Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: caught by the fuzz: to shave or not to shave
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
crinoline
my big problem with pubic hair removal is that I have *literally* clear pubic hair (I'm a natural blond) but my boy has repeatedly asked me to go bare. It's ridiculously difficult to remove hair that I can't see!! Shaving scares me (on the labia anyway), so I've been trying wax. Unfortunately I live in an area where there is no reputable salon with bikini waxing services. So I've gotta do it myself. How can I tell what direction the hair grows in when I can only see it if the light hits it just so?
I'm trying to go bare as a surprise for the boy. I've gotten about halfway done on one side, so hopefully I'll be finished by the time the boy gets here (next week). I'm doing it in small increments so it's not overwhelming. (personally, I'm fine with just a trim, it's not like I can see it anyway)

any tips from experienced waxers?
LoveMyPugs
god damnit i hate shaving. seriously, i hate it. i do trim my pubic hair but that's only because occasionally, when it's been a while since i've trimmed, i'll move the wrong way and i'll get some snagage from my jeans or underwears. that sucks. in the middle of class and shift in my seat and suddenly WOW!!! WTF?? as far as my legs and pits are concerned i haven't shaved in close to a year. i don't have a lot of hair and what i do have is very light. when we went to the beach and i was going to be in a swimsuit, shorts and tanktops i did shave my legs and pits. i've been meaning to trim my lady parts but haven't gotten to it. my skin is usually itchy the next day so i procrastinate. dry.gif
heartlikeajet
boy, being hairy is lonely sometimes, even in feminist circles!
faerietails
QUOTE(LoveMyPugs @ Jul 11 2008, 08:11 AM) *
in the middle of class and shift in my seat and suddenly WOW!!! WTF??

*chokes* serves me right for eating cornnuts while laying down in bed... laugh.gif
giiiiiiiiiiiirl, i hear ya on that one!

heartlikeajet, i know what you mean. i don't shave anything and trimming my pubes is reaaaaaally rare (pretty much only happens in the instance pugs mentioned). i had to shave my underarms a few weeks ago for my friend's wedding. that made me sad.
auralpoison
I third the hairfest! I trim the pubic topiary, but that's about it. I *earned* that hair! I had to go through years of puberty to get it & if a guy has gender issues with my light fur, he can suck it.
culturehandy
The reason I sugar is because it makes me much more aware of my body and my sexuality.

No man has ever said what he prefers, I do it because it's my personal preference. With that said, I do leave a landing strip, that's my thing.
LoveMyPugs
culture - do you make your own sugaring mixture or do you buy it?

what are the steps involved? someone told me that if you powder yourself first then the sugaring works even better? have you heard of that?
culturehandy
Pugs, I go to someone to get it done, she has all the stuff there. But, she does use a powder first, then puts the stuff on, then removes the hair bit by bit.
vesta
crinoline, first I just have to say that you shouldn't be going bare down there for anyone but yourself! It's painful and can get expensive. I'd say that if it's something you want to do as a surprise for him, that's great; but he shouldn't expect you to go through all that (and it does sound like it's been a rough ride for you) just because he wants you to.

That said, if you're looking for something do it yourself, Sally Hansen makes a Brazilian/Bikini microwavable wax kit that I LOVE. I've been waxing for about 5 years now but going to the spa every 2 months gets expensive! So, in between spa visits I use this little jarred miracle. It does take quite a bit of time and the wax may need to be re-nuked a couple times to keep it warm enough, but there's no muselin strips to deal with and it's actually less painful than the wax they use at the spa. Then I use TendSkin to reduce bumps and ingrowns. Bikini Zone also works well and is a bit cheaper. Also, you may want to try taking an OTC anti-inflammatory about an hour before you wax. I efinately notice the difference when I do.
rubberdollz
Oh my lord this topic is wonderful!

I have to say that I have yet to grow out my armpit hair, I still have a hard time letting that grow in. I usually shave my legs about once a week, but that's only up to my knees. Once you get to the thighs I'm all hair. I figure I never wear shorts that high anyways and my hair is so blonde you can't even tell it's there. I am so tired of shaving, it's boring and I hate spending the time just doing it. I do keep the bikini area shaved and I might trim up the pubes but that is not on a regular basis.

My husband has issues with only the armpit hair and other than that he doesn't mind when I shave my legs or pubes. He does like the pubes being there though and has asked on numerous occasions for me to grow them out. The only reason I keep them trimmed is so my undies don't snag on them and pull. That shit hurts!

To tell you the truth though... I love the ol' man, but f* that! He's not the one doing the trimming so he has to suffer with what I feel like doing at the moment. Usually a saturday or sunday is the time I might take care of the shaving.
hellotampon
I forgot all about the pube snaggage. I used to get that in high school. I guess I've been trimming for a while. Before I started trimming I would get like, crotch dandruff, as disgusting as that is! And I hated it when the hair would get all wet when I had sex or my period.

I think armpit hair is cool- I'm always trying to grow mine. Then I get my period, and I get RAGING hot (like right now), and I shave them. Plus my crystal deodorant doesn't work with the hair there, and regular deodorant, which sucks anyway, gets all built up in it.
rubberdollz
QUOTE(hellotampon @ Jul 22 2008, 10:16 PM) *
I forgot all about the pube snaggage. I used to get that in high school. I guess I've been trimming for a while. Before I started trimming I would get like, crotch dandruff, as disgusting as that is! And I hated it when the hair would get all wet when I had sex or my period.

I think armpit hair is cool- I'm always trying to grow mine. Then I get my period, and I get RAGING hot (like right now), and I shave them. Plus my crystal deodorant doesn't work with the hair there, and regular deodorant, which sucks anyway, gets all built up in it.

Yeah it also depends on the type of undies you are wearing. I've been trying to get away from all that frilly fru fru crap and stick to the old faithful cotton hipsters/boy shorts. I just can't do the thong or g-string stuff with the pubes.

Have you ever tried alcohol on the pits? I've been using no deodorant since about December of last year and all I use is rubbing alcohol. It kills the bacteria that causes you to stink. There is this 2 week process you do to really kill the bacteria and then after that you are pretty much scott-free to only use the alcohol about once a day. I just turned a friend onto it.
candycane_girl
I'd like to try getting a full Brazilian wax. I have a tendency to shave and then let it all grow back and then shave again but what bugs me with the shaving is that I can never get all the hair. However, I've heard that with waxing, if you're on birth control pills it can rip your skin off. Is this true or is it only for facial waxing? Also I have no idea where to go or how much I should expect to pay.
rubberdollz
QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Jul 24 2008, 04:40 PM) *
I'd like to try getting a full Brazilian wax. I have a tendency to shave and then let it all grow back and then shave again but what bugs me with the shaving is that I can never get all the hair. However, I've heard that with waxing, if you're on birth control pills it can rip your skin off. Is this true or is it only for facial waxing? Also I have no idea where to go or how much I should expect to pay.

Hi Candycane,

My sister does waxing and when I was on birth control I never had problems with my skin being pulled or ripped off. I got my eyebrows waxed about every 6 weeks or so and never had a problem. I don't know about getting a brazilian or anything but she never talked about their being a problem with birth control and waxing.
culturehandy
candycane girl, I'd go with sugaring instead of waxing.
candycane_girl
Thanks, ladies. CH, do salons do Brazilian sugaring? Also, how long does my hair have to be?
culturehandy
I get a brazilian done with my sugarer.

Hair has to be about a 1/4 of an inch long, same as with waxing. The reason I push sugaring is that it's all natural and doesn't hurt as much as waxing, the results are the same.
vesta
Forgot to add: SurgiWax also makes a great at-home Brazilian wax.

I've never done sugaring before but I have to say that I don't find the regular wax all that painful. It's worth a shot. However, it can get quite expensive. I pay $50 for a full Brazilian at a reputable salon.
vesta
Forgot to add: SurgiWax also makes a great at-home Brazilian wax.

I've never done sugaring before but I have to say that I don't find the regular wax all that painful. It's worth a shot. However, it can get quite expensive. I pay $50 for a full Brazilian at a reputable salon.
thirtiesgirl
Ok, here's my contribution: I'm a dark haired lady who shaves my pits and legs because, without it, my leg and pit hair is heavy and dark (at least to my eye). I just prefer a smooth presentation. That said, though, I don't and won't shave or wax the cooch, never never ever (I'm *really* not into pain). But I do trim the v-fro with scissors fairly regularly, although I never go for bald. I just feel more womanly with some hair down there and I like the way it looks. It creates a little mystery, and that's never a bad thing, imho.
candycane_girl
I just have one more question about getting a brazilian. Is it true that it's more painful depending on where you are in your cycle? This is the week before my period and I'd like to get it done in the next few days.
culturehandy
I've noticed sometimes my skin is just more sensitive, but doesn't have much to do with my cycle. at least that I've noticed.
sybarite
CCgirl, short answer, in my experience and that of my friends, is yes. The week just before your period is the worst--it's still do-able but it does make a difference.
Queen Bull
Question:

I prefer to have a clean shaven cooch. i cant stand hair anywhere except my head, and my FB doesnt mind either. the only problem is, with shaving, i can get it smooth, but i have really sensitive skin and course, curly hair, so i get pretty bumpy, so theres liek a time limit between when i shave and when the unveiling is. I, am ashamed to say, that I have taken to using veet. and i hate it. on the one hand, it provides much less bump than shaving, but im sure a baby seal dies with every squirt of it. its soo unhealthy. I need another alternative. I was wondering if waxing would cause it to get bumpy as well? or is there something i can do to avoid that? Im beginning to think perhaps its a lost cause and that i should just start trimming, but enh... so stubborn...

and i saw sugaring mentioned down there --*ooh shiny Whats that?*

TY ladies!
culturehandy
With sugaring and waxing you will get ingrown hairs, less than shaving. I get maybe one or two ingrowns with sugaring.

You'll still need to exfoliate or have a bath with sea salt, that makes the little fuckers pop out.
Queen Bull
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Aug 13 2008, 11:55 AM) *
With sugaring and waxing you will get ingrown hairs, less than shaving. I get maybe one or two ingrowns with sugaring.

You'll still need to exfoliate or have a bath with sea salt, that makes the little fuckers pop out.

ha. awesome. thanks for the tip. smile.gif
dayglowpink
I have heard that women are more sensitive to pain around the time their period. I've noticed this in myself, too.

I always got tons of ingrowns when I had my upper legs and bikini line waxed regularly. I think everyone's skin and hair are different. I don't have super curly or coarse hair. I guess it was just something about the way I responded to it. I would constantly pick them which made it worse, I'm sure.
culturehandy
exfoliate! Even get the gloves and give your legs the one over every few days. I swear it works. Even my sugarer noticed that I was getting less ingrowns.
damona
i was sitting out in the sun today, wearing a mid-calf length skirt, and my darling looks at my legs and goes "if you are gonna wear stockings when we go out on friday, you'd better shave those fuzzy things."

i responded with "well, i was gonna shave them, but i now i don't think i'm going to bother." just to hassle him.

and he proceeded to literally get on his knees and beg me to shave my legs. boys are just so weird. it's so fine and light that he never even noticed, for the last month, that i haven't shaved. but as soon as he noticed he was "grossed out". it's like how when you cut yourself, it doesn't hurt until you see the blood.
faerietails
Sorry, I have to crosspost something I put in the "overheard" thread since it's oh, so appropriate!:

I was at a diner this morning and this little girl was talking reaaaaally loudly:

"Mexican women have longlonglonglonglonglonglonglonglonglonglonglonglonglonglonglonglong hair in their armpits!"

The dad: "...well, not that long..."

I almost choked and burst out laughing. (And coincidentally, I'm pretty close to being that stereotype! hee! tongue.gif)
stargazer
eh, i fit that mold right now too. i've grown tired of shaving my pits and the bikini area. but, for some reason, i still have to shave below the knees. how's that for confusion. unsure.gif
rubberdollz
Ok Damona I totally understand where you are comning from on the leg shaving! I haven't shaved my thighs in about a month or two and my husband noticed a little while back and was like what the hell??!?!?! I told him that I'm not shaving my thighs anymore since it's a waste of my time and plus I don't wear anything that you see my thighs anyways. He was grossed out just because he could see the hair but seriously, my hair is blonde and light and you can barely see anything unless you are looking/paying attention.

Ugh.... I told him if he'd like to shave my thighs feel free but until that cold day in hell happens, I'll be leaving that area alone.
funk0039
Why do you feel the need to shave, Brazilian wax etc? I can understand that hairy legs can be unattractive, but if you're not a cavegirl(speaking as a man) I don't mind.

Be totally honest, as long as I can navigate down there I'm happy. Why would a man be unhappy with a woman who trims her hair down there or in her armpits as opposed to shaving it all off?

I tried shaving my pits a few times to reduce b.o., but I got a blocked pore which didn't want to unblock. Eventually I had it surgically removed. Whaen I asked where it came from, the doctor stated that women shave all the time and that's where it's from, so he said I had to shop shaving. I debated that internally, and then figured I could compromise by simply taking a scissors and trimming ye olde hair really short.

Is that an option? I even tried to shave my pubic hairs, but kept getting razorburn, so eventually I settled on simply clipping it short. I hate being really fuzzy down there; it makes me feel like an ape or something.

I'm just trying to be helpful, really, I stumbled upon this website just today. Whenever I discover somebody in a jam I want to help, I've been this way since I was old enough to walk. I don't intend any ill will. smile.gif
pepper
yay! a man who can accept that we grow hair too! excellent.
i am a total non-shaver right now. it's knee-sock-avec-skirt weather and i'm rocking that look. and i Never shave under my arms, i so seriously dislike the look of that skin bare, it ain't pretty at all. i trim it a bit and the bush too and i sometimes shave the bikini line (bathing suit, hot date) and from just above the knees down but i have gotten away with so little shaving in the past few years. my last man liked my body hair very much, he wanted me to leave it ALL just the way it was naturally and i got used to that. shaving is a bother, i avoid it unless i absolutely have to do it.
purplestain
A few months ago, I decided to stop shaving... however, being the lovely sasquatch that I am (coarse dark hair), there's no way I was going to dispense with body hair removal altogether. I am now a big proponent of waxing/sugaring over shaving. The cost is more, but not that much more, when you consider how much you spend on razors/shaving cream/TendSkin. The hair that grows back after waxing is noticeably softer and finer than the shave stubble, and it only gets nicer, to the point where many of you fairer ladies may not feel the need to continue waxing.

By now, the idea of going back to shaving is really off-putting. Too much day-to-day maintenance, especially for sensitive skin. Ex: I'd shave my legs to go to the pool, but then the chlorine would irritate the razor-burned parts and dry out the skin. Much better to wax the legs one night, rub 'em with some jojoba oil, go out the next day with no trouble.

Despite this, I still don't understand Brazilians. I'd liken it to nose hair: by all means trim it, but waxing seems extreme.
pepper
meh, i waxed for years and never saw any difference in hair. i think that is a myth actually, a terrific selling point but not true.
culturehandy
I'm not a fan of body hair on myself, but on men and women, I have no issues.

as for why I do the brazillian, I found that it enhances my sexuality. I've done full on, just partial, blah blah blah. My preference has been said brazillian. It makes sex better for me, I like feeling my labia and feel them getting wet, and slippery, and so forth.

my policy has been to each their own.

I've found with sugaring that the hair does grow back slower and softer, and in some places, it doesn't grow back at all. but only in a few places.
funk0039
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 11 2008, 10:27 PM) *
yay! a man who can accept that we grow hair too! excellent.

Thanks. I was worried that if I posted, you ladies would think I was planning something sinister. I've found that women seem really scared when a man pops up and gently says hello in a social setting. It's as if women are paranoid that all men, especially those with my build, are intending something nasty. That makes it really hard to meet women, you know? I can't just go to a bar and tell a woman I think she's beautiful, and I'd like to talk with her to find out what her personality is like.
pepper
well, generally we tend to respond best when dudes post in the general interest threads a bit and let us get to know ya before jumping in to the sex or personal threads, ya know? but you didn't say anything nasty so hey, hi there mister buster fella. see you around.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(funk0039 @ Sep 11 2008, 08:00 PM) *
Is that an option? I even tried to shave my pubic hairs, but kept getting razorburn, so eventually I settled on simply clipping it short. I hate being really fuzzy down there; it makes me feel like an ape or something.

I shave my pits, but clip the cooch for the exact reason you stated: razor burn. Plus, as I wrote below, I like to see a little hair down there on me, and on guys. It just makes me feel like a natural woman.
funk0039
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 12 2008, 06:49 PM) *
well, generally we tend to respond best when dudes post in the general interest threads a bit and let us get to know ya before jumping in to the sex or personal threads, ya know? but you didn't say anything nasty so hey, hi there mister buster fella. see you around.

Really? I had no idea I was being impolite. I haven't been on many forums before. Even worse, I didn't have a computer from 2000 until just a month or two ago, so I'm still learning about how things work. I didn't know forum etiquette. I can't imagine what I could write that would be nasty. Is it common for a man to do that online in a forum of this type? What's normal behavior?
pepper
oh no, you weren't being rude at all. but many busties have learned from experience to be cautious of male posters, especially if they post in one of the more risque threads as an introduction. we are a frank group of women here and as such a target for all kinds of perverted and/or religious wackos. there are regular troll attacks and have been quite a few disruptive incidences with boys-who-type-one-handed rolleyes.gif . but we have and have had many beloved "busters" over the years and welcome a male perspective when it is presented in a respectful and honouring way.

there are some threads that are useful for checking out when you're new, here is some basic site info, you can introduce yourself and tell a bit about you in the newbie thread, if you can't find a topic that you would like to post about you can check in at the community forum, we don't start new threads here very often, we try to post relevant comments in existing threads in an effort to keep the board easy to navigate. this actually works very well, no need to search archives as threads are very neatly listed etc. the community forum is also the place to ask any general questions.

so, welcome! see you around.
funk0039
[quote name='pepper' date='Sep 13 2008, 08:14 AM' post='214471']
oh no, you weren't being rude at all. but many busties have learned from experience to be cautious of male posters, especially if they post in one of the more risque threads as an introduction. we are a frank group of women here and as such a target for all kinds of perverted and/or religious wackos. there are regular troll attacks and have been quite a few disruptive incidences with boys-who-type-one-handed rolleyes.gif . "

Yuck! How the heck can you get turned on if you've never seen the other person and HOW pray tell are you ever going to get people to listen to you if you are prosteletyzing(spelling?) without encouragement? I don't get it. How is any of this logical behavior? I responded because it was a subject that I felt was important, and that the women on them seemed to need help.

"but we have and have had many beloved "busters" over the years and welcome a male perspective when it is presented in a respectful and honouring way."

Oh. This is how I always act. So, this isn't normal behavior for men?

"so, welcome! see you around."

Thanks for being a gracious host! What's normal behavior for men online? I'm trying to find out exactly how I'm different, because that will help me understand women better.
culturehandy
Funk, most men who come in here leer and make comments in the sex threads. Like if we talk about anal sex, some come in and say the stereotypical "hey bebe, want me to give you an ass fucking" or something creepy.

With that said, we have men who come in here regularly and contribute to the boards.
funk0039
First off, I find anything to do with anal disgusting, eewwwww! I know EXACTLY what goes on in the digestive tract and I want as little to do with that end of it as possible. I don't even like fart jokes, they lack class.

Second, why in God's name would any man behave that way? Do they honestly think they'd get something positive out of you? How could a man possibly benefit acting like that, (I don't get it, it's not logical behavior)?

3rd, I've decided to avoid posting much lately. I dunno what's going on, but there are people on this list who simply leave me appalled. You are NOT one of them, so don't worry. I don't intend to encourage any lack of civility at all.

thirtiesgirl
Hmm...well, the women who post here are generally pretty frank. Better to be open and honest and contribute to the discussions than not at all, I say.
pepper
check this out! laser it off at home. if this works i want it!
dayglowpink
I read about the at home lasers, and they sounded pretty good. Of course they came out after I had paid in advance for all my laser treatments. From what I read, it isn't as powerful and therefore takes a little longer than the professional ones, but the article said doing it at home was just as effective in the long run.
thirtiesgirl
For $200, I'd hope it would work as well as the medical laser treatments! The question is, though: can it be used on the face? (Not that I'm a bearded lady, but I kinda have the hairy face gene.)
purplestain
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 12 2008, 09:23 AM) *
meh, i waxed for years and never saw any difference in hair. i think that is a myth actually, a terrific selling point but not true.

Maybe it depends on your hair type; I, and other girls I know whose hair grew back finer after repeated waxings, had fairly thick, dark hair to begin with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.