Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quitting the pill
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Let's Talk About Sex
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mumblestutter
spermacide is really terrible stuff. i try to avoid it. i guess i assumed it was the only explanation for why the non-latex condoms bothered me... but now that i look into it they are spermacide free (which makes sense for a product for folks w/ allergies)... apparently there's something else about them that my body hates.
riotgrrl
QUOTE(leopardette @ May 17 2007, 09:49 AM) *
Hi everyone, I'm brand new here, but wanted to join and to add to this thread. I have a few answers and questions.. wink.gif

- I never used an IUD, but I know women who did. They were popular about 20 years ago, so I missed that boat (TG!) and then they were actually taken off the market for a while.
What was wrong? 1. horrible menstrual cramps. I heard they were killer. 2. Sometimes the body rejected them and ..damn.. I don't even know what, but it wasn't pretty. 3. they rarely (but still) caused permanant infertility, damaged something inside.
I think the new IUD may be different than those old ones. They may be OK. But, really talk to your DR, please!

I wish I could take BC pills but I get migraines, bloating, weight gain, feel depressed.

Anyone with bloating ever take Yasmin? It doesn't make you retain water. I did try it and it was true. But... still the headaches.

Something better than Seasonelle is coming on the US market soon. Lybren, I believe it will be called.
Lower hormonal dose than any existing pill. Stops ovulation... and your period. You take it everyday.

Sounds weird? I thought so. I looked it up etc and now, I am going to try it when it gets the final gov't approval.

With this everyday, super low dose: no build up of uterine lining, so no P. needed. The hormones actually lower your own ( takes a few months) as it regulates to the pill. SO... fewer headaches, weight gain, period and ovulation problems halted. It is going to be marketed to bad PMS sufferers.

I am very pro alternative medicine. So, please don't think I believe media hype B.S. NO WAY! I am the worst skeptic!
BUT, I'm going to brave it when it comes out!

Thanks, good luck and nice place ya have here!

About the IUD, they are coming back and there is a hormonal (levonorgestrel, no estrogen) IUD-Mirena. The side affects are supposedly minimal, and there is also a copper IUD. There are harsher side affects with the copper: horrible cramps and heavier periods. I have been doing research on Mirena because I no longer wish to take the pill due to side affects and I am not planning on having children in the near future. Based on other blogs Mirena seems like it would be a good fit for me since my spouse and I are monogamous and I have issues with the pill. There is an increased chance of infertility especially if not monogamous since STIs can climb up the string and enter the uterus causing infertility (from what I understand).
p_176
are there any good low dose pills that have minimal side effects like water retention?
mackenzie
I think that pulling out is about as effective as condoms, considering average user error. I am pretty sure I read that in the "literature" that came with my Nuvaring prescription, because I remember being surprised.

Not that either is that great compared to other methods. But I when I used Nuvaring I might as well have had a demon inhabiting my insides. It was horrible. I have never had that much post-sex pain, i.e. stinging/burning that necessitated falling asleep with an ice-pack between my legs. It was alarming, especially in combination with other side-effects, so if anyone else has had severe side-effects, you're not a freak. Or at least there's two freaks.

Pull-out has pretty much been the solo method lately, which I know is like really stupid and irresponsible and everything, but there aren't any good responsible forms of birth control.

In the meantime I will consult my Nuvaring literature again to check my facts...
missskittee
QUOTE(miamiblue @ May 4 2007, 03:55 PM) *
Yes, I am aware of this, that is why I quit using the ring as well. So I am now not using any hormonal birth control. I am just feeling kind of vulnerable just using condoms now after so many years of hormonal birth control. I definitely do not want to get pregnant at this point in time, but I also want my sex drive back!

So many of you ladies are speaking my language! I've been on the pill for about 7 years, and it had totally killed my sex drive. I just stopped taking hormones a few days ago, and I'm waiting anxiously for the day that my sex drive comes back. There's somehting so empty and unfulfilling about having no libido, as I'm sure you know.

How long did it take for some of you to get your sex drive back after being off hormonal contraceptive? I'm just wondering because my gyno told me that it varies for all women and could take months to a year.

Did anyone have luck trying to kick start their libido somehow until their hormones were normal? It's actually making me mental that I feel nothing sexually, so I'm trying to do anything to help here.

Thanks!
JennyTinDC
Missskittee et al....

I am so glad to hear about this lessened libido thing. I guess I kind of knew about it, but forgot. I've been on and off the pill for a LOOONG time. My 11 years younger boyfriend wanted me to be on it, so I agreed and now am finally realizing that it is a big mistake. My libido has generally in the toilet. I don't think I realized it because we were LD for almost 2 years and I tended to save up my energy for our one weekend a month visits. Then I moved cross-country and have been really stressed. Anyway, to add insult to injury, I just went off it this past week and I haven't had an orgasm in the last 2 weeks. It's making me crazy and my boyfriend (the one that wants me on it) is also feeling all rejected, etc..... I'm just going to have to tell 'em no more b/c pills if he wants me to enjoy sex. Besides, he doesn't even trust it and pulls out anyway. Does anyone find this strange? Am I a total sucker? unsure.gif

No-Oh,
JennyTinDC
loonlake
Just reading all of the posts here reminds me of my own birth-control anxieties...I've never been able to feel completely at ease with any method I have tried. I have never been pregnant, but I had a very bad scare earlier this year that caused me a LOT of worry. (The scare was caused by one act of drunken, totally unprotected sex with a friend. Thank goodness I did NOT get pregnant, and we both got tested for HIV and syphilis after the incident.)
I am currently taking the Pill...been on it for 2 months now. I have only had sex 3 times since going on it (just got a new boyfriend a few months ago), and I am uneasy. We have used a condom twice (so there were 2 methods used) and once without. I realize I am not comfortable without the condom (I need that extra insurance). I still have a paralyzing fear of pregnancy...I do not want to be a mother at any point in my life (I am 26) and I am seriously considering saying no to sex altogether. Yes, it's drastic, and when I told my boyfriend about this he was concerned and a bit unhappy, not to mention kinda confused. Not sure what to do...wish I could enjoy sex with the boy, but I also feel like I am not ready to risk an unplanned pregnancy, no matter how low the chances. sad.gif My libido has NOT diminished from the Pill, by the way...kinda wish it WOULD, so I wouldn't be tempted...the silly thing is, in my last relationship (of 5 years) we only used condoms and nothing else...and I never really worried about it. This fear is relatively new for me. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories.
Maccajo
hey all! im new to this but came looking for advice and this seems to be the right place! forgive me for the lack of knowledge of abbreviations!
so the question is..i came off the pill (yasmin) on the 12th of july as i had to have an operation (tonsilectomy)
as me and my boyfriend usually rely on the pill, there have been a few times when we have 'almost' forgot to be careful..if you get me?! i still have not had a natural period since coming off the pill, but a few times i have had a bit of light brown discharge.
i have not had many other symptoms, but have also given up smoking due to mentioned sore throat!lol so i think my body is kinda thinkin what the hell is goin on?!
i was wondering wen to expect my period or wud it be likely i am pg??
it wud be great to hear from anyone who has been on yasmin?
dani837
God, last month I stopped taking the pill at the same time every day and I got my period twice in a month! f....!!! I think I need to change my pill to a stronger one :-/
HenriettaPussyCat
I have to let y'all know about what I think is the ultimate birth control method. It's called the "Fertility Awareness Method". There was an article about this in Bust a few months ago and I think it's the bomb.

I was on the pill for about 5 years but had to go off it because I had migraines and a risk of stroke. I couldn't take any hormones at all so my husband and I just used condoms all the time. Then I found out about FAM and I've been using it for about two years now.

The deal is you take your temperature every morning and watch your body for signs of fertility such as lots of juicy cervical fluids. Basically you're only fertile for about 6 or 7 days of every month and by watching your temperature and your juices, you can determine exactly when those days are. You can also check the position of your cervix, which rises when you're fertile, but I've only ever done that once because the temperature and the juices are obvious enough for me.

If you don't have unprotected sex for 5 days before you ovulate or 48 hours after you ovulate you won't get pregnant. Your temperature rises about 0.5 a degree when you ovulate and stays up for 14 to 15 days until you get your period. If your temperature stays up for 18 days it means you're pregnant.

The beauty of this method is that you become in tune with and aware of your body. It also does not involve any artificial hormones or strange fishing lures in your uterus. And there's no more worrying about whether or not you're pregnant because you will KNOW three days after your period is late. Plus, ever since I went off the pill, I stopped having migraines!

Of course there is always user error, but I think it is far more dangerous to miss a pill and hope for the best than to miss a day of taking your temperature while knowing where you are in your cycle. And of course you still have to be safe about diseases, but if you're in a monogamous relationship, I would DEFINITELY check this out. Toni Weschler wrote a very informative book about this and I highly recommend it.
rockerchic0784
i havent noticed a change in my libido while on ortho lo...the mood swings are my only problem
exquisitecorpse
I was on the pill for a decade (age 17-27), and it wasn't 'til I came off it that I realised what a toll it took on my libido. All that time I thought I just had a low sex drive. My only birth control method has been condoms for the past few years.

Now I have a new fuck friend who despises condoms. I gotta admit, thinking about doing it bare again has got me feeling tingly. Any thoughts as to how the fertility awareness method, combined with withdrawal, might work out? It's nearly impossible to find hard stats for either method, never mind the combination of both.
sarasota
exquisitecorpse, i can say one thing. ever wonder why catholic families are so big? they use those same methods, and they dont really work.
pollystyrene
Phew, tracked down this thread!

I'm thinking of quitting the pill after I'm done with this pack (2 more pills, then the "off week"). It will be the first time in 10 years I've been off it.

I guess I'm more concerned about what being off will do to my body (cycles, symptoms, etc.) than my sex life. I've pretty much convinced LeBoy to get snipped. We just have to figure out the finances of that.

I have PCOS and before I went on the pill, my periods were totally irregular (sometimes up to 8 weeks in between, though I've never been good at keeping track- guess I'll have to do something about that now), I had horrific PMS symptoms. Mostly cramps, but they were like migraines in my uterus- horrible, debilitating pain, sensitivity to temperature, light, sound, everything; gastro-intestinal issues, felt like I was going to pass out most of the time. The only thing that made a dent in it was if I took a nap, I'd wake up feeling like a new person (still with cramps, but none of the other stuff.)

But now I've been on them 10 years, several different formulations (Alesse, Ortho-Tri-Cyclen, some others, currently Seasonale) and who knows what's going to happen. Before I started this latest pack of Seasonale, there was a screw-up with my mail order pharmacy and I didn't get my refill until a week after the "off week" ended. That week made me realize how much of my libido I've lost. I don't know if I just didn't notice (I've been on the pill longer than I've been sexually active) or what, but *wow* is all I have to say.

I'm not just going off them for sexual/relationship reasons. I guess I'm a little worried about hitting that 10 year mark and all the stuff you hear about the risks that pop up after being on the drugs long-term. I think I'm ready to move into that next stage of my life where I know I don't want to have kids, and obviously, neither does LeBoy, and I want to do something permanent about that (err, have LeBoy do something permanent about it...hey, I can't help it if it's cheaper and more proven than my permanent options!) Having all these issues with my hormones makes me worry about just adding more -and artificial- hormones into my body.

I guess I should maybe see an endocrinologist...I was diagnosed with PCOS by my regular physician; I don't even have a real gynecologist....am I making a mistake by just deciding to go off the drugs without any professional advice?

ETA: Snarky comment, but just reading all these prior posts, mostly by people who posted one time about quitting the pill and relying on withdrawal, makes me wonder if they never came back because they're busy taking care of a baby right now tongue.gif rolleyes.gif
LoveMyPugs
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Aug 1 2008, 04:22 AM) *
they were like migraines in my uterus

that is such a great way of describing cramps.
beck
i was on the pill for about ten years too (16-27), i didn't plan to come off it, but my prescription ran out and i was too busy to get a new one filled, (we switched to condoms in the meantime). After a month or so I realised how good I was feeling off the hormones, and was less keen to go back on the pill, especially as we were planning to try for a baby in 6 months or so anyway.

my cycles regularised pretty quickly although i noticed they were not quite so clockwork if i was stressed - my biggest beef was that my skin flared up a bit, but it wasn't drastically worse than before.

i tried a diaphragm instead for a while, but although i loved the diaphragm itself, was not so keen on the spermicide you have to use with - things got kind of...frothy! so we switched back to condoms, and then stopped using anything as i was trying to get knocked up.

i'm just thinking about what to use once the baby is born (although i doubt i'll be having sex for some time...)

after feeling so good off the pill i'm not sure i want to go back on it again, but i don't like condoms much either (although i do like the 'no wet patch' thing wink.gif )

i guess it will be condoms until i have a regular cycle again and then maybe an iud...off to look in that thread...

i'm with you on withdrawal polly, as far as i can see you might as well just cross your fingers and hope for the best. no way would i rely on that to keep babies at bay...a permanent fix isn't what i'm after at the moment but that doesn't mean i want to end up with ten kids...or having an abortion. i'd rather end up back on the pill, definitely the lesser of 2 evils for me.

LoveMyPugs
QUOTE(beck @ Aug 1 2008, 09:21 AM) *
i'm with you on withdrawal polly, as far as i can see you might as well just cross your fingers and hope for the best. no way would i rely on that to keep babies at bay...a permanent fix isn't what i'm after at the moment but that doesn't mean i want to end up with ten kids...or having an abortion. i'd rather end up back on the pill, definitely the lesser of 2 evils for me.

beck - Mr. Pugs and I use the withdrawl method. I know it's very unreliable but we've been doing it for years. Truth be told if I got pregnant it wouldn't be the end of the world. Mr. Pugs and I have talked about it and if it happens it happens. Seriously, Mr. Pugs has that shit on lock down. He pulls out way, way early. We've had a few scares but nothing has ever come of it. I also track my cycle online and I do try to avoid sex, at least intercourse, when I'm fertile. I'm not sure if that counts as two methods or not. I can't use spermicide because of the "froth" issue like you said. I get yeast infections if I think about itcing. Mr. Pugs hates condoms. I hated how I felt on the pill. Like you I felt better being off the hormones. Mr. Pugs really hates my emotional outbursts when I'm PMS'ing but then I remind him of the money we save on bc pills and other methods and the fact that he doesn't have to wear a condom that shuts him up.
beck
yeah pugs, i get that, if you're in a place where getting pregnant wouldn't be a disaster, then cool - i guess i just like a little more control than that...and plus the fertile period is when i'm the most horny so not having sex during that time would be a bummer, i'd just end up needing to use condoms or whatever anyway wink.gif

i just get a bit alarmed when i hear of people using it as their sole method when they know they really don't want kids, i'm very pro-choice but prevention is better than cure right?

along with my other obsession with getting tested before ditching condoms. i am always reminding/nagging my sisters about waiting 6 months and then getting tested before they even think about it! like i always say, you could catch something much worse than a baby...

LoveMyPugs
i completely agree and understand. i too am very horny when i'm fertile. i feel your pain. i know my body puts out pheromones too because it seems like Mr. Pugs is all over me as well. however, that's when i break out the hitachi or just get and give a lot of oral. i guess i consider myself using two methods. 1) withdrawl 2) tracking my cycle. I wouldn't recommend this to my little sister. Mr. Pugs and i have been together for 12 years and we are financially and emotionally prepared if a baby was on the way. i won't lie when i say that mr. pugs and i actually needed to leave the house one time because we were going to rip each other's clothes off and it just wasn't a "safe" time for sex.
beck
QUOTE(LoveMyPugs @ Aug 1 2008, 04:56 PM) *
i won't lie when i say that mr. pugs and i actually needed to leave the house one time because we were going to rip each other's clothes off and it just wasn't a "safe" time for sex.

hehehe LOL!! i definitely would have cracked and used the condoms!

rubberdollz
I recently quit the pill about 2 months ago, I had been using it for over 12 years. It's really scary to not be taking this pill that has been a part of my life for so long. I finally started to get concerned about my health and what these hormones may be doing to my body. I ended up buying a book by a woman named Katie Singer who talks about Fertility Awareness (no not the rhythm method either). They are really interesting and teach you how to chart your body day to day. I have started to notice differences in myself since being off the pill, but they are good things.

My husband was pretty scared when I told him I was going off the pill but I let him know that he is more than welcome to start on the pill anytime he wants! Of course I know that's not possible but I told him that being on the pill is just not an option for me anymore. I know that pregnancy could happen but at long as I chart myself every day then I know what my body is doing and when I'm fertile and not fertile.
dani1983
The only bad effects I had when I stopped taking the pill this second time was that my boobs aren't big anymore :-( then again I lost some weight (i started losing it before i stopped taking the pill) but now i regained it, but still, no boobs :-( that and i don't get my period regularly, but that must be cause of stress/diet.
The first time I stopped taking the pill I got pimples all over the sides of my face, and i neeever get pimples!

AmandaEliese
hey all. Im new here, names Amanda. Not sure how any of this works, so bear with me while i get the hang of it:D

I actualyl stopped taking my birth control (Necon 1/35...think its a generic..) two days ago... Been a bit moody, but thats normal.
My birth control has DESTROYED MY LIBIDO. and i mean DESTROYED. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO DESIRE FOR SEX SINCE I STARTED IT.
so, its causing problems between me and fiance. we have one 11 month old daughter, and now is not the best time for another child but id rather use a condom than go through this anymore
so like i said, i quit it two days ago and am worried that i am now very susceptible to get pregnant?? I googled symptoms of coming off of the pill and found this forum and decided to join.smile.gif
but most everything I found was "im coming off of the pill and trying to get pregnant..." which i definitely am not.
any help?smile.gif
how long did it take you guys to get your libido back to normal??
did anyone else have such serious effects to the libido??
i mean, literally. its been to the point where id rather blow my brains out.
pollystyrene
(I posted most of these details a few weeks ago, but I'm going to update the situation and reply to Amanda)

It's weird- I was on Seasonale, the one that's packaged to be taken for 3 months, then a week off to bleed. Back in May or April, when my previous pack ended, I didn't start a new one until a week after the off week due to mail-order pharmacy issues. That extra week really reminded me of what I'd been missing, libido-wise.

During the next pack, I decided it was time to go off the pill. I've been on them nearly 10 years, I'm in a stable relationship with someone who's willing to get a vasectomy. In the last of the three months, I forgot a few pills in a row on a few occasions, something I hadn't really had a problem with before, so I decided my body and mind were trying to tell me something- it just started to feel like I was forcing my body to do something it didn't want to anymore. And I missed how I felt during that extra week off wink.gif

Anyway, now I've been off them for three weeks, going through the adjustment period with my hormones and the sad and disturbing thing is that I haven't gotten my libido back yet. dry.gif I'm not sure what was different a few months ago. I should be getting my period soon- we'll see what happens during/after that.
rubberdollz
Ok I have to say it took about a month to get my libido back and that was after being on the pill for 12 years or so? I haven't had one in years and within the first month it came back.

Everyone is different. For me I decided that I wanted to come off the pill because I was tired of taking something so unnatural and I bought books on how to chart my cycle (Katie Singer) so I know what my body is doing every day. It's been quite the learning experience but it has helped. She has a website too that offers charts to print off and also has information on there as well. The books really help because they explain what you need to do, chart your temperature, cervical fluid and as an option you can check your cervix too. I still haven't ovulated since being off the pill but it's only been 3 months. If you aren't trying to get pregnant you may find out that you aren't even ovulating yet.

You've only been off the pill for 2 days.... give your body some time to adjust back to something normal. You might try charting if you don't mind taking a few minutes out of your day every day.

I've officially been off the pill for 3 months and I can say it's been an experience. My mood swings are not nearly what they used to be when I was on the pill, my libido has come back which is super great! The only thing that sucks is trying to figure out when I'm actually going to start my period. Knowing every 28 days that you are going to start is kind of nice to plan for but my first month I was off I got my period on the 28th day, this past month I went 41 days! Yeah it's really great not having a period for that long of time but I had no idea when it was coming?????? We'll see what happens this month.
pixiestix
does anyone know any good websites for using the charting method to track your periods?
BettyBombShell
[font="Book Antiqua"][/font][color="#000000"][/color]

Oh my God, you have no idea how much I relate to the issues you are having. I am 26 and have seriously considered jepordizing my (new) relationship over sex. Here's the background info...
I had a 7 year relationship with NO ANXIETY what-so-ever about sex but I didn't really enjoy sex, especially towards the end of the relationship as much as I should have. I am on the pill and was throughout that relationship, but we also used condoms or spermicide as well (because I am PARANOID about getting pregnant). I left that relationship and am now in a new one. With my new relationship, my partner has a issue with condoms. He has had very few partners and has used condoms in the past (but has also had a couple of partner/relationships where he has just used the pill). When we first started dating we used literally a dozen different condoms but he could not "feel it" enough and would lose the erection. This happened numerous times with a variety of condoms. He also hadn't had sex in a good year before we were together. FRUSTRATION to say the least.
So since I felt like I had no other choice, I have taken a leap of faith and am using the pill and spermicide. I KNOW that the pill is 99.9% effective but frankly that just isn't enough reassurance. Not to mention I am utterly freaked about HPV/STD's (we both are clean as far as we know but there isn't a test for the carrier of HPV) but due to the circumstances I feel like I have no choice. If that were not enough, I have also gotten sick lately and am now on antibiotics which will interefere with the pill, thus we have to use condoms for the month. This should be an adventure.
I just get so incredibly frustrated that women seem to be the ones with ALL of the anxiety over it. I just want to scream. I don't think I should be this aggrevated with sex and I feel like I am the only woman who is freaking this much, thankfully I found this board.

QUOTE(loonlake @ Aug 2 2007, 08:39 PM) *
Just reading all of the posts here reminds me of my own birth-control anxieties...I've never been able to feel completely at ease with any method I have tried. I have never been pregnant, but I had a very bad scare earlier this year that caused me a LOT of worry. (The scare was caused by one act of drunken, totally unprotected sex with a friend. Thank goodness I did NOT get pregnant, and we both got tested for HIV and syphilis after the incident.)
I am currently taking the Pill...been on it for 2 months now. I have only had sex 3 times since going on it (just got a new boyfriend a few months ago), and I am uneasy. We have used a condom twice (so there were 2 methods used) and once without. I realize I am not comfortable without the condom (I need that extra insurance). I still have a paralyzing fear of pregnancy...I do not want to be a mother at any point in my life (I am 26) and I am seriously considering saying no to sex altogether. Yes, it's drastic, and when I told my boyfriend about this he was concerned and a bit unhappy, not to mention kinda confused. Not sure what to do...wish I could enjoy sex with the boy, but I also feel like I am not ready to risk an unplanned pregnancy, no matter how low the chances. sad.gif My libido has NOT diminished from the Pill, by the way...kinda wish it WOULD, so I wouldn't be tempted...the silly thing is, in my last relationship (of 5 years) we only used condoms and nothing else...and I never really worried about it. This fear is relatively new for me. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories.

LustfullyPink
I'm assuming you posted your post in this thread because you want to go off of the pill but your boy is bitching about condoms, so I'll reply as such.

Don't jeopardize what YOU believe in and what has worked for YOU just for some boy, BettyBombShell. I think he's only losing his erection because he's thinking too hard about not using a condom, not because he 'can't feel anything'. If he's not willing to use condoms, he's not not worth it, in my books. There are many more men out there who will be more than happy to use condoms. That being said, if you really feel like you don't want to leave this guy, make sure he knows that once you go off the pill, you will be at a much higher risk of getting pregnant if you use only spermicide, rather than spermicide in conjunction with condoms.

On a completely different note, you said that you are 'pretty sure you're both clean'. Please, for the love of all that is hallowed, don't have unprotected sex without BOTH of you going and getting tested for ALL STD's, then using a condom for 6 months, then getting tested again. PLEASE. I'm not really sure if you did this or not, but you saying that you're 'pretty sure' you're both clean has me worried.

Laurenzorro
Hi everyone!
I stopped taking the pill not too long ago as I would like to learn the fertility awareness method, keep my body all good n' that.
I'm on day 40 of my cycle and wondering if I should take a pregnancy test or just wait it out a little longer? What problems have any of you had with getting your periods back to normal? Any tips on dealing with the frustration would be great!
stargazer
Hey Lauren, I bumped up a thread here for you. You might find what you are looking for in that thread.
BettyBombShell
You are totally right. I am not planning on getting off the pill per se right now, but I am concerned about it's long term effects on my body. I have been using the pill with spermicide (BTW the right about the STD info too) but just feel a bit insecure about that. Any additional thougths?

QUOTE(LustfullyPink @ Oct 14 2008, 05:02 PM) *
I'm assuming you posted your post in this thread because you want to go off of the pill but your boy is bitching about condoms, so I'll reply as such.

Don't jeopardize what YOU believe in and what has worked for YOU just for some boy, BettyBombShell. I think he's only losing his erection because he's thinking too hard about not using a condom, not because he 'can't feel anything'. If he's not willing to use condoms, he's not not worth it, in my books. There are many more men out there who will be more than happy to use condoms. That being said, if you really feel like you don't want to leave this guy, make sure he knows that once you go off the pill, you will be at a much higher risk of getting pregnant if you use only spermicide, rather than spermicide in conjunction with condoms.

On a completely different note, you said that you are 'pretty sure you're both clean'. Please, for the love of all that is hallowed, don't have unprotected sex without BOTH of you going and getting tested for ALL STD's, then using a condom for 6 months, then getting tested again. PLEASE. I'm not really sure if you did this or not, but you saying that you're 'pretty sure' you're both clean has me worried.

LustfullyPink
I think that as long as you are taking your pill correctly, and following the directions of whatever type of spermicide you're using then you've got the Fort Knox of birth control. Doubling up is always a good idea. If you are concerned about the long term effects of hormonal birth control, have you considered getting fitted for a diaphragm, or a leah's shield? Both can be used in conjunction with spermicide and that's pretty effective. I'd reccomend using the Fertility Awareness Method along with all that, though, and at the very least having your boy wear condoms when you're at your most fertile. But really, if this boy isn't willing to use condoms, if for no other reason than it would make you feel better, then he isn't worth it. But of course, that is ONLY my opinion. You know your situation much better than I ever could.
culturehandy
Oh look, someone else plugging an escort agency. Eau du Troll indeed.
angie_21
Wow.. new here, but a lot of experiences to share on this topic. It sometimes becomes life-consuming, doesn't it? I am planning to quit the pill this week, and I had forgotten how hard the decision was the first time I did this. It is so much easier the second time - all I can think about, now that I've made the decision, is that I just can't wait to feel like a "whole" person again!

Since everyone's asking about their periods when you quit... my experience was completely different. Four years ago, I was having emotional/sexual problems and agreed with my doctor to try going off the pill for a while. I had been on it for 3 years. I was waiting out the end of the pack, but my peroid appeared at full strength in the middle of the cycle so I just stopped outright. I guess my body knew exactly what was going on. It lasted over a week, and I got my peroid every 3 weeks for the next few cycles, then back to my normal 30-day cycles. This is what happens, I guess, when you abuse the pill to skip your period at odd times.

Less than a week after stopping, my libido came raging back to life! It was awesome! For those of you waiting for it to come back, the #1 best thing to kickstart it is lots of excercise and fresh air, it definitely helped me. I also got my handle on reality back.

I tried a copper IUD for 6 weeks and it was the most awful experience of my life. I bled for the whole 6 weeks, I could feel it the whole time, and had cramps that I hadn't had since junior high. I personally wouldn't recommend it, it felt sooooo invasive. I never tried the hormonal IUD, because I wanted to avoid the hormones. Spermicide is hell on the vag, I also wouldn't recommend it. Yeast infection city!

Now I have been back on the pill for 2 years, and the last year has been one long ordeal. Yeast, UTI's, pain during sex, and finally the recent complete disappearance of my libido. I had never EVER had pain before, despite an adventurous sex life, and thought it was something physically wrong with me. A year of tests and hypochondria found nothing... so it is starting to look like the pill is the culprit. Nice when the doc tells you you are "imagining" it, without even considering the many side effects of the pill. Also nice that she prescribed a pill famous for causing mood swings (Marvelon) to a girl with a family history of mental illness! Needless to say, I also can't wait for the mood swings and strange crying fits to stop.

I'll chekc back with an update soon. So many girls have no idea what the pill is doing to them.. even I forgot for a year, and let this drag on for way too long.
sassy
QUOTE(angie_21 @ Jan 30 2009, 09:53 PM) *
Wow.. new here, but a lot of experiences to share on this topic. It sometimes becomes life-consuming, doesn't it? I am planning to quit the pill this week, and I had forgotten how hard the decision was the first time I did this. It is so much easier the second time - all I can think about, now that I've made the decision, is that I just can't wait to feel like a "whole" person again!

Since everyone's asking about their periods when you quit... my experience was completely different. Four years ago, I was having emotional/sexual problems and agreed with my doctor to try going off the pill for a while. I had been on it for 3 years. I was waiting out the end of the pack, but my peroid appeared at full strength in the middle of the cycle so I just stopped outright. I guess my body knew exactly what was going on. It lasted over a week, and I got my peroid every 3 weeks for the next few cycles, then back to my normal 30-day cycles. This is what happens, I guess, when you abuse the pill to skip your period at odd times.

Less than a week after stopping, my libido came raging back to life! It was awesome! For those of you waiting for it to come back, the #1 best thing to kickstart it is lots of excercise and fresh air, it definitely helped me. I also got my handle on reality back.

I tried a copper IUD for 6 weeks and it was the most awful experience of my life. I bled for the whole 6 weeks, I could feel it the whole time, and had cramps that I hadn't had since junior high. I personally wouldn't recommend it, it felt sooooo invasive. I never tried the hormonal IUD, because I wanted to avoid the hormones. Spermicide is hell on the vag, I also wouldn't recommend it. Yeast infection city!

Now I have been back on the pill for 2 years, and the last year has been one long ordeal. Yeast, UTI's, pain during sex, and finally the recent complete disappearance of my libido. I had never EVER had pain before, despite an adventurous sex life, and thought it was something physically wrong with me. A year of tests and hypochondria found nothing... so it is starting to look like the pill is the culprit. Nice when the doc tells you you are "imagining" it, without even considering the many side effects of the pill. Also nice that she prescribed a pill famous for causing mood swings (Marvelon) to a girl with a family history of mental illness! Needless to say, I also can't wait for the mood swings and strange crying fits to stop.

I'll chekc back with an update soon. So many girls have no idea what the pill is doing to them.. even I forgot for a year, and let this drag on for way too long.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm planning on quitting the pill in the next couple of months. I have been on it for the past six years -- since I was 18 -- and I have been using it to skip my periods entirely. However, over the past year, my sex drive has been basically non-existent. My gyno swears the pill wouldn't suddenly do this, but I don't know what else it could be. Plus, I am just ready to get rid of the artificial hormones in my body. The only thing I am really dreading is having a regular period again...that was my favorite part about the pill. My husband is getting a vasectomy soon so I will no longer have to worry about birth control which has been a major factor in my decision to quit.
juls
I quit the pill about 3 weeks ago, and it feels great not to worry about forgetting to take it anymore! I had been on it for about 12 years nonstop... pretty scary when you think about that... I mean, can I even GET pregnant? We want to have a baby, but only want to start trying in about a year...

Alot of my friends are having difficulties getting pregnant, and that got me paranoid, so I did my due diligence, and a few months ago I bought this book called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler... it basically explains how you can chart your cycles, and how you can use the information to either get pregnant, or not get pregnant.

We're using condoms for now, because I'm assuming it's gonna take a few months before my cycles get back to normal, but I'm really looking forward to understanding my body a bit more. I think all women should read this book. It really pisses me off that I never knew some of the most basic things about the female body.

Also, I hear that alot of people lose a few pounds when they get off the pill... for those of you who have, was this immediate, or gradual? Just wondering because so far there's been no change in my weight...
rubberdollz
Juls, I quit the pill almost a year ago and have not noticed a difference in my weight.

I totally hear ya though on getting to know my body better! I bought the books by Katie Singer and she offers charts on her website to help you chart your cycle every month. It took me about 5 months to actually ovulate after quitting the pill, so just give your body time. You never know, your body could adjust quickly and you could start ovulating in a month. I was on the pill for about 12 years myself and it's so crazy to think what the pill might have been doing to me.

I found out that I had hypothyroidism just by quitting the pill and charting. I had some health problems and saw my ob who recommended a doctor to me. Went in, got some tests and nothing. I decided on my own to quit the pill and started charting immediately. Come to find out my temperatures were below a normal range and that was why I was so tired all of the time. I got on a iodine supplement to boost my iodine levels and I've been normal since. You will be amazed by the things you can learn by charting!

Also I see that a lot of you are talking about loss of libido. This is the one thing that I hate about birth control and I do believe that it fully causes loss! I kept hoping my would return after 12 years of being on birth control but I've read that birth control can kill it completely and that is so scary to me. I've been trying to just eat healthy and I exercise and not much else you can do....
sassy
Since quitting the pill less than a week ago after being on it for six years (and using it to skip most of my periods), I have noticed:

*I have lost about 4 pounds. I contribute this to water weight but I have also noticed I don't have the urge to snack as often.

*I lost my boobies! My boobs went from super firm to kinda squishy. Boo.

*I am already bleeding but my periods are way out of whack from skipping them so often so I expected this.

*I am getting some headaches which I contribute to my body getting adjusted to the lack of artificial hormones in my body.

*I am getting some sex drive back, but I hope it gets stronger over time. (This was the main reason I quit the pill. I had seriously no desire at all to do anything sexual anymore. My husband was going crazy.)

I feel like I feel better overall without the pill. Hopefully my body will get adjusted over the next month.
angie_21
Well it's been 3 weeks now since going off the pill for the second time (yay!) and I am very happy to report that things have steadily been getting back to normal. The number 1 difference is that most of my anxiety and OCD-like symptoms are going away. My head feels a lot clearer, my muscles feel stronger, my interest in sex is returning. The pain during sex has completely disappeared! Unfortunately I also have a mild case of zit-face, but what can you do? My boyfriend is still thrilled to have the real me "back." Anf my boobs are inexplicably a bit bigger.

No headaches, but I have had a few dizzy spells that last about 30 seconds or so. No weight loss, but I wasn't expecting any. My weight gain and loss has always been pretty unrelated to the pill, though.

Boy is my doctor going to hear it at my next visit.

QUOTE(sassy @ Feb 17 2009, 12:37 PM) *
Thanks for sharing this. I'm planning on quitting the pill in the next couple of months. I have been on it for the past six years -- since I was 18 -- and I have been using it to skip my periods entirely. However, over the past year, my sex drive has been basically non-existent. My gyno swears the pill wouldn't suddenly do this, but I don't know what else it could be. Plus, I am just ready to get rid of the artificial hormones in my body. The only thing I am really dreading is having a regular period again...that was my favorite part about the pill. My husband is getting a vasectomy soon so I will no longer have to worry about birth control which has been a major factor in my decision to quit.

Sassy - I found that the loss of libido was gradual, but because of that it takes a long time to notice, until one day a year or two later you actually realise what's going on. That's why it's so hard for women to actually trace it to the pill. For me, the libido also really started to slow down after a trigger like stress or relationship problems, but never rebounded afterwards like it normally would.

There are a number of studies about the lowered testosterone caused by taking the pill and what it does to women, especially sex drive. I can't believe they aren't better publicised! I will look up some references and post them soon.

candycane_girl
bump for DM!
designermedusa
Thanks for bumping the thread, turns out I was looking in the wrong forum (I was looking in the health forum). Reading through this thread makes me feel better about quitting the pill. This June would be 10 years of continuous use, and I'm feeling like I need to quit the pill. I've had anxiety for a long time, and I think it could be related to the pill. I honestly can't remember if I suffered from anxiety before that, and I also have suffered migraines that my doctor says are linked to the bc pill use. I have to take migraine medicine every month, and I think going off the pill will help. I guess the thing is I won't know if any of these issues are caused by the bc pill until I quit, and give my body time to adjust.

I never really thought about loss of a sex drive because I just assumed it was normal. After reading this thread though, I wonder if I have a low sex drive due to the bc, and again I won't know until I go off of it.

I'll be sure to update once I quit the pill, I have another three weeks until the end of this pack. At that point I need to make a decision.
angie_21
Hi medusa - hope things work out. 3 weeks sounds like a good amount of time to think about it. I quit the pill 2.5 months ago. After considering it for months, I just made the decision at the last moment, after a really bad day, even though I had just paid for 2 more packs. I think I hit the breaking point. My take on it, is that you can always go back on the pill if you don't see any difference, and it's can't hurt just to find out. Just remember, things (including possibly headaches) may get worse for a while as your hormones readjust, before they get better.

As for me, I can give another update. The dizzy spells and zits went away after my second cycle. My libido has evened out, it's still not what it used to be, but the pain I was experiencing during sex is slowly disappearing. It is taking a lot longer than I had hoped, though. I am really very happy that I got off the pill right before going through the really stressful situation of being out of work for the last few months - I don't think I would have been able to handle this the way I was before! I am pretty biased because of my past experiences, and my general distaste for the pharmaceutical industry, but I think most of my reasons were pretty soundly backed up by research, even if it is research that tends to be ignored by doctors & the public because of how amazingly convenient the pill is.

I don't know if anyone else saw this on the news recently:
BCP inhibits growth of lean muscle mass during weight training
This has actually been known for a long time, based on the effect of the pill on women's testosterone levels. It's even known to affect tendons/ligaments, though I have no idea where I read that and will have to check back with references if anyone is interested.
zoya
DM - I was on the pill for over 10 years, and the best thing I ever did was get off of it. I felt crazy - really bad mood swings, my libido was really low, I felt like crap. I just decided to stop taking it and see what happened, and about 3 -4 weeks after I'd stopped, it was like the clouds just parted one day. after being off of it for about 2 -3 months, my libido came way back. I didn't feel nearly as crazy.

I was off the pill for just under 6 years when I got an IUD this year (copper T, no hormones, see the IUD thread in OBOH for my story) being completely hormone free is the best thing I ever did. I highly recommend trying it. I feel like I own my body now.
designermedusa
From all the stories I've heard from Busties and others it seems like quitting the pill is a good choice for me. I'm really anxious to end this pill pack, and see how my body will react. I have two more packs because of mail order (you get three packs in one shipment), but I'll just save those, and then throw them out later if I don't need them.

I'll post an update after I quit the pill in the next two weeks. Thank for the advice everyone.
designermedusa
I extended taking the pill another month, but I am now done with the pill. It's been two weeks (one week of sugar pills which I don't take, and then this week I would have started a new pack). So far everything has been good, I had a headache one day, but I don't know if that's due to quitting the pill or not.
angie_21
hi dm, that's exciting! hope things continue to go well. It's been five months for me now and things are slowly and steadily getting better. I'm a bit disappointed in how slowly my sex drive is coming back, but it is definitely so much better than before. I think the pill I was on really did a number on my body, and it might take a year or two to get back to normal.
JessieLaFemme
I haven't had any bad experiences on the pill, thankfully, but I often have wondered if it is good for your body. Can it really be all that safe to fuck with your hormones? I'm paranoid about prescription medications and their affect on your body in general, does anyone have any opinions or suggestions on other forms of birth control (besides condoms, haha).
angie_21
right now I am using a combination of condoms and fertility awareness. There's a thread on it somewhere but it's relly old. I would just go to Fertility Awareness Toni Weschler if you are at all interested.

I have a lot of opinions about the pill, but I also recognize the amazing benefits it can have, and that it's a good thing for a lot of girls, and healthier for your body than being preganant or having an abortion. But, otherwise, no, it's proven to have significant and sometimes lasting "side-effects," some of which are very subjective and easy for the pharmaceutical industry to dismiss. And it hurts your body more than they will tell you to mess with it - skipping your periods like on the new pills (seasonale) is even worse, I've done it two or three times, after asking my doctor if it was safe (she said yes) and it made me physically and emotionally off balance for months afterwards
BustiRubi
QUOTE(angie_21 @ Jul 1 2009, 08:38 AM) *
... skipping your periods like on the new pills (seasonale) is even worse, I've done it two or three times, after asking my doctor if it was safe (she said yes) and it made me physically and emotionally off balance for months afterwards

I (think) I have quit using nuva ring (ran out of the prescription-is there a nuva ring thread??) unhappy realizing that since I've been using it every week I would be irritated and/or depressed and it took me a while to realize it.

I chose the ring because I am forgetful and didnt want to worry about taking the pill perfectly but in turn it resulted in my leaving the ring in an extra week skipping my period-because I forgot about it! I did that too much :/ I was kind of happy because I'd rather not have my period but there is something definitely off balance with my hormones now and I think I was already a bit off to begin with!

Sooo who knows? I can say I've been having the time of my life these past couple weeks with moving with my new roomates and not dealing with relationship stress since I don't live with my bf n e more (we're still together) so I don't know what to attribute my good mood to heheh rolleyes.gif It's tough being a sensitive girl I don't know who to blame or to blame myself and for that I am going to therapy. I just don't need to have children right now and I just want to be happy.

maybe lil off topic but is it?
truthseeker
unsure.gif

Hi all, new here. I love this thread. Exactly why I joined the Bust anyway.

So I want to quit the pill. I've been on it for approx. 20 yrs. now. I'm in my late 30s. I don't know when it happened, but it did, my sex drive went kapoof! My DH brought it up a few weeks ago, and for our anniversary surprised me with a box o fun if you know what I mean. Of course I said oh yes, let's give this a try, thinking my urges would come back, but noooo.

here's the kicker too --- he had a V last year and is sterile (soon to be checked out anyway). We DO NOT want kids. So once he's got the A-OK on sterility, I'm gonna quit the pill.

I'm on OrthoCept. Anyone else here? I'm worried about what'll happen. As it is now, I have horrible periods, I mean outright insanity for a few days. I'll cry for no reason and fight for no reason. I am really hopeful this will get better once I quit. Right now, I have a period every 4 mos. or so and that's great, but I'm convinced I can't lose weight because of this stupid pill and the loss of my sex drive is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!

Any thoughts? Any good tips on what to do when you quit the pill, i.e. supplements, etc.? I exercise regularly but am overweight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.