? I'll have to re-read this thread. I thought about getting the P90X, but can't afford it right now.
spot-on
interval training is great for fat/weight loss, research has shown that interval training burns more fat than steady state cardio so yep go ahead with the circuits and weights! Remember to just get out there and DO IT! And also don't sabotage yourself with a poor diet.
ketto
I agree with interval training. I don't do it very much now but when I was first getting into running again it was all I did. I was able to build up stamina so fast. Now I'm doing 35-60 minute runs easy.
candycane_girl
I just googled interval training and it sounds like you do a few minutes at high intensity and then a few minutes at low intensity, is that basically how it works?

I usually use an elliptical trainer because I hate running but I think I could still do this by altering the settings on the trainer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.