Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
_octinoxate
congrats on turbomann's job!

i can post a description of my butt exercises later if u want... but i think for most people (eg, people w/o my knee problems), simple squats work great.
candycane_girl
Congratulations on getting a new bike octi! I got a bike last year and it was like being a little kid all over again, just riding around and having fun.
_octinoxate
thanks candy! Yes, that's exactly how it feels. Fun, and young, and free... and I love the SPEED! Can't get enough of it.

Good deed of the day is giving my old bike to this thai guy I met at the park who recently had his bike stolen (and got a bit roughed up in the process).

Wanted to pop in and let y'all know about a sort of cool tool I just used for the first time: mypyramidtracker.gov It lets you enter everything you ate for the day and then analyzes your macro- and micro- nutrient intakes and compares them to recommendations for your age, gender, etc. Cool. Only downside (and for me it's a big one) is that it doesn't have a whole lot of "ethnic" foods in the database. It's more mainstream Americana stuff, plus raw ingredients for things. But might be helpful to some. I see they also have a physical activity analysis program on there.

On another note: I am so happy I just got my period. It's way late-- and I've been way hungry, horny, and break-out-y! This will definitely help with getting back on track with healthy eating.
bunnyb
I'm not sure whether this is the best thread to ask, but does anyone have experience with Vitamin B12 deficiency? I had blood-tests taken last week and that's the diagnosis (it's causing numbness in hands and feet and fatigue); I've been told to boost my diet with B12 rich foods to naturally boost levels and if that doesn't work I've to be given injections. Does anyone have suggestions of foods? I've been told red meat and green veg, neither of which I have a problem with but I've also read that peaches, dairy produce (I don't eat eggs) and some nuts may be good sources too - is that correct?
LoveMyPugs
QUOTE(_octinoxate @ Mar 17 2007, 02:10 PM) *

Pugs, I'm glad you're feeling good about the jump roping! It sounds like a fun workout. (It's not hard on your knees? You said in the other thread that you have hyperextension issues

Octinoxate - I jumped on Thursday (day 1) and Friday (day 2) then Saturday when I woke up the arches of my feet were very sore and tight. To be honest, my whole body just ached (which means it's working). I don't know about anyone else but when I'm sore and I keep working out I get frustrated and end up giving up. So, I decided to take a day off and heal alittle. I was going to rest Saturday and start again Sunday but Sunday morning came and we had to rush out early in the morning to help so friends and I didn't get to it. This morning I just forgot to grab my rope and take it with me because I was rushing out the door with Mr. Pug. Tomorrow my schedule will be back to normal and I plan on jumping.

As far as my knees, the first day I was doing kind of a right foot left foot jump. I found that I was kicking my left leg out behind me and my knee was turning at a strange angle (left knee is my good knee). The next day my left knee was sore but my right was fine. blink.gif So on Friday I did a two feet together hoop and it there was a lot less jaring on my knees. I just have to remember to not lock my knees back. I'm going to continue doing the two feet hop. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

Thanks for asking!

Mr. Pug and I were thinking about buying an eliptical. Does anyone have one of these?
chachaheels
Fish and grains also have B vitamins, bunny--and in particular certain yeasts also provide B's.

One thing I'd suggest to preclude the injections is to supplement with a daily B12 dose. You can get very easy-to-take forms of methylcobalamin (the most readily bioavailable form of B12) in drops, sublingual tablets, and ready to dissolve strips that you just put on your tongue. They're often combined with B6 in order to ensure the B12 supplementation doesn't hide a folic acid deficiency, and they also often come in 1000mcg/day doses, which would be the equivalent to what you'd get in your weekly B12 shots.

You can also have your pharmacist compound a B12 transdermal cream--another way of opting out of the shots (the shots are great but they can be painful because they are repeated so often; the creams are now made up because so many children are terrified of the shots).

If you're interested in the grain sources, the full grains which are soaked contain B vitamins that you can actually use (the soaking removes any phytic acid which keeps you from their benefit)--but things get ridiculous when these grains are processed. Some good sources to consider are rolled oats, wheat germ oil, and breads made from sprouted (as opposed to processed) grains. There's such a thing on the market as Ezekiel bread, I don't know if it's available where you are--you can find it in the freezer (it has no preservatives) and many people like its taste. The grains are whole and actually sprouted so the nutrient content is naturally amplified, and it's very easy to digest. Otherwise, if you can find a baker who likes to use a starter for breadmaking and is very picky about the types of grain flours they use (they avoid enriched and super-depleted refined flours, which often are at the root of these B vitamin deficiencies), then you will find a whole grain artesanal bread that will naturally give you a B vitamin boost. Artesanal breads are costlier but they taste so much better and provide you with a lot more, too.

Yeast sources for B vitamins include beer (so many people love that) and brewer's yeast. I know of a supplement product called "Magnelevures" made by a European company called UNDA which combines water and yeasts together to make a very easy-to-take supplement that is rich with B vitamins. UNDA's based in Belgium but they sell products all over Europe and North America--I can help you locate sources if you like.

Bunny I'm so glad the deficiency was detected--people who begin to supplement feel so much better (most do a regime of daily supplements, nutritional changes in the diet, and sometimes even injections until they get to a level where they're no longer depleted). I hope that's what you experience.
candycane_girl
lovemypugs, I don't own an elliptical but I use them at the gym. They're pretty good, if you ask me. A lot more interesting than just using a treadmill.
turbojenn
LMP - I know stargazer's got an elliptical, so I'm sure you could ask her some questions!

chacha - thanks for all the B-info!! I love all the info you share here, always good to file away in the back of my brain!
_octinoxate
Pugs, I used to use ellipticals at the gym and they're awesome-- they're a really efficient workout (in terms in burning calories, getting heart rate up, etc.) while being super gentle and low-impact. Awesome awesome workout choice. Sounds like a great investment (as long as you think you'll stick to it of course/ that it sounds fun and appealing).

Re: your knees and arches: have you ever thought about using insoles? Custom would be perfect (but expensive if you don't have insurance that will cover it), but even over-the-counters could help a lot.

Re: being sore: You are doing EXACTLY the right thing to take it easy if you're sore!! It's bad for you and counterproductive to work out when you're already achy. Ache= you tore your muscles apart and now they're rebuilding even stronger. (This is how you increase muscle strength and size!) They MUST have that rest or you'll just keep ripping them apart w/o giving them time to finish the process. Usually you shouldn't do an intense workout on the same muscle group for 72 hours. ...So, enjoy those days off!!!

Hey, question: I just started eating fish for really the first time in my life. I had some tuna that was delicious but I'm real worried about the heavy metal content of such fish. How do any of you negotiate that?
bunnyb
chacha: thank you!

I'll try anything to avoid the shots (phobia of needles) but the change in diet is preferable to supplements (to the nurse and doctor- I think because it's more natural). Funnily enough I finished a course of B12 supplement at the end of last year because my hair was becoming very fine and my hairdresser recommended it; I stopped once my hair became healthier but I didn't imagine that it was a deficiency and that it would start to affect other parts of my body.
annelise
i love fish but i try to focus on fishes like salmon (less mercury concerns) rather than tuna. a year or so ago, there was an article series in the chicago tribune investigating mercury levels in fish, and they found that most US tuna was well over the FDA limits, and the FDA didn't seem to be regulating it.

it's too bad because tuna is such a convenient way to get some fish into your diet! but i have chronic health probs and i figure it's best to be safe with such things.

a dietary question for chachaheels and anyone else who might know about such things--what do you think of the anti-inflammatory diet? my naturopath has talked to me about a few inflammatory foods but i'm reluctant to focus too much on diet (i've been on way too many fad diets for my health that made no difference!). reading about it a bit online, there's conflicting info on whether eggs and soy are ok, or best avoided.

for a long time my diet was wholly focused on getting calories in, since i have appetite problems. now that my weight is better i'm just trying to eat whole foods, natural/organic stuff mostly, with some indulgences. getting strict with an anti-inflammatory diet would really change how i eat, with the avoidance of nightshades and dairy products (i ADORE cheese). i'm not sure what to think.
_octinoxate
annelise, maybe if you don't want to eliminate the purportedly inflammatory foods you love, you could just add in anti-inflammatory foods to counter their effects: try ginger, tumeric, certain healthy oils (can't remember which they are!) and so on... andrew weil, who I adore, has some food info about such things- google his name and "anti-inflammtory", i'm sure you'll hit something good.
turbojenn
I know chacha has mentioned that working with a good homeopath, you can get underneath the sensitivities and really heal your body, instead of going the avoidance route...I haven't done that yet, though. I'm sure chacha could tell you much more about that.

I'm currently on the avoidance path, but I kind of like it because it keeps my diet to what's truly healthy and good for me, and I'm not very tempted most of the time by wheat/sugar/dairy/soy, because I know that in the end, its going to cause me pain (migraines/runny nose/mucusy coughing)...we can chat more on Friday when I stop by, if you want. smile.gif I will say, that in the summertime, when I can get up to the Evanston market, there's a couple of artisan creameries that sell totally organic, grassfed raw cheeses, and I have no problem with those...you pay a lot more, but oooooh, its good!

annelise
the idea of (grassfed etc) raw milk/cheese has really interested me, most recently after reading this article:

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2007/01/19/raw_milk/

turbojenn
Yep, that was a great article. I do find though, that when I buy the yogurt from the creamery, which has to be pastuerized, it doesn't agree with me at all...but the raw cheddar. YUM. Traders Point is the creamery, if you were interested. They sell some of their stuff at New Leaf Grocery on Loyola too...

(apologies for all the local references, annelise and I just discovered that we live in the same 'hood!)
chachaheels
Bunny, if you have a deficiency in B12 you cannot just make dietary changes and bring your requirements in completely with food alone. That is why injections are the most commonly used means of addressing the problem. So you must use supplements as well as food: it's literally impossible to eat the amounts of foods you would need--that's all things being made ideal, in terms of food quality and nutrient content considered--to replace what you've got to keep putting into the body every day.

Also, B12 does not stay in the body on a long term basis--another reason why supplementation must go hand in hand with nutrition changes. Severe B12 deficiencies--and I'd say they are severe if a doctor can actually pick up on it using a test (or even see the signs--that's not something MDs or RNs are trained to do) can be at the root of extremely dangerous chronic diseases, alcoholism among them (many people who are alcoholics are actually craving alcohol--much of it made from grains--because of B vitamin deficiencies).

I think now's the best time to take this route because so many different forms of dosing with the B vitamins now exist on the market, particularly where B12 is concerned. Alternative medicine has made terrific strides in treating chronic diseases like autism spectrum disorders, learning disorders, the so-called "behaviour disorder" syndromes and illnesses through diet and for many children, this means via B12 supplementation--so manufacturers have been forced to create easy to use, pleasantly flavoured, painless, highly absorbable ways for people to get their B12 (and other B's) without having to submit to the daily, weekly, or monthly poke.

I'd definitely change the diet to get full support, but do supplement--you'll feel so much better, and I bet you'll avoid those needles all together.

Can I make another suggestion? To improve your over all health, address that hair loss issue, allow you the best assimilation of all your dietary nutrients, and help with the phobia of needles (not that you then have to go get needles, but at least you're less one anxiety) do try using Silica Biochemical tissue salts on a daily basis for about 3 months or so. You can find them in any health food store--ask for Schuessler or Biochemical Tissue Salts, in a 6X potency; and use 4 tablets (they're tiny) 4 times a day. It will definitely improve nutritional assimilation all around, and your hair and nails will be gorgeous. Hair falling out is one of the signs of B vitamin deficiency--so the need in all the body tissues is already there before the hair starts falling out; the silical will address the problems with nutrient assimilation and you'll get better much faster.

Annelise: I think the anti-inflammatory diet is speculation, at best. So many people love the foods that are supposedly anti-inflammatory (and in fact, we use so many of those substances in homeopathy to address inflammation!) so I just think the approach may sound good but it's really scientifically ungrounded. On top of that, you could add things to your diet which would actually work far, far better than eliiminating foods that "Might" set things off (this never solves the problem). Coconut oil and cod liver oil, taken on a daily basis, is something which can make a huge difference, just for example. If you're already eating a whole food, organic diet now, then I'd suggest adding some fats to your foods to alleviate the symptoms of inflammation you're experiencing. Turbo's advice about the raw milk foods is a great place to start--take her up on the shopping/tasting trip! I would, in a minute.

Another great place for more resources if you're doing a real food/slow food kind of diet:

www.slowfood.com and www.westonaprice.org

happy reading! and eat eggs and stop eating soy (unless you're eating tofu, miso, or tamari).

Buy tuna species like albacore and yellowfin only, and if you want canned tuna only use the kind that is packed in olive oil: the mercury levels in these fish species are a fraction of what exists in the larger, more commercial varieties of tuna. I cannot live without this stuff and I will not, mercury or no; but mercury in all our food is literally unavoidable, so I choose the foods which will have far less of the heavy metal.

And yes, classical homeopathy can make a massive difference and if you want resources and information on what's involved with that medical system, just ask.
annelise
stop eating soy (unless you're eating tofu, miso, or tamari).

what about edamame?

i tried to read up on isoflavones and their effects on female hormones online, but there's so much conflicting evidence and it all just ends up confusing.
turbojenn
I tend to avoid the edamame too, as yummy as it is...I have a hard time digesting the little buggers - the gas is terrifying. BUT, if I do eat tofu, I pick up some made by our local Mu Tofu (again, available at Newleaf)...its organic, non-GMO, artisan made by this wonderful old man on Clark Street, and it is better than any other tofu I've had...I will be SO sad when he finally decides to retire.
chachaheels
Edamame is traditionally soaked (in a fermented liquid or acid) in order to remove phytates so that you can actually use the nutrients, and so that the phytates won't stop you from absorbing nutrients from other foods as well. Soaking also eliminates the gassiness caused by edamame (Turbo, everyone gets this, not just you!). We just forget to soak the beans first because most people don't know you have to.

I know the evidence is conflicting about soy. That's why, if any doubts persist, simply take your cues from the knowledge amassed by the people who've eaten soy for centuries. It's always the very best authority.

Do they, or have they ever, used soy protein isolates to make "pseudo" food, or as a base on which simulated flavours could be added as substitutes to real foods like meats? No.
Do/did they traditionally plant soy as a food crop, rather than as a means of enriching the soil in which other plants grow? No.
Do/did they ever consume the soy bean without soaking it to remove phytic acid so that its few nutrients could actually be absorbed, and so it wouldn't block nutrient absorption from other foods in the diet? No.
Do/did they use soy to make processed foods? No.
Do/did they use soy products without fermenting them? No.
Do/did they use soy as a substitute for beef, fish, chicken, and eggs? No.
Do/did they make a soy milk and drink that on a regular basis? No.
Do/did they isolate the protein in soy to add to other foods? No.
Do/did they ever promote the use of soy to just women, as a means of "treating" menopause, which is not a disease? No.
Do/did they ever plant genetically modified soy seed intentionally, just to increase the yield of soy crops and /or increase the use of pesticides/herbicides/fertilizers which must be used along with the GMO seeds? No.
(but, I know that's changing now that China's being forced to plant and even import GMO soy by big food conglomerates and biochemical multi-nationals).

Bottom line: soy is ultimately goitrogenic, it affects the thyroid gland negatively. Especially the way we've come to use it now: in everything, as a food substitute, and most horrendously, as a "health" food targeted specifically to women.

It is in almost everything in the marketplace: you have to tapdance hard to avoid it, whether you want to or not. And it is not a benign food, even if you do think it has value, just because of its ubiquity.
bunnyb
thanks again chacha! scarily enough, the nurse only said dietary changes but I'll supplement too. I'll also take on board your other advice and visit the health food store today.
chachaheels
You're welcome, bunny! To be fair to the Nurse, she probably just said "diet only" because she was planning to give you the injections. They're a supplement, too! But I know MDs and RNs think of them as "medicine" instead of "nutrient supplement", even though that's what they are.

Please be sure to get Silica (often spelled Silicea) Tissue salts, bunny; health food stores stock silica supplements but these are not the same thing (and they tend to cost a fortune more, too).

Hope you feel better soon!
Beauty & her Bass
I am in need of a workout buddy. I fell off the nutrition and work-out wagon and am finding it hard to jump back on. So, does anyone know of someone in the Cleveland area...or a web site I can go to to find local workout buddies? Help!!!
_octinoxate
Hey beauty!

Sorry, I don't have any websites OR contacts in Cleveland. If we can get this thread jump-started, maybe it would help you hop back on the wagon? I wonder if a lot of us have fallen off, or what... I'm doing pretty good, actually. For a while there I was eating a TON, I don't know why, but my appetite has moderated itself now. Plus, I'm experimenting with using the elliptical machine! (I haven't been able to til now b/c of my injury.) I think I may also get into water running now that it's warm enough to swim outdoors.

How have your efforts been going?

Anyone else? Where are the healthy busties?
erinjane
I fell off the wagon. I was doing really well until I went to Toronto at the end of February, and then I got the flu, and since then I've been pretty sedentary. I got on the scale yesterday, and while I've only gained about 5 pounds, it's really noticable on my tummy, right around my bellybutton. I didn't think it was that bad until I saw some pictures of myself the other day.

But it's been gorgeous here this week so I've been on my bike everyday for the past week. Already I'm feeling better.
hannahmh
erinjane and octi--i'm trying for a healthy happy jump back on the wagon, too. yesterday i did a good, long, sweaty eliptical and today for the first time in a while is quite the perfect new york spring sun drenched day. i went for a lovely walk all the way from soho to the theater district, and it was one of those falling in love with my city kind of mornings. it's so much easier for me to move as part of my life when the weather is friendly. the bad part is i'm getting nervous to break out summer clothes from last year, quite a few of which no way are fitting. like you, erinjane, i'm self-conscious about a significant increase of belly flab. oh well! i'd like to join the ranks of healthy busties and try to be in shape and feeling good in my body. yee haw.
_octinoxate
Hey Erin and Hannah! (Hannah, welcome to the thread!) It sounds like the change in weather is (or is going to) help a bunch of us turn over a new leaf health-wise.

Haha, right after posting last time about my appetite calming down, I went to the kitchen and ate cheese and cheetos before bed smile.gif Whatevs! I think it all ebbs and flows. I'll only start cracking down on myself if I notice it being a real regular thing.

Re: clothes not fitting: for me the best thing to do is to GET RID OF EM! (Or at the very least, put them away in a box or cabinet somewhere away from the rest of my clothes, if they're too nice to part with.) Then I go buy clothes that actually fit me and I feel pretty and sexy all over again. Nothing to make you feel dumpy like bursting out of your clothes-- and nothing to make you feel great like clothes that are right for you! For me it makes a HUGE difference.

~~~~~healthy vibes for busties!~~~~~~
candycane_girl
Hey ladies!

I just wanted to make a quick update. I've been up here in Toronto for about two weeks now and it's definitely having a positive impact on my lifestyle. Technically I'm staying in Brampton but I commute to Toronto everyday and I walk way more here than I ever did at home. I can't wait to actually find a place in the city and just get rid of my car. I already have a TTC pass to get around the city but it's just great that I can walk around so much and I don't have to always rely on a car.

I've also noticed that I don't think about food as much and I pretty much just have breakfast, lunch and dinner, usually with no snacks in between.

I don't know what it is but it's like this city is good for me.
_octinoxate
Yay candy! Glad to hear it! ...did you move up there for good-?
candycane_girl
Um, kind of, lol. I'm doing an internship right now and then I don't know if I'm going to look for a part time job or for one in my field because I've applied to university here but I don't know if I'm in yet. So either way, I'll be staying in Toronto it's just that I don't know if I'll be here for the summer or just come back in the fall.
Beauty & her Bass
Glad to hear everything is going o.k. for everyone. I jumped back on the wagon again. I'm trying out some new things in hopes that they stick. I also tried blogging (something I swore I would never do). It seems to help a little. http://projectgetbuff.blogspot.com/

I'm trying out water aerobics with the old folks this week, which I am really excited for. I love water so I hope it's a little more appealing than the stupid elliptical to nowhere (sorry, hormonal/bad workout/stupid kids of other people/bitterness kind of day)

Anyway, good luck this week everyone! Get out there and kick booty!
candycane_girl
I forgot to mention that since I've been here I've also been eating a lot less chocolate. I still eat it but definitely not as much as I used to. And I actually don't eat until I'm hungry. I used to eat when I didn't even feel that hungry but now, just with doing the 9-5 thing and actually being busy I really have to wait to eat, which I think is a bit better. Now I just need to concentrate on coming up with healthy things to eat.
erinjane
I am bad with the chocolate. I'm not usually but my mom went way overboard for easter and I've been bits and pieces almost everyday. I don't feel so bad as long as I'm exercising and having something like two of those tiny chocolate eggs, but still. Otherwise I eat great, but that chocolate.
anna k
I'm having a problem with bloat. I had my period a week and a half ago, and my stomach has still remained bloated. It's so that it sticks out and I feel like I'm carrying around a belly full of air. I've tried gas pills and peppermint tea and fiber. I checked foods that cause bloat and I don't eat any of it. I exercise and do sweat-inducing cardio workouts almost every day, which leaves my arms and legs in shape but my stomach still bloated. This is really obnoxious and worrying me.
kittenb
It has been so long since I posted in here. I have been working out since February, 2006 and going pretty steady, except for when I had surgery. Before that, I had been lazy for about a year but I worked out before that. So I have been up and down on excersize since I turned 30. Anyway, I never dieted. I just hated the idea of it and the idea of buying into the whole billion dollar diet industry. And I was too lazy to do it. And then I got sick. Since last August, amoung other things, I have had three yeast infections, two that lasted more than three weeks and the latest that lasted about 8. After week 6, my gyne told me that I needed to go on the South Beach diet b/c it would break my carb/sugar addiction. All of the carbs and sugars were feeding the yeast growth and making me very sick. As well, the sugar has been giving me heartburn for years.
So I did it. No candy, cookies, ice cream, pasta or even fruit in about one and a half weeks. It has been hard. It seems that for the first two days your body is struggling to find new sources of energy so I was tired and stupid and icky feeling. After that, it was much better.
And it's working! Althogether, since 1/06, I have lost 25 pounds. 11 of that has been just the time I have been on South Beach. Unbelievable. So I have decided to go through with this all the way and see where it takes me. I know that once my body settles into it's new rythm I can expect to see about 2 pounds a week. But that's good. I can do that w/o getting scared about all the changes.
It all feels weird though. Yesterday, I spent so much time just feeling my cheekbones. They seem so much more prominent now. And my stomach shape is different.
And I think the infections are all cleared up now! rolleyes.gif
chachaheels
A couple of weeks ago I attended some in-depth seminars on the treatment of Cancer and Diabetes using homeopathy.

These aren't diseases North American practitioners get much exposure to in human patients--simply because most people are scared into using conventional medical treatments for them, and most alternative health practitioners are at significant risk legally if they treat patients with these diseases who choose to seek out alternatives first. Part of the studies focused on this stuff, but the majority of the seminars focused on how to recognize these diseases in our patients using physical symptoms and signs, rather than "diagnostic" tools such as blood tests, MRIs, etc., which we can't always access as alternative med. practitioners.

Which is just as well, as the physical signs and symptoms are capable of telling you so much more, and the diseases can be detected much earlier in your patients if the signs are present.

One big shocker (though it makes so much sense): the recurrent yeast infections and fungal infections, all systemic, that so many women (and men) suffer from are signs of much deeper changes in tissue and function in the body. Recurrent yeast shouldn't just be thought of as an uncomfortable nuisance--but as a sign of too much dependency on sugar, approaching hyperinsulinemia, and a warning of Diabetes type II. Of course, you can treat this homeopathically, we means you have to go out and work with a homeopathic doctor.

The good news? If you see yeast this way, and treat it as such, you can repair much of the tissue change which is creating functional changes in the organs and glands on a deep level, which leads to the yeast symptoms and ultimately to more serious pathology. In short, that means it's reversible. Of course, homeopathy's one really great way to treat the problem. But you can also do this with nutrition.

The diet is really important, as Kittenb has found out. The South Beach diet, the Protein Power diet, the Atkinson diet, the Eat Fat Lose Fat diets--these high protein, higher/right fat diets are all extremely effective at reversing hyperinsulinemia (which underlies all yeast infections). Even if the patient has already been diagnosed with Diabetes II, diet can reverse this disease if organ and tissue damage has not advanced too far. Even in cases where it has, diet can still do a great deal to halt the damage to the body's tissues while stabilizing the blood sugar and hormonal balances in the body.

This isn't to frighten anyone, but if you know your diet is full of processed carbohydrates and sugars (that list Kittenb includes in her post--that's most of what we all eat here in North America), and you do suffer from recurrent yeast or fungal infections, a high protein, higher fat diet can really help re-balance the body and remove that dependency.

The Big Plus is, you will very likely avoid Diabetes II, which is entirely a nutrient deficiency-based disease.
MaybeSparrow
Took a really intense spin class last night, drenched in sweat afterwards. It felt really good to push myself ...and eat some frozen yogurt after tongue.gif
anna k
Mmmm. I've been doing Billy Blanks tapes and feeling good, getting my nice shape back.
mouse
*peeks in*

so i haven't been in here in a while.....but i've actually been doing really well. i've been going to the gym pretty regularly lately (okay, the past week i haven't gone but this weekend i spent both days shoveling, planting, laying brick and vigorously cleaning for about 8 hours each day, so i think that counts) and i've been really consciously eating well--fresh veggies and fruit, cheese, nuts, brown rice, lean meat and staying the hell away from sugar and anything processed. when i go out with friends to drink i rarely get beer, i get whiskey sodas. my one weakness is that my friends and i have this weekly tradition of going to a local mexican restaurant that has $2 margaritas on wednesdays...but it's my only deviation, and while i'm sure the margaritas are full of sugar and fake flavorings, traditional mexican food is better than, say, mcdonalds. if i'm good i get the ceviche...if i'm feeling reckless i get the chilaquiles and goddammit i love every bite. and i'm conscious of my portions.

anyway, i've lost a noticeable amount of weight. i've been nervous to weigh myself but i think it's somewhere in the vicinity of 5-10. which isn't a huge amount but its been REALLY HARD for me to lose weight when i've tried before, so i think of it as an accomplishment. my stomach is visibly smaller and my clothes are fitting more loosely--i used to not wear jersey fabric shirts because they accentuated my, uh, rolls, but now it's hard to notice. i'd be over the moon if i could lose another 10-15, so i'm just going to keep at it. the only thing i'm bummed about is that it looks like i'm losing boob weight as well, and that was the only thing i was happy about gaining. they are small enough as it is. hmph.
MaybeSparrow
Keep up the great work Mouse! Don't feel bad for your weekly mexican food indulgences either, I've lost near 30 pounds and I have pizza at least once a week and frozen yogurt every night. Just stay consistent and you'll get there!
kittenb
I had cake yesterday. After two weeks of no sugar it was like a religioius experience. Now back to behaving myself. My next goal is pizza next weekend.
I am in week 3 of South Beach. Now is the time that I can start putting fruit back in my diet but I think that I am going to take it verrrry slow. I am not sure that all of the infection issues have cleared up and I don't want to encourage anymore. The weight loss has moved to my back now which is good and bad. I really hated the fact that I had fat rools on my back but I really want a more noticable loss on my stomach.
Oh well, one step at a time. I remember from massage school that the body heals from top to bottom and deep to surface. So I guess my stomach is next in line.
missjoy
Hi all, I'm pretty new here (well, I used to post years ago, but I just "rediscovered" the boards. My weight has never been low (except for one point in university when I was eating very unhealthy basically because I was always too hungover to eat) but lately it has gotten quite high. I just joined weight watchers online today. I'm feeling pretty motivated. It's my eating I have problems with, I like doing activities although my weight has gotten to a point where I'm self concious about exercise now too...

So wish me luck and motivation vibes!
mouse
ahh i need a mental kick in the butt to get back into the groove of going to the gym regularly. too bad tomorrow is margarita night....meh.

but sunday night i went out to eat with two of my most image conscious friends and they both asked me if i'd lost weight, so as anti-feminist as it is, i'm thrilled that it's starting to be noticeable. hah!

(oh and good luck, miss joy!)
missjoy
I know how you feel mouse - I haven't been to my gym in a while.

I've been taking my dog for walks in the morning for about an hour. I don't know what happened yesterday but it's like someone flicked a switch and suddenly the bugs and mosquitos are out this morning - booo.

I don't know what happens to me. I'm such a good eater all day and then it is like some switch goes off in my head and I *need to eat*. I did so well yesterday. I mean, it was my first weight watchers day, so I should have been motivated. but it gets to 7:00 at night and I'm like, I want pizza, and a piece of cheesecake from the freezer. I'm still within my weekly flex points - but I've used them all up on the first day of the program - what is wrong with me?
nickclick
i dunno about you guys, but when i diet, i'm thinking about food all day, what i'm gonna eat and not eat, and that makes me wanna eat the bad stuff even more!
DaisyJane
I joined a gym yesterday. Wooo. Im trying to be really excited about it.
Im not fat (5'5" 130 lbs but im flabby. Like...loose.

So I bit the bullet. Oi.
ChiqsRUs
Now that it's heading towards summer I plan on exercising more and have been hiking on weekends again. I swear I lose a ton of weight just by getting rid of water weight...that and adding healthy portein to my diet after my workout.......mmmm quality protein and low calorie's and sugar intake...yay...oh yeah and something about a 5 mile hike...
Serenity
I've been going to the beach and taking my dog for walks.
ChiqsRUs
I've also been eating Myoplex Lite bars after my workouts. Does anyone else use any protein products?
sybarite
I went to a class last night for the first time in about a month (bad me; to be fair I was away for 2 weeks of that though). It kicked serious ass. It combines weights, a step and mat work, but for me the best part was the megamix of 90s dance hits. Everything is easier when done to Pump Up the Jam.

I actually had *fun*. And I ache in all the right ways today.
MaybeSparrow
I took a conditioning class two days ago, and even though I didn't realize it at the time, it was kicking my ass royally. I am still sore! Squats and lunges really sneak up on you...I just hope I don't die at Spin class tonight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.