Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: !@#$%&* Annoying Ads
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
pollystyrene
Costco's milk is also hormone and anti-biotic free and much cheaper than other places. Around here, milk can be $3-$4/gallon, whether it's nastiness-free or not (the nastiness-free stuff at Trader Joe's is over $5!!) Costco is about $2.30/gallon. I swear, between that and their gas prices (it's been as much as .25 cheaper lately) it's what makes our "executive membership" worth it.

And we don't even have kids, we just drink a lot of milk.

hellotampon
That Old Navy commercial with all the models prancing around listening to that twee singer warble really annoys me, and I'm not entirely sure why.
snow white
ditto hellotampon, that commercial always catches me off guard, like it starts as some kind of sultry jungle thing or something but really it's just skinny models in clothes unflattering to their frame, prancing around the public restroom of a really "hip" club fluffing each other's hair. at least that's the vibe i get.

btw, thankyou thankyou THANKYOU for the hilarious yogurt commentary on here. i've been wondering about the cult of yogurt for awhile now, at least it's not just me. the video was effING awesome!!!
hellotampon
I also don't like that NutriSystem ad with the Ann Coulter wannabe who brags about how she likes to watch football (oooh I'm like one of the guys! I'm hot, blonde, wearing pink, AND I like sports! wowwwwwwwwww!). Liking football has nothing to do with getting crappy, expensive pseudo-food in the mail.
i_am_jan
Oops, see above, sorry, having some computer problems
i_am_jan
Someone may have said this already, but the late night Target Store commercials, where they show the youngest, skinniest, teen supermodel girls dancing around in the latest fashions. Yuck. If I saw a girl like that walking toward me I'd laugh her to scorn and rudely tell her to eat a sandwich. Grossing me all out.

I've never seen the cell phone commercial some of you have mentioned. However, it sounds suggestive also of an upskirt camera situation?. (Girl in miniskirt, who's annoying and (so, suggestively, "deserving of it"?) followed around by people with a cell phone/camera?) Sick and for stupid people.

I've been NOT watching commercials lately actually, surfing channels through them instead or, if there's a program I don't want to miss coming back on, I'll turn to MUTE and pick up my comics during the stupidfest. I'm of the old school. I feel my only two REAL VOTES are (1) my dollar vote and (2) my attention span vote. I'll not pay anyone my attention, nor tune into, anyone who degrades, offends, sucks, is idiotic...obviously they're not getting my dollar either. I'm a total bitch when it comes to my money and my time and what gets fed in through my eyes and ears, even if it's just a 2 minute ad, that's 2 whole minutes of offensive stupidity that will not make that much-desired connection to one barracuda of a consumer who refuses to remove her "thinking cap" just coz she's relaxing in front of the idiot box. (of course, it's impossible to remember to turn MUTE on or change the channel sometimes...also there's nothing a person can do when you're watching someone else's TV at their place, or a public place, then we have no choice but to watch and bitch later.)
i_am_jan
Oops, sorry.
steph43
Any commercial that's advertising perfume kind of irritates me a bit, how anyone would possibly be able to be influenced into buying a certain perfume over another because of an overly arty advert on tv with some utlra thin super pretty girl in it is completely beyond me. Perfume doesn't change how you look it changes how you smell and since you can't smell stuff through a television these adverts make no sense at all and yet the perfume companies still feel the need to pollute commercial breaks with their pro-super-thin-eating-disorder rubbish despite the fact that it really isn't going to help their sales in the slightest.

And even moreso with those adverts with deodorant for men that say that their product will make loads of attractive women want to sleep with the people who use it. Surely the advertising companies don't actually think that people believe that rolleyes.gif
damona
steph, have you smelled any teenage boys lately? laugh.gif they do think that they'll get all the girls to sleep with them by wearing axe or whatever the stench-of-the-moment is! they load it on like it's going out of style!
zora
Anyone seen this comic about the Axe Effect?

http://overcompensating.com/posts/20060123.html

Warning! Involves murder!
i_am_jan
steph: good fracking point. How would you tell if something smells good or not by a commercial? Guess that's why they resorted to a STRAIGHT-UP LIE?!
mouse
QUOTE(steph43 @ May 24 2008, 12:16 AM) *
Any commercial that's advertising perfume kind of irritates me a bit, how anyone would possibly be able to be influenced into buying a certain perfume over another because of an overly arty advert on tv with some utlra thin super pretty girl in it is completely beyond me. Perfume doesn't change how you look it changes how you smell and since you can't smell stuff through a television these adverts make no sense at all and yet the perfume companies still feel the need to pollute commercial breaks with their pro-super-thin-eating-disorder rubbish despite the fact that it really isn't going to help their sales in the slightest.

And even moreso with those adverts with deodorant for men that say that their product will make loads of attractive women want to sleep with the people who use it. Surely the advertising companies don't actually think that people believe that rolleyes.gif

steph, unfortunately people ARE influenced by these things, and yes, people DO believe that--or they believe that buying whatever product will get them that much closer to the ideal that is portrayed. advertising companies DO actually think that people believe that, because, uh, people do. that's advertising, and that's how things get bought and sold. it's ridiculous, i agree, but it's not like the ads don't work dry.gif
i_am_jan
It continues to blow me away that ~ IN A CONSUMER SOCIETY ~ schools and most parental units do not teach their children like, a simple little crash course on advertising/media? Or perhaps the simple concept of an ECONOMIC VOTE!? I mean, you have to GO TO COLLEGE to learn any of this? (A person could also find this info buried in books, of course.) But, if we're ever going to stop killing the environment, producing too much waste, overspending...uh, you'd think a couple people/schools might find passing along these little nuggets of wisdom a tad relevant. *shudders once again at the stupendousness of the culture at large*
zora
Unfortunately, schools are too busy trying to fill their day with all of the government mandated stuff. Parents need to be taking charge of that, teaching their own children, by example.
hellotampon
And then there are some schools who receive money from advertisers themselves.
pherber
I've just returned from a holiday, visiting my mum, where I've also been watching some TV, and remembering why I got rid of TV years ago:

Commercial 1.) Candy
Commercial 2.) Toothpaste with new, improved bacteria busting power.
Commercial 3.) Coke
Commercial 4.) Dental Insurance
Commercial 5.) Cookies
Commercial 6.) Weight Watchers
WTF?

The internet commercials are annoying, too, wherever I go, I'm the 100000th visitor, and surprise, surprise I've won something!
Well, at least they're silent. Those aggressively cheerful voices in TV and radio ads are unbearable.

auralpoison
QUOTE(i_am_jan @ May 26 2008, 07:07 PM) *
It continues to blow me away that ~ IN A CONSUMER SOCIETY ~ schools and most parental units do not teach their children like, a simple little crash course on advertising/media? Or perhaps the simple concept of an ECONOMIC VOTE!?

When you consider the fact that most parents only deign to raise their kids anymore, no I'm not surprised at all. I have a couple cousins raised by the same two deadbeat parents that have no concept of any of those things. They know nothing about branding, or being a conscious consumer, they only know that "things" give them status. "I wear these $350 sneakers cos I saw them in a Snoop video & had to have them!" or "I drive a Lexus/Cadillac!" or "Look at my shiny pretty ring!" Bills aren't getting paid in favor of these accoutrements. The socio-economics of their situations don't even occur to them as long as they *look* the right way. And the boy has four kids that he *isn't* raising, thus the cycle begins anew.

Did anybody here experience Channel One News in school? They took ten minutes of class time at the end of first period to give us "news". It was mostly just fluff with product placement & couple commercials. It made me crazy at the time & I wrote a letter to the school paper about it. The administration's response was that it paid for new tvs, VCRS, etc. I would have liked to not have had to SHARE fucking BOOKS instead, but whatever. Although, it did introduce me to Anderson Cooper.

I saw something last night that pissed me off to no end. Maybe this is everywhere, I don't know, but Michelob is now selling low-carb fruit beers aimed at women. Pomegranate raspberry, Tuscan orange grapefruit, & lime cactus. Cos, y'know, women won't drink anything if it's not fruity & most importantly they won't drink it unless it fits with some INANE DIET FAD. I guess I better add the low-carb yogurt & now this fucking beer to my grocery list since I so very badly want to be skinny & fuck an asshole that'll drop a roofie into my fruity beer.

Shit. Does this mean I have to throw out the two remaining bottles of Shiner Bohemian Black since they'll make me fat & not pretty? Hrmph. It was like $8 a sixer, damnit. And I have a big tub of plain yogurt, too. Sigh. It's sooooo hard to be "perfect" these days.
i_am_jan
Wow...unbelieveable on the new frooty booze. Be CAUTIOUS even while boozing it up? Watch our weight even while getting sloshed? (Hehe...now where's my marijuana with the MUNCHY FACTOR taken out??!!)

You know, I suppose it makes sense that in a society which encourages (DEMANDS) consumerism, this economic information we discuss is necessarily hidden? Know what? I think I need to write a children's book.

zora: I agree that PARENTS should be responsible for teaching these things, as schools have to do the gov't mandated jig. But then ~ as Aural points out, there is the problem of: who's going to teach the parents this?

hellotampon: wait...really? some advertisers give money to schools? I was totally unaware of this. This peaks my interest, could you elaborate?
obelix2
jan - I remember being told when I was a kid that the people who looked like a family in a paper plate ad were just actors who had never even met each other before. My little mind was blown for days. When I start to wonder who believes any of the bs in ads, I remember that I definitely did. I don't think it would take an entire course on advertising. Just a quick explanation of how they all lie.

My jr high school had billboards inside of it. They were about four feet tall, in the cafeteria. This was back in the early 90's so maybe it's changed by now. And then there was Channel 1. Three minutes of ads and seven minutes of pre-digested news guaranteed to not offend anybody. Every day it came on and I thought "I'm watching tv in freaking school". But they gave the school free tvs or something, and all we had to do was shut up and watch for ten minutes every day. This was an incredibly poor school district, so they needed all the money they could get, but yeesh.
hellotampon
Oh yeah Jan, I think I first read about it in Fast Food Nation. Wikipedia has a little summary:
"In marketing toward children, Schlosser suggests, corporations have infiltrated schools through sponsorship and quid pro quo. He sees that reductions in corporate taxation have come at the expense of school funding, thereby presenting many corporations with the opportunity for sponsorship with those same schools. According to his sources, 80% of the sponsored textbooks contain material that is biased in favor of the sponsors, and 30% of high schools offer fast foods in their cafeterias. Anecdotes are given suggesting that students that disregarded sponsorships could be punished, such as the case with high school student Mike Cameron. He was suspended from school for an incident on "Coke day"; while his fellow students wore red or white T-shirts and posed collectively as the word COKE while aerial photographs were taken, Cameron instead wore Pepsi-blue."

and there's a list here of all the different ways products are advertised in schools: http://www.mediafamily.org/facts/facts_adsinschool.shtml

Speaking of parents, I remember when I was little there was some commercial for a Barbie. Two pretty older girls were laughing and playing with a ton of Barbies and Barbie accessories on a tropical beach with very blue water, white sand, and fun music. I said I wanted that, and my mother pointed out to me that 1) the Barbie comes by itself in a box- no other Barbies, no Barbie dream house, no beach, and no playmate to enjoy her with 2) the girls in the commercials were too old to be playing with Barbie in the first place.

My mom's not super progressive or anything and generally doesn't sit there criticizing ads, but I'm so glad she said that to me. That must have 20 years ago and I still remember it when I see commercials that target me at my age (like skin/hair/makeup commercials).

Does anyone ever see commercials aimed at kids? They're totally different from other commercials and it's a shock if you haven't seen them in a while. They're so loud and busy, and peppered with "whoooooooaaa!" "coooooooool!" and "yeaaaaaaaaah!"
i_am_jan
Un. be. lievable.

That school shite is just craaaaaazy.

And yes, the commercials for children are SHAMELESSLY evile, I have cringed.

You see? This is why I'm not a parent. I would be an angry, stewing mess of a mad ma.

I'm really thinking about that children's book though. Something along the lines of: "Once upon a time there was a tres chic little girl, smart as a whip, witty as a wizard, with a dazzling career as a newspaper delivery girl. She made X amount of money in her paycheck every week, she was saving her money in the bank so that one day she could afford to move to wonderful Sweden. Then there were all of these rotten, rich corporations, such as Malt Wisney who made their money by creating the most convincing, lying TV commercials, shows and magazine ads designed specifically to trick brainy little girl into giving them all of her money she made on her newspaper route. They did all kinds of expensive testing and surveys to find out exactly who that little girl was, and the kinds of hobbies she liked, so they would know exactly what kind of TV commercial to tailor specifically to her in an attempt to wrest control of every penny she made in her paycheck so that she would never make it out of the small town in which she lived, and they would be rich, richer, richest! Oh, but the little girl was smarter...so smart!...she did her own research to find out just that those wicked wealthy warblers were up to and they were never able to finagle a cent out of our hero's piggy bank. Thanks to her own savings, she lived comfortably ever after."
damona
ha! i_am_jan, i would totally buy that for my kids.

other than the basic fact of the general stupidity that is on tv nowadays (oh maud, i sound like my grandmother...), i refuse to have tv because i don't want to hear the endless gimmegimmegimme from my kids. as it stands, they have a very limited idea of what's cool, and only my 10yo son really gives a crap anyway. the rest of them just don't care.

i don't see too much advertising at the elementary schools here, and thank the stars, they have rejected the coke/pepsi machines and other junk food. it's not like the school provided lunch is much better, but at least it tries to be nutritious! the high school, however, is a totally different story. sad.gif
pherber
Yep, in wonderful Sweden, and Europe in general that kind of school advertising is strictly illegal, and I hope it stays that way, because the kids are already peer pressured enough into being consumer oriented.
octobersky
Oh yeah where I student taught we were required to watch Channel 1 with our students. A fair amount of my students didn't like it, so I didn't force it on them. A few asked my opinion and I gave an honest opinion followed up with the statement of fact that unfortunately the school does need the money.

While we are on the subject of adverts aimed at kids - PBS has a wonderful site for kids about debunking ad myths and such. Here it is. I used some of the lesson plans with students when I did my field work. The vast majority were shocked and surprised by the tactics - they were 6th graders. I really don't think their parents really talk to them about this kind of stuff as they are buying into as well so the cycle continues.

While we are on the topic does anyone remember Zillions Magazine? My mom used to get it for my brother and I, it really did help to make us more educated consumers. Thanks mom!! tongue.gif
steph43
QUOTE(mouse @ May 26 2008, 06:03 PM) *
steph, unfortunately people ARE influenced by these things, and yes, people DO believe that--or they believe that buying whatever product will get them that much closer to the ideal that is portrayed. advertising companies DO actually think that people believe that, because, uh, people do. that's advertising, and that's how things get bought and sold. it's ridiculous, i agree, but it's not like the ads don't work dry.gif

Yeah, guess I don't really like to admit that people actually buy into it and believe it completely because it's so depressing. I really can't stand how desperately consumerist society has become, it's really sad, children are born, put under incredible pressure throughout their childhood, are expected to do well and get a good job so that they'll be able to buy a big house, buy all the most expensive clothes and perfumes, go to nice restaurants and drive a nice car so that they will be happy. People aren't their jobs or what clothes they wear or how big their house is and it's disgusting that the media will spread this belief that if you have all this meaningless and pointless junk that they sell you'll be happy and everything will be perfect, and they do this to make money at the expense of the public?! It's truly awful.

mouse
hello, i'm glad your mom pointed out the discrepancy between what is shown and what you actually get when you buy, but uh, "the girls in the commercials were too old to be playing with Barbie in the first place"--seriously? i think girls should be encouraged to play with dolls for until they are as old as possible! marketing dolls to "older" girls is far superior, imho, than marketing clothes or makeup or diet pills or whateverthefuck. PLEASE play with dolls for as long as you can. PLEASE don't turn into britney spears when you're 11. PLEASE don't lose your childhood.

sorry, just had to say that.

october, that link didn't work. can you post it again? i'd be really interested to see that.

thanks
pollystyrene
Agreed, mouse- I do see the value in doing better than Barbie, but I don't think it should be at the expense of having girls grow up any faster than they already do.

I'm guessing this is the link october meant to post:
Don't Buy It!
mouse
that site is great! makes me want to have kids just to show it to em.
hellotampon
The girls in the commercial were like 17...

I like that site. I remember learning about food stylists and their tricks in 8th grade "life skills" class.
pinkpoodle
I'm really sick of the "Omega 3" trend in food advertising. It especially bugs me when they shorten the phrase from "Omega 3 fatty acids" to "Omegas." Pretty soon we'll start seeing packaging for Oreos boasting "rich in Omegas!" So stupid.
octobersky
Yeah Polly that was the link I meant to post, thanks smile.gif
pherber
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ May 30 2008, 03:53 AM) *
I'm guessing this is the link october meant to post:
Don't Buy It!

Oh that's such a great homepage, I had some childish fun with it, designing a burp cola ad!
Yeah, since I don't have kids, I still play myself... tongue.gif

It's great how they explain the entertainment industry, too, because much of it is aimed at kids, and the way a popstar is just the same as a bar of soap- manufactured.
damona
october and polly, thanks for the link! i'm so gonna show it to my older kids tomorrow!
deschatsrouge
there are two incredibly disgusting ads that cause my stomach to turn every time I see them; The damned sandwich commercial where people are eating five dollar bills. that is just nasty. money is the dirtiest thing. Imagine all the people who's dirty hands have touched it, the dirty wallets and pockets it's been in. ugh! I also hate the mentos commercial where a guy is sitting next to the water cooler and a woman comes up and drinks the spit right out of his mouth. UGH!

This clearly demonstrates the germophobe I am.
auralpoison
That's understandable, Deschats. Money is gross & drinking from somebody in the office's mouth is nasty. It's funny, I love kissing until I think about it later & recall what a cesspool the human mouth is.

But I am a little freaked out by the whole anti-germ thing. Everything is touted as "killing germs & bacteria!". Um, I kinda always thought we needed some germs/bacteria. When the baby was here, W ran all over spraying Lysol into the air to ostensibly protect the infant. By spraying a bunch of chemicals into the air. Riiiiight. I have this horrible feeling that one day we are going to get hit with mega-germs & hyper-bacteria that don't respond to Purell . . . and then we'll be really well fucked.

I am hating an ad for Neosporin. This little girl gets a cut that gets infected, so the mom takes her to the doctor(?!) to have it looked at because, y'know, there's no such thing as common sense. Who takes their kid to the doctor over a routine scrape? Now, I know you can get some pretty serious infections from small cuts, it's why I bring my own stuff to the salon when I get my mani/pedi, but to me the commercial implies that women are dumb & don't know how to take care of their kids unless they go see a male medical professional.

It could just be me, though.
snarky7
Vacation Property Services ad - all the old and rich people - are those the only ones who can afford a vacation?
treehugger
the one that drives me nuts/turns my stomach is the one for paper towels where the baby is eating and is covered with food~ yuk!!!
kittenb
Is it weird that I am getting girl crushes on the women in car insurance ads? I love the pink haired action girl in the E-Surance ad and now there is a cute and funny girl selling...not Prudential...Progressive! I really like her. rolleyes.gif
auralpoison
Commercials that feature doorbells. It drives me bonkers.
pollystyrene
Or when you're in the car and a song or commercial comes on the radio with sirens. Crap, I hate that.

Also, they must do something to intensify the sound in commercials of beer being poured, especially in radio commercials where they don't have a visual to further capture your interest. That sound just sends shivers own my spine for some reason.
zoya
the amplified sound in commercials that gives me the willies is the sound of a computer keyboard being typed on. I've heard it in a few commercials, and i don't know why it freaks me out so much, but there is something about the amplified sound of someone typing really fast that just makes my skin crawl.
crazyoldcatlady
...or the commercials with the alarm clock buzzer. i get the instant shakes. (pavlov, anyone?)
pollystyrene
Oh, I forgot about the alarm clock sound- me too!! I always use the radio to wake me up because if the alarm noise was the first thing I heard every morning, I'd be in a bad mood (moreso than usual wink.gif ) all day long!

I think it's because my dad is a really heavy sleeper and would set his alarm for like 90 minutes before he'd want to get up, then let it go off forever before he'd turn it off. It would always wake me up and keep me awake when I lived there and just pissed me off!
pinkpoodle
ZOYA, I absolutely haaaaaaaaaaaate the sound of typing on TV!! All of those sounds you guys mentioned are annoying, but the keyboard one is by far the worst!
pinkpoodle
Ooh!! I just remembered another ad that drives me crazy!! The "Diets don't work, Weight Watchers does" commercial!! Whatever!! Since when does counting points and strictly limiting food intake NOT fall under the definition of "diet?" I did Weight Watchers and I was hungry all the time!! It sure felt like a "diet!"
Divala
I'm not bothered by the sound of typing, but eating sounds make me want to rip all my hair out, especially in stereo surround sound.
Jezebel
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Jun 29 2008, 04:28 PM) *
Oh, I forgot about the alarm clock sound- me too!! I always use the radio to wake me up because if the alarm noise was the first thing I heard every morning, I'd be in a bad mood (moreso than usual wink.gif ) all day long!

Me three on the alarm noise hate. I never understood why advertisers would want to have a sound with such negative and annoying and unpleasant associations front and center in their ads.
Divala
Does anyone else want to rip their hair out because of that commerical with the "First there is a mountain / then there is no mountain" song? I want to find whoever does that song and beat them up. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I'd rather listen to chewing sounds in stereo surround sound than that awful song.
hellotampon
I watch Gilmore Girls reruns on the ABC Family channel and before I left for vacation they had a commercial on constantly for an upcoming new show called, "The Middleman." First of all, they played it so much I would have hated it no matter what. And the way the announcer said, "Thhhhe! MIIIIIDDLEMA-A-A-AA-AAA-AANNN!" was so fucking irritating I wanted the damn show off the air before it even started (I'm assuming it's on now because it's not every 3rd commercial anymore).
auralpoison
The one with the lady rubbing half a chicken all over the surfaces of her kitchen. I nuke my sponges a couple times a week to kill germies, I don't need to buy your paper towels or disposable wipes or whatever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.