Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109
sha1
Hi Guys its Sha. I had a little trouble with my account yesterday and had to change my screen name.

Boric Acid is the best thing that's happen for me. It works like a charm and its super cheap. I have been using 2 capules every other day. I also moisten the outside of the capsules with a bit of tee tree oil. Just my personal preference.

Pepper and Sassy, will be in touch with my GOL client tomorrow. I'm sure I can get you both some Primal Defense.

mrj
I got my gel capsules at the local health food store. I had to buy 250 that was the smallest quantity they had. It was only 5.50 so not to bad compared to all the antibiotics.
I love the boric acid and hope to never have to use the antibiotics again.
chantelhugo
what isle do you get the boric acid in from walmart?
sassy
Although it took me about 3 walmarts to find it, I got my boric acid in the same aisle as hydrogen peroxide. It is not the roach killer.
chantelhugo
it seems to be highly recommeded, how are you finding it Sassy? Does it burn or anything?
d_double_u
Has anyone tried peroxide as a treatment?
sassy
It hasn't burned at all on me. The only discomfort about using boric acid is that you get a liquidy discharge while using it but it's clear and has no odor. I think it seems really easy, cheap, and I haven't had any irritation or side effects. In my opinion, it is as effective as any antibiotic and it's better since it doesn't give me a yeast infection afterwards.
chantelhugo
awesome!! gonna try it
klee
Wanted to share! The boric acid is working like aces for me. Primary reason to love it, you don't get a yeast infection afterwards (actually cures YI too) and it works after a day and I haven't used it for more than three consecutive days total. I use the 100% boric acid. It's perfectly fine. Boric acid is boric acid regardless of the touted use. If you look online, there are examples of making your own capsules and they say to use 600 mg of boric acid in the capsules. You would be getting less than 600 mg if it's cut w/something.

I don't have any side effects except the liquidy discharge. I think it's a good idea to not use it too regularly since you want your body to do it's own thing. But this is supposed to re-acidify your kitty and seems to be doing a super job on mine.
sassy
Yay, klee! My boric acid isn't 100% because I heard that was too harsh. It's still working fine for me. I think as long as your body will tolerate it, it's fine to use the 100%. I too only had to use it for about 2 or 3 nights before my symptoms were gone. I'm so glad everyone on here is having such success. :-)
jewelscando
Damn, I WANT TO GET ON BOARD with the Boric Acid. I've been to 3 different Walmarts here and can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where we can buy it online, all ready to go!!
sassy
Jewels: Did you ask anyone who worked there, or someone in the pharmacy? Boric acid is really common to have, especially in with the household items like hydrogen peroxide and first aid. It has a variety of uses and I would find it weird if you couldn't locate it somewhere in your town.
d_double_u
The only place I've seen it online is Ebay and even I found that kinda sketchy... But I feel u. I need to get on board too!!!
suczka
d double u -

I got mine by prescription, but I looked up the brand "Humco" online and I found

www.humco.com

Look under products, then "household and farm" and then go to secure order and do it there (order "boric acid powder")

Do not be intimidated by "insecticide for roaches and for fireproofing fabrics." And powder, not granular.

Looks pretty straightforward, BUT you might have to wait for it to ship. I'm not sure where to buy it at a store over the counter. I would just ask a pharmacist at your local grocery or drug store about that.

Good luck!
d_double_u
How long do you think 12 oz would last if you use it regularly?
mrj
I had to ask for the boric acid at the pharmacy and they did not have it in but they ordered it and it was in before noon the next day. I have not had any burning or other side effects just a little clear discharge.
sha1
I too have lots of clear odorless discharge with boric acid.

I bought my boric acid at a health food store for those of you who cannot find it elsewhere.
quietmadness
Treehugger:

That "funk" you're describing is most likely a reaction that happens when your body's moisture and heat mix with the leftover scents/perfumes from your laundry detergent!

I had the same thing happening when I'd squat down at work to file something in a low drawer. (That was years ago!) I'd smell that funky-pee-vinegar-sour-old-nasty like smell...I even went to the og/gyn about it. She told me to change laundry detergents to the non-scented kind...voila! No more odors.

Hope this helps,
Quietmadness
pepper
ok girls, i've told my bv suffering friend about your amazing boric acid cure. please tell me how much and how your using it, i'm oging to print it out for her. i'm so impressed with the great results you're all having, it's excellent!
jewelscando
Hey girls, the site has been down and I just got back in. Anyways, Sassy, I finally found the Boric Acid. I had to go to a Walmart, clear across town, but it was by the Peroxide, but up higher. It's called Humco Boric Acid Power. Anyways, I REALLY ready to try this!! Smell has been awfull this week, while on vacation. Talk to you all soon.
roo
Hi, ladies. I've been reading this site for a while now and just decided to join in. I'm confused about my problem. I too have a continual off-white discharge that ranges from thick to something like cottage cheese. I've been going to the doctor for years now about it, but when they test it it's NOT yeast. I've tried all the flagyl, metrogel, pills, creams etc but my problem remains. BUT I don't want to jump on the borid acid or whatever else you guys are finding helpful bc I'm scared I don't have BV-- I don't have a fishy odor, even during sex with my boyfriend. Sometimes there's an odor, but it's more like a stronger vaginal smell.

This is so gross and embarrassing to talk about but I'm young (20's) and I'm embarrassed about the discharge during sex--it always comes out all over his penis when we do it. So to avoid the embarrassment I'll go in the bathroom before sex and pretend to be using the bathroom but use my finger to clear it all out and rinse off, so when we do it none comes out. But the next day it's back as usual--sometimes worse.

I'm just so frustrated. Like many of you, my doctor seems frustrated with me and just gives me the same old prescriptions over and over, but nothing helps. Any advice? Is this BV? Anyone else having the horrible discharge-during-sex experience?
jewelscando
Quick update. Used boric acid last night, just one capsule. I bought the 00 size. And B.V. is gone today!! Damn, I wished I would have tried this sooner.

Roo: I have no idea what yours is. I have the same thing, but always have, and was never embarrassed about it. The only embarassment I've had is when it smells like Rotten shit, or Tuna Fish. You might want to think about switching doctors or go online and search something like Really Heavy Discharge, or something like that. Good luck!
roo
Jewels, how do you know that the really heavy deischarge isn't the BV? Is the BV different?
jewelscando
Well, I'm assuming it's not. B.V. usually is associated with the smell of Fish. Like Real Strong odor. After responding to you last time, I did some research, and found that heavy discharge is somewhat normal. You should try doing some research yourself, and you might find some interesting things.
roo
Thanks, Jewels! Mine is just there all the time and chunky...but I'll try anything. Really, thank you--it's so good to have someone to confide in besides my doctor who seems to just be annoyed.
mrj
Hi Ladies,
Been using boric acid for a while now and it is working wonderful. I used it everynight for a week and now only after sex. No more anitbiotics. Boric acid is the way to go. smile.gif
jewelscando
Same for me. I used it for 2 days, skipped one day, had sex, and NO SMELL. I used it again last night, and will use it the rest of this week, then only after sex after that. I FINALLY received the stupid antibiotics in the mail that I ordered online 2 MONTHS ago, but I won't use them now!! BORIC ACID IS THE WAY TO GO!!
D double U
Hey Jewels, glad to hear you're having success. Where did you buy the boric acid?
jewelscando
Finally found it at a Walmart, clear across town. It is in the same area as Peroxide, just up higher on the shelf. It's a white plastic container. Made by Humco
treehugger
Hiya. I posted a while back that I thought I was coming down with this? Well, it's official. It didn't clear up and I went to the doc yesterday. (I saw a doc that I've never seen before because I really, really wanted to get in yesterday and not have to take off work). And of course it's a hottie doctor and I'm going because of a raunchy cooch! laugh.gif Oh well.

Anyway, it's official. BV. He prescribed me metro-whatever. No alcohol whatsoever. I really, really like my beer. Decided to try the boric acid.

don't get me wrong, if i were to have to quit drinking permanently i would do so; it's just that it's summer and there are so many fun festivals i go to with friends and wisconsin is the "brats and beer" state and...oh, well. unsure.gif

I got the wrong size capsules, though, I think. I got O instead of OO. Seems like the ones I got are too small? And I could only find a bottle of roach killer that said 99% "orthoboric acid". Sort of scary but I tried it last night.

My vagina still feels sort of raw and sore. And I never really noticed a smell until later in the day so I don't know yet if it helped or not. Hopefully it did.
jewelscando
Tree Hugger, just use two instead of 1 capsule. That should do the trick. Or, go buy more 00. They are really cheap!! Good luck, hope it works!!
neverending
Man, I am so glad to see you guys again! I thought this site got shut down.Anyway, my period came on and although I have not had BV or yeast in almost 2 months it smells so bad.It's never smelled like this before! Any suggestions?
precious83
Treehugger: DO not use the roach killer boric acid. It has other chemicals in it. Its not safe for your vagina. Go see a gynecologist immediately. U might be poisioning your self. I dont see why no one else wrote u this informtaion. Girl run to the emergency room. You are only to use plain boric acid.

QUOTE(treehugger @ Jul 18 2006, 10:09 AM) *

Hiya. I posted a while back that I thought I was coming down with this? Well, it's official. It didn't clear up and I went to the doc yesterday. (I saw a doc that I've never seen before because I really, really wanted to get in yesterday and not have to take off work). And of course it's a hottie doctor and I'm going because of a raunchy cooch! laugh.gif Oh well.

Anyway, it's official. BV. He prescribed me metro-whatever. No alcohol whatsoever. I really, really like my beer. Decided to try the boric acid.

don't get me wrong, if i were to have to quit drinking permanently i would do so; it's just that it's summer and there are so many fun festivals i go to with friends and wisconsin is the "brats and beer" state and...oh, well. unsure.gif

I got the wrong size capsules, though, I think. I got O instead of OO. Seems like the ones I got are too small? And I could only find a bottle of roach killer that said 99% "orthoboric acid". Sort of scary but I tried it last night.

My vagina still feels sort of raw and sore. And I never really noticed a smell until later in the day so I don't know yet if it helped or not. Hopefully it did.

treehugger
QUOTE(precious83 @ Jul 18 2006, 01:50 PM) *

Treehugger: DO not use the roach killer boric acid. It has other chemicals in it. Its not safe for your vagina. Go see a gynecologist immediately. U might be poisioning your self. I dont see why no one else wrote u this informtaion. Girl run to the emergency room. You are only to use plain boric acid.

Thanks, precious. It did look scary to me, but it really is just boric acid...I looked at the ingredients. It said 99% orthoboric acid. And so I looked up "orthoboric" and found out it's just another name for plain ol' boric acid. The 1% was inert ingredients. Nonchemical. So, not to worry.

I appreciate your concern though.

And in other news, it seems to have worked! Even at the smaller dose. I was hesitant to use TWO capsules because it seems to me like the 00 was 1 1/2 times larger than the 0 which would give me too much, I'd guess it'd end up being around 850-900 MG per dose. I figured I'd err on the side of caution.

Anyway, no stinky cooch today! I'm going to keep following the regimen through the week. biggrin.gif

Yay!
soundthealarm
This is a pretty nasty illness that I've only experienced once. I used monistat otc, yogurt, and garlic. The garlic made me smell 10x worse, so I eventually stopped using it and stuck with monistat and yogurt. I also had more cranberry juice and orange juice (100% juice, not the 25% crap). In a weeks time, I was back to normal.
jewelscando
soundthealarm: lucky for you, you've only had it once. Myself, and most of the girls on this board have RE OCCURING B.V., which means, even after doses and doses of ANTIBIOTICS, and several other trial and error treatments, our B.V. still returns. Thank you God for Roach killer!! Actually, Thank you God for Itty Bitty Fish Head killers!! hahahaha
sassy
Hey guys! I couldn't figure out what was going on with the site...I just realized that there is a new version...I'm slow. I'm glad to hear that more people our having success with the boric acid. Jewels...I'm glad you finally found it! It took me several walmarts as well, too. I'm still doing good too. smile.gif
jewelscando
Welcome back Sassy!! It's been lonely without you here!! wink.gif Yes, everything is still going excellent for me. Boric Acic was literally a God Send. I wish I would have given in and tried it months ago. Oh well, at least I have it now!!

Great to see you back!
neverending
Man, I am so glad to see you guys again! I thought this site got shut down.Anyway, my period came on and although I have not had BV or yeast in almost 2 months it smells so bad.It's never smelled like this before! Any suggestions?

[size=4]WELL, I JUST GOT BACK FROM THE DOCTOR AND I WAS JUST TOLD I HAD A MISCARRIAGE(DID I
SPELL THAT RIGHT) sad.gif WHAT LUCK! I WAS TOLD I HAVE TO HAVE A D&C.I AM SO UPSET!I DID'NT EVEN KNOW I WAS PREGNANT! GESSSH IF IT'S NOT ONE THING IT'S ANOTHER!
precious83
neverending: I am sorry to hear you had a miscarriage. Do u think it had to do with having b.v and yeast infections? It could of also been because of zapper and the supplements u were taking. cleansings should not be done during pregnancies.

QUOTE(neverending @ Jul 20 2006, 11:05 PM) *

[size=4]WELL, I JUST GOT BACK FROM THE DOCTOR AND I WAS JUST TOLD I HAD A MISCARRIAGE(DID I
SPELL THAT RIGHT) sad.gif WHAT LUCK! I WAS TOLD I HAVE TO HAVE A D&C.I AM SO UPSET!I DID'NT EVEN KNOW I WAS PREGNANT! GESSSH IF IT'S NOT ONE THING IT'S ANOTHER!

jewelscando
I'm so sorry NeverEnding. I really am. I had 2 miscarriages within my life time, and luckily had to chalk it up to the old, "Wasn't meant to be". I did end up having 4 beautifull children, 3 boys and a girl. So, when the times right, it will happen!
pepper
dude, the zapper can NOT cause a miscarriage, nor can supplements unless you are taking way, Way, WAY too much vit c (for example). i'm absolutely certain that you meant to be helpful and supportive with your post but please, know what you're saying before you spread fear-based diagnostics. that just horrified me to even read that.

N.E., d&c really, really sucked for me. i'm so sorry for you girl. my advice is to take it so easy, ramp the self pampering up to an obnoxious level. plan to do nothing, rent movies, buy fave foods, have good friends on call, don't go in to work. it can mess with your hormones something fierce and leave you feeling cack.

take heart though, a miscarriage happens when a fetus isn't right. when you think of that way you can see what a blessing it really is. a perfect pregnancy will hopefully bless you when you want it. until then, take care sweet girl.
precious83
pepper: I wasnt trying to attack neverending. Shes been very helpful to me in the past. Im not gonna start an argument over this. Some people have had miscarriages from bacterial vaginosis. I was only asking her a question. Personally i didnt think it wasnt appropriate to ask.

Once again never ending I am sorry for your lost. I hope u are doing well. bye
jewelscando
Well, things are still going good for me. I skipped a day on the Boric acid and thought I smelt a ting of the fish the next morning so I went back on it. Had sex twice already this weekend with no smell what so ever. Sassy, is the boric acid something we need to use everyday for the rest of our life's?? I'm not sure how healthy that would be.
pepper
precious, please re-read my post. i didn't say anything at all about bv having something to do with a miscarriage, what i said had to do with the zapper and supplements having something to do with miscarriage. like i said, i'm sure that your advise was meant to be helpful

neverending, how are you doing?

girls, i'm still working on getting my friend to make the zapper but considering the effort of running around collecting supplies and help putting it all together the $100 for a pre-made one isn't looking so bad. i might just bite it and buy it for myself and make it available to my bv suffering girlfriend and see what happens.

i'm wondering about the course of treatment with the boric acid as well. how long is too long, how long is long enough?
sassy
I have read on several sites that it can be used long term (up to a year is what some said) safely. I'm not really sure. I've just been using it after sex each time and that is enough for me.
gypsyraven
I have figured out that I too am suffering from the BV. I was wondering how long does it last? I read that it is usually better to let it clear up on its own. It's been 4 weeks now. I have done the vinegar and water douche and tried using yeast infection cream. It seemed to go away after my period came but now it is back. Anyone know what causes it too?
treehugger
gypsy, have you had this before? Because if you haven't had these kinds of symptoms and have been having unprotected sex, I'd suggest that you go to a doctor. Years ago, I had exactly the same symptoms as BV but found out it was trichomonas...which is sexually transmitted. Meaning my boyfriend had to get treated.

If it's just run of the mill BV, it's an imbalance of bacteria...something's happened to upset the balance so the undesireable ones are crowding out the good ones. Sometimes when I've gotten it, it's gone away on it's own. This past time, it didn't.

I had amazing success with the boric acid.

Speaking of the boric acid, jewelscando, I am wondering if you tried skipping it one day but instead of the boric acid, you'd insert a lactobacilli (yogurt bacteria) capsule? Maybe it'd give the good bacteria a fighting chance?

Mine's been pretty well under control...five days on the boric acid...stopped it (it makes my vagina sort of sore)..but so far, fingers and toes crossed, it seems to be under control.
sassy
You guys are lucky...I wish mine would clear up on its own sometime!
bonchicfeministe
See above, I tried to edit my post and hit the wrong buttons...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.