Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109
mfc10
[quote name='NotCatEyed' date='Mar 29 2007, 04:16 PM' post='144604']
What about acid gel alone without antibiotics? I am going to look for the acid gel at walgreens today because I really need a cure before I take off for China in May. [quote}

Just a couple of notes on Aci-jel (the trade name for the acidic vaginal gel): I don't think it is very effective in treating a *current* BV infection, although I can't say it would be impossible. Last year, I did run across a study that was done using it alone, and as I recall it *did* seem to at least put a dent in the infection. But I am more inclined to advocate its use as a preventive measure. It's all about pH. If it is acidic enough, the bacteria involved in BV cannot thrive. Although it is possible for some species of Candida (yeast) to grow in an acidic environment, they will not flourish. So Aci-jel can help prevent BOTH BV and yeast infection.
I believe that although Walgreen's can readily obtain Aci-jel, it is not over-the-counter, and will require a prescription. If you read a previous post by Eralc Alegna, she said: "The Wal-Greens website, however, lets you request a prescription online. All I did was put in my doctor's contact info and they called her to get a script. I did it yesterday and picked it up today."

I hope this indeed helps you prevent future infections....it is really good for maintenance once you get an active infection under control.

Cheers!
Maggie C.
jewelscando
Well ladies, I got 2 months out of using Flagyl vaginally. Had sex last weekend, and I started smelling something last night. I broke up 2 (200 mg) of Flagyl and put it in a Gel Cap, and it worked. The smell is gone tonight.

I haven't however used anything else as preventative, however, looks as though I might get a prescription of the Aci-jel that you all are talking about.

I plan on going to the doctor to get something to help me quit smoking. I hear there's a prescription you can now get that will help me quit smoking. So, maybe once I do that, I can fully get rid of this.

Also, I think another problem was, I'm not sure my boyfriend showered before I went over there, and I did oral on him before we had sex. Obviously, I know that's a no-no, but, it had been a long time, and I just went stupid crazy.

I think this is why the B.V. came back, but, I now have a "Temporary" cure, that I think, along with preventative, might be it for me.

Anyways, just wanted to give an update.

SASSY, ARE YOU STILL AROUND??
anitsirhc
hello ladies. my bv is back completely. i was doing the hp for a while and it was making it not so bad, but since it didn't work completely i got discouraged and stopped and so yeah now it's really bad. so i'm probably gonna go to my doctor and get some flagyl, but i have a question. jewels i remember you said the 500mg might be too much, so i was thinking if you just cut the 500mg pill in half that could work and just be 250mg right? i know it's a kind of a dumb question but i figured i'd ask. i'll let you know what happens when i go to the doctor and after i put the flagyl in.

vaginas suck!!!!
miserywithcompany
Hello ladies. I'm not very happy to be here because of how my body feels, but mentally I'm thrilled at finding others who "understand."

I thought I'd already found and read everything on the subject until finding these posts on this site tonight.

I was diagnosed about 7 years ago with BV. Have been medically treated by many different health professional more times than I can count both orally and vaginally. Have taken acidophilus supplements orally and vaginally. Have tried yogurt both ways. Have tried letting my body regulate itself at a doctors suggestion after treating and re-treating for four years. They said clearly they didn't know what else to do and gave up on it. Said the only hope was that my body could work it out. That was 3 years ago. It's comes and goes at its own free will and has really helped ruin my sexual desire. I have been with the same partner for this entire time.

I've read back about 30 pages and have a few things I'd like to share.

In my experience with this cursed bv I've found:

I've had greater success, less side effects and faster relief with the cream suppository medications.
The vaginal prescription meds clear it up for about 4-8 weeks before it comes back.

No metallic taste in my mouth or diarehha like with the oral med's. Yes I'm blessed with those nasty side effects from the oral stuff. Oh and if I want to I can have alcohol if I'm using the creams or suppositories unlike with the oral where you get violently ill if you even eat foods or use mouthwash with alcohol in it.

This is what happened to me and maybe others?? 3 years ago when I took that last round of oral med. (the flagly generic)
I thought I'd gotten the mother load of all yeast infections. Once again- I treated myself for yeast with monistat and it got SO much worse I had to go back to the doctor again because of the pain and irritation. Pay attention because here is where things get weird. They "looked" they "thought" it was a yeast infection. ALL symtoms pointed to a yeast infection (from the antibiotic) except when they looked at it under a scope after taking a speculum of "cottage cheese" out of me, it was determined it was NOT YEAST but an overabundance of white blood cells. They said there was ZERO bacteria in there. Thats when I was told "they have never seen anything like this" and "we just don't know" and "give it 6 month of doing nothing at all to let your body try healing on its own."

I've allowed my body 3 years to heal.
Fast forward 3 years to last week.

Once again, I went to the doctor because of this. It's been acting up with vengance lately. ..the disgusting smell, uncomfortable intercourse, dryness or drippy-ness, itchy, the lower back ache, the constant feeling of pressure in the abdomen and overall sluggish feeling, did I mention sometimes bleeding slightly between peroids or after sex? none of this has gone away in 3 years. Right now I'm lucky enough to be experiencing most of these all at once.Thought I'd try again with a new doctor. So here I am 3 days after finishing the oral flagyl. Once again I'm a dryed out vagina thats getting more raw every day because of the clumpy cottage cheese like white blood cell abundance. It hurts the same as a yeast infection. Raw and painful. I'm taking sitz baths and cramming florajen3 capsules up there. Why can't the medical profession figure this thing out already?

I tell you all right now that there has to be an anwser to have the proper equillbrium. There has to be an answer to the problem. What you are experiencing may not be yeast. Next time you "think" you have another yeast infection ask your doctor to examine the "yeast" and see if its an over abundance of white blood cells mimicking a yeast infection. Maybe we can point the medical field in the right direction toward finding a real cure.
Either too much bacteria or none. ??? I swear I just can't take it anymore.
neverending
Miserywithcompany: I'm sorry hun! sad.gif
mfc10
Miserywithcompany: I feel for you! I had a similar experience after using vaginal Metrogel (vaginal Flagyl). Worst yeast infection ever. My regular gyn was out of town & I had to go to an older female gyn who is supposed to be really good. well, she did a swab, ran it under a microscope & said she saw NO INFECTION. I was in agony--awful burning--so I insisted on an appointment with my regular gyn as soon as he returned later that week. He was an EXPERT with the microscope (unfortunately, he died this past summer!!) and he said not only did I have a yeast infection, but BV as well. Some docs simply are very bad at interpreting what they see under the microscope. (If I were you, I'd get another opinion ASAP.) What helped get rid of both infections at once was using boric acid in geletin capsules vaginally. I hated the thought of putting something acidic in an already-inflamed vagina, but it really didn't make the burning worse. There is watery discharge when using boric acid, so wear a pantyliner. I just used one every night for 7 nights (some use for 14 nights). I took oral acidophilis, yogurt, kefir, etc. at the same time, since boric acid also kills the good bacteria in the vaginal lining. By the way---yeast infections are not caused by bacteria--they are caused by several possible species of Candida. Over-the-counter yeast treatments are effective only against the most-common species, i.e., Candida albicans. If your infection is caused by Candida glabrata, Candida tropicalis, etc. those creams won't work. Easily-obtainable treatments that WILL work against those are boric acid, tea tree oil (I like the vegetable oil-based suppositories that can be purchased online or at most healthfood stores), and, believe it or not, the old-fashioned prescription remedy, Nystatin (my gyn prescribed the vaginal Nystatin ovules for me one other time).

Hope this helps!
maggie c.
jewelscando
Yes, I would assume cutting it in half would be the same. The 500mg was to much because I used it for 3 days. So, in actuality, that was 1500MG. I also have 200mg's and I cut 2 of those up, and put them in a gel cap. The only issue I saw with that, is it came back out the next morning in chunks, like it didn't really dissolve. I did use 1 500mg's the next night and now my symptoms are completely gone. And so far, no yeast infection. My other issue was I was having sex during the time I used the 3 500mg's which was stupid on my part. I'm sure that's why I got the yeast infection from hell.

With the using the vaginal Flagyl, give it time to work. The smell will still be there the next morning, and possibly the second day as well. GIVE IT A FEW DAYS, before inserting another one. I probably didn't even need to use the 500 the other day, but I was getting inpatient. I would try 1 dose of the Flagyl, then wait a couple of days, just to see how your body reacts. Then, if it's still there, try 1 more. After the smell is gone, use preventative as well. I didn't, and mine was gone for 2 months, but, I wasn't having alot of sex either, (Maybe twice in those two months). So, if you are pretty active, use something like Aci-jel or something as preventative.

GOOD LUCK!! Let us know how it works!!
pianogirl
Hi Ladies,

I am sorry for some of you that arent having any luck sad.gif

As for me I am still clear after using estroil. I dont take it everyday just 2 x per week for maintenance. In terms of my sexual drive, it is not that great I guess because it is hard to believe that the relief is for good.

Thanks
persona36
Wellp, I'm doing well just with hp and acidophilus. Just started my period, lets hope for the best, this is getting old, 4 years of hell!
anitsirhc
well tomorrow i was supposed to go to the doctor so they can test me for bv (i know i have it) and get some flagyl and then put it in vaginally, so that i wouldn't have to buy it online. but, of course for the 4th month in a row i'm bleeding in between my period so now they won't be able to check anything. i really hate this so much. why can we just be normal and bleed when we're supposed to bleed and have normal body parts that don't get infected over and over again. it's bad enough we have to bleed every month! sad.gif this is starting to depress me again.
pianogirl
QUOTE(anitsirhc @ Apr 1 2007, 04:51 PM) *
well tomorrow i was supposed to go to the doctor so they can test me for bv (i know i have it) and get some flagyl and then put it in vaginally, so that i wouldn't have to buy it online. but, of course for the 4th month in a row i'm bleeding in between my period so now they won't be able to check anything. i really hate this so much. why can we just be normal and bleed when we're supposed to bleed and have normal body parts that don't get infected over and over again. it's bad enough we have to bleed every month! sad.gif this is starting to depress me again.

I have a question: Are you on birth control? I was on seasonale when this problem started and since you mentioned bleeding I was curious.
anitsirhc
pianogirl, yes i am on birth control. i was on yaz when it started but i switched after the 2nd month of bleeding in between, now i'm on ortho tri cyclen lo. it's my 2nd month on it so they keep telling me to wait at least 3 months cause my body is adjusting. and then if it doesn't stop she said she'll put me on something stronger. but i don't know if i want to... i feel like if my body is doing this it's telling me to stop what i'm doing and leave it alone. i wish our body parts could talk to us hahaha. did you switch birth controls or did you stop taking it all together? or how did you get it to stop...??

i went to the doctor today and she couldn't test me for the bv because of the bleeding but i told her i know what the discharge is like when i have the bv because i've been dealing with it for 9 months now (wow i just realized how long...) so she gave me flagyl (metronidazole however you spell it) and i'm going to insert the pill tonight! i'm kind of excited, i really hope this works. i'll update on here tomorrow or the day after. wish me luck!!!
anitsirhc
oh by the way, i'm trying to think of what to use just as a preventative after i use the flagyl, i'm thinking of rephresh... is that something worth trying??
BubbaLove
Hey everyone..

I've had the "bad smell" for a while before I scrounged up enough courage to go to the doctor.. and I indeed have BV. I was given the one dose treatment of Clindesse.. used it Thursday and all is well.

Here is what I am concerned aboout.. I stilll have some residue from the cream inside me.. should I try to get it out or just let it come out on its own?

Also (this is kind of embarrassing ha) I have a few sex toys that I used when I had BV.. should I throw them away to prevent it from coming back? Or is there a certain way I should clean them to get rid of any bacteria? They were expensive.. I would hate to get rid of them..

Any help would be appreciated. huh.gif
bvgirl
Hello ladies. I am new to this board and I have spent about two hours reading your responses regarding this bothersome BV. I am 35 and I have been dealing with BV off and on since I was about 25 sad.gif . I have been prescribed all the meds and the vaginal meds and they only work for months at a time or as soon as I finish them it is back mad.gif . I am just so digusted. I must point out a few things before I continue. I changed my diet as far as drinking lots of water,no juices,no red meat,very little sugar and lots of protein. I have to say that even though I am still dealing with the smell of BV the smell is not as strong like it used to be when I did not drink enough water. Also, I stopped using sopa on my kitty and only use a vaginal wash(summers eve) but I was on this website that sells PH vaginal wash and other products http://www.sweetspotlabs.com/
and although it does not relieve us on this BV it claims to keep the vaginal PH level balanced when washing. I just thought I shjare it with you all if you have not been on the site before. Well, getting back to my story I have been using deodorant pads everyday for two years straight because the fishy smell was so bad that you could smell it thorugh my clothes and it was the only way to mask the smell. My boyfriend at the time was delaing with the awful smell too and was understanding about it but it makes you feel less than a woman. We all want to smell good for our man and especially during sex we dont want to offend. So it has taken a toll on my confidence. Now that I am in a new relationship *my boyfriend is overseas in Iraq and will not be home until October) I want to get this problem resolved meaning even if I have to use what needs to be used to get rid of the smell for the rest of my lilfe. I am sick of the smell. So I have been reading your responses and I have to say that you all represent beautiful women who have come together to try to solve or get some relief from this terrible BV. I have been reading the responses and answers from JEWELSCANDO and I must say that you are so so very kind and helpful. I have just finished the second prescription of that ever popular metor gel that my doctor just recently prescribed and of course it is back again. I also have been taking acidophilus and I just recently read that I should take the primadophilus because of the enteric coat and so I am doing all that I can to get this under control. I have a slight grayish brownish discharge from time to time but the smell just really I cannot take. I am going out tomorrow to purchase the primadophilus and I was curious to know about the Boric acid. I called wlagreens and two of the locations said that I needed a prescription from my doctor. They seemed baffled about what I asked for. I even called my doctor and left a message to call in or talk to me about Boric acid he knows very well that I have been dealing with this problem too long and I guess since he cannot make his pockets or the pharmacetical companies rich well why should he talk to me about Boric Acid. So I will keep on him on that but in the mean time I will go to Walmart and see what they have. I just wanted to get all the information I could regarding Boric Acid and how to use it safely. I also read somewhere on here about Yeast Arrest http://www.taoofherbs.com/products/308/Vit...YeastArrest.htm does anyone know if this is worth taking? It says that it has 600 mg of Boric Acid and so is it just as potent as Boric Acid? I still wanted to se what my doctor thinks about Boric Acid especially if it is working for so many of you. I am glad that I came across this site because I did not realize how many other women have the same problem month after month after month. It kind of makes me feel better but what would really make me feel beter is if I can get this under control, get on some type of maintainance program like with the primadophilus and the boric acid and or the yeast arrest. I am going to make the steps in order to have confidence in general and especially during sex. Also, I read that someonw was experiencing an ammonia type smell and I have to say that from time to time I have that smell but not like I use to since I have been drinking more water and watching my diet.
Here is the website where I plan to purchase the primadophilus http://www.homeherb.com/productdetail.asp?pid=21507.
Well, I would appreciate any and all kinds of feedback you would like to offer me concerning any and all aspects of BV and Boric Acid and or Yeast Arrest. I will pass on any information that I come across regarding BV. So that means I am going to make this my new home. I will be a regular. Thank you in advance for any and all information you provide and share.
Talk to you very soon.
BVGIRL
anitsirhc
ok i just put the flagyl in! honestly, i'm kind of nervous. right before i went to put it in i thought, "oh my god i have to go read the board again and make sure this is what they did and that i'm not putting the wrong pill in." hahaha but then i calmed down and did it. so we'll see what happens. i also just took 3 acidophilus pills, a multivitamin, a garlic pill and vitamin c. i thought i would take every supplement i have in the house that is good for the girl parts to try and help the process and also keep the yeast away.

bvgirl... i just thought i'd let you know that i've heard/read in more than one place that the vaginal washes are actually bad to use, or at least the summer's eve ones, i don't know about the others. i was using the summer's eve one and my doctor told me to stop using it. i think it's the same thing with deodorant liners too (i used to use those too.) i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure you shouldn't use those especially if you have a problem with bv. not that anything changed after i stopped using them dry.gif

the only thing i know about the boric acid (from reading other people's experiences on here) is that it's only temporary and that you have to keep using it to keep the bv away. i didn't use it myself though. i'm sure someone else on here who knows more will give you more info.

alright i'll write more tomorrow or the day after about my progress. goodnight! wink.gif
pianogirl
QUOTE(anitsirhc @ Apr 2 2007, 05:10 PM) *
pianogirl, yes i am on birth control. i was on yaz when it started but i switched after the 2nd month of bleeding in between, now i'm on ortho tri cyclen lo. it's my 2nd month on it so they keep telling me to wait at least 3 months cause my body is adjusting. and then if it doesn't stop she said she'll put me on something stronger. but i don't know if i want to... i feel like if my body is doing this it's telling me to stop what i'm doing and leave it alone. i wish our body parts could talk to us hahaha. did you switch birth controls or did you stop taking it all together? or how did you get it to stop...??

i went to the doctor today and she couldn't test me for the bv because of the bleeding but i told her i know what the discharge is like when i have the bv because i've been dealing with it for 9 months now (wow i just realized how long...) so she gave me flagyl (metronidazole however you spell it) and i'm going to insert the pill tonight! i'm kind of excited, i really hope this works. i'll update on here tomorrow or the day after. wish me luck!!!

Hey I actually stopped taking BC pills because of the nonstop bleeding. I had the smell problem for over a year and a half before I found relief from the estroil. I also didnt have a smell problem until I started BC pills. I personally dont think I will ever take them again. mellow.gif
pianogirl
QUOTE(BubbaLove @ Apr 2 2007, 08:42 PM) *
Hey everyone..

I've had the "bad smell" for a while before I scrounged up enough courage to go to the doctor.. and I indeed have BV. I was given the one dose treatment of Clindesse.. used it Thursday and all is well.

Here is what I am concerned aboout.. I stilll have some residue from the cream inside me.. should I try to get it out or just let it come out on its own?

Also (this is kind of embarrassing ha) I have a few sex toys that I used when I had BV.. should I throw them away to prevent it from coming back? Or is there a certain way I should clean them to get rid of any bacteria? They were expensive.. I would hate to get rid of them..

Any help would be appreciated. huh.gif

Welcome Newbies!

Most of the time the BV will come back after you use Clindesse, I dont suggest you try to clean out the residue from the medicine, let it come out naturally. I had toys too that I ended up throwing out and getting new ones needless to say this was a few months ago and the BV ended up coming back so I probably had some bacteria while using the new ones. Anyway I purchased a cleanser from the "toy store" and all is well. I havent had a bad smell in about 3 months and have used the same toys. I suggest you get a good cleaner and run them through hot water. I dont think you should throw them out but the BV will most likely return as it has for many of us who took clindesse. You should try the flagyll vaginally or the estroil, those seem to be the most promising treatment options.

neverending
I also never had problems until I was put on birth control. I got rid of the bv by using the estroil. I had bv for I think 5yrs.
jewelscando
I never had problems until my Hysterectomy. HAHAHAHA, I guess you could call that Birth Controll!!!
minayun
QUOTE(minayun @ Mar 19 2007, 02:28 AM) *
Hello, i was just told friday that I have BV. I ended up going to the emergency room because I was in a great deal of pain. My clinic had thought maybe i had a bladder infection and prescribed antibiotics for that, about three weeks ago, but the symptoms never went away. Earlier during the week i had tried an over the counter yeast infection treatment but didn't work either. So, now that I know what it is, they have put me on Flaygl for seven days. I was wondering, for those who have been on flagyl, how long it usually takes to start feeling better? The doctor had said about 48 hours but i'm not feeling any better yet. Just very, very nauseated from the pills. Also i read something about Tetrasil and just ordered a jar of it from ebay. Does anyone know if it can actually be put "inside" the vagina? I see alot of you have had long term battles with this, i just hope mine goes away. Anything you can tell me would be really helpful and hopeful. I've had the pain and burning for a couple of months. Now that i found out what i have and have medicine I am feeling a little anxious because I'm not feeling better yet
=(

Hello ladies! I'm back again and i'm still not any better! I ended up going to my clinic because i finished up my treatment with Flagyl and still didn't get better. Since I got so sick with the flagyl this time they gave me Cleocin to take for one week and doxycycline to take for two weeks. It's been a week with both and i am not feeling any better at all. Still having the vaginal pain and burning and my abdomen, pelvic area and lower back hurts really bad. Shouldn't I be feeling somewhat better by now? I'm calling my doctor's office tomorrow to get another appointment but what they can do for me, i have no idea. Anyone have any advice for me? I'm starting to feel really depressed about this whole thing. Has anyone heard of V-Gel and if it works?? I'm willing to try anything right now.
Thanks...
mfc10
QUOTE(minayun @ Apr 4 2007, 08:59 PM) *
It's been a week with both and i am not feeling any better at all. Still having the vaginal pain and burning and my abdomen, pelvic area and lower back hurts really bad. Shouldn't I be feeling somewhat better by now?
Thanks...

Awhile back, I wrote the following to another poster here who was diagnosed with BV, but was still having burning/pain vaginally. Perhaps due to the fact you have been on antibiotics quite a bit lately, you may have gotten a yeast infection as well. Just because an over-the-counter anti-yeast cream didn't work, doesn't mean you don't have one. Worth thinking about, since BV rarely causes burning/pain. My post was as follows:

My regular gyn was out of town & I had to go to an older female gyn who is supposed to be really good. Well, she did a vaginal swab, ran it under a microscope & said she saw NO INFECTION. I was in agony--awful burning--so I insisted on an appointment with my regular gyn as soon as he returned later that week. He was an EXPERT with the microscope (unfortunately, he died this past summer!!) and he said not only did I have a yeast infection, but BV as well. Some docs simply are very bad at interpreting what they see under the microscope. What helped get rid of both infections at once was using boric acid in geletin capsules vaginally. I hated the thought of putting something acidic in an already-inflamed vagina, but it really didn't make the burning worse. There is watery discharge when using boric acid, so wear a pantyliner. I just used one every night for 7 nights (some use for 14 nights). I took oral acidophilis, yogurt, kefir, etc. at the same time, since boric acid also kills the good bacteria in the vaginal lining. By the way---yeast infections are not caused by bacteria--they are caused by several possible species of Candida. Over-the-counter yeast treatments are effective only against the most-common species, i.e., Candida albicans. If your infection is caused by Candida glabrata, Candida tropicalis, etc. those creams won't work. Easily-obtainable treatments that WILL work against those are boric acid, tea tree oil (I like the vegetable oil-based suppositories that can be purchased online or at most healthfood stores), and, believe it or not, the old-fashioned prescription remedy, Nystatin (my gyn prescribed the vaginal Nystatin ovules for me one other time).

Hope this helps!
maggie c.
anitsirhc
ok so i inserted the flagyl 2 nights ago. i think i'm better but i'm not really sure. i'm still bleeding (not time for me to have my period of course), but now it seems more like just blood instead of blood and discharge.

whenever i had bv i never felt like i, myself smelled, it was the discharge that smelled. so, it's kind of gross, but i've been smelling my panty liners to see if the smell is gone. i think it's still there a little bit. so i am going to put another pill in tonight.

i don't think i have a yeast infection, i've been taking a lot of acidophilus so i think that is keeping that away. yesterday i did get the powdery discharge that other people talked about, but it only lasted for a day.

so what i think i'm going to do is put another one in tonight. and i'll probably still be bleeding when it's time for my normal period to come (which is next week) so then i will wait till after my period to see how i am. i feel a lot dryer than before. so i think it is working. smile.gif i'll keep updating.

oh and again, what are your opinions on rephresh as a preventative? thanks biggrin.gif
minayun
Thank you for replying. Can you please tell me where i can buy the boric acid, i looked on ebay, where i buy everything and didn't see anything about the capsules, just powder and i saw some acidophilis pills on there but wasn't sure which ones to get, the ones they on there say they are for your digestive system? THere are some that say Acidophilus Pearls Enzymatic and some that say Mega Probiotic Acidophilus 90 Capsules VItamins. Can you please tell me which one of those to buy and please tell me about the boric acid. Thanks

QUOTE(mfc10 @ Apr 4 2007, 09:43 PM) *
Awhile back, I wrote the following to another poster here who was diagnosed with BV, but was still having burning/pain vaginally. Perhaps due to the fact you have been on antibiotics quite a bit lately, you may have gotten a yeast infection as well. Just because an over-the-counter anti-yeast cream didn't work, doesn't mean you don't have one. Worth thinking about, since BV rarely causes burning/pain. My post was as follows:

My regular gyn was out of town & I had to go to an older female gyn who is supposed to be really good. Well, she did a vaginal swab, ran it under a microscope & said she saw NO INFECTION. I was in agony--awful burning--so I insisted on an appointment with my regular gyn as soon as he returned later that week. He was an EXPERT with the microscope (unfortunately, he died this past summer!!) and he said not only did I have a yeast infection, but BV as well. Some docs simply are very bad at interpreting what they see under the microscope. What helped get rid of both infections at once was using boric acid in geletin capsules vaginally. I hated the thought of putting something acidic in an already-inflamed vagina, but it really didn't make the burning worse. There is watery discharge when using boric acid, so wear a pantyliner. I just used one every night for 7 nights (some use for 14 nights). I took oral acidophilis, yogurt, kefir, etc. at the same time, since boric acid also kills the good bacteria in the vaginal lining. By the way---yeast infections are not caused by bacteria--they are caused by several possible species of Candida. Over-the-counter yeast treatments are effective only against the most-common species, i.e., Candida albicans. If your infection is caused by Candida glabrata, Candida tropicalis, etc. those creams won't work. Easily-obtainable treatments that WILL work against those are boric acid, tea tree oil (I like the vegetable oil-based suppositories that can be purchased online or at most healthfood stores), and, believe it or not, the old-fashioned prescription remedy, Nystatin (my gyn prescribed the vaginal Nystatin ovules for me one other time).

Hope this helps!
maggie c.

wonderdog
QUOTE(minayun @ Apr 4 2007, 09:59 PM) *
Hello ladies! I'm back again and i'm still not any better! I ended up going to my clinic because i finished up my treatment with Flagyl and still didn't get better. Since I got so sick with the flagyl this time they gave me Cleocin to take for one week and doxycycline to take for two weeks. It's been a week with both and i am not feeling any better at all. Still having the vaginal pain and burning and my abdomen, pelvic area and lower back hurts really bad. Shouldn't I be feeling somewhat better by now? I'm calling my doctor's office tomorrow to get another appointment but what they can do for me, i have no idea. Anyone have any advice for me? I'm starting to feel really depressed about this whole thing. Has anyone heard of V-Gel and if it works?? I'm willing to try anything right now.
Thanks...

By saying V-Gel do you mean metro gel? If so stay away from it. It gave me the worst yeast infection of my life. I still have it 3 months later? And the BV never went away.
mfc10
QUOTE(minayun @ Apr 5 2007, 12:22 AM) *
Thank you for replying. Can you please tell me where i can buy the boric acid, i looked on ebay, where i buy everything and didn't see anything about the capsules, just powder and i saw some acidophilis pills on there but wasn't sure which ones to get, the ones they on there say they are for your digestive system? THere are some that say Acidophilus Pearls Enzymatic and some that say Mega Probiotic Acidophilus 90 Capsules VItamins. Can you please tell me which one of those to buy and please tell me about the boric acid. Thanks

Hi--The easiest thing to do is to go to a local pharmacy, Walmart maybe, etc. and look for a jar of boric acid powder. (Or ask the pharmacist). Then go to a healthfood store or co-op & look for empty geletin capsules. Gently open the capsules and fill with the boric acid powder. (I use the capsule halves like a "scoop" in the powder to fill them.) Make up several capsules & keep in a baggie. WASH YOUR HANDS WHEN FINISHED & don't put your fingers in your mouth when they have been in contact with the boric acid--it is very poisonous. (Label the baggie containing your made-up capsules so you won't mistake them for an oral drug!!) I inserted one at bedtime. You can coat the capsule with a bit of water-soluble lubricant to ease insertion. Wear a pantyliner. I also smeared a little vaseline on the surrounding vulva skin so the discharge that comes out after the capsule melts wouldn't burn the area.) I did this every night for a week or so. (Some advocate using it for 2 weeks, but I didn't really need to.) IF YOU HAVE ANY OPEN CUTS/WOUNDS IN THE VAGINA, DON'T USE BORIC ACID.

Since boric acid kills off some of the good bacteria as well, you should replenish it. I personally like Garden of Life's Primal Defense. It IS expensive--like $24 for the smaller bottle, but I just take one per day, although the bottle says you can take 3 or so per day. Most any acidophilus-based probiotic (there are many different strains) that is advertised for digestive health would work well for vaginal concerns. (Did you ever see the depiction somewhere on a medical Web site showing how the good bacteria litterally treks from your anal area (where it has travelled through the digestive system & made its way out) into the vagina? Amazing!

If you have a compounding pharmacy in your area (different from a regular pharmacy), you could ask your doctor to give you a prescription for boric acid capsules and the compounding pharmacy will make them up. I was lucky enough to be able to go this route. The compounding pharmacist filled the capsules 3/4 with boric acid and 1/4 with acidophilus powder, to help increase the population of good bacteria in my vagina.
(I still took oral probiotics, as a precaution.) It's more expensive to do it via that route, though.

Anyway--got to go teach my chemistry class in a minute, so hope this helps!
Best wishes!
Maggie C.
jewelscando
QUOTE(anitsirhc @ Apr 5 2007, 05:13 AM) *
ok so i inserted the flagyl 2 nights ago. i think i'm better but i'm not really sure. i'm still bleeding (not time for me to have my period of course), but now it seems more like just blood instead of blood and discharge.

whenever i had bv i never felt like i, myself smelled, it was the discharge that smelled. so, it's kind of gross, but i've been smelling my panty liners to see if the smell is gone. i think it's still there a little bit. so i am going to put another pill in tonight.

i don't think i have a yeast infection, i've been taking a lot of acidophilus so i think that is keeping that away. yesterday i did get the powdery discharge that other people talked about, but it only lasted for a day.

so what i think i'm going to do is put another one in tonight. and i'll probably still be bleeding when it's time for my normal period to come (which is next week) so then i will wait till after my period to see how i am. i feel a lot dryer than before. so i think it is working. smile.gif i'll keep updating.

oh and again, what are your opinions on rephresh as a preventative? thanks biggrin.gif

DON'T DO IT!!!! Just wait a couple of days, give it a chance to work. Like I said before, I didn't need 3, I was just impatient. I took 1 200mg then 1 500mg and mine is gone again. What strength are you using??? FLAGYL vaginal, is not like "Magic", you need to give it a few days to take it's course.

Thanks for the update!!!
deprime
Jewels -- Has your BV/smell been completely gone since your first time inserting Flagyl vaginally?

I just inserted my first 500mg tablet.... we'll see!

I saw a nurse midwife today who was incredibly helpful -- she encouraged me to get to know myself and what I respond to; thus she condoned the vaginal insertion of Flagyl! Very exciting. She also recommended that I buy The V Book. Has anyone read it and/or ascertained interesting information from it?
jewelscando
QUOTE(deprime @ Apr 6 2007, 03:23 AM) *
Jewels -- Has your BV/smell been completely gone since your first time inserting Flagyl vaginally?

I just inserted my first 500mg tablet.... we'll see!
I saw a nurse midwife today who was incredibly helpful -- she encouraged me to get to know myself and what I respond to; thus she condoned the vaginal insertion of Flagyl! Very exciting. She also recommended that I buy The V Book. Has anyone read it and/or ascertained interesting information from it?

No, if you read down, I mentioned last week, that I had sex, and I don't think my boyfriend showered, PLUS, and I was stupid and did oral on him before we had sex, which WAS DUMB AS HELL, I KNOW!! I haven't used any preventative. This time around, I'm using Achidophillus every day, and the smell is gone again.

IF ANYTHING, It was gone for 2 months. That's the longest I've gone in years. So, if I only have to do this every two or three months, I'm happy with that.

Also, I smoke, which I know I need to quit, and I'm thinking I will probably get more time out of it as well if I do quit.

I really need to try the Estroil, or whatever it is. I had a hysterectomy, (Partial) which means I only have my ovaries left, and my problem may be hormonal as well.

GOOD LUCK!! Please keep me posted, and remember, don't have sex for a few days. UNLESS YOU WANT A YEAST INFECTION FROM HELL!! wink.gif
bvgirl
Hello ladies. I just wanted to let you know how I was doing with the beginning stages of getting this bv under control. I went to a local health food store and talked with the owner and she told me that "yeast arrest" is a good product and that I should try it. She also told me that it was formulated by a woman(Dr. Tori Hudson)and she only creates products specifically for our needs and problems. So I purchased one container. The directions on the container says to insert one suppository a night and in the morning. One suppository contains 600 mg of Boric Acid. So you will have a total of 1200 mg of Boric Acid with each application of twice a day. It also contains Oregon grape root and Canlendula flowers.The information and directions inside gives you a list of how to treat when it is a chronic problem and also to use it as a preventative. So I used it and after one day I have NO SMELL AT ALL.... smile.gif
I was so amazed. Even though I may have to use it to prevent bv it still gives me the relief of not having to smell the bv. So I went back the next day and purchased two more(because one container has 14 suppositories and that is only a weeks supply). The cost was $11.00 a container. Kind of expensive but to me it is God sent because at least I can have some kind of relief. I also purchased Natures Way "Primadophilus Bifidus" enteric-coated. It was in the refrigerated section of the health food store. It must be kept refrigerated. It was $21.00. I will be checking into other supplements and anything else that will help me with this bv. This will be an ongoing project. Talk to you later
klee
Hi ladies!

There's a lot of changes around here...new format, new people, AND it seems like people are doing better than 6 months ago. Hurray change!!

I just wanted to check in and say that I'm basically all good. Right after my period ends, I do a hydrogen peroxide "soak." Use a funnel and just keep all the stuff in there by tilting my hips way up. I don't measure out how much I use, just pour it out of the bottle until the funnel runs over. I used to try to do this 3 days in a row for 3 minutes at a time but now I just do it once which seems to be enough. I don't have any problems through the month - and I've noticed my minimal discharge now has the typical consistency according to where I am in my cycle.

I cut down on smoking dramatically and I'm pretty close to cutting it off altogether. I will have a few cigarettes when I'm out on the weekends but this probably means I smoke about 5 in all a week. This has been about 5 weeks now...I honestly think it helps and I feel better in general.

Take care everyone!
pianogirl
Hello Ladies,

I just wanted to stop in and say that I am still clear. I am actually finishing up my period and have no smell. The estroil seems to be what "cured" me.

I hope everyone here finds their cure to this horrible problem.

Thank you neverending for suggesting this treatment!
anitsirhc
ahhhh jewels, i didn't read your response till after i put in another one! thanks for the warning though. i won't put any more in at all, my period is next week so hopefully after my period it won't be back. but so far i still feel good, no yeast infection signs, i think the acidophilus is keeping that away. i'll update again, thanks for your help and advice. smile.gif
neverending
pianogirl: I'm so happy for you! laugh.gif

persona36
very awesome pg i have been toying with some new mixes and i feel i am getting better!
anitsirhc
just an update: i inserted one 500mg flagyl on monday and one on wednesday. so far i do not feel like i have a yeast infection and today for the first time i don't smell anything! i hope it stays like this. i've been taking a little extra acidophilus (bottle says to take 2 a day i've been taking 3.) so hopefully this worked.
deprime
I inserted two pills: one on Thursday night, and one on Friday night.

Thus far... no smell. I think I had a little discharge today, but maybe that's just normal for me? But NO SMELL FOR THE FIRST TIME IN NEARLY FIVE YEARS!

I really hope that this works long-term. *fingers crossed*
bvgirl
Hello ladies, I just wanted to stop by and tell you all that the "yeast arrest" http://www.taoofherbs.com/products/308/Vit...YeastArrest.htm
has been working great. rolleyes.gif No smell and it has been 6 days since I started it. NO SMELL AT ALL OR DISCHARGE laugh.gif laugh.gif
What I plan to do is use it twice a day for another week and then I read somewhere that when I am on my menstrual to use one at night throughout my cycle. Then every month for 4-5 months when I am on my menstrual to use it at night. So this is what I will do. Also, continue taking the primadophilus and also continue researching other products. Hopefully, this will continue to go great. If the smell comes back well I will just have to use the yeast arrest more often until I get my ph under control. It seems like this will be a task but as long as I am getting results then it makes dealing with chronic bv better . I will be around. Good Luck to all you ladies. I will update you all...
GOD BLESS laugh.gif
Eralc Alegna
I'm so happy for everyone getting results with the vaginal flagyl and whatever else is working for you ladies!! Particularly you, Deprime. I know you've probably had a harder time with this than most. It's incredible that so many of us have found relief and so many newcomers have had such quick success as a result!!!!!

To those cured for the meantime and looking for a maintence routine, I HIGHLY recommend getting your hands on some aci-jel. For some reason the antibiotics worked for me this time, but I'm using the aci-jel to keep it away and so far it's working. Once I go through another cycle and a month or so passes and I have another period we'll see if it holds up. But we all know it's all about the pH and this is specifically made to keep it where it's supposed to be.
I've been using it for probably a week and a half or so now nightly (missed 2-3 nights there but got back on track last night) and I have no smell with a little( normal level ) discharge. I get worried sometimes just because the color is still off, but it could be old blood or the aci-jel. Unfortunatly the color of the aci-jel resembles the color of the discharge I used to have sometimes. ANYWAY, besides that and sex being a little uncomfortable now (not broken in again yet, aci-jel, all the crap i put up there, who knows but Im a little raw i guess) things are back to normal here and I couldn't be happier about it!!!!!
deprime
I may have spoken too soon ... I had a little BV this morning (smelled like onions today, strange I know), so I cut a 500mg Flagyl in half and stuck it up there. Here's hoping that I can really keep it away this time!
persona36
QUOTE(Eralc Alegna @ Apr 9 2007, 11:16 AM) *
I'm so happy for everyone getting results with the vaginal flagyl and whatever else is working for you ladies!! Particularly you, Deprime. I know you've probably had a harder time with this than most. It's incredible that so many of us have found relief and so many newcomers have had such quick success as a result!!!!!

To those cured for the meantime and looking for a maintence routine, I HIGHLY recommend getting your hands on some aci-jel. For some reason the antibiotics worked for me this time, but I'm using the aci-jel to keep it away and so far it's working. Once I go through another cycle and a month or so passes and I have another period we'll see if it holds up. But we all know it's all about the pH and this is specifically made to keep it where it's supposed to be.
I've been using it for probably a week and a half or so now nightly (missed 2-3 nights there but got back on track last night) and I have no smell with a little( normal level ) discharge. I get worried sometimes just because the color is still off, but it could be old blood or the aci-jel. Unfortunatly the color of the aci-jel resembles the color of the discharge I used to have sometimes. ANYWAY, besides that and sex being a little uncomfortable now (not broken in again yet, aci-jel, all the crap i put up there, who knows but Im a little raw i guess) things are back to normal here and I couldn't be happier about it!!!!!

ive been on that for a few days, great product. they ship so fast too, seems to be worth it!
jewelscando
QUOTE(deprime @ Apr 9 2007, 03:30 PM) *
I may have spoken too soon ... I had a little BV this morning (smelled like onions today, strange I know), so I cut a 500mg Flagyl in half and stuck it up there. Here's hoping that I can really keep it away this time!

DEPRIME: Be patient. Remember, you've had this for years. It may take a few days to kick in. What you are experencing is the B.V. going away. Are you staying away from sex?? Are you using the pill at night before you go to bed?

It took 3 for me, however, this last time, it only took 2. I did 1 200mg then 1 500mg. But, it does take a few days to take effect!!

Don't give up hope. And you might need to do a couple more. Everybody's body's are different. If anything, you'll just get a yeast infection, but that's easy to cure. ALOT EASIER THEN B.V.!!!

I know we all want something that will fix it right here right now, but remember, we have this for NO KNOWN REASON TO MAN, other then our PH Balance is screwed up. So, give it some time to work, and don't stress.

Thanks for keeping us posted!!
greeneyyes
Hello everyone! I am back, BV is back...stressed, frustrated. Cried all day. Keep posting your successes so that I may find mine. Thank you sooo much ladies.
anitsirhc
deprime, i smelt a little bit today too sad.gif the last pill i put in was on wednesday. now it's monday, it was gone for a few days and now it's back so i think i might put half of one in tonight. or maybe i should wait till after my period. does it smell if you have a yeast infection too? i haven't had that many yeast infections so i don't know. i kind of feel like i'm getting a yeast infection now cause it started itching last night and now today i have that itchy/burning feeling. i think since i'm supposed to get my period tomorrow, i will wait till after my period and see if i have a yeast infection and then maybe put in another one if i still smell it. but jewels you said the first time you did it you put 3 in. so maybe i will just put a 3rd one in tonight, it's been 5 days since i put in the last one. ahhh i don't know what to do!!
deprime
anitsirhc: I inserted one tonight (500mg) in addition to taking one orally -- I figure that I'll give it a go from both ends for a week to see how everything turns out. The nurse midwife I saw encouraged me to get to know my vagina and what works for me, so I'm going to experiment with the Flagyl for a while.

Jewels, thanks for the advice.... we will overcome this!

anitsirhc
deprime, let me know how that goes for you. i didn't insert another one tonight because i think i am getting a yeast infection and that might be why i am smelling a little bit. but i started my period so i'm going to get rid of the yeast infection (if that's what it is) and see if the smell is still there after my period is over.
justanothergirl
hey gang,
Ive been reading, watching the board...well forever...like allot of people Im sure. I just wanted to add a few things...I was wondering if it wouldnt be helpful if we all answered the same questions..to kinda pin point what we all have in common that started this embarrassing thing in the first place...I think randomly people mention but it would be nice if we all addressed the same questions..and then what brings a reoccurance after we find a temporary fix. Perhaps you have already did this?
I can tell you that im 38 and never had this problem until 5 months ago..when i started seeing someone new...and started having unprotected sex with him..before this..i ALWAYS used a condom...I always used douches...and purfumey body washes..and NEVER had this problem... I prided myself with always being so fresh in that way...all my life..so the idea that douching contributes i think is foolish.(the doctors tell us this..the same doctors that think were nutz when we talk to them about this)..i also want to add that...when i use a douch now..it provides about as long as a break from BV ..as some of u girls get from your various method. Our ph or flora is already messed up...it cant make it worst...and is allot less stressful then the different antibiotics and such...just my opinion but if u want a quick fix for a few days..DOUCH...it works..i used it ALL my life...and never had BV..until i started seeing this man.
The questions i think we could all answer (if anyone thought this might be helpful like i do) is ...did you start with a new partner...when this started..did you start having unprotected sex...did your partner go inside of u (gawd i know this is way to personal) , do you suspect your partner is unfaithful (this i mention because obviously he could have passed this onto us from the other partner)
I didnt notice anyone on this board or ANY other (and yes i read EVERYTHING to try and cure ths stupid stupid thing) say they got it from perfume soaps or douching...most often i see it mentioned a new partner or cheating partner. and in regards to douching, if anyone suggests that...there is bacterias there that should not be washed with a douche, because the body does it naturally..well so does our mouth..and we wash that daily...and it has its own healthy bacteria as well...so again i repeat that all my life I used these and prided myself on never having any problems like this. Mine cleary started because of this new partner..or the lack of a condom during sex with the new partner.
Also I know it has been mentioned that virgins can get this also..but correct me if im wrong but ive heard/read about 2 differnt types of BV...like when i went to the doctor..they said its typically a fishy smell..well i wish thats all it was for me and many of the other ppl that have it..but it is mostly a funky smell...thats the worst one..and that can be noticed from far away. I personally think the funky one is somehow associated with our partner..ok ill admit it..i wanna pass the blame onto them lol...I know also that lesbians often get this as well..so thats why i wonder about the "cheating" idea..maybe if we are with an unfaithful partner..or someoen who recently had sex with another girl..that somehow it gets passed and mixed with our stuff and messes up our balance. (i know silly and i hope im wrong on that idea)
Hope im not out of line..i just thought if were looking for a cure..why not try to pin point more what brought it on in the first place..so we know what might need to be changed..or altered....find the source....better chance to find a cure. if we figure out if we all or most have something in common in this regard..
neverending
Welcome to the board! I just wanted to say that when I had Bv DOUCHING WAS THE WORST. I would douche and the bv came back 20 min later and the smell was even worse. I don't think douching is a good idea for those still suffering with this illness. I think a lot has to do with hormones, ph, and Inflammation. For some,(like me) no matter what treatment we tried it probably would not have ever worked because our hormones were out of whack and that had a lot to do with the ph being off balanced. For others, I have no clue! I always suspected my was hormone related because I never had problems until I got off birth control.I hope this helps those that read this forum. If you suspect it's hormone related keep pressuring the doctors because to be honest they don't know everything and everyone's body is different. If I took the doctor's word (that it was not hormone related) I would still have bv.
justanothergirl

thank you neverending, well then obviously its not good advice for me to tell anyone else to use douche....just i cant find anything that works either..but when I use that..it temporarily takes the smell away...I used it 5 days ago..and have not had the smell since..it WILL return..and very soon..but those 5 days without..im grateful for....the way I think of it..is that its the discharge that is causing the order...so if you clean/rinse out the discharge..u get a break from the smell for a bit..until it has time for more to accumulate. (stupid sounding im sure...) but in my case it provides a few days relief. Until i find a cure for it.
Thank you for the welcome thou....been here for a long time..just been silent ...might go back to that lol so i dont give bad advice smile.gif
bvgirl
QUOTE(Eralc Alegna @ Apr 9 2007, 11:16 AM)

I called my doctor about aci-jel and he told me that it was discontinued by the manufactuer. I called the pharmacy and he looked it up and stated the same thing. I asked them when was it discontinued but there was no date available. So I was wondering when was it that you purchased this product and where.
Thank you in advance
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.