Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: !@#$%&* Annoying Ads
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
mouse
WORD, bustygirl........somehow i ended up reading an article somewhere on fallout boy, and the dude was going on about how they had had all this mainstream success but were lucky cos they were never asked to compromise their musical integrity or change their ideas....and i just thought, DUDE, maybe it's because your IDEAS SUCK TO BEGIN WITH

/rant
girltrouble
ive never really heard fob other than that commecial, but mouse, you kill me.
candycane_girl
Is it just me or does the guy on the Sunsilk commercials sound like Charlotte's wedding planner on Sex and the City?

and I just have to say, I absolutely cannot stand Fallout Boy. ugh!
pinkpoodle
Yep, it's the same guy, candycane. Mario Cantone.
hellotampon
I didn't know who Fall Out Boy were, besides being some band I'd never heard, until last week I ran across an issue of Rolling Stone at someone's house and they were on the cover. I read the article and the guy they were making a big deal over is the bassist, and he seems like a huge ass... really immature and whiny and full of himself. Plus the article kept talking about how hot he is (really? I hadn't noticed that he was standing shirtless in front of the other clothed bandmates on the cover photo) and I don't even agree with that. Something about his picture bugs me. He looks like a pouty 12-yr-old who started puberty before any of his friends did.
bustygirl
really immature and whiny and full of himself

Which is why I hate emo. Call me a throwback, but I'd almost rather a guy be a macho jerk than a whiny crybaby. It makes me want to push them off the swings and take their lunch money.
doodlebug
Is that the dude who took naked pictures of himself in his bathroom mirror, and they wound up on the 'net?
girltrouble
He looks like a pouty 12-yr-old who started puberty before any of his friends did.
lol... that's my F-A-V-E! that's when they have the barely there starter mustache that insures that they look like a dork?! soooo hawt! no wonder rolling stone got a chub for him.
lilacwine13
I envy you who have never heard Fall Out Boy. I don't like them, yet the radio station I listen to plays them at least once an hour, and AZ Guy likes them, so he goes about singing their songs and they end up getting stuck in my head as well (thankfully he hasn't bought any of their CDs). That stupid Verizon commercial doesn't help matters either.
candycane_girl
ugh, I wish I didn't know who Fallout Boy was. I have no idea why their music is popular and I do not understand this new wave of crappy bands that are considered emo.

anyway, back to the ads...I hate the Doritos tandoori flavoured chips ad where the guy trades a man an otter for his daughter. fucking lame.
pinkpoodle
"It makes me want to push them off the swings and take their lunch money." Hahahaha!! I'll hold 'em down.

I don't know anything about Fall Out Boy either and I couldn't even name one of their songs.

girltrouble
oh god, me too. i remember the first time i saw the good dog ads...they are so sweet.

i've fallen in love with the bryman criminal school ads. why? cos of the lab scene where they are wearing safety glasses and using a computer. be careful. that thing might explode on you! you know how those computers are...frought with danger.
mornington
i hate fall out boy.... such a bunch of cocks. A friend of mine is throwing an "emo children's birthday party" for her 21st... we're playing "pin the cock on pete wentz". extra prizes for getting his forehead.

the domino's pizza advert. yes, the woman is incredibly annoying, but knocking her out with a meteor "pizza"? grr. they just sit there and eat it. and they look like the sort of blokes who're going to cop a feel if she's still out when they're done.

i love pet food commercials.

pinkpoodle
Awwww...that Pedigree ad brings tears to my eyes, too. It's a good thing though if it inspires even one person to go out and adopt a doggie. What a great ad.

"Pin the cock on Pete Wentz" Hahahahahaha!!

I'm seriously hating the Sunsilk "Blonde vs. Brunette" ads. C'mon, people. That's such a tired, unoriginal marketing scheme. I want Sunsilk to go away.
girltrouble
i hate all the peezza pie ads. as much as i love pizza (and i lurve me some pizza pie) they all suck! although i do like that pizza hut had queen latefa as the voice over artist on their ads. that was cool.

i'm super glad that nbc has stopped the stupid sloganeering for the heroes ads.

poodle, we all want sunsilk to go away. it's just one bad after another...

speaking of which, has anyone seen the new orvile redenbocker ads...just STOP! no one wants to see your weird reanimated spokesman. fucking do cartoons or something. just stop with the cgi.
pinkpoodle
I hope the Orville ads don't become as frequent as the Geico caveman ads.
mouse
gtrix, if you page back in the archives a bit, you'll see we're all up in arms about the orville deadenbacher crap.
bustygirl
OT, but Lilacwhine, the fact that your motto is a line from an Op Ivy song makes you my new hero. smile.gif
girltrouble
oh i know, mouse, i participated in it. but there is a newer one that just came out...as if the first wasn't bad enough.
mouse
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? WHY?? it was recieved so badly by EVERYONE!
girltrouble
beats the hellouta me. i heard an interview with orville's grand son, and he loves the reanimated ol' codger. he said it really captures something about his grandpa. i'd agree, if it reminds you your grandpa is a weird looking corpse.
auralpoison
Holy shit! They make Tandoori flavoured Doritos!?! Not fair not fair not fair!

I just saw a disturbing ad for a spicy sandwich of some sort that featured people with flames shooting out of their mouths.
lilacwine13
Aw, thanks, bustygirl. *blushes*

Call me weird, but seeing a robotic version of my grandpa, who died a couple years before Orville did, would creep me out big time, even more than those commercials. Apparently squicking people out paid off big time for them, although why you'd want your food associated with corpses and death is beyond me.
the_geiger
Mornington--emo kids birthday party sounds like an awesome theme

Right now I'm annoyed by the ad for the baseball video game that uses the song "Breed" by Nirvana. I feel like the television had stabbed me in that little piece of my heart that's still a badass high schooler and twisted.

girltrouble--the heroes sloganeering doesn't bother me nearly as much as the omnipresent Nissan Versa
candycane_girl
I can't believe they made another Orville Deadenbacher ad. Seriously, even the advertising magazine that sends me emails was taking a poll to ask people if they thought it was a huge misstep on the company's part. I would love to have been in the room when they came up with that idea.

"hey, so maybe the old man is dead but who says we can't have him in our newest ads?"
girltrouble
why you'd want your food associated with corpses and death is beyond me.

really? you don't know how stomach rottingly yummy the dead are? *licks her chops* i swear, i see a zombie movie and my stomach growls....they're better than ho-hos.

hmph. next thing you're going to tell me is you've never used rat poison as a condement.

"hey, so maybe the old man is dead but who says we can't have him in our newest ads?"

ccgirl you forgot the next part (which is my favorite)
"we knew you'd love this, so here he is!"
*exec rolls in stinky corpse*
grand son- "holy shit!"
other exec- "this is better than oprah! i love reunions..."
first exec-"so we can do this with strings! it'll be great like a marionette-- watch!"
*gets up on a table and manipulates the strings, dead orville dances until his head rolls off*
other exec-oh jeeze.
*picks up the head and uses it like a puppet*
other exec- "hey sonny!
*jaw drops off*
first exec-"hmmm we can do cgi on him right? otherwise we'll need a lot of bandaids..."
anna k
I like the commercial where a husband surprises his wife with their made-over house, made into a cheerleading haven with three cheerleaders chanting, "Welcome, welcome, welcome home!" The shocked look on the wife combined with the giddy head-bobbing of the husband cracks me up.

I don't care about the Orville commercials. He looks like Dana Carvey in old-man makeup.
lilacwine13
Actually, my preferred condiment is arsenic, rat poison's too salty. tongue.gif

Geiger, I had managed to successfully block that commercial from my memory, and now you reminded me. Thanks a lot. What's next, "Black Hole Sun" for Preparation H? (I know nothing's sacred for music in commercials anymore, but can't I be pissed off about it?)

ccgirl you forgot the next part (which is my favorite)
"we knew you'd love this, so here he is!"
*exec rolls in stinky corpse*
grand son- "holy shit!"
other exec- "this is better than oprah! i love reunions..."
first exec-"so we can do this with strings! it'll be great like a marionette-- watch!"
*gets up on a table and manipulates the strings, dead orville dances until his head rolls off*
other exec-oh jeeze.
*picks up the head and uses it like a puppet*
other exec- "hey sonny!
*jaw drops off*
first exec-"hmmm we can do cgi on him right? otherwise we'll need a lot of bandaids..."

That reminds me of a Monty Python sketch about a director working with the corpses of famous dead people in his latest film. Someone should have told the ad guys for Orville Redenbacher that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
girltrouble
lol... black hole sun...oh god that's awful.....
candycane_girl
It's ads like Orville Redenbacher that make me embarrassed to be an advertising student. Of course, it kind of reminds me why I wanted to get into ads in the first place. I see so many crappy ads that I always think "I can do better than that!"
pinkpoodle
Whoa whoa whoa....wait....they're using NIRVANA now??!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, I'm sure Kurt Cobain would love that. Nothin' surprises me anymore.

I'm sure we haven't seen the end of the Deadenbacher campaign. They'll definitely come up with more ads and we'll never escape (at least not anytime soon).
octobersky
Yeah I can't figure out what a baseball video game has to do with the Nirvana song "Breed" that really threw me off. That REALLY bothers me, it was bad enough to hear Iggy sell out to a cruise line and the Clash shilling cars, but Nirvana - that hurts. sad.gif

Maybe Courtney Love needed the money to pay for another stint in rehab?
girltrouble
ugh. the clash selling anything feels like some exec is sticking my side with a dirty shiv. the clash should not be used to sell product. ever. a line has to be drawn, and i say that is where it goes. iggy, nirvana, is madening, but the clash....oh!
culturehandy
ahahahahahaha deadenbacher, that is fantastic!
octobersky
I really think that when the music and the product don't mesh it really chafes me i.e. Wendy's with "Blister in the Sun" But I wasn't so upset when "Jane Says" was being used for Jack Daniel's they fit together in my mind or "Galvanize" being used for Budwieser, eh not so bad. I'm not thrilled, but not completely outraged either.

I really need to see those Deadenbacher ads.....
candycane_girl
I haven't seen the ads that use Nirvana but I hate the ad for some video game that has the Gary Jules version of Mad World. It just seems so wrong.
quietmadness
Have y'all seen those ads for Citibank? The ones where either the girl goes jogging with her boyfriend driving her car so she can listen to the stereo while she's running? Gah! Drives me BANANA SANDWICH!! I freakin' HATE it when the damned car comes to the bottom of the hill and scrapes the front end.

And the other one where that group of dumbasses are all riding thier bikes? Only one guy doesn't HAVE a bike, and he's "making believe" that he's riding along with the others.

Aaaarrrrghhh! mad.gif BANANAS!

--Quiet--
girltrouble
the mad world with the videogame ad kinda fits with me. and galvanize-- well it doesn't bug me if the music is just a pop triffle or just music, it's when the band is political or the song has a specific point it's trying to get across, or even a title that has nothing to do with the product. but blister in the sun has to be the worst just because the name of the song is so...wrong with food.
candycane_girl
I'm confused...when listening to the lyrics of Blister In The Sun. How is it related to masturbation?

I don't mind the citibank ad with the girl that's jogging, but the guy with the make believe bike drives me crazy!
girltrouble

i think these lines might make it a bit more obvious....

Body and beats I stain my sheets I dont even know why
My girlfriend shes at the end she is starting to cry
Let me go on like I blister in the sun
Let me go on big hands I know your the one...

gah! they won't stop showing the fall out boy commercial! wah! make it stop!

thingsarenice
Speaking of the Verizon commercial that everyone hates so much, has anyone ever noticed that when he answers the call from his "lady", he greets her with, "Hey dude!" Just found that interesting.

My current hate: The Quiznos commercial where the woman says something about the sandwich, "not lacking any meat" and that, "that's what a real woman needs!", and then shrilly cackling. I think she's trying to be like, playfully sexual but it's just so gross and annoying.

And lastly, if you do a Google image search for "Erin Esurance" without the filtering on, the first page will include a really poorly done naked drawing of her. I found this a little disturbing, but not particularly surprising.
pinkpoodle
That Quizno's commercial is sooooo annoying!! I pause and cringe everytime that woman shows up on screen. HEEEEEEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEEEEEEEEE!!!
juls
Is it just me, or is that Hairapy commercial pitting blondes against brunettes so fucking insulting to the female gender! Just makes me want to buy their color boost shit and shove it down their marketing team's throats...
Moon
Is it just me, or is that Hairapy commercial pitting blondes against brunettes so fucking insulting to the female gender! Just makes me want to buy their color boost shit and shove it down their marketing team's throats...

Oh.my.god.
YES!
I loathe this commercial!
lilacwine13
Rudderless, I hate that commercial too; and no, making the kid clean it up with his tongue is not unreasonable.
aunt agonist
the sunsilk blond/brunette ad exec and the dove 'real beauty exec' should get locked in a cage and fight to the death. i vote for the dove ad exec she (and you KNOW it's a she) would totally whup him while we all gave her a standing ovation.
Marinegal
Oh, I hate that Hairapy commercial too. Why can't we all just get along!?!

What I really hate are all the commercials before you watch a movie. Yes, I understand sitting through previews but I don't want to also sit through soft drink and snack food commercials too. I paid $10 to sit and watch something without commercials. Oww, I just hate it. Oh and the "stop piracy" commercials before movies, hey, I paid, I'm in the movie theatre, jerk, so don't preach to the choir.
candycane_girl
marinegal, my friends and I always make fun of the anti movie piracy ads. I mean seriously, each time we're like "We're at the theatre!!"

I hate those Hairapy blonde vs. brunette ads. They're just ridiculous.

kittenb
I've been watching 24 this season, doing a "tape one, watch the other" with Heros. it's not that the commercials are all that bad as much as there are just so many! The problem with a show that is timed is that you see that you got four mimutes of show between commercials.
pinkpoodle
I haven't seen those trucks, rudderless, but they sound awfuly creepy!

The piracy "messages" crack me up, too. How can the movie/cinema industry expect viewers to take that shit seriously when they're forced to watch 20 minutes worth of ad crap before they get what they're paying for. C'mon...who's really getting ripped off in that situation? Besides, it's unlikely that anyone who pirates music or movies is gonna take that message seriously.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.