Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: !@#$%&* Annoying Ads
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
auralpoison
If I actually understood them, I probably wouldn't laugh so hard at them. It's not obvious funny like Peter Stormare, but it's funny.
girltrouble
it's absurdist. people don't get pregnant for the car, it's the humor of an imaginary trend, and someone "speaking out" against the imaginary trend...

now i've gone and ruined it.

meh.

i like the pimped out ads better too.
kari
I don't get the VW ads either. ?
kittenb
To me they are funny because so much pressure from having a baby seems to be the pressure to buy new stuff. I am not saying that that is why people procreate but it makes me laugh that the ads act like some people have babies just for the accessories.
Eh, it makes me laugh. smile.gif
rubberdollz
Hahaha... even after all that explanation I'm still confused but if you have to explain a joke it's not going to be funny afterwards. It's lost.

Holy shit AP!!! hahaha... that poor baby wouldn't even know what's coming....
snow white
i thought since the VW Routon was the "stylish" modern day mini-van, it was manditory for a woman to have at least one kid in order to get one. and then it spins off in my mind to include that all women really want out of life, at least comfortably middle class married women, is a VW Routon therefore they need to get knocked up by their sweater vest wearing husbands in order to justify getting one... so, yeah, confusing; vaguely funny by playing off the "'keep up the middle class family jones'" vibe, and um... yep, thats it.

and then of course you have brooke shields (unintentional face of post-pardum depression) warning against friviolous baby havin' just for a car
Christine Nectarine
i've been following this discussion, and was really confused about the VW ads everyone was on about. apparently they are running totally different campaigns in the US and Canada. I think this VW Routan ad they are running here north of the border is actually pretty funny! and not so confusing apparently. blink.gif

Blushed
I am not a big fan of the Subway commercials "5 dollar foot long" or the Geico commercials. Every time they come on...I look for the remote. It's that bad!
mouse
the bk commercial where the guy almost gets hit by a bus and then flashes back to his life of eating chicken sandwiches bugs me because the first shot is of him as a 10 year old (ish) kid and a voiceover saying "1979" and no fucking way is the guy in the commercial 40 years old. 27, MAYBE. psshh.
Blushed
When I meant Geico...I should be more specific because they have so many. I love the lizard and Mrs. Butterworth ones...hate the caveman dancing commercial. Or, "Thats all state Stan".
juls
Denta Bone commercials... with the focus on the dog's mouth... chewing/licking/sloberring noise, fucking gross.
ihateoly
The talking baby commercial where the baby spits up (that is so fucking gross) and any commercial that has an animated cartoon illness/cootie/virus/sore, etc. Like the one for the toe nail fungus that pops open a toe nail like a car hood and the talking boogers for Mucinex! Why?! And the "I have genital herpes" ones.
geekchickknits
QUOTE(juls @ Nov 21 2008, 10:26 PM) *
Denta Bone commercials... with the focus on the dog's mouth... chewing/licking/sloberring noise, fucking gross.

I feel exactly the same way.

Who decided that it was a good idea to amplify the sound of a dog eating?
pollystyrene
QUOTE(ihateoly @ Nov 22 2008, 02:18 PM) *
The talking baby commercial where the baby spits up (that is so fucking gross)

OMG, has anyone mentioned the Huggies ad (I actually paid attention to who made it!) where the dad is changing the kid's diaper (which is amazing enough!), it looks like at a party- he's in a suit, and it's on a bed where all the guests have out their coats. He takes the kid's diaper off and piss just starts shooting out, like 8 feet into the air, all over the place and he grabs a fresh diaper and holds it over the kid's junk.......WTF? blink.gif Horrifying.
rubberdollz
Ok holy shit I was just thinking about those toe-nail commercials where they zoom in on people's feet and then it's like a talking fungus. Those are nasty!!! I mean who the fuck wants to look at someone else's feet in the first place? I can't stand feet and then to see them up close!

Does anyone remember that lady who got famous because she could bulge her eyes out??? She ended up doing I think like a cell phone commercial and her eyeballs would bulge out of her head. That alone would make my eyes hurt and I'd turn away or close my eyes. I couldn't stand watching that happen.

Oh yeah that baby peeing commercial I don't know why but I find it hilarious! I think it's the fact that the kid is like shooting pee out of it 8 feet in the air in someone else's bedroom... those poor bastards!
kittenb
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Nov 23 2008, 12:44 AM) *
OMG, has anyone mentioned the Huggies ad (I actually paid attention to who made it!) where the dad is changing the kid's diaper (which is amazing enough!), it looks like at a party- he's in a suit, and it's on a bed where all the guests have out their coats. He takes the kid's diaper off and piss just starts shooting out, like 8 feet into the air, all over the place and he grabs a fresh diaper and holds it over the kid's junk.......WTF? blink.gif Horrifying.

This really happens with boy babies. I don't know if it is the air touching the boy bits or what but when changing a boy's diaper you must always have the second one ready to place over the boy bits. I learned that one the hard way. laugh.gif
Christine Nectarine
QUOTE(kittenb @ Nov 23 2008, 10:36 PM) *
This really happens with boy babies. I don't know if it is the air touching the boy bits or what but when changing a boy's diaper you must always have the second one ready to place over the boy bits. I learned that one the hard way. laugh.gif

totally not related to the topic of this thread, but must be noted: it happens with little girl babies too. it would shock you the kind of distance they can get! trust me on this one. a better solution (because i know you want to know) is to open the diaper and quickly close it again, thus avoiding the waste of a second diaper! wink.gif
pollystyrene
Oh, I know it really happens, and I've witnessed it. It's just not something I need to see in a commercial. Bodily fluids, and most bodily functions=not cute. (I'm not so uptight I can't handle a burp or fart joke wink.gif _
Christine Nectarine
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Nov 24 2008, 12:24 AM) *
Oh, I know it really happens, and I've witnessed it. It's just not something I need to see in a commercial. Bodily fluids, and most bodily functions=not cute. (I'm not so uptight I can't handle a burp or fart joke wink.gif _

what gets me too is that it's another example of the "hapless father" in advertising. the rare occasion you see men in the parenting role in commercials, more often than not something goes wrong, or the guy is portrayed as a buffoon. or he's doing the mom "a favour" like the kids are not primarily his responsibility too. now that i think about it, i hated those commercials that i think were for KFC. The catch phrase said you should order dinner to "give mom the night off!" yuck.
ihateoly
QUOTE(Christine Nectarine @ Nov 24 2008, 11:50 AM) *
what gets me too is that it's another example of the "hapless father" in advertising. the rare occasion you see men in the parenting role in commercials, more often than not something goes wrong, or the guy is portrayed as a buffoon. or he's doing the mom "a favour" like the kids are not primarily his responsibility too. now that i think about it, i hated those commercials that i think were for KFC. The catch phrase said you should order dinner to "give mom the night off!" yuck.

I totally agree. Ever notice that the only men in any cleaning commercials are the Bam! Off guy, Mr. Clean and the Oxy Clean guy? Anything from Clorox, Lysol, Scrubbing Bubbles, paper towels and such all have women holding toilet brushes and Swiffer dusters. Because, obviously, men can't clean a house. Ugh.
rubberdollz
QUOTE(ihateoly @ Nov 24 2008, 02:36 PM) *
I totally agree. Ever notice that the only men in any cleaning commercials are the Bam! Off guy, Mr. Clean and the Oxy Clean guy? Anything from Clorox, Lysol, Scrubbing Bubbles, paper towels and such all have women holding toilet brushes and Swiffer dusters. Because, obviously, men can't clean a house. Ugh.

Oh the woman is in the kitchen cleaning up the counters after their piggish kids or husband leave the mess like a bunch of a*holes.

That Bam guy is way annoying. Shut the f* up already! How many infomercials is that guy going to be on!?!?!?!
Infomercials now there is another bad thing to watch super late at night. Man those will reel you in....
ihateoly
QUOTE(rubberdollz @ Nov 24 2008, 09:18 PM) *
Oh the woman is in the kitchen cleaning up the counters after their piggish kids or husband leave the mess like a bunch of a*holes.

That Bam guy is way annoying. Shut the f* up already! How many infomercials is that guy going to be on!?!?!?!
Infomercials now there is another bad thing to watch super late at night. Man those will reel you in....

God, I know. I am ashamed to admit how much shit I have bought from those things. I bought the Proactive, the Murad, the mineral make-up, the Winsor pilates and those depression tapes. Jesus, I sound pathetic! Ha! I liked the depression tapes and the make-up. The rest was just crap that I wasted money on. I sooo don;t watch infomercials anymore. I don't know how it happens, but I get sucked in.
Lily_Anne
QUOTE(ihateoly @ Nov 24 2008, 02:36 PM) *
Because, obviously, men can't clean a house. Ugh.

Hee hee. Take a look at this book . It makes me giggle.
snow white
QUOTE(ihateoly @ Nov 26 2008, 10:17 PM) *
God, I know. I am ashamed to admit how much shit I have bought from those things. I bought the Proactive, the Murad, the mineral make-up, the Winsor pilates and those depression tapes. Jesus, I sound pathetic! Ha! I liked the depression tapes and the make-up. The rest was just crap that I wasted money on. I sooo don;t watch infomercials anymore. I don't know how it happens, but I get sucked in.

omg, i know. i manage to avoid actually *buying* the stuff but i do get reeled in. i bought the Bender Ball (the instuctional tape is impossible to follow but i still want those killer abs so i might give it another try). how was the Proactive? just today i was looking at the marie osmond ad for nutra system and thinking how much i want to try that. i don't need to lose weight but i want food sent to my door! like glamourous meal on wheels.
ihateoly
QUOTE(snow white @ Nov 30 2008, 10:59 PM) *
omg, i know. i manage to avoid actually *buying* the stuff but i do get reeled in. i bought the Bender Ball (the instuctional tape is impossible to follow but i still want those killer abs so i might give it another try). how was the Proactive? just today i was looking at the marie osmond ad for nutra system and thinking how much i want to try that. i don't need to lose weight but i want food sent to my door! like glamourous meal on wheels.

Well, the proactive stinks. It's chock full of chemicals and it doesn't remove make-up well at all. I should have known not to buy something that Judith Light, Jessica Simpson and all of those other B-D List celebrities were hocking. Don't let Marie Osmond take you! For as much money as you would spend on that crap food, you could just as easily see a nutritionist and take a couple of cooking classes. Although, the idea of people delivering delicious food to my door that is not diet food sounds fantastic. I want pizza.
kittenb
With regards to the cleaning commercials, has anyone else seen this: Target Women: Cleaning your %^$#& house.
mouse
http://www.whoppervirgins.com/

no. words. i have no words to express how appalling this is. i can't even begin. oh wait, yes i can: DO PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT IN ZIMBABWE THE FOOD CRISIS IS SO AWFUL THAT PEOPLE HAVE TAKEN TO PICKING UNDIGESTED GRAINS OUT OF CATTLE DROPPINGS AND MAKING FLOUR FROM THEM? OR THAT IN HAITI THE ONLY FOOD ITEM THAT MANY PEOPLE CAN AFFORD CONSISTS MOSTLY OF CLAY? this campaign not only seems deeply vulgar and ignorant in the face of these things, but also LEAVE EM THE FUCK ALONE! processed, sweetener-laden, gmo-modified-soy-stuffed unsustainable "meat" and empty-calorie wonderbread have harmed enough people! fucking christ, if there are parts of the world that haven't been reached by the fast food mindset, PLEASE LEAVE IT THAT WAY! it's not like you DON'T FUCKING MAKE ENOUGH MONEY! AAAAAAAAEJSHDGDRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JHGEIGI#(YR @&*^$!^$
ihateoly
QUOTE(mouse @ Dec 5 2008, 12:03 AM) *
http://www.whoppervirgins.com/

no. words. i have no words to express how appalling this is. i can't even begin. oh wait, yes i can: DO PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT IN ZIMBABWE THE FOOD CRISIS IS SO AWFUL THAT PEOPLE HAVE TAKEN TO PICKING UNDIGESTED GRAINS OUT OF CATTLE DROPPINGS AND MAKING FLOUR FROM THEM? OR THAT IN HAITI THE ONLY FOOD ITEM THAT MANY PEOPLE CAN AFFORD CONSISTS MOSTLY OF CLAY? this campaign not only seems deeply vulgar and ignorant in the face of these things, but also LEAVE EM THE FUCK ALONE! processed, sweetener-laden, gmo-modified-soy-stuffed unsustainable "meat" and empty-calorie wonderbread have harmed enough people! fucking christ, if there are parts of the world that haven't been reached by the fast food mindset, PLEASE LEAVE IT THAT WAY! it's not like you DON'T FUCKING MAKE ENOUGH MONEY! AAAAAAAAEJSHDGDRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JHGEIGI#(YR @&*^$!^$

Seriously! You forgot to mention all of the millions of acres of land that these fast food companies use in these countries to raise cattle and the factory farm atrocities. *shakes head* It's pretty fucked up.
auralpoison
After seeing that, I'm not so mad at what I was mad about before: commercials with doorbells. I wind up getting up every fifteen minutes to check the damn door because I hear the bell & there is nobody there.

I do not have a Bender Ball, but I do have a ball. It's big & hourglass shaped. I like it. It makes my back less hurt-y.
crazyoldcatlady
kittenb, i have a mad girlcrush on sarah haskins. but seriously, i hate the sweater-set wardrobe in those commercials, too! i thought i was being paranoid? who cleans like that? big girl period undies and a braless, ratty teeshirt are where it's at. make a commercial out of THAT, assholes.

and mouse: ew. just ew.

eta, b/c ap's post reminded me: that fucking HALLS commercial where these people cram into the elevator, and this dude is changing the ringtones on his pager that happen to be the exact ones on mine. i fucking go into convulsions each time i hear it, pavlov-style, thinking it's mine.
geekchickknits
QUOTE(snow white @ Nov 30 2008, 10:59 PM) *

One of my friend had really horrible acne, and one day I noticed how much better his skin was looking, and he was using proactive - all of the chemical treatments he had been on hadn't worked, but proactive did.
missladyj
word mouse on the fucked up whopper virgins. I cringe everytime I see that shit.

I am totally annoyed by the Kelly Ripa electrolux commericals. That bitch is not cooking or grocery shopping nor is she a regular mom. She must have someone to do all that shit for her. She is not using that range to boil water in 90 seconds. No muthafuckin way!
freckleface7
I am loving the newest Old Navy commercial w/ the 'I Love Candy' music playing. makes me want to dance every time.

however, that Halls commercial CoC-- what bugs me is the old lady w/ the flowers and how she slothily swings her tacky bedazzled gold wedge sandel in right as the door is about to slide shut & lumbers in, mindless of how much space is needed for a huge bouquet like that. - what- she cannot possibly wait another 2 minutes for the next lift?

I also really hate the latest commercials for the nc state lottery w/ the creepy guy in the silver coat & slimey smile.
probably he's supposed to seem cheesey, but it has me thinking I'd do just about to avoid running into him, imcluding not playing the lotto even if I was a hardcore gambler.
rubberdollz
You know which commercial cracks me up... that dollar commercial for the cell phone I think? The dude is dressed up like George Washington and singing that LL Cool J song, I don't know why but I crack up everytime! Especially when he rolled up the window in his beat up Cutlass... hahaha....

I hate those commercials for cotten underwear where the women are all ripped and in shape, doing stretches on balls to show how flexible the underwear is. I mean really? Who is wearing underwear that is not conforming to your body... seriously you should be doing some research into some good undies, but I don't need some buffed out woman to show me how comfortable my underwear should be.
freckleface7
the new geico add w/ the song ' I always feel somebody's watching me' w/ the freaky stack of money w/ eyeballs on top of it. seriously- wtf?

and I always found those ridiculous adds of the women prancing around in their hanes underware (esp the one where they are on their tiptoes at the end arm to arm in an outword circle as they look awkward & out f step w/ one another) unbelievably annoying.
right up there w/ say.. mimes that mock you.
geekchickknits
(on the one US channel I get on my bunny ears)

Has anyone seen that Target commercial where the kids are doing a school x-mas pagent and it's all about shopping at Target for your gifts? As I was watching it, and started thinking about the branding that is coming into public schools and thought, "this could actually happen."
freckleface7
QUOTE(geekchickknits @ Dec 11 2008, 11:07 AM) *
(on the one US channel I get on my bunny ears)

Has anyone seen that Target commercial where the kids are doing a school x-mas pagent and it's all about shopping at Target for your gifts? As I was watching it, and started thinking about the branding that is coming into public schools and thought, "this could actually happen."

that is very true geekchickknits, but (not saying it makes it ok) Target also has an on-going school fundraiser program too; for every _$'s you spend there, they contribute _ % of said dollars to the school of your choice, provided it's on their list (frecklette's ele was, but not her middle or high school so the money still goes to her ele).
is it still branding ? very much so, but at least it's done so w/ a little community responsibility too.

for that it's worth, the whole point of the kids shilling products in that commercial is totally lost on me as I tend to focus only on the socially correctness of the outfits & the parents stupid expressions.
candycane_girl
Ugh, there is a new Burger King ad for something called the Angry Whopper. It pretty much consists of some British woman screaming.
humanist77
The latest holiday themed Best Buy commercial with the female employee yammering about some twat getting an ipod and accessories for Hanukkah makes me want to stab the television.
kittenb
If I never again see the Netflix/XBox commercial where the back of the woman's head opens up into a stage or whatever I will be a VERY happy kitten.
pollystyrene
Oh yes, those are very creepy, kitten.
rubberdollz
I totally agree! Those things are way too creepy... when they start turning the head around so you can see what's going on behind there, gross!
auralpoison
Burger King is releasing a limited edition Whopper scented cologne for men. The ad will give you nightmares for days.
pollystyrene
What a coincidence, ap- an article about the reaction to those Whopper Virgin ads.

Whopper-scented cologne? I think I just threw up A LOT in my mouth.
kittenb
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Dec 16 2008, 03:10 AM) *
Burger King is releasing a limited edition Whopper scented cologne for men. The ad will give you nightmares for days.

That commercial was like the embodiment of thoes posters that were so popular in the 80's that would have a rose and glass of champagne on a black backdrop. Do you remember those posters? Sometimes they would also have a woman's eye. That commercial gave me the same weird feeling.
alluna
I had to stop watching daytime television while working at home because it pretty much bombards you with so many degrading trailer trash/grubby housewife commercials.

By 4pm I felt like I had a bad case of herpes, a need to go to community college, and soap scum that my neighbors all knew about. Boy, what a demographic.
auralpoison
It was the naked except for the animal skin rug & mask that got to me. The King has always given me the wiggins, but NAKED & reading poetry or whatever? EWWWWW.

Y'know, it's funny. I know plenty of men that do their own laundry, but in commercial land only women do it. I've never seen that stupid Snuggle Bear talk to a man about how good his shirts can smell.

This wasn't a great blog, we've read it all before. We know advertising is fucked up. But I find the over all hostility in the responses to it interesting.
rubberdollz
Ok if seeing the naked BK guy over and over again is supposed to help me buy that then that ad just went seriously wrong... or is it supposed to entice a man to buy it? If so then what kind of man? I don't know a lot of
men that find a half naked BK guy laying in front of a fire a good sales tactic.

I think it's totally sad that most commercials that have to do with cleaning or laundry or some other household chore really never involves a man doing any of it. It's all up to the women. Even cooking if the man needs to cook because the woman isn't around then he goes out for dinner.. KFC or something else. Sheesh is this really what we are raising? A world of incompetent men!
jsmith
QUOTE(freckleface7 @ Dec 9 2008, 05:01 PM) *
the new geico add w/ the song ' I always feel somebody's watching me' w/ the freaky stack of money w/ eyeballs on top of it. seriously- wtf?

I love that commercial! There's something cute about the stack of money with big eyes, with that weird music playing.
But then, I'm an unashamed strangeling blink.gif

How about that Guitar Hero (I think that's what it is) ad? How many times has someone on tv or in a commercial slid into view in their underwear and danced around to Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock and Roll"? It's so old! They need to let that one die already. If the guy wasn't so flippin hilarious with his bouncy curly hair that commercial would really make me gag.
kittenb
QUOTE(alluna @ Dec 16 2008, 10:14 AM) *
I had to stop watching daytime television while working at home because it pretty much bombards you with so many degrading trailer trash/grubby housewife commercials.

By 4pm I felt like I had a bad case of herpes, a need to go to community college, and soap scum that my neighbors all knew about. Boy, what a demographic.

laugh.gif Hahaha! I know what you mean. I see a lot of daytime TV and the commercials make me feel bad. It's not like I don't have a job, I just work weird hours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.