Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: !@#$%&* Annoying Ads
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
juls
QUOTE(humanist77 @ Dec 25 2008, 03:36 AM) *
pfff i still yell in theatres when they play commercials before a film. I paid $10 to see a movie, not car commercials!

fuck I am with you on that one...
mouse
QUOTE(SUPERLUVER @ Jan 6 2009, 04:53 PM) *
ok, well i may have just been in a bad mood yesterday, but i saw a tostitos commercial that really pissed me off. this girl is looking at tortilla chips, and she says, '14 ingredients, thats more people than i invited to the party,' and then her thoughts go on and on and it is kinda funny. then, she sees the tostitos bag and says 'three ingredients!' and puts in in her cart. no fricking way do tostitos have 3, count them, 3! ingredients in them. nothing that sits on a shelf in a gas station has 3 ingredients in it. so, little detective that i am, googled it today to find out, bc i dont happen to have a bag laying around. (if anyone does, please check it for me, ha!) so, long story short, frito-lay is very sneaky and they say their ingredients are BASED on 3 things, corn, oil, and salt. also, my bf and i have a $20 bet riding on the fact that there is more than 3 ingredients, and there website nearly brainwashed me into thinking that chips are healthy laugh.gif laugh.gif

haha....because corn, oil, and salt have always been held up as healthy foods rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

ETA: the thing that bugs me the most is that advertising like this really does rely on good ideas--it IS a good idea to eat foods with fewer ingredients! but it just tricks people who aren't motivated enough to do the research...sigh. hopefully it'll trickle down.
SUPERLUVER
ok, well i must set the record straight. i was in the store and decided to settle this tostitos inquisition once and for all, and was appalled to find out that ITS TRUE!! there are literally three ingredients listed. as much as i am shocked, i would like to offer my sincere apologies to the frito-lay company and its marketing department.
*bows*
auralpoison
QUOTE(mouse @ Jan 6 2009, 09:57 PM) *
haha....because corn, oil, and salt have always been held up as healthy foods rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

Wait. Salt isn't a healthy food group? I thought it went chocolate, salt, cheese, & booze? huh.gif
SUPERLUVER
you forgot the carb food group, perhaps the most nutrituous group of all!! laugh.gif
auralpoison
Oh yeah, starch. I went marketing this morning, my usual way skipping the center aisles where they keep the garbage, but I wanted some frozen veg & had to hit the dreaded freezer section. I stared at a bag of frozen waffle cut french fries for a good sixty seconds. Starchy, salty goodness. Even better with some cheese & green chile. Garg! I wound up buying a tiny minican of Pringles. Meh.
bottleblack
Has anyone seen the british cereal commercial with the couple..
"What else does the box say?"
"Box says shut up Steve.."

@#$%@#$!!!11
rubberdollz
Ok AP... the thought of you standing in a freezer aisle, deadlock on a bag of french fries, about made me die laughing!!! Your like the person that hovers in the freezer section looking and never buying anything... did you have the door open as well??? hahah... I love it!

What the f*?!?!?! 3 ingredients huh? Well they say 3 but they never said if they were healthy ingredients. Yeah some moron out there will think, oh 3 it must be "natural!" Does it say what kind of oil, probably nothing specific so of the many types of bad oils out there I'm sure they picked that one. Sad. It's like the high fructose corn syrup commercials... DUH!
mouse
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Jan 7 2009, 01:04 PM) *
Wait. Salt isn't a healthy food group? I thought it went chocolate, salt, cheese, & booze? huh.gif

if only...if only.

actually, i mean, corn oil and salt could be a lot worse. nobody's going to mistake it for a paragon of health, but tostitos are probably healthier than ruffles or whatever. relatively. not that that ever stopped me from purchasing a delicious, delicious bag of cheddar and sour cream.....
rudderlesschild
I can't help but giggle every time I hear:

"We can be slaves... or we can be... LICHENS!!!"

(Yes. I know it's really "Lycans". I just think it's way funnier that way.)
SUPERLUVER
yeah the GD oil is where they get you. corn and salt im ok with. although i prefer sea salt.

"there was.. salt on the glass. big grains of salt" laugh.gif
kittenb
Possibly an unpopular opinion, but the new KY ads w/the couples explaining why they use the lube always make me laugh.
candycane_girl
I'd just like to know why every stupid Glade ad paints women as crazy pathological liars? Their ads all feature women who lie about a. having a fancy scented candle from France, b. baking gingerbread cookies from scratch or c. pretending that they are at a spa when really they are just having a bubble bath at home. It drives me mad.
auralpoison
I really don't understand the prescribed shame in those ads, CCG. Why should I be ashamed that I didn't buy a "boutique" candle? What makes *candles* a status symbol? I can't even walk into a Yankee Candle store without getting nauseated & a headache because the scents are so overwhelming. My buddy Wayne worked in the shop in Cherry Creek & I couldn't even walk in.

The best stinky candles I've ever bought were made by the local place for developmental adults. They were subtle, burned forever, & were crazy cheap.

I have no candle shame.
rubberdollz
Ok what about those Pizza Hut ads where they are in some hip restaurant and talking about how they switched the pasta with Pizza Hut pasta and then tell everyone in the restaurant after they are all ranting and raving about how good it is. I mean really? WOW!!! You tricked people into eating Pizza Hut pasta?

I think those Glade commercials are supposed to just make women feel guilty if they really aren't spending hours in the kitchen every freaking day baking up a batch of gingerbread cookies. No instead she is lighting a candle and tricking her friends into thinking so. Ooohhh... a dumb candle. Alas though! Her trickery is caught by part of the wrapper stuck to her ass. See if she really had been in the kitchen baking for her friends then the lies would have never begun. Damn women.
auralpoison
QUOTE(rubberdollz @ Jan 11 2009, 06:24 PM) *
I think those Glade commercials are supposed to just make women feel guilty if they really aren't spending hours in the kitchen every freaking day baking up a batch of gingerbread cookies. No instead she is lighting a candle and tricking her friends into thinking so. Ooohhh... a dumb candle. Alas though! Her trickery is caught by part of the wrapper stuck to her ass. See if she really had been in the kitchen baking for her friends then the lies would have never begun. Damn women.

I really think the heart of those ads are about economics, not being in the kitchen. Yeah, yeah, pie, cookies, kitchen, but they all feature upwardly mobile women hanging out in upwardly mobile settings. EG: there's one where they are doing yoga at the one gal's house (I've only ever done yoga in a studio, natch.) where she catches hell over having her Gla-de wall plug in with it's natural relaxing scent. It's all about the ducats. She's supposed to be ashamed that she doesn't have any of the fancy schmancy scent thingies as opposed to having a candle she can buy at the grocery or Walmart.
auralpoison
The Sham Wow guy is now endorsing another product. Some kind of Slapchop thingie. He's apparently an ex-scientologist that tried to sue the organization, & the Farrelly Brothers/Twentieth century Fox because he claimed that some scenes were stolen from his production "Underground Comedy Movie" (I remember those ads, too, sadly enough).
foryoursplendor
Ok this is old news, but its new to me... the cave men from the geico ads were made into a sitcom... it must have flopped, but did anyone see it?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111796038...d=1236&cs=1
jsmith
QUOTE(rubberdollz @ Jan 11 2009, 06:24 PM) *
Ok what about those Pizza Hut ads where they are in some hip restaurant and talking about how they switched the pasta with Pizza Hut pasta and then tell everyone in the restaurant after they are all ranting and raving about how good it is. I mean really? WOW!!! You tricked people into eating Pizza Hut pasta?

I'd refuse to pay if someone pulled that on me. Then I'd tell them the food sucked - if I wanted Pizza Hut I would've gone there.
pollystyrene
I don't know why, but the new Cheetos commercials crack me up, especially "Bragging Mom" and "Mr. Clean".
girltrouble
i like those too poly. i love that chester is the devil on those people's shoulders. he's my new hero.

i just saw the new heinekin ads with john turturro. and i love them, but then, i will watch him in anything. i lurve him.

octobersky
Does anyone else get totally annoyed at the Altell wireless commercials with the smug Altell rep Chad? They just iritate the crap out of me. I think its because Altell takes cheap shots at their competitors while the other wireless providers don't seem to engage in that as much.
lilacwine13
Oh yes, I hate the Altell ads. Chad does not make me want to switch cell phone providers.
hellotampon
YES I HATE THOSE! I hate the smugness, and I hate how all the characters look and act like a bunch of overgrown 3rd graders.
kari
Polly, I saw one of those Cheetos commercials the other day. They are pretty funny.
octobersky
I think the other thing is that smug Altell Chad reminds me of the "O-Face" guy from Office Space.

And yes, the Cheetos commerical where she smears orange cheese on the snotty lady's white coat is amusing rolleyes.gif
rubberdollz
Those Alltel ads do suck. Like around Xmas when they got Santa involved, I mean come on! Stupid Chad.
snow white
those hideous "gla-day" commercials are becoming the new yoplait yogurt commercials. *shudder* just what we need.
hellotampon
That Celebrex commerical is sooooo long and boring. It loses my attention fairly quickly and then about 3 more times before it ends I look up and think "It's STILL going on?" It took me forever to realize what it was even for.
jsmith
QUOTE(octobersky @ Jan 21 2009, 06:16 PM) *
Does anyone else get totally annoyed at the Altell wireless commercials with the smug Altell rep Chad? They just iritate the crap out of me. I think its because Altell takes cheap shots at their competitors while the other wireless providers don't seem to engage in that as much.

I don't like the animated ones, they're creepy. And yeah, they do take cheap shots, although I have no problem with anybody slamming Sprint.

How about those Nation Wide commercials, where someone is standing at a window looking at her/his friend's car and asking about how much it costs to insure their badass car - and then catastrophic things happen to said car. I love those, they're so hilarious.
Life comes at you fast!!!
hellotampon
I'm getting sick of the Brinks security systems commercials. In every version there's a lone female in a giant rich-people house who gets the shit scared out of her by men in black ski masks trying to break in. Then the alarm goes off and the damsel in distress immediately pants, "hello???" into the phone and it's the Brinks people telling her everything is going to be okay because the alarm scared away the robbers/rapists.
hiddenpoet
i always feel pity for the redhead in the glade commercials when i see them. she attempts to please all these different people and then they just mock her for using glade. as though they themselves could do better.
jsmith
QUOTE(hellotampon @ Jan 24 2009, 01:15 PM) *
I'm getting sick of the Brinks security systems commercials. In every version there's a lone female in a giant rich-people house who gets the shit scared out of her by men in black ski masks trying to break in. Then the alarm goes off and the damsel in distress immediately pants, "hello???" into the phone and it's the Brinks people telling her everything is going to be okay because the alarm scared away the robbers/rapists.

Some of those make me laugh, because the scenarios seem so ridiculous. I can't imagine that many burglars are as stupid as those in the commercials.
I'm sure you've all noticed how Billy Mays (sp?) sells a ton of different products. I can't help but think that if the manufacturers of these products got someone else to push them on TV, they might get more sales rolleyes.gif
rubberdollz
I finally saw one of the new Chester Cheetohs commercials... hi larious! I love when the woman is patting that chic on the back and rubs the cheese all over her nice white coat. Bra vo. hehehe...
snow white
anyone seen the commercials with obama on them? what is that all about?
pollystyrene
I heard some pro-life Catholic group has a commercial using Obama as an example of "Thank God his mother didn't abort him". Is that the ad you're talking about?

Ridiculous.
jsmith
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Jan 27 2009, 03:47 PM) *
I heard some pro-life Catholic group has a commercial using Obama as an example of "Thank God his mother didn't abort him". Is that the ad you're talking about?

Ridiculous.

Holy damn, are you serious?
pollystyrene
Yep, here, I found it!
rubberdollz
I actually like the Progressive Auto Insurance ads... the chic they have on them is funny and cute to watch!

Today I saw some guy with a bumper sticker on his car that said abortions (and something else but I can't remember???) those liberals are killer! I was like what the f*?!?!?! Ugh... I wish I could remember the other part to that sticker but it was so annoying to look at that I sped away!
auralpoison
100 calorie packs. Why? I have a notion of a concept called "portion control". It means I only have two biscuits with my tea. Those two biscuits are less than 100 calories. I do not need to eat the whole flipping bag.

And the new adverts? With women turning into screaming maniacs because of an overturned 100 calorie pack delivery truck? Piss me off. It makes me want to go out & buy a whole pack of cookies to eat in front of those nutso women. I want to eat them with gusto & a big glass of whole milk.
rubberdollz
Those a*holes made yet another commercial promoting high fructose corn syrup! This time it's some guy letting his brother know that the cereal he's eating has hfcs in it. Great! Now I can run out and buy the Chocolate Rice Krispies cereal that I love because they say it's ok and OBVIOUSLY the brother does not know what he's talking about. He snatched that bowl pretty quick after his brother told him what's up! You go! Fuckers.
hellotampon
it's natural, like sugar.

and we all know how good sugar is for you.
cecilia
I was surprised to see they were still airing those HFCS ads, considering a study published last week found that half of products w/ HFCS tested contained measurable amounts of mercury:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9012601831.html

I suppose they could argue that mercury is "natural," but I think I'll stick with sugar and honey if I want something sweet.
auralpoison
I like how they say it's fine "in moderation". If you eat anything processed, you can bet your ass it's full of HFCS! It's probably the third ingredient. And since people don't read labels, they don't realize just how much HFCS they're actually consuming.
jsmith
I've seen some labels where it's the first ingredient. Disturbing, yes?
rubberdollz
Oh I know... they always have to throw that in... oh what do you know about it? Then they look dumbfounded by the question like they are shocked! Then they go on to say, well I know it's ok in moderation. Really well eat that yummy cereal you are consuming jerk.

Yeah I also saw that report about hfcs and mercury levels. Pretty sad and I figured the commercials were at an end as well after that report. Maybe the corn industry figures they better step up their game a little to help get hfcs back on the food pyramid. Cecilia, I'm sure there is something about there claiming mercury is safe and natural!!!! There has to be!

AP soooo true about it being in almost everything, along with msg. What amazes me is people not even realizing how bad msg is for you as well. They see those damn Campbell soup commercials claiming no msg but THERE IS! Or someone is on some damn diet like avoiding gluten but yet they'll consume msg like it's ok. What the f*?!?!?!

snow white
something about those chicks in the Gardisil (HPV vacc) commercials is getting pretty freakin annoying. what demographic are they aiming for? the urban art school, intellectual, kinda dumpy crowd??? 'cuz thats what i'm seeing.
candycane_girl
I have officially seen the funniest and most fitting ad ever. Billy Mays (the Oxiclean guy) is now shilling energy pills! I almost died laughing.
auralpoison
I hate Valentine's Day ads. They up the cheesy love factor.

I would personally LOVE to shank the people that run Pajamagram & Vermont Teddy Bears for their complete & utter ridiculousness in advertising. Pajmagram will get her to take her clothes off for sure! She'll turn into a simpering pile if you buy her a teddy bear with a tat & shades! ACK! HURL! BLECH!

If HB proffered dorky, ridiculous draws or an equally lame teddy bear, I'd punch him in the snoot. I want Omaha steaks.
rubberdollz
Ok those Vermont TB's are such a rip too! I mean it's a freaking teddy bear, not a diamond or something at least of some kind of value.

Omaha Steaks are good....mmmmm.....

CC Girl, funny because right after I read your post about Billy Mays I saw the commercial! That dude does not need to be doing anything about energy pills, the crack he's shooting is making him hyper enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.