Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: !@#$%&* Annoying Ads
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
mouse
anybody else see those stupid carl's jr guacamole burger commercials? they are based on the premise of "guacamole is really hard to make". uhhh? scoop out the avocado, mash it up. add some onion & cilantro if you wanna get real fancy. SERIOUSLY?
kari
Mouse, I haven't seen that commercial, but I do know that guac is easy to make!

I think this qualifies as a commercial....I saw it before a movie. It was almost like a video/commercial. It is a mix of Kid Rock singing an awful, awful song apparently called "Warrior," with images of Dale Earnhardt Jr racing the National Guard racecar, mixed with images of National Guard soldiers fighting.

It is Terrible. And it frightens me.
Gypsymoth
I'm confused by the new Starbucks hot chocolate ad. "Makes 'fall' feel more like 'autumn'"? What?
octobersky
QUOTE(kari @ Oct 1 2008, 07:38 AM) *
Mouse, I haven't seen that commercial, but I do know that guac is easy to make!

I think this qualifies as a commercial....I saw it before a movie. It was almost like a video/commercial. It is a mix of Kid Rock singing an awful, awful song apparently called "Warrior," with images of Dale Earnhardt Jr racing the National Guard racecar, mixed with images of National Guard soldiers fighting.

It is Terrible. And it frightens me.

I too have been subject to that atrocity before the last three movies I've watched. It's just awlful - I don't understand the connections between NASCAR, Kid Rock and the National Guard. WTF? The last time I childishly plugged my ears while it was on.
humanist77
QUOTE(octobersky @ Oct 5 2008, 06:37 PM) *
I too have been subject to that atrocity before the last three movies I've watched. It's just awlful - I don't understand the connections between NASCAR, Kid Rock and the National Guard. WTF? The last time I childishly plugged my ears while it was on.

really? uneducated, white trash springs to mind : P
not that everyone in the National Guard fits that, but it's certainly who recruiters go after..
snow white
top three most annoying commercials on TV

3. Match.com, is it just me or do those commercials seem voyeristic and just...odd?

2. I think it's Godiva Coffee Liquor, with just a close up of some chicks mouth singing "gotta have coffee..." it just fucking creeps me out.

1. Overall most bizarre and not in a good way, the Burger King goof on Simon and Garfunkel. Weirds me out every time i see it.
mouse
QUOTE(snow white @ Oct 19 2008, 12:32 PM) *
1. Overall most bizarre and not in a good way, the Burger King goof on Simon and Garfunkel. Weirds me out every time i see it.

yeah i totally don't get that one either. it's not clever, it's not well-made, it's not visually pretty, and it sounds shitty. it does not make me want to eat a burger, or go "wow, burger king's marketing department is rad" which, honestly, other bk ads have made me do.
hellotampon
Do the match.com ads show close-ups of people's faces slightly changing expression? Or is that E-Harmony? Either way, I hate that ad. Something about it rubs me the wrong way.

Another ad I hate for mysterious reasons is for some homeopathic cough syrup or whatever. It shows a mother and daughter lying down outside and the mother is talking about how the syrup is good for kids' immune systems or something. It seems pretty non-offensive so I can't figure out why it bothers me.

One ad that I actually like is the Geico one with Mrs Butterworth and at the end she says, "someone has put a logo right over my face"
kittenb
One ad that I actually like is the Geico one with Mrs Butterworth and at the end she says, "someone has put a logo right over my face"

That one makes me laugh too.
jsmith
QUOTE(hellotampon @ Oct 19 2008, 05:06 PM) *
Another ad I hate for mysterious reasons is for some homeopathic cough syrup or whatever. It shows a mother and daughter lying down outside and the mother is talking about how the syrup is good for kids' immune systems or something. It seems pretty non-offensive so I can't figure out why it bothers me.

I don't like that one, either. I think it's the way they're talking, in that airy-fairy sort of way.
A commercial I cannot stand is the one for a 2-in-1 washer and dryer. The theme to "Bewitched" is playing in the background while a mom is doing every damned little thing for everyone else. The slogan is "Be even more amazing!" but it should be "Be even more amazing.................. because that is what's expected of you!"
It bugs the carp out of me, seriously.
hellotampon
I hate the smarmy Mac ads... esp the new one where the PC guy puts all his money into advertising instead of towards fixing program problems. Personally I have seen way more Mac ads than PC/Windows ones.

I also want to stomp the shit out of Wendy and her attitude! Wendy's IS FAST FOOD. IT IS COMPLETE AND UTTER SHIT. NO ONE SHOULD EAT IT. EVER. End of story.
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(hellotampon @ Oct 22 2008, 04:40 AM) *
I also want to stomp the shit out of Wendy and her attitude! Wendy's IS FAST FOOD. IT IS COMPLETE AND UTTER SHIT. NO ONE SHOULD EAT IT. EVER. End of story.

It's true, in my mind Wendy's is the very definition of fast food. It's not better just cuz you don't freeze your beef.
auralpoison
I *want* to hate the Mac ads. I do. BUT. John Hodgman turns my dork crank. Drew's ex can go eat a bag of dicks, but John Hodgman is the sexiest thing in birth control glasses since Drew Carey. I want to rock his world.

What is up with the Glade campaign? I saw one today where a woman tells her friend she's at the "spa" because she has some whiffy candles. There's another involving yoga, another with a woman that "baked" an apple pie, another where a woman tells her friends that her candles are "Gla-day". Since when did candles or smelly shit become a dirty little secret that a woman wants to hide from her friends? My house perpetually smells like a headshop because I like Nag Champa.
snow white
QUOTE(hellotampon @ Oct 19 2008, 06:06 PM) *

^ bad "acting"

and I just wanna slap Wendy and miss "Gla-day".
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Oct 22 2008, 07:15 PM) *
What is up with the Glade campaign? I saw one today where a woman tells her friend she's at the "spa" because she has some whiffy candles. There's another involving yoga, another with a woman that "baked" an apple pie, another where a woman tells her friends that her candles are "Gla-day". Since when did candles or smelly shit become a dirty little secret that a woman wants to hide from her friends? My house perpetually smells like a headshop because I like Nag Champa.

Candles are supposed to be expensive, like those Yankee candles you buy at the craft store for $20 a pop or the candles the sell at bath and body works. Cheap candles like the ones from glade, are for poor white trash who can't buy designer candles.
humanist77
I cringe everytime I see those nauseating kitchen appliance ads with Kelly Ripa-she's this oh-so-perfect, efficient, charming mommy who can boil water in just *90 seconds*!

And the ones for the washers & dryers where everyone in the family is complaining to the mom about their clothing being too clean, or the machines being too quiet...I know they're technically saying that the machines work *too* well, but it's just as irritating as them complaining about them not working well enough, and of course, to the mother, who washes EVERYONE'S clothing...it's like, do your own damn laundry! I'm always so pleased when a man is the central figure in a cleaning product commercial. SO rare.
pollystyrene
Sorry humanist, but as someone who grew up in the same house as you, I'm LMAO at you scoffing at people for not doing their own laundry!

Busted!
humanist77
never complained about it though

: P
mouse
i am totally confused by the new honda commercial where the girl in the suv picks up her friend and her friend is like "how was your day?" and she flashes back to her day. this is her day: go running with a presumably unused foldup bike in the trunk, pick up a painting and put it in her car, talk on the phone a little, and then take the painting back out of her car IN THE SAME PLACE SHE WAS PARKED WHEN SHE PICKED IT UP. i mean i guess if i got paid to take a painting for a short ride in the back of my car, i'd be happy too, but.....BUH???
roseviolet
QUOTE(hellotampon @ Oct 19 2008, 05:06 PM) *

I am creeped out by this ad, too, & I realized why. The mom in the ad does. not. blink. during the entire ad. Not once. At all. The total lack of facial expression makes her look like a soulless android. Nothing's creepier than watching some android say, "No, I love you more."
[shudder]
anna k
I liked the car commercials with Brooke Shields where she is condescending to a couple buying the "poor" choice of cars. "She's having a baby so she can buy the SUV." "No, I'm not!" "Please, don't be like Emily. "Lady, we can hear you!"

The "I'm a PC" commercial seem to air every five minutes, it was ridiculous. Though it did make me look up Rashad Evans because I wanted to know who he was.

I cringe everytime I see those nauseating kitchen appliance ads with Kelly Ripa-she's this oh-so-perfect, efficient, charming mommy who can boil water in just *90 seconds*!

She parodied herself on SNL in a fake commercial where she uses shampoo with crack cocaine in it and is completely hyper-psychotic.

really? uneducated, white trash springs to mind : P
not that everyone in the National Guard fits that, but it's certainly who recruiters go after..

It's terrible. It's pandering to the class of men who go off to fight in Iraq, like "If you're into NASCAR and country-rock music, the army is for you!"
kittenb
Sometimes men make me sad. I saw an ad for a Vaseline Intensive Care lotion that is pakaged in black and that ad went something like, "For stronger, more resilient skin." Really guys? Are you so afraid of losing your masculinity that even your hand lotion has to be tough?!

ETA: I love Kelly Ripa. I think she is really funny.
hellotampon
I noticed that too, kitten! There's also an ad for bodywash or shampoo that talks about "powering away" dirt and oil. The whole ad is full of somewhat aggressive language.
snow white
speaking of which, the other day in the shower i was checking out my boyfriend's axe moisturizing bodywash (ya, i'm weird), which promises "soft, strong feeling skin". lol. the axe loofa is also called a "detailing tool". very manly.
kittenb
QUOTE(snow white @ Oct 23 2008, 07:15 PM) *
the axe loofa is also called a "detailing tool".

biggrin.gif laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

mouse
re: mac ads...LOVE jon hodgman and, as a graphic designer, i am a hardcore mac person, so......i think they are clever, and while they're old news now of course, they've become awesome for spoofs (like this amazing no on proposition 8 ad running in CA right now). i do think that the "i'm a PC" retaliation campaign is totally smart and i love it--but hilariously those ads were created on a mac.
crazyoldcatlady
there's this "LOSE WEIGHT FAST" banner ad on myspace, with some normal looking woman's tummy showing. i'm not sure if they're implying she's the fat ("before") or the skinny ("after") picture.

fucking society.
snow white
i assumed she was the "after"
snow white
eHarmony is too much. "tanya-lee" needs a new hair-do. i relize she's a business woman but still... man, i need to throw the tv out.
freckleface7
the commerical of the guy in the crowded elevator that starts coughing and everyone (pointedly an attractvie woman slightly behind him) sort of pulls back & away from him in the tight space.. and then he's got some sort of freaky Talking Hand w/ his fist painted up like that.. and this Hand Thing is talking to him (split personality?) giving him advice on cough tablets maybe? I get lost in thinking nasty things like " "Rosie" and his 5 sisters" in regards to how close he seems to be w/ That Hand and the whole commerical is just obscene and stupid.
kittenb
QUOTE(freckleface7 @ Oct 28 2008, 01:30 PM) *
... the whole commerical is just obscene and stupid.

I've never really thought about that commercial. Now I will giggle every time I see it.
missladyj
the axe body spray add where the guy turns into chocolate ( it is a slight nod to black face maybe more than slight)and women are ripping his arm off, licking him and bitting his ass on the bus. It is just disgusting and offensive on many levels. Uggh

I also hate the Brooke Sheilds ads for the volkswagen . really just saying that women are having babies so that they can get some stupid fucking minivan. I'm so offended. fuck you Brooke.
jsmith
How about the overstock commercials with "It's Joey and Rory" Well, who's Joey and who's Rory? Both of those names sound unisex to me.
The first commercial they came out with was cute, but the second one annoys me. Her voice is too country in that one (this from someone who detests country music, so no wonder).
snow white
QUOTE(missladyj @ Nov 1 2008, 03:17 PM) *
I also hate the Brooke Sheilds ads for the volkswagen . really just saying that women are having babies so that they can get some stupid fucking minivan. I'm so offended. fuck you Brooke.

ew, yeah, those commercials seemed a little in bad taste when i first saw them, b/c i immediatly corrolated Sheild's well-known post-pardem depression thing with "have a babies for love, not german engineering"... just alittle weird. god, i hate that i even thought that. it just seems like the pot calling the kettle black, yes, i thought it! i feel so anti-woman right now. anyone else know what i mean?
freckleface7
I'm w/ you snow white: vw used to have some of the best commericials on tv (da da da- uh uh uh) but if they've changed their add company it was a Big mistake.
not to mention that the whatever it's called & it's 'german engineering' is made almost entirely in the US & Mexico
(when researching future vehicals, I immed went to the vw site as the mr & I are huge fans of them & have owned several) so the whole thing, besides just being stupid & sick, is also phoney baloney to me all around.
I'd rather see 'the Hoff' in more of their adds than her. she's just not it & I don't get the connection to the product.

jsmith: what is the 'joey & rory' adds for?
humanist77
URRRR with the Wendy's commercials of late-if I have to hear her say "chicken sandwich" one more time...
and "flavor dipped" sounds/looks like the most vomitous crap ever made.
kari
Humanist, I know! Those sandwiches in the Wendy's commercial look so disgusting. Mr K and I were just wondering the other day if the commercial actually causes anyone to crave one of the sandwiches. Gross.

Does anyone else have a Shane Company jewelry store nearby? If so, are your radio stations overrun with constant Shane Co. ads? They are sooooo annoying. This guy going on and on about how you should buy your fiancee the biggest ring you can afford.
pollystyrene
This is from a link posted in the Bizzarro Websites thread:

12 Crazy Old Ads
humanist77
WOW. Some of those are just MADNESS. My favorites were the 'More Doctors Smoke Camels', and the last one starting your infant on a strict regimen of soda as early as possible because it "Promotes Active Lifestyle!", "Boosts Personality!" and (my favorite) "Gives Body Essential Sugars!" The whole paragraph in the ad is just astounding.

WOW, the world was just as, if not more fucked up in our (grand)parent's time.

Ewww and the little girl(?) in the Love's Baby Soft ad-it's pedo-rrific!

I dunno about you, Kari-but the sight of slimy, neon-red glaze sure gets my mouth watering!
lilacwine13
There are Shane Co. jewelry stores in Arizona, so I've heard those ads and yes, they were all over the radio. I think I've blocked out most of it, but I do remember how the announcer would go on about how you needed a huge, diamond ring and how if you were a guy you would be clueless about it. Pretty stupid.
rubberdollz
Ok has anyone seen the tv ads for the high fructose corn syrup? The people that are saying no don't eat/drink that are like retards who know nothing about WHY you shouldn't be eating/drinking... only that it is bad. Then the person who is trying to eat/drink the item is like oh it's made out of corn and is fine.... IN MODERATION! Those commercials drive me batty.

Another one that you guys are discussing is the axe body wash or spray ads. Are you serious? That crap smells like shit half the time anyways and then you think that women suddenly turn into whores when a guy is wearing it? REALLY?!?!?! Some dude came up and smelled like that, I'd turn and run...
girltrouble
online stock commercials. i cannot stand that goddamn stock buying "can i hit you back, girl?" asshole talking baby. i hate talking babies. in all circumstances. personally i think children should have their mouths taped shut until they can say something intelligent... maybe till they are 12. ok, 18. but i cannot stand those commercials. i also hate that schmuck who says he just "bought stock in hong kong...that's in china!!!" look, i know where hong kong is, asshole, and i wish you were there....

i know what you mean about the axe/tag commericals, and teen boys seem to bathe in it, but i have to admit i love the old spice commercials.
mouse
NEWSFLASH EVERYONE: wendy's IS fast food ! *gasp* rolleyes.gif

those old ads are funny--i love back when people thought cigarettes and sugar was good for you. man, to live in those times.... tongue.gif

however, that puma blowjob ad is from just recently.

the brooke shield ruton ads don't offend me, i just DON'T FUCKING GET THEM. i don't understand the concept AT ALL.
rubberdollz
Holy crap Mouse I was thinking THE SAME THING!! I do not get the Brooke Shield's ads about Volkswagen at all??? What is the point??? Anyone... anyone.....

When I was younger I used to never understand the "where's the beef" commericials. I was like what's that ladies problem, how much does she need???

GT... you should talk to my husband, he hates when children are on tv. In movies is the worse. Sometimes he won't even like a movie just based on the kids that were in it. He's like oh god that kid is annoying! Why did they have to go and ruin the movie with that kid in it????
hiddenpoet
i've only seen the ad for two days and i'm already pressing mute whenever i hear it coming.
it's TLC's new ad for the jon and kate show or their families shows in general. two separate ads with the same annoying song every single commercial break!
kittenb
Confession: I think the Brooke Shields/Volkswagon ads are hilarious.
girltrouble
uh... me too, kitten... i think they are a riot...
hellotampon
What's with the low-dose aspirin commercial that shows a bunch of "researchers" "working" in the "low dose aspirin research facility?" I mean it actually SAYS "low dose aspirin research facility" across the top of the wall, I guess in case the "researchers" forget where they are.

Sorry about all the "quotes." haha
auralpoison
I, too, laugh at the Brooke Shields/Volkswagon ads. I mean, HITLER came up with the idea of the "people's car", hence the Volkswagon, so that's just fucked up, but I STILL miss the ads with Peter Stormare pimping things. BS's *supposed* obliviousness to the moral implication of getting knocked up just to get an SUV cracks me up.

The daytrader baby, though. I want to drown it in it's next "no tears" bath. I HATE that baby. HATE it.
mouse
ok, those of you who enjoy the brook shields volkswagen ads, can you EXPLAIN them to me? maybe i'm thick but it just seems like a joke that juuuuust misses its punchline and timing. why would having a baby let people buy a car? or is that the joke? if so, i just don't find that funny. it falls flat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.