Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's not easy being Green - the gardening thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
amazonprincess
First post in this thread...
I recently got a potted azalea, I would like to keep it as a house plant. Any tips?
bklynhermit
A few weeks ago I bought a lovely jade plant from the farmer's market. All is well, but the plant came in one of those ugly plastic pots, and I've spent the last few weeks looking for something nicer for it.

I'm relatively aware of how to repot a plant that's outgrown its current pot, but this plant is doing fine and is probably a new growth that isn't too rootbound or anything yet -- the repotting is purely cosmetic. How is such a transplant different from the sizing-up sort of transplant?
crotchety
Hullo, sorry to be tramping in here.
I have a dire situation; the spectre of herbicide is imminent.
Can anyone help me identify this plant (close-up here) before I drown or shade it to death?
Any help will be utterly appreciated!
momo
sorry, crotchety, no clue here.

just wanted to pop in to say thank you to doodle + ginger for the advice about cuttings, repotting, etc. the repottings were a huge success and my little jungle is flourishing. can't say the cuttings went as well, but i'm going to give them a few more weeks and then i'll try again with bigger cuttings.

bklynhermit, i just did a big repotting spree, and i would think that if you are just switching to a differently shaped pot, you could just do as you normally do for repotting. just break up the root ball a bit, fill the new pot 1/3 with soil, then pop the plant in and fill it up. i think breaking up the root ball would allow everything to take the new pot's shape. good luck!
voodoo_princess
crotchety - It just so happens that the front of the Mr's shop just got landscaped and they have planted something that looks identical and I will try to find out Monday what it is. The Mr. doesn't pay attention so I will check with his secretary. Let you know Monday.
doodlebug
momo, I'm glad it worked out!!

I have a new toy...it's a coiled up watering hose, that attaches to my kitchen faucet! YAY! It's going to make taking care of my indoor "garden" so much easier. My plants are looking so well, considering they just came through a winter, and I'd like them NOT to all fall to shit when the hot, dry summer comes.

I was sort of planning to try my hand at balcony gardening again, but I needed to spend the money on something else that came up suddenly (accidentally finding the perfect furniture in a consignment shop!), so that dream will have to wait till next spring. :-(
zora
I just got back from the nursery and planted 4 new plants! I got a Jewel of Opar, (google this plant, it's amazing. I like it because it seems to really be alive; when it's windy, it lifts up its leaves to protect the fine stem and it closes up its leaves at night) a non-edible relative of the eggplant that is spiky, orange and poisonus, Purple Baron Millet and basil. I never have good luck with basil, so I'm planting it in the ground this year in the hopes that it will flourish. I grabbed a variety with big crinkly leaves because it smelled the best. Soon, tomatos! I always plant them towards the end of May and I found a cool heirloom variety that I'm going to buy. My garden is looking better and better! I have two colombines in full bloom right now and my english daisy is going strong.
Crochety, your plant almost looks like chives to me. Does it smell like onions?
crotchety
Aw, thanks for checking out my li'l green friend!
Zora, I thought that it kind've looked chive-y, too, but it doesn't have an onion-y scent.
Any word, Voodoo?
So far, the best I could uncover is that it might be sea pink.
voodoo_princess
still working on it, crotchety..... the Mr's secretary told him but he forgot. I have to go by there tomorrow so I will ask her myself....
voodoo_princess
crotchety - we have come up with armeria somethingortheother (?) or "Thrift" which I do believe is the same as you called it "sea pink"....
Looks like you were on the right track to begin with and there is a ton of info about this plant on the net....
good luck with it!
aspartame
crotchety: it looks like a type of scabiosa or bachelor's buttons to me. for what it's worth, sun.
voodoo_princess
you know.... we had thought scabiosa too because the Mr's shop has some of that planted too, but the base of the scabiosa looked different to me... not sure though.... I'm no gardener, everything I try to grow ends up all the same variety of DEAD! Good luck with it!
crotchety
thanks! the blooms of the scabiosa look really similar to the ones on my plant, but the grassy foliage looks a lot like thrift/sea pink (some plants are so greedy with all those names!).
so weird.
but you're right, aspartame, it looks like the key is goodly amounts of sunshine.

thank you, voodoo, for looking into it for me, that was really awesome of you!
wilhelminawonka
woooo wooooo
My hubby and I went to this organic farm on Friday and bought a bunch of seedlings. And we had some seeds to plant, and we went crazy planting all day Saturday and Sunday! I'm pretty sore, but I'm so excited, it's my third year in this house and it's the first time we've had any gardens. I hope they don't suck!
pollystyrene
I have a gardening newbie question- what's the difference between topsoil and potting soil? I'm I'm planting seeds in pots, so I'd use potting soil, right?
voodoo_princess
polly - yes, use potting soil..... most times potting soil is fortified in some way with extra nutrients etc etc that help with your plant growth, health etc.....
I'm not sure what topsoil is exactly, maybe filler dirt? BUT I do know if you are planting seeds in pots, use potting soil.....
this is what my mum says and she's got tons of beautiful plants and flowers.....
voodoo_princess
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg0519584615753.html

sorry, double post BUT *polly* check this out... it may clear up what potting soil is and why to use it.... it would appear that potting soil is actually "not soil" and is actually mostly peat or whatever and topsoil is basically DIRT and according to some people, topsoil can be harmful to your indoor plants and since potting soil is NOT soil (dirt) it's better for your seedlings and indoor plants..... see what you think when you read it.... it's like questions and answers.... hope it helps!
pollystyrene
So, what about potted *outdoor* plants?
voodoo_princess
polly - I just called my mum and she says use potting soil on your outdoor potted plants too.... she says this is best cause of the richness and nutrients in the potting soil.... I take it she ALWAYS goes with potting soil and she has lovely plants and flowers.... really.
pollystyrene
That's what I figured- fortified with nutrients- always a good thing :-)

Thanks!
treehugger
Hi, green thumbs!

I have a question about plumeria. I have been told that they don't like having wet feet. Question is, with the self-watering planters where there's a wick and the plant "draws up what it needs", would that tend to be too damp?

I guess, a general way to phrase my question is, are these types of planters appropriate for plants that call for drainage? When I looked at the planter, it looked like the soil wouldn't ever be in direct contact with the water, just a wick. Wick dangles down in the water and then runs across the bottom of the pot.

Can you help?
midgemcgrath
treehugger--

i've never used those pots, but i would suggest not to use them for this kind of plant. my understanding is that the wick draws water up to keep the soil damp, regardless of whether the plant wants it or not... i would use a pot with a drainage hole in the bottom so it can let extra moisture out, and to be careful not to over water.
mouse
question!

i have a little packet of nasturtiums, which i love. unfortunately i live in a big city apartment. can i plant these in a pot? or do nasturtiums really sort of need a wide expanse to grow? i've never seen them growing in a pot....but maybe it can be done?
midgemcgrath
Oh, mouse, i love nasturtiums! They actually do wonderfully in planter boxes (the long kind), which let them sort of crawl over the edge.

I grew them last year (until they got attacked by evil black aphids), and not only to they make a tasty addition to salads with their peppery taste (though don't eat any that were open when you bought them incase they have chemicals on them!), and if you have any in your area, they are great attractors of hummingbirds!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.