Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109
lori
QUOTE(Meg18 @ Apr 30 2008, 05:58 AM) *
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I only joined because I found this thread...

Maybe someone here can help me.

I went to my doctor about a month ago, told her my symptoms (white, gooey discharge, burning) and she told me that I probably had a yeast infection. I took the pill she prescribed me, and it didn't do anything. Then I went to the GYN and she told me it was bacterial vaginosis, because of the fishy smell. I took those pills, and the discharge has slowed considerably, but the smell is still there!
I don't know what to do...

A second problem --
I'm 18 and have never had sex..
I want to with my boyfriend but I'm scared to because of the smell unsure.gif and I don't know what he'll do. I've never let him go down on me becuase of it... If theres any way to get rid of the smell, I would LOVE to hear about it...

Thanks soo much..

Hey Meg18,

I highly recommend Fem-dophilus. Many ladies in this group (incl. me) have had great results. Here's an excerpt from my blog. It's not updated, but it will give you some basic info.:

Fem-Dophilus (Jarrow)
  • Cons: expensive
  • Conclusion: So far, the this is the most promising and effective product. All the members who have had the best, long-term results have used Fem-Dophilus as a part of their regimen. Highly recommended, based on the research and anecdotal evidence. Buy it refrigerated for maximum potency. (Unfortunately, posters have reported that the bottle arrives warm, even if they select expedited shipping from online merchants who offer cold-packs. So it looks like buying it directly from Whole Foods is the best option.)

sooo sad
meg 18,

i agree with lori...alot of the women here have had good results with the femdophilus by jarrows.

good luck!!!
sooo sad
hi ladies...

well, another bv update...

the discharge is better but it's still there....i'm gonna say about 10% still there. i just feel "wet" most of the time. i'm wondering should i do maintanence? i'm kinda confused right now. i was soo excited but i hope i wasn't too excited. this is kinda the same thing that happened the last time i took flagyl back in january.....but the discharge isn't as much as before. i hope it doesn't come back.....i'm seriously thinking about tto twice a week as maintanence. suggestions please!!!

sooo sad
ambercat1977
I joined just to let you all know what has worked for me. I have had chronic bv/yeast infections as long as I can remember. Of all the things I have tried, boric acid works the best for both conditions. You can buy it for dirt cheap at a pharmacy (you may have to ask a pharmacist, as mine keeps it behind the counter). Then fill an empty gel cap (you can get these at pharmacies or health food stores) and insert vaginally at bed time. When I start to feel either bv or a yeast infection coming on, I use this for 1 or 2 nights and it goes away (for a while anyways lol). For an infection that is already in full swing you might want to do it for as many as 5 nights.

A couple of warnings about the boric acid... I have read that some women are sensitive to it, and find it burns, so you may want to to a little test "dab" before inserting an entire capsule. I have never had any problem with it at all, but I would hate to be responsible for someone else's burning discomfort. Secondly, this treatment can be kinda messy, which is why I do it at night, and you will still want to wear a panty liner or something the next day. Lastly, everything I have read suggests that you don't use boric acid while you're pregnant.

I hope this helps someone as much as it has helped me.
maxcindy
I've had bouts with BV for the last 5 years. Usually went to my doctor, was given a prescription for clindamycin, finished the medicine and waited for the next bout. I have a copay of $50 for the dr visit, another copay of 20% for my meds (usually my out-of-pocket expense was about $15) and factor in my time going to the dr and pharmacy, dealing with reocurring BV gets to be expensive. I finally thought there had to be another way of treating this. My dr never mentioned holistic therapies. After researching online I decided to try the garlic clove method (with a little hesitancy I might add). I took one peeled clove, wrapped it in a piece of sterile gauze (you know the kind you buy at the drugstore in the first-aid aisle) and pushed up into my vagina. I did a course of continual garlic clove (changing to a fresh clove/gauze every 6 hours) for 3 days straight, then switched to only at night fo the next 3 days. I was amazed to find that the BV completely cleared up! No smell, no discharge, the irritation was gone (labia and urethra) and I felt NORMAL. The cost? A bulb of garlic was $1.27 and the roll of sterile gauze was $3.97. I didn't want to overkill on therapy, but I did follow-up one week later with a 50/50 hydrogen peroxide douche. Now I plan to react fast with the garlic therapy at the faintest hint/whiff of another BV attack! smile.gif

CarrieBradshaw
QUOTE(sooo sad @ May 1 2008, 08:19 AM) *
hi ladies...

well, another bv update...

the discharge is better but it's still there....i'm gonna say about 10% still there. i just feel "wet" most of the time. i'm wondering should i do maintanence? i'm kinda confused right now. i was soo excited but i hope i wasn't too excited. this is kinda the same thing that happened the last time i took flagyl back in january.....but the discharge isn't as much as before. i hope it doesn't come back.....i'm seriously thinking about tto twice a week as maintanence. suggestions please!!!

sooo sad

I didn't feel "normal" for a long time after the flagyl, but I even went to my gyno about 2 weeks after the flagyl and she said I was all clear. Maybe it's just me, but it took me a while to feel 100% normal again.....but, if you still feel sick, might wanna check with the gyno. Sorry, I know how absolutely frustrating that is!!!!!!!!!
jewelscando
QUOTE(ambercat1977 @ May 1 2008, 03:52 PM) *
I joined just to let you all know what has worked for me. I have had chronic bv/yeast infections as long as I can remember. Of all the things I have tried, boric acid works the best for both conditions. You can buy it for dirt cheap at a pharmacy (you may have to ask a pharmacist, as mine keeps it behind the counter). Then fill an empty gel cap (you can get these at pharmacies or health food stores) and insert vaginally at bed time. When I start to feel either bv or a yeast infection coming on, I use this for 1 or 2 nights and it goes away (for a while anyways lol). For an infection that is already in full swing you might want to do it for as many as 5 nights.

A couple of warnings about the boric acid... I have read that some women are sensitive to it, and find it burns, so you may want to to a little test "dab" before inserting an entire capsule. I have never had any problem with it at all, but I would hate to be responsible for someone else's burning discomfort. Secondly, this treatment can be kinda messy, which is why I do it at night, and you will still want to wear a panty liner or something the next day. Lastly, everything I have read suggests that you don't use boric acid while you're pregnant.

I hope this helps someone as much as it has helped me.

Thank you to both new girls for their information on their experiences. Once again ladies... please be carefull with the Boric Acid!!! I was alergic to it and developed a rash on my arms and forehead, that left scars.

Also, to repeat what Lori has said over and over, your goal here should be to take and keep away B.V. Boric Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide wash's just mask the problem, with it only to return after your next period, or days later. Garlic cloves have also been tried on this board, with good results, however NOT LASTING results.

If you've taken the time to search B.V. and have found this site, then you are serious about finding a cure for youself. Hopefully, you will take the time to read through the threads and save yourself the time and money by not doing what others have already tried, that did not work LONG TERM.

I'm still a believer in the TTO suppossitories. I've been BV free for some time now. And I haven't had to use it after sex anymore. HOWEVER, I do NOT know, if it was the TTO that took it away, or if my body just changed. I suffered with BV for about 6yrs straight, then used TTO and now it's gone. But I'm also close to 40yrs old, have had a hysterectomy (no Peroids) and have reduced the stress levels in my life.

I think there's many different reasons woman get BV. The goal is to find the ROOT of the problem and fix that. So far, I feel Lori's suggestion of the Doctors visit, with the correct prescription, along with use of the Fem-dophilus is the best, most logical way to go.
quietmadness
Hey y'all!

Just a quickie check in to let you know that as of taking the fem-doph for two full weeks, I am without a smell and excessive discharge! biggrin.gif

I took one pill for about 5 days, just to let my body "get used" to the new bacteria. Then I switched to taking 2 every morning. I can remember to take it pretty easily, because I reach for my water pills at the same time, haha!

Plus----I've used the boric acid caps on and off since January and they work well for getting rid of odor, but not for the discharge. THIS WEEK, I have used one ba gelcap. That's it. Nothing else!

For the past two days, (sex on Tuesday) I've had no smell other than the normal, sea water vinegary smell that is mine. No discharge other than what's normal. I haven't been running to freshen up, haven't had to wear a pantiliner either.

I have to say, if this keeps up, this stuff has effectively killed whatever bad shit was up in there and has balanced out the wetness factor, smell, everything. I will have to write to the manufacturer to let them know if this keeps working well. I will never be without that stuff ever again!

--Quiet--
neverending
QUOTE(maxcindy @ May 1 2008, 06:49 PM) *
I've had bouts with BV for the last 5 years. Usually went to my doctor, was given a prescription for clindamycin, finished the medicine and waited for the next bout. I have a copay of $50 for the dr visit, another copay of 20% for my meds (usually my out-of-pocket expense was about $15) and factor in my time going to the dr and pharmacy, dealing with reocurring BV gets to be expensive. I finally thought there had to be another way of treating this. My dr never mentioned holistic therapies. After researching online I decided to try the garlic clove method (with a little hesitancy I might add). I took one peeled clove, wrapped it in a piece of sterile gauze (you know the kind you buy at the drugstore in the first-aid aisle) and pushed up into my vagina. I did a course of continual garlic clove (changing to a fresh clove/gauze every 6 hours) for 3 days straight, then switched to only at night fo the next 3 days. I was amazed to find that the BV completely cleared up! No smell, no discharge, the irritation was gone (labia and urethra) and I felt NORMAL. The cost? A bulb of garlic was $1.27 and the roll of sterile gauze was $3.97. I didn't want to overkill on therapy, but I did follow-up one week later with a 50/50 hydrogen peroxide douche. Now I plan to react fast with the garlic therapy at the faintest hint/whiff of another BV attack! smile.gif

I've heard of this before and I've wondered why none of the girls here tried it or has anyone tried it? I can't remember! lol.....Anyway, I'm glad this method worked for you. Thanks for sharing! smile.gif
kristen
Not really anything is happeneing with me bv wise. just wanted to touch base here is has been a while. i didn't have the internet for a couple weeks i was moving. i'm all settled and trying to catch up with all the posts. i'm off to work now i will read the rest later just wanted to say hello. had anyone started taking that other probiotic someone was talking about it a couple weeks back. the one with the same strains as fem d but it was supossed to be cheaper. anyway any luck?
kristen
one more thing. quietmadness i know your picture is old and all, but that things is great. its true a picture is worth a thousand words.
lori
QUOTE(kristen @ May 3 2008, 02:54 PM) *
had anyone started taking that other probiotic someone was talking about it a couple weeks back. the one with the same strains as fem d but it was supossed to be cheaper. anyway any luck?

Oh yeah, that was called:
Swanson Ultra FemFlora Probiotic

I'm curious to know what happened, too. (Also, is this the only place they sell FemFlora?)
kristen
swanson makes it? i was looking at all their stuff a while back, but this one is new right? i'm going to just have to go look it up. i would try taking it but i am not really noticing any real problems right now so i'm afraid i wouldn't see a difference. plus i still have alot of the fem d. maybe in a couple weeks i will try it.
yme30
Hi all been away a few weeks and I guess my timing is quite good because I was reading some past post and I was like "WHOA" when did this forum turn into Jerry Springer ohmy.gif Seems like all has calmed down so I guess I'll move on too.

My BV is still present and I notice when I am anxious its even worse I am starting to wonder if my frequent anxiety issues has anything to do with my BV flare ups any answers or solutions? Be good everyone.
konphusion26
QUOTE(lori @ May 4 2008, 12:44 AM) *
Oh yeah, that was called:
Swanson Ultra FemFlora Probiotic

I'm curious to know what happened, too. (Also, is this the only place they sell FemFlora?)

Hey ladies. I've been using the FemFlora - and I must say no bv in a while... HOWEVER, I have severe hormonal issues (that are being checked out right now) and I keep getting yeast infections, like back to back. Its depressing, but at least its not bv. I'm going to continue taking the FemFlora. I reckon it works! lol
neverending
QUOTE(yme30 @ May 4 2008, 04:36 PM) *
Hi all been away a few weeks and I guess my timing is quite good because I was reading some past post and I was like "WHOA" when did this forum turn into Jerry Springer ohmy.gif Seems like all has calmed down so I guess I'll move on too.

My BV is still present and I notice when I am anxious its even worse I am starting to wonder if my frequent anxiety issues has anything to do with my BV flare ups any answers or solutions? Be good everyone.

I have anxiety. I have SA and overall GA. It sucks! I have panic attacks, nervousness, etc. I'm going to try meditation starting next week at this center here. I hear it works very well for anxiety. I also heard about Reiki . They have a certification class, I think the end of the month, that I was going to try to attend. Anyway, I think staying as calm and stress free is the way to go. I think stress, anxiety, and depression may be factors as far as bv is concerned.
sooo sad
QUOTE(CarrieBradshaw @ May 1 2008, 04:46 PM) *
I didn't feel "normal" for a long time after the flagyl, but I even went to my gyno about 2 weeks after the flagyl and she said I was all clear. Maybe it's just me, but it took me a while to feel 100% normal again.....but, if you still feel sick, might wanna check with the gyno. Sorry, I know how absolutely frustrating that is!!!!!!!!!

hi carriebradshaw....

thanks for your reply....yeah, i'm gonna get another affirm test done towards the end of the month to see how things are. i'm still taking fem d 2 pills in the morning but i also added primdophilus reuterui (?) to take at night. it's only been a little over a week since i finished treatment, so hopefully i'm like you and it's not the bv coming back. i still have discharge but it's little and i still don't need to wear a pantiliner like i did before. hopefully everything will be okay...

sooo sad
sooo sad
hey guys.....

just contacted swanson about the flemflora and they don't ship with ice packs and they're located in north dakota....but it's much cheaper than fem d....like $10 something for 30 caps compared to $17 something for femd. i was wondering do you guys think that it's a good idea to take flemflora and fem d together? i'm thinking it would be cheaper than just taking femd...it's pretty expensive!!!!

sooo sad
yme30
QUOTE(neverending @ May 4 2008, 11:17 PM) *
I have anxiety. I have SA and overall GA. It sucks! I have panic attacks, nervousness, etc. I'm going to try meditation starting next week at this center here. I hear it works very well for anxiety. I also heard about Reiki . They have a certification class, I think the end of the month, that I was going to try to attend. Anyway, I think staying as calm and stress free is the way to go. I think stress, anxiety, and depression may be factors as far as bv is concerned.

Wow Neverending I too have SA and GA with a touch of BV. laugh.gif I am going to see the doctor about my anxiety and make yet another appointment with my doc concerning my BV. I am simply tired of this crap.
neverending
QUOTE(yme30 @ May 6 2008, 02:41 AM) *
Wow Neverending I too have SA and GA with a touch of BV. laugh.gif I am going to see the doctor about my anxiety and make yet another appointment with my doc concerning my BV. I am simply tired of this crap.

Yeah, it sucks! I was depressed but I'm over that now. I've been feeling upbeat and happy lately. Now all I have to do is get over this damn anxiety. I missed the meditation day due to another death in the family but I will try to go next week. They say meditation is better than anxiety medication. I guess I'll report back in a month or so to tell you whether or not it works.
jewelscando
Some very interesting information... not sure how it applies to us... but.. you never know....

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/medical/tmau.htm
quality312
hello ladies i have been lurking for a while and finally decided to join since i dont have anyone else to talk to. i was recently treated for my bv back in feb. at my local planned parenthood. they gave me flagyl and things seemed to clear up nicely, but now its back. i was wondering if there is a place where i can order flagyl online because i am a broke college student with no insurance and no job. i wanted to try and take it with the fem-dophilus.
sooo sad
QUOTE(quality312 @ May 9 2008, 07:07 PM) *
hello ladies i have been lurking for a while and finally decided to join since i dont have anyone else to talk to. i was recently treated for my bv back in feb. at my local planned parenthood. they gave me flagyl and things seemed to clear up nicely, but now its back. i was wondering if there is a place where i can order flagyl online because i am a broke college student with no insurance and no job. i wanted to try and take it with the fem-dophilus.

hi hun!

i personally would not buy flagyl online but i know some of the ladies here have and have had results but just wanted to let you know that flagyl at a walmart pharmacy is only $4.00. maybe it's cheaper than gettin it online. i also know that at local health departments they help the low income individuals that need it. hope this helps...and remember when you take femd...twice a day while on flagyl. i did that and i am still doing it now. i will probably continue to for about 3 months then i will take one for maintanence.

good luck hunnie.....sooo sad
KristyG29
So I"ve had BV since the birth of my Son 9 months ago. Cream and Flagl only got rid of it for a few weeks and then it was back.. I went to the DR. last week because I could swear the BV was back, I had itching and discharge...but Dr. said the culture showed NO BV and I have to call back on Monday to get the results they sent away for...

Has this happened to anyone else? laugh.gif
quality312
QUOTE(sooo sad @ May 9 2008, 08:12 PM) *
hi hun!

i personally would not buy flagyl online but i know some of the ladies here have and have had results but just wanted to let you know that flagyl at a walmart pharmacy is only $4.00. maybe it's cheaper than gettin it online. i also know that at local health departments they help the low income individuals that need it. hope this helps...and remember when you take femd...twice a day while on flagyl. i did that and i am still doing it now. i will probably continue to for about 3 months then i will take one for maintanence.

good luck hunnie.....sooo sad

thanks for responding soo sad. i think im just going to buy the femD, try taking it on its own and see what that does and then maybe try the boric acid route and if that doesnt work i will try flagyl plus femD i hope this works.
jewelscando
QUOTE(quality312 @ May 11 2008, 05:31 AM) *
thanks for responding soo sad. i think im just going to buy the femD, try taking it on its own and see what that does and then maybe try the boric acid route and if that doesnt work i will try flagyl plus femD i hope this works.

Don't buy the Flagyl online. Unless it's from your local pharmacy, ie Walgreens. I've bought it several times online, and it comes from out of the country, can take up to two months to get it, and even though I buy it from the same online site, it never looks the same, and is never in English. I had no idea what it was I was taking.

I would do what So Sadd recommended. Contact your local pharmacies, and find out what the price for Generic brand would be without insurance. That's what I did. And some do offer discounted prices for lower income families.

Good luck!
damselindistress
QUOTE(KristyG29 @ May 10 2008, 05:42 PM) *
So I"ve had BV since the birth of my Son 9 months ago. Cream and Flagl only got rid of it for a few weeks and then it was back.. I went to the DR. last week because I could swear the BV was back, I had itching and discharge...but Dr. said the culture showed NO BV and I have to call back on Monday to get the results they sent away for...

Yeah, I'm depressed today. Flagyl and Fem D got rid of the infection for 3 weeks - now it's back. Just the opposite happened to me, discharge and itch....doctor says mild bacterial infection under microscope....sends out for culture....absolutely nothing abnormal.....no bacterial infection, nothing showed up. Good luck. I don't even know what to do next. sad.gif
damselindistress
QUOTE(jewelscando @ Apr 25 2008, 01:59 AM) *
Just TTO Suppossitories. That's all I used. And only used it after sex. But, trust me when I say this to you, IT PROBABLY WON'T WORK FOR YOU!!! I hate to be negative girl, but, it's been proven, OVER AND OVER AND OVER and again on this board, that what works for me, may not work for you and vice versa. Everybody's bodies are so different, in so many ways. What brought it on for me, is not what brought it on for you, or who knows who else. The best and ONLY advice I have, is to completely go through all your options. Start with your Doctor. If they don't help, go to another one. Then read Lori's Blog completely!!! You will not find better, more thorough information anymore!! Then, try what works for you.. but what ever you try, make sure you check it out completly first, AND GIVE IT A CHANCE!! If you spend hours sticking things up you, or putting down your throat, you will never know what it is that works for you.

I think the best advice given so far is what Lori has suggested. And I only say this, because of the massive research she has done NOT because it worked for her. Because several of the girls have tried what she suggested and it didn't work for them, hence what works for 1 may not work for another.

I also think, my body might have just been going through something called STRESS!!!! And, I have spent countless hours trying to controll my stress. Stress brought on lower back problems for me and massive headaches. Since I am getting my stress levels under control, my back issues are going away along with the headaches. So... that's also one reason why I've stayed away from this board.. to be honest. Not that it's stressfull, but constantly talking about Itty Bitty Fish Heads coming out the kitty all the time, was STRESSFULL!!! hahahah...

Where does one find tea tree suppositories and how often should it be used if you have an infection already?
honeybunch
QUOTE(KristyG29 @ May 10 2008, 04:42 PM) *

Hmmm, I had a miscarriage then I started having problems. People told me to eat more pineapples, and that seems to be helping.
shine
Hi all. I am new here and I am so glad I found this site. Can someone please tell me about the boric acid and tea tree oil? Where do you buy the boric acid and the empty capsules? Is there a certain brand to buy? I keep seeing something about 00 capsules. Does it just dissolve in your vagina? Does it burn your partner? How soon after starting the boric acid could you tell a difference? Can you use it during your period? How often do you use the boric acid capsules? Now for the tea tree oil. Do you just put it on a tampon and insert? How long should you leave it in? How often do you insert the tea tree tampon. Please respond as soon as you get this. I am so excited to try these things because I so tired of living with this disgusting bv. Thank you to all who respond.
jewelscando
There's 2 ways to get the TTO. First, you can make them yourself. I purchased a bottle from Walmart. It's in the vitamin section normally close to the bottom shelf. Most health food stores carry the 00 Capsules that you can buy real cheap. I used a baby dropper and filled them up, and put in at night before I went to bed. You might want to start off with only filling the capsule half way, just to see how your body reacts. And, literally, lay down, once you've put it in. The best discription I can explain is it almost feels like someone blowing a Vicks menthal couph drop up you. But for me, it did not hurt. If you are raw in anyway, it might burn a little.

The next day (s), you will smell the TTO when you go to the bathroom. That's really the only time you smell it. I suggest using it for 2 days, then wait. It takes awhile to fully come out, so, I only used it for a couple of days, then stopped. Then I only used 1 capsule, the day after sex. Again, didn't want to use it if I was raw in any way shape or form. I wouldn't have sex for about a week, when on the TTO. I wanted to give it time to work.

The second way, is you can have your doctor give you a prescription for it, and the pharmacist will fill them for you.

Hope this helps! Mine is still gone!! rolleyes.gif

As for the boric acid.. it's not a cure. It will only take the smell away for not very long. You have to use it all the time.. And if you are alergice to any type of sulfer type products, don't use it. If you go to any search engine, and type in Boric Acid for B.V., you might get more information, or can someone else on her help her with this one?? I'm alergic to the stuff, so I don't know a whole lot about it.
anaisnin
hi, i'm a longtime lurker of this thread..

literally tried EVERYTHING, had health insurance way back when, they put me on meds 2x, didn't work, then went to planned parenthood, they put me on meds 2-3x, bv came back, tried boric acid/garlic, etc suppositories for a week(s), and that didn't work, tried meds/creams purchased online, didn't work!

is it really abnormal to try boric acid suppositories and NOT have 'em clear bv up? i thought there was a study somewhere that it was 98 percent effective. how the *#(Y%(#* am i in the 2 percent, lucky me!! the moral of my whole fiasco with bv is not to ever have sex again (hardy har, jk), but really, i do not trust docs after this. some of the bv meds they prescribed i took years ago for acne. i believe i've developed a tolerance to them which is pretty frightening to me.

anyways, my last resort is trying tto suppositories+acidophilus (sp) pills. how many days should i use these? 2 weeks? i'm getting my period in another ten days i think..that's going to screw things up right dry.gif

lori
QUOTE(anaisnin @ May 12 2008, 11:27 PM) *
is it really abnormal to try boric acid suppositories and NOT have 'em clear bv up? i thought there was a study somewhere that it was 98 percent effective. how the *#(Y%(#* am i in the 2 percent, lucky me!!

For YEAST.

Boric acid is known to be very effective for YEAST, not BV. Some ladies have tried boric acid in here, and have found that it controls their symptoms, so they keep using it. But you have to keep using it or the symptoms come back, and no one has claimed that boric acid permanently cured their BV.

There are people who KNOW they are suffering from BV _AND_ yeast AND who are claiming that boric acid was the solution for them. For some reason, they fail to make it clear that they had a concurrent YEAST problem (which boric acid is a known cure for).

Anyway, Anais, don't feel bad that you are one of the rare 2%, because you are not. You were misinformed, probably because you lurked here, and some people have obviously misspoke.
anaisnin
oh THANK GOD, i feel dumb now..honestly, i've read here and vagina pagina sooo much that i've tried like everything. i'm glad it didn't clear it up. that's like further proof to me it's bv. for the longest time i thought it was a uti or an std until i went to planned parenthood.

anyways, i looooove tto, the way it smells and everything. i had a little bit in a plastic cup and it ate right through the glue holding it together, so that stuff is potent!
neverending
QUOTE(anaisnin @ May 13 2008, 07:27 AM) *
hi, i'm a longtime lurker of this thread..

literally tried EVERYTHING, had health insurance way back when, they put me on meds 2x, didn't work, then went to planned parenthood, they put me on meds 2-3x, bv came back, tried boric acid/garlic, etc suppositories for a week(s), and that didn't work, tried meds/creams purchased online, didn't work!

is it really abnormal to try boric acid suppositories and NOT have 'em clear bv up? i thought there was a study somewhere that it was 98 percent effective. how the *#(Y%(#* am i in the 2 percent, lucky me!! the moral of my whole fiasco with bv is not to ever have sex again (hardy har, jk), but really, i do not trust docs after this. some of the bv meds they prescribed i took years ago for acne. i believe i've developed a tolerance to them which is pretty frightening to me.

anyways, my last resort is trying tto suppositories+acidophilus (sp) pills. how many days should i use these? 2 weeks? i'm getting my period in another ten days i think..that's going to screw things up right dry.gif

When did this problem start for you? Just wondering! Everyone has their story. Anyway, Welcome to the board!
shine
[quote name='jewelscando' date='May 12 2008, 09:58 PM' post='198474']
There's 2 ways to get the TTO. First, you can make them yourself. I purchased a bottle from Walmart. It's in the vitamin section normally close to the bottom shelf. Most health food stores carry the 00 Capsules that you can buy real cheap. I used a baby dropper and filled them up, and put in at night before I went to bed. You might want to start off with only filling the capsule half way, just to see how your body reacts. And, literally, lay down, once you've put it in. The best discription I can explain is it almost feels like someone blowing a Vicks menthal couph drop up you. But for me, it did not hurt. If you are raw in anyway, it might burn a little.

The next day (s), you will smell the TTO when you go to the bathroom. That's really the only time you smell it. I suggest using it for 2 days, then wait. It takes awhile to fully come out, so, I only used it for a couple of days, then stopped. Then I only used 1 capsule, the day after sex. Again, didn't want to use it if I was raw in any way shape or form. I wouldn't have sex for about a week, when on the TTO. I wanted to give it time to work.

Jewelscando-

Do you use the TTO on a regular basis now for maintainance, or only after sex?
anaisnin
QUOTE(neverending @ May 13 2008, 03:28 PM) *
When did this problem start for you? Just wondering! Everyone has their story. Anyway, Welcome to the board!

haha i know exactly when it started happening, when i first had sex!!! @ 21, 3 years ago, i'm a late bloomer.

anyways, i must have a cut somewhere or i dunno if maybe i should dilute the tto next time..my vag is burning like hellfire right now.
konphusion26
QUOTE(anaisnin @ May 13 2008, 07:10 PM) *
anyways, i must have a cut somewhere or i dunno if maybe i should dilute the tto next time..my vag is burning like hellfire right now.

Welcome to the board Anais! I can't use TTO for that exact reason. It burns me every single time-even diluted. I may just be allergic to it.

Good luck finding a solution for your BV beast! I definitely know how frustrating it is. I had recurrent BV for about the last 5 yrs or so and was in the doctors office more times than I can count. The last three times I've gone to the doc, it's been yeast every single time. Im such a lucky gal aren't I? **bitter sarcasm!!** blink.gif

neverending
QUOTE(anaisnin @ May 14 2008, 12:10 AM) *
haha i know exactly when it started happening, when i first had sex!!! @ 21, 3 years ago, i'm a late bloomer.

Damn, you are the second person to say that. That suxs! Anyway, I used tto a few years ago and got the same result.It felt like someone set my cervix on fire.Ouch!

LADIES: I KNOW THIS is TMI BUT I LET MY HUSBAND CUM IN LAST NIGHT. I thought this crap would come back but it didn't. I also have to say, I had no problem getting wet. I've been doing a lot of stress reduction and it seem to have worked. So, with that being said,I AM BACK TO NORMAL AGAIN. It's been ( I think) a year and something now. Ask me if i'm happy.Now all I have to do is get over this horrible anxiety. That is the hard part. I think it will take me years to get back to my old self but it is possible. I think once I move, lose weight,finish school things will be good again.
neverending
oops
neverending
sorry bout the triple post
lori
QUOTE(anaisnin @ May 13 2008, 09:57 AM) *
oh THANK GOD, i feel dumb now..honestly, i've read here and vagina pagina sooo much that i've tried like everything. i'm glad it didn't clear it up. that's like further proof to me it's bv. for the longest time i thought it was a uti or an std until i went to planned parenthood.

Oh, don't feel dumb! You've been misinformed, and that is not your fault.
sooo sad
QUOTE(neverending @ May 13 2008, 10:07 PM) *
Damn, you are the second person to say that. That suxs! Anyway, I used tto a few years ago and got the same result.It felt like someone set my cervix on fire.Ouch!

LADIES: I KNOW THIS is TMI BUT I LET MY HUSBAND CUM IN LAST NIGHT. I thought this crap would come back but it didn't. I also have to say, I had no problem getting wet. I've been doing a lot of stress reduction and it seem to have worked. So, with that being said,I AM BACK TO NORMAL AGAIN. It's been ( I think) a year and something now. Ask me if i'm happy.Now all I have to do is get over this horrible anxiety. That is the hard part. I think it will take me years to get back to my old self but it is possible. I think once I move, lose weight,finish school things will be good again.

hi neverending

how did you get rid of your bv? just wondering....
damselindistress
QUOTE(konphusion26 @ May 13 2008, 07:41 PM) *
Welcome to the board Anais! I can't use TTO for that exact reason. It burns me every single time-even diluted. I may just be allergic to it.

Good luck finding a solution for your BV beast! I definitely know how frustrating it is. I had recurrent BV for about the last 5 yrs or so and was in the doctors office more times than I can count. The last three times I've gone to the doc, it's been yeast every single time. Im such a lucky gal aren't I? **bitter sarcasm!!** blink.gif

I know Neverending had success with Estroil, Lori with Fem-D and Flagyl, someone else with TTO suppositories. What was your fix? Do you know what helped finally, something you were trying?
konphusion26
QUOTE(damselindistress @ May 14 2008, 10:24 AM) *
I know Neverending had success with Estroil, Lori with Fem-D and Flagyl, someone else with TTO suppositories. What was your fix? Do you know what helped finally, something you were trying?

Well, if one could call it a "fix" lol I guess it would have to be the last thing I used. Clindamycin cream used vaginally and taking the Fem-D and Swanson FemFlora (less expensive equivalent of FemD). I was taking like 3 or 4 at a time instead of the recommended 2.

Those acidophilus things don't seem to be working on my yeast though. Which is confusing, I thought it would work on that too. I really thought that what i was smelling and seeing was BV cuz it had all the classic signs and symptoms of bv beast; however it was not! The medicine the doc prescribed -Gynazole 1- for one dose lasting 7 days would probably knock that out, but its $50 with my insurance huh.gif Geez. I'm thinkin about just breaking down and getting it; most likely I could have been done with this mess 2 wks ago.

Lesson to be learned ladies, do not try to self diagnose. You may be wrong like I was. Try the health department as an alternative if you can't afford to go to your regular gyn or primary care doc.
anaisnin
gah just as i started getting into the tto i think im getting my period ohmy.gif that means no more tto and i guess i'll avoid using tampons too, i hate that

do you need a prescrip for estroil???
sooo sad
hey konphusion26!

are you doing anything for maintenence? or after sex?

thanks in advance!!!

sooo sad
lori
QUOTE(konphusion26 @ May 14 2008, 10:04 AM) *
Those acidophilus things don't seem to be working on my yeast though. Which is confusing, I thought it would work on that too. I really thought that what i was smelling and seeing was BV cuz it had all the classic signs and symptoms of bv beast; however it was not! The medicine the doc prescribed -Gynazole 1- for one dose lasting 7 days would probably knock that out, but its $50 with my insurance huh.gif Geez. I'm thinkin about just breaking down and getting it; most likely I could have been done with this mess 2 wks ago.

I'm pretty curious about the effect of Fem-D on yeast, too. Maybe it doesn't cure a full-blown yeast infection, but still helps prevent it?

Just like with needing a prescription to get rid of the BV first, you probably need to tackle the yeast before Fem-D can do its thing. ($50 though? Yeesh.)

QUOTE(konphusion26 @ May 14 2008, 10:04 AM) *
Lesson to be learned ladies, do not try to self diagnose. You may be wrong like I was. Try the health department as an alternative if you can't afford to go to your regular gyn or primary care doc.

This really cannot be said often enough.

First of all, I really know that doctors can just suck sometimes. I had BV, and it went undiagnosed for THREE fucking years. I went to so many doctors and was examined so many times, and all they kept doing was testing me for every STD that ever existed. I have no idea why they were so stupid, but there you go.

So I really really know that doctors do not always know what they're talking about. And I know some of you have experienced similar things, so you don't trust them. So self-knowledge and research is important. But a doctor should be involved somewhere in your treatment. Relying only on self-diagnose and self-treatment is not the way to go.
neverending
QUOTE(anaisnin @ May 14 2008, 06:19 PM) *
gah just as i started getting into the tto i think im getting my period ohmy.gif that means no more tto and i guess i'll avoid using tampons too, i hate that

do you need a prescrip for estroil???

Have you heard of the Diva Cup? I've been using my Diva Cup for 3 1/2 years and I love it. You won't even have to buy any tampons which helps save money.I do use panty liners though. Just in case the Diva Cup slips out of place but it's really no big mess. Think about it. As far as the estoril, I bought them off the internet but you can get them from a doctor IF he/she thinks you need them. My doc didn't think I needed them so I bought them off the internet.
konphusion26
QUOTE(sooo sad @ May 14 2008, 01:58 PM) *
hey konphusion26!

are you doing anything for maintenence? or after sex?

thanks in advance!!!

sooo sad

HEY SOOO SAD!! To tell the truth, kinda both but more maintenance I guess. honestly, sex is so few and far in between because of all crap thats constantly going on with my vag- when I am lucky enough to have a roll in the sheets, I try to insert 1 boric acid capsule the next day or two just to counteract any beasties... I notice that when I don't do that, I get RAGING yeast infections like the last 2 I've had. They've been so bad lately, the over the counter stuff just does nothing.

lori Posted Today, 02:11 PM
I'm pretty curious about the effect of Fem-D on yeast, too. Maybe it doesn't cure a full-blown yeast infection, but still helps prevent it?

Just like with needing a prescription to get rid of the BV first, you probably need to tackle the yeast before Fem-D can do its thing. ($50 though? Yeesh.)

Lesson to be learned ladies, do not try to self diagnose.

This really cannot be said often enough.

First of all, I really know that doctors can just suck sometimes. I had BV, and it went undiagnosed for THREE fucking years. I went to so many doctors and was examined so many times, and all they kept doing was testing me for every STD that ever existed. I have no idea why they were so stupid, but there you go.

Lori, hunny I tell ya - $50 is a big one when you're unemployed. There's a $15 mail in rebate, but I gotta wait for it. Thank God for that stimulus check!!!!! My lil lady doc is wonderful though. She just doesnt know what the hell to do for me except keep giving me meds LOL I have been to so many dang doctors and they want to run a million tests and write an Rx for everything.

Neverending... is the estriol in pills or suppositories. I dont think I need it now cuz I'm on bc. Seems to be working pretty well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.