Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: !@#$%&* Annoying Ads
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
flanker_ji
Totally agree w/ everything I've read on this page...

The ad-related thing that still has me rolling my eyes is actually from an REI catalog that I saw a couple months ago. I've never read such sanctimonious, holier-than-thou outdoorsy copy. If I hadn't tossed it so quickly, I'd quote it for everyone. I like to think of it as a nice reminder to shop at the local outdoors store.
the_geiger
As far as crappy local commercials go, the DesMoinesHelpWanted.com ads make me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon. Too bad I couldn't find it on youtube, but the animation for it is so crude it looks like they aren't even trying.
MsYuefie
bump for hellotampon
hellotampon
How the frig did I miss this? I even used the "find in this page" thing from the edit menu and typed in "annoying" and it said nothing found. Anyway. Thanks Yuefie.

I cannot stand that sexist Burger King ad where the moms are jealous of Burger King for making a "better" sandwich than them.

...and now that I'm actually posting, I can't remember any of the rest. But there are a ton of commercials lately that really chap my ass.
candycane_girl
Ugh, I hate that commercial too.

The latest one to get on my nerves is some type of educational Spiderman toy and it sings, in a little kid voice, the spiderman song. And they show it at every freakin commercial break! I mean, really, just how many parents are watching the Law & Order repeats at 1pm on Bravo?
tankgirl
on the radio station i listen to at work, which btw has an audience of 18-30 year old men mostly, theres this obnoxious add of a kid gurgling and laughing and squealing. i think its an add for some of those clorox wipes or something. im not offended by it or anything, it just annoys the shit out of me.

and i have to admit i laughed when i saw that brger king commercial where the woman says she asked what her kid wanted to eat and "he said he already ate!" i dont know i just find that funny. i guess i just find humor in anything making fun of soccer mom types, even if that isnt what they intended to be the point of the commercial.
Lilith
What are your opinions on the Tonka commercial that says "Boys are built different. Now they can play their way".

But then the toy is shape sorting and walking. How is that THEIR way? How is that toy built for boyhood?

freckleface7
the Rooms To Go commerical w/ that mother-f'in freak faced elfish red headed know it all smartass woman.
every damn time I see one of them I want to reach into my tv and slap the snotty smirk off her face.
THAT would persuade me to shop at their store.. hell I'd buy a lot if I got the chance to smack her in person there.
I always wonder how the actors and actresses maintain their facade when taping them with her.
candycane_girl
Lilith, I've seen that ad too! It drives me crazy! Wtf, kids are kids.
kittenb
I really, really, really, REALLY don't care that he went to Jerrod.
pinkpoodle
Ugh, Lilith, that "boys are built different" ad pisses me off so much. Yes, boys are different, but that doesn't mean that they deserve more spatial-related activity than girls!! I was way into spatial stuff as a young girl. Tonka might as well just release an ad that says, "Let's face it, boys are smarter than girls and they need more stimulation, while girls should just stick to playing house and dress-up."

Haha!! That Jerrod ad is so annoying, kitten!! Lame.

The latest commercial that weirds me out is the X-Box ad with the little kids singing Poison's "Nothin' But A Good Time." I find it very disturbing.
Jezebel
I think one of the commenters to the piece about the Tonka ads on feministing summed it up best: "yes, boys are built differently, but when was the last time you saw a guy drive a truck with his dick?"

And if you think the commercials are bad, definitely don't read the "parenting tips" on the Tonka website. rolleyes.gif
lilacwine13
I really, really, really, REALLY don't care that he went to Jerrod.

Nor do I, kittenb.

I'm so glad I haven't seen that Tonka ad, or that Poison ad. Both of those sound infuriating.
lananans
The Tonka ad IS infuriating. The first time I saw it all I could think was "this is a joke, right? right?" sadly it is not.
pinkpoodle
I'm sure they knew that it would piss a lot of people off. They're probably trying to appeal to back-assward republication moms with old-fashioned "values."
candycane_girl
I can't stand that new Crest ad where the girl is worried about having bad breath because she's on a blind date. Seriously, you just need to brush your teeth with any toothpaste and you will be fine! But the worst part is that at the end she says that using Crest could lead to you living "happily ever after"!!!

So basically it's only possible to be happy if you find a guy and stay with him forever? Wtf?!
hellotampon
I want to punch the girl from the Tic Tacs commercial in the face... the one where she flicks tic tacs off the wall and into her mouth repeatedly, like an annoying little kid.

And I hate the Walmart one where the mother says that getting the HDTV or whatever brought her family together. I hate Walmart. I hate the implication that buying expensive crap means love.
candycane_girl
I hate all of those stupid commercials that equate material crap with love. Really, so if I don't get my mom anything for Christmas that suddenly means I don't love her? Fuck off.

But the Wal-Mart commercials seem to be the worst. It's all "Wal-Mart makes all these toys affordable so my kids know that I love them!"
jsmith
I like that new kia commercial, where the dealer is dancing to that song in "Flashdance". But I bet it'll get old really fast.
astoreth
Ugh...that Tonka one pissed me off too. If that lady thinks boys are "just different" in that they're curious and rough on things, she needs to spend some time with my daughter:)

There's a Clorox (I think) commercial which, if it weren't unintentionally hilarious, would really grind my gears. It shows women in various eras washing clothes, with a gentle voiceover explaining that "your mother, her mother, her grandmother, they all did the laundry...maybe even a man or two..."

*snerk*
candycane_girl
I've never noticed that part of the voiceover for the Clorox ad. I always thought it just said something like "throughout the ages families have relied on Clorox bleach". But I hate that it always shows women doing the laundry.
sassygrrl
All Wal-mart commericals as well.

I'm getting sick of the sugary diamond comericals. I don't give two shits if he went to jared,
and zales is a bad store.
jsmith
Those alltel commercials with the blond guy and those other guys representing other cellular providers annoy the hell out of me. I'm sick of seeing their faces by now. Knock it off already, you alltel folks are getting as annoying as the geico cavemen.
Jezebel
QUOTE(sassygrrl @ Nov 29 2007, 06:09 PM) *
I'm getting sick of the sugary diamond comericals. I don't give two shits if he went to jared,
and zales is a bad store.

Seriously. And those jewelry commercials always seem to have the most annoying music possible. I think my least favorite is the one where the guy gets up in the middle of the night and drapes his ugly ass 'this looks just like what everyone else has!' necklace on his wife while she's sleeping, and then she wakes up all confused until she realizes that it's diamonds! All while we have to listen to "how can I TELL you...I love you...I loooooooove you" in the background. Kill me.
flanker_ji
The incessant jewelery store/diamond commercials are the absolute WORST part of any upcoming holiday!
snow white
this woman's voice and smug demenor drives me nuts! eerrrahghgdjchbqkeuyv! wacko.gif

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2-P3X3fzaQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2-P3X3fzaQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

^oh shit. well, it's kellogg's smart start woman, *gag*
hellotampon
QUOTE(jsmith @ Nov 30 2007, 12:11 AM) *
Those alltel commercials with the blond guy and those other guys representing other cellular providers annoy the hell out of me. I'm sick of seeing their faces by now. Knock it off already, you alltel folks are getting as annoying as the geico cavemen.

uggh, me too! I can't imagine those commercials appealing to anyone who isn't a 3rd grader... "Get Alltel because it's COOLER and all the other providers are UNCOOL DORKS!!!"
girltrouble
snow, i understand why you find that commercial, but i kinda like it, she's got this faint latina/spanish accent that always makes me melt... i'm kinda crushed out on her....

i love and hate that kia commerical with the salesman doing the flashdance routine. first time funny, every single time after, ANNOYING.
snow white
QUOTE(girltrouble @ Dec 2 2007, 01:22 PM) *

i love and hate that kia commerical with the salesman doing the flashdance routine. first time funny, every single time after, ANNOYING.

oh i was just about to say that, gt. it's like super rich cheescake, only good once a year
hellotampon
What about the tampax commercial about the girls in Africa who miss school during their periods because they don't have "protection" and how Tampax is helping them? It seems so fake and stupid.
candycane_girl
wtf? I have never seen that ad, hellotampon!
pinkpoodle
Snow, that Smart Start woman's voice makes my skin crawl!!! Nails on a blackboard!!!
jsmith
That tampax commercial made me want to hurl. I seriously hope those bleached things don't take hold in developing countries. There are much better options.
hellotampon
QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Dec 3 2007, 03:06 PM) *
wtf? I have never seen that ad, hellotampon!

Yeah well if you saw it you'd think that Tampax was singlehandedly wiping out genocide, FGM, AIDS and poverty in one fell swoop. Because they CARE.
Oh, wait actually they're just sending out free pads for a tax cut.
potbunny
QUOTE(hellotampon @ Dec 4 2007, 10:39 AM) *
Yeah well if you saw it you'd think that Tampax was singlehandedly wiping out genocide, FGM, AIDS and poverty in one fell swoop. Because they CARE.
Oh, wait actually they're just sending out free pads for a tax cut.

Well, Tis the Season companies bullshit the ppl into believing they really care about the "little guy".

Just like that crappy bonus check the boss gives you. happy.gif
jsmith
There's this overactive bladder commercial featuring a ladies' restroom symbol having a "birds and bees" talk with a woman with overactive bladder. Really DUMB.
pinkpoodle
Eeew.

Any ad containing Rachel Ray instantly qualifies as annoying, but I find her Ritz commercial especially annoying because of the way she says ham, haaayum. I hate ham, and the thought of combining it with Ritz grosses me out even more, and then add Rachel Ray to the mix, and I just can't handle it. Blech. "Where are the Ritz, guys?" *fantasizes about reaching through TV and punching nasty ham bitch*

Didn't you all know that Tampax is gonna save the world someday? Better pick me up a box now to help the cause.
candycane_girl
There's this ad that drives me crazy and it's for the game Taboo. There's a buzzer thing so every time someone says the wrong thing you get to buzz them out or something.

Anyway, I guess it's supposed to be after the party and the husband is asking his wife what she would like for a snack and she keeps making the stupid buzzer sound! It's so rude and annoying and not funny, if someone did that to me I would want to smack them in the face.
pinkpoodle
Ugh, that reminds me. I can't stand the word game commercial where the people keep saying "Eye mull of ma sheen" (or something like that). Duh!! It's not that hard!! Or fun!! Lame.
kari
Ooh, I hate all the commercials you have mentioned!

A new one I hate is for a washer and dryer. The line is "all that stands between you and this blah blah washer is your old one." And then it shows people (women) pushing their functional washing machines off of diving boards, out windows, etc. Yeah, throw out your stuff that works b/c you need this new, bigger, shinier one! Go consumerism!
mouse
ok, heidi klum is pretty great--gorgeous, multilingual, seemingly has a great family, seemingly also has a good sense of humour (always has AWESOME halloween costumes!), healthy-lookin supermodel who looks even better pregnant, we've got her to thank for project runway, etc. etc. etc.....but FUCK, she CANNOT sing. why couldn't they just get her to lipsynch like EVERYONE ELSE? if i have to listen to her warble off-key "santa baby" one more fucking time....i don't know what i'm going to do but i will definitely be miserable. it's worse than my karaoke.
gluelita
yeah, the jewelry commercials are the worst. (except for the car ads...who gives a Lexus for Christmas?? and are those people really sitting around watching re-runs of Seinfield?)
the only funny thing is that i think these look like the symbol from Heroes:
http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=6714

the campbell's soup sea salt commercial is irritating...and isn't that the head Fed from the Sopranos?

the one for Brain Age where the guy can't remember his old friend's name and goes "uh uh uh"...

and, most of all right now, the Petsmart commercial about finding a way to *surprise your pet*.
anna k
I enjoyed the At&T commercial with the voices of Norm McDonald and Steve Buscemi as gingerbread men.

It's funny how when Heidi Klum first became famous, she was the hot swimsuit girl, then re-marketed as being more likeable to women and less of an untouchable "hot babe" the way Alessandra Ambrosio and Adriana Lima are. She's more attractive to me when she looks more glamorous and aloof than pulling funny faces and being goofy.

That he's doing the "What a Feeling" dance to "Maniac" makes it a little distracting to me, but it's still cute. I wanted him to do the backspin to finish it off.
pinkpoodle
The first time I saw the Flashdance ad, I laughed my ass off, but now my dirty mind can't help but think about how that's probably the same face that the dude makes when...well...you know....ugh...
candycane_girl
That AT&T ad is pretty funny. The first time I heard it I just kept thinking "Is that Steve Buscemi?"

For Canadian busties, is Norm MacDonald the voice of one of the Bell beavers?

I pretty much can't stand any of the Old Navy ads that are playing right now. They're always annoying but right now they are uber annoying!
pepper
i don't watch a lot of tv but lately i have seen some ads for the army that make me want to throw something.

no offense to army peeps here, this is just my opinion.

the voice tells you that when your kids want to talk to you about the army, listen. the kid in the background is talking about getting money for college. the caption is
"you made them strong. we'll make them army strong."
uh, don't you mean we'll make them DEAD?! wtf. what a horrible, evil way to trick kids who don't have enough money for college into going overseas and getting exploded. holy hell, makes me f-ing sick. you don't see anybody in politics sending their babies to the front lines. using college as the hook, not nice.

ggrrrr. not increasing my christmas spirit.
girltrouble
i loathe the heidi klum. i just wish she'd go away.

one commercial that makes me smirk tho are the crate and barrel commercials, just because they have the ribbons on the packages in such a way that the word "rat" is always visable.... i am so easily ammused....
snow white
QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Dec 14 2007, 10:15 PM) *
That AT&T ad is pretty funny. The first time I heard it I just kept thinking "Is that Steve Buscemi?"

that's exactly what i thought when i saw the at&t commercial, it's my favorite commercial right now smile.gif

Lilith
You know what's been annoying me lately?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWyY16qeVds

The JC Penney commercial with the little boy who keeps opening "girl gifts" and then writes a letter to Santa "Kelly is a boy's name too".

It bugs me because those "girl gifts" aren't even that girly. There's a baby doll and the rest is just regular stuff that's pink (pink lunch box, pink guitar, etc - it's quick so hard to see it all). They could've made the same point by getting him like dresses or something, because even though it's still sexist... at least that's undeniably female. But why shouldn't boys get baby dolls? Or like pink?
pepper
has anyone else bitched about the brittany perfume ads yet? OMG

the beautiful girl, the handsome hunter

and then he couldn't resist and he "did something crazy" and they lived happily ever after?

girl, dream on. all the crazy acts in the world ain't gonna get you that for christmas.

geez.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.