Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: !@#$%&* Annoying Ads
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
hellotampon
Are you talking about the piracy ads that are really fast-paced, with the grinding music, etc.? Because those always baffled me mostly because it looks like they're trying to make piracy look cool.
pinkpoodle
Heh...rudder, that one kinda makes me laugh, actually.

Okay, so I saw an ad this morning for an Equity IRA plan (aimed at aging boomers, of course) and it had text written on lava lamp bubbles with "Season of Loving" by The Zombies(?) playing in the background. Seriously, these hippie financial planning ads are really getting on my nerves.
emlikesart
OK, has anyone else seen the new Starburst Berries and Cream one where some kids are eating the candy, and then some dude from like, Shakespear times or something, pops up and starts singing "Berries and Cream! I'm a little lad who loves berries and cream!" ???

I don't understand this one bit! WTF?? I saw the commercial the other day and yelled out my husband "Are they being stupid just for the sake of stupid these days?". Of course he answered "Yes".

Barf.
pinkpoodle
Yeah, advertisers are really abusing the "weird" thing lately. That ad you're talking about doesn't make any sense. Actually, I think that's what they were going for.
pollystyrene
Or the Skittles ones with the little man who hangs from the ceiling to catch the Skittles leaking? I think now they have the screeching rabbit. Amusing a few times, then annoying.
pinkpoodle
That Skittles ad with the little man is weird as hell. It's not even "funny weird." I haven't seen the other one you're talking about.
pollystyrene
Here's one of them; I've seen a couple more.
mouse
i think the idea is clever--i actually like ads that aren't straightforward like that--but the way the wife reacts pisses me off. she could at least laugh--it's stupid but funny. it just reinforces the stereotype of husbands as goofy little boys who just want to have fun, and wives as the mother or nanny who always tells them "no".
pollystyrene
I kinda like the Sponge Bob No Pants commercial, but that's very true, mouse.
thingsarenice
I keep seeing these Sherwin-Williams trucks on the road, they have the creepiest logo I've ever seen. A giant paint can is overturned above a miniature earth, pouring red paint all over it - it looks like the earth is bleeding profusely. And the slogan is almost as bad - "Cover the Earth"!

That's been their logo for forever. In fact, I was just reading Memoirs of an Ex-Prom Queen and that same logo is mentioned in a passage set in the 1940's.
hellotampon
If my boyfriend did the sponge bob no pants thing, I wouldn't laugh either.
candycane_girl
Okay, so this isn't a television ad and I've only seen it around Toronto but I have to mention it.

There's this new channel called Slice and their slogan is "my vice is Slice". Anyway, all around the Toronto subway staions there are these stupid ads and they just have a picture of a woman and then a quote. It's the quotes that get to me, so I've decided to share all the ones that I've seen:

"I watch Slice because my real life friends are so boring. And, I hope, illiterate."

"If I wanted to be smarter I'd watch a book."

What the hell? So basically this channel is for people who have boring friends and wish to remain stupid. Gah!
jsmith
I actually like that Skittles commercial with the rabbit humming/screeching an opera tune. No matter how many times I see it, I think "How freaking CUTE."
nickclick
QUOTE(hellotampon @ Apr 15 2007, 10:43 AM) *
If my boyfriend did the sponge bob no pants thing, I wouldn't laugh either.

i'd prolly laugh, but i love both spongebob and my boyfriend not wearing pants.
candycane_girl
I thought the Spongebob thing was cheesy but I love cheesy humour.

Has anyone heard about the American Family Association saying that the ad is offensive because it mixes a children's cartoon with "adult nudity"?

the article is here
missjoy
Okay, I gotta admit I like the Slice tv network ads. I haven't seen the ones about illiterate friends, but the "If I wanted to learn something I'd watch a book" cracks me up.

I also like the tv ad where the neglected vices are asking the women to come back. One is a guy in a bar talking about how girls should come back to one night stands (instead of Slice) as their vice. At one point he starts listing reasons to have a one night stand and they appear beside him on the screen as a list, something like, "you will get: a temporary boost in self esteem, my first name..." and then at the end he says, "hurry, the lights are coming on soon".

Anywho, I find it funny!
girltrouble
rudderless
I keep seeing these Sherwin-Williams trucks on the road, they have the creepiest logo I've ever seen. A giant paint can is overturned above a miniature earth, pouring red paint all over it - it looks like the earth is bleeding profusely. And the slogan is almost as bad - "Cover the Earth"!

um... i kinda love their logo, but i am obsessed with old logos, and i happen to have an old 9foot poster of their logo i used to have hanging in my apartment....
nickclick
another one of these men-are-so-useless, women-are-so-bitchy ads, for some beer (of course) who's label changes to blue when it's cold. the wife comes out of the bathroom with a pregnancy test, and she and her boyfriend/husband are both all excited that it turned blue, but then she realizes he's talking about his beer. silly man!
candycane_girl
missjoy, what's funny is that I really like the Slice tv ads. Especially the one you mentioned, I love how it's like, you will get "temporary self esteem, guaranteed male orgasm".

But for some reason, the transit and outdoor ads for them really irk me!

Another transit ad that doesn't irk me, just makes me laugh inside. It's for some "health" institute and it says in really big letters "Sex for life!" It has something to do with erectile dysfunction. And then there's one for the same place and it says "It's about you!" I just find it funny, especially that they go with a visual of a guy looking like he's pumping his fist in the air.
pinkpoodle
There's an ad for Match on the web that reads "Find single doctors near you." It has some dude in scrubs posing with a clipboard. Gag.
thingsarenice
There's this new commercial for mint-melon gum that I'm trying to wrap my brain around. This woman is sitting across from a couple, chewing gum, while the voiceover guy says, "First, it's mint. Then, it's melon. Then, things really get interesting." At this point she gets up and kisses the guy across from her. The woman with him turns around with this pissed off, "Why the hell are you frenching my boyfriend?"-look, to which gum-lady responds with a smile and a shrug, which makes angry lady smile. I understand the basic premise, since gum commercials use the getting laid premise almost as often as ads for bad smelling body sprays marketed towards teenagers, but why does she smile at the woman who just made out with her boyfriend? What, are they going to go have a threesome or something now? I'm not getting it. Plus, mint-melon is kind of a gross flavor combination.
jsmith
I saw that one. The impression I get from it is that the girlfriend is er... anticipating a kiss, too. Yech, but okay.
I saw this ad by amp'd mobile that showed this guy lovin on his phone, kissing and stroking it and whatnot. It was really quite moronic. dry.gif
thingsarenice
I always forget to mention that amp'd mobile commercial, although it causes me so much pain. I think he's supposed to be drunk? He's acting pretty stupidly to not be.
culturehandy
I really hate the Dr. Scholls Gellin' commercials. Are you gellin', you aren't gellin'. Oh fuck off already.
ShawnBoy314
how bou8t that NEW CLEARBLUE DIGITAL Pregnancy test commercial....LMMFAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GXskZFXbNY

i_am_jan
Every commercial I see lately seems to feature a middle-aged (or older) woman slapping a man across the face.

(Sure, cos this happens all the time. women are usually physically abusive to their men, and not the other way around at all.) Plus, it's sooooo funny
culturehandy
All axe body spray commercials need to go away.
kari
Amen, CH. The Axe ads are so fucking annoying.

I hate all the E-Harmony ads. That stupid music & all the couples talking and smooching. ugh. Enough!

Ditto on the "are you Gellin'?"
Divala
The thing that really bugs me about the EHarmony ads is the CEO's voice. It's so fake and mushy and makes me really want to throw a rock at him. Those ads always get flipped off, no matter if they're on radio or TV just because I hate his voice THAT MUCH.
pinkpoodle
Gag. Those couples are all way too happy. One of the women says, "I love everything about him. Everything!!" Everything?? There's gotta be something about the guy that drives her bonkers. If not, then they haven't been together very long.

I also hate the series of commercials for Nicoderm(?) with the woman trying to quit smoking. She acts as though she's going through rehab for cocaine or something. Everytime I see it, I think, "Lady, I don't give a shit about your efforts to quit smoking. Now go away so I can watch Dancing with the Stars."

There's this new DQ commercial that makes me laugh everytime. A woman in a soft-serve ice cream costume moves into an apartment building and asks her neighbor, a guy in a waffle cone costume, if he has any chocolate sauce she can borrow. They have a "moment" together. So cute.

culturehandy
I agree on the E-Harmony Commercials.

I really hate Tim Hortons Commercials. It's coffee, that's it.
roseviolet
Have any of you seen this ad for Travelers Insurance? The bunnies are so damn cute!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp7Uc5a_XRE
kiss_the_fiddler
Yeh, I don't like the E-harmony comercials either. They're so het. I usually don't mind het but I went online one day when I was bored and tried to do their 'free personality blah blah blah' and they didn't even have options for a woman to be attracted to another woman. grrr. . .
candycane_girl
rosev, I just saw that ad for the first time about 2 days ago! It's so funny and cute.

I'm surprised about the e-Harmony thing not having options if you're gay. I know that other dating sites at least give those options.
juls
Bow chica wah wah
pinkpoodle
Hahaha!!
octobersky
If I have to see that damn Cingular commercial with the mom and daughter about the texting, I'm going to scream. I can't stand the girl talking in text, plus she seems rather young to be having a cell phone at her constant disposal. The kid just seems like a brat.
roseviolet
There is a print ad for Vaseline lotion that I saw on adrants.com that totally confuses me.
http://www.adrants.com/images/vaseline_skin_head_knee.jpg
Ummmm .... which body part is that? Is it a knee? A butt? A back? I can't figure it out!
pinkpoodle
Hahaha!! I think it might be the back of the arm towards the pit/shoulder. Wait...no...that can't be. How could the thumb be on that side if the hand was coming from below? *scratches head*

It's gotta be a leg. It's too small to be an ass.
roseviolet
Poods, I kept thinking that it's got to be a knee, but then when I look at the far right side of the pic & notice the shading (especially the blackness of the upper right corner), I start to wonder. To be honest, I'm starting to think it's just a giant roast turkey! tongue.gif
pinkpoodle
Yeah, the right side doesn't really look like leg skin. Hmmm...it must be a turkey.
Divala
From the size of it in relation to the hand, I think it's a thigh (which means that part in the lower left is crotch/underwear, which kind of skeeves me out). And doesn't elbow skin pull a little differently and is maybe sharper? That part in the upper right looks more like a knee to me than an elbow.
kari
I think it is the very top of a bald man's head, he is laying his head in a woman's lap.

My first guess was a pregnant woman's belly, but the darkness in the upper right corner throws a wrench in that. But, I think a belly would explain why the hand is cupping the body part like that.
candycane_girl
It looks like just the top of a knee to me.
the_geiger
There's this Dr. Scholl's ad that pisses me off--the one with the inserts for high heels, with these women mowing the lawn and painting the house in heels, which you can do now with these comfy inserts! It's like, fuck you Dr. Scholl's! I've got no problem with heels, and have some cute ones of my own, but do you really want us to fall off of a stepladder in those things?

And then I saw an ad in a magazine that just confused me. It was for Clorox bleach, about how you can 'make your bathroom magical'. There's this kid in footie pajamas waving a magic wand over a black toilet, and all these bunnies are coming out of it. What the hell were the ad execs freebasing when they came up with that idea? And what the hell do bunnies have to do with selling bleach?
thingsarenice
I don't know about you guys, but I find the new Hot Pocket commercials kind of offensive. You know, the ones with the old Asian man with the thick accent? I only wish I could transcribe it here, but you really have to hear it to understand how racist it is.

Also, just in general, I have a huge problem with ads in which talking food is eaten or is alluded to being about to be eaten. For example, the Chips Ahoy commercial in which a claymation cookie is seen celebrating a little claymation girl's birthday with all their claymation friends. "Where's the cake?" he asks, all smiles, no idea what grisly plans his hostess has for him. "Oh, we're not having cake," the sadistic birthday girl replies as the hungry stares of the party's attendees close in on the cookie, who is suddenly faced with the horrifying realization that he is about to be killed in one of the most terrifying ways imaginable. It might make a good horror movie, if you replace the cookie with a person, but as for a light hearted ad campaign? No. I'm not having it.
jsmith
Yeah, I don't like those talking cookie commercials either. The claymation reminds me of a horrific nightmare I had a while back.
But I love that commercial where all those people are having a teleconference with the big boss, and he tells them over the phone how he's shocked at the quality of the presentation (or whatever) that they sent him. Then this one woman hits the mute button, and says "We're shocked too. Shocked that you even get it, pal!". Then this guy walks in and she's laughing and says "Dave, what are you doing here?" He replies "I'm here to fix the mute button."
Everybody looks at the phone in alarm, and you hear the big boss clear his throat in a very disheartening way. Then this other guy says "Bye-bye bonus.."
I love that commercial.
kittenb
I actually love the talking cookie ads where they get eaten. They remind me of classic Charles Adams cartoons.
ginger_kitty
I hate that new Twix commercial. With the two guy reading that skeezy book on how to pick up chicks. And the hot girl from the one guy's past walks up, and he fools her by acting like he is disgusted by the book his buddy is reading....then she asks him to go have coffee with her.

It plays on the whole lie to women, and just say what want to hear attitude, that I loathe.
thingsarenice
There's this cell phone commercial that's been out for a little while where the dad walks into the living room and tells his kids that they get text, picture, and video messages for free now, so the kids can do it all they want. The kids reply that they already do, and the dad says that he knows, but now their mom can quit her second job, and the mom walks in in a taco suit.

Worst. Children. Ever. They could use a dose of good old fashioned Sally Jesse bootcamp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.