Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109
LoveStinks
Hello Everybody :D

This is my first time posting and it's been really hard trying to get on here. There is some really good information on this site the "Best" one so far. I'm glad I find you guys. I have had BV for about a year now and my BIGGEST problem is odor, no bad discharge, itch, redness, or nothing just "ODOR". It get bad a night about 6 or 7 p.m. it's weird. At night the whole house smells like funk...or something dead. I have to burn candles and spray the house all the times this BV is serious and I'm seriously trying to get rid of this odor. Does anyone else have to use candle or sprays to help with the odor in your place?
kegom
Hi Y'all

You are never going to beleive me when I say that I have been BV free for 5 weeks now! Remember when i claimed that I was bv free the last time when i was using Vit C tablet (inserting them vaginally)? But now I have not douched, no intravaginal capsules. Just a lifestyle change. And sometimes its dificullt but my vagina has been feeling good, if not great. I got to find out that I was lactose intolerant 6-7 weeks ago.I cut out all milk and milk products and I also cut out bread (white flour) and all sugar. However the thing about sugar is that I think that If I have limited amounts I still am fine just have to limit it. i exercise (even though sometimes I lapse- like my first two weeks fo the experiment). I also sometimes crave sweet stuff. I am now taking a different probiotic (Probiflora strain 4) twice daily and the funny thing about this is that I have been BV free for 5 weeks and have been taking this probiotic for 5 weeks as well. I dont know whether this probiotic alone works, then i can eat sweets and other junk. As for my lactose intolerance Im not sure how it fits here. I have this theory: I do not posess enough Lactase to digest lactose so my good bacteria (lactobacillus) spends most of its time trying to break down this tough sugar (lactose) and then the bad bacteria then takes over, colonising my interstines and ultimately my vagina resulting in all the bad smells. Also I'm still using protex to shower and bath but once the current stock is finished Illl start using dove (has the correct ph) for my daily bath/shower. So we'll see what happens. So far so good and I plan to lead a lifestyle that will get rid of this monster after 9 years!
lykafishouttawater
Hello ladies....I am new to not only this site but this whole form thing also. I have been suffering from BV and yeast infections for 6 years now.
I thought I was the only one to think this was not normal..unlike so many doctors I have visited. I had my first battle with BV when I got an IUD...though I am now rid of the IUD unfortunately the BV didn't go with it.
I just found you so I haven't read all...let alone tried any of your remedies yet. Anyone want to throw a starting suggestion my way?

Thanx in advance
Lolasaurus
Hey, just joined after (slowly but surely) reading through this thread.

Figured I'd throw my hat into the ring. maybe it'll help me now, and someone else, later!

My history, in brief: yeast, monistat, more yeast, Zazole cream, funky smell, Clindesse, discovery of this thread, tea tree oil, boric acid, homeopathy, prayer... I even lost my beloved Mirena IUD, for fear it was making things worse!

A bit over a week ago, I saw a new GYN. he gave me a week of Flagyl and sent for cultures. I finished the Flagyl (miiiiiserable! I feel for you ladies on 14-day courses. you're probably stronger than I am), was taking FemD religiously, and assuming things would eventually get better.

Just got a call this morning-- cultures came back, and I have Strep B and yeast, not gardnerella? he gave me a script for Amoxicillin and 2 Diflucan. I'm currently planning to follow Dr's orders, while sticking to the FemD, orally.

So there's my vagina's biography, on the Internet, for all to see rolleyes.gif

Anyway, relevant news/question for all of you:
Maybe it's been posted here, before, and I forgot about it, but I read on a maybe-iffy site(? http://www.wdxcyber.com/npapvg11.htm) that Clindesse cream "is no longer approved because it results in a strep vaginosis" ? have any of you heard about this, maybe from a more reputable source? it makes me fucking homicidal to consider the festering marriage of incompetence and greed that is the medical BUSINESS.

Anyway, hello, good luck, etc!

Edited to add:
The naturalist I saw (also an MD) said that it does a ladysystem good to take flax oil from day 1 of your period until day 14 of that cycle, and evening primrose oil from day 15 till you bleed again... I've seen mention of both fatty acids, but not this particular plan. I just wonder if anyone here's got thoughts on it.
lori
QUOTE(Lolasaurus @ Sep 18 2008, 03:47 PM) *
Anyway, relevant news/question for all of you:
Maybe it's been posted here, before, and I forgot about it, but I read on a maybe-iffy site(? http://www.wdxcyber.com/npapvg11.htm) that Clindesse cream "is no longer approved because it results in a strep vaginosis" ? have any of you heard about this, maybe from a more reputable source? it makes me fucking homicidal to consider the festering marriage of incompetence and greed that is the medical BUSINESS.

Thank you so much for sharing that, Lola!

That is very important news for everyone to know. I noted in my blog that clindamycin may cause Strep D overgrowth (I saw it in The V Book and thought it was important.) However, this is the first I've heard that clindamycin is now no longer approved for this reason.

So, the important stuff we've learned recently:

- guys can carry gardnerella! (thanks sooo sad)

- clindamycin is no longer approved for BV because it can cause strep vaginosis! (thanks Lolasaurus)

Thanks again, you guys, for contributing good and relevant research. This is stuff that everyone really needs to know!
neverending
So NOW they are claiming men carry Gardenella. So, what are they going to do to treat men? Are they going to use the same methods? Funny, most men won't care enough to get treated. They don't really have a ewww factor when it comes to stuff like this. They'll be like "It's just bacteria not an STD". So either way the problem won't be solved. I know most male doctor's would tell me "it's just bacteria". They really don't think it's a big deal. I even had 2 docs hit on me and I thought " I hate these folks". They really don't realize what most women here go through even though they can now get /carry BV . It's just not the same BUT I do hope they finally get with the program. You ladies have a wonderful weekend!
dani1983
so i suppose that this new finding makes BV an STD? (not an STD for girls who get it while being virgins)
makes sense, since I've said before that I'm 99.9999% sure that I got BV from my ex bf.
lori
QUOTE(dani1983 @ Sep 20 2008, 10:09 AM) *
so i suppose that this new finding makes BV an STD? (not an STD for girls who get it while being virgins)

I don't think that's what it means, exactly, since what we learned is anecdotal evidence from one person. However, I'm willing to bet that sooo sad is not the only one. And it gives us another big clue in how to deal with BV.

QUOTE(dani1983 @ Sep 20 2008, 10:09 AM) *
makes sense, since I've said before that I'm 99.9999% sure that I got BV from my ex bf.

Many people in here have suspected that it was one specific guy in their lives that caused their BV. A lot of people assumed that their semen had low pH or something. Now we learned something else.

Anyway, I think this just adds support to the idea that getting the guy treated is an important step. (I guess he would take flagyl, because he can't use metrogel! laugh.gif ) There have been ladies in here who did take flagyl with their guy, and have been very successful. So I suggested this method in my blog, too.

I honestly don't know any guy who's going to refuse to take a week of pills that's going to make his girlfriend/wife (possibly) feel so much better. Yes, he's also going to have to stop drinking for a week. Whoop-dee-doo. If he can't make that little sacrifice for you ... what can I tell you? He's a fucking loser. No self-respecting woman would stay with a guy like that. That's my opinion.
sassy
This is confusing to me. My doctor says guys cannot get it and I've read online both opinions...so which is it?? I know I've read on this forum that treating a guy has both helped and not helped. I'm pretty sure Jewels had her boyfriend treated and it never helped her out. unsure.gif And for me, I had BV while I was a virgin and since I've been having sex, I would use condoms after I took BV medication and it still came back.
sooo sad
QUOTE(sassy @ Sep 21 2008, 11:02 AM) *
This is confusing to me. My doctor says guys cannot get it and I've read online both opinions...so which is it?? I know I've read on this forum that treating a guy has both helped and not helped. I'm pretty sure Jewels had her boyfriend treated and it never helped her out. unsure.gif And for me, I had BV while I was a virgin and since I've been having sex, I would use condoms after I took BV medication and it still came back.

i believe that when i was having sex and my bv wasn't cured yet that the bacterial was living and surviving at the hole of my boyfriend's penis. because when we had sex, the next day the bv was really full blown, but when we use condoms it's not as bad. just a theory but i know for 100% sure that when my boyfriend's affirm test came back positive..... men can carry bv and they get it from someone that has bv, so it's possible for this damn bv from hell to be passed back and forth.....
lori
QUOTE(sooo sad @ Sep 21 2008, 03:47 PM) *
i believe that when i was having sex and my bv wasn't cured yet that the bacterial was living and surviving at the hole of my boyfriend's penis. because when we had sex, the next day the bv was really full blown, but when we use condoms it's not as bad. just a theory but i know for 100% sure that when my boyfriend's affirm test came back positive..... men can carry bv and they get it from someone that has bv, so it's possible for this damn bv from hell to be passed back and forth.....

And it's very useful information, so thanks for sharing, sooo sad.

No one said this is the only way you get BV, or the only way to cure it. But knowing that this can happen is still useful information, and one more piece of the puzzle.
Ronia D'Arc
This morning I woke up from a dream about having skin cancer. In the dream, I could see my body--although it looked healthy and fine, free of strange moles and signs of sickness, I could hear a voice saying clearly "Everything seems normal, but the cancer is there inside you, and it continues to grow steadily."

This dream, and the fact that throughout the day I was aware of strange sensations in my body--sensations that I have felt on and off, to varying degrees, over the past few years--made me wonder if I am truly healthy, or if I am doomed.

The sensations are basically dull aches, and they happen all over my body in a seemingly random way, lasting no more than 20 seconds at a time. A couple of years ago, they became so pronounced and frequent that I went to Urgent Care, where the physician who saw me was kind and concerned but mystified, and I don't blame her, because it does sound weird and probably like I'm a total hypochondriac.

I don't think I'm so much a hypochondriac as a total and complete worrier.

When I had Sula, I became paranoid about my health, or, more specifically, about my mortality. Suddenly, I was afraid of dying. I was afraid of dying in a plane crash, I was afraid of dying of a brain tumor, I was afraid of dying at the hands of our then-landlord's son, who I saw angrily destroying a bike in the field behind our house and who I decided was on meth and plotting to kill us in the night. One day, after reading an article on breast cancer, I felt around in my right armpit and discovered a big, round lump. I found another smaller lump higher up from the first one, and then I found another lump in my left armpit.

I made an appointment with my doctor, who couldn't feel any of the lumps (they were kind of slippery and buried under some fatty skin) but who referred me to a surgeon specializing in breast cancer. The surgeon gently pressed his fingers into my armpits and thought he felt something, so he ordered some chest x-rays and blood tests, all of which came back negative. Normal. Healthy.

At my third visit with the surgeon, who was by now outright skeptical, I raised the issue of having one of the lumps removed. Would that be possible? Could he take one out and have it examined to make sure that I really was ok--to make sure that I really was cancer-free?

The surgeon explained that having a lymph node (he was pretty sure that the lumps were enlarged lymph nodes) removed is actually a pretty big deal. As in, things might not function normally after that. Drainage of fluids might not work very well anymore. You might really regret it, is what he conveyed, and which I believed: this was serious stuff I was considering. Still, I made the appointment.

I requested a few days off from work, because I wouldn't be able to lift my arm for a little while, and steeled myself for an experience that caused me almost as much stress as the thought of maybe having cancerous lumps in my armpits: was I doing the right thing, or was I doing the completely wrong thing? Would I regret this the rest of my life? Was I a crazy hypochondriac?

Meanwhile, I continued to feel the strange, fleeting, all-over body aches from time to time, and something like a hot sensation in my right armpit--hard to explain, except that it felt like something was happening in there. Something that shouldn't be happening. I continued to worry, to imagine myself dying in a year, leaving my little girl motherless, and finally it was the day before surgery, and then I got cold feet and I cancelled the appointment.

That was two years ago, and I'm still worried about what's going on in my armpits. I still dig my fingers in there a few times each day to make sure that a new lump hasn't popped up or that one of the old ones hasn't grown to the size of a ping-pong ball. I've been aware of the aching sensations more frequently lately, but I have to wonder: could it be caused by stress? By fatigue? After all, my bottom right eyelid has been twitching for the past couple of weeks--could tiredness have induced these weird feelings, too?

The bottom line is that I'm afraid. I'm afraid almost all of the time. I'm afraid of dying, because Sula would not have me to there to take care of her, to love her and protect her and be the mother she deserves to have, and I'm afraid of something happening to her--I am so, so afraid of something happening to her.

It seems like every day there is another horrifying story in the news--tonight, I read about a man who, after seeing a little boy's picture in the paper (the boy had won a kite contest), he stalked the boy, kidnapped him, raped him, and killed him.

I read stories like this, and I wonder, how am I going to do this? How am I going to ensure that my precious daughter lives a long, happy, healthy life? How am I going to protect her from the from the sick violent crazy people and the diseases and the hatred and the earthquakes and nature gone berserk?

I don't know, but I do know this: I have this time now when everything is more or less ok. War has not affected me yet, at least not directly, and I have my loved ones, or most of them. I have my family, and as far as I know, I have my health. I have friends, and I live in a beautiful world.

Right now, I'm going to keep thinking about those things and being happy.

Because right now, I am so lucky.

-Ronia

P.S. Yes, I'm totally motherfucking pimping myself here. Want more? Please come to http://roniadarc.blogspot.com
auralpoison
Could you be more insensitive? Bugging the BV girls with your lame shit?! You suck so much that it is physically painful. Cram your shitty blog sideways up your ass!

Uh, no, we don't want more. I tried, I failed. YOUR BLOG SUCKS. YOU ARE ABOUT AS INTERESTING AS LINT! GO THE FUCK AWAY!
sooo sad
QUOTE(lori @ Sep 21 2008, 07:04 PM) *
And it's very useful information, so thanks for sharing, sooo sad.

No one said this is the only way you get BV, or the only way to cure it. But knowing that this can happen is still useful information, and one more piece of the puzzle.

no problem lori!!!!

i just hope this helps us ladies that are dealing with this thing, it is absolutely a piece of the puzzle!!!!
catwalk
Was doing well for a few weeks..... am taking all those pills, etc. Last week had my period Mon-Fri, I had a few stressful days Thurs-Sunday.... had more sex than usual (4 times in the last week), and did not use protection (or pull out) on one of my last period days.

Today (Tuesday) the awful smell is back, and some discharge. sad.gif

I want to CRY.

I'm ready to get the boric acid or Vit C pills out for vaginal suppository tonight...... but now I've heard bad stories for both on here and am afraid to try. Suggestions?
horror_movie
[font="Comic Sans MS"][/font][size="3"][/size] i been suffering from trichnomaisis for 3 months. I didn't know i had it until second month. I lost my job because my co workers and boss couldn't stand the smell. I been in the house every since only go outside twice a week. My parents are getting sick of me being in the house. i'm scare to have sex period until this get out my system but it taking to long. I TOOK METRO to get rid of it but it didn't work at all. Doctors don't take the time to help you instead they make you feel more crazy (paranoid). i been reading blog from other woman that had this problem SINCE 2006 and still going through it. i don't want that in my life i want to be NORMAL AGAIN. IM GOING BACK TO THE DOCTOR A 3RD TIME FOR MORE MEDS. please God help us all with this problem there is a Cure and if we stick together we can make it happen. dry.gif
neverending
QUOTE(catwalk @ Sep 24 2008, 12:01 AM) *
Was doing well for a few weeks..... am taking all those pills, etc. Last week had my period Mon-Fri, I had a few stressful days Thurs-Sunday.... had more sex than usual (4 times in the last week), and did not use protection (or pull out) on one of my last period days.

I want to CRY.

I'm ready to get the boric acid or Vit C pills out for vaginal suppository tonight...... but now I've heard bad stories for both on here and am afraid to try. Suggestions?

Uh, why didn't you make him pull out? Do not let a man cum in unless you are somewhat sure this is over with. Hope things go well for you hun.
neverending
QUOTE(horror_movie @ Sep 24 2008, 05:05 AM) *
[font="Comic Sans MS"][/font][size="3"][/size] i been suffering from trichnomaisis for 3 months. I didn't know i had it until second month. I lost my job because my co workers and boss couldn't stand the smell. I been in the house every since only go outside twice a week. My parents are getting sick of me being in the house. i'm scare to have sex period until this get out my system but it taking to long. I TOOK METRO to get rid of it but it didn't work at all. Doctors don't take the time to help you instead they make you feel more crazy (paranoid). i been reading blog from other woman that had this problem SINCE 2006 and still going through it. i don't want that in my life i want to be NORMAL AGAIN. IM GOING BACK TO THE DOCTOR A 3RD TIME FOR MORE MEDS. please God help us all with this problem there is a Cure and if we stick together we can make it happen. dry.gif

Are you sure it's trich? That must have been a wrong diagnosis. I suggest you go back to the doctor and get re-tested. I've never heard of chronic trich though it may be, I dunno. When you have BV it can come up as many things. Make sure you get a second or third opinion.
yme30
Horror_movie,

I feel your pain I am still struggling with BV after many, many years. I pray all the time for a cure and I still have hope that one day this will finally go away and never show its ugly, smelly face again mad.gif

Hang in there and everyone else.
lori
QUOTE(horror_movie @ Sep 23 2008, 09:05 PM) *
I TOOK METRO to get rid of it but it didn't work at all.

Trichomoniasis should be cured by oral metronidazole (aka flagyl). Make sure you take the pills, not the vaginal gel (aka metrogel).

Since you're going back to your doctor, ask him/her about Tindamax.

(Also make sure that your partner is treated as well!!!)

QUOTE(catwalk @ Sep 23 2008, 04:01 PM) *

I want to CRY.

Have you tried Fem-dophilus as I previously suggested? From my blog:

Fem-Dophilus (Jarrow)
  • Cons: expensive
  • Conclusion: So far, the this is the most promising and effective product. All the members who have had the best, long-term results have used Fem-Dophilus as a part of their regimen. Highly recommended, based on the research and anecdotal evidence. Buy it refrigerated for maximum potency. (Unfortunately, posters have reported that the bottle arrives warm, even if they select expedited shipping from online merchants who offer cold-packs. So it looks like buying it directly from Whole Foods is the best option.)

Also, don't let anyone being judgmental about your sexual choices bother you. wink.gif
catwalk
QUOTE(lori @ Sep 25 2008, 01:16 AM) *
Have you tried Fem-dophilus as I previously suggested? From my blog:
Also, don't let anyone being judgmental about your sexual choices bother you. wink.gif

THANK YOU!!!!! biggrin.gif I am buying 2 bottles right now ($40 for 2 with shipping), hopefully they will get here soon!
The lactobacillus I'm taking now has HA-135, HA-122 & HA-111 plus another kind that doesn't list them so I guess the GR-1 & RC-14 in Fem-D might be different.

Still not sure if I should try the boric acid while I'm waiting though..... blink.gif

And thanks (about the judgemental comment), "JUST DON'T" doesn't really help eh? wink.gif
It was a 'heat of the moment' sort of thing & I thought it would be ok since I was on my period. I'm almost positive this was triggered by stress though.

It's a bit better already today (no strong smell thankfully, just discharge) so at least I can go to school tonight! unsure.gif
deeseeker
I am dropping it to ask if anyone has or heard of "Streptococcal Group B" My Doctors had been giving my treatments for Bacteria Vaginosis:

Clindamycin Cream= Worked good, but when I stop taking it the discharge and odor came back
Metronidazole Vaginal Gel= Give me a horrible yeast infection, try it at lease 6 differer time, afraid to use that again.
Aci-Jel= Worked for the first three day only,I had to add a probitics in the vagina with the Jel, then it stop working with the probitic.
Miconazole= Worked for my yeast problem only
Tea tree Oil= I guess I will use it tonight (I'm am running out of treatments)
Boric Acid= I don't have Yeast, but have tried making it and using it. After one Day I could not stand the smell coming out of me.
I am taking probitics, Folic Acid, Enzymes, Goldenseal Root and Echinacea , Garlic Pills, Vit C, Muiltivitamin, ACV,

I have had this infection for over a year, I went to a new Doctor, he told me that it's "Streptococcal Group B". He said women have that bacteria in there vagina and it's normal and I don't need treatment. After he told me that I was in total disbelief and so angry. I told him yes I do need treatment I can't keep a job because people keep complianting about the smell . I just cried because I realize he was not going to be much help "either". He give me Amoxciillin for 7 days. After doing some research I believe I need penicillin, Does anyone know it's a form of BV. Nothing is working. Please Help!!! :(
lori
QUOTE(deeseeker @ Sep 27 2008, 01:16 PM) *
I am dropping it to ask if anyone has or heard of "Streptococcal Group B" My Doctors had been giving my treatments for Bacteria Vaginosis:

Clindamycin Cream= Worked good, but when I stop taking it the discharge and odor came back
Metronidazole Vaginal Gel= Give me a horrible yeast infection, try it at lease 6 differer time, afraid to use that again.
Aci-Jel= Worked for the first three day only,I had to add a probitics in the vagina with the Jel, then it stop working with the probitic.
Miconazole= Worked for my yeast problem only
Tea tree Oil= I guess I will use it tonight (I'm am running out of treatments)
Boric Acid= I don't have Yeast, but have tried making it and using it. After one Day I could not stand the smell coming out of me.
I am taking probitics, Folic Acid, Enzymes, Goldenseal Root and Echinacea , Garlic Pills, Vit C, Muiltivitamin, ACV,

I have had this infection for over a year, I went to a new Doctor, he told me that it's "Streptococcal Group B". He said women have that bacteria in there vagina and it's normal and I don't need treatment. After he told me that I was in total disbelief and so angry. I told him yes I do need treatment I can't keep a job because people keep complianting about the smell . I just cried because I realize he was not going to be much help "either". He give me Amoxciillin for 7 days. After doing some research I believe I need penicillin, Does anyone know it's a form of BV. Nothing is working. Please Help!!! sad.gif

Hi deeseeker -

- Amoxicillin IS a form of penicillin
- Strep B isn't BV. It's a good thing you got a diagnosis, because Strep Group B can be very dangerous to your baby during birth. So if you ever get pregnant, you need to tell your OB/GYN to make sure to check for it. (They usually do check for it, so this isn't something you should be alarmed about. But awareness is good.)
- One more thing, other posters have done research and apparently - clindamycin can cause overgrowth of Strep. So it's not a good idea to take that. Keep that in mind for the future.
- Probiotics - just taking any kind of probiotics doesn't help. You need to take the right kind. Read my blog for info. on Fem-dophilus.

My advice:

- See what happens after you're done with Amoxicillin
- Take Fem-dophilus
- At some point, make sure you get a Trichomoniasis test (Affirm test or better); don't rely on wet mount + pap smear
- if you get a BV diagnosis in the future, try oral flagyl (the same medicine [metronidazole] in metrogel)
deeseeker
Thank you Lori,

I have been tested for STD's doing every Doctor's visit for over a year and nothing show up. I do take Fem-dophilus daily, but have stop because of the amoxicillin. I think I need to wait until I am finish the anti-botoics. I have not been sexually active all years, so I really believe that is my issue, the Group B. If the amoxicillin don't stop the discharge and odor then I guess I will try Penicillin, I have not been abusiving anti-botocis, so I hope bewtiween the Two it works for me.
I have doing a lot of research but can't really find what I am looking for a "CURE"!!!!!
lori
QUOTE(deeseeker @ Sep 27 2008, 03:22 PM) *
I do take Fem-dophilus daily, but have stop because of the amoxicillin.

Why? Taking antibiotics is all the more reason to make sure you're taking the Fem-dophilus.

QUOTE(deeseeker @ Sep 27 2008, 03:22 PM) *
If the amoxicillin don't stop the discharge and odor then I guess I will try Penicillin ...

Like I said Amoxicillin IS a form of penicillin. You are taking penicillin right now.
Lolasaurus
QUOTE(deeseeker @ Sep 27 2008, 05:22 PM) *
If the amoxicillin don't stop the discharge and odor then I guess I will try Penicillin

Hey, Dee

I was also diagnosed with a Strep B overgrowth, and given a week of Amoxicillin.

The Amox gave me a raging yeast infection, so if you didn't get a Diflucan script, I'd recommend you asking your doc to call one in, to take with your last dose.

My discharge didn't get completely back to normal at the end of that week (this past Thursday), but I'd hold off on asking for ANY antibiotic for a while... If Amoxicillin is what kills a Strep B overgrowth, I think we oughta give it some time to do its job-- while, of course (is there an echo in here?), taking the Fem-D, twice a day, like your life and vag depend on it.

And if that doesn't work, I plan to take a course of Fem-D vaginally, as suggested on slide 8 of this presentation. I read somewhere that antibiotics are a leading cause of vaginitis, and, the more I read, the more firmly I come to believe that. Kill the bad guys, then do your best to bring back the good ones.

Good luck!
lori
QUOTE(Lolasaurus @ Sep 28 2008, 02:09 PM) *
Hey, Dee

I was also diagnosed with a Strep B overgrowth, and given a week of Amoxicillin.

The Amox gave me a raging yeast infection, so if you didn't get a Diflucan script, I'd recommend you asking your doc to call one in, to take with your last dose.

My discharge didn't get completely back to normal at the end of that week (this past Thursday), but I'd hold off on asking for ANY antibiotic for a while... If Amoxicillin is what kills a Strep B overgrowth, I think we oughta give it some time to do its job-- while, of course (is there an echo in here?), taking the Fem-D, twice a day, like your life and vag depend on it.

Sing it, sister! It can't be repeated often enough.

QUOTE(Lolasaurus @ Sep 28 2008, 02:09 PM) *
And if that doesn't work, I plan to take a course of Fem-D vaginally, as suggested on slide 8 of this presentation. I read somewhere that antibiotics are a leading cause of vaginitis, and, the more I read, the more firmly I come to believe that. Kill the bad guys, then do your best to bring back the good ones.

This can't be repeated often enough, either.
deeseeker
Thank you, I will call my Doctor today and ask for the Diflucan medication, I'm going to start taking the probitics immediately. This is my Fourth day taking Amoxicillin, no real change yet.

Lolasaurus, I hate to ask this question, but do you suffer with any "odor" ? My Doctor's keep telling me that there should not be a odor,!!! Have you seem or felted any improvement yet, in anyway? How long have you had Strep B ? How long did it take for them to find it? I have had Bacteria Vaginosis off and on "I guess" at lease that is what the Doctors have been telling me for the last couple of months. It's not wonder we are our own Doctor!!!

I have read there is a good anti-bacteria injection named Cefoxitin for Strep B . It is one of the best one's out there for Gram Positive Bacteria, But I'm sure no Doctor is going to put us in the Hospital just for shots. I am almost at the end of my rope with this "overgrown". I also learned that Penicillin V is another treatment for Strep B. I know that Amoxicillin is in the Penicillin family but, the treatment for that Rx. is 10 to 14 days. I have read sometimes it take just that long depending on the amount of the overgrown of Bacteria. On a couple of blog that I have read on Yahoo, there was a few people who have use Penicillin V with good success (wish they were still around to question). That is want we are interested in, good success, well, thanks for listening to my thoughts on the matter.

Dee
mikamo0229
hey, im a newbie.... Here are my stats, i was first diagnosed with bv on october 12, 2006. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was under alot of stress from work and school and on a new birth control pill (sprintec). My odor was never the typical "fishy" odor, it always smelled like rotten eggs/ sewer odor, it has ruined my life. The bv triggered epidsodes of anxiety attacks , and I was on the meds for a few months but just felt totally numb so i stopped. My doctors believe that its all in my head, when i get tested no clue cells, but im lacking the good bacteria, and the odor is present and they ignore the smell because there findings cant back anything up. The odor is pungent, i have to cqtch bus to work, and people complain about the odor, they point and say "its that girl ", my coworkers whisper , and cough around me making comments.... i just am at my wits end. ive tried tea tree oil, metro gel, clindesses, flagyl, now im trying boric acid... its soo embarassing.... i wash my vaginal area with water my doctor told me to use unsecented detergent, cotten underwear, you name it i tried.... im so happy to find people who understand my struggle.
dewlissa
Hi all.. i am new here. laugh.gif rolleyes.gif . about one year ago it seems like i started these symptoms.. the discharge.. smell.. i have told my dr that i smell like my grandmother after she uses the toilet.. and sex as well.. its gross and i dont know what it is.. i have hpv.. okay fine.. but i still after continuous negatives coming back have this odor.. i had polyps removed in june 08.. d&c.. thought that would solve it.. it hasnt.. im wondering though.. maybe this isnt our vaginas? and b.v? maybe this is something hormone related and coming from our reproductive organs.. were all getting negative tests.. i mean ive had garnerella b4.. took metrogel and it cleared up in like 2 days smell was gone.. so it worked.. wink.gif

this other shit we all have here HAS to be something else.. some days i have no discharge(still odor though)stron g ammonia like.. and other days im leaking all over the place.. its killed my sex life.. ! killed it!!! im stressed.. depressed.. i just want it fixed... just want to tell my dr to take it out.. my uterus.. why do i need it anyway mad.gif .. i mean if someone hasnt had this b4.. i was perfectly healthy.. why all of a sudden.. been having marital problems big time.. but i dont know.. started taking femenol about 3 or 4 days ago.. still a smell.. its just a theory i suggested.. but is it a possibility?? i cannot live my life like this.. as a girl i cannot..and will not accept that this is the way im going to be for the rest of my life.. thanks for listening..

and letting me vent.. an answer please??? unsure.gif
Lolasaurus
Strep B overgrowth, even full-blown, doesn't smell as strongly as BV. maybe that's what your doc meant? or, that the smell should die, immediately, in response to the Amoxicillin? hm. I didn't stop smelling till the last day or two of my treatment-- even then, I was drier than is normal for me, but I attributed that to yeast. I got my period two days after my drugs-week ended, so I'm gonna have to wait and see how things are doing, in another week.

And, my guess is that I got Strep B in early August, but it's hard to say, for sure. since June, I've been bouncing between (what I was told was) BV, yeast, and the corresponding drugs for said infections. didn't learn of my Strep party till the 18th of this month, when I got cultures back from a new gyno.

Thanks for the info on the extended -cillin family! hopefully neither of us will need it, but I like to have new questions to bring around to the doctor, whenever I go. frankly, I would be LIVID if it turned out that my doc gave me two courses of the WRONG drugs. you'd assume antibiotic resistance to be some pretty Med School 101 stuff, but I guess it's easy to forget about, in the face of all those tasty copays.

Keep me posted on how your case goes... Strep Sister sad.gif
deeseeker
Okay. I totally needs some help here..... I was fortune enough to seen by my GYN Doctor today. The Amoxicilli gave me, what I felt was a yeast infection, after my GYN examine me she told me it was "NOT YEAST"!! I ask her what is it, she say "Just Discharge" mad.gif Now I don't mean to be gross (please forgive me) but, there was clumps of discharge falling out of me!!!!!! huh.gif

Question: Would someone please explain the meaning of "die offs", I am totally confused!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and Welcome Newbie! biggrin.gif
mikamo0229
well, i asked my doctor to test for strep b , she said its not of concern if im not pregnant, but this odor is so pungent.... it grosses me out ! I need advice, she thinks im over reacting, well she is not the one with a smelly whoo hah !
Hey, Dee

Good luck!
[/quote]
deeseeker
Hey Milkamo0229,

OMG, I feel your pain I went thur the same thing. My GYN doctor kept telling me it was "Bacteria Vaginosis", but most of the time they could not find any clue cells. I am not pushing the Depression medicate but if you need it, you need it, I am on it and it has stop me from going over the edge and kicking somebody "*#?:*#&$" a few times. Sometimes you have to try differ Medicates until you find one that work for "YOU", you will know the "Right One" when you take it. Give it a week to see if you adjust, sometimes the first few day will let you know if it going to work for you.

People can be so careless with there mouth. I truly understand what you are saying! Have you tried going to another Doctor? It took over a year and I'm just finding out about Strep B. I still don't know if it Strep B, Yeast, or BV....still hopeful this will come to a end soon!

I am a Newbie too and Lolassaurus and Lois, has been a "big help".....Thanks Guys........just keep us posted and try some of the methods on this site (one at a time) it should help you.

Take Care, Dee
deeseeker
Hey Dewllissa,

Don't believe every advertised products for Bacterial Vaginosisi, that you read........end of Subject !!!!
Make sure you get your results from other's would has tried that product, to save yourself some money.

I "HAVE TO" believe that this is going to end some day soon, if I lose hope...."I will lose".......Stay hopeful too l!

Dee
mikamo0229
Thanks for the advice. Its been an uphill battle, and im so sick of it. My cousin is going through the same thing, now my doctors are trying to convince me it is coming from somewhere else ... omg..... they just go by the books when their uncertain themselves...but two years is a long time to be fighting and i tried everything, i hope this boric acid works, i also ordered the fem.d , i tried it before but i was not consistent.... i also know that i need to reduce my stress.... this is so time consuming..... aand its hard because i stopped going to school behind this, i only take online classes.... and how can i take speech online ?lol. sad.gif

Hey Milkamo0229,

OMG, I feel your pain I went thur the same thing. My GYN doctor kept telling me it was "Bacteria Vaginosis", but most of the time they could not find any clue cells. I am not pushing the Depression medicate but if you need it, you need it, I am on it and it has stop me from going over the edge and kicking somebody "*#?:*#&$" a few times. Sometimes you have to try differ Medicates until you find one that work for "YOU", you will know the "Right One" when you take it. Give it a week to see if you adjust, sometimes the first few day will let you know if it going to work for you.

People can be so careless with there mouth. I truly understand what you are saying! Have you tried going to another Doctor? It took over a year and I'm just finding out about Strep B. I still don't know if it Strep B, Yeast, or BV....still hopeful this will come to a end soon!

I am a Newbie too and Lolassaurus and Lois, has been a "big help".....Thanks Guys........just keep us posted and try some of the methods on this site (one at a time) it should help you.

Take Care, Dee
[/quote]
horror_movie
NEVERENDING WHAT HAPPEND TO YOU!!! YOU DISAPPEAR FOR AWHILE DID YOU FIND A CURE AND HOLDING OUT ON US!!! THANKS FOR EVERYONE REPLY ON MY BLOG. IT'S CRAZY THAT THESES DOCTORS GET PAID LOT OF MY MONEY TO TELL PATIENTS IT ALL IN THERE HEAD blink.gif . THEY ACT LIKE THEY DON'T SMELL NOTHING WHILE RUBBING THEIR NOSES ON THE SNEAK TIP. I STOP DRINKING JUICE OR SODA NOW I DRINK ONLY VITAMIN WATER AND TAKE BOOST IMMUNE SYSTEM RITAID BRAND 250MG IT HAS VITAMIN C AND ASCORBIC ACID,CELLULOSE,LACTOSE,STEARIC ACID,CROSCARMELLOSE,SODUIM AND ASTEARIC ACID. IM GOING TO GET FEMDO PILLS AND CLEANSING DETOX DRINK WHICH LAST ABOUT 2 HR(I WILL LET YALL KNOW THE NAME OF THE DRINK TOMORROW). I WILL DRINK THE DETOX DRINK B4 USING ANY VITAMIN PILLS IMMA WAIT UNTIL THE DRINK WEAR OFF THEN START BACK WITH THE PILLS. HELPING MY BODY GET RID OF WASTE. IMMA TRY NOT TO STRESS MYSELF OUT GO BACK TO THE DOCTOR FOR MY MEDS THRUSDAY. FROM THERE IM GOING LET YALL KNOW THE OUTCOME.
BUT ONE QUESTION B4 I GO DO YALL EVER FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE INSIDE FEVER IT FEEL LIKE MENOPAUSE??????{IT DON'T HAVE TO HAPPEN ALL THE TIME BUT SOMETIMES} NOW IM 20 I KNOW I SHOULDN'T BE GOING THROUGH THAT NOW rolleyes.gif
horror_movie
QUOTE(mikamo0229 @ Sep 29 2008, 08:57 PM) *
Thanks for the advice. Its been an uphill battle, and im so sick of it. My cousin is going through the same thing, now my doctors are trying to convince me it is coming from somewhere else ... omg..... they just go by the books when their uncertain themselves...but two years is a long time to be fighting and i tried everything, i hope this boric acid works, i also ordered the fem.d , i tried it before but i was not consistent.... i also know that i need to reduce my stress.... this is so time consuming..... aand its hard because i stopped going to school behind this, i only take online classes.... and how can i take speech online ?lol. sad.gif
Hey Milkamo0229,

Take Care, Dee

YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO TOOK OFF A SEMESTER SO YOU NOT ALONE. I HAVE TO TWO CHILDREN AND I FEEL SO HELPLESS I CAN'T HELP THEIR FATHER PROVIDE MONEY SO WE CAN MOVE OUT. BUY DIAPERS. FOOD. I FEEL LIKE I PUT THE WHOLE WEIGHT ON HIS SHOULDER BCUZ OF THIS ODOR. WE GOT PUT A STAND TO THIS AND WORK TOGETHER SO ME AND YOU CAN GO BACK TO SCHOOL, WORK AND FEEL COMFORTABLE ABOUT OUR ENVIRONMENT. WE NEED TO STICK TOGETHER IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE AND WERE GOING MAKE IT HAPPEN. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND DON'T LET THIS GET THE BEST OF YOU BCUZ IM NOT. wink.gif
damselindistress
just adding my two cents
My story is the same: culture after culture, negative, medicine after medicine, then Group B, something else....who knows? No smell, just itch and discharge of all variations. sigh
I also have had HPV for a long time, but the Dr. says it has nothing to do with this. My teenage daughter has been going through the same thing. another sigh
Something just isn't right here with these diagnoses; there's got to be a better explanation.
sooo sad
QUOTE(damselindistress @ Sep 30 2008, 08:46 AM) *
just adding my two cents
My story is the same: culture after culture, negative, medicine after medicine, then Group B, something else....who knows? No smell, just itch and discharge of all variations. sigh
I also have had HPV for a long time, but the Dr. says it has nothing to do with this. My teenage daughter has been going through the same thing. another sigh
Something just isn't right here with these diagnoses; there's got to be a better explanation.

damselindistress

just wondering......what kind of hpv do you have? i have low risk hpv and i just found out june of this year. i wonder if it is related in some kind of way. even if drs say it isn't, there still is a possiblility.

sooo sad
damselindistress
QUOTE(sooo sad @ Sep 30 2008, 10:51 AM) *
damselindistress

just wondering......what kind of hpv do you have? i have low risk hpv and i just found out june of this year. i wonder if it is related in some kind of way. even if drs say it isn't, there still is a possiblility.

sooo sad

low risk here too, at least I guess
I have had low risk symptoms and treated twice now, but then told the tests all come back negative time and time again....so I don't have it. Huh?? The infection stuff was never diagnosed until I started seeing a new GYN, after I'd been with my parther for about a year and a half. That was a year and a half ago.
I've heard from an awful lot of people that they have HPV and also have infection problems....but there were also many years that I probably had HPV, but didn't have the infection stuff going on. I was never diagnosed with any kind of infection until recently on my first visit to the new DR, told it was mild but we could treat it anyway. After my first round of treatment started, the symptoms got worse. Before, I had always thought I just had normal changes in discharge. I don't know. huh.gif
sooo sad
QUOTE(damselindistress @ Sep 30 2008, 11:08 AM) *
I have had low risk symptoms and treated twice now, but then told the tests all come back negative time and time again....so I don't have it. Huh?? The infection stuff was never diagnosed until I started seeing a new GYN, after I'd been with my parther for about a year and a half. That was a year and a half ago.
I've heard from an awful lot of people that they have HPV and also have infection problems....but there were also many years that I probably had HPV, but didn't have the infection stuff going on. I was never diagnosed with any kind of infection until recently on my first visit to the new DR, told it was mild but we could treat it anyway. After my first round of treatment started, the symptoms got worse. Before, I had always thought I just had normal changes in discharge. I don't know. huh.gif

thanks for sharing hon....this stuff is the shiets for real!!!! the thing about you not having hpv now is kinda true in a sense that your body recognizes the hpv and suppresses it to the point to where it doesn't show up on paps. this process takes about a year or two..... but it doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have it anymore. anyhow.....it does mean that you are hpv "free".....you and your partner can't pass it back and forth. your bodys' recognize it now, but on the other hand if you come in contact with a different hpv strain that your body doesn't recognize you will be infected again.
neverending
QUOTE(mikamo0229 @ Sep 29 2008, 08:25 PM) *
hey, im a newbie.... Here are my stats, i was first diagnosed with bv on october 12, 2006. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was under alot of stress from work and school and on a new birth control pill (sprintec). My odor was never the typical "fishy" odor, it always smelled like rotten eggs/ sewer odor, it has ruined my life. The bv triggered epidsodes of anxiety attacks , and I was on the meds for a few months but just felt totally numb so i stopped. My doctors believe that its all in my head, when i get tested no clue cells, but im lacking the good bacteria, and the odor is present and they ignore the smell because there findings cant back anything up. The odor is pungent, i have to cqtch bus to work, and people complain about the odor, they point and say "its that girl ", my coworkers whisper , and cough around me making comments.... i just am at my wits end. ive tried tea tree oil, metro gel, clindesses, flagyl, now im trying boric acid... its soo embarassing.... i wash my vaginal area with water my doctor told me to use unsecented detergent, cotten underwear, you name it i tried.... im so happy to find people who understand my struggle.

How old are you love? Have you heard of Atrophic vaginitis with secondary bacterial. infection? Look it up and make your own decision.
neverending
QUOTE(horror_movie @ Sep 30 2008, 08:29 AM) *
NEVERENDING WHAT HAPPEND TO YOU!!! YOU DISAPPEAR FOR AWHILE DID YOU FIND A CURE AND HOLDING OUT ON US!!! THANKS FOR EVERYONE REPLY ON MY BLOG. IT'S CRAZY THAT THESES DOCTORS GET PAID LOT OF MY MONEY TO TELL PATIENTS IT ALL IN THERE HEAD blink.gif . THEY ACT LIKE THEY DON'T SMELL NOTHING WHILE RUBBING THEIR NOSES ON THE SNEAK TIP. I STOP DRINKING JUICE OR SODA NOW I DRINK ONLY VITAMIN WATER AND TAKE BOOST IMMUNE SYSTEM RITAID BRAND 250MG IT HAS VITAMIN C AND ASCORBIC ACID,CELLULOSE,LACTOSE,STEARIC ACID,CROSCARMELLOSE,SODUIM AND ASTEARIC ACID. IM GOING TO GET FEMDO PILLS AND CLEANSING DETOX DRINK WHICH LAST ABOUT 2 HR(I WILL LET YALL KNOW THE NAME OF THE DRINK TOMORROW). I WILL DRINK THE DETOX DRINK B4 USING ANY VITAMIN PILLS IMMA WAIT UNTIL THE DRINK WEAR OFF THEN START BACK WITH THE PILLS. HELPING MY BODY GET RID OF WASTE. IMMA TRY NOT TO STRESS MYSELF OUT GO BACK TO THE DOCTOR FOR MY MEDS THRUSDAY. FROM THERE IM GOING LET YALL KNOW THE OUTCOME.
BUT ONE QUESTION B4 I GO DO YALL EVER FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE INSIDE FEVER IT FEEL LIKE MENOPAUSE??????{IT DON'T HAVE TO HAPPEN ALL THE TIME BUT SOMETIMES} NOW IM 20 I KNOW I SHOULDN'T BE GOING THROUGH THAT NOW rolleyes.gif

I'm doing very well! All clear and everything is back to normal; Thanks hun! wink.gif
neverending
QUOTE(damselindistress @ Sep 30 2008, 04:08 PM) *

Yeap, About 50% to 75% of sexually active men and women contract genital HPV infection. The HPV virus is so small that it passes through condoms, so I guess that is why so many people have it. The thing that matters most is that you keep the immune system up. Most people don't think they they have hpv but if they did a test, they will quickly find that they harbor a strain or two or three or 10. I've even heard of a person having 16 different strains. Anyway, Indole 3 Carbinol is very good at supressing the virus. Google it for those of you with active infections.

mikamo0229
QUOTE(neverending @ Sep 30 2008, 12:25 PM) *
How old are you love? Have you heard of Atrophic vaginitis with secondary bacterial. infection? Look it up and make your own decision.

Im 24 years of age, i feel like im 50 .... i just have given up on the meds.... and i have heard of atrophic vaginits , thats from allergic reactions right ?
if the vaginal environment is dry,may cause friction with intercourse..... leads to bv.... my doc said it can me that because as a child i had exzcema really bad, i hope i spelled it right...
neverending
QUOTE(mikamo0229 @ Oct 1 2008, 12:25 AM) *
Im 24 years of age, i feel like im 50 .... i just have given up on the meds.... and i have heard of atrophic vaginits , thats from allergic reactions right ?
if the vaginal environment is dry,may cause friction with intercourse..... leads to bv.... my doc said it can me that because as a child i had exzcema really bad, i hope i spelled it right...

Atrophic vaginitis (also known as vaginal atrophy or urogenital atrophy) is an inflammation of the vagina (and the outer urinary tract) due to the thinning and shrinking of the tissues, as well as decreased lubrication. This is all due to a lack of the reproductive hormone estrogen.

The most common cause of vaginal atrophy is the decrease in estrogen which happens naturally during perimenopause, and increasingly so in post-menopause. However this condition can sometimes be caused by other circumstances.

The symptoms can include vaginal soreness and itching, as well as painful intercourse, and bleeding after sexual intercourse. The shrinkage of the tissues can be extreme enough to make intercourse impossible.

genital symptoms include dryness, itching, burning, soreness, pressure, white discharge, malodorous discharge due to infection, painful sexual intercourse, bleeding after intercourse. In addition, sores and cracks may occur spontaneously.

Urinary symptoms include painful urination, blood in the urine, increased frequency of urination, incontinence, and increased likelihood and occurrence of infections.

Prevention
Use of vaginal estrogen before the condition becomes severe is appropriate. Regular sexual activity may be helpful. A water soluble vaginal lubricant can be helpful in mild cases.

Case Description
A 28-year-old primipara woman presented to the birth center at 13 months postpartum. She reported discomfort with urination, vaginal itching and dryness, and severe pain during intercourse described as "someone ripping out her insides." She had intercourse only four times since giving birth and experienced significant pain each time. She tried lubricants to relieve her symptoms, as well as increased foreplay to improve arousal and vaginal secretions. These measures provided only minimal relief. She has been breastfeeding her daughter since birth and remains amenorrheic. Her pregnancy and birth were uncomplicated, and she has an unremarkable medical history. A discussion about her relationship revealed a strong love for her husband and concerns that her inability to be intimate with him was ruining their marriage.

On external genital examination, her vulva was pale pink, shiny, and inflamed with small areas of erythema and petechiae present. Her vaginal tone was strong; in fact, the muscles were so tight that she found it difficult to relax them and was uncomfortable with the speculum examination. Her cervix and vaginal walls had the same appearance as the outer genitalia, and there was very little vaginal discharge noted. A saline and potassium hydroxide (KOH) wet preparation was performed with the findings of white and red blood cells, very few lactobacilli, and no clue cells or hyphae. Thus, there was no evidence of infection.

Based on her history and examination, a diagnosis of atrophic vaginitis related to lactation was made. Because previous self-help measures had been unsuccessful, she was offered vaginal estrogen cream. She was conflicted between the desire to resolve her symptoms and concern about the effect of estrogen on milk production, but she elected to use the cream after thorough counseling and careful consideration of her options. After 2 weeks of using 17-estradiol cream two to three times a week, she was feeling better and the symptoms were subsiding. She called the birth center to report that the treatment was working, she was still nursing with no decrease in milk supply, and intercourse was much more enjoyable.

Let me know if this helps! This is what I had except mine was due to estrogen lowering birth control LO/OVRAL. Never hesitate to ask me anything. I'm always here to help.
horror_movie
NEVERENDING IT'S GOOD TO HEAR THAT YOUR DOING GREAT!!!! YOUR CO WORKERS CAN'T SAY NOTHING NOW (LOL) IM GOING TO THE DOCTOR AGAIN AND I'M GOING TO TELL THEM ABOUT ATROPHIC VAGINITIS TO BE HONEST I'M HAVING THE SAME SYMPTOMS YOU WERE HAVING. DO YOU KNOW WHAT MEDICATIONS DID THE DOCTOR GIVE YOU? THANKS FOR GIVING US ANOTHER PIECE TO THE PUZZLE SO WE CAN GIVE OUR DOCTORS SOME QUESTIONS smile.gif.
trbutts
QUOTE(neverending @ Sep 30 2008, 02:31 PM) *
I'm doing very well! All clear and everything is back to normal; Thanks hun! wink.gif

Hey ladies!

I'm just replying to anyone who is interested and I hope my advice helps. I saw this forum and I just had to put in a word or two because I am determined to help women solve this annoying problem.

I have gotten a bacterial infection twice before. Both times, I believe that the guy that I had sex with gave it to me. This is so hard to really figure out because the symptoms (odor, discharge, itching) do not always point to Bacterial Vaginosis. It could also be the parasite Trichomoniasis, which also has similar symptoms to BV. It's really important to distinguish whether you simply have bacteria that is "off" or if it is actually an STD (like Trich). I make a big deal to point this out because it is said that when you get tested for STDs, people usually are not checked for Trichomoniasis, so it's often overlooked. Ask to be tested for that, because that STD has the number one symptom of "fishy odor." If you know that its not that, then you figure that it's a vaginal infection.

The first time that I had an infection, I believe that it went away on its own. I was young and was embarrassed to discuss my vagina with my doctor. The second time that I got a vaginal infection was years later; however, whether I had it the whole time with invisible symptoms I really don't know. I had a boyfriend right after my symptoms dissappeared, and we had unprotected sex regularly. Not once did I see any symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis show up during our relationship, and we had sex as much as we could.

Just last year, I slept with a guy that I knew I should not have slept with, was drunk, and did not use protection. Within two days, I had a heavy discharge with an odor that was very similar to the one that I had during my first infection. I was under the impression that he often had sex without protection often with girls that he barely knew, so I rushed to the doctor this time. He put me on a long and powerful dose of Metronidazole (10 days, 250mg each day three times a day). My symptoms disappeared in about two days, but I finished my dose completely.

I think that although the Metronidazole is more dangerous, if you take a thorough dose of it and complete it, it will wipe the BV out. I just don't believe that those creams are as effective. However, after a dose of a strong prescription medicine, it's important to be careful about sex without condoms. There are the obvious reasons why, but besides that, I think the new bacteria (especially if it's with a several guys close together) throws the vaginal flora completely off. Also, if you do start having sex unprotected on the regular, and you see those symptoms, remember that guys can be treated to get rid of BV (although it has no effect on men, many that have sex with a girl that has it spreads it to the next girl). So if any of you are dating a guy that gives you BV and the doctor says that your pH levels don't agree, that's not true. Get him a prescription of Metronidazole also, and and I bet that will help. Most men won't mind.

After getting rid of the infection, and your partner too if necessary, I really do believe that vitamins help to maintain the vagina's health after getting it on track. There is a new multivitamin out now called FemmeSecret 9 that has acidophilus, garlic, grapefruit, B6 and all that good stuff. It can be found at http://www.quick2you.com/store/index.cfm?f...iew&scid=93. It's cheaper than Femanol (which I don't think works) and has more helpful vitamins in it, too.

It's also smart to use a pH balanced lubricant during sex since infections can sometimes come from dry sex that tears the inside of the vaginal wall (think of a cut that can't breath).

Since I got treated that last time, I've had no problems whatsoever. It's interesting, however, because I constantly get yeast infections, but they're not nearly as annoying as BV, so I won't complain. I also read in Cosmo that there is a new prescription drug out now that supposedly works faster than Flagyl and is safer. Look into that.

I've been dating a guy for a while now, and because of my experiences, we have not taken the condoms off yet. I am afraid that he will mess up the flora of my vagina. I also wanted to make a note that both times that I got BV, the guy had a very large penis that I was not accustomed to and I do believe that I got scratched on the inside a little and possibly got infected that way, also. I absolutely know that men are the top reason why women get vaginal infections.

If you guys want to share any suggestions with me or ask me any questions, please do. I know how embarrassing and frustrating this is and as you can see I have done a ton of research on it. I've typed alot, so I would really appreciate it if you guys let me know if it helped. Thanks, girls!

TipsyTee
neverending
QUOTE(horror_movie @ Oct 2 2008, 12:29 AM) *
NEVERENDING IT'S GOOD TO HEAR THAT YOUR DOING GREAT!!!! YOUR CO WORKERS CAN'T SAY NOTHING NOW (LOL) IM GOING TO THE DOCTOR AGAIN AND I'M GOING TO TELL THEM ABOUT ATROPHIC VAGINITIS TO BE HONEST I'M HAVING THE SAME SYMPTOMS YOU WERE HAVING. DO YOU KNOW WHAT MEDICATIONS DID THE DOCTOR GIVE YOU? THANKS FOR GIVING US ANOTHER PIECE TO THE PUZZLE SO WE CAN GIVE OUR DOCTORS SOME QUESTIONS smile.gif.

When you go to the doctor I suggest you take (print out) some literature and tell him/her these are the symptoms that you have. I swear, Docs will diagose you with everything but the right thing. That's why none of their methods work. I had a friend that got gonerrehea (sp?) and they gave her meds and it went away. I had a friend that had bv after every kid she had but it always went away with meds. I think meds work but only when the diagnosis is correct. Many people here are getting the wrong diagnosis that's why this does not go away. Once I diagnosed myself (after years of research) my problem finally went away with estroil/estrogen. So, getting the right diagnosis is what needs to be done. I don't know if it was you that said you had no clue cells but no clue cells = no BV, No white blood cells= no infection. I kept telling Docs that I had some type of hormonal imbalance but they kept saying NO your too young for that even though I told them i took estrogen lowering birth control for years. Anyway, thanks for the kind words. I'm very happy and I get to start my life all over again. I've laughed more the last couple of months then I have in years. I hope everything goes well for you. kEEP ME UPDATED ON YOUR PROGRESS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.