Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Hip Momma: Ga-Ga-Oh-My-Gawd!!!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Let's Talk About Sex
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44
anoushh
Actually, if you really wanted to be nice you wouldn't be spamming the lounge.

Mamas? You out there?
moxiegirl
hi there! just don't have much new news... what was getting you down?
sessy
*delurking*

pardon me for busting in, mamas, but I'm hoping for some good advice on baby stuff.

I'm due to birth my first babelet in 6 or so weeks, and am currently registering for my baby shower. we live in pretty tight quarters, and are trying to live more simply, so I really don't want tons of stuff.

I'm mostly asking for cloth diapers, but it occurs to me that there must be some more things that are worth having.

So: do I need a swing? a particular baby bathtub? a fancy dirty dipe container?

all comments & recommendations are *greatly* appreciated.
hypocondriaque
Hi Sessy,

Trying to delurk myself...

I lived in pretty tight quarters when my daughter was born too. I found that I could not live without the swing. During periods when the baby was going through her "crying times" (generally between 7-9pm every night) it was the only thing that got her to sleep. You can find some pretty compact ones that fold up flat, so you can slip them behind a door, and you can take the carrier off to tote the baby to other rooms of the house while washing dishes or folding laundry. I even gave her her first meals in it, instead of using a high chair (I never had one of those either...)

Also, I LOVED this changing pad someone gave to me. It had a curve in the middle, so the baby couldn't roll off, and it was made of light foam with a waterproof cover, so I could take it to any room of the house I might be in. I used it on the bed, floor, couch. I didn't need a changing table at all with this item! And best of all, it could slide under the couch or bed when I needed to hide it. You can get them at Walmart and Target, and buy different terry cloth covers for it to take off the chill.

Once my daughter was 3-6 months old, I found I could not live without a baby backpack. I would wear it to the laundry mat, so I could have my hands free to fold, and the baby was quite happy for the higher vantage point. They make them with a stand that folds out when you take it off, so you can set it on the floor with the baby inside while you're in the dressing room. I've seen people use them with kids up to age 3. I had a large stroller, but found the cheap kid of umbrella stroller was much more useful, especially during shopping trips.

Best of luck to you from a seasoned mama!

hypo

QUOTE(sessy @ Jan 7 2008, 04:56 PM) *
*delurking*

pardon me for busting in, mamas, but I'm hoping for some good advice on baby stuff.

I'm due to birth my first babelet in 6 or so weeks, and am currently registering for my baby shower. we live in pretty tight quarters, and are trying to live more simply, so I really don't want tons of stuff.

I'm mostly asking for cloth diapers, but it occurs to me that there must be some more things that are worth having.

So: do I need a swing? a particular baby bathtub? a fancy dirty dipe container?

all comments & recommendations are *greatly* appreciated.

moxiegirl
to echo hypo--- we found the swing absolutly priceless in the early days. Also, if you can get a highchair that either 1: clip onto the table or 2: straps right onto a kitchen chair, big spacesaver. Depending on what kind of carseat you get, we found the travel system useful until she could sit on her own, then we switched to the lightweight stroller. Also, hmmm...lots of diapers. In varying sizes.
anoushh
Yes to the swing.

Also, I really, really wish I'd gotten a fleece pouch for the baby. I thought a ring sling would be the best based on my research, but in reality I could never get it to work. A good fleece sling doesn't have to be expensive (I just basically got the cheapest one I could find off ebay) but fancier models can be quite nice.
It was easy to use, he loved it, and it was often the only way he really slept in the early days. It means your hands can be free and the pouch is so much easier to work with than a complicated sling.

ALso, I balked at the Ergo carrier b/c of the price, but once he was a bit bigger I wished I'd gotten one earlier.

But if I could choose only one thing it would be the fleece pouch.
anoushh
Oh, and it took me ages to get around to a baby monitor, but I was really, really glad when I finally did.

Also I got a niji wool diaper wrap as a gift and it was my favorite by far.
sessy
ah! I knew my busties wouldn't fail me!

thanks so much, all -

now: any particular brand/type of swing? and why do they need batteries??

on the babywearing front - we already received a ring sling, and I was thinking about going for a moby stretchy wrap, too (since it will be warm soon).....I will look into fleece and Ergo.

and for baby bathing?

thank you thank you.
lapis
Sessy,
I like the leachco safer bather--it's a cushion you put in the tub if you have a tub. I registered on amazon and it had all kinds of stuff. If you don't have a good washing machine, you mighe buy kooshies flushable diaper liners--they cut down on the poop stains on the cloth diapers. Also, have you checked craigs list or ebay for cloth diapers? They are so much cheaper on those. I love wool soakers for the diaper cover--aristocrats seems to be the most recommended and fantastic. You can't use cute little clothes with them because they are bulky but they stay dry and don't need to be washed too often and seem really comfortable.
I like to use just a foldable diaper pad on the bed to cut down on space.
I like the cradle swings by fisher price.
The car seat i am crazy for is the chicco keyfit 30. You can adjust the straps really easily which is a godsend.
The zolowear pouch is pretty comfy for slings and the ergo has been good but tricky to use with an infant--after 3 konths though it should be great. Good luck!
moxiegirl
I'd look for the kind of swing that has the "seat" part detachable as a bouncy seat...i know target.com carries them. I think Graco makes one. Also, bathing...we got the "safety first" blue tub, but i think a cushion for the real bathtub or sink would have worked just as well. Also, we stayed far, far away from the "lullabye" smelly infant soaps...straight up Johnson's and Johnson's no-more-tears soap to this day. I have sensitive skin, and so does moxette, so we went with the most gentle soap (that was still affordable) that we could get. And, while I need to do a bit more research into the name of the lady, ms.turbojenn got us the best.washclothes.ever when moxette was born. I'll pop over to Okayland and get that brand for you. Our next-door-neighbors have a video monitor, and while I think its a bit excessive, it IS cool.
loridk
Swings are way cool. I only used one with my first but it was awesome.

I just always took my kids in the bath with me. By the time my third came, I just take him in the shower with me. My favourite though is to make my sister, an NICU nurse, bath them because she gets in done in 30 seconds and is not afraid by tiny babies at all haha

I used Fuzzy Bunz for diapers which are way expensive, dumb on my part. However, if you can find them used or someone lends them to you, you're good. They are awesome. Mine have been through three kids and still work just as good.

I used one of those front carrier things. They are bulky but easy. I also got one of those ring slings but it never really worked like I wanted it to for me. I always thought it was just me though.

I never really used a high chair. I fed them in their little exersaucer. Those things were a godsend to me. Except for the fact they were at a perfect height to lick the dog. Ew.
moxiegirl
Yeah, the exersaucer LOOKS totally like extra equiptment, but it is a GODSEND from ages 3-4 mos to about walking age.

Anyway, I got the name of the website from turbojenn for the washclothes (moxette got some from turbo when she was born, and they're still in perfect shape 21 mos later). the best washclothes ever
pepper
TOOTH TOOTH TOOTH!!!!

i nearly missed it, next to zero fussing! such a nice baby i got this round. yay!
squidmo
I haven't been in here in ages. I think one of my new year resolutions should definitely be to keep up on this thread. I hope everyone is doing well. I've hit an interesting point right now with the Squidlette. I'm back in school, and her grandmother was her exclusive baby sitter in previous semesters, but this spring she will be out of state (snow bird). So, Squid is off to daycare for the first time ever, at 15 months old. Now, I found a great facility, she really liked the other children, and the teachers seemed very warm and friendly. However, in my twenty minutes in the toddler room, I think I saw a toy passed between upward of five mouths! Squid has had one cold her entire life, no other sicknesses at all. Any advice on combating the germish onslaught that I fear is nearing?
anoushh
M's boss seems to be on a quest to ensure M sees his son, oh, about 20 minutes every several days or so. Not to mention working M practically to death.

Yes, he's going to quit. We just have to get some things in line first.

I'm fucking fed up in the meantime and so is he.
moxiegirl
squid, no, not really any way to stem the sickie tide. Moxette was pretty much virus-ladden for 9-12 months. Its cool, though, b/c now she has the fabled "day care immune system". Our pediatrician reassured (??) us that whether she was 3 months or 3 yrs old, the first YEAR she was with other kids, that her immune system was going through boot camp. Stock up on tylenol/motrin and triaminic, and know that its easier at 15 mos than later in life.
squidmo
QUOTE(moxiegirl @ Jan 11 2008, 12:57 AM) *
Stock up on tylenol/motrin and triaminic, and know that its easier at 15 mos than later in life.

Yeah, I figured that was all I could do. That and bathe her the minute she gets in the door. Thanks!
moxiegirl
Oh, get some of that "kandoo" foamy soap and a stool...moxette loves washing her hands and making "bubbles" after school. Its the very first thing we do when we get home.
squidmo
QUOTE(moxiegirl @ Jan 11 2008, 01:07 PM) *
Oh, get some of that "kandoo" foamy soap and a stool...moxette loves washing her hands and making "bubbles" after school. Its the very first thing we do when we get home.

That's a great idea. Squidlette is fascinated by brushing her own teeth; it never occurred to me that she might find joy in washing her hands. She despises my feeble attempts at wiping her down, so that may work out very well. Oh, while I am at it, I've been reading up on potty training, and I don't think we are quite there, but I would like to get that ball rolling as soon as possible. What is the earliest you ladies have introduced a potty seat? I was thinking that if I start taking her to the bathroom with me, show her she has her own seat, and leave it at that for a few months, she may take to doing it on her own. Anybody attempted this method?
anoushh
I don't have any toilet training experience--notbob is only 14 months--but he too loves washing his hands. We just use regular soap, so whatever works for you.

I try to do it pretty regularly. Ok, I fail to remember much of the time, but I'm working on it, and slowly getting better.

it would be nice if the daycare encouraged hand washing too.

Anyway, it can't hurt in terms of the cold/sickness issue, it might help, and it's a good habit, so might as well give it a go.
pepper
QUOTE(anoushh @ Jan 11 2008, 04:06 PM) *
it would be nice if the daycare encouraged hand washing too.

they don't? um, ewe, gross. they're supposed to encourage it like crazy. every daycare little ever went to had a hand washing routine several times a day and checked each kids hands after leaving the washroom. maybe i just lucked out there but come ON, they put their grubby little hands on everything and everything into their mouths! i'm all for immunity boosting but hello staph, etc etc etc.

i found that so long as the soap is in a pump, he'll use it and love it. dr bronners castile soap is all natural and you can dilute it with a lot of water so it soaps up fast and rinses away really easily, it comes in a few scents as well as unscented and you can add a couple drops of your own essential oil if you like. i like the tea tree oil one, i wash us and the whole house with that stuff. it's safe to put it in your mouth, it's good soap.
i taught him a hand washing song when he was little too, that was helpful. now he says "one hippopotamus, two hippopotamus, three..." until he gets to 10 or 15. it's cute.

this small girl is 6 months now and i'm going to start pottying her when we get home from vacay. she'll fit in our stash of cloth diapers now so it will be easier to know when she's wet and get familiar with her cues so i can get her to the potty quickly. there is no "too early" as far as i've read, some people start pottying right from birth. usually those kids are totally out of diapers by 18 months with no accidents. that's WAY better than little's refusal to use the toilet until nearly three and a half dry.gif
sessy
ah. I have some experience on the toilet front - my bonus daughter is 3 1/2, and has been an exclusive potty-er since she was a bit more than 2. (it took about 6 months to make that happen)

we put a little potty right next to our potty in the most-used bathroom and made a very big deal about the new facility.....but then we played it cool. every time husband or I went to the bathroom, we'd invite her along, and in the beginning she'd only say yes occasionally. when she *did* come sit down, we'd talk about what it's like to let go & make pee/poop, have a big celebration when she accomplished one of those, and otherwise act chill about the whole thing. so basically, we brought up the potty all the time, but always in a 'hey, uh, want to sit on the potty for a minute?' way.

she definitely went through a couple defiant months of wanting dipes, which we let happen, but when she had a really messy poop (and thus a good amount of discomfort), we'd extol the virtues of the potty. eventually we put our feet down and said NO DIPES IN DAYTIME (this came along with an introduction of fancy panties as well as allowing the occasional bare-butt).

after a while, we were only using dipes for trips to the store and nightttime. (we used the pull-up things)

now, most awesomely, she climbs up onto the big potty for all her business, and the only role we have left is butt-wiping. (apparently more of an acquired skill than you'd think!!)
pepper
TOOTH!!! #2

and there will be crawling any day now, she's been up on hands and knees a couple of times in the past few days.

*sniff* my baby's growing up. WAHHH! sad.gif
squidmo
Sessy, thanks for the reply. I plan on being very nonchalant about the whole thing. I'm glad to hear that method can actually work.

aquagirl3
Sessy,
When I registered, my very organized friend sent me an exhaustive list of everything--categorized into stuff she ended up loving, not needing, getting later, etc. It was my bible, and since then I have annotated it with my own observations and sent it to several other pregnant friends. I would email it to you if you were interested. Let me know!
sessy
ms. aqua - thank you so much!! I just messaged you my email and lots of appreciations.

I mostly registered for cloth dipes, but it turns out the shower crowds aren't into buying that sort of thing (which floors me, because have you seen how cute they are?!). So we shall see.

I hope all the mamas out there are feelin' fine?? cold weather in our parts led to a pretty mean case of cabin fever in my house (let's just say there's a bedroom wall now with a *lot* of stickers on it)....
moxiegirl
Hey lassies, a newbie by the name of Sprinkles posted the following over in the "not so wee ones" thread. I re-directed her here, but I thought I'd repost her posting, cause i'm that kind of gal. How is everybody? We're in a totally SWEET spot right now. It won't last. But I'll enjoy the bejebus out of it right now!

Hi everyone! I know this thread is titled “Busty mom’s of NOT SO WEE ONE’S” but the only other forum is for midewestern mamas and although I’m not from the midwest I decided to check that one out but once I got there I realized kids are not being discussed at all. It’s like about reunions. I am a 23 y.o. mommy of a toddler and I seriously need to rant. I am a walking zombie half the time and I’m sick of wiping shit off my baby’s butt. I’m sick of the tantrums and my place being taken apart piece by piece. NOTHING is safe. I am mostly sick of not being able to be selfish when that is what life is supposed to be about when you are in your early twenties. My whole life is only about my son and sometimes I just want it to be about me!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and lets not forget about the fact that you plan your whole life with this wonderful man because you think he is the one. You both are totally in love and then oooops! SURPRISE! The wee one comes along but you know what that’s ok because we want to grow old together anyways. WELL then after your little bundle of joy comes along the son of bitch fucker cheats on your ass I don’t know how many fucking times and then decides that the whole baby thing is just not for him so he splits and your whole world crumbles and you are left raising a little boy all by yourself not knowing what the hell you are doing.

AHHHHHHHHHHH! That felt oh so better. Wow, writing it out really helps. I think TaeBo is in serious order here though. So is this the room for me or no?
grenadine
*drive-by*

anoushh, i was behind a car with the license plate "NOT BOB" yesterday and thought of you.

hope everyone is well! we're busy. not sleeping, mister started a job working nights, which is great but doesn't help, on too many committees, applying for other jobs in hopes of moving...

anoushh
anoushh, i was behind a car with the license plate "NOT BOB" yesterday and thought of you.

laugh.gif

Glad to see you even in a drive by, gren! I was wondering how you were. (I worry.)

Will post more when I can.

Good luck with the employment situation. (And back to us if you have any luck to spare in that area!)
grenadine
anoushh, you're haunting me! today i went down a street i never drive down and saw the ANOUSH International Deli!!

good luck vibes for all on the job and home front. my job is ok, but i really want to move. we'll see what happens...the job i applied for is VERY competitive, and they may have in-house candidates picked already, so i don't know. one of my oldest friends just told me she's moving, tho, to a small town outside of taos, NM, and i'm jealous that she's definitely getting out of here (which i feel ungrateful even saying, because here has been good to me, but still...)

how is young notbob, anyhow? the bean is as usual, hilarious, getting more rebellious, etc.
pepper
some info on health affecting chemical in baby bottles.

Video of child drowning prevention swim lessons. this is absolutely Incredible. wowOwowOwowOwowOwow.
anoushh
Gren,
Heh hen!

There's actually and Anoush Deli in Portland that I keep forgetting about. Not that I ever get out these days, but someday...

The "Notbob" liscence plate is a hoot, though.

Ok, mamas--what about my needs here, huh? What's going on in your lives?

As for me, I went to the pool today for exercise class for only the second time since notbob was born. (I was going 3 and 4 days a week when I was pregnant.) It's amazing that I'm in worse shape than I was when pregnant, but not surprising as when we were in the UK I had a gym membership and I did regularly go.

Anyway, it was hard but it felt GREAT. I've arranged to be able to go at least three times a week.

Notbob is his usual bubbly, happy self. Hard work as hard work can be, but happy and TALL. He's about a head taller than all the other kids at our parent group (14-15 month, and he's 15months). He's also thinned out a lot. He's going to take after his dad. He's had dad's big hands and long feet from the beginning.

He's very happy to feed himself these days, he gets VERY excited when you come in with groceries or anything really. He jumps up and lets out this funny "OOOOOOHHHHH" sound, especially if you have milk, which he tries valiently to carry.

And I swear he said "mama" to mean me the other day. My mom said "where's mama" and he looked at me and smiled and said "mama." Nice. smile.gif I'm amazed at how many words and phrases he understands, and how fast he learns things.

Also, we got our mortgage prequalification and are looking for a house. Wish us luck! (We'll need it, with our budget.)

On the down side M is having trouble with his employer and may need to go into a different field altogether. A few weeks ago on NPR I heard trucking in this country described as "sweatshops on wheels." That's for sure.

A hard change at 51--52 in a couple of months--but if need be we'll put off the house for a bit longer. I'm afraid this job will kill him if things don't change. He's had it slightly better as he has a restriction from his doctor of 40 hours per week--but instead of trying to make that roughly 8-10 hours per day they seem to feel it's ok to do it in 2 or three days. Don't you all feel safer knowing how well regulated the trucking industry is and how your safety and the employees safety is their top concern? *rolling eyes so far back in head it hurts*

Anyway, it's been an eye opener to see how much of our mutual stress was down to his ridiculous working hours and conditions. We both feel so much better. I'm afraid the insurer will turn down his workers comp claim (wrongly--I used to work for this very company as a claims adjuster so I know the law, and I also know how so many of them think.) We'll get an attorney if need be, etc, but it is a bit stressful in its own right.

Not so stressful as him working 70 hours a week every week, though.

Anyway, how is everyone? Again, what about MY needs here??? wink.gif I need to know!
anoushh
Ok, my needs not terribly compelling then...

wink.gif

I hope everyone is ok and I still hope to hear from my fellow mamas soon.
pepper
sorry girl, all i have is cruddy news. little came home from school with a big huge nasty cold sore on his wee perfect little mouth. it's bleedy and scabby and gross and terrible and makes my poor heart ache to think of his suffering with this for the rest of his life (my bro and sis got them from a young age but i am immune to break outs).
le sigh, so sad. it sucks when you can't do a damn thing about something bad that is happening to them.
grenadine
aw! sorry for little, pepper.

sorry, anoushh; it's been rough going around here -- mostly my work and various other situations getting unpleasant and out of hand. miss v. is five months old now and is delightful and charming and rolling over, although she always looks offended when she lands, and the bean is going to school and seems to have finally plateaued in terms of development -- i think the first 2 years are the most accelerated, and now things seem more even-keel. i'm starting to worry about the mold, tho -- both kids have froggy coughs and although it COULD just be germs from the preschool, etc., i have been meaning to get the air re-tested and have not yet done so, at least partly out of fear. and the work situation is rough going since a tenured nun professor (!) has decided that i'm a heinous, divisive, arrogant beyotch and is complaining to the dean about me...it would be one thing if i'd actually set out to cross her, but really i think she took something i said wrong and has blown it up like a goodyear blimp. anyhow, that's my nutshell recap for the moment... you?

hi and waves to everyone else!
grenadine
anoushh!!

did i just hear your mister worrying about setting off his airbags by headbanging to classic rock on "Car Talk"????

he seemed oddly familiar...
anoushh
laugh.gif

I just heard that too. Nope, not him, but now I'll have to listen to it to see if it sounds at all like him.

(When listening to Eddie Izzard sometimes for just a moment here and there I'll think "That sounded EXACTLY like M." Someone else claimed he sounded like Ozzy Osborne. Um, no.)

I was thinking as I listened that a lot of English people call in to Car Talk.
grenadine
damn. how many english truck drivers ARE there in eugene, oregon, anyhow? smile.gif
sybarite
*delurks*

Well anoushh, the UK did bring us Top Gear...

*relurks*
anoushh
Seriously? He was a truck driver in Eugene?

That's just scary.

It's not his car driving behaviour, but still....
anoushh
Ok, I'm listening again now. How hilarious!

I'm going to ask M to identify his accent.

Sybarite, you heard about Jeremy Clarkson and his bright idea to release his banking details?

On topic, notbob is asleep. He'll be awake any minute. He's starting to really resist sleep again. It's exhausting. But his signing is exploding.

Nice to hear about the little ones, gren. Sorry about the other stuff.
Wish I had time for more, but so it goes.
pepper
US gov't concedes vaccine/autism case.

x-posted in the other mama thread.
moxiegirl
thanks pepper. The thing is, thermisol was stopped as an additive over 10 years ago. So, for little ones now, its not an issue.

It still baffles me, as an environmental professional, why anyone would want to think that adding mercury to anything ingested, was a good idea.
pepper
i know they stopped using it, i just can't believe they ever did. HOW is mercury ok to give to anyone, much less a teeny tiny baby? duh.

i wonder how far reaching the implications of this court decision will be? there are SO many parents with autistic children who swear there was a definite change after being vaccinated. it's a huge thing to have any court even go this far, no matter what comes of it.
pollystyrene
*delurks*

Thermisol is still being used in other vaccines though- my MIL is highly allergic to it (hmm, imagine that) and every year when she gets a flu shot, she has to find a place that has thermisol-free shots.
pepper
omg, i thought they had stopped using it across the board! that's terrible news. wow.

are they still putting it into rhogam i wonder? gah, that's awful.
lapis
I had my baby vaccinated last week and after asking them over and over they told me that their pediarix vaccine did contain it along with formaldehyde. So we went with the dtap daptacel instead. It's totally confusing stuff!
anoushh
That case is pretty meaningless re: the claims made about vaccines and autism, though. It's one case, with one rare condition, and she's not actually diagnosed as autistic. It's also a legal judgement, which has nothing to do with science, to be realistic.

We know that any treatment can have side effects, sometimes catastrophic ones. (Like otherwise healthy people dying during liposuction for example. All treatment has risks.) I don't disgree with watching big pharma closely and being suspicious and careful, but I'm also more worried about my kid getting polio, measles, etc, etc, which area actually potentially very serious illnesses. Notbob's dad nearly died from chicken pox as just one example.

And notbob news, he has discovered outside. It's all he wants to do. Exhausting and not very practical for mum and dad, though. (Mostly mum as I'm babysitterless for the next 2+ weeks and mostly on my own.)

He's also signing to himself when he sees things he knows the signs for. Cute.
pepper
for me the idea of getting the pox or measles isn't that drastic. i've done the research, they seem to be just simple illnesses in most cases. the potential for a severe case is lower than the potential for vaccine complications as far as i can tell (my brother nearly died from his vaccines as a baby and my cousin suffered brian damage). it's a personal call, it's a tough area to make a decision in since the story from doctors is so one sided. they will Never give you any unbiased info and it's a lot to research to do when you're a busy mom.
there hasn't been a case of polio is north america in decades though and it was on a steep decline before mass vaccinations began as well. i'm not travelling to any third world countries with the babies so that one is off the list for me.

i would like to sign with this girl but she doesn't seem like she's ready. she can grab stuff but at 8 months there isn't a whole lot of real dexterity happening. maybe later on. she lets me know what she wants pretty well, as a total in arms baby we've got some good communication happening. (she's drolling over my shoulder in the back pack right now.)
i still just love sleeping with her. she's so small and snuggly and cute and warm and all smiles when she wakes up. we roll around giggling in the bed for as long as possible in the mornings, it's total bliss.
anoushh
Another "sleep? I don't need no stinkin' sleep!" phase. And I have a cold. So does he, but he seems to be getting over it sooner. No surpise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.