Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: !@#$%&* Annoying Ads
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
mouse
the thing about starbucks "terminology" that's frustrating is that it's all fake or either doesn't make any sense. the sizes? tall (english, and doesn't mean anything normal people would think "smallest size" about), grande ("big" in italian), and venti ("twenty" in italian--presumably for twenty ounces). tall is small, big is medium, and venti is the only one called by how many its ounces is. wtf?

"frappucino" is a made-up word. it didn't exist before starbucks did. and "macchiato", in traditional coffee terms, is a shot of espresso with a spoonful of milkfoam on top. it comes in an espresso cup, there's no milk (just the spoonful of foam) and it isn't sweet at all (though i suppose if you put a shot of caramel syrup in it, thus making it a "caramel macchiato", it would be sweeter). at starbucks it's a full-on sugary latte with caramel syrup.

whatever, this is fine. mcdonalds made up the word mcnuggets. my issues with starbucks are for their business practices and the way they squeeze out independent places and claim to be donating to charity or being environmentally friendly when it's really just that 0.05% technicality that lets them not be lying. but as someone who worked in independent coffeeshops for years, it's certainly made the world more difficult for baristas who don't work at starbucks--for both the reason that, if a starbucks moves down the street from you, your job is toast, and also because it gets really fucking annoying having to explain to obstinate customers what a caramel macchiato will actually get them.

i haven't seen the dunkin' donuts commercial (it's near impossible to find one in so cal and i will admit i miss them from my east coast days) but smear campaigns of any sort are never flattering to either party.
girltrouble
as an ex-barista, i can't stand starbucks. the beans are over-roasted, the baristas don't actually make the coffee they just push buttons, and i never minded the names because they allowed us to get the customer exactly what they wanted with minimum breath. but starbucks screwed that up too. most espresso houses never had any vendi. it was usually just short (small) and tall (large), and rarely, grande, for (extra large). if you want to know good coffee date or have a friend who is a barista. good coffee is very easy to spot, good roasted coffee is not. different coffee places get their beans from different roasters, and that makes a huge difference. but i have to agree with you, mouse, starbucks drives me up the wall.
Jezebel
QUOTE(hellotampon @ Mar 14 2008, 01:39 PM) *
Does anyone else completely despise the Dunkin Donuts commercials where people are complaining about other coffee shops that use French or Italian words (esp the one where a bunch of glazed-out zombies stand there singing "my mouth can't form these words")?

I don't really ever drink coffee and there are no Starbucks around here (there's about 3 DD in every town though and people seem to be totally obsessed), so maybe the first few times ordering a "venti frappuccino" or something feels pretentious and intimidating, but come on. Would it KILL most people to learn a few words that aren't -GASP- English???! It's so like the stereotypical Ugly American. Pisses me off.

Co-sign. This commercial drives me up the wall for all the same reasons. It would be one thing if they were just commenting on Starbucks being pretentious, but making such a huge deal over the fact that some of the words aren't English is what bugs me. And it's especially stupid in a commercial for the Dunkin Donuts latte.
obelix2
Those commercials for "The Maids" just make me want to scream. The one that really gets me has a squeaky-clean white woman in very expensive clothing on her knees on a towel, washing her kid in the tub. She explains that she chooses The Maids because they clean bathroom and kitchen floors "The way they should be done... on hands and knees." Yeesh. It's almost like she's giving me a wink. Like, "surely YOU agree with me, but neither of us would ever get down on our hands and knees, right?"

No, lady. I clean my own gd floors. And if I needed to hire somebody to help me clean my house, I would hire an independent contractor, pay her well, and not look down on her like you obviously do.

Wow, I didn't know I was that upset by the ads

ETA: obviously, I know that the woman is an actress who probably can't afford to hire The Maids, but I have to yell at SOMEBODY, don't I?
pollystyrene
Plus, those places don't really clean your house. They just hide the dirt. Read Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed. I would never hire one of those places.
pinkpoodle
"Ass effects"....bwhahahahahahaha!!

Ugh, hellotampon, those Wendy's ads are soooo bad!! It is SO fast food!! And it's horrible for you!! Nasty.

The ad that's really pissing me off lately is for Dixie disposables. It basically tells mothers that they're depriving their children of quality time everytime they wash dishes. Apparently, women who value family life throw everything in the trash. Nevermind that the poor kids are gonna have to live on top of a landfill because their parents generated so much trash during their lifetimes!! Ugh. I almost want to write an angry letter to the company.
snow white
QUOTE(mouse @ Mar 16 2008, 04:21 PM) *
whatever, this is fine. mcdonalds made up the word mcnuggets.
LoL! haha, i love that.

ok, that zyrtec bitch is really getting on my nerves. she's supposed to be pushing pills when all thru the commercial she prances around like it's own personal moving photoshoot. ok, "model turned actress", your hot, now get off my tv please.
pinkpoodle
Is that the indoor/outdoor allergy lady? I would like to force feed her a plate of White Castle sliders.
anna k
I saw a recent commercial that was pretty bad. It was full of stereotypes about women spending a lot of money and not knowing how to handle finances and men who don't know how to take care of their own children. I forget what it was advertising, but it was just bad.

obelix, that Maids ad reminds me of watching The Brady Bunch as a kid and wondering why they had a housekeeper when they had six children, all who were capable of cooking and cleaning. As well as the mother who didn't work.

I stopped going to Starbucks a couple of years ago. Not only because I realized the caloric amount in Fraps, but it just tasted too sugary and left me with a jittery sugar high.
tankgirl
I hate all commercials that tell me that because I'm a woman I must really enjoy eating chocolate slowly and get turned on my doing it. EW.
candycane_girl
I hate those ads...I think they're for Cadbury thins and they say "Now that's clever". In the t.v. ad they show a woman disapproving of a dress that her friend is trying on so that she can later go back and buy the dress herself.

They also have ads on the subway and one of them talks about the invention of the digital camera "because women like to take good pictures even if it takes a couple of tries". WTF? So women basically can't take good pictures unless they use a digital camera? And wtf does that even have to do with chocolate?
hellotampon
QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Apr 2 2008, 03:03 PM) *
They also have ads on the subway and one of them talks about the invention of the digital camera "because women like to take good pictures even if it takes a couple of tries".

Oh my god. I'm no great photographer myself but that is offensive.
auralpoison
This didn't annoy me, but it gave me the heebies fer reals, yo. Lady opens her door to find a giant cockroach with boxes of pizza on her doorstep. He has a creepily smooth voice, he tries to get into her house. The Orkin man arrives! There's a little montage of shots, even one where he's holding up one of the roach's dismembered leg. The end, the Orkin man & the lady are standing on the lawn. A cockroach in a sixties Ford drives by slowly until he sees the Orkin man & then he leadfoots it out of the neighborhood.
damona
omg ap, that's just sick and wrong! eewww! made me think of that one from a couple years back where a cockroach "crawled across the screen" over some fake, innocuous commercial and a bunch of people broke their tv's because they thought it was real and threw something at it.
dusty
One of the most effective commercials I have ever seen showed footage of a cockroach climbing over a toothbrush.
dusty
Double post...don't know what happened there.
humanist77
Has anyone noticed that so many commercials lately play this sort of lighthearted, *friendly*, playful background music, with what sounds like a ukulele. I can think of like 5 ads with music like this, and all I can guess as to why, is that advertisers just want to cheer people up...with threats of recession and gas prices and politics and all the other shit happening.
Here is a perfect example.

It bothers me because expensive advertisement is based so much on psychology research, and by using music like this, it's like they're trying to lull folks into this everything's okay, people-now keep buying stuff! mentality.

Similar to this is all the 'green' products and their commercials. I'm most annoyed by the Clorox ads for their 'natural' products. Apparently Clorox 'cares deeply' for the environment...um...just forget about their other products with all sorts of horrible chemicals in them that make me cough.

Oh, speaking of offensive ads..there was just on for Coors beer (wretch) where a couple is sitting on the couch, and the guy answers the phone, and then tells his girlfriend that he needs to go over to so and so's house because "he needs to vent". The girlfriend is touched that her bf and his buddies apparently have feelings. Then of course he shows up at his friend's house with some beer and they all watch the game and laugh about tricking his girlfriend. Not sure whether the ad is more offensive to men or women...for saying men don't really have feelings and only care about beer and football, or women are too stupid to realize what their bf's are up to...then again, it IS a shitty beer commercial, so what do I expect??

/end rant
jsmith
......... that burger king "morning tongue" commercial..... are they trying to make it look sexual? Or am I the only one that's reminded of a penis when I see the guy's tongue?
I've noticed that about the ukulele-like music. I think the music is cute, but it doesn't make me want to buy whatever product they're trying to push. But I say, I really like the music on the kaleidoscope m&m's commercial
pollystyrene
QUOTE(jsmith @ Apr 4 2008, 11:20 PM) *
......... that burger king "morning tongue" commercial..... are they trying to make it look sexual? Or am I the only one that's reminded of a penis when I see the guy's tongue?
I've noticed that about the ukulele-like music. I think the music is cute, but it doesn't make me want to buy whatever product they're trying to push. But I say, I really like the music on the kaleidoscope m&m's commercial

Oh, it's more than trying, j....substitute the word "wood" for "tongue" and you've got yourself a bad sex ed movie. Judge for yourself.

Just as a PSA, you can find out what the music in commercials is from adtunes.com The website's a little hard to navigate, but it's a pretty good resource to find out what that song is in that damn commercial!
knorl05
humanist77: awesome points, i would have to say i agree. although could just be advertising trends.. considering the intention of just about all marketing/advertising is to lull us into a false sense of security and happiness with the use of random company's products. just a new angle to take us away from the harshness of reality. but i've found not many people want to face Truth necessarily, they'd much rather smile along with the annoying ukulele commercials. so it's a matter of supply and demand perhaps... but which came first? individuals wanting to be comforted by fallacy or the fallacies themselves. hmm.

i hate how generic products try to be all "cool" with groovy music, like that m&ms commercial for instance. do any of you feel that hip musicians are selling out by using their work to sell mass marketed items? unfortunately i do. although my ex says that if i had the opportunity to get money and recognition for my work i'd probably be swayed to sell out as well.

omy yuck. that is the first time i've seen that burgerking commercial and i hate it. i feel all awkward and uncomfortable looking at that dude, but perhaps that's what they were going for. satisfy yourself with cheesy tots in the morning. god my stomach just turned thinking of it.
jsmith
Ah, I need to bookmark that site!
lilacwine13
I remember reading in one of the music magazines that a more musicians wanted their songs used in commercials because it was almost the only way to get wide exposure. Radio is too tightly formatted, MTV almost never plays videos, and not everyone uses the internet to find new music. In some ways, this makes sense, and to them, getting more recognition is more important than selling out.

I don't think I could do it, but if I was a musician I think I'd probably be an obscure artist with a cult following anyway. :lol

To be honest, that sort of plinky, ukulele music used in the chip commercial annoys me, so apparently I'm one of the few people immune to it. I can see humanist's points about it, though.

I hate those Burger King ads, they gross me out. I saw one of theirs tonight about the breakfast of the future, and it was implying the robotic King was "great with his hands" by some woman. Creepy.
hellotampon
How LONG is that Celebrex commercial? Geez. It's like a full 3 minutes. And there's nothing stimulating about it... after a minute I turned to my boyfriend and started playing with the dog, totally forgot about the commercial, and then I realized it was still running. What a waste of money for them.

I also saw some cell phone commercial following some girl in a miniskirt walking around and blathering on in a ditzy voice about who she's going to call now. I get it- women are catty, vapid, and we never shut up.
auralpoison
I must admit I was a bit tweeked when I saw that M&M's commercial. I like that Iron & Wine version of "Such Great Heights" better than the original Postal Service. It makes me feel all squishy. I didn't like suddenly thinking of candy when I heard it after that.

Devendra Banhart got a lot of new interest after Fat Tire used his music in a commercial.

http://imomus.livejournal.com/119462.html

And that BK commercial is awful.
knorl05
i'm really fucking sick of all the creepy "beautiful" women saturated all over the internet smiling at me. bitch, i dont know you... wipe that cheesy ass grin off your face and stop trying to sell me shit. i dont want it!! arg.
zora
I am sick of the yoplait women sitting around talking about how yogurt is as good as getting cunnilingus from a cunnilingus robot designed for the job.
"It's like never having to do anything but sit around eating yogurt good!"
lilacwine13
This is going to sound like a stupid gripe at those Verizon commercials with the people saying now they can talk all the time, but every time they come on, I can't help but think about how they are running up the other person's wireless bill just to talk about nothing. Also, what if the other person doesn't want to hear about their day, and was perfectly happy never to talk to them again? (Yes, I have way too much time on my hands and yes, I have used that excuse to get out of phone conversations.)

auralpoison
QUOTE(zora @ Apr 9 2008, 12:22 AM) *
I am sick of the yoplait women sitting around talking about how yogurt is as good as getting cunnilingus from a cunnilingus robot designed for the job.
"It's like never having to do anything but sit around eating yogurt good!"

The even more annoying thing about that commercial is that one of the women is Leisha Hailey of the Murmurs/Gush/The L Word/Uh Huh Her fame. It's like, you're an out lesbian & I'd like to think feminist. Why are you pitching yogurt in such a hideous way?

I could blather on & on about the subtext of that one. Particularly on the marketing towards young single women.
anna k
This is going to sound like a stupid gripe at those Verizon commercials with the people saying now they can talk all the time, but every time they come on, I can't help but think about how they are running up the other person's wireless bill just to talk about nothing. Also, what if the other person doesn't want to hear about their day, and was perfectly happy never to talk to them again? (Yes, I have way too much time on my hands and yes, I have used that excuse to get out of phone conversations.)

And that commercial with the business woman shaking off her business attire, glasses, and loosening her hair to look "sexy" while strutting towards the camera while following by her Verizon people, and ending with "I'm gonna tell everyone what I really think of them."
hellotampon
QUOTE(anna k @ Apr 10 2008, 03:25 PM) *
And that commercial with the business woman shaking off her business attire, glasses, and loosening her hair to look "sexy" while strutting towards the camera while following by her Verizon people, and ending with "I'm gonna tell everyone what I really think of them."

That's the one I was talking about when I complained about the ad that made all women look like catty, dumb chatterboxes! I hate it!
deepthinker
Anyone remember the Head On ads? Those were the worst! Head On apply directly to the forehead! Head On apply directly to the forehead! Just shoot me now, and be done with it!

Also, I cannot stand how loud some ads are, like the volume has been turned way way up. I was watching the Pistons game last night, they went to a break, and this one ad was incredibly loud! It practically hurt my eardrums it was so bad!
candycane_girl
I am so sick of these stupid yogurt ads that have at least 3 closeups of some woman's flat stomach. Sure they quickly say at the end that to be healthy you need to have a healthy diet and exercise but the ad basically implies that if you eat this yogurt you can lose weight and have a perfect stomach just like the girl in the ad!

I also hate the Secret deodorant ads with the wedding party and the bridesmaids are afraid to lift their arms up because they're not wearing Secret but of course the bride is fine because she used the Secret deodorant so of course she's the one getitng married because she doesn't smell bad. And the tagline is "because you're hot". wtf?
zora
I actually really like the new secret tagline. Because You're Hot! It's awesome! It's a pun! Woo!
hellotampon
I hate those yogurt ads where the lady tells the seamstress to take in her clothes because of all the desserts she ate (neglecting to say that they were dessert-FLAVORED YOGURTS, ommmmmgggg how clever!) and then they get into a ridiculous argument about taking them in vs letting them out. It's mind-crushing. And I could totally see a customer doing that in real life because for some reason people are so desperate for attention that they actually think that messing with a cashier is "cute" and then when the cashier doesn't kiss their ass about it or let them "win" they pitch a fit.
Jezebel
So basically the yogurt industry needs to fire their ad agency wink.gif

What I want to know is, if they're at a wedding reception and they were bridesmaids...where the fuck did the yogurt come from? I doubt it was on the menu at the reception, or that it fit into their tiny bridesmaid purses. Did they sew emergency cups of yogurt into the lining of their poofy dresses? It's one of those stupid details that just annoys the hell out of you for no reason.
roseviolet
Jezebel, I've had the same thought! Do you think they brought the yogurt with them on purpose? And that they've decided to eat yogurt instead of wedding cake? Because if that's the case, then we have a whole other reason to punch them in the face.

Every time I see the Aciphex commercial, I think of this thrad and smile.
Jezebel
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has spent way too much time thinking about the yogurt logistics in that commercial.

The other thing that gets me is that it looks like it's an outdoor reception and they're sitting out in the sun eating, which...mmm, warm yogurt!
snarky7
Any commercial talking about Erectile Dysfunction, most especially those that play during dinner with my 6 year old! Come on Viagra - wait til after dinner!
Jezebel
Everyone who's been in here to complain about stupid yogurt commercials should get a kick out of this video: Yogurt: The Official Food of Women

"It's 'who serves yogurt at their wedding?' good!"
kittenb
QUOTE(Jezebel @ May 12 2008, 11:07 AM) *
"It's 'who serves yogurt at their wedding?' good!"

HA!
freckleface7
I had seriously never-questioned the yogurt eating bridemaides ever before; I was too busy being annoyed by the general snottiness of the one on the left. how on earth did I miss the Wrongness of that? ohmy.gif

every time I see the dr sholl's commerical for shoe inserts, and it's got the lanky model dancing around in black pleather pants and then =jumping= down into her stiletto's I think ' ack you'll break your ankels!!'
seems so totally irresponsible for a Foot Care Company to promote something so stupid and dangerous.
themeiu
That was such an awesome video! Thanks for sharing

It really bugs me that they sell this stuff as healthy. There's high fructose corn syrup in yoplait! gross! They are totally loaded with sugar and chemicals. And the Activa ones are not much better. From what I remember they don't even have any of the most important cultures like acidophilus. I really just love the plain organic kind. Oh, and those greek style yogurts are so freakin' good.

Now I remember why I don't watch tv. It seems to get a little worse everyday.
humanist77
that video is really funny!

themieu, I noticed the same thing-how can it be so healthy if it's got HFCS, artificial flavors, food coloring, and preservatives in it? The thing that bothers me the most is that it's ALL marketing-there is no difference between Activia (or any of those "regulatory" yogurts) and most other yogurts-it's YOGURT-they all have probiotics in them and they all help with digestion. I do eat a lot of yogurt, but I just get those quarts of the organic kind with real sugar, real fruit and no HFCS, flavors, colors or preservatives. It really tastes SO much better. And it's not even that much more expensive. I've tasted Activia. That shit is nasty.
zora
Not to mention that a four pack of activia costs 5 bucks. "Good" yogurt is like, 89 cents each, maybe?
mouse
get a big thing of plain yogurt for $3 & a little tupperware container--save your money, the environment, and your digestive tract. who knew??

that video is hilarious.

it pisses me off to no end to see people being duped by that bullshit, but it's kind of impossible to avoid these days. everyone is "healthy" and "green" but it's still just about making money at this point. wonder when the other shoe will finally drop..?
pollystyrene
Yep, "green" is just the latest form of consumerism.

Just more crap sold under the guise of it being environmentally-friendly, holistic or whatever.
humanist77
The even deeper and more disturbing issue is that because "green" these days is so materialistic and usually more pricey, it breeds the idea that the "green" lifestyle can only be enjoyed by those with money, when in reality, it should be more about spending way less and reusing more. I mean, the issue has been present for a long time now-that organic food costs more, while crap like fast food costs less-but it's only been in the last few years with the 'green' explosion that it's not just organic food-it's a whole lifestyle, and it's a strictly classist thing.

One of my roommates works at Whole Foods, and he's extremely biased. I've asked what he thinks of the company's portrayal of itself and it's target financial demographic, and he insists that there's absolutely nothing classist about the place. To him, it's just a down-home, communal, grass-roots place. He also insists that one can buy all of their groceries there, every week, on a lower-middle class income, if they do it wisely....so..if they eat pb & j every day? Hmm..I wonder why he eats half of the food that I bring home for myself. Grrr.. Yes, it's awesome that they've eliminated plastic bags..but why don't all the other major grocery chains do that too?

My conspiracy theory is that Whole Foods is actually owned by Walmart-it's something they knew would be enormously successful, and they simply wanted to tap into the upper class. I could just be crazy though : P
lilacwine13
That video was great.

Sometimes I buy my food at a place like Whole Foods and other organic grocery stores (vegetarian stuff is easier to find there), and it is extremely difficult to buy everything there if you aren't middle class and don't have a lot of disposable income. I never see the same people shopping there as I see in, say, Wal-Mart, they might as well be on different planets. I end up buying all the store brands and bulk stuff, but even then, that gets expensive. I also get sick of their claiming that things are local and organic when they aren't (the one I shopped at in Arizona claimed stuff from California was local, which really is stretching the definition).

That is the thing that really bugs me the most about some parts of the "green" movement--it's about getting more stuff, eating the right foods, living in the right neighborhoods and for some, looking down on others because they can't afford to do so. It is very classist, and that isn't going to solve anything. It will probably provoke a backlash, if anything. Buying a shirt made out of organic cotton isn't going to save the planet, but concentrating on reducing consumption would go against the grain in this country.

Um, I wish I could single out one commercial that annoys me, but right now they all do.

mouse
well, there was that hilarious deal last year when john mackey (whole foods ceo) went on financial internet forums pretending to be someone else, and praised his own company AND HAIRCUT.

the "green" thing has been pissing me off for a few years now; it's usually a technicality (my company, i hate to say, sells "organic" cotton shirts with 5% organic cotton in them >:() but i'm hoping that what starts as a trend will end up a habit. at least people are being persuaded to replace their lightbulbs and whatnot. i think eventually it will trickle down and become a practical thing rather than a status thing, but i think that's where it has to start given the way our society is set up. i do hate it, though.

and honestly, "organic" doesn't mean shit. you buy "organic" tomatoes at your grocery store thinking you're doing a great thing, when actually they've been shipped on gas-guzzling trucks two climates away. my parents have chickens and they recently got some hens that had been given up by a local "organic" egg farm...you have never seen sadder, more mistreated chickens. their beaks had been clipped off (something that is done to hens that are kept in small spaces with other hens to keep them from pecking each other), their wings had been clipped, their combs and wattles were WHITE (a healthy chicken's is bright red), and their feathers were scraggly and balding. why was it an organic egg farm? because they got fed organic feed. that's IT.

buy local, buy from small companies, farmers markets, etc., reuse what you already have (even if it means washing out your ziplock bags! i know, crazay!) buy in bulk if at all possible, don't get sucked into buying something JUST because it's organic.

i think eventually there will be an index to tell who really is living up to the claim and who isn't, it's just so early on now. but i think the fact that it's a trend right now is a good sign, because it will trickle down and eventually just become normal. fingers crossed.
damona
*continuing thread derailment*

i've been putting a lot of thought into this kind of thing lately. we are poor. as in, i have 0.94 in my pocket. no bank account, no credit cards, no phones, no cable (i have internet b/c of a generous soul who is sharing it), etc. i feed my family on food stamps. and yet, i buy organic whenever i can. i look for local stuff. i know that's sometimes a ripoff, but i try. i have actually been told by my caseworker that "poor people can't afford to be picky" when she found out that i was buying organic stuff. i'm sorry, my family is not going to be subsisting on things with fake colourings and flavours. which is not to say that i'm above buying chips or soda sometimes, but it's mostly the healthy stuff.

my point (i'm not just rambling) is that people of all classes deserve to eat healthy, organic, environmentally responsible foods. i reuse stuff as much as i can, don't generally use paper products (plates, etc) anymore, use vinegar for cleaning when i can... we live in lowincome housing and the lack of care for the environment around here just makes me want to cry. also, we aren't allowed to have a garden, or hang clothes outside to dry, they spray the lawns with pesticides.... it's sickening. yet i have no real choice right now. (i once asked the management about putting solar panels on the wide, flat, shadeless roof. she looked at me like i'd grown another head. i can't wait til we are able to live elsewhere.)

mouse, i feel so sorry for those chickens...

did you know that horizon organic milk is owned by dean foods and some plants process both organic and non-organic milk together? you're paying more, but are you getting what you pay for? around here (wi), organic valley is a better choice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.