Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109
damselindistress
QUOTE(mg86 @ Apr 15 2008, 01:29 PM) *
hey again!

I haven't been to the doctor in almost a year, but I have been diagnosed more than once with BV. Sometimes though he would say it looked like a yeast infection, but it never tested for one. Actually, when this first happened I thought it was a yeast infection (I think my BV was brought on by a long course of antibiotics). I took Diflucan a few times and did some Monistat as well. When it never went away and even got worse, this is when I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with BV.

I have had this problem (whatever it is, LOL) for a little over a year and a half. I am not sure exactly what caused it. It all started in the spring/summer 2006. I was taking antibiotics for an ear infection, and I got a classic yeast infection. This was my first infection ever. It went away fine, but several months later I got a pap test that came back positive for HPV. It was the cancerous strain so I had to do that thing where they freeze the cells, cryo something or other. Everything was fine for a few months until I got an infection again. I thought it was a yeast infection because I was on antibiotics again, but coincidentally I also had a new sex partner. We were both treated numerous times and both tested for STDs. I am no longer with that person and haven't had sex in 6 months so I am having a hard time narrowing down what the root problem is!!

How about yourself?
damselindistress
Oops, I messed up the last one. I never did read the directions on how to reply or use these blogs; I was too excited about getting in my two cents. I wonder how many of the posters have the HPV issue. I was diagnosed seventeen years ago, so young. I'd been told it went away until many years later, symptoms again. I was so confused until I found my current GYN who said our bodies never completely get rid of the virus, only suppress it, sometimes it does such a good job of suppression that it's undetectable on their tests. SO many women are carrying it and never even know, scary. I have a thick vaginal discharge.....like the white stuff that sticks to the edge of the egg yolk when you crack it - not the clear egg white. You know what I mean, right? Every once in a while, I'll get an itch and when I check, there it is hanging out at the opening to my va-jay-jay. Nurse practicioner says slight infection when she looks under the microscope and gives me prescription for BV treatment. Culture says NOTHING abnormal, no bacteria or anything. WTF? It doesn't smell either, just gets thick and sometimes itches. I really think this is just vaginitis related to an STD, not bacteria. With so many of us scratching our heads and the virus being SO common and often undetectable.....maybe that's why some of us can't get any relief. This virus is rearing its ugly head, reminding us it's still there. HPV sucks.
sooo sad
hi mg86...
yeah...when i say i feel better, there isn't that much discharge as before. when i say before i mean before i took fem d. before the discharge would just freaking drip...drip...and then drip some more...all day long. it wouldn't come out like a period but it would just drip all day and it's milky looking, but it would also get thick, white, and gooey too. i guess it was the hormones in my body...ya know with period thing and all that. i also had like an itch and an "uncomfortable" feeling. i can't really describe it but i know i wasn't feeling normal.
how long did you take flagyl? mg? times per day? in january i took flagyl for 10 days, 3 times a day, 500mg. when i was finished i was told to go back to the dr and get retested with the "affirm" and it was gone but i knew something wasn't right cause i still had discharge...and then 3-4 weeks later it came back. i'm thinking maybe cause i wasn't taking fem d. i found this forum about 2 weeks ago and i'm so grateful!!! due to this forum i found out about fem d and bought it the next day...45 min drive but worth it.
i'm wondering...have you been tested to confirm bv? you should ....my opinion anyways. i've heard that trich and chlamydia looks like bv. not trying to scare you hun, but just thought i'd let you know.
i'm keeping my fingers crossed for us....we will bet this!!
Italianwife88
Hey guys! I was wondering who has tried Tinamax and what the outcome was for you? I read that there is like 40% cure rate? thats crazy low and my doctor was adamant about me trying it first....? Today is my second- out of five days and I havent noticed like a difference yet. It leaves a really bad metallic taste in my mouth for a few hours after i take it, its disgusting. This was my first realy Gyno visit because I just got insurance. Also has anyone ever tried Loestrin 24 fe? It's a free sample of birth control my doctor gave me, I've never used BC before and I'm afraid of the side effects, ive heard alot of bad stories about BC. He also recommended I use rephresh for symptoms, does that work for anyone?

thanks in advance guys!

-christina
lori
QUOTE(Italianwife88 @ Apr 16 2008, 10:59 AM) *
Hey guys! I was wondering who has tried Tinamax and what the outcome was for you? I read that there is like 40% cure rate? thats crazy low and my doctor was adamant about me trying it first....? Today is my second- out of five days and I havent noticed like a difference yet. It leaves a really bad metallic taste in my mouth for a few hours after i take it, its disgusting.

Tindamax is a new-ish drug. I've never taken it, but as far as I know, it's in the same class as flagyl, and also has similar side effects (metallic taste, don't mix with alcohol, etc.) The only advantage I can see so far for taking Tindamax is that you only need to take it for 5 days vs. 7 for flagyl.

I also don't understand why this is a good drug for BV - when the cure rate on its own site is below 40%.

http://www.tindamax.com/Product/Efficacy.aspx

QUOTE(Italianwife88 @ Apr 16 2008, 10:59 AM) *
This was my first realy Gyno visit because I just got insurance. Also has anyone ever tried Loestrin 24 fe? It's a free sample of birth control my doctor gave me, I've never used BC before and I'm afraid of the side effects, ive heard alot of bad stories about BC. He also recommended I use rephresh for symptoms, does that work for anyone?

It's basically a lubricant that's designed to be applied deep in the vagina (comes in an applicator), and stay up there for up to 3 days. It has the right pH, so it's supposed to help get your vagina back to a healthy pH.

A lot of women in here have tried it, but I think the verdict on Rephresh is that it doesn't help, but it doesn't hurt. (Pretty expensive, though. I think it's $20+ for 4 applications.)

Personally, I was very excited about Rephresh, because it's an OTC product designed for people with BV issues, among other things. It just seemed like someone is paying attention to our problem. Too bad it doesn't really do anything. And you get so little product for so much money, and I don't like the way the applicator works. (It's impossible to squeeze out all of the product.)

Other than that, though, I do like the product. If I ever have dryness issues, I would use it again. (Or Replens, made by the same company.)

But I think the reason the product doesn't really do anything is because (as I've said recently) - manually acidifying the vagina doesn't really accomplish anything. Low pH is a symptom of BV (and other problems), but not the cause.

Getting your period raises your pH, having unprotected sex raises your pH - but these are very normal events, and you can't avoid them forever. In my opinion, a healthy vagina should be able to bounce back without getting an infection after something normal happens. The presence of good bacteria is what keeps your vagina acidic, so if you have the good bacteria, they will get your vagina back down to a healthy pH, after sex or menses.

So I think focusing on simply changing the pH on the vagina with outside means is not the right approach, and historically, just hasn't worked. I don't think it hurts to simply use a lubricant with the right pH (like Rephresh), but don't expect much more.
damselindistress
QUOTE(neverending @ May 9 2006, 05:03 PM) *
Mela:I have suffered with B.V. for 4yrs. and I think it all started when I got off Birth Control LO/OVRAL.I know how you feel!I have been doing a lot of research this week and I have come up with a conclusion. <BR>Here it is: <BR>Birth control tricks the body into thinking it is pregnant by using higher doses of estrogen.I have never read the paper that came along with the pack of birth control until this week and here is what it states: <BR> Birth control may deplete or interfere with the absorption or function of the nutrient. Taking these nutrients may help replenish them. Folic acid <BR> <BR>Magnesium* <BR> <BR>Vitamin B1* <BR> <BR>Vitamin B12* <BR> <BR>Vitamin B2* <BR> <BR>Vitamin B3* <BR> <BR>Vitamin B6 <BR> <BR>Vitamin C* <BR> <BR>Zinc* <BR>reduction/prevention—Taking these supplements may help reduce the likelihood and/or severity of a potential side effect caused by the medication. Folic acid <BR> <BR>Vitamin B6 <BR> <BR> May be Beneficial: Supportive interaction—Taking these supplements may support or otherwise help your medication work better. Folic acid* <BR> <BR> Avoid: Adverse interaction—Avoid these supplements when taking this medication because taking them together may cause undesirable or dangerous results. St. John’s wort* <BR> <BR>Tobacco <BR> <BR> Check: Other—Before taking any of these supplements or eating any of these foods with your medication, read this article in full for details. Calcium <BR> <BR>Copper <BR> <BR>Iron <BR> <BR>Manganese <BR> <BR>Vitamin A <BR>Interactions common to many, if not all.(WHY WAS I NOT TOLD.) <BR>Interactions with Dietary Supplements <BR>Folic acid <BR>Oral contraceptive (OC) use can cause folic acid depletion.1 In a double-blind trial of OC users with cervical dysplasia, supplementation with very large amounts (10 mg per day) of folic acid improved cervical health.2 Women with cervical dysplasia diagnosed while they are taking OCs should consult a doctor. Mega-folate supplementation should not be attempted without a doctor’s supervision, nor is there any reason to believe that folic acid supplementation would help people with cervical cancer. <BR> <BR>Iron <BR>Menstrual blood loss is typically reduced with use of OCs. This can lead to increased iron stores and, presumably, a decreased need for iron in premenopausal women.3 Premenopausal women taking OCs should have their iron levels monitored and talk with their prescribing doctor before using iron-containing supplements. <BR> <BR>Magnesium <BR>Women using OCs were found to have significantly lower serum magnesium levels in a controlled study.4 In a preliminary study, blood levels of magnesium decreased in women taking an OC containing ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel.5 Although the importance of this interaction remains somewhat unclear, supplementation with 250–350 mg of magnesium per day is a safe and reasonable supplemental level for most adults. <BR> <BR>Vitamin B6 <BR>Oral contraceptives have been associated with vitamin B6 depletion and clinical depression. In a small, double-blind study of women with depression taking OCs, vitamin B6 (20 mg twice per day) improved depression.6 Half of the women in the study showed laboratory evidence of vitamin B6 deficiency. <BR> <BR>Other nutrients <BR>A review of literature suggests that women who use OCs may experience decreased vitamin B1, B2, B3, B12, C, and zinc levels.7 8 9 OC use has been associated with increased absorption of calcium and copper and with increased blood levels of copper and vitamin A.10 11 12 OCs may interfere with manganese absorption.13 The clinical importance of these actions remains unclear <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> Birth control may deplete or interfere with the absorption or function of the nutrient. Taking these nutrients may help replenish them. Folic acid <BR> <BR>Magnesium* <BR> <BR>Vitamin B1* <BR> <BR>Vitamin B12* <BR> <BR>Vitamin B2* <BR> <BR>Vitamin B3* <BR> <BR>Vitamin B6 <BR> <BR>Vitamin C* <BR> <BR>Zinc* <BR> <BR> May be Beneficial: Side effect reduction/prevention—Taking these supplements may help reduce the likelihood and/or severity of a potential side effect caused by the medication. Folic acid <BR> <BR>Vitamin B6 <BR> <BR> May be Beneficial: Supportive interaction—Taking these supplements may support or otherwise help your medication work better. Folic acid* <BR>The people that produce birth control know that their products are unhealthy for women but they continue to profit off of us. <BR>Birth control causes an estrogen dominance and that can lead to many horrible side effects that we have INCLUDING CERVICAL DYSPLASIA. <BR>Here is something else that might help: <BR>http://www.energeticnutrition.com/vitalzym..._dominance.html <BR> <BR>http://www.energeticnutrition.com/vitalzym..._dominance.html <BR> <BR>http://www.natureshealthypeople.com/explai..._dominance.html <BR> <BR>http://www.energeticnutrition.com/vitalzym/myomin.html <BR> <BR>http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/progesterone-cream.html <BR> <BR>http://www.natural-progesterone-advisory-network.com/symptoms-of-estrogen-domina nce.php://http://www.natural-progesterone-adv...-domina nce.php <BR> <BR>http://www.womentowomen.com/symptoms.asp <BR> <BR>Birth control throws your body off track(hormonal imbalance) so we need to balance the body and put those missing minerals back in our system.Also B.V occurs when the acidity of the vagina changes.Notice how birth control depletes all of the things our body needs to stay acidic.Coincidence maybe? I THINK NOT AND I AM PISSED MY DOCTOR DID NOT TELLL ME ABOUT ALL OF THIS BEFORE HAND.Thank God I can read and do my own research.I just hate it's taken 4yrs. to piece everything together.I have been B.V. free for a week and a half.I just need to stick to the program and pray that the B.V. isn't smart enough to catch on to my program and become super B.V. <BR>Sorry this is so long but it might help! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Neverending:
Did you ever whip this BV thing with vitamin supplements? Please say yes, please say yes. I didn't feel like reading through 185 more pages to find the answer.
Italianwife88
Thanks Lori! It seems to be working so far... I'm just afraid once I stop taking it, it might just come back like everything else i've tried. I really really hope im that 40 percent. Tindamax does like almost a 100% cure for trich thats what it was made for i guess oh and GI tract.
lori
QUOTE(Italianwife88 @ Apr 17 2008, 01:45 PM) *
Thanks Lori! It seems to be working so far... I'm just afraid once I stop taking it, it might just come back like everything else i've tried. I really really hope im that 40 percent. Tindamax does like almost a 100% cure for trich thats what it was made for i guess oh and GI tract.

You're welcome, Italianwife. Yeah, you should always take *all* your antibiotics (unless there's a really good reason to stop, and your doctor agrees.) Using antibiotics a little bit here and to relieve symptoms is what causes resistant strains of bacteria!

Good luck. I'm glad it looks like it's working. Keep us updated.
CanCan
QUOTE(lori @ Apr 15 2008, 02:17 PM) *
May I ask - what are you referring to?
So the decrease in good bacteria is what causes --> the thinning of the vaginal skin --> which leads to BV?

That's definitely new. May I ask - where do you get that info?

It's my understanding that:

the decrease in good bacteria is what causes --> BV

As far as I know, BV is about bacterial imbalance. I'm not sure what the thinning of the vaginal skin has to do with it.

I thought that the thinning of the vaginal skin/walls can happen because of estrogen-loss (leading to atrophic vaginitis). I've never heard of the thinning happening because of the decrease in good bacteria. How does that happen? I also don't understand how the thinner walls cause BV.

Thinning of the vaginal skin has a lot to do with everything. And the thinning of the mucosa membranes on that skin. Whether it is vaginally, or intestinally. So the thinning of the vaginal skin may decrease in good bacteria adhesion, which may cause BV, but not necessarily in that order. It can happen the other way around too. (BV causes the lining of the vagina to shed, so you may see some discharge resulting from the 'shedding of the vaginal epithelium', I will post a quote here later for everyone to read when I have time to do this.) Lets say a woman undergoes extreme stress, or radiation therapy, or poor diet, or a gastrointestinal disorder like IBS, or some illness, or lets say gets an infection that requires broad spectrum antibiotics, the mucosal membranes of her body become compromised and thinner. Once the thinning of these layers start, a woman has a larger chance of picking up BV. Because the epithelium feeds the good bacteria with glycogen, which they then turn into lactic acid. As the beneficial bacteria grow and develop colonies on the skin, the skin physically becomes thicker, and healthier. And more moist.. a healthy vagina should always have a bit of clear mucous coming out of it to flush out toxins and bad bacteria. And the thicker mucosa and vaginal walls make it harder for the bad bacteria to adhere.
neverending
QUOTE(CanCan @ Apr 18 2008, 01:18 AM) *
Thinning of the vaginal skin has a lot to do with everything. And the thinning of the mucosa membranes on that skin. Whether it is vaginally, or intestinally. So the thinning of the vaginal skin may decrease in good bacteria adhesion, which may cause BV, but not necessarily in that order. It can happen the other way around too. (BV causes the lining of the vagina to shed, so you may see some discharge resulting from the 'shedding of the vaginal epithelium', I will post a quote here later for everyone to read when I have time to do this.) Lets say a woman undergoes extreme stress, or radiation therapy, or poor diet, or a gastrointestinal disorder like IBS, or some illness, or lets say gets an infection that requires broad spectrum antibiotics, the mucosal membranes of her body become compromised and thinner. Once the thinning of these layers start, a woman has a larger chance of picking up BV. Because the epithelium feeds the good bacteria with glycogen, which they then turn into lactic acid. As the beneficial bacteria grow and develop colonies on the skin, the skin physically becomes thicker, and healthier. And more moist.. a healthy vagina should always have a bit of clear mucous coming out of it to flush out toxins and bad bacteria. And the thicker mucosa and vaginal walls make it harder for the bad bacteria to adhere.

Wow, you are starting to do the same research I did. That's how I found my cure or shall I say, figured out my cure.
lori
QUOTE(CanCan @ Apr 17 2008, 05:18 PM) *

CanCan,

You keep saying that thinning vaginal walls causes BV. That is just plain false. It causes atrophic vaginitis, which is not BV, and requires different treatment.

Please look up the word "atrophic" or "atrophy" in the dictionary.
CanCan
QUOTE(lori @ Apr 17 2008, 10:51 PM) *
CanCan,

You keep saying that thinning vaginal walls causes BV. That is just plain false. It causes atrophic vaginitis, which is not BV, and requires different treatment.

Please look up the word "atrophic" or "atrophy" in the dictionary.

No, I did not say that thinning vaginal walls causes BV. I am saying that the thinning of the vaginal walls 'may' cause BV. And often does. Douching 'may' cause BV. Antibiotics 'may' cause BV. Hormonal imbalance 'may' cause BV. Dehydration 'may' cause BV. Numerous things may cause BV. In fact, if you are unfortunate enough to have numerous of these occurances at the same time, then you have a higher likelihood of developing BV or a yeast infection. Also, I am saying that the thinning of the mucose membrane which is part of the vaginal wall can become thinner for numerous reasons.

Atrophic Vaginitis - is vaginitis with severe tissue atrophy usually associated with estrogen deficiency. Yes many women get atrophic vaginitis and need to treat that in order to eliminate their BV. But I am not talking about that. I am talking about general mucosa health. Mucosa membranes in our reproductive organs, our intestines, our eyes, our sinuses, etc.

[ Definition: Mucous membrane
Mucosa is moist tissue that lines some organs and body cavities throughout the body, including your nose, mouth, lungs, and digestive tract. Glands along the mucosa release mucus (a thick fluid).

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002264.htm ]

Thinning of the walls of the mucosa can happen numerous ways. You took antibiotics. Or you have a hormonal imbalance. Or you haven't had sex in a while. (You don't use it - you lose it.) Or even if you are on antihistamines for your allergies. For example, if you take antihistamines often because of an allergic condition you may have, you will dehydrate all of your mucose membranes. Certain medications like antihistamines or decongestants can interfere with your vaginal moisture. If the mucose membranes become dryer and thinner, or rubbed off, they can not support growth of the lactic acid bacteria. If the mucosa is too depleted, it has a harder time to build up again probiotic colonies, it will take longer. As well, adequate mucose is important for vaginal flushing of pathogens. (I will post something later about mucose membranes, and the incidence of HIV.)

[ There are a variety of medications that can cause vaginal dryness.

Some medications lead to vaginal dryness by altering estrogen levels, while others can directly dry out the mucous membranes. Some types of medications that can lead to vaginal dryness include:

* Cancer treatments (e.g. Tamoxifen)
* Treatments for Vaginosis (e.g. Metrogel)
* Antihistamines (which dry out the mucous membranes)
* Treatments for Urinary Tract Infections
* Anti-depressants (e.g. Effexor)
* Medications for ulcers and high blood pressure

http://sexuality.about.com/od/sexualsideef...svaginaldry.htm ]

[ Vaginal dryness is an extremely common problem for young women, and the problem only increases with age. Women might notice feminine dryness around their monthly periods with tampon use; after childbirth or while nursing their baby; during times of stress, or after excessive exercise like jogging.

http://www.hitchedmag.com/article.php?id=374 ]

And if you have vaginal dryness and/or compromised vaginal mucosa, this isn't necessarily hormonally driven. It seems that most conditions can be helped, each situation is unique though, and you have to first determine which factor is dehydrating you, irritating you, or causing the inflammation. And you may have to stop taking your other medications, or change them. You may have to change your excercise regimine. You may have to eliminate stress. Stress alone can make a woman extremely dry, so finding a way to deal with stress will eliminate the problem, or at least reduce it.
lori
QUOTE(CanCan @ Apr 18 2008, 02:51 PM) *
Atrophic Vaginitis - is vaginitis with severe tissue atrophy usually associated with estrogen deficiency. Yes many women get atrophic vaginitis and need to treat that in order to eliminate their BV.

Huh?

Women who get atrophic vaginitis will need to get treatment to treat ... their atrophic vaginitis, obviously. Why do you keep shoehorning BV in there?

And no source I've read about atrophic vaginitis says that it's "severe" atrophy. It just means thinning vaginal skin, period (usu. caused by hormones), and the problems that causes.

You keep talking about thinning vaginal skin, and how that affects the membrane - which is exactly what atrophic vaginitis IS, literally - and you keep insisting that you're not talking about atrophic vaginitis? You are not making any sense.

You are at least the 4th poster lately who is insisting that thinning vaginal skin and hormone-loss has anything to do with BV. It just doesn't. It is a different problem that requires different treatment.

This confusion is obviously very wide-spread and persistent. The fact that some of you have tried (literally) about 50 BV/yeast remedies including prescriptions and have experienced no relief - might be an indication that you might just be barking up the wrong tree.

BV isn't some catch-all term for vague things wrong with the vagina. (That would be "vaginitis." As in "atrophic vaginitis." Wow I'm so sick of typing that!)

Unfortunately, a lot of problems are often mis-diagnosed as BV. We have both anecdotal and clinical evidence of that. So it doesn't hurt to consider other possibilities after a while.

I've made more than enough effort to try and make my point clear. So ... it's out there. As always, judge for yourselves.
lori
sooo sad
hi lovely ladies....

was wondering ...is bv associated with our diets?

mg86....how are you doing hun? haven't heard from ya.

sooo sad
neverending
QUOTE(CanCan @ Apr 18 2008, 10:51 PM) *
No, I did not say that thinning vaginal walls causes BV. I am saying that the thinning of the vaginal walls 'may' cause BV. And often does. Douching 'may' cause BV. Antibiotics 'may' cause BV. Hormonal imbalance 'may' cause BV. Dehydration 'may' cause BV. Numerous things may cause BV. In fact, if you are unfortunate enough to have numerous of these occurances at the same time, then you have a higher likelihood of developing BV or a yeast infection. Also, I am saying that the thinning of the mucose membrane which is part of the vaginal wall can become thinner for numerous reasons.

Atrophic Vaginitis - is vaginitis with severe tissue atrophy usually associated with estrogen deficiency. Yes many women get atrophic vaginitis and need to treat that in order to eliminate their BV. But I am not talking about that. I am talking about general mucosa health. Mucosa membranes in our reproductive organs, our intestines, our eyes, our sinuses, etc.

[ Definition: Mucous membrane
Mucosa is moist tissue that lines some organs and body cavities throughout the body, including your nose, mouth, lungs, and digestive tract. Glands along the mucosa release mucus (a thick fluid).

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002264.htm ]

Thinning of the walls of the mucosa can happen numerous ways. You took antibiotics. Or you have a hormonal imbalance. Or you haven't had sex in a while. (You don't use it - you lose it.) Or even if you are on antihistamines for your allergies. For example, if you take antihistamines often because of an allergic condition you may have, you will dehydrate all of your mucose membranes. Certain medications like antihistamines or decongestants can interfere with your vaginal moisture. If the mucose membranes become dryer and thinner, or rubbed off, they can not support growth of the lactic acid bacteria. If the mucosa is too depleted, it has a harder time to build up again probiotic colonies, it will take longer. As well, adequate mucose is important for vaginal flushing of pathogens. (I will post something later about mucose membranes, and the incidence of HIV.)

[ There are a variety of medications that can cause vaginal dryness.

Some medications lead to vaginal dryness by altering estrogen levels, while others can directly dry out the mucous membranes. Some types of medications that can lead to vaginal dryness include:

* Cancer treatments (e.g. Tamoxifen)
* Treatments for Vaginosis (e.g. Metrogel)
* Antihistamines (which dry out the mucous membranes)
* Treatments for Urinary Tract Infections
* Anti-depressants (e.g. Effexor)
* Medications for ulcers and high blood pressure

http://sexuality.about.com/od/sexualsideef...svaginaldry.htm ]

[ Vaginal dryness is an extremely common problem for young women, and the problem only increases with age. Women might notice feminine dryness around their monthly periods with tampon use; after childbirth or while nursing their baby; during times of stress, or after excessive exercise like jogging.

http://www.hitchedmag.com/article.php?id=374 ]

And if you have vaginal dryness and/or compromised vaginal mucosa, this isn't necessarily hormonally driven. It seems that most conditions can be helped, each situation is unique though, and you have to first determine which factor is dehydrating you, irritating you, or causing the inflammation. And you may have to stop taking your other medications, or change them. You may have to change your excercise regimine. You may have to eliminate stress. Stress alone can make a woman extremely dry, so finding a way to deal with stress will eliminate the problem, or at least reduce it.

I agree with you on this one also. Great Research! A+
I think other people are doing things the traditional way, but it takes looking outside of the box to figure this one out and again, you've done a great job.
JoanClayton
Delurking: What is your plan of action CanCan? It seems like you, Neverending and Lori should all write a comprehensive book together...And cure all women!!!!!!

Where is Pianogirl? How are you doing with your BV? (Just curious. Last I read you said you didn't have it anymore. (I think)).
lori
lori
QUOTE(JoanClayton @ Apr 20 2008, 11:42 AM) *
Delurking: What is your plan of action CanCan? It seems like you, Neverending and Lori should all write a comprehensive book together...And cure all women!!!!!!

That's really nice of you to say. But oh my, you couldn't be more ... off.

Maybe I've been too civil and polite to get my point across.

I think CanCan is completely full of shit. I'm not sure if she just doesn't know what she's talking about, or if she's just pulling things out of her ass trying to cover up for the fact that she's said some ridiculous things.

- When I ask her to cite her sources, she randomly cites sources that have nothing to do with my question.
- She even says, "Loss of good bacteria causes thinning vaginal skin." I asked her to back this up, and she can't.
- She keeps talking about all the problems that thinning vaginal walls causes. When I realize that she doesn't know what "atrophic" means, I point out to her that "atrophic vaginitis" literally means "problems caused by thinning vaginal walls." She still insists that that's not what she's talking about.

CanCan just making stuff up, at this point.

Neverending is a known liar. IIRC, she made up a dictionary definition to try and save face.

I've found that both women are willing to say ANYTHING. Why would anyone do this? We're all trying to share helpful information here, aren't we? I think they really need to set their ego aside.

I've been wrong many times (blog and board). This is a complicated topic where even doctors don't know everything, so of course everyone makes mistakes. And when people point out my mistakes or wrong info, I always go back and correct myself because the most important thing is to make sure the right information is out there.

Also, I'm very open to other points of view and theories. But there are other theories, and then there's bullshit and ego. When people start making shit up and lying, that is officially bullshit and ego, which I have no respect for.

Sorry to respond this way, JoanClayton. You're just being nice, and probably didn't expect me to go off like this. But I guess I really have been too nice.

--

As far as helpful books: you really can't go wrong by reading The V Book, written by Dr. Stewart, asst. prof. at Harvard Med. It contains a lot of basic information about vaginal health that would be good for every woman to know. Please also read my blog, which is a compendium of useful stuff from this whole thread. I need to update it, but it's a good way to get the jist of the useful info from this thread without the bullshit and ego.
JoanClayton
quietmadness
I ordered the Femdophilus and got it the other day. The ice pack inside was completely melted and warm, but I threw it in the fridge immediately.

Been taking it now for four days. We'll see.... mellow.gif

Also---still a faithful user of the tto and boric acid. They work nicely for what they are. I'll keep y'all posted on the Fem-doph thing. I'm just so PISSED that I paid for the 2nd day shipping thing and STILL it was hot!!

Dammit!

--Quiet--
neverending
QUOTE(JoanClayton @ Apr 20 2008, 09:58 PM) *

Joan Hun, Go back through the posts and see who here is full of ego and everything else. Go back through the posts. We've even booted her from the board before and she just came back and is still starting BULLSHIT. We are all here to share info and experiences but someone on this board likes to bully people into doing thinks her way all the time. *HINT, HINT* I understand where CANCAN is coming from and her research is valid. Another girl on this forum (PIANOGIRL) tried this method we speak of and has cured herself too. Look her up and ask/email her yourself. I also cured myself from this crap and I did about 1 year and a half worth of research. Sounds like something is working. Don't cha think?!
neverending
QUOTE(lori @ Apr 20 2008, 09:31 PM) *
That's really nice of you to say. But oh my, you couldn't be more ... off.

Maybe I've been too civil and polite to get my point across.

I think CanCan is completely full of shit. I'm not sure if she just doesn't know what she's talking about, or if she's just pulling things out of her ass trying to cover up for the fact that she's said some ridiculous things.

- When I ask her to cite her sources, she randomly cites sources that have nothing to do with my question.
- She even says, "Loss of good bacteria causes thinning vaginal skin." I asked her to back this up, and she can't.
- She keeps talking about all the problems that thinning vaginal walls causes. When I realize that she doesn't know what "atrophic" means, I point out to her that "atrophic vaginitis" literally means "problems caused by thinning vaginal walls." She still insists that that's not what she's talking about.

CanCan just making stuff up, at this point.

Neverending is a known liar. IIRC, she made up a dictionary definition to try and save face.

I've found that both women are willing to say ANYTHING. Why would anyone do this? We're all trying to share helpful information here, aren't we? I think they really need to set their ego aside.

I've been wrong many times (blog and board). This is a complicated topic where even doctors don't know everything, so of course everyone makes mistakes. And when people point out my mistakes or wrong info, I always go back and correct myself because the most important thing is to make sure the right information is out there.

Also, I'm very open to other points of view and theories. But there are other theories, and then there's bullshit and ego. When people start making shit up and lying, that is officially bullshit and ego, which I have no respect for.

Sorry to respond this way, JoanClayton. You're just being nice, and probably didn't expect me to go off like this. But I guess I really have been too nice.

--

As far as helpful books: you really can't go wrong by reading The V Book, written by Dr. Stewart, asst. prof. at Harvard Med. It contains a lot of basic information about vaginal health that would be good for every woman to know. Please also read my blog, which is a compendium of useful stuff from this whole thread. I need to update it, but it's a good way to get the jist of the useful info from this thread without the bullshit and ego.

Now that you are back on the board, Please act like an ADULT. We don't need people bringing childishness to the board! People are here to share info. You were doing so good but lately it seems that you have gone back to your old ways. As far as me being a liar, it seems my "LYING" has helped cure one other person ont his board. AGAIN, how many people have you cured?.....................NONE! I thought so. Please stop with the AD hominem. Now, say it with me..........I will be an adult, I will be an adult, I will be an adult.
neverending
QUOTE(damselindistress @ Apr 17 2008, 07:53 PM) *
Neverending:
Did you ever whip this BV thing with vitamin supplements? Please say yes, please say yes. I didn't feel like reading through 185 more pages to find the answer.

Sorry it took me sooo long to respond. I didn't see this post. I used estroil to rid myself of this crap. I still have vaginal dryness but no smell or discharge.
neverending
Ladies new to the board please pay Lori no mind. She is a shit starter here.

Want proof:

jewelscando:
Lori....

I was reading through the post today, and thought...wow...I can't believe they are fighting again...AND LOW AND BEHOLD...ITS FUCKING YOU AGAIN STARTING SHIT!!!

Fuck you Lori...YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO SAY SHIT ABOUT ME, OR BRING UP MY NAME. I have stayed away, like I said I would...and you're still fucking bad mouthing me.

arj75:
I don't know what the hell happened in here today. Why is this forum no longer a support group? I'm really pissed. Lori, you really need to lose the know it all attitude it's fucking annoying as hell.

anitsirhc:
lori, you don't seem to like this board very much. you've said more than once that you thought people's ideas were "stupid" and you think everyone is wrong. so then WHY ARE YOU HERE?! if you hate it so much, then LEAVE! you never have anything good to say. all you do is bash everything everyone else says. you don't like the board, nobody here likes you so just go! stop writing and pissing everyone off, you're no help at all.

neverending:
Lori: Have you ever wondered why people jump on you? Because you are full of shit and people can see it. You have come here looking for PRAISE! You are a control freak and you have not come here to help but to tear people down and make them feel worse then they already feel.

lapis :
Hi. I am sorry Lori, but the assertions you make in your post are inaccurate and damaging for those who seek alternatives.

Just look back at how many people wanted her gone!
lori
QUOTE(neverending @ Apr 20 2008, 03:52 PM) *
Ladies new to the board please pay Lori no mind. She is a shit starter here.

Want proof:

jewelscando:
Lori....

I was reading through the post today, and thought...wow...I can't believe they are fighting again...AND LOW AND BEHOLD...ITS FUCKING YOU AGAIN STARTING SHIT!!!

Fuck you Lori...YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO SAY SHIT ABOUT ME, OR BRING UP MY NAME. I have stayed away, like I said I would...and you're still fucking bad mouthing me.

Awww, the good old days!

Neverending, you and I both know that jewelscando and I have gotten far past our differences. We both recognize in each other that we want to help others. I, for one, never engaged in the name-calling, but Jewels has been cool enough to be the one to extend the olive branch first, and I appreciate that.

See, THAT'S being an adult. Putting our differences aside for the good of others. You, obviously, do not know anything about that.

Instead of dragging other people's drama into this, and "starting shit" (ironic!) between other people for your own selfish reasons, why don't you just think about what the best thing for this group is?

I don't know. Just a suggestion.
Morphia
Well, glad to let everyone know that the vitamin D has NOT worked. So, my deficiency is not the cause. Fuck it all. I now smell like old sour cream and curdled milk and sex is still painful. I've got chronic vulvitis now because of this shit. Now, whenever I have sex it either just hurts like hell or I rip open. That's right. I get tears down there b/c of the chronic vulvitis. I even got a gash from the bottom of my vagina to the top of my anus from sex. I just LOVE THIS SHIT! And, another ultimate "fuck you": The creams they give me to treat the vulvitis just make the BV worse. HAHAHA! I LOVE IT!
neverending
QUOTE(lori @ Apr 21 2008, 01:01 AM) *
Awww, the good old days!

Neverending, you and I both know that jewelscando and I have gotten far past our differences. We both recognize in each other that we want to help others. I, for one, never engaged in the name-calling, but Jewels has been cool enough to be the one to extend the olive branch first, and I appreciate that.

See, THAT'S being an adult. Putting our differences aside for the good of others. You, obviously, do not know anything about that.

Instead of dragging other people's drama into this, and "starting shit" (ironic!) between other people for your own selfish reasons, why don't you just think about what the best thing for this group is?

I don't know. Just a suggestion.

Like I said before, GROW UP! Nobody here will bow to you. If you treat people with respect, others will treat you with respect.
lori
QUOTE(quietmadness @ Apr 20 2008, 02:53 PM) *
I ordered the Femdophilus and got it the other day. The ice pack inside was completely melted and warm, but I threw it in the fridge immediately.

Also---still a faithful user of the tto and boric acid. They work nicely for what they are. I'll keep y'all posted on the Fem-doph thing. I'm just so PISSED that I paid for the 2nd day shipping thing and STILL it was hot!!

Dammit!

--Quiet--

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe buying the Fem-doph online, even with cold-pack shipping, is such a good idea after all. It's cheaper, but is it worth it?

My opinion: don't throw away the bottle. My first couple bottles of Fem-doph were bought from vitacost.com - and were never refrigerated. (I called them to ask where they kept it - and they said it was in an air-conditioned warehouse, so it should be okay. Whatever.) It also wasn't shipped in a cold-pack, so it spent some time cooking in a hot UPS truck. But it still helped me feel better.

Maybe Whole Foods is the only way to go, for now. It costs more, but at least we know it's kept in the fridge.
konphusion26
Dayum ladies, it got a lil ugly in here for a minute **slippin on my referee shirt and whistle** TIME OUT!! laugh.gif

Update: been taking the femflora (cheaper/comparable alternative to fem-D) religiously like 3 or 4 capsules per day. I have only done the boric acid once in the last 2 weeks. And lo and behold it seems to be working since i've doubled up on the femflora. I'm excited!!!! Im glad I bought two bottles cuz i've almost run through one in like 3 wks. LOL Oh well, if it works, i'll continue buying two at a time. I'm sick of this BV/Yeast merry-go-round I've been on the last 3 yrs. Hopefully this will work.
sassy
You guys are not helping anyone by fighting. Everyone's body is different, and therefore everyone will respond differently to different things. I think we need to all agree to respect the methods each individual woman is using. It's great that Lori has gotten rid of her BV with the Fem D, but some woman have tried it and it hasn't helped. This means it's not a cure or remedy for everyone and other treatments should be respected as well. We're all on the same side here... unsure.gif
CanCan
Vaginal problems can arise because of numerous factors together. Dehydration not drinking enough water, hormones, poor diet, even lack of sex.. I was talking about other factors which can effect your vaginal hydration, and the thickness of your mucosa. If you have allergies and take an antihistamine for example, many women will have vaginal dryness. Therefore this would contribute to any other vaginal issues if you have them already. For example, I have allergies, and this time last year I was taking antihistamines. Did this contribute to my BV? I would venture to say yes, maybe it was a factor. Along with a few other things for me, like douching. Of course, I am only talking about my bv experience, and perhaps no one else here on this forum has hydration issues. I am only listing these things incase it may help someone else. Right off the Pfizer website they state antihistamine adverse reaction of dryness:

[ http://www.pfizer.com/files/products/uspi_benadryl.pdf ]

[ Diphenhydramine hydrochloride (trade name Benadryl as produced by Johnson & Johnson, or Dimedrol outside the U.S. & Canada. Nytol as a sleeping pill) is an over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamine.

Side effects:
▪ Dryness of the nose and throat, heartburn
Eye:
▪ Dryness of the eyes, redness of the eyes, yellowing of the eyes
Gastrointestinal:
▪ Constipation, nausea
Urogenital and reproductive:
▪ Urinary retention, sexual dysfunction, vaginal dryness, decreased libido

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphenhydramine ]
quietmadness
About the Fem-doph, no I didn't throw it away, I threw it in the fridge! tongue.gif One thing I can say for the Fem-Doph supplements...they do in fact seem to slow down the damnable discharge. Which is awesome.

As far as smell...I've been keeping that at bay so well with the boric, that I haven't noticed a change as far as odor goes, yet.

--Quiet--
damselindistress
QUOTE(neverending @ Apr 20 2008, 06:39 PM) *
Sorry it took me sooo long to respond. I didn't see this post. I used estroil to rid myself of this crap. I still have vaginal dryness but no smell or discharge.

Hallelujah....so you guys CAN see me! I've posted three times without a single reply, thought I was invisible, giving up. You're young, Neverending, aren't you? I thought estrogen only needed to be replenished with menopause. What the heck do I know? I'm 34 and my girl parts are just the opposite of dry, too wet. I'm so confused. I used the Clindesse, it, whatever IT is (see previous posts if you care to), came back, tried to wait it out to go away on its own. Tried Flagyl vaginally for the first time. Last day of dosage, started spotting. Is this from the Flagyl or the freakin' Seasonique I recently started taking? I started taking the Seasonique to avoid the period so often - in case that was causing the BV. Wouldn't you know it, side effect break-through bleeding made me spot for 21 days. I'm on my second month of Femdophilus, trying to prevent the spotting from turning into BV. I've got HPV lurking in my body, don't know if that's doing it.....just don't know....just like everyone else. Thanks for listening and thanks for acknowledging me!
- damselindistress
P.S. I'm about to start taking something called DIM, a natural supplement. In doing my HPV research, I found this is supposed to keep the virus/cancer in check, regulate your estrogen, and maybe even help guys/girls lose a little weight to boot. There are clinical trials going on seeing how helpful it is in keeping cancer (prostate, cervical, breast) at bay, could be the miracle I've been looking for!
lori
QUOTE(sassy @ Apr 21 2008, 04:01 AM) *
You guys are not helping anyone by fighting.

I'm not here to fight. I think that is clear.

But I think this group is a lot better off now, than when I first joined. There was plenty of fighting already. And people were shoving anything and everything up their vaginas, mail-ordering stuff from scam artists, and newbies who asked "dumb" questions were bullied. A lot of this crazy shit has stopped. There were some people with ugly attitudes along the way, but I think rational thought prevailed in the end (for the most part, anyway).

Like I said, I'm not here to fight. I think you know that, Sassy. But you know what? Fighting happens. For example, I first spoke out because newbies were being bullied, and then it was like ... 10 pages of cussing and fighting. Which is lame, but after that, no newbies are bullied. Worth it? Not really, but at least no newbies are being bullied now.

So I guess I disagree that no one is being helped by this fighting. I think it's important for people to know that hormone-related vaginitis is NOT BV. I didn't expect 5 pages of fighting, but that's what happened. But as long as some people got that information, I guess that's just the way it has to be sometimes.

You know, I'm always polite and cordial when I first question anyone. But if they're assholes about it ... well, that's not my problem.

Everyone's body is different, and therefore everyone will respond differently to different things.

While that is true, I think that kind of thinking is responsible for some of the too-risky stuff that's been tried in this group. Narrowing down the possible causes/treatments is more useful than simply throwing your hands up and saying, "Well, I guess my body's just different, so I'll just try shoving whatever up there, and see what happens!"

There is definitely a jump-on-the-bandwagon mentality in this group. I think everyone is desperate for a cure, so I can understand. But it tips over into irrational territory once in a while. Example: Someone touts vitamin B as a solution, and everyone gets excited. (I didn't say anything about that, because I don't think taking vitamins hurts, and if it turns out to work for someone, that's great.) So far, that's fine, but then you've got people planning to mail-order liquid vitamin B so they can start injecting themselves with it. Okay ... whoa. Why so crazy?

I think we need to all agree to respect the methods each individual woman is using.

Not everything someone tries is a good idea, and not every method deserves respect. Respect is earned. (And so is contempt, for that matter.) Anyone can do whatever they want with their bodies, period. But if they're going to advocate a treatment to others, I don't think it's so wrong to ask for some research.

Do you think every method is sacred and no one can ever question it? As I said before, if your method is good, it will withstand scrutiny. If it's a good method, people will recognize it.

Ultimately - why does it matter, either way? If it works for you, than it works for you. Why does anyone need other people to use it, too?

If something works for someone, then that's not enough, for some reason. Simple telling people "this works for me" isn't enough for some people. They seem to need others to use it, too. They need their method to be validated or something. So they push it hard and try to get everyone to jump on the bandwagon. Simple sharing the info. isn't enough, they make inflated claims about their product/methods. It's a little weird.

Combine that with a bunch of people desperate for a cure, and then you've got people mail-ordering crap from the internet from crackpots. And no, I don't think that's a good thing. I do not "respect that method."

All I'm saying is that people should be more cautious, that's all.

It's great that Lori has gotten rid of her BV with the Fem D, but some woman have tried it and it hasn't helped. This means it's not a cure or remedy for everyone and other treatments should be respected as well. We're all on the same side here... unsure.gif

I don't think everyone is on the same side, actually. I think some people obviously care more about being right, than about other people's health. Those people make stuff up, and even lie.

Also, I've been very careful to not say Fem-D is a cure-all. Since I have problems with anyone saying, "This is IT, people!" - and getting everyone to jump on the bandwagon, why would I do the same thing? So I've never gone around shilling Fem-D as The Answer.

But you know what? It's been over a year. And it's helped a lot of people. So I think it's finally safe to say - "This is IT, people!" Jump on the Fem-D bandwagon!

Everyone who has had the best, most long-term results in this group have taken Fem-D as part of their regimen. It's safe, and it's got the best research behind it. All signs point to Fem-D being the treatment that makes the most sense.

In the entire history of this group, people have tried 100's of things. And nothing has worked, on average, as well as Fem-D.

Is it the perfect cure? Nah, too early to say. But I think I can safely say that it's definitely on the right track.
neverending
QUOTE(damselindistress @ Apr 21 2008, 05:10 PM) *
Hallelujah....so you guys CAN see me! I've posted three times without a single reply, thought I was invisible, giving up. You're young, Neverending, aren't you? I thought estrogen only needed to be replenished with menopause. What the heck do I know? I'm 34 and my girl parts are just the opposite of dry, too wet. I'm so confused. I used the Clindesse, it, whatever IT is (see previous posts if you care to), came back, tried to wait it out to go away on its own. Tried Flagyl vaginally for the first time. Last day of dosage, started spotting. Is this from the Flagyl or the freakin' Seasonique I recently started taking? I started taking the Seasonique to avoid the period so often - in case that was causing the BV. Wouldn't you know it, side effect break-through bleeding made me spot for 21 days. I'm on my second month of Femdophilus, trying to prevent the spotting from turning into BV. I've got HPV lurking in my body, don't know if that's doing it.....just don't know....just like everyone else. Thanks for listening and thanks for acknowledging me!
- damselindistress
P.S. I'm about to start taking something called DIM, a natural supplement. In doing my HPV research, I found this is supposed to keep the virus/cancer in check, regulate your estrogen, and maybe even help guys/girls lose a little weight to boot. There are clinical trials going on seeing how helpful it is in keeping cancer (prostate, cervical, breast) at bay, could be the miracle I've been looking for!

No your not invisible. LOL........I was 19 when this problem started. I stopped taking my Lo/Ovral Birthcontrol and BAM, the problems started. I told doctor's this did not start for me until after I had stopped the birth control and they kept brushing me off like I didn't know what I was talking about. They kept testing me for STD'S and they came out neg. from 19-24. Then I started doing my own research and finally last year I figured out what the problem was and fixed it with estoril/estrogen. Lo/ovral is a estrogen lowering birth control, so I guess it threw me into menopause. I had dry eyes, hot flashes, very bad acne, weight gain you wouldn't believe,etc.
P.s. Oh, I'm 25 now!

As far as your HPV, Have you heard of beta-mannan? (sp?) I heard this product was supposed to be good. I hope everything works out for you. Next time we ignore you (lol) write in caps. smile.gif
damselindistress
QUOTE(neverending @ Apr 21 2008, 03:15 PM) *
No your not invisible. LOL........I was 19 when this problem started. I stopped taking my Lo/Ovral Birthcontrol and BAM, the problems started. I told doctor's this did not start for me until after I had stopped the birth control and they kept brushing me off like I didn't know what I was talking about. They kept testing me for STD'S and they came out neg. from 19-24. Then I started doing my own research and finally last year I figured out what the problem was and fixed it with estoril/estrogen. Lo/ovral is a estrogen lowering birth control, so I guess it threw me into menopause. I had dry eyes, hot flashes, very bad acne, weight gain you wouldn't believe,etc.
P.s. Oh, I'm 25 now!

As far as your HPV, Have you heard of beta-mannan? (sp?) I heard this product was supposed to be good. I hope everything works out for you. Next time we ignore you (lol) write in caps. smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestion, one more thing to research, beta-mannan. I'm addicted to research, I swear, can't stop. I'd like to think I'm being pro-active, looking for a solution, certainly not obsessive/crazy. Did you have any hormone testing done? Is there such a thing? Now that you mention it - I often wake up with night sweats and I do have the occasional hot flash, never really thought about it. My doctor might throw me out if I ask for one more test.
neverending
QUOTE(damselindistress @ Apr 21 2008, 08:57 PM) *
Thanks for the suggestion, one more thing to research, beta-mannan. I'm addicted to research, I swear, can't stop. I'd like to think I'm being pro-active, looking for a solution, certainly not obsessive/crazy. Did you have any hormone testing done? Is there such a thing? Now that you mention it - I often wake up with night sweats and I do have the occasional hot flash, never really thought about it. My doctor might throw me out if I ask for one more test.

No, I didn't do any hormone tests. I asked one doctor for a hormone test and he said he doubts it was my hormones and did a thyroid test instead. Smart move right? I'll tell ya, I told every doctor that I had, that this was hormonal and like I said before they all brushed me off like I didn't know my body or that I didn't know what I was talking about. Oh, and night sweats were the worst. I woke up some nights and my pillow was soaked in sweat and YES i told the doctors about all of this.
lori
QUOTE(damselindistress @ Apr 21 2008, 12:57 PM) *
Did you have any hormone testing done? Is there such a thing?

Yes, there is such a thing. Go see an endocrinologist.

QUOTE(damselindistress @ Apr 21 2008, 12:57 PM) *
Now that you mention it - I often wake up with night sweats and I do have the occasional hot flash, never really thought about it.

Oh, crikey.
sooo sad
hello ladies!

half way through my flagyl + femd and the discharge was like 95% gone, then my period started 2 days ago. hopefully everything will be okay though. i will be finished with the flagyl on fri. i don't want to get my hopes up too high but i'm feeling really good....

sooo sad
CarrieBradshaw
QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Apr 20 2008, 10:30 PM) *
Dayum ladies, it got a lil ugly in here for a minute **slippin on my referee shirt and whistle** TIME OUT!! laugh.gif

Update: been taking the femflora (cheaper/comparable alternative to fem-D) religiously like 3 or 4 capsules per day. I have only done the boric acid once in the last 2 weeks. And lo and behold it seems to be working since i've doubled up on the femflora. I'm excited!!!! Im glad I bought two bottles cuz i've almost run through one in like 3 wks. LOL Oh well, if it works, i'll continue buying two at a time. I'm sick of this BV/Yeast merry-go-round I've been on the last 3 yrs. Hopefully this will work.

That IS exciting!!!! I'm lovin my FemD, but it did just jump up to 17 dollars on iHerb.....keep us updated on how you're doing with it!!
CarrieBradshaw
QUOTE(quietmadness @ Apr 20 2008, 04:53 PM) *

Dammit!

--Quiet--

Can I ask you where you got your FemD from? Just want to make sure I don't get mine from the same place.....

I've ordered twice from iHerb, and it's been cold when I got it....
sooo sad
hahahaha carriebradshaw.....i know i know. very juicy!!!!!
lori
QUOTE(neverending @ Apr 21 2008, 01:26 PM) *
No, I didn't do any hormone tests. I asked one doctor for a hormone test and he said he doubts it was my hormones and did a thyroid test instead. Smart move right?

But isn't that a hormone test?

Doesn't a thyroid produce hormones?

QUOTE(neverending @ Apr 21 2008, 01:26 PM) *
I'll tell ya, I told every doctor that I had, that this was hormonal and like I said before they all brushed me off like I didn't know my body or that I didn't know what I was talking about.

Obviously, you don't.

--

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroid

The thyroid is one of the largest endocrine glands in the body. This gland is found in the neck inferior to (below) the thyroid cartilage (a.k.a. the Adam's apple in men) and at approximately the same level as the cricoid cartilage. The thyroid controls how quickly the body burns energy, makes proteins, and how sensitive the body should be to other hormones.

Knowledge is a good thing.
mg86
Hey girls

WOW I haven't been here in a few days, and geez it has really gotten crazy. If it's going to stay like this, I probably won't come here anymore. I used to be able to log on, read through a few fairly brief posts about members' progress/ideas and now I have to scroll through huge posts of arguing and bickering about the cause of BV, the cure of BV, what works for someone, how someone worded this, etc. etc. It is very annoying. Just for my 2 cents, I have also noticed that none of this was happening before Lori came back on the board. I mean sometimes I am thinking what do you want a medal or something??? For all the research you have done? We are all suffering and not all of us have the same education background or information, not all of us have the time to research til the sun comes up. I feel as though many of her (your) posts have been condescending and clearly I am not the only one who feels this way - so obviously something is up. For awhile now I have thought I would stay out of it and not cause more conflict, but it sure is difficult. I just feel so annoyed reading through what's on here from the last several days.

sooo sad - I saw your post on the next page - I'm doing ok, thanks! I see you seem to be doing better and that is great. Keep us/me updated. I am not sure how I am doing to be honest. The discharge seems to be changing from what it was 1 week ago (makes me think perhaps it is the normal fluctuation of discharge throughout my monthly cycle). Also, something I have noticed is, that if I smell on my underwear it smells "normal" (like how I remember it smelling before any of this happened)...but when I smell it direct it smells different (I have never smelled it direct before this though). Does anyone else know what I mean?

Anyway I am taking femd and acidop. each day, I have been meaning to get one of those ph kits but they are so expensive.
lori
QUOTE(mg86 @ Apr 21 2008, 04:11 PM) *
Just for my 2 cents, I have also noticed that none of this was happening before Lori came back on the board.

You don't know what you're talking about.

The reason I ever spoke up in the first place on this board is that regular posters in here were being very rude to newbies. (Read the thread before 5/2007.) Some of them would ask the same questions over again about topics that have been discussed, so the regulars would get sick of answering them, and would snap at them and say stuff like "Read the whole thread before you ask questions!" or even "Your suggestion sucks! You don't know anything!"

I thought that was a real turn-off, so I wrote up a blog to help people review the thread quickly, and not ask the same questions. But that didn't help at first, so I spoke up. And then a bunch of fighting and cussing followed. But at least that shit doesn't happen anymore.

Anyway, maybe you should find out the truth before sticking your nose into other people's fights.

QUOTE(mg86 @ Apr 21 2008, 04:11 PM) *
I mean sometimes I am thinking what do you want a medal or something??? For all the research you have done?

I don't know. Do you want a medal for whining about my condescending tone?

I don't do any of this for credit. But obviously, I have helped other people feel better. So that's cool. What I don't appreciate is accusations about how condescending and negative I am, when I have really done a lot to get rid of the negative shit in this thread.

No, I don't want a fucking medal. I would just prefer not to be unfairly accused.

Think about it, mg86. What are you trying to accomplish by calling me out like this? You're just picking a fight with me. So you're contributing to the "negative" tone of this thread that you find so annoying. That is hypocritical.

Or maybe you just want me to leave? Because that is not a problem for me.

--

Last time I left without a big flounce, but I do want to say some final words:

- atrophic vaginitis. It's different thing from BV. Knowing this will save some people a lot of time. An open mind is not a bad thing.
- acidifying the vagina. Just doesn't work, based on anecdotal evidence. Rephresh, aci-jel, vitamin C, vinegar ... none of them have been magic bullets. Nothing wrong with trying it, but temper your expectations, and be skeptical about inflated claims.
- fem-dophilus. It's helped quite a lot of people. I think it's the closest thing to a magic bullet so far. Resist the urge to stick it in your va-jay-jay's.
- the v book. Not a magic bullet, either, but worthwhile.

(Oh, why do I fucking bother.)

Eh, whatever. But still - Focus on probiotics and always use stuff as directed!

Bye-bye! cool.gif
neverending
QUOTE(lori @ Apr 21 2008, 10:53 PM) *
But isn't that a hormone test?

Doesn't a thyroid produce hormones?
Obviously, you don't.

--

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroid
Knowledge is a good thing.

Here we go ladies! Lori is here to start shit once again. your period must be on because you have been acting like a bitch for quite sometime now. Like I said before, ACT LIKE A GROWN ADULT.
neverending
QUOTE(mg86 @ Apr 22 2008, 12:11 AM) *
Hey girls

WOW I haven't been here in a few days, and geez it has really gotten crazy. If it's going to stay like this, I probably won't come here anymore. I used to be able to log on, read through a few fairly brief posts about members' progress/ideas and now I have to scroll through huge posts of arguing and bickering about the cause of BV, the cure of BV, what works for someone, how someone worded this, etc. etc. It is very annoying. Just for my 2 cents, I have also noticed that none of this was happening before Lori came back on the board. I mean sometimes I am thinking what do you want a medal or something??? For all the research you have done? We are all suffering and not all of us have the same education background or information, not all of us have the time to research til the sun comes up. I feel as though many of her (your) posts have been condescending and clearly I am not the only one who feels this way - so obviously something is up. For awhile now I have thought I would stay out of it and not cause more conflict, but it sure is difficult. I just feel so annoyed reading through what's on here from the last several days.
sooo sad - I saw your post on the next page - I'm doing ok, thanks! I see you seem to be doing better and that is great. Keep us/me updated. I am not sure how I am doing to be honest. The discharge seems to be changing from what it was 1 week ago (makes me think perhaps it is the normal fluctuation of discharge throughout my monthly cycle). Also, something I have noticed is, that if I smell on my underwear it smells "normal" (like how I remember it smelling before any of this happened)...but when I smell it direct it smells different (I have never smelled it direct before this though). Does anyone else know what I mean?

Anyway I am taking femd and acidop. each day, I have been meaning to get one of those ph kits but they are so expensive.

Hun, the board is like this every time Lori comes here. If you read back this board was a real support group until she came along trying to bully folks and that's why a lot of the old people left the board.
lori
QUOTE(neverending @ Apr 21 2008, 05:31 PM) *
Here we go ladies! Lori is here to start shit once again. your period must be on because you have been acting like a bitch for quite sometime now. Like I said before, ACT LIKE A GROWN ADULT.

Yeah, but ... am I wrong?

You had a thyroid test, and you didn't even know that's a hormone test!

I knew you were a liar, and I knew you were dumb. But I didn't know you were THAT dumb.

Please stop hurting yourself, and other people with your ignorance.
sciongal
wow, Lori, you are soooooo crazy. Think about it...if so many people are disgruntled about the way you come across on this forum, does'nt that give you any kind of a red flag, or maybe you just don't give a shit about how anyone else feels. Maybe that makes you feel better about yourself... And if that's the case maybe you should exit the board, or even start your own forum...that way there is NO DOUBT that it is LORI's forum and whomever wishes to be your captive audience may do so. That way the rest of us can really learn and support each other in this condition without pretending to be helpful while actually being condescending and arrogant.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.