Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
lunasol
ohhhhhh, okay, chacha, i see what you mean and i'm sure you're right. it IS quite an accomplishment that the human race OVERALL has been able to double life expectancy over the last 400 years or so, but i see your point. and i wouldn't be surprised if the developed world's life expectancy started to go down due to consumption issues.
chachaheels
Actually, lunasol, it HAS gone down in developed countries as a result of nutritional deficiency on a mass scale. Don't forget that many who do live out the "official" life expectancy do so, for the vast majority, with a host of chronic ailments, so that quality of life is also eroded as people age. We don't see a lot of 80 or 90 year olds who live independently and continue to feel capable, and in good health. Compared to many of the cultures Price studied in the 20's and 30's, we live about 20 years less long, and we do so in comparatively poorer health.

You can even see a big difference in health and longevity when you compare older people in our culture with older people who live in countries where the quality of their food and diet is far closer to traditional standards, and control and restriction is placed on some of the "accepted" practices we see happening here all the time.

I try to imagine just how much longer we'd live and how much better we'd live if we did have more "say" in the way our food is produced, or we could demand to know exactly what was in the food we were eating so we could be fully informed when we decide what to eat. Would we live as long as the people in the Caucasian mountains, or the Swiss farming communities that Dr. Price studied in the 1920's and 30's, where life expectancy was over a hundred years? In any case, food quality and knowledge is just one aspect of living out the genetic potential--there are plenty of other factors involved as well. It's just extremely clear to me how much knowledge about food and nutrition we have lost ever since it became big business. We're still a lot like those colonial settlers who "know too much" to learn from people who've thrived where we're struggling, and would rather continue to do so before admitting to ignorance at all.
sassygrrl
Just popping in to tell you gals that I finally tried those Cliff Necatur bars. They're rad!

Not doing too good this week, but huge deadlines at work and PMS/bloating cramps right now. Water weight sucks.

amilita
I don't usually go to buffets, but I was with a friend and agreed to go to one with a sushi bar...I only ate sushi rolls, hot and sour soup and watermelon. Yay! Not easy...I love fried Chinese appetizers like crab rangoon and they had some yummy-looking sorta Dim Sum stuff, like steamed buns. And greasy-looking meatballs.

I'm making ratatouille later and I wanna be able to melt some swiss on mine, so I didn't want to have a giant lunch. I'm feeling very determined. Love when I'm in that kinda mood.
_octinoxate
Ladies, can I vent for a minute?

I'm feeling really down about this knee injury today. I just got back from hobbling around the gym, and it was so unsatisfying: piddling along with the stupid hand bicycle machine surrounded by all these super fit college girls while I do nothing but gain more weight and get more out of shape. I tried to do the stationary bike ever so slowly on the very lowest resistance setting, just to maintain some sort of range of motion of my legs, and it was painful after 30 seconds. I used to be able to do 8, even 10 minutes a few months ago with this injury... so does this mean it's getting worse and not better?? It worries me.

Also, I've been proud of myself for being so accepting of the weight I've gained (after all, I definitely don't need to make this injury experience harder on myself by being critical of my appearance), but at this point-- man, I was at the doctor yesterday (getting a fucking biopsy, which was fun) and I had to ask the nurse to not tell me how much I weigh now b/c I don't want to freak out about it and get into anorectic eating patterns again (like I did several years ago). As fas as eating goes, I feel like I eat really healthy, but I just cannot manage to eat a low enough amount of calories to fit with this sedentary lifestyle. Arg.

It's been four and a half months now. When the fuck does this start to get better?? I went from being in the best shape of my life to, by far, the worst. My 60-year-old mother is in better shape than me... and likes to tell me about how fun her latin dance classes are... which makes me miss dance, one of my old favorite hobbies. I don't have hobbies now, because they were all so physical: dance, kickboxing, hiking. I can't even do other things that aren't athletics-oriented, like for instance being a docent at this butterfly exhibit in town. I would *love* to do that, but I can't be on my feet, and I can't give tours sitting down.

Okay, deeeeeep breath.

Maybe I'll brainstorm about constructive things I can do to feel better/deal better, like:
1. look into joining another gym that I like going to more and that isn't just full of super fit people
2. get a wheelchair to enhance my mobility? (then maybe i could do the docent thing...) This seems so extreme.
3. ask my mom to not tell me about her dance exploits (as though she listened to things I asked of her...)
4. look into buying a hand-powered real bicycle... they make those, right? Then I could get out of the damn house more often.
5. ???
chachaheels
Well, that sucks, Octi. I know how it feels to suddenly not be able, despite your best efforts, to do what you could always do well. That gym is really pushing your sore points and, aside from that being an opportunity to know your own reasons and reactions a lot better, it's still a blow to your self-esteem to be there. The gym is the first thing I'd attack on my list of things to change.

It's obvious you're a highly competitive person, though, so you have to realise that anything which engages this mindset, particularly at a time when you're not in your best form, is going to set you back. Maybe the best thing to do in terms of workouts, at this point, is to take yourself out of the context where you'll be "comparing" your "limited" abilities to the unhampered performance of those around you. You have to find a place to concentrate on building your body back up again that is more suited to that end--with no athletes running around, unhindered, to make you feel inferior. You're making a comparison that's completely unfair to you and what you're setting out to do--and that just sets you up for the same old thoughts about failure and inability to meet any kind of random standard. You can't hope to get better under these kinds of circumstances because there are so many aspects of this situation that can "hit" you if you're not conscious about your reactions to them.

(I know you're gonna hate me for saying this, but step back and ask yourself what it is about this situation that sets you off emotionally: that bit of learning is a HUGE part of all your health issues--it's what's driven you in the past, what can actually sabotage your efforts to be the best person you are in terms of health, abilities, potential. What you write about your mother, for example: okay, she's not as sensitive to your situation as she could be--or maybe she's telling you how active she is because she knows that it's something you really value; and that's something she might think actually "bonds" her to you--I'm just speculating as an example, as I don't know. It's significant, however, that hearing your mom say this causes you to feel a little jealous, or resentful; or even really upset because you presently can't achieve this level of activity with your injury. But it's unfair to expect to want to! And it would be totally unfair for anyone to make this demand of you now. You need to heal yourself! It's like you're placing completely meanspirited, unrealistic demands on yourself that wouldn't be safe for you to meet--and that's a familiar scenario, I think. Perhaps this is an old dynamic just playing itself out again...is it? If it is, then you're in it again in order to make this dynamic change. I'm one of those people who would say that until this issue is addressed, and this dynamic is altered to respect your needs first, your health won't be restored).

On the other hand, your ideas for finding new areas of interest are all good--why not ask the butterfly exhibit people how they can help you be a docent for their show? They'd probably love to have you, and would be ready to help you get around to do the work involved--make it easy and enjoyable for you. Wjat about any other interests you might have that aren't so physical--stuff you would have left until "later" when you were more physically active?

And the frustration about the effort that's gone into getting well again--this should be discussed with your physiotherapist. Maybe he/she's not aware of your own goals in getting well--what you want to see happen, and when. If they aren't aware, they should be and they should work with you to set up something realistic and manageable, that still gives you some visible results so you'll feel encouraged rather than defeated.

amilita
My first week paying attention to what I'm eating and I did really well! Yesterday, I didn't eat enough because I fell asleep a little while after I got home from work, so when I woke up today I ate some ratatouille with melty swiss and a mini baugette. Yum. I love all soups and stews...I think next I may try this sweet potato one with jalapenos. So autumn-y! I was just now pretending it's chilly outside and drinking hot coccoa.

This week, my goals are to keep eating well and to go to the gym Mon, Wed, and Fri. Yay!
erinjane
Chacha, is the diet that's talked about at the weston a. price site the same as the "caveman diet"?
flanker_ji
Amilita, could I trouble you for the sweet potato & jalapeno stew recipie?? That sounds fantastic.
chachaheels
There's no actual "diet" on the Price Foundation's website, and it's not the "caveman" diet--Price actually looked at the foods and traditions of a variety of peoples whose lifestyles had either not changed to incorporate the changing North American diet foods, or still retained much of the foods they produced and ate for centuries before processed foods became part of the food they ate.

I don't think any of the studied cultures lived in caves, per se; some of the groups were people like Swiss villagers who lived in the Mountains during the turn of the last century (they were farmers, basically, so they ate grains, dairy foods, meats and some fish); others were groups such as the Masai in Africa (all meat eaters, no plant foods at all--just meat, milk, and bones of the cattle they raised); and yet another were African tribes who ate mostly vegetarian foods (but always kept some animal foods as part of their diet in order to ensure mothers and fathers would bear healthy children). Price also studied the Eskimo people (which is what they called themselves when he was doing his research--I believe they were Inuit, just based on the "where" of his research) among others like an Aboriginal group in Australia. He studied hunter-gatherers, agrarians, vegetarians, meat eaters, the whole spectrum.

So, in truth, Price saw a huge variety in what different peoples ate (all peoples adapted to climate, location, local vegetation and animal resources, etc. etc). but he was very good in pointing out that the diets had several important aspects in common. He was very interested in the amassed knowledge each culture had acquired about nutrition by simple trial and error, by their own empirical processes--learning and remembering what kept people healthy, what allowed them to produce, as they all said, "perfect babies", and what happened when those vital foods were removed from the diet. He was concerned that we were losing this valuable information as North American processed foods were introduced into diets all over the world, and traditional crops were being replaced by cash crops planted by corporations more interested in making money than in providing nutritious foods.

There's no one "diet" described on the site, but there are suggestions and recommendations made for changing our current diets to incorporate many of the traditional types of foods which have ensured excellent health for human beings for centuries, despite what we're now told is "healthy" by government agencies.

Here's a summary of the foods and practices Price found in traditional diets which ensured full health:
Dr. Price's must have foods
It's not a diet so much as a "what's absolutely necessary" list--and if you add these foods to your diet as well as you can and eliminate soy foods, processed and refined foods, and much of the heavily denatured foods out there, you can have a nutritionally sound diet which will make a huge difference in your susceptibility to chronic disease.

There is one diet that does incorporate much of the information on the site, and it's written by Dr. Mary Enig; it's called Eat Fat, Lose Fat. It involves the use of tropical oils like coconut oil, which I love (and now you can find it extra virgin cold pressed and organic almost anywhere). It's an excellent diet for treating chronic disease as well as for use in weight loss.
amilita
Chacha, that really makes me want to start making my own stocks. I love it when I actually do it, but I get the ones in cartons for convenience, too. I remember this butcher in Whole Foods who loved me when I said I had to have bone-in chicken because I was making soup. Not only was I not vegetarian, but I needed my bones!

So I lost 5# this week! Yay! I know some of that is my system not being full, ya know, but it still is encouraging.

Flanker, here is the recipie:

Sweet Potato, Corn and Jalapeno Bisque

1 TB peanut oil
1 c. chopped onion
1 TB minced garlic
6 medium sweet potatoes (about 5 pounds) peeled and cut into 1" cubes
8 c. vegetable or chicken stock
1-2 medium jalapenos, or to taste, stemmed seeded and finely chopped
2 c. corn kernels
1/4 c. molasses
1 TB kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne, or to taste
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
scant pinch ground cinnamon
finely chopped green onions, green parts only, for garnish

- heat oil about one minute in a 6-qt. saucepan or Dutch oven over med. heat
-add onions and garlic, and let onions sweat until soft, two to three minutes.
-add potatoes and stock, and bring to a boil.
-reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.
-remove from heat, and puree mixture
-to puree, add corn, jalapenos and molasses, stirring well
-season to taste with salt, cayenne, and black pepper, and add cinnamon
-bring soup to a simmer and serve immediately, garnished with green onions

The End! Course, I never peel the potatoes or sweet potatoes that go into stuff, do you guys?

You'll have to tell me how it is if you make it soon, cuz I think I'm gonna make something else first...corn chowder out of the Moosewood cookbooks. I have every ingredient for that except the corn, so I barely have to shop. Then I'll wait a couple weeks and make this.
chachaheels
I'm so looking forward to making great stock, too, amilita. My mom used to make them regularly, when I was a kid (an ungrateful, ignorant, silly kid who didn't appreciate the fact that she made us the kind of food I now pay a lot of money to eat in really good restaurants). I decided this fall that I would bring her over so she could look over my shoulder while I make them. She just can't do this kind of cooking anymore as it's too labour intensive for her, but she loves to oversee the cooking. And we could do with some time together.

A big part of the happiness about making this kind of food is you get to make friends with people who "get" the appreciation for great food thing--like your butcher! They all end up being so happy to help you out. I don't know what it is--it's like they suddenly feel good remembering their own experience about the food you're making, and they bend over backwards to encourage you to make it.

My mom used to use an entire chicken to make chicken stock--neck, feet, the whole thing. I even vaguely remember that the cavity of chicken body often contained eggs, which would cook in the stock. I have to double check that memory with her. Hardly anyone uses the entire chicken anymore to make stock, so it's hard to find someone who knows.

Thank you for posting that sweet potato recipe--now I'm wondering if I should make the stew, or the corn chowder you've mentioned. I've got a lovely porchetta roast sitting in the fridge for tonight, and I think the sweet potato stew will be great with it.

I love fall!
erinjane
(Just to clarify, when i say "diet" i'm referring to things you eat everyday as in a "healthy diet" not in the "fad diet" sense.)

I ask because my dad keeps telling me about 'the caveman diet' which is not actually a "fad diet", but a lifestyle change, and it sounds extremely similar.
amilita
Yum...a roast with the sweet potato bisque sounds so good. Please let me know how it turns out if you try it!

I love fall, too. My official ringing in fall meal is this chicken soup with keilbasa, kale and white beans and I make pumpkin bread to go with it...I think I'll wait 'til it's just a little cooler down here before I whip that up.
chachaheels
Oh Amilita, please post that soup recipe! And that pumpkin bread recipe! That soup sounds like the kind of stuff my mom would make--like a fall minestrone. So hearty and delicious.

Erinjane, I found an article about the "caveman" diet you might like to read--I don't know which kind your dad's been referring to, as there is so much dispute about what ancient, extinguished peoples ate.
Have a look at these articles for some clarification:
the caveman cuisine article
traditional dietary wisdom
nasty,brutish,and short
amilita
I will post the recipie later, chacha, I promise!

Right now, I wish I would just start bleeding, because I have that crazed desire to eat everything I see until I'm stuffed. Bleh. And I've been feeling great the last week, but today I just feel bloated and gross. *whine*
_octinoxate
Chacha, thanks for your response earlier this week. No, I don't hate you at all for probing about the underlying causes of my frustration! I've spent a lot of time during the course of this injury thinking about all the issues that this brings up, and why, and what to do about it... basically, I've been trying to focus on all the potential growth that's here. It's just that sometimes I can't keep up that productive mindset and just have to pull my hair out for a minute. I think I was especially frustrated that day because I do tend to agree with you that the health problem may not go away until I've dealt with all the emotional aspects that are intertwined with it-- and I thought I had done a pretty good job of that! I was thinking "dammit, I learned my lessons, so why isn't this going away??" I do think I probably have more to process, though... and I do think that sometimes health problems are in fact, at least at some points, purely physiological. So who knows. Patience, patience.

But anyway, yeah, that gym has GOT to go. Besides being full of these lithe athlete types who make me feel so weak, they play terrible macho music, it's way too crowded, and gets all muggy and nasty at night. Problem is, it's free and close by! I'm having a hard time even finding another gym around here, even putting that money issue aside for now. And proximity is important b/c driving can be painful for the knees. So it's coming down to shitty gym v. no gym for now, and I don't know which to pick!

I wonder if you or anybody else around here has any ideas about pain control. I'm starting to have GI problems from all this ibuprofen I've been taking, but still need a reliable way to control pain as I have to cut back on the pills. I know about icing. I also sometimes use a menthol/camphor topical. Any other ideas?? (Sorry if this is getting slightly off topic for the thread... should I go to general health?)

That sweet potato jalapeno soup sounds amazing. I just had a great store-bought soup tonight (for which I can offer no recipe): carrot cashew ginger. Yum.
chachaheels
You're welcome, Octi. I'm sorry it's going this way--it just sounds so hard.

I'm one of those people who has to look at the context of things like injury, and our health, in the larger frame of our whole lives. I know this isn't easy for a lot of people to do--we're really conditioned away from this kind of thinking so strongly that when injuries or illnesses happen to us it's really hard to understand what we're going through as a possible learning and growth opportunity, rather than just something frightening, or a "setback". I look at it this way: there are no "coincidences" in life--things do happen for reasons we can't fathom at the time, and often those reasons have nothing to do with "good" and "evil" aspects of our thinking. "Accidents" take place, illnesses take place, apparently insignificant events take place and they happen to be major in our lives. All of these are examples of ways we can learn to make ourselves whole, ways we can become less susceptible to any threat that might undermine our abilities to really become who are meant to be.
That goes for the physiological stuff--we're such multidimensional, complex beings and we really do drive the world around us with even the slightest change in our thoughts, our energy, and the dynamics we create and become part of as a result. We simply cannot in any way disengage from the entire world (and universe--I know, it sounds like star trek now) around us, or function as something separate from it. Everything we do adds to it and alters it; everything about "it" alters and adds to us. Constantly.

That's why it's really important to place events like these kinds of accidents in context within the whole totality of you. It's not accidental that this seemingly physiological ailment has brought out all these old issues--strong, lively, age old issues that really have an ongoing effect on your emotions, your courage, your whole being. I think that gym is a major challenge--it's so big it is currently acting as a stumbling block because the issues about your own abilities are now made so huge in that context...you're left thinking badly about yourself, and worried about how you compare to the others around you. I can't say I know exactly what you're feeling when you say "I thought I already dealt with that!!!" when all those old issues come back--but I do know I've undergone the same kind of reaction when events which push all my old buttons take place...and I know that I have to revisit the same old issues again, and try to learn from them again.
For me, it's so significant that you are still on some level competing with others, even through this illness; it's almost as if the most difficult task you must learn to master above all others is paying attention to your body's needs, and then meeting them no matter what, despite the standards others may represent or set.
I bet it's always been easy for you to compete with others and excel, no matter what the cost was to you as a person; what's been difficult is finding the means by which you prioritize your own needs and dreams over what others have deemed to be standards you should meet. Maybe it is time for you to set standards for yourself--standards that you value and wish to pursue for the reasons that can only be relevant and supportive to the person you are. It's a long process, getting better from any illness; but it's worth the effort because it can mean we don't compromise ourselves any further, or unknowingly undermine ourselves by doing things which never benefit us, for reasons we don't really want to respect.

Enough blathering--I know you "get" this.

So, I must have asked you this before, but what actually caused this physical ailment (excuse me if I'm repeating the question...)? Was it a blunt trauma accident? A fall? A physical strain? It helps if you're specific as to cause.

Are you taking any other painkillers besides the NSAID? I don't think this is off topic, and I do think I can find you some other options--topical and otherwise--for the pain reduction.

katiebelle2882
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/09/26/trans...n.ap/index.html

this is interesting, and i dont think its a bad thing. force mcdonals to do away with it for the love of god!
erinjane
I think it's very good. Abuot a year and a half ago I didn't know what the hell trans fat was and I remember big debates going on here and I thought, "Just don't buy something with trans fat." But christ, it's hard to avoid. I'm trying really hard now, but last week I went to go get something leafy and green to have with a later dinner after class, and my little corner grocery store had nothing but broccoli, so I picked up frozen brussel sprouts. I got home and saw they had trans fat. I mean, BRUSSEL SPROUTS. I think they should be outlawed because they serve no purpose but to make us fat and it's hard to get away from them.
amilita
How can brussels sprouts have trans fat? Were they in some kind of sauce, erin?

I just got back from the gym where I did some elliptical and treadmill...and I got a new, expanded class schedule, so I think there may be a yoga class I can go to weekly. Yay!

And I'm eating the corn chowder I made this morning. Yay, again! Also, I started my moontime, so my appetite doesn't feel so crazed anymore. Whew.

I'm still gonna post those recipies, chacha. I won't forget.
erinjane
They were in a "butter" sauce. But still, I didn't even think to look at the store.
_octinoxate
Chacha, I agree wholeheartedly about the need to look at health problems in the context of the entire person/ entire life. As for the rest of what you're saying... there's a lot to comment on there and to think about, but I'm not in the right mood for it just now-- I think journaling may be in order later to work more on grappling with the issues surrounding this injury.

Warning: long-winded description of my injury follows for chacha. I'm sure it will bore everyone else to death! smile.gif

My injury started about four months ago when I was doing lots of kickboxing and dance. I would get a little bit of an ache in my right knee (and occasionally the left, too) after working out. In the past, this had happened a few times after a strenous hike but went away on its own after a few days. But this spring it was more persistent (although mild in intensity) so I finally got it checked out. The first doc I went to gave me a really rough exam which gave me intense pain thereafter, and also prescribed a physical therapy program that made things worse (gave me tendonitis in addition to the patella femoral pain). I went back to another doctor, did a different PT regime, and took tons of ibuprofen all the time, and things at least stopped worsening, and the tendonitis got a bit better. Still, overall my knees were bad (worse than before I'd ever seen the doc, which is the case to this day) so I saw an orthopedic surgeon who tried steroid iontophoresis, which didn't seem to work and also made me uncomfortable. I quit that a bit more than halfway through that treatment and went to acupuncture and herbs. It's gotten a wee bit better since then, but I still have bad days and it's still not even back to the pre-doctor state of things.

I'm not taking any painkillers besides the NSAIDs (and have laid off those the last 2 days to try to heal my stomach). For the pain and inflammation I'm doing ice, that menthol/camphor stuff, hot baths, a Golden Flower herbal formula for joints, ginger, and evening primrose. Oh, and when I go to my favorite tea house I do rock oolong and sometimes a little dessert that has mugwort. Anything you would suggest to add to this?
chachaheels
Octi--If you were my patient you would have already received a nice, pristine journal from me. I am so proud of you for coming to the conclusion yourself (though I have been told my journals rock).

First, to support the joints: yeah, cod liver oil and coconut oil. Every day. Seriously. Cod liver oil's got to be pure and from a northern, cold water wild fish. Take capsules and be happy. At least 4 teaspoons of extra virgin, first cold pressed coconut oil. This combination is incredibly healing for joint pains, rheumatic pains, muscle aches...so please do take it if you've, uh, quietly ignored this advice before. (Said with love!!)

Then, instead of using the camphor rub, I would like to suggest some alternatives:
(hey, are you in England? I can't see cause the info disappears under everyone's avatar when you're posting)

For topical treatment of pain resulting from over exertion:
Arnica cream in a rosewater base--my preferred brand is made by a Belgian company named Unda--if you're in the UK you can get a very good quality arnica cream from Helios homeopathic pharmacy in Tunbridge Wells (but it's sold everywhere). Another good option (but it's a gel, so it must only be used on unbroken skin) is Atrosan Gel by Vogel.

Rub that in when you have pain. It will not create heat or cold, but the arnica is a good pain reliever topically in your case. The cream is very portable and easy to take with you to workouts, or wherever you might need it.

Internally, I would suggest a low potency dose of Ruta Graveolens in a 12c or 30c potency.
Take three of the tiny pillules under the tongue and allow them to dissolve--this is how you take one dose.
You can use this once a day for, let's say, 5 days in a row, then stop dosing. Wait and watch for the results.

If at any time, you experience either improvement (pain relief) or aggravation (intensified pain) do not continue repeating the dose. Allow the medicine to take it's course and wait for your pain symptoms to return before redosing. If you've experienced aggravation, stop dosing and let me know what's happening so we can decide what to do next.

This is a pretty much "first aid" dose for severe tendonitis--it's a great remedy for things like severe tennis elbow and repetitive strain ailments that inflame the tendons (as opposed to the muscles).
It should help a great deal. Adding Magnesium Phosphorica tissue salts, in either a 6X or 12X potency, 4 pills under the tongue 4 times a day for a month or so will also greatly reduce any nerve pain, soreness, and spasmodic cramping tendencies in your achy body (works like magic on menstrual cramps, too).

Re: Trans fats: you wouldn't believe the myriad ways trans can be legally hidden as ingredients in food, and how they can be "called something else" and sold even with the label saying "Contains No Trans Fats!!"

Cooking your own brussels sprouts with a little butter, some minced bacon, a little bit of minced garlic, some celtic sea salt, and some really good balsamic vinegar or fresh lemon juice...and fuck the trans fats: who needs 'em?
_octinoxate
Chacha, no, I'm not in England-- why? Is camphor a typical Brit remedy, or something?

I'll try the arnica. I actually bought some a few months ago and didn't get real results, but maybe I didn't give it long enough. I'll go with the coconut oil too (can I use that in cooking? Does that count?), but I'm wondering if there's any substitute for the cod liver oil, as I'm a vegetarian.

As for the Ruta, I'm not comfortable with that, as I poked around and found a poisonous plant manual that included Ruta and said to call Poison Control immediately if it's ingested. I understand that your medical tradition and that of mainstream Western society are based on very different principles, and I'm not willing to assert which is more spot-on... and because of that, I'm not going to go too far out on a limb either way, but just stay conservative.

Thanks for the advice.
pepper
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060927/ap_on_...t_trans_fat_ban

have you seen this? omg, amazing.
write some letters girls, let them know you think it's a marvy idea. once it hits the mainstream there will be a flurry of companies rushing to follow suit.
imagine, Guilt-Free nutella! yow.
_octinoxate
(Just wanted to pop my head in and say hello to all the healthy busties while I eat brown sugar out of the bag, with a spoon. Yes.)

I don't know how I feel about this trans-fat ban idea. I'm not too fired up about it either way, because I don't eat at the restaurants it would affect (those with $20 mil and up revenues). Seems like a prudent idea, even if intrusive.
chachaheels
Octi, please allow me to explain:

Ruta Graveolens in homeopathic dilution (those potency numbers I gave you--12c or 30c) has been diluted in a serial dilution and succussion process until there is none of the actual material substance left in the medicine. You will not be taking a raw dose of herb (which, in reality, has been taken in raw form for literally thousands apon thousands of years anyway, as a medicine, and never hurt anyone. No matter--the medicine I suggested is not a raw or crude dose). There is no risk of poisoning from the homeopathic medicine.

Either way, it's up to you. The Magnesium Phosphorica tissue salt I suggested is not a poison, it's simply a diluted and succused mineral that is extremely bioavailable, so try that out if you like. There are 12 tissue salts all together and each of them is absolutely vital to the body's health--but they cannot be obtained from food. You can use these, if you like, to strengthen all the tissue in the body and help you get better more quickly. PM me if you're interested, I'd need more information about your case to make some good suggestions--but the mag.phos. is a great start for pain.

I suggested Cod Liver oil because it has very high concentrations of vitamins A and D (the real vitamins, not synthetics) from the fish liver; as well it has many enzymes and other factors which act as catalysts for full spectrum nutrient absorption. Unfortunately, there is no vegetable source food which does this kind of necessary job in the body, and I do wish there were. The only other thing I can think of which would do as well is raw milk high fat butter, but you would have to eat large quantities a day (and the fish liver oil will still provide more A and D as storing those nutrients seems to be one of the liver's big jobs), and it's still an animal fat. The coconut oil can be used in cooking but you should still eat a quantity of it to obtain any benefit--and do be picky about the oil quality as well. I encourage you to add it to smoothies, hot drinks like tea or hot chocolate, or use it as a spread as well as in usual cooking methods. When it's taken along with the cod liver oil, they work synergistically--but if the coconut oil's all you can do, I highly recommend that as a support you can use as a vegetarian.

Unless I specifically state the use of herbs (I don't ever give a potency number out with those) I'm using homeopathics, and one big reason why homeopathy was developed was to create a way to use medicines which are poisons in a way which eliminates their destructive properties but heightens their curative properties (as it was so clear that the conventional medical tradition's use of raw, crude "medicines" were actually killing more patients than helping them. See, in every form of medicine, the most curative substances are often the most poisonous). Though many homeopathic medicines are made from herb sources, they are also made from mineral and animal sources as well.

Homeopathy is not the same thing as herbal medicine even though they may share a few of the same source materials; they are very different medical treatments.

Still, never go with something you're not comfortable with.

Banning trans fats at McDonalds: hmm...where would we start, and what would they ever feature on a menu after that?

All the fats used in the food preparation are hydrogenated vegetable fats
They feed their cattle unspecified "grains" (cattle are supposed to eat grasses--big difference) as well as waste food products from the baking industry (trans-fat laden cakes, cookies, breads, etc) made into "cakes" specifically for cattle feedlots...so we're getting meat from animals raised on trans fats
The trans fats are in all the breads, muffins, pies, cookies they sell (like they'd use real butter in those foods when it would cost so much)
All the prepared condiments are loaded with hydrolyzed proteins and MSG--more ways of disguising "trans fats" in food ingredient lists
The eggs and milk used in preparing foods like their breakfast sandwiches are powdered and reconstituted--which means the fats and natural cholesterols in them have been oxidized. That not only makes them as deadly as trans fats, it also makes them capable of initiating cancer in cells in the body.
The "milk" in their "shakes"? All edible oil product. 100% trans fat, with MSG (artificial flavouring) and high fructose corn syrup for sweetness. The "cheese" in their menu--all edible oil product too. It should not be edible.
Even the orange juice they use is from concentrate, it's pasteurized, and never fresh--and it has to be stable and never separate--so its solids are kept in suspension using processed soy protein and soluble pectin. That may not signify "trans fats", but it does expose you to a pasteurization resistant mold and pasteurization resistant E Coli, which survives the entire processing regimen.

The coffee might be safe, as long as you can be assured that it is not reheated (which wouldn't make the oils in the coffee "trans", just rancid--and that is very bad). And I see in the US McDonald's is actually whoring out Paul Newman's good name as a producer of organic and fair trade coffee they're now selling in an effort to make themselves look more beneficent by association. Poor Paul Newman.

The trans fats aren't just in the fries in fast food restaurants, they are an integral part of every food item on the menu; if we promote the banning of trans fats in food preparation without demanding some changes in ingredient disclosure for each food, corporations like McDonald's will just "rename" the fats they use so that they're in apparent "compliance" with the law. They won't have to make any changes to their foods whatsoever. Consumers end up feeling like they're eating better stuff, when they are, in fact, not.

I just love how the article in pepper's link goes on about removing "artificial trans fats" (the real ones are okay?) from shortening, margarines, and cooking oils....well, since all of those feature denatured or partially hydrogenated fats by definition, there is NO WAY to create a trans fat free shortening, margarine, or cooking oil! Unless you used lard instead of shortening, butter instead of margarine, and changed your way of cooking so you could use better oils. I get the feeling the "ban" would make the plastic cheese and toxic milk, bread, and meat products legally OK. What's the point?

The most effective petition against McDonald's food? Education...and taking your business elsewhere.
maddy29
chacha-as usual, you are rockin' my world!!!
(not in a sexy way though smile.gif )

"The eggs and milk used in preparing foods like their breakfast sandwiches are powdered and reconstituted--which means the fats and natural cholesterols in them have been oxidized. That not only makes them as deadly as trans fats, it also makes them capable of initiating cancer in cells in the body."

ok, i justified eating their yummy biscuits because i was like "well, eggs are good because of the omegas"- but obviously that's not true! gak! this si good though, because i feel guilty enough giving them money, but i was so liking those gross greasy biscuits. mmmm.
maddy29
ok, so i haven't gone to the gym in two weeks sad.gif i totally lost motivation, i don't know what happened. i've been sleeping in until l8 and it's great. but actually, it's not. my body feels sore and i feel cranky! and i know it's from not working out. i did yoga yesterday which was great but i'm frustrated with my lazy ass self! GRRRR.
chachaheels
Last night, I decided that my world is in need of a much deeper and more engrossing perspective than the one which can be provided by "reality tv". I've binged, lately, on Rockstar SuperNova, and now more recently (and much more shamefully) on America's Next Top Model, and boy, is my digestion suffering. So I watched public television, where I found a great serial documentary on Andy Warhol.

Warhol apparently spent his (I think, incredibly talented) life believing that he was a failure, that he was unattractive and undesirable, and he was painfully, stuntedly shy. He'd mount these amazing exhibits of his some of the most groundbreaking graphics work of his time, and no one bought anything. And this happened to him repeatedly.

After a series of these artistic catastrophes, he said, "So What?" and wrote about how he was amazed it took him as long as it did to learn the trick of saying "So what?" about bad things that would happen to him, or bad things that he'd done. It was an amazing accomplishment because saying "So what?" gave him complete permission to just keep going, to start over, to forge ahead. I was so inspired by this piece of Warhol's writing that I have decided to adapt the saying to my own dismal views of my own performances.

So, Maddy...I encourage you to ask yourself "So what?" when you start berating yourself for your gym discipline (or lack thereof) and just go back to the gym and be done with it, like the little "break" in your self-dedication didn't happen at all.
_octinoxate
In a similar vein as what chacha said: I heard an interview with some environmental scientist the other day who was saying "the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is today." Seems like we could modify and apply *that* one to our own personal oversights and shortcomings too, eh?

However, I really came in here just to tell chacha that I went and bought coconut oil today smile.gif I know that will make you happy... I think I'll bake cookies with it tomorrow (I can do that, right? Just sub it in for butter? That's what the jar indicates...)

Also, thanks for clearing up the ruta graveolens issue. I did check the natural foods store for it tonight in case I decide down the road I'm comfortable with trying it out, but they only had in as part of a tincture (right word?) that combined like 10 different ingredients, and I had no idea what the other ones were or if they're right for me. (It was a "joint health" formula.)

Healthy vibes to all...
chachaheels
Yay Octi! Yes, you can use it instead of the butter as it does have a similar texture for the baking mixture you're putting together--or you can combine the two ingredients if you want less of a coconut flavour (though, heck, coconut flavour's so nice). Don't forget to add it to other foods as I suggested below. I know you have a hard time believing it, but coconut oil's a great food to aid weight loss. Oh, yes it is.

The "combo" remedies that call themselves "homeopathic" are NOT homeopathic medicines. They can legally use the term but again, education is key in all matters having to do with health...it's a marketing gimmick to exploit consumer ignorance. One remedy at a time, and as little as possible of that remedy--2 fundamental laws in homeopathy. The combo remedies just aren't safe, they've never been tested in the body (like real homeopathic medicines are) so avoid them. Another piece of information: the "tinctures" are often more expensive than the pillules. If you prefer liquid forms, you can do just like homeopaths do and dissolve the pillules in water, which costs you nothing and actually works a little better than just taking them dry. Good choice to leave that "joint health combo" on the shelf where it belongs.

That being said, I've got to find you a source for the Ruta. Let me know where you are in a PM and I'll locate a close-by retailer or at least a reasonably convenient on-line source.
_octinoxate
I had a bit of coconut oil on a (hemp) waffle today and it was lovely. Next step, baking my cookies (I'm thinking I'll do some powerhouse healthy cookies: oatmeal, whole wheat flour, flax seed, coconut oil... plus of course the yummy bits like chocolate chips and vanilla and almond extracts). Then I think I'll find some recipes using coconut oil. I'll post 'em here if I find some good ones.

In hot tea, though? Doesn't the oil separate from the tea in a nasty layer on top?

I'll PM you with my location.
chachaheels
Sometimes, but some don't find it so nasty. Try it in hot cocoa if you like--that's pretty good, too (and you can sweeten the cocoa with good honey or stevia).

I have a number of coconut oil recipes handy. I'll post a few here.
flanker_ji
Amilita, thanks so much for the recipie! Can't wait to try it!
lunasol
I just bought some coconut oil yesterday and am currently eating a spoonful of it in my oatmeal with pecans and a splash of cream. yuuuuuummmm.

I have to admit, I was a bit taken aback by the consistency - it's more like butter than olive or canola oil, which I wasn't expecting. And it's so coconut-y! I could definitely see using it in stirfries, but not so much for, say scrambling eggs or sauteeing veggies (maybe spinach, though....hmmmm).

I must admit, there's a part of me that feels a bit nervous about eating cocunut oil...
chachaheels
But if you do like the taste of it, it's really good in other foods--you can use butter to cook eggs in, or a combination of butter and olive oil if the coconut oil's not to your liking, and eat the coconut oil in drinks or tea or cocoa, or some of the suggestions below.

Coconut smoothie?

1 ripe banana
1/2 whole coconut milk
2 tbsp. maple syrup
2 egg yolks (yup: they're raw, so use the free range pasture fed chicken eggs)
1 tsp. pure vanilla etract

puree all the ingredients in a blender or processor; add water to adjust consistency to taste.

Or--here's a recipe for coconut granola (sounds amazing, I've not tried it and won't because I'm actually using the coconut oil to lose weight; this food is one of the foods anyone who's trying to lose weight has to eat in great moderation (way too many carbs in one food serving). But if you're athletic and actually use the carbs for the quick energy, it's perfect for you (and it has a ton of protein too).

Coconut granola

8 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1 1/2 cup whole yogurt
2 cups water
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup coconut sprinkles or freeze dried fine cut coconut
2 cups chopped "Crispy" nuts (nuts that have been soaked for 24 hours and then dehydrated)--see below
1 cup raisins

Mix oats, butter, coconut oil, yogurt, and water together in a large bowl. Pat down, cover with a plate, and leave on the kitchen counter for 2 days. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Place honey, salt, cinnamon in a small bowl and set in a small pot of simmering water until honey warms and becomes thin. Mix the honey with the oat mixture. Place on 2 parchment lined cookie sheets and bake for several hours, until the granola mix is completely dry and crisp. Mix with coconut sprinkles, chopped nuts, and raisins. Store in an airtight container in the fridge, serve with whole raw milk or cream diluted with water.

To make crispy nuts:

4 cups raw pecans, walnut halves, almonds, macadamias, peanuts, or cashews
1 tbsp. seal salt
filtered water.

Place nuts in a bowl with salt and cover with water. cover loosely and leave at room temperature about 8 hours (note: soak cashews for no longer than 6 hours). Drain in a colander and strew onto a stainless-steel baking pan cookie sheet. Plcae in an oven set at 150 degrees F and let them dehydrate for 12 to 24 hours until they're crisp and dry. Or: use a dehydrator.

To make your own coconut sprinkles:

use finely cut, dessicated coconut that has been unsweetened;
mix with maple syrup

spread the mixture over a cookie sheet as above for the nuts and use the oven or a dehydrator to dry out the coconut over a period of time. You can then store the coconut in its dry form, crush it up, and use it in all kinds of foods as you wish.
anna k
I hate it when I succumb to my weaknesses and end up gaining a few pounds. It hurts on my back and makes me feel ugly and uncomfortable.

I don't drink soda, I don't eat candy besides gum and mints, I have small-sized popcorn at the movies, I drink water all the time, I walk a lot, I do Pilates and attend beginners' ballet classes. I stopped eating pizza because I can get addicted to it and gain weight.

I can't even handle eating ice cream. I get addicted to it and gain weight. I can just eat sorbet now.

To feel better, I drink green tea and clean out my body so I don't feel fat or sick again. I'm 140 lbs at 5'4 (I'd like to be 125, even if it's much slimmer and smaller), and also have a D-sized chest, which adds to my weight.

I hate that I have to watch what I eat because I gain weight easily, and when I think I can handle an indulging, I end up gaining a few pounds. Blech.
chachaheels
Lunasol, I understand why it's so "nervy" to eat coconut oil--we've been told it's bad for so long. But it isn't. Like any fat, if it's purely extracted and its from coconuts grown without harmful chemicals which we'd end up concentrating in our own bodies, then the oil has plenty of beneficial properties and it is full of nutrients that are truly necessary.

If you understand weight gain as something the body does in order to protect itself, rather than a "mistake" the body makes (really, our bodies rarely make "mistakes"), then it's clear that weight gain takes place as a result of a nutrient deficiency. We only store fat when our bodies feel they are starving--they make reserves of fat in a last ditch effort to try and keep the body alive. This is the reason why cutting out calories forces weight loss to take place only temporarily (most of the weight lost, by the way, is protein mass, not fat). Inevitably, the weight goes on much more quickly and stays on much more permanently after the calorie reduction part of the diet ends. A lot of people have found, much to their chagrin, that the weight gain begins even when they are eating the reduced calories--it is not unusual, for example, for people who've lost a lot of weight eating something like 800 calories a day to start gaining weight at that amount, too. It's like the body says "that's it, starvation is over"--so it slows the metabolism right down. It does this by limiting the function of glands like the thyroid and pituitary, it forces the body to produce more insulin partly because the receptors for the hormone no longer react to it properly...and before you know it, you're gaining weight and eating literally nothing. So calorie restriction is not the way to lose weight permanently: but it's an extremely efficient way to make sure your hormone balance throughout your body will suffer from the lack of important nutrients so much that you will always be storing fat instead of using it as a primary fuel until you can rectify the organ damage which has resulted.

Adding the coconut oil to the diet is a way to acquire many of the nutrients we need, but we've been forced to live without. Coconut oil has a beneficial effect on the thyroid gland, for example--for some reason, something about the saturated fat in the oil can help the thyroid to regain full function, and that makes a massive difference in your metabolism.

It's one part of a concerted effort to restore the essential nutrients to the body, which will allow it to function optimally. The other parts of this kind of food plan is to eliminate a huge amount of the processed, denatured food nutrients--the refined grains we find in processed breads and foods--which makes up so much of the north American diet. If we return to eating the whole, pure foods which haven't been destroyed by processing, we can acquire all the food nutrients we need, as well as all the enzymes and catalysts we need from those foods so that we can use the nutrients up instead of storing them, or having them negatively affect our bodies. If you cut out the low fat, high sugar, highly processed foods most of us eat too much of in our diets, and return to the higher fat, real foods (organic would be ideal, but even just going back to the full fat versions of things like milk removes a lot of the really harmful foods from our diets) we can lose weight simply because our bodies will not be acting as if they're starved, and need to reserve fat for our survival.

It won't make a difference if you're eating a lot of refined and processed stuff and adding coconut oil to the mix; but if you make more of an effort to add things like soaked whole grains, beans, and nuts to your diet, and things like lactofermented foods as well--and go back to supplying the body which much needed saturated fats (while limiting the polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats from vegetable sources) then the difference will be significant. The diet I'm following is one that's focused on weight loss but also on restoring health to the body--and it's a 2000 to 2500 calorie diet. I can't eat that much, and I don't really want to eat that much...but I'm finding that just adding the coconut oil and cod liver oil to my diet (without even making too many changes, as I don't eat a lot of starchy foods and I do eat meat, fish, and dairy) has made a difference for me. I never have hypoglycemic symptoms anymore; I don't feel like I need to snack, I don't have cravings, per se, anymore; and the weight's coming off.

The coconut oil's the least of the effort--finding the food sources and the time to do it all is a bit of a challenge, but it's manageable.
lunasol
Chacha, thanks for the response and the boostering! I actually did cut out processed foods this summer and have added back in stuff like full-fat cheese, etc. My main problem is now that I'm back in school (I'm a grad student) and am busy, like, all the time. I'm working it out though. Yesterday I took some of your advice and brought cheese, apples, and walnuts to school for a snack, along with my lunch of chicken and salad (with feta cheese, yum) and that worked well. The only problem is keeping it up.

But I figure that even if I can't bring lunch every day, if I bring those snacks then I'll be a lot better off. And I'v been doing good with cooking my own breakfast and dinner, so there's that.
flyingfrog
hey luna, when I was in grad school last year (and had a long commute via public transport), I swore by healthy portansnacks. even bringing along some of the day's food is better for you and your wallet... my backpack favorites were:

-lunabars or kashi golean crispy bars (fiber, protein, not too much chemical crap like some of the bars out there)

-homemade trail mix in baggies! I'd throw in about 2 or 3 TBS of whatever raw nuts/seeds I had on hand, a small handful of unsweetened dried fruit, and a larger handful of a crunchy, all-natural cereal. I'd mix and match, but I looove the combo of raw cashews, organic apricots, and cinnamon puffins cereal... throw in some dryroasted soybeans, if you like em...

-I started making batches of whole-grain berry muffins on sunday evenings so I'd have several to wrap and pack during the week. having a fresh homemade baked treat after class is kind of surprising in an awesome way.

-a thin schmear of nut butter on a coupla all-natural graham crackers from the healthfood store. sandwiched and packed carefully to prevent shattering. mmm.

so, ugh. my body's not happy. and neither are my skinny jeans. travel, work stress, financial worries, and a couple bad colds have played havoc with my eating and exercising habits this fall... I guess it is finally making me frustrated enough to, well, post here for the first time. I'm trying my damndest - and I KNOW what I need to do and what I need not to do - but it's just not happening. I've been skipping the gym at the slightest provocation, and slacking on workouts when I do go. the external stressors seem to have pegged themselves neatly to my snacking mechanism, which is set on a hair trigger. spat with mr. frog? cereal! the tiniest social slight, real or imaginary? peanut butter! two hours on the phone with the student loan company? peanut butter AND cereal! work deadline fast approaching? what's in the cupboard?

eep. ok, time to turn the complaining into a constructive question: what are your favorite tricks for short-circuiting the stress-to-snack connection, especially when you know you know better? I mean, I'm not eating fast food or junk food; the majority of foods I eat are healthful, whole, and organic when I can afford it. but, y'know, it's not just what you eat. it's how and how much.

this makes me think that the saying 'stress is eating away at me' is pretty hilarious. cause I've been eating away at the stress, and so far, it's not helping.
chachaheels
First thing first: we all have to learn to make time for ourselves. If we don't make the time, things we need to do for ourselves will never get done. Prioritize your needs above other things or everything will suffer.

Next: If you're skipping workouts cause you hate working out, change what you're doing for your workouts to something you really enjoy. It will feel more like an indulgence and ritual for yourself. You're less likely to skip out on that. Discipline is no replacement for simply bad design: so don't just choose a workout offhand (the bad design part) and expect yourself to start applying discipline to the routine so you'll love it. Design the workout so that it revolves around what you love and you'll never need discipline to succeed with it.

Flying frog, it sounds like things are stressing you out so I'd look into taking some B vitamins to supplement your diet. A methylcobalamin drop supplement (1000mcg/day) is a good boost to the whole body's ability to handle stress--combine that with folic acid, and a mixed B vitamin complex pill or drop, and you'll have a solid nutrient support. You must supplement the B vitamins if you're a vegetarian; if you're a meat eater, you'll get a lot of B vitamins from red meat. If you want to get your B vitamins from your grains, insist on soaking your whole grains and nuts before cooking or drying them, make sure they're whole grains, and choose high protein grains and nuts but eat them sparingly. Breakfast cereals that are extruded (flakes, puffs, most granola, etc) these are all almost nutrientless, so it's a good idea to avoid them and choose things like rolled oats made into oatmeal (which is a vehicle for butter, maple syrup or sucanat or honey, and cream! What's not to like?) or granola you make yourself using soaked and crisped nuts, the best fruits of your choosing, and whole, protein rich grains. All of these foods are extremely carb rich--which is great for a lot of quick energy if you're really active...but if you're not, do remember to eat more protein rich foods and good fats with fewer carbs if you want to stabilize blood sugar and keep going without feeling like you've got to snack or eat something sugary inbetween meals. I've also posted about the lack of good nutrients in those supposedly healthy snack bars, too--and I think packing a high quality organic chocolate bar, some nuts, raw milk cheese, and sliced sausage (or fresh baked good, great chocolate, nuts, fresh fruit, and a veggie snack like nut butters or hummus with crackers or fresh veggies) are a far better idea nutritiously, and if you limit the use of the nuts and nut butters they're great foods to pack if you're trying to lose weight.

I love your ideas for preparing and then packing fresh baked goodies as a treat and a pick me up after class--you're right, it is surprisingly indulgent and encouraging. When I think of how much "snacks" cost at schools, and how awful that stuff actually is--mediocre taste too...I wonder why more people don't try anything else just out of sheer boredom. No matter how much money you spend on really good organic foods and ingredients, you couldn't possibly spend as much as what fast food/prepared foods at school costs you, and none of it is worth it.

And finally, I totally agree: it's not "what are you eating?" we should ask of the overweight: it's "what's eating you?" if we really want to know what's causing the weight gain.
anna k
I hate feeling so crappy. I've been drinking green tea for weeks, drink water all the time, and don't eat much junk food except for frozen yogurt, which now my body can't even handle if I eat too much of it. I switched to Eden soy milk, and I eat carrot sticks dipped in hummus and peanut butter on celery sticks as snacks that I prefer. I've been doing this for nearly a month, and my stomach still stores fat that hurts on my back. I do my ballet exercises (lots of Pilates and balancing to stretch out my core), but I can still feel sluggish and fat. My sister says it's all in my head, but when I gain a few pounds I can feel it in my back and it makes me physically uncomfortable.

It also doesn't help that when I'm stressed or feeling sick my body gets bloated and makes me feel worse. I have a double-D chest and am always stretching my back to feel closer to my bones and skeleton rather than let fat rest on me. It's a goddamn pain in the ass to have to keep so active and not be able to handle sugar or sweets lest I get lazy and eat them regularly.

Sometimes I have an hourglass shape that I adore, when I really love my body and feel proud of my looks. Other times when I feel heavier and sluggish, I feel sick and angry. Even if nobody else notices, I notice it and it makes me feel big inside of myself.
chachaheels
Anna K, soy milk is really best avoided, as are most soy products (though miso, tofu, which are fermented, are okay if they're organic). Otherwise, soy is goitrogenic: it has a negative effect on the thyroid gland which will cause weight gain, general fatigue, body aches, and a cascade of other problems as hormone balances shift once the thyroid gland underfunctions.

Why are you eating it? Are you vegan or vegetarian? There are better whole foods to eat which will enable you to lose weight and still get the best nutrition.
anna k
I had thought that soy milk was healthy, as it wasn't as pastuerized as regular milk.
katiebelle2882
why dont you do cardio? that always makes me feel like my system has flushed out a bit. besides its better then pilates and stuff i would think if you want to lose a few
chachaheels
It's not about pasteurization. Soy as it is grown and processed is just not good for you. Most of it is genetically engineered, it's then processed into fake foods with little nutritional value, and on top of everything it causes organ damage if it's used for any length of time.

Tofu, tamari, miso, other traditionally used and grown forms of soy were always part of a diet that included meat and fish; used this way, it's safe and a nice addition to a nutritious diet with lots of variety. But if you're eating soy milk, soy beef patties, textured vegetable protein, soy cheeses, soy substitute foods, you are eating mostly GMO, goitrogenic soy, which was never on anyone's menu, anywhere in the world until now, when huge agribusiness multi-nationals are making a fortune trying to get naturopaths to tell you to eat it and be healthy.

Drink real milk, preferably organic and raw, if you want milk, cheese, cream, and yogurts to be part of your diet. If you can't get raw, consume the full fat milk if at all possible, as it is nutritionally superior and much safer than "low-fat" varieties.
ms.gb
what about those of us who are allergic to all dairy products?

i've tried rice milk...bleh.

and i'm also allergic to most nuts.

soymilk has let me enjoy cereal once again. just my 2 cents.
anna k
There's some cardio videos I've done that I like a lot, like Elle MacPherson's video with Karen Voight and The Method's All-In-One tape (ballet, upbeat dancing, Pilates, yoga). I don't have the tapes with me now, so I can't do them. I'll check some out at the library for good picks.

I used to be a vegetarian, but I grew sick of soy foods. It tasted like rubber and didn't have any meat to it, and I actually lost weight when I ate meat as opposed to the soy/tofu products.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.