Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109
CarrieBradshaw
question -- i'm going to be flying a lot this summer and am wondering how to travel with my must-be-refridgerated FemDophilus (which by the way, I LOVE!!!). What do you guys do/suggest????
chronicpanic
QUOTE(mfc10 @ Feb 5 2008, 09:12 AM) *
Hi--Check out this discussion board [url="http://www.steadyhealth.com/due_to_boric_acid__my_yeast_infection_has_changed__t92154.html"]
where a couple women talked about vaginal Strep B. I believe that Dr. Elizabeth Stewart's "The V Book" also covers strep b. Will post again if I hear of anything helpful.
Take care,
Magggie

thanks! unfortunately there's not much info going around yet =( now my vulva's swelling up and feeling a tad raw, as always when i get the infection.
Bella10
QUOTE(chronicpanic @ Feb 5 2008, 02:20 AM) *
hi girls! i'm new here =) been reading this thread with much interest!

22 year old here.. but unlike most of you here, i'm actually from singapore, where such problems are either seldom heard of or swept under the rug due to embarrasement. yeah, the average asian is a frightened tight-lipped one tongue.gif

first up.. i've recently had an odd watery yellowish discharge of late, coupled with a slight, but not empowering smell. not wanting to take the risk i headed to my gynae where he noticed that my vulva looked reddish and he took a culture and the results were that i have a heavy growth of strep b, and put me on amoxillin for 2 weeks.

the odd thing is, after much googling, i found out that strep b infection is one thats without symptoms.. i have already been on amox for a week and still not much results =( i'm wondering if its BV, since the culture also covered trich and other STDs and all were negative. i'm so paranoid that i have been trying to smell myself everytime i get the chance to, to the extent that i'd whiff my pantyliner (yeah gross i know). i've never had BV before, so im not sure how the smell is like but the current smell that i have is actually not very strong, and i have to put my nose really closely to the pantyliner before i can smell anything.

to be honest i kinda forgotten how my normal discharge smells like.. there's even a chance it might be my normal discharge just that my paranoia affects my perception.

sigh.

can anyone who's had strep b before kindly enlighten this lost soul here?! thanks!!! and oh, is it possible that BV discharge is yellowish and not an opaque white? and will eating yoghurt help restore the PH in anyway? thank you once again!

Hi Chronicpanic, I actually had Group B Strep last summer and was given amoxocillian. It does cause a discharge but I had white. It did cause irritation on me too. Be careful because Amoxo has been known to cause fungal yeast infections. I am sure that you do not have BV if your gyn cultured you because that would have showed up in the culture results.
CanCan
QUOTE(CarrieBradshaw @ Feb 5 2008, 10:22 AM) *
question -- i'm going to be flying a lot this summer and am wondering how to travel with my must-be-refridgerated FemDophilus (which by the way, I LOVE!!!). What do you guys do/suggest????

I once traveled all the way to Asia from the states with a pie, and asked the flight attendants on the plane if they could please put it in the fridge. And they did! You could use a little insulated bag and try doing the same thing.
texie
Need advice please- and I'm sorry, but this has probably come up in older threads-

Is there any link between HPV and BV? - I feel like my fiance has given me both- the HPV for sure. My gyno tested me for BV and I tested negative, but there is of course still a smell and itch that comes and goes.

I want to continue to use condoms because I think that he's irritating my vagina- I've been reading that this will aggrevate the BV- but I can't really stand to have sex with him without condoms knowing of what's lurking down below- Is condom use a no-no for BV?

So, can he be "sanitized?" I just had my first biopsies, which were very painful and made the BV flare up- I'm going to start taking F-dophilus-

I'm extremely pissed that I have to deal with his past- he had no idea of course, and still has no idea of what an aggrevation this is- between this and his family I'm ready to call it off-
CanCan
QUOTE(texie @ Feb 6 2008, 05:01 PM) *
Need advice please- and I'm sorry, but this has probably come up in older threads-

Is there any link between HPV and BV? - I feel like my fiance has given me both- the HPV for sure. My gyno tested me for BV and I tested negative, but there is of course still a smell and itch that comes and goes.

I want to continue to use condoms because I think that he's irritating my vagina- I've been reading that this will aggrevate the BV- but I can't really stand to have sex with him without condoms knowing of what's lurking down below- Is condom use a no-no for BV?

So, can he be "sanitized?" I just had my first biopsies, which were very painful and made the BV flare up- I'm going to start taking F-dophilus-

I'm extremely pissed that I have to deal with his past- he had no idea of course, and still has no idea of what an aggrevation this is- between this and his family I'm ready to call it off-

Women with BV have a higher likelihood of catching STDs because their vaginas are no longer equipped with protective lactic acid and hydrogen peroxide producing bacteria. Maybe he did give you the HPV, but many men have it, so it is kind of hard to avoid. I was just reading about a cream called 'Imiquimod'. I don't know much about it, except that it somehow boosts the immunity of the cells on your skin. Perhaps you could ask your doctor about it, and do some research. Also research how to boost your immune system. They say that if you try to keep really healthy, the HPV may go away on its own. Keep positive, and hopefully it will! Good luck.

[ How common is HPV?
Approximately 20 million people are currently infected with HPV. At least 50 percent of sexually active men and women acquire genital HPV infection at some point in their lives. By age 50, at least 80 percent of women will have acquired genital HPV infection. About 6.2 million Americans get a new genital HPV infection each year. ]

[ http://www.cdc.gov/STD/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm#common ]
greeneyyes
Hello,
I have not posted in ages...just been kinda dealing with it all the best that I can. During one of my random googles I came across an add for a product called Vagiprin...google it, check it out and let me know if anyone has tried it!
mg86
QUOTE(texie @ Feb 6 2008, 05:01 PM) *

I'm extremely pissed that I have to deal with his past- he had no idea of course, and still has no idea of what an aggrevation this is- between this and his family I'm ready to call it off

This isn't advice, really, but, I sort of feel there may be a link. In summer of '06 I had an abnormal pap smear that diagnosed me with HPV. supposedly there are many different strains and only a handful are cancerous, but lucky me, I had one of the pre-cancerous types, so they had to remove it. Basically I had to have my cervix frozen (cryotherapy) to kill off the pre-cancerous cells.

This was in June, and several months later, upon entering a new relationship (Aug/September), my BV fun began. I am wondering if something about the procedure left me more susceptible to infection?

However I was also on a lot of antibiotics around that time too, so its hard to say..Hope things get better for you smile.gif
SpRiNkLeS
So I totally need to vent and rant and you ladies are the only people on the face of this earth who know EXACTLY what I am talking about. Ok so I am completely depressed right now. My BV ‘smells’ came back a few days ago and although they are very faint I am not happy. It was the damn friggin period ya’ll!!!! I just KNEW that the odors would come back once my period ended. No, No, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My life like sucks again. Thank goodness I have my son, he comes up to me all needing hugs and just to sit on my lap and he makes me feel wanted. Like how the HELL am I ever supposed to find a hot man who would want to put up with me? I mean with a vagina that randomly smells like a diaper and food. Like………$*%$** I’m all whiny and tantrum prone tonight. Arrgh!!! I need chocolate.

I have a totally new smell to announce. CHEESE!!!!! Yes you read correctly. My kitty smells all cheesy. Lol…………no it’s not funny!!!!!!!! I smell like cheese sticks. Three days ago I woke up and went to the bathroom and I’m like…………what the f**%? I smell like cheese?!!!!!! So I shower and it goes away but comes back at night. You can’t smell it through my clothes YET (who knows what the heck will happen in the next few days!) but whenever I go to the bathroom and check things out it’s like a total cheese party down there. Weird I know. And before the cheese happened guess what I smelled like? Chicken Caesar salad!!! I’m serious.

Like I have mentioned before, my vagina hates me and she is playing games.
------------------------------
On a totally separate note I had the most awesome dream that I have EVER remembered last night. It was all Matrix-like (as in the movie THE MATRIX) and it was all bizarre and awesome. Frickin hero over here!! Cheers and all that jazz.
I’m goin all crazy. It’s the BV!!!!
SpRiNkLeS
Ok so I took the time to read all the posts. Hmmm……..maybe next time I’ll do that BEFORE I post. YES good idea. There’s so many!! Oh and HI Virgin4Life, thanks but unfortunately it came back. It went away from using MetroGel ( the ONLY antibiotic that works for me) but comes back sometimes at the end of my period. Last time I was lucky enough to go through 3 periods before my BV came back. =( I just started BC last month so hopefully in another 2 months my hormones will start to become sane.

I also wanted to say hi to all the new girls Chronicpanic (doh! I shoulda thought of that name), Texie and Greeneyyes.

Konphusion! Sister girl!! Lol…………….so when you say “master-debate” are you actually talking about what I THINK you are talking about? Self love, hmm? OMG, so I totally wanted to talk about that with all the ladies here but wasn’t sure if anyone would reply………..except maybe QuietMadness because I know she doesn’t mind if I ask personal questions. OK so the question I have for everyone here...

DOES ANYONE’S BV GET WORSE AFTER A SELF EXPLORATION SESSION? Mine would totally get worse for a whole day. I mean it would be BAD FISH and it made me feel so dirty and guilty when in actuality I’m practicing celibacy so I should feel clean!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway that was actually before I used the MetroGel and my BV was bad back then anyway. So since I’ve used the MetroGel my BV has been awesome except for the cheese aroma the last couple days. Anyway I’m so traumatized I haven’t “master-debated” in a while. And Konphusion if that is not at all what you were talking about then I totally feel like an ass.
chronicpanic
QUOTE(SpRiNkLeS @ Feb 8 2008, 02:09 AM) *
Ok so I took the time to read all the posts. Hmmm……..maybe next time I’ll do that BEFORE I post. YES good idea. There’s so many!! Oh and HI Virgin4Life, thanks but unfortunately it came back. It went away from using MetroGel ( the ONLY antibiotic that works for me) but comes back sometimes at the end of my period. Last time I was lucky enough to go through 3 periods before my BV came back. =( I just started BC last month so hopefully in another 2 months my hormones will start to become sane.

I also wanted to say hi to all the new girls Chronicpanic (doh! I shoulda thought of that name), Texie and Greeneyyes.

Konphusion! Sister girl!! Lol…………….so when you say “master-debate” are you actually talking about what I THINK you are talking about? Self love, hmm? OMG, so I totally wanted to talk about that with all the ladies here but wasn’t sure if anyone would reply………..except maybe QuietMadness because I know she doesn’t mind if I ask personal questions. OK so the question I have for everyone here...

DOES ANYONE’S BV GET WORSE AFTER A SELF EXPLORATION SESSION? Mine would totally get worse for a whole day. I mean it would be BAD FISH and it made me feel so dirty and guilty when in actuality I’m practicing celibacy so I should feel clean!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway that was actually before I used the MetroGel and my BV was bad back then anyway. So since I’ve used the MetroGel my BV has been awesome except for the cheese aroma the last couple days. Anyway I’m so traumatized I haven’t “master-debated” in a while. And Konphusion if that is not at all what you were talking about then I totally feel like an ass.

hello! biggrin.gif

i've been trying to smell myself like crazy these past few days (yes gross but im sure u girls understand the hell im going thru) and im still friggin undecided if it smells normal or if its a tad fishier than normal! grrrrrrrrr.

and what is metrogel? ive been on amoxicillin for a week but not much effect. sigh
konphusion26
QUOTE(SpRiNkLeS @ Feb 8 2008, 02:09 AM) *

DOES ANYONE’S BV GET WORSE AFTER A SELF EXPLORATION SESSION? And Konphusion if that is not at all what you were talking about then I totally feel like an ass.

SPRINKLES!! hey babe! YES thats exactly what I meant.. i just didnt wanna come out and say it!! LOL Mine seems to get worse too girl! So i've been trying to NOT go there, but I am losing my mind.. no sex in the last MONTH because of this crap. Its unreal. Gosh.... I thought I was the only one. And if this is thread- inappropriate I apologize. I just figured someone else might be goin thru the same thing and could relate. Yall are my therapy!!!!! Sprinkles, my smell has been buttermilk, turpentine (from the TTO) and fish lately... Yum LOL Not attractive. Plus i get the bubbles all the time down there. I still dont understand that crap. Poor hubby has to be thinkin what the hell!! But he's super supportive and tries to stay out of my way when I'm ranting and frustrated. Anyway its almost 5am and i havent been to sleep yet. Must force myself to lay down now.

SMOOCHES!
neverending
QUOTE(SpRiNkLeS @ Feb 8 2008, 07:31 AM) *
So I totally need to vent and rant and you ladies are the only people on the face of this earth who know EXACTLY what I am talking about. Ok so I am completely depressed right now. My BV ‘smells’ came back a few days ago and although they are very faint I am not happy. It was the damn friggin period ya’ll!!!! I just KNEW that the odors would come back once my period ended. No, No, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My life like sucks again. Thank goodness I have my son, he comes up to me all needing hugs and just to sit on my lap and he makes me feel wanted. Like how the HELL am I ever supposed to find a hot man who would want to put up with me? I mean with a vagina that randomly smells like a diaper and food. Like………$*%$** I’m all whiny and tantrum prone tonight. Arrgh!!! I need chocolate.

I have a totally new smell to announce. CHEESE!!!!! Yes you read correctly. My kitty smells all cheesy. Lol…………no it’s not funny!!!!!!!! I smell like cheese sticks. Three days ago I woke up and went to the bathroom and I’m like…………what the f**%? I smell like cheese?!!!!!! So I shower and it goes away but comes back at night. You can’t smell it through my clothes YET (who knows what the heck will happen in the next few days!) but whenever I go to the bathroom and check things out it’s like a total cheese party down there. Weird I know. And before the cheese happened guess what I smelled like? Chicken Caesar salad!!! I’m serious.

Like I have mentioned before, my vagina hates me and she is playing games.
------------------------------
On a totally separate note I had the most awesome dream that I have EVER remembered last night. It was all Matrix-like (as in the movie THE MATRIX) and it was all bizarre and awesome. Frickin hero over here!! Cheers and all that jazz.
I’m goin all crazy. It’s the BV!!!!

The Bv will do that to you hun! LMAO @ YOUR POST. I'm doing much better now mentally. I was on the edge a couple of months but this is a new year and I haven't had bv in a long time and I feel better. I 've had men come up to me a lot lately. Feels soooooo GOOD. Anyway, I hope you all find that wonderful cure for yourselves and never give up. Try everything. Oh, and I had a couple of ideas:

1. when I had bv I took Caprylic (sp?) acid, that I bought from the health food store, and tha helped.
2. Putting either apple cider vinegar or lemons in the water works wonders too. (squeeze the lemons in the tub)
3.Colon hydrotheraphy helps also but it only keeps the bv away for 2-3 days.
4.aerobic oxygen works wonders also. just put a couple of drops(i think 15) in water and drink.

Hope this helps!
konphusion26
Hey girls... i had one of those "oh crap is that me!" moments tonite while I was out dancing. I did some crazy dance move and smelled a whiff of fish! BUT IT WASNT ME thank God. It was some chick behind me. But I was paranoid for the rest of the night. Good grief. Happy Saturday ladies.
auralpoison
Um, okay, so this isn't exactly my bailiwick, but I have to say, doesn't amoxicillin actually *contribute* to yeast infections/bv by changing your pussy's pH? Wouldn't taking it just makes things worse?
whateverfitsyou
Hey. I'm 18 and soo clueless to this whole HPV and BV thing. I recently had a colposcopy(sp?) and whatnot. Obviously they found some abnormal cells. I had an appointment for my results,however, I had to cancel. So, my results are delayed until 3 weeks! Anyways, does having HPV means you have genital warts(or cancer). Or, does is simply means you have HPV?(unless you actually have the strand that causes genital warts.) Also, I read on a website that sometimes HPV can clear itself..is that true?

Oh and I've been reading about this horrible vaginal smell.Particularly, one member mentioned a ''diaper'' like smell. That's exactly what I've been having! It occurs the last day of my period and about 7 to 14 days after. It'll go away but come right back after my period.I can smell it through my clothes while I'm sitting down,or sometimes standing. It has a range of smells...sometimes it smell like old garbage,a dead rat(gross? I know), or as though someone has lost their manners(aka) pass gass/ pooting/farting. Could this be a smell related to BV? I had the smell when I went to the doc to get my colposcopy, but it wasn't as strong as usual. So, my doc didn't get the ''full-effect'' of this odor. He said its nothing to worry about, since I was just ending my period.
jewelscando
Hello everyone...just wanted to give a quick update. All is still awesome on my end. Thank you again Morphia for the Tea Tree Oil suggestion. It's changed my life!! I can't explain why it's worked for me, other then, it's taken my bv away. The last time I posted, which was a couple of weeks ago, was the last time I used Tea Tree Oil. Had sex this weekend, TWICE!! haha, AND, still no smell. I will use a TTO tomorrow night, just to be on the safe side.

The "Bubbles" that you all talk about, that is a for sure sign for me, when I have B.V. That is gone. The smell is gone. The discharge is gone. And remember, I have been battling this for over 5yrs. All I can suggest, is you all keep trying.

But for me, it's the Tea Tree Oil!! I LOVE IT!!
mg86
QUOTE(whateverfitsyou @ Feb 9 2008, 06:45 PM) *
Hey. I'm 18 and soo clueless to this whole HPV and BV thing. I recently had a colposcopy(sp?) and whatnot. Obviously they found some abnormal cells. I had an appointment for my results,however, I had to cancel. So, my results are delayed until 3 weeks! Anyways, does having HPV means you have genital warts(or cancer). Or, does is simply means you have HPV?(unless you actually have the strand that causes genital warts.) Also, I read on a website that sometimes HPV can clear itself..is that true?

Oh and I've been reading about this horrible vaginal smell.Particularly, one member mentioned a ''diaper'' like smell. That's exactly what I've been having! It occurs the last day of my period and about 7 to 14 days after. It'll go away but come right back after my period.I can smell it through my clothes while I'm sitting down,or sometimes standing. It has a range of smells...sometimes it smell like old garbage,a dead rat(gross? I know), or as though someone has lost their manners(aka) pass gass/ pooting/farting. Could this be a smell related to BV? I had the smell when I went to the doc to get my colposcopy, but it wasn't as strong as usual. So, my doc didn't get the ''full-effect'' of this odor. He said its nothing to worry about, since I was just ending my period.

Hi whateverfitsyou,

welcome to the forum. I am pretty new here myself. As for the HPV, when I had it I was freaking out too because I was afraid I would get genital warts or cancer. Basically what my doctor told me is that there are hundreds of variations and only a handful are cancerous. I am not sure about the genital warts..however if the cells are cancerous and you catch them early you are totally safe. I was very scared but my gyno told me it was about 10 years (give or take) before it would develop into full-fledged cancer. Also HPV does go away on its own sometimes. It is soo common, I can't believe it has only come into light in the recent years or so..especially since there are often no symptoms. I'm sure you'll be just fine. Catching it early is the most important thing, as is having regular exams.

As for the smell I'm not sure what to tell you. From what I've read here everyone reports weird smells but they are all different. if it is really strong and noticeable and not like your normal smell than it is probably related to some kind of infection. it may be BV but you should get checked for other stuff just in case.

hope this helps!! smile.gif
yme30
QUOTE(whateverfitsyou @ Feb 9 2008, 07:45 PM) *

Hi Wefy, I was reading on HPV and it does say that it can clear up on its own, also that its genital warts but can rarely turn into cervical cancer. So if you are going back for test and they find something they can address it early on which will help a great deal but thats only if they find something wrong.

I think your smell could be related to BV because maybe your ph gets off balance after your period and the BV takes over temporarily. Anyway just talk to your doctor about it again and tell him specifically about the odor. Be good
CarrieBradshaw
Hi ladies! I just had to share this with you:

I was reading an interview with Jessica Alba in Elle magazine last night. For some reason, it was listing all the things that she had in her purse at the time, and guess what?! One of the things they mentioned were Acidolphilus pills. I wonder if Jessica has had problems with BV or some other issues before?! I guess celebrities aren't as perfect as we all thought. smile.gif I do feel for her though......maybe she can join our forum?! Or maybe she's already here... smile.gif

Anyways, it could have nothing to do with any V problems, but as the BV sufferer I am, that's the first thing I thought of. smile.gif
neverending
QUOTE(yme30 @ Feb 12 2008, 02:42 PM) *
Hi Wefy, I was reading on HPV and it does say that it can clear up on its own, also that its genital warts but can rarely turn into cervical cancer. So if you are going back for test and they find something they can address it early on which will help a great deal but thats only if they find something wrong.

I think your smell could be related to BV because maybe your ph gets off balance after your period and the BV takes over temporarily. Anyway just talk to your doctor about it again and tell him specifically about the odor. Be good

HPV does clear up on it's own but because it is so common your likely to catch it again (different strains of it). If men weren't such big whores that pride themselves on how many women they bed, maybe HPV wouldn't be such a big problem (75% of the sexually active community has HPV) because remember, the number of partners your partner sleeps with, you might as well say you've slept with those people too. Also (i've read somewhere) the HPV virus is so small that it is able to pass through latex.
chronicpanic
i am taking a daily capsule of acidophillus, just in case =) however as i am still on a 2 week antibiotic course not sure if its effective since it'll probably kill off all of the acidophillus =(

anyway just wondering.. my funky smellin discharge is gone (yay!) and its back to smelling normal again! but the consistuency is rather thick, and its a light yellow colour which dried up to a darker yellow on my pantyliners. if i remember crrectly my normal vaginal discharge dries up to a faint off-white colour.. do u think its a result of the antibiotic?! ive gone thru all the blood tests so an STD is out. arghhhh!
lulubare@yahoo.com
Hi I am new to this forum. I have had bv for 6 months with severe swelling. My doctor finally admitted the antibiotics are never going to help me. The new treatment is steroid cream externally for the swelling and irritation (so far it is not helping) and Nuvaring placed inside me. Has anyone ever heard of Nuvaring being used to help restore the vaginal ecosystem? The doctor claims it helps the lactobacilli come back, something about the topical estrogen improving vaginal health.
This is called an off label use of a medication since I'm not using it for contraception (haven't been able to intercourse for 6 months). I'm hoping the Nuvaring is going to help but I really don't think it will. I have been taking acidophilus orally for months and no help, also used it vaginally which burned the vaginal lining and made me much worse. Have really tried everything and my condition continues to get worse, to the point where I am confined to my home because I'm in too much pain to walk. The doctor says my symptoms aren't typical of BV, I don't know why I have this severe swelling.
mg86
QUOTE(lulubare@yahoo.com @ Feb 13 2008, 05:24 PM) *
Hi I am new to this forum. I have had bv for 6 months with severe swelling. My doctor finally admitted the antibiotics are never going to help me. The new treatment is steroid cream externally for the swelling and irritation (so far it is not helping) and Nuvaring placed inside me. Has anyone ever heard of Nuvaring being used to help restore the vaginal ecosystem? The doctor claims it helps the lactobacilli come back, something about the topical estrogen improving vaginal health.
This is called an off label use of a medication since I'm not using it for contraception (haven't been able to intercourse for 6 months). I'm hoping the Nuvaring is going to help but I really don't think it will. I have been taking acidophilus orally for months and no help, also used it vaginally which burned the vaginal lining and made me much worse. Have really tried everything and my condition continues to get worse, to the point where I am confined to my home because I'm in too much pain to walk. The doctor says my symptoms aren't typical of BV, I don't know why I have this severe swelling.

Hi lulu

Welcome to the forum! I am pretty new here myself. I have never heard of the Nuvaring being used in that way, but hey, it couldn't hurt smile.gif I know what you mean about the swelling - I have had BV for a year and a half now, but when I first got it I was so swollen and it hurt to walk as well. I haven't had sex in several months (due to single life not BV), but when I did have sex with BV I was really swollen and sore afterwards. I am sorry you have to deal with that! I hope that what your doctor prescribes works for you. Keep us posted!

CanCan
QUOTE(lulubare@yahoo.com @ Feb 13 2008, 05:24 PM) *

Hi Lulubare,
Some people here have tried the Nuvaring, and it has helped their BV! If you want to read about what those women had to say, you can read their posts by clicking the search button on the upper right hand side of this page, and typing in the word you are searching for, in this case 'nuvaring', and it will pull up all the previous posts... Good luck.
ThisSux
Hi girls, just here to give you an update on my condition. I've had BV for the past 6 months or so and just found out I have a kidney infection. I've had some pain in my lower left back for the past month or so and I finally went in and was diagnosed. It was more like an ache....not too bad, just kinda sore. Please be careful, I've done research and I guess infection from other parts of the body can travel up to the kidney, although kidney infections are generally caused by bladder infections.

But I've been thinking maybe I've had this kidney infection for some time now and because of it is one reason my bv hasn't been able to clear up??? Just a thought. I'm on antibiotics now and hopefully it will clear it up as we all know kidney infections can progress to very serious. The strange thing is I never had any symptoms of a kidney infection prior to this so it's actually pretty scary that its gone undiagnosed for so long.

Currently I'm on antibiotics AND I'm doing the Yeast Arrest twice a day. I know better to think that this treatment is gonna knock the bv out of my system, its been really stubborn as you all know it can be. But I'll let you all know how that works out.

Good luck to you all!
ThisSux
Ooooh I see the recent topic has been about HPV. I have HPV and it progressed to mild cervical dysplasia???? Spelling I'm not sure......I just had a leep done and was hoping this procedure would help fix up my insides and make my innards healthier and clear up the bv but NO! BV is still there. Hopefully once I fix up my kidney I'll start getting healthier.....but I'm not holding my breath.
CarrieBradshaw
QUOTE(lulubare@yahoo.com @ Feb 13 2008, 04:24 PM) *

Hi lulubare! I'm so sorry about what you're going through. I just finished read a lot of The V Book: A Guide to Complete Vulvovaginal Health. It has a LOT of interesting tidbits in there, and unbeknownst (did I spell that right?) to me, there are TONS of V conditions that can cause symptoms like pain and swelling and discharge. I've had on and off bouts with BV for almost 2 years, and although everyone is different, I never really had any pain or swelling or irritation. I say if you question one doctors diagnosis, see a different one! You might have a completely different issue! BUT, I'm not a doctor, so what do I know! smile.gif

Good luck with Nuvaring!
stillhottie
I have just been diagnosed with BV as I have been having frequent urination to the point of going insane. I can't even go to the grocery store because I have the urge to urniate every couple of minutes. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem while having BV? Also if you have had this problem did the frequent urination finally go away.
neverending
QUOTE(stillhottie @ Feb 16 2008, 09:53 PM) *
I have just been diagnosed with BV as I have been having frequent urination to the point of going insane. I can't even go to the grocery store because I have the urge to urniate every couple of minutes. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem while having BV? Also if you have had this problem did the frequent urination finally go away.

Yes, frequent urination was a constant problem of mine when this first started. After sex was the worst. I know how you feel hun. This sucked to no end. I used Estroil to get rid of this but sometimes (not often) I still get the uti's. I think the bactera from the vagina gets pushed up into the urinary tract. Try Oatstraw tea. That should help.

Ladies:

I've realized that the dry vag. problems may be due to stress. I've realized that when I'm not stressed out as much, I'm ok. Another thing is my husband does NOT give me much foreplay. When he's ready thats it for me.
ellie-a
[font="Georgia"][/font][size="2"][/size][color="#000000"][/color]
Hi all,

Just wanted to say what an excellent support system I think you guys have got happening here! Personally, I've found this forum invaluable over the past few months. It's helped me feel less like a freak and more - dare I say - 'normal' - cough. I've been beside myself with the dreaded BV for over 2 years now. It's difficult to explain how depressing it can be to suffer BV to anyone who hasn't had it....it impacts your entire persona. I too have discovered the dr's are clueless about a cure for it. Even my so-called specialist (female) gyno looked at me weird when I tried to explain the 'smell' to her. When she asked me to describe it, I told her it was like a rat had crawled up there and died (I honestly couldn't think of any other way to describe it)....the look on her face was priceless, as though she'd never encountered anything so gross before....this, from a gyno???!!! Anyway, I think it was one of THE most embarassing moments of my life, having to actually put it into words like that. She actually suggested that next time the 'smell' returned, I should go see her so she could take a whiff (to help her diagnose it)....yeah right, AS IF!! blink.gif

Anyway, after much research I decided that for me, the condition was triggered (as everyone here would know) by the use of soap 'down there', made worse by a change in my hormonal levels and of course, the slightest sexual activity, after which I;d always find myself right back to square one, in the dreaded 'BV Zone'.....that was, UNTIL NOW. Thankfully, I read the post suggesting Tea Tree Oil, so I had a go at douching with it and VOILA!! BV was GONE!! Without a trace! Just like that. That was about 10-12 days ago and SO FAR, SO GOOD....I'm SO excited, I feel like I've rejoined the human race.

I just wanted to share my experience with those of you who may not have tried it (Tea Tree Oil) yet...it's definitely worth a shot. It's easy to use, cheap, readily available, smells great and best of all, is a natural product.

Best wishes all - and keep up the great work here. smile.gif
jewelscando
QUOTE(ellie-a @ Feb 18 2008, 02:50 PM) *
[font="Georgia"][/font][size="2"][/size][color="#000000"][/color]
Hi all,

Just wanted to say what an excellent support system I think you guys have got happening here! Personally, I've found this forum invaluable over the past few months. It's helped me feel less like a freak and more - dare I say - 'normal' - cough. I've been beside myself with the dreaded BV for over 2 years now. It's difficult to explain how depressing it can be to suffer BV to anyone who hasn't had it....it impacts your entire persona. I too have discovered the dr's are clueless about a cure for it. Even my so-called specialist (female) gyno looked at me weird when I tried to explain the 'smell' to her. When she asked me to describe it, I told her it was like a rat had crawled up there and died (I honestly couldn't think of any other way to describe it)....the look on her face was priceless, as though she'd never encountered anything so gross before....this, from a gyno???!!! Anyway, I think it was one of THE most embarassing moments of my life, having to actually put it into words like that. She actually suggested that next time the 'smell' returned, I should go see her so she could take a whiff (to help her diagnose it)....yeah right, AS IF!! blink.gif

Anyway, after much research I decided that for me, the condition was triggered (as everyone here would know) by the use of soap 'down there', made worse by a change in my hormonal levels and of course, the slightest sexual activity, after which I;d always find myself right back to square one, in the dreaded 'BV Zone'.....that was, UNTIL NOW. Thankfully, I read the post suggesting Tea Tree Oil, so I had a go at douching with it and VOILA!! BV was GONE!! Without a trace! Just like that. That was about 10-12 days ago and SO FAR, SO GOOD....I'm SO excited, I feel like I've rejoined the human race.

I just wanted to share my experience with those of you who may not have tried it (Tea Tree Oil) yet...it's definitely worth a shot. It's easy to use, cheap, readily available, smells great and best of all, is a natural product.

Best wishes all - and keep up the great work here. smile.gif

I'm so glad you've found what works for you!! Tea Tree Oil has been a god send for me as well!!! Still going strong, with the use of TTO!! I only use it now, 1 suppository after sex. And it's kept the bubbles, discharge, and best of all, THE SMELL!!! Away!!

Glad it worked for you too!! Just any relief is great, but this has been incredible!!

Thanks for the information!!
jularee
Hi Ladies! Just wanted to give a quick update: I've been BV free for almost 3 months now! Every 2 weeks or so I'll insert a Femdophilus capsule coated in tea tree oil at bedtime but that's pretty much it as far as preventive stuff goes. I went for my annual girly bits check up last wk and the doc said everything looked nice and healthy down there and all the swabs and cultures came back fine. Woo hoo! I wish all of you ladies the best of luck with finding what will take care of your BV. smile.gif
neverending
QUOTE(jularee @ Feb 20 2008, 05:48 AM) *
Hi Ladies! Just wanted to give a quick update: I've been BV free for almost 3 months now! Every 2 weeks or so I'll insert a Femdophilus capsule coated in tea tree oil at bedtime but that's pretty much it as far as preventive stuff goes. I went for my annual girly bits check up last wk and the doc said everything looked nice and healthy down there and all the swabs and cultures came back fine. Woo hoo! I wish all of you ladies the best of luck with finding what will take care of your BV. smile.gif

Good for you! No more Granny panties.LOL.......I can wear my thongs again with no problem. Yay! I was soooooo glad to get rid of this crap. My pap smears have been great and no dis. or smell. Thank goodness because I was starting to become hostile/ a mean bitch. The only problem I'm sick of now is my husband (lol) and the dry vag. but I think it's because of stress. Anyway, again good for you. smile.gif
CarrieBradshaw
Hi everyone! Just wanted to give a quick update -- Been on FemDophilus since 1/15/08 and I'm doing great, no BV ever since. I feel much cleaner and healthier. I take one/day. Before and after my period sometimes I'll take 2/day. Then after my period, I insert one caplet just to help things regain balance. Yay!

Jularee -- Do you take FemD orally as well as vaginally? Thanks!
JoanClayton
Deleted
konphusion26
I got mine from Swanson Vitamins and they're only like 13 bucks and some change!!!! I just bought 2 more bottles. That's the cheapest price I've found.
JJ27
QUOTE(jularee @ Feb 19 2008, 11:48 PM) *

OMG I'm so confused...Jularee I have been following your post and sounds like Femanol worked but because of the price you tried other products and sounds like Femdopilus is the way to go. I have been suffering from BV for the past year and now am researching for a solution so I can enjoy making love to my boyfriend again without wondering if I will get infected again and me being the B that I am I told him that it was his fault, LOL. Now I see that it could be his semen but why four years later is it happening now? I was just about to purchase Femanol but ran into this post and so happy I did. I am so happy to hear about symptoms from other posters that are similar to mine!!!!! I'M NOT CRAZY AFTER ALL!!! Thank you all for sharing and making me feel normal again. Do you dip the capsule in tea tree oil or does it come like that? I would appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!
JJ27
Since I'm new to this how do you get a pic under your user name?
jularee
QUOTE(JJ27 @ Feb 20 2008, 05:28 PM) *
OMG I'm so confused...Jularee I have been following your post and sounds like Femanol worked but because of the price you tried other products and sounds like Femdopilus is the way to go. I have been suffering from BV for the past year and now am researching for a solution so I can enjoy making love to my boyfriend again without wondering if I will get infected again and me being the B that I am I told him that it was his fault, LOL. Now I see that it could be his semen but why four years later is it happening now? I was just about to purchase Femanol but ran into this post and so happy I did. I am so happy to hear about symptoms from other posters that are similar to mine!!!!! I'M NOT CRAZY AFTER ALL!!! Thank you all for sharing and making me feel normal again. Do you dip the capsule in tea tree oil or does it come like that? I would appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

Welcome JJ! Yes i dip the capsule in tea tree oil. Works like a charm! smile.gif Hope this helps!

Carrie: I tried the Femdophilus orally several months back and it did nothing for my BV. I only use them vaginally now and it works soooo much better.

Joan: I purchased Femdophilus from iherb.com. The site has great prices and they even ship it in a little styrofoam container with ice packs at no extra cost.

neverending: Yes! I can finally wear cute little undies again! It's wonderful! My confidence level has definitely jumped up a few notches. smile.gif

lisa1
Hello,
I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place. I just noticed that inside my vagina, there is a white film-like appearance. I don't know how else to describe it other than when I look in there, it looks white inside instead of the usual pink. What's strange about it is it doesn't go away with washing or wiping, and when i touch it, I don't end up with any of it on my finger (visibly) and it doesn't seem to 'move around' like regular discharge. Its really freaking me out. i have an appointment in a few days but I'm just looking for some input/support. Thanks,
Lisa
neverending
QUOTE(jularee @ Feb 21 2008, 06:15 AM) *
Welcome JJ! Yes i dip the capsule in tea tree oil. Works like a charm! smile.gif Hope this helps!
Carrie: I tried the Femdophilus orally several months back and it did nothing for my BV. I only use them vaginally now and it works soooo much better.
Joan: I purchased Femdophilus from iherb.com. The site has great prices and they even ship it in a little styrofoam container with ice packs at no extra cost.
neverending: Yes! I can finally wear cute little undies again! It's wonderful! My confidence level has definitely jumped up a few notches. smile.gif

Ah Yes! The thongs give confidence. I love them! I was soooooo glad to get rid of my granny underware. smile.gif

LADIES: Has anyone ever gotten laser hair removal on the kitty. If so, how much did it cost, were you able to tell them how you wanted it lasered off (I don't want all of the hair gone below, I like to leave a little), and how much did it hurt?

LISA1: GET THE DOC'S OPINION FIRST. Make sure he/she does not take a look and diagnose that way. Make sure he/she does a wet prep or cultures. Get tested for STD'S. Make sure you take a shower rather than take a bath because taking a bath will wash away evidence.
lisa1
Thanks Neverending,
I just had a pap and STD check a few weeks ago, all clear. I do have HSV1 but I don't think this is it - nothing like i've ever had before...I have only been with one guy since my all clear STD check and he only put his finger inside me - nothing else...
Thanks for the tip re: bath or shower. However I don't know if even a bath could make this go away, even wiping with a wet cloth doesn't make any difference.
neverending
look above!
neverending
QUOTE(lisa1 @ Feb 21 2008, 09:38 PM) *
Thanks Neverending,
I just had a pap and STD check a few weeks ago, all clear. I do have HSV1 but I don't think this is it - nothing like i've ever had before...I have only been with one guy since my all clear STD check and he only put his finger inside me - nothing else...
Thanks for the tip re: bath or shower. However I don't know if even a bath could make this go away, even wiping with a wet cloth doesn't make any difference.

Like, I don't know what you mean by : even wiping with a wet cloth doesn't make any difference. Are you saying you have a white discharge that won't go away(Inside the vagina) or just a white looking vagina (the outer part of the vagina that is supposed to be pink?). I know you said the inside of the vagina but i'm hoping your wrong because how are you washing the inside of your vagina with a cloth? I'm confused! When you see a doctor, please come back and give us an update on what you may have. I would really like to know. I've never heard that before. Did they not see this white coating when they did the pap and std tests? Anyway, don't worry. I'm sure there is a logical explaination for all of this.
sassy
Neverending: I'm in the process of getting my legs and entire bikini area lasered off. For my entire legs and entire vaginal area...it's about $2500. From the other places I looked at in my area, that is a good price. You get 10 treatments and any hair that might come back after that is treated for free. I just had my legs done for the first time last night and it didn't hurt. I was scheduled to go tonight to get my bikini area but it snowed and my appointment was rescheduled for next week. (Sucks because I want to get it over with! And you have to shave before your appointment so I got up early to shave for nothing.)

Oh, and you can get as much off as you want...just tell them. My legs didn't hurt, but you can get numbing cream (which I am anticipating using for my vagina area. Ouch!)
CarrieBradshaw
QUOTE(lisa1 @ Feb 21 2008, 02:38 PM) *
Thanks Neverending,

The V Book says that a common symptom of BV is a white or gray film that sticks to the walls of the vagina. Usually the good bacteria - lactobacilli - stick to the walls. But when bad bacteria takes over - AKA BV - the bad bacteria sticks to the walls causing the film. However, I think there are several other conditions that cause a 'film' on the vaginal wall. So, definitely get it checked by your doc. BTW -- how do you even see up there?!? I'm confused too!! One time I noticed after my bout with BV (after my Metrogel was finished), that some gray stuff came out in my normal secretions. I was assuming this was the gross film on my walls coming off finally. YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neverending
QUOTE(CarrieBradshaw @ Feb 22 2008, 02:22 PM) *
The V Book says that a common symptom of BV is a white or gray film that sticks to the walls of the vagina. Usually the good bacteria - lactobacilli - stick to the walls. But when bad bacteria takes over - AKA BV - the bad bacteria sticks to the walls causing the film. However, I think there are several other conditions that cause a 'film' on the vaginal wall. So, definitely get it checked by your doc. BTW -- how do you even see up there?!? I'm confused too!! One time I noticed after my bout with BV (after my Metrogel was finished), that some gray stuff came out in my normal secretions. I was assuming this was the gross film on my walls coming off finally. YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for clearing that up! Maybe I need to get this V book everyone is talking about because I have never heard of a film on the vagina or in the vagina. Geez, Bv is horrible. Knock on wood<--I'm glad to not have to put up with this shit anymore. Anyway, TGIF! You girls have a wonderful weekend.
kinkaju
Hello all! I'm new here and this is my first post, although I've been reading through page after page of this thread almost all afternoon! I apologize in advance for the longish post, but want to make sure I include details. rolleyes.gif

I've been experiencing this for probably about 7 years, maybe a little longer, and am so glad I found these posts and am able to hear about the experiences of other real people going through this. I've been trying to find out as much as I can about this, but there seems to be very limited information about BV in general. It pisses me off that no doctors can seem to tell us for sure what the hell even causes it! I have to admit I am not fond of doctor visits or prescribed meds, which is why I have been so interested in reading about other peoples' experiences with more natural methods of treatment, such as the boric acid, or the hydrogen peroxide, or folic acid suppliments.

I don't have the BV symptoms every single day of my life, but I seem to feel it starting almost every month, or a day or two after sex. I can always tell when it's coming too as it usually starts with a slight tingling sensation, and pretty much the next day I've got the watery discharge with a very unpleasant odor. Not only that, but the discharge causes me to feel very irritated down there! In fact, sometimes it even itches. But not the itching of a yeast infection, which I know all too well. This is more like a raw feeling that tingles. Basically, no matter how often I shower it makes me feel like I'm not clean! And that really is a blow to my confidence and totally does a number on my sex-drive.

On a positive note though, I want to know if anyone here has tried apple cider vinegar (ACV). This may have already been discussed in this thread and if so, I must have missed it and I do apologize for re-hashing something already discussed. But if it hasn't already been discussed, I would love to know if anyone else has tried the ACV because this is the only thing that has worked for me!

I originally read about the use of ACV for yeast infections on another site, although it also mentioned BV. I was desperate but was a bit nervous about trying HP or some of the other things suggested on there like tea tree oil, so here's what I did:

Every night I would take my regular full shower and get dried off, and then run a very warm bath and add ¼ to ½ cup of ACV to the bath water and sit in it for about 20 min. It was only enough water so when I sat in the bath my entire bottom was submerged. While in the bath I would gently splash the water against myself and even try to get it inside me with my hand. After the 20 minutes was up I would rinse off with warm clean water, pat dry and get dressed. This seemed to make my symptoms go away immediately that night and the next morning I felt like I was normal. There was no odor and I actually felt clean! However, as the day wore on I had the discharge and some odor show up again etc. etc so I basically did this ACV bath routine every night for like 4 or 5 nights in a row. I made it a point to include it in my nightly routine and after about a week of doing this I had no symptoms. I found this to be very soothing and I was so happy and relieved just to feel clean. You might think that the bath with ACV in it would smell terrible but it's really not bad at all, and once you're done and dried off, there is NO smell of vinegar left.

This is the only thing that has worked for me, although it hasn't been a permanent solution because I've had the BV come back the next month or two anyway. But, I now use the ACV as a kind of maintenance, like when I feel the tingly symptoms starting or if I sense a change in the odor. Sometimes in the shower I just put about an inch of ACV in a large plastic cup and then fill the rest with the shower water and do a final rinse of my vaginal area with that, both inside and out with my fingers. I sometimes do this even if I don't feel actual symptoms but if I've had sex, just as a precaution I guess. I have been able to ward off the BV symptoms by doing this. I have also used it as a douche, although diluted of course... like two tablespoons of ACV and the rest water (in a rinsed out commercial douche bottle).

I also stopped using regular SOAP down there because I was reading how soap is a base (so is semen) and that when the BV bacteria is combined with alkaline that the odor is intense. One thing I did read on line consistently was that many people noticed the odor was worse after sex, or after washing with soap. This was true for me and I noticed that when I would wash with soap (my futile attempt to wash away the horrible BV) that the odor would get worse and the irritation would get worse too. So now I use Cetaphil (or the generic version) on that area which is supposedly pH balanced and very gentle. It seems to be doing fine and doesn't produce odor.

So anyway, again I want to know if anyone else has tried ACV for their BV symptoms. Obviously this doesn't seem to be a completely permanent cure for me, but it certainly is my go-to remedy for the time being, and absolutely helps me.

Thanks guys, wink.gif

mg86
hello ladies!

welcome to everyone that is new, I too am so thankful to have found this forum too! it seems like there are several posts about people doing well! smile.gif that is certainly great news. always encouraging. I hope you all continue to see improvement.

as for me, I have a few questions.. I tried Fem-dopholus a few weeks back, I took 2 orally daily for about 2 weeks. I did not notice any difference...when I inserted one vaginally it gave off this horrible smell (i had a post about it), so I haven't tried it since.

so I decided to try "yeast arrest" which is basically boric acid capsules with some herbs...I was using them twice daily for about 2 weeks...there was no odor or discharge so I was very pleased..however (not to be tooo graphic smile.gif) but my pantyliner basically had this baby diaper look to it.. lol.. just greenish brownish discharge - very unpleasant! no smell though.

well THEN i had my glorious period, seemed to be doing ok for a few days right after...inserted a yeast arrest capsule just in case..the next day - back to my discharge and disgusting odor!! ugh! i only have a few yeast arrest left and honestly I do not want to be using them regularly because the discharge is very unpleasant and heaven forbid I be intimate with someone and they see this weird greenish paste coming out! laugh.gif

sooo - I really hate to be a bother but there are so many posts to search through regarding this - can someone outline for me the sizes of gel capsules to use for regular boric acid? and 600mg goes in each capsule, right? I'm also interested in trying tea tree oil..I looked at "lori's blog" and she said it didn't work..are you guys using capsules or a douche?

and another question - I only tried jarrow and yeast arrest for about 2 weeks...do you think it is worth trying them for a longer period? i really don't want to spend MORE money on something that won't work. I'm hoping boric acid will be basically the same - does it give you any weird discharge? I've even considered going back to the obgyn for flagyl since I haven't been on it for over a year. However I HATE flagyl so much. It makes me soo nauseous and gives my mouth a horrible taste..I can barely eat anything while I am on it.... sigh...

Thanks girls for all your help. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.