Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109
sassy
I got mine at Walmart (cringe) and it wasn't behind the counter.
nicolemr
Neverending,
Congrats on your success!!!
How did you figure out that you have a hormonal problem? Is it something you suspected or did the doctor run tests? Do you take hormones? Thanks for the input.
I feel like something is just not right but when I have gone for tests they cannot find anything wrong. This might be TMI but, I was standing in my bedroom (naked) deciding what to wear, had just finished my period 5 days previously. Then gush all of a sudden, I am bleeding. It was all over the floor, my husband thought that somehow I had cut myself! This kinda thing happen to anyone else?? ohmy.gif
dani1983
Busties,

I got the fem-D last week, Tuesday, and I took it for two days...the BV kinda disappeared but then at night I would get a small discharge, but that's it (taking into account that the only symptom I have of BV is a discharge- no smell, no pain, nothing). THen I stopped taking it because I decided I wanted to start taking it when I start the Flagyl, and today is my first day! busties, wish me some luck! I'm taking 2 fem-d in the morning(like lori suggested) with one flagyl, and then another flagyl at night.

QUOTE(neverending @ Aug 26 2008, 11:05 PM) *
Wow, so many new ladies here! I like to see newcomers but it sucks at the same time because I realize this is becoming such a widespread problem.

I'm not new lol I've been a member since +2 years ago? But I forgot the password for my other account and I could never get it back :-(
I'm glad you found it was an hormonal imbalance! Maybe that's what I have too? I'm starting to think that mine MIGHT be related to stress....has anyone ever thought about this? I started getting BV symptoms last july, when I got SUPER stressed out cause I didn't get paid for 3 months straight, and since then I've been stressed out non-stop.
lori
QUOTE(dani1983 @ Sep 1 2008, 08:37 AM) *
I'm taking 2 fem-d in the morning(like lori suggested) with one flagyl, and then another flagyl at night.

Don't take the fem-d with flagyl at the same time.

The fem-d insert says that you should take them a couple hours apart - because the antibiotic may kill some of the good bacteria in the fem-d.
Honeymelon
So i'm new here, so hello everybody. Ive had BV for like 2 years now, and i'm partly glad i'm not the only one with this problem and saddend that others have to go thru this. But anyway, ive tried probly everything to make this go away. I will NOT go to the gyno anymore because the three times i went were absolute HELL. I have never experienced so much pain. to get a pap with no lube is not right. i couldn't even scream it hurt so bad. anyway, so the doc gave me something i think it was metro-something and it made me itch so bad and then did nothing to help. So i searched and searched for at home ways to cure this and the only thing that helps me a little is douching with hydrogen peroxide. i know it's probably the worst thing possible, but it works, that and inserting yogurt. but the problem is that they only work for a day, and i doubt it's healthy to do this everyday. So i bought femdopholus and it hasn't done anything on its own, so my question is how do i take it and would it help to also take boric acid, and how do you take it? do you insert it you know where or swallow it, and would it work like in douche form??
help!
Thanks!!
neverending
QUOTE(nicolemr @ Aug 31 2008, 06:53 AM) *
Neverending,
Congrats on your success!!!
How did you figure out that you have a hormonal problem? Is it something you suspected or did the doctor run tests? Do you take hormones? Thanks for the input.
I feel like something is just not right but when I have gone for tests they cannot find anything wrong. This might be TMI but, I was standing in my bedroom (naked) deciding what to wear, had just finished my period 5 days previously. Then gush all of a sudden, I am bleeding. It was all over the floor, my husband thought that somehow I had cut myself! This kinda thing happen to anyone else?? ohmy.gif

Hey hun,

Thanks a lot! I don't remember when I figured out that this was hormonal but it's documented here (just to lazy to go back and look at it) but yeap your hormones control a lot. I didn't realize that. If I could go back again, I would have done my research before making my decision that day. I don't take anything now but b-12 and diet pills Alli. That's it! As far as your problem with bleeding, no I've never had that happen. I don't know what may have caused that. Maybe Inflammation?! Anyway, hope all is well hun and no, nothing is TMI for me. I'm grown! I don't think this is something to be ashamed of, I don't think this is TMI, and I don't think this is something gross or disgusting. This is our bodies! wink.gif
neverending
QUOTE(Honeymelon @ Sep 2 2008, 09:33 PM) *
So i'm new here, so hello everybody. Ive had BV for like 2 years now, and i'm partly glad i'm not the only one with this problem and saddend that others have to go thru this. But anyway, ive tried probly everything to make this go away. I will NOT go to the gyno anymore because the three times i went were absolute HELL. I have never experienced so much pain. to get a pap with no lube is not right. i couldn't even scream it hurt so bad. anyway, so the doc gave me something i think it was metro-something and it made me itch so bad and then did nothing to help. So i searched and searched for at home ways to cure this and the only thing that helps me a little is douching with hydrogen peroxide. i know it's probably the worst thing possible, but it works, that and inserting yogurt. but the problem is that they only work for a day, and i doubt it's healthy to do this everyday. So i bought femdopholus and it hasn't done anything on its own, so my question is how do i take it and would it help to also take boric acid, and how do you take it? do you insert it you know where or swallow it, and would it work like in douche form??
help!
Thanks!!

Hey,
Give the femdophilious(sp?) time. With anything it takes time to see whether or not it's going to work. Oh, BORIC ACID SHOULD NEVER BE SWALLOWED! NEVER EVER PERIOD! It should go up the Vajayjay. Also, douching should not be done everyday. You may be pushing bacteria where it does not belong which may lead to PID. You know, I got so use to pap smears that no lube does not bother me but then again I have a high tolerance for pain. Next time let them know before starting that you would like lube to be used. Don't be afraid to speak up! Hope this helps! Oh, welcome to the board! Glad your here. This is the best board on the net and it's filled with lots of valuable info!
catwalk
Has anyone tried Dong Quai? It's supposed to be good for a whole bunch of stuff.....

"the main part of the root is a tonic, and the end of the root eliminates blood stagnation. it is considered the "female ginseng" because of its balancing effect on the female hormonal system"

I've added it to my 'cup of pills' I take now, which includes:
1g Flax seed oil
1g Omega 3-6-9
1g Primrose Oil
500mg Echinacea
500mg Dong Quai
400mg Vitex
Vit B50 complex (turns my pee BRIGHT yellow, lol)
Cranberry extract (cuz i hate cranberry juice)
3 pills of Lactobacillus Acidophilus & Bifidus

I'm doing pretty well, but still have discharge 'fall' out of me when I go to the bathroom... like a LOT. But at least no smell & not much discharge at all (even when standing!) so I'm happy. Still looking for a better treatment.....
lori
QUOTE(Honeymelon @ Sep 2 2008, 01:33 PM) *
help!
Thanks!!

Hi Honeymelon:

It sounds like you have some kind of inflammation. Untreated BV can cause cervicitis (inflammation of the cervix) and that might explain why a pap smear is so painful. And the metrogel might have caused a yeast infection, which might explain the itching.

If you're inflamed, I would not suggest inserting boric acid, which could make things worse.

My suggestion is that you see another doctor. I know you don't want to, but I'll tell you right now that there is probably nothing over-the-counter that's going to fix this permanently. Instead of metrogel, maybe you can ask the doctor to prescribe you oral flagyl (same medication in pill form), and have him monitor your inflammation.
Honeymelon
QUOTE(neverending @ Sep 2 2008, 03:54 PM) *
Hey,
Give the femdophilious(sp?) time. With anything it takes time to see whether or not it's going to work. Oh, BORIC ACID SHOULD NEVER BE SWALLOWED! NEVER EVER PERIOD! It should go up the Vajayjay. Also, douching should not be done everyday. You may be pushing bacteria where it does not belong which may lead to PID. You know, I got so use to pap smears that no lube does not bother me but then again I have a high tolerance for pain. Next time let them know before starting that you would like lube to be used. Don't be afraid to speak up! Hope this helps! Oh, welcome to the board! Glad your here. This is the best board on the net and it's filled with lots of valuable info!

Thank you so much for the feedback. when i went the last time to the gyno i did tell them and apparently to take an STI test you can't use lube or it won't work. and i'll make sure to not swallow the Boric acid. I can't find it right now anyway....
Honeymelon
QUOTE(lori @ Sep 3 2008, 01:02 AM) *
Hi Honeymelon:

It sounds like you have some kind of inflammation. Untreated BV can cause cervicitis (inflammation of the cervix) and that might explain why a pap smear is so painful. And the metrogel might have caused a yeast infection, which might explain the itching.

If you're inflamed, I would not suggest inserting boric acid, which could make things worse.

My suggestion is that you see another doctor. I know you don't want to, but I'll tell you right now that there is probably nothing over-the-counter that's going to fix this permanently. Instead of metrogel, maybe you can ask the doctor to prescribe you oral flagyl (same medication in pill form), and have him monitor your inflammation.

OOO good point! thanks for mentioning this. i did ask for oral medicine last time i was at the gyno and she told me it didn't exist. yea right. anyway, i've been told i could have endometriosis or ovarian cysts but you know it could be cervicitis that's causing my pain and this has been going on for like 5 years so this could be bad.....
thank you lori!
dani1983
QUOTE(Honeymelon @ Sep 3 2008, 02:18 PM) *
OOO good point! thanks for mentioning this. i did ask for oral medicine last time i was at the gyno and she told me it didn't exist. yea right.

Definitely a sign that you have to change doctor! If you have ovarian cysts, wouldn't they be able to diagnose them through an x ray? ask them for one of those! or even better, a catscan

I'm on my 3rd day of flagyl and today i had some drinks... no abdominal pain but i'm soooo freaking nauseous right now :'(

Honeymelon
QUOTE(dani1983 @ Sep 3 2008, 11:51 PM) *
Definitely a sign that you have to change doctor! If you have ovarian cysts, wouldn't they be able to diagnose them through an x ray? ask them for one of those! or even better, a catscan

I'm on my 3rd day of flagyl and today i had some drinks... no abdominal pain but i'm soooo freaking nauseous right now :'(

oh i've had xrays, ctscans, and sonograms and they never found anything. so yeah, i'm thinking it's probably not my ovaries that are causing trouble although it could have been to small to see...
aww, sorry about your nausea, i'm glad i'm not on flagyl right now cuz i'm planning to have a few this weekend! wink.gif
thank you guys so much for your responses, i feel so loved!! wub.gif
Honeymelon
QUOTE(catwalk @ Sep 2 2008, 10:34 PM) *
Has anyone tried Dong Quai? It's supposed to be good for a whole bunch of stuff.....

"the main part of the root is a tonic, and the end of the root eliminates blood stagnation. it is considered the "female ginseng" because of its balancing effect on the female hormonal system"

I've added it to my 'cup of pills' I take now, which includes:
1g Flax seed oil
1g Omega 3-6-9
1g Primrose Oil
500mg Echinacea
500mg Dong Quai
400mg Vitex
Vit B50 complex (turns my pee BRIGHT yellow, lol)
Cranberry extract (cuz i hate cranberry juice)
3 pills of Lactobacillus Acidophilus & Bifidus

I'm doing pretty well, but still have discharge 'fall' out of me when I go to the bathroom... like a LOT. But at least no smell & not much discharge at all (even when standing!) so I'm happy. Still looking for a better treatment.....

yes, actually, my aunt who used to live in the middle east has Dong Quai tea i believe which is for like female probs especially on that time of the month, and i drank it when i had cramps and it did help, but tasted not the best... you take quite a handful of items! as much as i hope this works for you, maybe one or two of these work more than the others? Hey and while i'm making suggestions, something that will help withyour discharge and odor is inserting plain yogurt into your vajayjay(another helpful hint from my aunt). this will neutralize it. (you'll have some gross stuff fall out for a few hours until all the bad stuff is gone, so do this at night). and although shouldn't do this everyday, it helps as a *clean?* start for lets say acidopholus and dong quai or whatever you want to take?
hope this helps! good luck!
sooo sad
sassy or anybody that has used or is using boric acid

hi hon..........
i was wondering how can you have sex with your husband while on boric acid? does it burn you or him? how would the routine be? do you use condoms? i'm sooo confused. i tried to look on the internet but i can't find any answers.

thanks in advance

sooo sad
damona
and so, i'm back.... *sigh*

i've had this little issue on and off since i was 16, i thought it was just me until a couple years ago. the dr caught it, finally, and put me on a course of metronidazole. it went away, came back... this time the dr gave it to me and both my steady partners. it went away for a looong time, like a couple years, with a hint of it now and then, especially after sex w/ my hubby. i used a bit of tea tree oil on a tampon, and/or a soak in the tub with tea tree oil bath salts, and it wasn't really an issue. fast forward to last night... sex with hubby... this morning... wow! the smell is off the charts. i know, i know, it's my body and all that, but i am just grossed out. i tried tea tree oil and it did nothing. NOW WHAT????? i feel like i don't want to go out in public b/c everyone is gonna smell that and know it's me. i hate this!!!
lori
QUOTE(damona @ Sep 5 2008, 12:43 AM) *
and so, i'm back.... *sigh*

i've had this little issue on and off since i was 16, i thought it was just me until a couple years ago. the dr caught it, finally, and put me on a course of metronidazole. it went away, came back... this time the dr gave it to me and both my steady partners. it went away for a looong time, like a couple years, with a hint of it now and then, especially after sex w/ my hubby. i used a bit of tea tree oil on a tampon, and/or a soak in the tub with tea tree oil bath salts, and it wasn't really an issue. fast forward to last night... sex with hubby... this morning... wow! the smell is off the charts. i know, i know, it's my body and all that, but i am just grossed out. i tried tea tree oil and it did nothing. NOW WHAT????? i feel like i don't want to go out in public b/c everyone is gonna smell that and know it's me. i hate this!!!

Baths are not a good idea, according to The V Book (see info. in my blog). It kind of sucks that we can't enjoy a good soak in a bath, but Dr. Stewart says you should take them sparingly, not often, because the water washes away your vagina's natural defenses, like douching does. So you may have triggered this episode by bathing.

She also says tea tree oil doesn't do anything for BV. In my opinion, it's a "deodorant" solution, at best. So the fact that you put some tea tree oil in your bath didn't help you.

Since metronidazole (flagyl) worked for you in the past, take that again. Take them with your partner, if he's willing. And I'd suggest that you also take fem-dophilus during and after.

Flagyl worked for you in the past, and kept it away for a couple of years. I think that means you're actually in pretty good shape, compared to some of the other ladies in here. Not to trivialize your problem - you should be happy. But if you want this to go away, and stay away, I think getting things back in balance should be your priority. Good luck!
dani1983
damona, do you get the smell back when you have sex with your hubby....with a condom?? have u tried that??

So regarding my case....tomorrow is my last day on flagyl...and i still have the discharge! not as much as before(it wsnt that much anyways) but its still yellowish in color. Still no smell WHATSOEVER, and it still doesnt itch or anything.... its making me wonder if it is really BV.... I'm still taking fem-d....i hope it starts working soon, before i have to make another appt to go see the doctor.... damnit :-(
sooo sad
QUOTE(dani1983 @ Sep 7 2008, 03:47 AM) *
damona, do you get the smell back when you have sex with your hubby....with a condom?? have u tried that??

So regarding my case....tomorrow is my last day on flagyl...and i still have the discharge! not as much as before(it wsnt that much anyways) but its still yellowish in color. Still no smell WHATSOEVER, and it still doesnt itch or anything.... its making me wonder if it is really BV.... I'm still taking fem-d....i hope it starts working soon, before i have to make another appt to go see the doctor.... damnit :-(

dani1983

that's the same thing that happens to me when i'm finished with flagyl.....i still have discharge. i did like a total of 4-5 treatments of flagyl and out of them 2 treatments were with femd. the bv would go away with confirmation of a affirm test at the dr's office but the discharge was always there. it's less with femd though. then after about 2 weeks, the bv would come back cause the discharge is a little different and the itch and burning was there too. it's frustrating!!!! i also did 20 days of metrogel and it came right back too. right now i'm thinking to do boric acid after i finish another round of antibiotics....lol!!! this time i was put on cefadroxil for 14 days. i feel you hon. this damn shit makes me so depressed and less of a woman. i don't know if it will work, but we will see.
LoveLife
hey ladies... haven't been here in a while. but it's baaack. and stiiiinky. i think cuz i had sex with my ex that i had gotten this from originally. not gonna do that again! ugh. sad.gif

anyhoo, last time i said that the femdo and oregano oil worked for me. i'm trying to do that again, but also drinking some grapefruit seed extract as opposed to the oregano oil sometimes. I try to take 15 drops in water 3x day. and i've only been taking the femdo for 3 days. anyway. i'm also going to try this douche that was recommended to me called ProSeed Feminine Rinse. It looks promising. Look it up, I'll let you know how it works. My question though, does anyone know how often I should do it? twice a week? once a day? I want to make sure I'm using it right. Plus i'm only gonna use bottled water for it. i don't trust the tap. it tastes gross, so why would i want that in my hoohoo? any help with the douche would be greatly appreciated. Thank youuu! And good luck to you all too. this shit sucks.
dani1983
QUOTE(sooo sad @ Sep 7 2008, 04:07 PM) *
dani1983

that's the same thing that happens to me when i'm finished with flagyl.....i still have discharge. i did like a total of 4-5 treatments of flagyl and out of them 2 treatments were with femd. the bv would go away with confirmation of a affirm test at the dr's office but the discharge was always there. it's less with femd though. then after about 2 weeks, the bv would come back cause the discharge is a little different and the itch and burning was there too. it's frustrating!!!! i also did 20 days of metrogel and it came right back too. right now i'm thinking to do boric acid after i finish another round of antibiotics....lol!!! this time i was put on cefadroxil for 14 days. i feel you hon. this damn shit makes me so depressed and less of a woman. i don't know if it will work, but we will see.

hey sooo sad!! thanks for your kind words wink.gif the problem with me is that i have never had any itching whatsoever in my hoohah, and I had a weird smell before, but that smell stopped when i took flagyl for the first time(this was like in june). Now I only get a discharge, and its not a lot though, but its still discharge. its yellowish but no smell. none at all. so that's why i was wondering if i still had BV or maybe it's something else.
I wanted to ask the Busties, if I should still keep taking two capsules of fem-d per day or if i should reduce it to only one per day??? what do you girls think? ( i still have the yellowish discharge but not that much, and no smell)

sooo sad
QUOTE(dani1983 @ Sep 8 2008, 09:51 PM) *
hey sooo sad!! thanks for your kind words wink.gif the problem with me is that i have never had any itching whatsoever in my hoohah, and I had a weird smell before, but that smell stopped when i took flagyl for the first time(this was like in june). Now I only get a discharge, and its not a lot though, but its still discharge. its yellowish but no smell. none at all. so that's why i was wondering if i still had BV or maybe it's something else.
I wanted to ask the Busties, if I should still keep taking two capsules of fem-d per day or if i should reduce it to only one per day??? what do you girls think? ( i still have the yellowish discharge but not that much, and no smell)

hey hon

it's not normal to have yellow discharge, if i were you, i would get it check out to see if it is bv, yeast, etc. and tell the doctor that you want a test to be done for confirmation, like the affirm test that test for bv, yeast, and trich with one swab. tell the dr that just by looking will not do, i was diagnosed with yeast for about 4 months straight and when she decided to do the affirm test it came out to be bv......lol. i would also still take femd 2 per day, until everything is resolved, my advice.

hope this helps!!!

sooo sad
LisaL79
Hello everyone! New here and I must say, I'm so glad I found this.
I was googling BV and natural ways to try to treat it and came upon this thread.
I hate saying it, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who suffers this.
You just can't help but feel so alone when you have to constantly worry about if other people can smell you or not. So yeah, even though it's weird to say, it's nice to see that there are other women out there going through the same thing.
I've been suffering BV for about hmm..8 years now (I'll be 29 on Sept 20th) & nothing has worked for me so far.
My main problem is the smell. The god-awful, run for the hills, mostly fishy, sometimes ammonia smell.
I hate it and it's embarassing as hell to have it.
The smell will actually go away for 2 days after my period, but then comes back full force.

Right now I'm trying Garlique. Read that garlic can help, so yeah.. I'll try almost anything.

Anywho, that's my intro! lol.... There are a ton of pages in this thread, and I still have alot more reading to do... so.. yeah. Hope to post often and get to know everyone better smile.gif
mg86
there is hope!

Hi everyone

I have not posted here for awhile, but I have returned with good news. Just as a recap: I went to the doctor about 2 months ago for the first time in a year. I was not sexually active at the time. The doctor prescribed me Flagyl (again, ugh), for 10 days, plus Clindesse. I told him I had not been sexually active in over 6 months, and he said that the bacteria can hang around for that long. So, I went ahead with the treatment. I was skeptical.

I obsessed about every little itch, tickle, or hint of odor for several weeks. I sporadically took FemD. I was constantly checking my discharge and checking for odor. I was pretty sure it was gone, but not positive. Then, about 2 weeks ago, I had sex with someone. I was terrified, but just went with it. There was NO odor, NO weird discharge...and he even gave me oral and everything. I could not BELIEVE it!

I still have been obsessively monitoring and checking myself, but I am 90% confident that my BV problem is GONE. It is such a great feeling.

Like you all, I felt like I tried everything. I thought my problem would never go away. But my experience has revealed to me that my (at the time) sexual partner was the root of the problem. Even after I completed treatment and we had sex, the bacteria were still "hanging on" to him. The doctor only treated him once. IMO, they don't put enough emphasis on the fact that your partner NEEDS to be treated. If you have sex with your partner when you are BV free, there is a chance the lovely gardenella are clinging to him for dear life.

This may or may not help anyone out, but I wanted to share my experience. I wish you all the best of luck and you can be sure I'll return if I run into any problems, Thanks, you all have been so supportive.
dani1983
QUOTE(mg86 @ Sep 10 2008, 11:43 PM) *
there is hope!
Like you all, I felt like I tried everything. I thought my problem would never go away. But my experience has revealed to me that my (at the time) sexual partner was the root of the problem. Even after I completed treatment and we had sex, the bacteria were still "hanging on" to him. The doctor only treated him once. IMO, they don't put enough emphasis on the fact that your partner NEEDS to be treated. If you have sex with your partner when you are BV free, there is a chance the lovely gardenella are clinging to him for dear life.

This may or may not help anyone out, but I wanted to share my experience. I wish you all the best of luck and you can be sure I'll return if I run into any problems, Thanks, you all have been so supportive.

Oh congratulations girl! im so happy for you! I kno I started getting thr BV symptoms when I started having sex qith my ex bf.... We broke up like 4 months ago, and 2 treatments with flagyl afterwards, i still have it! so treating the partner too is not always the solution....i think my problem is a mental one
damselindistress
Question for those of you who say your partner was treated too:

Does your man have to go to the doctor too, or did your GYN give them something? My guy's doctors said that there was no bacteria in his semen analysis and that BV doesn't get passed back and forth. Of course, he says he doesn't have to be treated and doesn't want to go back to the doctor. If my GYN could be convinced somehow to treat him, then it would be easy and maybe he'd comply....to humor me, of course.

QUOTE(mg86 @ Sep 10 2008, 11:43 PM) *
there is hope!

Hi everyone

I have not posted here for awhile, but I have returned with good news. Just as a recap: I went to the doctor about 2 months ago for the first time in a year. I was not sexually active at the time. The doctor prescribed me Flagyl (again, ugh), for 10 days, plus Clindesse. I told him I had not been sexually active in over 6 months, and he said that the bacteria can hang around for that long. So, I went ahead with the treatment. I was skeptical.

I obsessed about every little itch, tickle, or hint of odor for several weeks. I sporadically took FemD. I was constantly checking my discharge and checking for odor. I was pretty sure it was gone, but not positive. Then, about 2 weeks ago, I had sex with someone. I was terrified, but just went with it. There was NO odor, NO weird discharge...and he even gave me oral and everything. I could not BELIEVE it!

I still have been obsessively monitoring and checking myself, but I am 90% confident that my BV problem is GONE. It is such a great feeling.

damona
damselindistress, when my partners were treated my gyn wrote prescriptions for them as well as me.

dani, i tend to have issues with condoms (pain, rash, general misery), but i'm thinking that was from the spermicide on them, or the lube. we have some unlubed ones that we will try. and yes, the ickiness only comes back after sex with my hubby, but not my other partner. i had my tubes tied and the three of us are "multi-monogamous" so we do unprotected sex most of the time.

lori, i know that there are others who have it way worse than i do, but it was rather a shock to get it back full-blown after so long without it.

btw, i'm sure it didn't get rid of the underlying infection, but i treated it like a yeastie with yogurt, inside and outside, tons of water, no sugar, and raw garlic (i cut a clove into 3 pieces and swallowed it like pills!) and by the next day the smell, at least, was neutralized.
sooo sad
QUOTE(damona @ Sep 11 2008, 03:21 PM) *
damselindistress, when my partners were treated my gyn wrote prescriptions for them as well as me.

dani, i tend to have issues with condoms (pain, rash, general misery), but i'm thinking that was from the spermicide on them, or the lube. we have some unlubed ones that we will try. and yes, the ickiness only comes back after sex with my hubby, but not my other partner. i had my tubes tied and the three of us are "multi-monogamous" so we do unprotected sex most of the time.

lori, i know that there are others who have it way worse than i do, but it was rather a shock to get it back full-blown after so long without it.

btw, i'm sure it didn't get rid of the underlying infection, but i treated it like a yeastie with yogurt, inside and outside, tons of water, no sugar, and raw garlic (i cut a clove into 3 pieces and swallowed it like pills!) and by the next day the smell, at least, was neutralized.

damona

hey hon..........you should try trojan ultra thin condoms, feels like you're not even using one. it's super duper thin laugh.gif . and yes spermicide ones are harsh to the vagina and i recommend a lube with low ph, like sylk...kinda expensive but worth it.

damselindistress

hon....it depends on your doctor. some doctors will write a script for you and partner, some will want to see your partner before writing a script. i know that the bv can grow and stay in the hole of the penis cause it's dark and moist at the tip. my boyfriend was tested with the affirm, which is for females only but the dr did it for me because i kept insisting and guess what.......it came back positive!!! lol

hope this helps

sooo sad
damselindistress
So, I gotta ask, how did your lady doctor test your guy?? I know you said "affirm" but I don't know what that means and how did they do it - a urethral swab or somethin'? I'll be surprised if my GYN will do it. Thanks, Girls, for replying.

QUOTE(sooo sad @ Sep 11 2008, 03:47 PM) *

damona

hey hon..........you should try trojan ultra thin condoms, feels like you're not even using one. it's super duper thin laugh.gif . and yes spermicide ones are harsh to the vagina and i recommend a lube with low ph, like sylk...kinda expensive but worth it.

damselindistress

hon....it depends on your doctor. some doctors will write a script for you and partner, some will want to see your partner before writing a script. i know that the bv can grow and stay in the hole of the penis cause it's dark and moist at the tip. my boyfriend was tested with the affirm, which is for females only but the dr did it for me because i kept insisting and guess what.......it came back positive!!! lol

hope this helps

sooo sad

Sweaty in Social Studies
I've been reading up on Bacterial Vaginosis and Yeast Infections and I heard that it's mainly caused by unhealthy eating habits, drinking/smoking, several sex partners, poor immune system, pollution and so on. And from that blog there have been several people that say they're infections went away on their own when they changed their lifestyle. Which I think could be true.

Have any of you tried eating healthier and had you infection go away?

Other than that, there was a study that said a daily lactobacilius acidophilus douche helps restore the vagina to its natural flora (because lactobacilius acidophilus is naturally found in the vagina). And then of course there's another alternative, which would be, boric acid capsules each night for 7 days or 14 days depending on how bad the infection is.

I've tried the boric acid and it works like a charm. I bought it off of Amazon.com and I also ordered the capsules from there too.
sooo sad
QUOTE(damselindistress @ Sep 11 2008, 04:34 PM) *
So, I gotta ask, how did your lady doctor test your guy?? I know you said "affirm" but I don't know what that means and how did they do it - a urethral swab or somethin'? I'll be surprised if my GYN will do it. Thanks, Girls, for replying.

yep...swabbed his little pee hole and came back with gardnerella(?). affirm is a test that dr's do to test for bv,yeast, and trich in one swab. it's sent off to the lab and you get results in about 3 days. you would just need to get a sample of vaginal discharge and so the doc swab his pee hole cause that's kinda a equivalent to our vagina laugh.gif . insist on it if that's what the doc needs to do to treat him, kinda like a confirmation that he does have it. but some doc won't do it and just write the script.

sooo sad
lori
QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Sep 12 2008, 12:55 PM) *
I've been reading up on Bacterial Vaginosis and Yeast Infections and I heard that it's mainly caused by unhealthy eating habits, drinking/smoking, several sex partners, poor immune system, pollution and so on. And from that blog there have been several people that say they're infections went away on their own when they changed their lifestyle. Which I think could be true.

Have any of you tried eating healthier and had you infection go away?

There are ladies in here who have had BV when they were virgins. So several sex partners is not always a cause.

And while I'm sure that healthy living and strong immune systems is a factor, simple lifestyle changes really isn't a magic bullet.

So I don't think either of them are "main" causes of BV or yeast.

Other than that, there was a study that said a daily lactobacilius acidophilus douche helps restore the vagina to its natural flora (because lactobacilius acidophilus is naturally found in the vagina). And then of course there's another alternative, which would be, boric acid capsules each night for 7 days or 14 days depending on how bad the infection is.

I've tried the boric acid and it works like a charm. I bought it off of Amazon.com and I also ordered the capsules from there too.

We're getting into been-there-done-that territory. Regular acidophilus (taken orally or vaginally) has not, and does not work for BV.

And boric acid is a maintenance solution, not a cure for BV. (It is a known cure for yeast, however.) People should be careful with it, because it should not be used during pregnancy, and at least one person was allergic to it and got severe rashes that left scars.

Bottom line: your suggestions have been discussed. And then hashed, and re-hashed.

If you're interested in doing further research on this matter, please read The V Book, written by Dr. Stewart. It contains a good foundation of knowledge about women's health.
lori
QUOTE(sooo sad @ Sep 12 2008, 02:12 PM) *
yep...swabbed his little pee hole and came back with gardnerella(?). affirm is a test that dr's do to test for bv,yeast, and trich in one swab. it's sent off to the lab and you get results in about 3 days. you would just need to get a sample of vaginal discharge and so the doc swab his pee hole cause that's kinda a equivalent to our vagina laugh.gif . insist on it if that's what the doc needs to do to treat him, kinda like a confirmation that he does have it. but some doc won't do it and just write the script.

sooo sad

Thanks for sharing that, sooo sad.

So guys can carry BV. This is definitely interesting.

So did your guy get treatment? Any improvement afterwards?
sooo sad
LORI

hi hon wink.gif .........

yes, he got treatment. then after that we've just been having sex with a condom because i can't even get rid of the bv in the first place. i've been on flagyl about 4-5 times, one time it went away but came back in about 2-3 weeks. then i found this site and did flagyl + femd, it came back again. we've been using a condoms cause i don't want to pass it back and forth....again. but i did notice that before he was treated, the bv was FULL BLOWN, especially after we had sex, but now with the condom it's not as bad, no itching, burning, or pain....just annoying discharge, but not that much since i've been on femd. i hope this information helps ladies in battling bv!!!

sooo sad
Sweaty in Social Studies
QUOTE(lori @ Sep 12 2008, 09:13 PM) *
There are ladies in here who have had BV when they were virgins. So several sex partners is not always a cause.

And while I'm sure that healthy living and strong immune systems is a factor, simple lifestyle changes really isn't a magic bullet.

So I don't think either of them are "main" causes of BV or yeast.
We're getting into been-there-done-that territory. Regular acidophilus (taken orally or vaginally) has not, and does not work for BV.

And boric acid is a maintenance solution, not a cure for BV. (It is a known cure for yeast, however.) People should be careful with it, because it should not be used during pregnancy, and at least one person was allergic to it and got severe rashes that left scars.

Bottom line: your suggestions have been discussed. And then hashed, and re-hashed.

If you're interested in doing further research on this matter, please read The V Book, written by Dr. Stewart. It contains a good foundation of knowledge about women's health.

But ... keep in mind everybody is different. What may work for one person won't work for another. And I have spoken to Dr.Stewart myself. She is the one that diagnosed me with 3 different non-albican yeast infections. How I got it, I don't know. I narrowed it down to two factors ... continous use of a really strong topical steroidal cream for my eczema and wearing a swimsuit with underwear underneath for too long. In my case Boric acid worked like a charm. My yeast infection(s) had very similar symptoms to BV, strong smell and yellowish whitish discharge. I found some things that helped me on this forum but in the end what really worked was the Boric Acid that I took at bed time for 14 days.

Non-albican yeast infections are more stubborn than regular yeast infections. And some do have an odor, not really fishy but like a ripe yeasty smell that lingers in the air even after you leave a room.
lori
QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Sep 13 2008, 02:15 PM) *
But ... keep in mind everybody is different. What may work for one person won't work for another. And I have spoken to Dr.Stewart myself. She is the one that diagnosed me with 3 different non-albican yeast infections. How I got it, I don't know. I narrowed it down to two factors ... continous use of a really strong topical steroidal cream for my eczema and wearing a swimsuit with underwear underneath for too long. In my case Boric acid worked like a charm. My yeast infection(s) had very similar symptoms to BV, strong smell and yellowish whitish discharge. I found some things that helped me on this forum but in the end what really worked was the Boric Acid that I took at bed time for 14 days.

Non-albican yeast infections are more stubborn than regular yeast infections. And some do have an odor, not really fishy but like a ripe yeasty smell that lingers in the air even after you leave a room.

And ... you're just talking about YEAST.

Boric acid is a cure for YEAST. That is well-known and no one has disputed it.

Dr. Stewart should have told you that regular acidophilus doesn't have any effect on BV - because that's what she wrote in her book.

Did she diagnose you with BV? Just because you had symptoms similar to BV, it doesn't mean that you had BV.

And none of us have continuing BV problems because we sleep around and don't take care of ourselves, as you previously alleged.

This is a BV group. There is a separate yeast group if you want to share your experiences there.
Sweaty in Social Studies
QUOTE(lori @ Sep 13 2008, 10:52 PM) *
And ... you're just talking about YEAST.

Boric acid is a cure for YEAST. That is well-known and no one has disputed it.

Dr. Stewart should have told you that regular acidophilus doesn't have any effect on BV - because that's what she wrote in her book.

Did she diagnose you with BV? Just because you had symptoms similar to BV, it doesn't mean that you had BV.

And none of us have continuing BV problems because we sleep around and don't take care of ourselves, as you previously alleged.

This is a BV group. There is a separate yeast group if you want to share your experiences there.

Please Lori, don't assume I'm accusing everybody on this forum of being promiscuous just because I said,"it's mainly caused by unhealthy eating habits, drinking/smoking, several sex partners, poor immune system, pollution and so on" . That's what I read from an educational forum. Just relax. And no, Dr.Stewart did not diagnose me with Bacterial Vaginosis, which is why we never talked about it in the first place. But from what I've read on this forum nobody has rid themselves of Bacterial Vaginosis. Maybe things to hide the odor or reduce the symptoms. In the end, holistic treatments don't put up much of a fight against bacteria.

http://www.cdc.gov/STD/BV/STDFact-Bacterial-Vaginosis.htm
lori
QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Sep 14 2008, 01:05 AM) *
Please Lori, don't assume I'm accusing everybody on this forum of being promiscuous just because I said,"it's mainly caused by unhealthy eating habits, drinking/smoking, several sex partners, poor immune system, pollution and so on" . That's what I read from an educational forum. Just relax. And no, Dr.Stewart did not diagnose me with Bacterial Vaginosis, which is why we never talked about it in the first place. But from what I've read on this forum nobody has rid themselves of Bacterial Vaginosis.

Yes, there are people in here who have rid themselves of BV.

You don't know what's going on in this group, you don't know what it's like to have BV - basically, you don't know what you're talking about. But you have had problems with symptoms "similar to BV," so that means you can give us advice about BV? And what you think causes it?

Your presumptuousness is pretty incredible.

Maybe things to hide the odor or reduce the symptoms. In the end, holistic treatments don't put up much of a fight against bacteria.

I do agree with this part (although, isn't boric acid a kind of "holistic" treatment?) A lot of people in here rely on what I call "deodorant" or "maintenance" solutions, and all they do is control the symptoms. I'm constantly advising everyone to not waste their time with shoving all manners of potions up their vaginas, and focus on the proven approaches, but there's only so much one person can do. But I do put the information out there, and plenty of lurkers seem to appreciate it, so as long as it's helping people who want to know it, I guess it's worth it.

The analogy I've used multiples times is: if you have bad breath because of a health problem, thoroughly brushing your teeth and gargling with mouthwash - will make the smell go away for a little while. But it will keep coming back until you do something about the health problem that's causing it. (And BV really is a health problem!)

That's not new information for any of us in here. Most of us know how to google. Your superficial research efforts are not welcome or useful.
DiceKitten
Ok my period just ended and I have that familier buring sensation again!
I hate being a freakin female!

I have been fighting this since I gave birth on June 25th, 2007 I havnt had sex since may 7th, 2008 and I am separated by miles from my fiancee by choice...His sperm has ph balance problem cause he make his own kids. it may be a problem for my vagina. he may be causing this! He wont go for help to the dr tho! GRRRRRR!
(I'm going to end it with him, but he doesnt know it yet)

I've been a good girl under tremendous amout of stress no sex

I even called the famous Dr Laura Berman in Beverly Hills and spoke with her about my problem
if by the 1st of theyear if this does not go away, Im flying to L.A. to see her to get rid of this
Sweaty in Social Studies
QUOTE(lori @ Sep 14 2008, 03:35 PM) *
Yes, there are people in here who have rid themselves of BV.

You don't know what's going on in this group, you don't know what it's like to have BV - basically, you don't know what you're talking about. But you have had problems with symptoms "similar to BV," so that means you can give us advice about BV? And what you think causes it?

Your presumptuousness is pretty incredible.
I do agree with this part (although, isn't boric acid a kind of "holistic" treatment?) A lot of people in here rely on what I call "deodorant" or "maintenance" solutions, and all they do is control the symptoms. I'm constantly advising everyone to not waste their time with shoving all manners of potions up their vaginas, and focus on the proven approaches, but there's only so much one person can do. But I do put the information out there, and plenty of lurkers seem to appreciate it, so as long as it's helping people who want to know it, I guess it's worth it.

The analogy I've used multiples times is: if you have bad breath because of a health problem, thoroughly brushing your teeth and gargling with mouthwash - will make the smell go away for a little while. But it will keep coming back until you do something about the health problem that's causing it. (And BV really is a health problem!)
That's not new information for any of us in here. Most of us know how to google. Your superficial research efforts are not welcome or useful.

I actually do know what's going on in this forum. I've read through most of the posts starting on the 207 page. Boric Acid isn't a holistic treatment. You seem to be very sure of what will and won't work. You've probably tried everything yourself and got no results ... or did you ...
I had actually been on this forum for a while but I forgot my password and had to create a new account.
Sweaty in Social Studies aka SweetSimplicity

Remember?
neverending
QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Sep 15 2008, 10:57 PM) *
I actually do know what's going on in this forum. I've read through most of the posts starting on the 207 page. Boric Acid isn't a holistic treatment. You seem to be very sure of what will and won't work. You've probably tried everything yourself and got no results ... or did you ...
I had actually been on this forum for a while but I forgot my password and had to create a new account.

Remember?

SweetSimplicity? Girl, where have you been? Happy to see you back. Where is Sassy and Jewels and Konphusion and the list goes on and on right? LOL......I hope all is well.
Peace!
dani1983
QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Sep 12 2008, 03:55 PM) *

Can be true in some cases, but not in all of them. I'm 99.9999% sure my BV was triggered when I started having sex with my ex. God knows why, maybe cause he was smoking pot 24/7 and my hoohah didn't like pot-infused-spunk? who knows. anyways, it's definitely not drinking/smoking, for i've been doing both since I was 15 (we are early starters in my country :-p) .
I really have no idea what else to do to fight this BV...if it IS BV...I'm going to the doctor next week and we'll see what she has to say. Fem-d doesn't seem to be working for me...but maybe because flagyl didn't do anything to my BV. I might have to ask for the metrogel this time.
dani1983
QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Sep 15 2008, 05:57 PM) *

Remember?

Hah I remember you too! I too forgot my password and had to create a new account. I've been here since forever too. phew, i feel so old now, time goes flying by!
konphusion26
QUOTE(neverending @ Sep 15 2008, 08:13 PM) *
SweetSimplicity? Girl, where have you been? Happy to see you back. Where is Sassy and Jewels and Konphusion and the list goes on and on right? LOL......I hope all is well.
Peace!

Heyyyy Neverending! (((to the bv busties))) - I'm still around, just dealing with a different pain in the butt now. Recurrent yeast. So unless my docs were misdiagnosing me with the BV before, my problem has changed. I still check in on you gals even if I don't post. My heart really goes out to all of you! I remember trying everything and getting no results. The doctors pretty much gave up too. Thankfully (if one could be thankful for one over the other) I just use the boric acid for a few days and I'm good till the next go round.

I don't know why this crap happens to us, I just wish I had a magic potion to make it all go away. Or at least had a rewind button to go back to the times when our vaginas were problem free!
lori
QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Sep 15 2008, 07:58 PM) *
Heyyyy Neverending! (((to the bv busties))) - I'm still around, just dealing with a different pain in the butt now. Recurrent yeast. So unless my docs were misdiagnosing me with the BV before, my problem has changed.

It's possible to have both.

QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Sep 15 2008, 07:58 PM) *
I just use the boric acid for a few days and I'm good till the next go round.

I'm not sure that's a good idea, to just use it for a few days until the symptoms are gone. That might be why it recurs all the time. You should use it for two weeks straight, and make sure you kill the sucker once and for all. Have you tried that?

(I know that you never really kill off all the yeast, but you know what I mean.)
jewelscando
DID I HEAR SOMEONE MENTION MY NAME????? HAHAHAHAH

HELLO FRIENDS!!!

I'm still around... just not a Bustie anymore!! I read just a few threads, and thought, wow, things just don't ever change now do they? hahaha tongue.gif

Hence the reason why I do not come here very often anymore. STRESS IS A BV NIGHTMARE for me!! (I do not even lurk... I just stop by every few months to say hello)

I'm still BV FREE... and to agree with Lori.. THERE ARE WOMEN ON HERE WHO HAVE HAD SUCCESS... Me being 1 of them. I suffered from BV for MANY YEARS, and found my cure in a couple of areas:

#1. Left the cheating boyfriend
#2. Stopped stressing
#3. Most Importantly: Tea Tree Oil Suppositories (Vaginally)

I no longer suffer from BV, however, I don't think I will ever completely feel 100% confident, regardless of how long I go without BV. Once you have it, and especially, as long as alot of us have, it's always somewhere in the back of your mind, hoping it won't present itself!

I still Smoke, I still drink coffee, and eat sugar... However, the 3 things above, is what I changed.

I still have not used another TTO, in forever, because I do not need to. I have rid myself of it, and I will continue to have positive thoughts, because I truly believe, that the negativity, played a huge roll, in my BV.

Anyways.... I just wanted to say Hello to everyone.. Lori.. Neverending.. Sassy...

And I will continue to support Lori, and her blogs, and whatever it is that she says... She may come across "Rude" or "Condenscending" (however you spell it! haha) but LORI KNOWS WHAT SHE'S TALKING ABOUT. She has spent more hours, then anyone I know, getting her facts straight, and she is MOST concerned about people taking matters into their own hands, and hurting themselves (like I did with Boric Acid)!!

Good luck Ladies.. and I will see you all again with an update in a few months!!!

konphusion26
QUOTE(lori @ Sep 15 2008, 11:52 PM) *
It's possible to have both.
I'm not sure that's a good idea, to just use it for a few days until the symptoms are gone. That might be why it recurs all the time. You should use it for two weeks straight, and make sure you kill the sucker once and for all. Have you tried that?
(I know that you never really kill off all the yeast, but you know what I mean.)

Sorry for the derailment ladies smile.gif I know all too well about the cycle of BV/yeast - take the antibiotics, yeast infection comes after, and so on.

Thanks for the suggestion Lori, never thought of it that way. I think the longest I've ever used it was a week straight. And I was good for a while after that. I hope you don't have to deal with this sh** anymore Lori!!

(((Jewels))) YAYYYY!!! *does happy dance for Jewels*

neverending
I'm glad to see the old busties still come around.

CONGRATS JEWELS!
Italianwife88
QUOTE(lori @ Sep 12 2008, 09:14 PM) *
Thanks for sharing that, sooo sad.

So guys can carry BV. This is definitely interesting.

So did your guy get treatment? Any improvement afterwards?

wait... hold on... so guys can carry this? i dindt find the response to the question about if your guy got treated, did he?

sorry i haven't been on in a while... still battling this. just did metrogel and doing a diflucan for what i guess is yeast ill let you know what happens. im about to get my period too, it sucks. I hope i can clear this up for a while, my husband just got his green card and were planning for italy smile.gif
sooo sad
QUOTE(Italianwife88 @ Sep 16 2008, 09:20 PM) *
wait... hold on... so guys can carry this? i dindt find the response to the question about if your guy got treated, did he?

sorry i haven't been on in a while... still battling this. just did metrogel and doing a diflucan for what i guess is yeast ill let you know what happens. im about to get my period too, it sucks. I hope i can clear this up for a while, my husband just got his green card and were planning for italy smile.gif

yes, my boyfriend got treated and since he's been treated we've been VERY careful about using condoms because i'm still not bv free yet. btw...don't use condoms that have spermicide, very bad, bad for the vagina!! i recommend trojan ultrathin condoms, they're are super duper thin, feels like you're not even using one.... tongue.gif i don't want it to be passed back and forth. bv can survive and live at the tip of the penis cause it's dark and moist. i was totally shocked when the results came in huh.gif i noticed that before he was treated my bv would be really bad....full blown when we didn't use condoms. however, since he's been treated and we're using condoms it hasn't been as bad but i think it's still there not to sure. i finished a round of antibiotics a couple of weeks ago and since then i've been doing boric acid every night. i plan on doing this til the end of the week then i'm gonna do boric acid every other day for about a few weeks then probably down to 2-3 times a week. still gonna use condoms until i'm 100% sure this bv crap is gone for good.

hope this helps!!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.