Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109
neverending
Thanks CanCan! I think Zinc is very important also and I think it could help BV but the only problem is how do you place it in the vagina. Do you put a tablet down there or do you buy a gel? If I still had BV I would try it but I'm ok downstairs. If anyone tries this let me know how it works out.
anitsirhc
hey ladies. i was just doing some reasearch on the nuvaring. because i was talking to my friend about how i'm always forgetting to take my pills and then i get spotting and it's just annoying. so she mentioned how she's on the nuvaring and how it's really low hormones and you don't have to remember anything. so then i was thinking about it but then i was thinking i don't know if it's a good idea to have something in there if i have a problem with bv, what if it makes it worse.

soooo... i did some research and i actually found out that the nuvaring can help out with bv. i found this at http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/post...ex/1289815.html

"A small percentage of women complain of vaginal irritation when using the ring. And some ring users report more vaginal wetness, although a study found that this increase in discharge was harmless and did not lead to problems such as yeast infections. (In fact, new research suggests that the ring may boost the production of beneficial bacteria in the vagina and reduce the chance of an infection called bacterial vaginosis.)"

so i was just wondering if anyone has tried the nuvaring or if anyone knows anything about it? thanks!! hope everyone is doing ok. i'm still doing great with the yeast arrest. smile.gif

and bvgirl thanks for your info, sorry if i asked you that question already. tongue.gif
sassy
The nuvaring is not a good idea, in my opinion. Having anything in your vagina, that is already prone to infections, seems like it would just breed more bacteria. How many studies did you find with that info? I have heard that the nuvaring increases vaginal infections, especially yeast infections, because unlike oral birth control, it delivers the hormones to the vagina directly and can therefore throw off the balance of things. I think I remember one person on here trying it and it didn't really change anything. So I guess it's worth a shot but I've heard bad things.
anitsirhc
QUOTE(sassy @ May 29 2007, 02:40 PM) *
The nuvaring is not a good idea, in my opinion. Having anything in your vagina, that is already prone to infections, seems like it would just breed more bacteria. How many studies did you find with that info? I have heard that the nuvaring increases vaginal infections, especially yeast infections, because unlike oral birth control, it delivers the hormones to the vagina directly and can therefore throw off the balance of things. I think I remember one person on here trying it and it didn't really change anything. So I guess it's worth a shot but I've heard bad things.

thanks sassy, i will do more research and post on here what i find.
lori
QUOTE(sassy @ May 29 2007, 11:40 AM) *

I agree with you. I've previously cited studies which showed that diaphragms also increase chances of BV - I do think it might be because of having a foreign body in your vagina might throw off your balance - or that you're introducing bacteria into the vagina when you're putting it in and taking it out. (This is why I was not keen on the diva cup.)

But as always, just my opinion.
arj75
Good evening everyone,

I finally made it in to the doctor. I had managed to kill the bv before hand unfournately. (garlic cloves) He did a culture though, so I'm still awaiting word as to what all he found. I did have a staff infection from the overkill of hydrogen perioxide...I guess..

He prescribed to me two antibotics..one being cephalexin (3500 mg) 4 times a day AND? Levaquin first dose 750 mg then 500 mg ( 4 days total). I'm a little concerned being that he doesnt even know what is in my culture yet so why all these antibotics? He said my cervix were inflammed too. Has anyone been one this combo or does anyone have any advice or concerns..

You all will be pleased to know that I found a website that I can ask my crazy science questions too! I just have to wait up to 2 weeks sad.gif ..(or so they say) lol.
bvgirl
QUOTE(arj75 @ May 29 2007, 10:48 PM) *
Good evening everyone,

I finally made it in to the doctor. I had managed to kill the bv before hand unfournately. (garlic cloves) He did a culture though, so I'm still awaiting word as to what all he found. I did have a staff infection from the overkill of hydrogen perioxide...I guess..

He prescribed to me two antibotics..one being cephalexin (3500 mg) 4 times a day AND? Levaquin first dose 750 mg then 500 mg ( 4 days total). I'm a little concerned being that he doesnt even know what is in my culture yet so why all these antibotics? He said my cervix were inflammed too. Has anyone been one this combo or does anyone have any advice or concerns..

You all will be pleased to know that I found a website that I can ask my crazy science questions too! I just have to wait up to 2 weeks sad.gif ..(or so they say) lol.

I really have to say that it sounds to me what the doctor prescribed to you is a very large amount of antibiotic. I am sorry you are dealing with a staff infection. How much of the hydrogen perioxide were you using to treat the bv? To prevent this staff infection from happening again (I dont know if you may want to inform your doctor that you were using the hydrogen perioxide) maybe you should discontinue it and look into other products. It just sounds so very scary to me because if he prescribed all that medicine for you it must be serious. Also, try giving your vagina a break after this episode by not inserting anything in it for a while. I went a whole month without inserting anything(It may be easier said than done since I currently have been bv free but try it). GET WELL....
lori
QUOTE(bvgirl @ May 30 2007, 05:46 AM) *
To prevent this staff infection from happening again (I dont know if you may want to inform your doctor that you were using the hydrogen perioxide) maybe you should discontinue it and look into other products. It just sounds so very scary to me because if he prescribed all that medicine for you it must be serious. Also, try giving your vagina a break after this episode by not inserting anything in it for a while. I went a whole month without inserting anything(It may be easier said than done since I currently have been bv free but try it). GET WELL....

I agree with bvgirl. Don't look into other products, but really give your vagina a break. I think you should absolutely inform your doctor about the garlic, HP, etc. that you've been using if you haven't already - give your doctor a full picture so s/he can have even 1/2 a chance to figure out what's going on.

I think your doctor gave you all those antibiotics because he suspects an active infection, esp. since your cervix is inflamed. Or is it just for the staph? In any case, let the antibiotics do their thing, and don't use any products in your vagina.

Make sure to continue taking your probiotics, though! And please share your culture results with us when you get them.
Morphia
Ok, so I'm back. I wanted to let you all know that I cultured positive for strep. But I don't exactly know what that means. Don't we all have strep in there? Is it something that needs to be treated?

I also wanted to mention that I've been on the Flagyl for 11 days now and the fatigue is damn near unbearable. My arms feel like they're going numb and I'm so weak. I'm assuming this is a very bad sign and I should probably stop taking it.
ilovehim
hey guys how you all doing?

Everything's still the same with me. =| Has anyone found anything new to try?
arj75
QUOTE(Morphia @ May 30 2007, 05:50 PM) *
Ok, so I'm back. I wanted to let you all know that I cultured positive for strep. But I don't exactly know what that means. Don't we all have strep in there? Is it something that needs to be treated?

I also wanted to mention that I've been on the Flagyl for 11 days now and the fatigue is damn near unbearable. My arms feel like they're going numb and I'm so weak. I'm assuming this is a very bad sign and I should probably stop taking it.

Did your dotor tell you what the name was of the strain of the strep b he found...I think there is several group b's (not sure). I do know I'm a carrier of strepoccuccos group b (not sure if that is how it is spelled)..researchers still don't know a lot about that strain (imagine that)...from the little information that I have read. Is the strep b you have the same that causes strep throat or another?

I do know that I was treated with antibotics for the strain I mentioned above before both of the delivery's of my children..and my seven year old has had strep throat several times this year, (and in the past) and suffers from chronic ear infections...and he isn't as responsive to antibotics as he should be... I'm gonna start giving him probotics too..because he has been on antibotics so many times ...he has diahahea(sp) often at least 3 times a week and gets headaches (at least once a month) that hurt him so bad he gets sick to his stomach.. his doctors aren't concerned about it , however I am. (well he is on the states insurance though too)

I have to take him to the doctor today, again, like every month. (Get nasty letters from his school about his attendance.)

I'll be back later to bitch. lol.
CanCan
QUOTE(arj75 @ May 31 2007, 06:54 AM) *
Did your dotor tell you what the name was of the strain of the strep b he found...I think there is several group b's (not sure). I do know I'm a carrier of strepoccuccos group b (not sure if that is how it is spelled)..researchers still don't know a lot about that strain (imagine that)...from the little information that I have read. Is the strep b you have the same that causes strep throat or another?

I just found some info on a website:
'Is group B strep the same as strep throat?

No. Strep throat is caused by group A streptococcus bacteria. Group A and group B streptococcus are different kinds of bacteria. They both belong to the same family, but they are different species.'

[ http://www.cdc.gov/groupBstrep/general/gen_public_faq.htm ]
CanCan
QUOTE(Morphia @ May 30 2007, 06:50 PM) *

You went to your doctor, and the doctor found strep? I found some information on a website, read the link below. Maybe you can contact this website and ask them for some advice. You will probably get more advice from them then from a doctor. I mean, didn't your doctor tell you how to treat it? Also, you being on Flagyl for that long, with the side effects that you are feeling is worrying. I would stop taking it if I were you. Maybe it works for some people, but what if it isn't agreeing with you? I have a question, how much of the Flagyl are you taking? I was reading somewhere that the quantity of Flagyl isn't as important as the frequency. So taking it every day, but taking less would be as effective.

[ There are two main types of bacterial vaginal infections, a general mixed bacteria infection called bacterial vaginosis (BV) and a streptococcal bacterial vaginosis. Either one of them can be associated with complications for a pregnant woman. BV can lead to preterm labor and delivery. Streptococcal vaginitis can do the same and, in addition, it can cause an infection in the newborn baby. This is a very serious infection and about 4% of babies who get this infection die and the ones who survive have other serious infections in the brain, lung and bone.

What is a streptococcal vaginosis?

Vaginosis caused by streptococcus presents as a creamy, white discharge. There is not usually a burning of the vulva as there is with yeast infection and the discharge is not very odorous like a bacterial vaginosis. If the doctor looks at the discharge under a microscope, there are no white blood cells and no lactobacilli, the normal bacteria of the vagina.

There are several streptococcal species that can be present in the vagina, group A, B and D strep. About 70% of strep vaginosis is due to group B and about 30% are due to group D. Group A infections are rare.

Strep vaginosis can occur spontaneously but very often it is caused by the antibiotic treatment given for bacterial vaginosis. Metronidazole (Flagyl®) is the usual treatment for BV but it does not treat strep, therefore an overgrowth of streptococcus frequently occurs. This is such a problem that one vaginal cream, clindamycin vaginal cream, which was frequently used for bacterial vaginosis during pregnancy, is no longer approved because it results in a strep vaginosis. Oral clindamycin is still approved for bacterial vaginosis and there is no evidence that it produces a strep overgrowth.

http://www.wdxcyber.com/npapvg11.htm ]
arj75
CANCAN,
I have been searching months for information about strep b..THANK YOU!

lori
QUOTE(arj75 @ May 31 2007, 06:14 PM) *
CANCAN,
I have been searching months for information about strep b..THANK YOU!

Ditto that. Thank you CanCan! That is some very fascinating information.

Strep vaginosis can occur spontaneously but very often it is caused by the antibiotic treatment given for bacterial vaginosis. Metronidazole (Flagyl®) is the usual treatment for BV but it does not treat strep, therefore an overgrowth of streptococcus frequently occurs. This is such a problem that one vaginal cream, clindamycin vaginal cream, which was frequently used for bacterial vaginosis during pregnancy, is no longer approved because it results in a strep vaginosis. Oral clindamycin is still approved for bacterial vaginosis and there is no evidence that it produces a strep overgrowth.

(This is some pretty amazing stuff, right here.)
sassy
I've been on the clindamycin cream twice before for my BV so that is nice to know. You think someone would have figured it out before millions of women were treated using that cream. This pisses me off!
arj75
I had to take my son to the doctor again yesterday...and he was seen by someone who really cares...she thinks its possible that he may be just a "carrier" of the bacteria that causes strep throat..and has been treated for it for NO DAMN REASON AT ALL. She made him an appointment to do some testing on him when he is healthy.

Finally, in one day, I get 2 bits of information that I should have been told about a LONG time ago.

Obviously, if we don't ask, many doctors aren't gonna tell us what they should.

THANK YOU AGAIN CANCAN.

I have another appointment with my doctor in 2 weeks. He mentioned that it is possible that I have deficientcy of the b vitamin complex...not likely..but possible....

Often, women with bv are deficient with those vitamins.

He also told me not to take zinc two hours before and two hours after my antibotics.

So, it is important that you tell your doctor what vitamins you are taking.

arj75
QUOTE(CanCan @ May 31 2007, 05:55 PM) *
You went to your doctor, and the doctor found strep? I found some information on a website, read the link below. Maybe you can contact this website and ask them for some advice. You will probably get more advice from them then from a doctor. I mean, didn't your doctor tell you how to treat it? Also, you being on Flagyl for that long, with the side effects that you are feeling is worrying. I would stop taking it if I were you. Maybe it works for some people, but what if it isn't agreeing with you? I have a question, how much of the Flagyl are you taking? I was reading somewhere that the quantity of Flagyl isn't as important as the frequency. So taking it every day, but taking less would be as effective.
[ There are two main types of bacterial vaginal infections, a general mixed bacteria infection called bacterial vaginosis (BV) and a streptococcal bacterial vaginosis. Either one of them can be associated with complications for a pregnant woman. BV can lead to preterm labor and delivery. Streptococcal vaginitis can do the same and, in addition, it can cause an infection in the newborn baby. This is a very serious infection and about 4% of babies who get this infection die and the ones who survive have other serious infections in the brain, lung and bone.

What is a streptococcal vaginosis?

Vaginosis caused by streptococcus presents as a creamy, white discharge. There is not usually a burning of the vulva as there is with yeast infection and the discharge is not very odorous like a bacterial vaginosis. If the doctor looks at the discharge under a microscope, there are no white blood cells and no lactobacilli, the normal bacteria of the vagina.

There are several streptococcal species that can be present in the vagina, group A, B and D strep. About 70% of strep vaginosis is due to group B and about 30% are due to group D. Group A infections are rare.

http://www.wdxcyber.com/npapvg11.htm ]

Hey everyone...I'm really FUCKING worried. I didn't get to the hospital to deliver my baby until I was 9 and a half centimeters dialated. I'm hoping he didn't get strep passed to him. I hope I"m over reacting. I have had him to the ER for "croup" twice..OH YEAH...his legs (they aren't growing right)
CanCan
All these variants of bacteria are getting me confused. I don't even have the energy to figure out which one I have. Every time I go to a new doctor, it is costing me time and money. I think the thing I am going to do for now, as long as I can hold out, is do the no sugar diet. I have been doing it for the past month and a half. And so far so good. I don't know if I got rid of the infection or not, but I seem to be controlling it. No discharge and no smell. I know that some women get relapses a month down the road, or even two or three months down the road, so that is scary. I am going to stay on this diet. But I am suffering, because I love sugar, and I can't figure out what I can eat. Are there any sugar-free desserts out there that are actually sugar free? I need chocolate or ice cream. And when I read the labels, it looks like there is still some kind of sugar in them. Like sorbitol, mannitol and xylitol.. which are sugar alcohols, but still sugar. I know we don't digest them because of their different chemical composition; but are the bacteria still able to eat them? Does anyone know? Because, if the fake sugars are still feeding the bacteria, then that rules that out.
Morphia
Ok. So, when I was told that they found strep in my culture, it was the nurse who didn't know how to read the culture that told me. I just got off the phone with my actual doctor and he said that they found E. coli in there. So, he's going to call in a week of Cipro. Its not too surprising that E. Coli could get in there. He didn't even know if it was something that should be treated or not but decided that since it was found deep in the vagina that it should be taken care of. He said that we were going to give it a try and be "scientific." lol. I love this doctor.
arj75
QUOTE(Morphia @ Jun 1 2007, 03:44 PM) *
Ok. So, when I was told that they found strep in my culture, it was the nurse who didn't know how to read the culture that told me. I just got off the phone with my actual doctor and he said that they found E. coli in there. So, he's going to call in a week of Cipro. Its not too surprising that E. Coli could get in there. He didn't even know if it was something that should be treated or not but decided that since it was found deep in the vagina that it should be taken care of. He said that we were going to give it a try and be "scientific." lol. I love this doctor.

Maybe that will work for you Morphia...my doctor stold me that bacteria can migrate from your ass to your vagina, as well as yeast... I wonder how much build up you have of it in there? Are we not suppose to have any at all there?

My doctor told me to iron my underwear, sheets, and towels... I feel like Martha Stewart on acid. He also said to bathe morning and night (which I already did) but to use a hair dryer on my snatch ( to prevent yeast). (and I thought I was the one with the obcessive disorder. lol.

I have calmed my self down over my baby being exposed to strep, because I got to thinking...he did have an x-ray..if that bacteria was built up in his lungs..wouldn't that have showed up? His legs are screwed up though..and the doctor is concerned..I also called her and he is getting checked out on Monday.

The reason why I was curious as to whether the lactobacillus get their oxygen from our vaginal skin cells or just ventilation.... is I found a couple items that improve oxygenation of tissues.....
Superoxide dismutase plus dimethyglycine and
Aerobic 07

this Kyo-green from Wakunaga....supplies nutrients and chlorophyll needed for tissue repair and cleanses the blood

Anyone tried these?
arj75
QUOTE(CanCan @ Jun 1 2007, 01:45 PM) *
All these variants of bacteria are getting me confused. I don't even have the energy to figure out which one I have. Every time I go to a new doctor, it is costing me time and money. I think the thing I am going to do for now, as long as I can hold out, is do the no sugar diet. I have been doing it for the past month and a half. And so far so good. I don't know if I got rid of the infection or not, but I seem to be controlling it. No discharge and no smell. I know that some women get relapses a month down the road, or even two or three months down the road, so that is scary. I am going to stay on this diet. But I am suffering, because I love sugar, and I can't figure out what I can eat. Are there any sugar-free desserts out there that are actually sugar free? I need chocolate or ice cream. And when I read the labels, it looks like there is still some kind of sugar in them. Like sorbitol, mannitol and xylitol.. which are sugar alcohols, but still sugar. I know we don't digest them because of their different chemical composition; but are the bacteria still able to eat them? Does anyone know? Because, if the fake sugars are still feeding the bacteria, then that rules that out.

I am confused as hell too. I went about 4 days without eating, I had myself so stressed out. My new battle plan I'm gonna try is an alkaline diet. Even got myself a couple cookbooks. I'm just gonna avoid refined sugars and fruits and see if that gets me anywhere. I also read that bacteria eat iron, so I'm stopped taking my vitamins with iron added, and I'm just gonna give my body the bare minium it needs of that.

I have no other options, as I can't stick anything else inside my vagina ( to damn scared to anyways lol) I am taking vinegar baths (organic apple cider) and that stuff is expensive...do they sell it by the gallons? One 16 oz bottle is $3.29. I chain smoked my last pack of ciggs...and no more alcohol for at least three months. (keeping my fingers crossed)

My doctor did say he would (consider) " b "injections. I think it might help me because I suffer from anxiety and until I can bitch slap myself back to normal...I'm up shit creek without a paddle.
Italianwife88
Hi, im new:)

My name is Christina I'm 19 I live in North Carolina.
I've been battling multiple infections since I began being active.
no I dont have a STD.
I've been treated for BV and yeast infections for almost a year now, its exhausting, stressful, and EXPENSIVE;especially without insurance or a good job.

I started a Boric Acid treatment that I have to do for 2 months. I'm pretty new to all this chronic stuff and often think what did i ever do to deserve this hell.

rolleyes.gif

hope to get to know all of you.

neverending
WELCOME ITALIANWIFE! Tell us a little about what you have tried? I fixed my problem with estrogen=estroil.
Italianwife88
Well since I have only been seeing a primary physician because I dont have insurance I was being wrongly diagnosed with yeast infections. I would take diflican pills even back to back; take a pill wait 5 days take a pill, and it always seemed to return. I had a culture and it came back BV so i was treated once for that. I kept getting UTI's along the way. So I was at the doctor every week for UTI, yeast or BV. I did monistat once and took some presciptions for BV once. When it came back this time they decided it was chronic and needed something stronger. I started the boric acid suppositorys this week and they will last for 2 months... thats a long time and frustration expecially since the first week of this medicine will be in company of my period. thats just uncomfortable on top of uncomfortable.

I have thought it might be might diet affecting me since im in love with chocolate sugar and caffine. I try to cut back. any advice on what kind of diet i should maintain?
neverending
Low carbs but i'm not sure! Thanks for sharing the info:)

Estrogen Cream or Estrogen-Releasing Vaginal Devices
Postmenopausal women with recurrent UTIs may consider the use of an estrogen vaginal cream or estrogen-releasing vaginal ring (Estring). Estrogen may resist infection by increasing the number of lactobacilli, the microorganism that fights infection by lowering the vaginal pH levels and preventing E. coli from adhering to vaginal cells. Estrogen creams and estrogen-releasing rings may help reduce the risk of recurring urinary tract infections. Oral hormone replacement therapies that contain estrogen do not seem to provide the same benefit as the topical forms. Estrogen HRT carries many health risks, including an increased risk for breast cancer and heart disease. It is not clear if vaginal forms of estrogen are associated with these risks.
Italianwife88
post menopausal? I'm 19. Could I have estrogen problems already?

I'll let you know what happens with the Boric Acid treatments, I hope it works. I dont want to live with this forever.
neverending
I was reading a web article where they were putting very young girls (like 6,7,8,9 and so on) on estrogen because their bodies (vaginas) never uhm............what's the word i'm looking for? Developed properly. When I find that article again I'll post it smile.gif
Italianwife88
Thats strange, ok thanks alot. smile.gif
lori
QUOTE(Italianwife88 @ Jun 3 2007, 06:37 PM) *
Well since I have only been seeing a primary physician because I dont have insurance I was being wrongly diagnosed with yeast infections. I would take diflican pills even back to back; take a pill wait 5 days take a pill, and it always seemed to return. I had a culture and it came back BV so i was treated once for that. I kept getting UTI's along the way. So I was at the doctor every week for UTI, yeast or BV. I did monistat once and took some presciptions for BV once. When it came back this time they decided it was chronic and needed something stronger. I started the boric acid suppositorys this week and they will last for 2 months... thats a long time and frustration expecially since the first week of this medicine will be in company of my period. thats just uncomfortable on top of uncomfortable.

I have thought it might be might diet affecting me since im in love with chocolate sugar and caffine. I try to cut back. any advice on what kind of diet i should maintain?

Hello Italianwife88! Boy, you've been through the ringer. I've heard that BV can cause UTI's, and the infection can go back and forth. Looks like that might be the case with you. Let's hope the Boric acid does the trick.

What prescription did you take for your BV?

Have you tried probiotics? Check out my blog for some info. on that (link in my sig)
CanCan
QUOTE(neverending @ Jun 4 2007, 10:05 AM) *
I was reading a web article where they were putting very young girls (like 6,7,8,9 and so on) on estrogen because their bodies (vaginas) never uhm............what's the word i'm looking for? Developed properly. When I find that article again I'll post it smile.gif

QUOTE(Italianwife88 @ Jun 4 2007, 10:53 AM) *
Thats strange, ok thanks alot. smile.gif

Not as strange as one would think. My sister had her estrogen and progesterone levels read years ago, and they came back strange, and she was only in her twenties. Your progesterone/estrogen ratio is supposed to be within a certain range, and if the ratio is off, then you will have health issues. I think it would be a good idea to have yours measured by a doctor. I am going for bloodwork myself in two weeks, just to see if that is why I have BV. It could be that my body is just like my sisters.. we seem to be having the same health problems.
CanCan
QUOTE(Italianwife88 @ Jun 3 2007, 09:37 PM) *

Concerning diet.. a good diet to do is the 'Candida Diet'. I know we are talking about Bacterial Vaginosis on this forum, but killing bacteria and killing yeast is a similar thing. You have to starve the bacteria by cutting off their food source. Don't eat sugar or simple carbs for a while. That is what I am doing, and it seems to be controlling the BV for now. Controlling it until I can figure out what my real health problem is, and why I have chronic BV. I read a book called The Yeast Connection, and that had diet ideas in it. Or you can just google yeast infection on the internet, and there you can find a lot of yeast and bacteria fighting diet information.

Someone mentioned earlier about keeping your diet less acidic - and more alkaline. I believe this is a good way to go. Try to eat healthy alkaline forming foods, so that you can fight infection. Having an acidic body makes it harder to heal. Just to let you know, coffee and sugar are both on the list of acidifying foods. So you should limit them. I try to have not more than one cup of coffee a day! And if you do eat acid forming foods, balance it out with healthier alkaline forming foods.

Also make sure you read through all the previous threads on this board.. there is a lot of information already listed by others. Good luck!
help4bv
I FOUND A GREAT PRODUCT FOR BV.

Hi Everyone: I just wanted to let you all know that I came across a probiotic that seems to really work (I noticed a difference almost immediately). It is called Fem Dophilus and it is made by Jarrow. This probiotic is specifically made to re-colonize the vaginal tract with lactobacillus and you only take it orally. It contains two patented forms of lactobacillus that are proven to work specifically for the vaginal tract. Trust me, I have taken probiotics by the handful without results. This is the first time I have gotten results as good as this. Supposedly, flagyll has a cure rate of only 44%, but taking this along with the flagyll increases the cure rate twice as much. I am just using the Fem dophilus by itself and feel blessed relief from this pain in the neck problem. Trust me – you will be amazed.

I too was diagnosed with Strep B as well. I think this is helping that too. I have not felt this good in years!

lori
QUOTE(help4bv @ Jun 4 2007, 03:34 PM) *
I FOUND A GREAT PRODUCT FOR BV.

Hi Everyone: I just wanted to let you all know that I came across a probiotic that seems to really work (I noticed a difference almost immediately). It is called Fem Dophilus and it is made by Jarrow.

Thanks help4bv! Good to see that someone else is having good results with Fem-dophilus.
arj75
Hey everyone,

I was hoping to share my culture results with you all but.... I'm still waiting for them them to return my phone call.

I do know that I'm not stinking. I'll start my period here in another week or so, hopefully with no stinch afterwards. I forgot to say that my vinegar baths...he said very cold water..and stay in for one minute...this might just be for my cervix being inflamed though. Good news is no burning yeast infection yet..knocking on wood.

I did some more reading about the bodies oxygen levels, and healing, rebuilding vaginal skin cells that are roting away inside..... Our vaginal walls need rebuilt too. I'm gonna try the products I brought up before about improving oxygenation. Worth a shot.

I also started to investigate the link as why african american women are higher at risk(douche to much) , while asian women are the lowest for bv. (They eat a lot of soy) I came across some interesting information about soybeans and soy supplements...and well, I'm confused as hell, because it said that soy can be bad because it has a property in it that "poses itself as estrogen and links with what estrogen should"??? I'm gonna check into that a little more. I just thought I would mention it because I think some of us drink soy milk and eat soy......

My baby had bloodwork done today. The doctor is checking just to be sure I explained to her about the fact that I didn't get to the hospital..and had bv most of my prenantcy..but was never treated for it... She did say that if he had a bacterial infection from strep b that he would be way sicker. I guess she is just checking for my own sanity, but I'm glad she is.

I also read "The yeast connection" and in that article a doctor explains his "theory" of how to check cultures..and moniter the progress of each bacteria..I think monthly? I'm sure that can get pretty damn expensive because he said that most insurance companies don't want to pay for that. No surprise there. I wish he would have mentioned his success rate with his patients by doing that. I'd like to know what my odds are before I would go that route.

Morphia
QUOTE(arj75 @ Jun 4 2007, 07:02 PM) *
Hey everyone,

I was hoping to share my culture results with you all but.... I'm still waiting for them them to return my phone call.

You may have to call them. I, personally, can't wait to see what it comes back with. I didn't expect e. coli in my culture, but of course, it didn't surprise me either.
anitsirhc
ok well i've been using the yeast arrest for 2 weeks now, i thought i was doing fine but yesterday and today i feel like i kind of smell a little bv smell. but it's not the same bv smell i've always had, just kind of a little tiny bit sour smell. but i'm getting my period this week (it's my week off from my bc pills.) so maybe that has something to do with it. i've been taking the fem dophilus with it.

bvgirl, did the yeast arrest have a smell to it at all when you used it?

well anyway i'm going to be using the yeast arrest for 2 more weeks and hope it stays away. i've had sex a few times so maybe that's not a good idea to do that while on the yeast arrest and that's why i smell a little? it's not like oh my god i stink smell, i just smell the discharge sometimes and i've noticed it smells a little bit. so i'll slow down the sex part a little too.

i've been trying to keep up with all your talk about strep b and a and stuff like that but it's too confusing for me to understand! i tried doing a little research on it myself and i didn't get much out of it.
arj75
Does everyone already know hat tindamax was approved by the fda (may 24, 2007?) for treatment of bv. This is not a new drug, it is already prescribed for other aliments. I only read the one article, according the studies success rate...I'm not sure why they "approved" it. But at least it is another option.....
cinderflower
. . . and well, I'm confused as hell, because it said that soy can be bad because it has a property in it that "poses itself as estrogen and links with what estrogen should"??? I'm gonna check into that a little more. I just thought I would mention it because I think some of us drink soy milk and eat soy......

just to simplify it for you: soy has estrogen in it basically. plant estrogen. i don't eat any meat so i use seitan and soy protein powder--protein but no fat. just remember not to od on the soy because too much estrogen isn't good for anyone. i get about 24 grams of protein a day from soy and that agrees with me but if you're concerned, ask your doctor.

e.coli is very common because it's in everyone's digestive tract, you just don't want it in your vagina or urinary tract. the old caveats really are the best: cotton crotch panties, be careful to air yourself out if you wear tight-fitting nylon clothing, wipe front to back, pee right before you have sex if possible, and be extremely clean if you have anal sex (i.e. never insert anything from anus to vagina without washing it first or at least changing the condom). cranberry juice or pills work wonders for uti's, plain active culture yogurt really does work when you apply it vaginally (it's not just for breakfast anymore), and it's the anaerobic (growing without oxygen) bacteria that's evil.
lori
QUOTE(arj75 @ Jun 4 2007, 08:49 PM) *
Does everyone already know hat tindamax was approved by the fda (may 24, 2007?) for treatment of bv. This is not a new drug, it is already prescribed for other aliments. I only read the one article, according the studies success rate...I'm not sure why they "approved" it. But at least it is another option.....

Thanks for this info. arj75! This is definitely useful news for everyone:

FDA Approves Tindamax® For Bacterial Vaginosis
arj75
[quote name='cinderflower' date='Jun 4 2007, 11:19 PM' post='156091']
. . . and well, I'm confused as hell, because it said that soy can be bad because it has a property in it that "poses itself as estrogen and links with what estrogen should"??? I'm gonna check into that a little more. I just thought I would mention it because I think some of us drink soy milk and eat soy......

just to simplify it for you: soy has estrogen in it basically. plant estrogen. i don't eat any meat so i use seitan and soy protein powder--protein but no fat. just remember not to od on the soy because too much estrogen isn't good for anyone. i get about 24 grams of protein a day from soy and that agrees with me but if you're concerned, ask your doctor.

Thanks Cinderflower, you take supplements? I read an article that a doctor had written, basically saying stear clear of supplements from soy, that it can be dangerous. I'm sorry, I do not remember the link, I will try and track it down for you.

Do you think that your bv is caused from hormonal issues or not? Does yours come back every month or how often?

Are you a lacto-vegan or total vegan?
arj75
My insomnia is back with full force, try reading about antimicrobial peptides without any sleep (4 days), and try to make sense of it. lol. I quit taking Xanax, as it wasn't helping any longer and I didn't want to become dependant on something that wasn't helping anyways.

We are stressed, which effects our immune system, because way to much lactic acid is dumped into our system, which breeds yeast, (possibly killing our good bacterias) which yeast take over whether it just be in our stomachs or vaginas or who knows where else. It sucks that not only do we have to deal with smelling like rotten fish, but now we have UTI's to worry about, and possibly some of us..IBS. So, when I get time I'm gonna start a blog for prevention of all of these...plus vitamin deficiencies that all "link" to these disorders.

But this is just my opinion, which makes a whole hell of a lot of sense to me.

I thought I was doing something by taking 500 mg of vitamin C....ummm, it is suggested for stressed out females to take 3,000-10,000 mg daily.

But as I have mentioned earlier, you have to talk to your doctor. Because certain vitamins can react with certain meds, (even some foods) and stop absorbtion, and who knows whatever else. If you have other health issues please discuss with your doctor.

bvgirl
QUOTE(anitsirhc @ Jun 4 2007, 09:12 PM) *
ok well i've been using the yeast arrest for 2 weeks now, i thought i was doing fine but yesterday and today i feel like i kind of smell a little bv smell. but it's not the same bv smell i've always had, just kind of a little tiny bit sour smell. but i'm getting my period this week (it's my week off from my bc pills.) so maybe that has something to do with it. i've been taking the fem dophilus with it.

bvgirl, did the yeast arrest have a smell to it at all when you used it?

well anyway i'm going to be using the yeast arrest for 2 more weeks and hope it stays away. i've had sex a few times so maybe that's not a good idea to do that while on the yeast arrest and that's why i smell a little? it's not like oh my god i stink smell, i just smell the discharge sometimes and i've noticed it smells a little bit. so i'll slow down the sex part a little too.

i've been trying to keep up with all your talk about strep b and a and stuff like that but it's too confusing for me to understand! i tried doing a little research on it myself and i didn't get much out of it.

Hello..
All I can say about the fact that you may have smelled a little bv maybe you need to allow more than two weeks for your body to respond to it fully & if you smelled it after sex I suggest that you use the yeast arrest afterwards. I believe I remembered reading about when you stated that the yeast arrest was working pretty fast(if I am not mistaken). When I first started on the yeast arrest it took only two doses before the smell disappeared but I continued to take it and I did smell a hint a small hint of bv a week into it but I continued taking the yeast arrest everyday on schedule. As far as any smell, the only smell I have is somewhat oniony from time to time but no bv smell. Some women may respond to it differently and on the directions it states that you may have to use it longer than suggested or at least wait until your initial use is completed then monitor how your smell is. Since it is not a cure it is just a process to just continue to monitor your progress. Also, as far as having sex while actively using the yeast arrest well it could irritate your partner if he comes in contact with it. While using the yeast arrest you will have a discharge throughout the day and so that discharge which contains boric acid (as you know )and can be an irritant can cause problems for him. That would be the only issue I would see with regards of having sex while actively on the yeast arrest. I dont know how effective condoms would be with the boric acid. you may want to research it. For me my honey is over in Iraq until October so I am not sexually active but I too need to research boric acid and condoms. Always good to be informed
sassy
Just for your info guys: Jewels and I both tried Tindamax and it didn't help anymore than Flagyl did. I think it actually may have more side effects, too.

I wish soy helped...I have been vegetarian for 8 years now and I try to stay away from milk too so I have tons of soy in my diet. No help with my BV here.
Italianwife88

My bv being caused by hormonal issues sounds correct because it does keep coming back each month right before my period. I even told my doctor that and they didnt suggest a estrogen problem
neverending
Hun, I'm sorry to be the first to say but doctors could care less as long as you keep coming back. I kept asking my doctor for estrogen but he kept denying it but if I asked for something else like metrogel or something then yeah he would give me that all day long. They don't care! I have no faith in doctors PERIOD!
lori
QUOTE(arj75 @ Jun 5 2007, 05:15 AM) *
We are stressed, which effects our immune system, because way to much lactic acid is dumped into our system, which breeds yeast, (possibly killing our good bacterias) ...

But isn't lactic acid a good thing? I thought that was one of the things that lactobacillus produced in the vaginal flora (along with HP) that keeps the bad bacteria in check.
anitsirhc
QUOTE(bvgirl @ Jun 5 2007, 09:06 AM) *
Hello..
All I can say about the fact that you may have smelled a little bv maybe you need to allow more than two weeks for your body to respond to it fully & if you smelled it after sex I suggest that you use the yeast arrest afterwards. I believe I remembered reading about when you stated that the yeast arrest was working pretty fast(if I am not mistaken). When I first started on the yeast arrest it took only two doses before the smell disappeared but I continued to take it and I did smell a hint a small hint of bv a week into it but I continued taking the yeast arrest everyday on schedule. As far as any smell, the only smell I have is somewhat oniony from time to time but no bv smell. Some women may respond to it differently and on the directions it states that you may have to use it longer than suggested or at least wait until your initial use is completed then monitor how your smell is. Since it is not a cure it is just a process to just continue to monitor your progress. Also, as far as having sex while actively using the yeast arrest well it could irritate your partner if he comes in contact with it. While using the yeast arrest you will have a discharge throughout the day and so that discharge which contains boric acid (as you know )and can be an irritant can cause problems for him. That would be the only issue I would see with regards of having sex while actively on the yeast arrest. I dont know how effective condoms would be with the boric acid. you may want to research it. For me my honey is over in Iraq until October so I am not sexually active but I too need to research boric acid and condoms. Always good to be informed

thanks bvgirl. i plan to keep taking it anyway. the smell comes and goes and it's very very faint, not strong at all. and when i have sex i always wait until it's not really coming out of me anymore. i never do it right after i inserted one. he hasn't complained about it irritating him at all. i still have another 2 weeks until i'm done taking this for a month. i'll keep updating.

oh and when i do have sex i always insert the yeast arrest right after.
happyrox
HI...I'm 24 and have had bv for about three years and have tried everything. I went to the gyno and she gave me everything there is to treat bv..some of the meds were Clindesse, Gynazole, Relegard, Vandazole. I also tried the metallic tasting pill which made me feel so sick! A couple of the meds worked but only for a couple weeks and then the bv came back. I got tested for several stds and all came back negative(of course! I've only had sex with one man). My husband has been so understanding of the situation and I am very thankful for that. Having this is horrible! I know it isn't because of sex or his sperm, because we've gone several months without sex and it would always come back! I quit going to the gyno because I was getting no positive results.

I have been lurking around in the message boards hoping to find some advice to get rid of my BV. I started taking Acidophilus orally and daily. Shortly after, I started the yogurt/acidophilus treatment and using that vaginally. I tried that for about two weeks and nothing! It didn't work! I was upset because I read on so many boards that this worked for lots of women. I was giving up hope, but then I learned about the Boric Acid treatment and a hydrogen peroxide treatment. I decided to try the boric acid treatment. I went to a local grocery store and bought the boric acid in powder form. Then, I went to a vitamin store and bought empty gel size 0 capsules. I filled them up about half way and inserted them vaginally. Boric Acid is toxic so they are not to be taken orally! It's recommended to take this for 7 days, but after 3 nights of taking this I started seeing results!! The discharge was gone! I had a little discharge but it was clear and did not smell at all..it looks to be natural. It's been about 2 weeks and it is still gone!! This is so great! My hubby and I are having sex and it still has not come back! I'll be posting this in several message boards and I hope some of you give it a try! Good luck! biggrin.gif
arj75
QUOTE(lori @ Jun 5 2007, 11:46 AM) *
But isn't lactic acid a good thing? I thought that was one of the things that lactobacillus produced in the vaginal flora (along with HP) that keeps the bad bacteria in check.

Lactic acid is good when bacteria produce it in our vagina's, but bad, when high amounts are produced and released in our blood stream.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.