Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109
horror_movie
I took 2 pill of metro the 7 day treatment and even got my husband the 7 day treatment too. I aslo started having anxiety attack it could be trigger fast which feel like a inside fever or menopause. I been under a lot of stress BEFORE this started having to me now I try my hardest to maintain not getting stress out.My husband told me that people are starting to give him reaction like he stink. I don't smell nothing on him but others do. Some days he's fine then other days its strong odor and that the only symptoms he has. now with me I have discharge and a odor smell. sharp pain in the vagina like im having contraction. I don't know if its trichmonasis( hope I spell it right) or another bacteria infection. my doctor insist that it is bv only. help plzzzzz trbutt,neverending, ANYBODY!!!!
horror_movie
EXCUSE THE ERROR IN THE PARAGRAPH SOME WHERE. HELP SOMEONE BECAUSE I REALLY WANT TO START HAVING UNPROTECTED SEX WITH MY HUSBAND. (LOL) I DO MISS THAT. NOW WE ONLY HAVE PROTECTED SEX!!
lori
QUOTE(trbutts @ Oct 1 2008, 05:09 PM) *
I have gotten a bacterial infection twice before. Both times, I believe that the guy that I had sex with gave it to me. This is so hard to really figure out because the symptoms (odor, discharge, itching) do not always point to Bacterial Vaginosis. It could also be the parasite Trichomoniasis, which also has similar symptoms to BV. It's really important to distinguish whether you simply have bacteria that is "off" or if it is actually an STD (like Trich). I make a big deal to point this out because it is said that when you get tested for STDs, people usually are not checked for Trichomoniasis, so it's often overlooked. Ask to be tested for that, because that STD has the number one symptom of "fishy odor." If you know that its not that, then you figure that it's a vaginal infection.

This is very important info. I've put this very info. in my blog, and also said it many times in this thread. The standard annual exam at the GYN does not always include a Trich test. Wet preps and pap smears are only 60% accurate in diagnosing Trich. Ladies are definitely falling through the cracks with regard to Trich.

When I first introduced this idea, I was blasted for being wrong. But anecdotal evidence from another poster who works in an STD clinic has proved that this does happen! I think this info. is definitely worth knowing. People who have recurrent BV symptoms really need to have a Trich-specific test at some point.

I think that although the Metronidazole is more dangerous, if you take a thorough dose of it and complete it, it will wipe the BV out. I just don't believe that those creams are as effective.

Well, oral flagyl (metronidazole) is effective against Trich, but metrogel is not. As far as whether the pill is more effective against BV than the gel ... ? I don't know. I do recommend the pills in my blog. I think it's better.

However, after a dose of a strong prescription medicine, it's important to be careful about sex without condoms. There are the obvious reasons why, but besides that, I think the new bacteria (especially if it's with a several guys close together) throws the vaginal flora completely off. Also, if you do start having sex unprotected on the regular, and you see those symptoms, remember that guys can be treated to get rid of BV (although it has no effect on men, many that have sex with a girl that has it spreads it to the next girl). So if any of you are dating a guy that gives you BV and the doctor says that your pH levels don't agree, that's not true. Get him a prescription of Metronidazole also, and and I bet that will help. Most men won't mind.

I think we figured this one out, too - that guys need treatment. I've been recommending this in my blog for a long time - if you're in a monogamous relationship, and you keep experiencing recurrences after sex - make him take a week of flagyl with you. People have been saying it's the pH of semen that triggers BV, or getting your period, but I've been saying that that's not true. Both are normal events that happens to your vagina, and you can't avoid them forever. A healthy vagina should be able to bounce back from normal events. If experiencing either of those things brings on symptoms, that means things were wonky in the first place.

After getting rid of the infection, and your partner too if necessary, I really do believe that vitamins help to maintain the vagina's health after getting it on track. There is a new multivitamin out now called FemmeSecret 9 that has acidophilus, garlic, grapefruit, B6 and all that good stuff. It can be found at http://www.quick2you.com/store/index.cfm?f...iew&scid=93. It's cheaper than Femanol (which I don't think works) and has more helpful vitamins in it, too.

The "miracle cure" we've found is probiotics, specifically, one called Fem-dophilus. From my blog:

Fem-Dophilus (Jarrow)
  • Cons: expensive
  • Conclusion: So far, the this is the most promising and effective product. All the members who have had the best, long-term results have used Fem-Dophilus as a part of their regimen. Highly recommended, based on the research and anecdotal evidence. Buy it refrigerated for maximum potency. (Unfortunately, posters have reported that the bottle arrives warm, even if they select expedited shipping from online merchants who offer cold-packs. So it looks like buying it directly from Whole Foods is the best option.)

It's supposed to help restore the good bacteria in your vagina, and it's helped a lot of ladies in here. (It's kept me BV-free since Feb 2007, after 7 years of BV hell.) It also helps prevent yeast infections and UTI's.

Since I got treated that last time, I've had no problems whatsoever. It's interesting, however, because I constantly get yeast infections, but they're not nearly as annoying as BV, so I won't complain. I also read in Cosmo that there is a new prescription drug out now that supposedly works faster than Flagyl and is safer. Look into that.

Since you get YI's, it means that your flora is still off-balance. I would highly recommend that you look into Fem-D.

As far as prescriptions go - there's only two other drugs that we know of that treats BV. Clindamycin and Tindamax. We learned that Clindamycin can cause overgrowth of strep bacteria, and Tindamax appears to have a low cure-rate for BV. (However, Tindamax appears to be a good treatment for Trich.) So, these are things to be aware of.

If you guys want to share any suggestions with me or ask me any questions, please do. I know how embarrassing and frustrating this is and as you can see I have done a ton of research on it. I've typed alot, so I would really appreciate it if you guys let me know if it helped. Thanks, girls!

TipsyTee

Thanks for sharing, Tipsy. I think it's meaningful that you have done your own research, and we ended up with a lot of the same conclusions.
horror_movie
lori how are you doing now? Are you fine now!!! wink.gif we appreciate you and others coming back to help educate us on bv and the diffrent type of bv. i know you dealt with this for a couple of yrs and i know your happy to that you overcome this bv.
Hunnibee79
Hey! I'm new here but I've been floating around for a few months. I'm so thankful I found this site, it's helped me realize that this is very common condition and that I have no reason to feel alone.

So I guess about 2 years ago I was first diagnosed with BV and the gyn said a lot of times it goes away on its own and I had nothing to worry about (I had just started dating my current boyfriend who has had numerous partners and a lot of unprotected sex). It did in fact go away on its own. But in the past 6 months I've been infected at least once a month if not more.

It seemed to get worse after I took a break from my boyfriend and he had unprotected sex with another woman, during that time I also doubled my smoking. He's been very supportive but I can't help but be embarassed when we have sex, despite the fact that he doesn't mind, unless he'd like to go down on me and I wont let him which is frustrating for him as well. I thought perhaps he was in some way carrying the bacteria bc I ONLY get the infection after I have sex with him. Well, he was treated and we had sex yesterday, and much to my dismay its back! I don't know what to do. I changed gyns and found a great one who immeadiately put me on a 6 month regimen of metrogel 2 a week. I'm at a complete loss. I only get to see my boyfriend about once or twice a month so I'm always clear when I see him, but its gotten to the point where I feel like I'm starting to have an aversion to sex bc I'm so worried about becoming reinfected.

I'm going to try to quit smoking and pick up some probiotics from whole foods. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for such a long post. I can't wait to get to know you ladies better, you all seem fantastic!!!
Hunnibee79
Oh! And I do have a question. Since I am using the metrogel twice a week, I read on here that you shouldn't take the FemD while you're using an antobiotic. Should I wait 6 months to start taking the FemD? Or should I just take it every morning twice a day regardless of the 6month metrogel treatment?
mikamo0229
QUOTE(Hunnibee79 @ Oct 6 2008, 10:15 AM) *
Oh! And I do have a question. Since I am using the metrogel twice a week, I read on here that you shouldn't take the FemD while you're using an antobiotic. Should I wait 6 months to start taking the FemD? Or should I just take it every morning twice a day regardless of the 6month metrogel treatment?

well, i was put on the same supression method, which didnt work for me at all, plus i had several yeast infections untill i took the fem d. i used the gel once a week to put mine at bay , along with the probiotics. The gel is messy, i rather take the pill because i didnt get yeast infection. But good luck, and Im no gyno but my nurse practioner swears by fem d... to restore the flora . On the box it reccomends to take twice the dosage during antibiotic use as needed. i hope this helps and good luck again ....
neverending
QUOTE(Hunnibee79 @ Oct 6 2008, 05:01 PM) *
Hey! I'm new here but I've been floating around for a few months. I'm so thankful I found this site, it's helped me realize that this is very common condition and that I have no reason to feel alone.

So I guess about 2 years ago I was first diagnosed with BV and the gyn said a lot of times it goes away on its own and I had nothing to worry about (I had just started dating my current boyfriend who has had numerous partners and a lot of unprotected sex). It did in fact go away on its own. But in the past 6 months I've been infected at least once a month if not more.

It seemed to get worse after I took a break from my boyfriend and he had unprotected sex with another woman, during that time I also doubled my smoking. He's been very supportive but I can't help but be embarassed when we have sex, despite the fact that he doesn't mind, unless he'd like to go down on me and I wont let him which is frustrating for him as well. I thought perhaps he was in some way carrying the bacteria bc I ONLY get the infection after I have sex with him. Well, he was treated and we had sex yesterday, and much to my dismay its back! I don't know what to do. I changed gyns and found a great one who immeadiately put me on a 6 month regimen of metrogel 2 a week. I'm at a complete loss. I only get to see my boyfriend about once or twice a month so I'm always clear when I see him, but its gotten to the point where I feel like I'm starting to have an aversion to sex bc I'm so worried about becoming reinfected.

I'm going to try to quit smoking and pick up some probiotics from whole foods. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for such a long post. I can't wait to get to know you ladies better, you all seem fantastic!!!

Yeap, this is a common nuisance for women.
A couple of things:
1. If he has a big penis, it could be scratching the vaginal walls causing inflammation/ discharge.
2. Try to quite smoking if you can or limit the amount
3. Uhhh, make sure sex is protected. You seem to be committed but he's not so be careful.
4.probiotics=good
5.Welcome to the board!
bvg
I was just wondering what everyone uses to wash themselves with. I know that bv is alkaline and most soaps are alkaline. Even dove is not super neutral. Would a more acidic soap help? The only one I know of that claims to be acidic is burts bees tomato complexion soap. Your thoughts?
lori
QUOTE(bvg @ Oct 7 2008, 11:51 AM) *
I was just wondering what everyone uses to wash themselves with. I know that bv is alkaline and most soaps are alkaline. Even dove is not super neutral. Would a more acidic soap help? The only one I know of that claims to be acidic is burts bees tomato complexion soap. Your thoughts?

My blog has a few links. Excerpt:

If you want to use soap, the classic white Dove bar is pH balanced. (It has a pH of 7, which is the pH of pure water.) There are also feminine cleansers that are formulated to be pH balanced.
  1. Avon Simply Delicate Feminine Wash
  2. Sebamed Feminine Intimate Wash
  3. Sliquid Splash
  4. Summer's Eve Feminine Wash
  5. SweetSpot Labs Gentle Wash
  6. Very Private pH Balanced Body Wash
earthwoman
Hello all...I've been lurking for awhile looking for tried and true solutions to no avail sad.gif I've been suffering with BV on and off for years...only recently realizing it was BV I was dealing with. It is now worse than it's ever been. I'm going to the doc. in a couple of days. I want to be tested for every strain of infection they can think of. And I have a feeling both my man and I will need to go through a course of flagyl...then Fem-D and tea tree oil, both of which I already use. Some of you women give me hope this can be helped...It's just so depressing...all I want is a normal vagina!!!

neverending
QUOTE(earthwoman @ Oct 8 2008, 12:54 AM) *
Hello all...I've been lurking for awhile looking for tried and true solutions to no avail sad.gif I've been suffering with BV on and off for years...only recently realizing it was BV I was dealing with. It is now worse than it's ever been. I'm going to the doc. in a couple of days. I want to be tested for every strain of infection they can think of. And I have a feeling both my man and I will need to go through a course of flagyl...then Fem-D and tea tree oil, both of which I already use. Some of you women give me hope this can be helped...It's just so depressing...all I want is a normal vagina!!!

Welcome to the board! First, I have a couple of questions. Is there a certain time of the month you get BV? Do you get BV after sex with your significant other? Have you taken Flagyl before and had BV go away? Have you been tested for all STD'S? and Are you an your boyfriend in an monogamous relationship?Oh, and when did this problem start for you? I know these are a lot of questions but it's important to write these things down so you can go back and pinpoint the problem and that will also help you explain to the doctors what exactly goes on an when it happens.
earthwoman
QUOTE(neverending @ Oct 7 2008, 10:53 PM) *
Welcome to the board! First, I have a couple of questions. Is there a certain time of the month you get BV? Do you get BV after sex with your significant other? Have you taken Flagyl before and had BV go away? Have you been tested for all STD'S? and Are you an your boyfriend in an monogamous relationship?Oh, and when did this problem start for you? I know these are a lot of questions but it's important to write these things down so you can go back and pinpoint the problem and that will also help you explain to the doctors what exactly goes on an when it happens.

I have been tested for std's (though I don't think trich was in there??I need to take care of that) I am in a monogamous relationship (2 years). I've had this problem though about 4 years but never as bad as it's been this past year. Initially I treated it as yeast (using TTO) and it seemed to resolve...for awhile...I've never taken any prescribed meds (I try to stay as natural as possible). My last doc. appointment was a couple of weeks ago and he seemed to think I had BV from the symptoms I described (but he didn't actually check anything out). He gave me clindesse and to my dismay I had tons of soft clay like discharge..yuck...so he said he'll treat me and my bf with flagyl. I don't want to take it but I am desperate at this point. Oh and it gets worse around my period and after sex (I almost forget what that is at this point LOL). The smell is awful. I started folic acid and Fem-D already so I guess it's just wait and see. Has anyone had any success with homeopaths or acupuncture? I want to treat the root of the problem, not just get rid of the symptoms...Thanks for the welcome
Hunnibee79
For those ladies who have had luck with FemD, about how long did it take for you to see results?

And neverending...thanks for the welcome!
horror_movie
EVERYBODY DO NOT USE ANY PRODUCTS THAT HAVE CORN STARCH IN IT. NOT ONLY IT CAUSES RASHES IT ALSO CAN CAUSE YEAST INFECTION AND MAKE YOUR BV ODOR WORST(IT CAUSES THE DISCHARGE TO COME DOWN HEAVY). CORN STARCH CAN BE FOUND MOSTLY IN POWDER!! SUMMER EVE POWDER ALSO HAVE CORN STARCH. IT BEST TO USE BABY JOHNSON THE ORIGINALLY ONE NO SCENTED ONES!!
neverending
QUOTE(earthwoman @ Oct 8 2008, 04:58 AM) *
I have been tested for std's (though I don't think trich was in there??I need to take care of that) I am in a monogamous relationship (2 years). I've had this problem though about 4 years but never as bad as it's been this past year. Initially I treated it as yeast (using TTO) and it seemed to resolve...for awhile...I've never taken any prescribed meds (I try to stay as natural as possible). My last doc. appointment was a couple of weeks ago and he seemed to think I had BV from the symptoms I described (but he didn't actually check anything out). He gave me clindesse and to my dismay I had tons of soft clay like discharge..yuck...so he said he'll treat me and my bf with flagyl. I don't want to take it but I am desperate at this point. Oh and it gets worse around my period and after sex (I almost forget what that is at this point LOL). The smell is awful. I started folic acid and Fem-D already so I guess it's just wait and see. Has anyone had any success with homeopaths or acupuncture? I want to treat the root of the problem, not just get rid of the symptoms...Thanks for the welcome

Acupuncture is great but it does not work right away. It takes a few sessions to get the benefits. It seems like you just have a general bacteria infection. It also seems like you yo-yo back and forth between yeast and BV.
1.Continue to take the Fem-D / vitamins
2. Get tested for Trich
3.Take a look at Lori's blog.
4. If all else fails. Take the Flagyl ( you and your boyfriend) with the fem-d. I hear some ladies have had relief doing that.
missjanuary
QUOTE(deeseeker @ Sep 27 2008, 06:22 PM) *
Thank you Lori,

I have been tested for STD's doing every Doctor's visit for over a year and nothing show up. I do take Fem-dophilus daily, but have stop because of the amoxicillin. I think I need to wait until I am finish the anti-botoics. I have not been sexually active all years, so I really believe that is my issue, the Group B. If the amoxicillin don't stop the discharge and odor then I guess I will try Penicillin, I have not been abusiving anti-botocis, so I hope bewtiween the Two it works for me.
I have doing a lot of research but can't really find what I am looking for a "CURE"!!!!!

so DEE, did the femdophilus help u?
Lolasaurus
I think I also read somewhere that if you're taking antibiotics and FemD, you should try to take them a few hours apart. worth considering.

QUOTE(mikamo0229 @ Oct 6 2008, 01:19 PM) *
well, i was put on the same supression method, which didnt work for me at all, plus i had several yeast infections untill i took the fem d. i used the gel once a week to put mine at bay , along with the probiotics. The gel is messy, i rather take the pill because i didnt get yeast infection. But good luck, and Im no gyno but my nurse practioner swears by fem d... to restore the flora . On the box it reccomends to take twice the dosage during antibiotic use as needed. i hope this helps and good luck again ....

My (TMI but totally exciting) new development: Last night was night 4 of FemD vaginally (I emptied 2 capsules into 1 larger, gelatin one), and today, for the first time in months, my discharge could be described as slippery, rather than sticky or watery! biggrin.gif

... Too bad I've forgotten what normal vag smells like unsure.gif gonna get another checkup before I celebrate too hard.
damselindistress
QUOTE(Lolasaurus @ Oct 9 2008, 05:04 PM) *
I think I also read somewhere that if you're taking antibiotics and FemD, you should try to take them a few hours apart. worth considering.
My (TMI but totally exciting) new development: Last night was night 4 of FemD vaginally (I emptied 2 capsules into 1 larger, gelatin one), and today, for the first time in months, my discharge could be described as slippery, rather than sticky or watery! biggrin.gif

... Too bad I've forgotten what normal vag smells like unsure.gif gonna get another checkup before I celebrate too hard.

Will the capsule that the FemD comes in dissolve in the vag? Who's tried it?
trbutts
Hey girls,

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/vagInfections.html

I thought some of you might find some valuable info here. Thanks!
mfc10
QUOTE(damselindistress @ Oct 10 2008, 08:56 AM) *

Yes, it does, The inventor/patent-holder has told several of us who contacted him, that it can indeed be used vaginally. It just can't say it on the box or package insert. Some of the original research studies were done with women inserting it vaginally. I take two a day orally and use one vaginally at night while on antibiotics for an imbedded bladder infection. I've been on Augmentin & amoxicillin daily for over 9 weeks now, and no sign of BV or vaginal yeast!

The potato starch in the FemDophilus can be smelled after it melts, but other than that...

Hugs,
Maggie C.
Lolasaurus
I just did what I did because I'd rather shove one pill up my vag than two.

QUOTE(damselindistress @ Oct 10 2008, 08:56 AM) *
missjanuary
QUOTE(Lolasaurus @ Oct 12 2008, 01:17 AM) *

I didn't know you can do that with femdophilus. I thought that you just take it orally.
LovelyLadyLuck
Hi Ladies....

mfc10, you say you have been on the penicillin for 9 weeks, for an "embedded" bladder infection, but were you suffering with BV at the time? or did you just incorporate the femd as a preventative?

lori
QUOTE(mfc10 @ Oct 11 2008, 06:59 PM) *
Yes, it does, The inventor/patent-holder has told several of us who contacted him, that it can indeed be used vaginally.

Really? Did Dr. Reid say that?
sooo sad
mfc10

how have you been? glad to see you here!!!!!!!! wink.gif
konphusion26
QUOTE(Lolasaurus @ Oct 12 2008, 01:17 AM) *

Probably a good thing you did it that way. I tried that with the Fem D and the dang capsules just sat there. They didn't dissolve at all.
mfc10
QUOTE(LovelyLadyLuck @ Oct 13 2008, 01:15 AM) *
Hi Ladies....

mfc10, you say you have been on the penicillin for 9 weeks, for an "embedded" bladder infection, but were you suffering with BV at the time? or did you just incorporate the femd as a preventative?

No--I haven't had BV in 2 + years. I took the FemDoph as a preventive once I knew I was going to be on antibiotics a long while. So far, no BV or yeast infections! When I emailed Dr. Reid, he was pleased to hear how it has helped even when on broad-spectrum antibiotics.

Hugs,
Maggie
mfc10
QUOTE(lori @ Oct 13 2008, 06:43 AM) *
Really? Did Dr. Reid say that?

He definitely did. Anyone can Email him & ask.
lori
QUOTE(mfc10 @ Oct 13 2008, 07:17 PM) *
He definitely did. Anyone can Email him & ask.

If it was via e-mail, would you mind sharing some of that insight with us? Because that is an amazing and helpful bit of information.
lori
damselindistress
QUOTE(mfc10 @ Oct 13 2008, 10:16 PM) *
No--I haven't had BV in 2 + years. I took the FemDoph as a preventive once I knew I was going to be on antibiotics a long while. So far, no BV or yeast infections! When I emailed Dr. Reid, he was pleased to hear how it has helped even when on broad-spectrum antibiotics.

Hugs,
Maggie

So, Maggie, for you the capsule straight out of the bottle dissolves, but for others it does not? I just don't want to wast any of these darn things since they're pretty expensive. I'm getting more today, gonna try them again...but vaginally this time...orally didn't do squat, even after a few months of devotion.
mfc10
QUOTE(lori @ Oct 13 2008, 11:07 PM) *
If it was via e-mail, would you mind sharing some of that insight with us? Because that is an amazing and helpful bit of information.

I private-messaged/emailed you with a copy of the email minus my university email address.

There is a message board wherein women with interstitial cystitis are using FemDophilus vaginally with success: http://ichopeboard.proboards7.com/index.cgi?board=general

It would be easier (& less-web-ettiquette unacceptable than forwarding my private emails) for people to email or write to him directly with their questions.

Dr. Gregor Reid
Canadian R&D Centre for Probiotics
F2-116,
Lawson Health Research Institute,
268 Grosvenor Street
London, Ontario N6A 4V2
Canada

Fax: 519-646-6031
gregor@uwo.ca

All the best,
Maggie
mfc10
QUOTE(damselindistress @ Oct 14 2008, 09:58 AM) *
So, Maggie, for you the capsule straight out of the bottle dissolves, but for others it does not? I just don't want to wast any of these darn things since they're pretty expensive. I'm getting more today, gonna try them again...but vaginally this time...orally didn't do squat, even after a few months of devotion.

It does, but it takes hours. I put it in around 7 p.m. and I can still "feel " it in there when I go to bed. I usually put a smear of estrogen cream in first, and maybe that helps.

Hugs,
Maggie
damselindistress
QUOTE(mfc10 @ Oct 14 2008, 01:56 PM) *
It does, but it takes hours. I put it in around 7 p.m. and I can still "feel " it in there when I go to bed. I usually put a smear of estrogen cream in first, and maybe that helps.

Hugs,
Maggie

Hmm, my girl must be very acidic right now, because it dissolved just like that. You guys were taking too long to answer me, my shipment came in, I tried it. I put it in at 11, checked at 2 and it was already dissolved. cool

Thanks for answering my question and I hope you have whipped this thing once and for all!
lori
QUOTE(mfc10 @ Oct 14 2008, 10:54 AM) *
I private-messaged/emailed you with a copy of the email minus my university email address.

There is a message board wherein women with interstitial cystitis are using FemDophilus vaginally with success: http://ichopeboard.proboards7.com/index.cgi?board=general

It would be easier (& less-web-ettiquette unacceptable than forwarding my private emails) for people to email or write to him directly with their questions.

Dr. Gregor Reid
Canadian R&D Centre for Probiotics
F2-116,
Lawson Health Research Institute,
268 Grosvenor Street
London, Ontario N6A 4V2
Canada

Fax: 519-646-6031
gregor@uwo.ca

All the best,
Maggie

Thanks for getting back to me, Maggie. I wasn't suggesting that you cut-n-paste his e-mail message, because that wouldn't be polite. (Web-etiquette or not, sharing private correspondence without consent is probably not the nicest thing to do.) I just thought he had said something more specific, and you'd be able to refer to it easily because it's in your e-mail. (vs. phone conversation.)

FYI to others - Another poster who used Fem-D vaginally used it with Rephresh. And because that is an acidic gel, it may have helped the capsule break down.
Lolasaurus
I'm having that weird white "tissue" stuff that so many of us got from Rephresh/Replens, now... and I think it smells wrong, but can never be sure, lately. I was only clear and groovy for one fucking weekend. sad.gif

Back onto the FemD, vaginally, I suppose, but didn't we decide that that probiotics were gonna be a CURE, not just another treatment?

Furthermore, why isn't there a SOBBING emoticon?
LovelyLadyLuck
thanks for responding mfc10, i was just curious because i wanted to know if anyone had actually been cured of BV by the femd alone. i used it for a week by mouth and noticed a change in my discharge, and a better smell it seemed, but i wasnt consistent in taking it. 2 weeks later i started it again, only i have been inserting one vainally and one orally at night for the past few days. the capsule dissolves fine for me. i can still smell faint bv, but the smell from the capsule is stronger, so i dunno yet if its helping or just masking. either way i have an appointment at planned parenthood to get some flagyl, which i respond positively to. like many of you it also gives me yeast infections, so im hoping that the femd will help to keep that under control. thank heavens for this forum, i never would have known about femd, and i am fairly confident that it will keep my vag in check if i kill the BV off first with the flagyl. sooo sad you employed this method recently, correct? how are things going for you?
dani1983
QUOTE(LovelyLadyLuck @ Oct 14 2008, 10:37 PM) *
thanks for responding mfc10, i was just curious because i wanted to know if anyone had actually been cured of BV by the femd alone. i used it for a week by mouth and noticed a change in my discharge, and a better smell it seemed, but i wasnt consistent in taking it. 2 weeks later i started it again, only i have been inserting one vainally and one orally at night for the past few days. the capsule dissolves fine for me.

do you have to use a pantyliner or something? would the "powder" come out of the vag?

Anyways,my update: I'm having a "weird" result with fem-D. The first time I took flagyl, like in June, it stopped my BV for a while but then it came back, but ONLY the yellowish discharge, with no smell. Then 2 months ago or so I did the flagyl thing again, along with fem-d. Discharge wasn't as much as before, but still there. Up until today I still have a little discharge here and there, but no smell whatsoever. Now the weird part is that I only get the discharge when I take the femD. Yes I'm still taking it but since I'm at my bf's most of the time, there are days I don't get to take it.
So in short, the femD is making me have a discharge sad.gif
LovelyLadyLuck
QUOTE(dani1983 @ Oct 14 2008, 11:24 PM) *
do you have to use a pantyliner or something? would the "powder" come out of the vag?

no nothing comes out. its funny cuz it almost seems like those organisms want to be up there. and i make sure to push it up far.

my TMI update: i think this stuff really likes my body. i just stuck my (clean) finger up there pretty far and pulled out the outer part of the capsule. there was a bit of the "powder" on it, but not much. i put it in at 3 am last night so its been almost 24 hours... so yes it definitely does hang around to do its job. anyways when i checked i discovered i have a "slippery" discharge with no smell, just like the last time i took it. its only been a few days but the same thing that happened the first time is happening this time so i am very encouraged.

iHATEmetrogel
Good morning to everyone! I am new here wink.gif

Here is my story....
I went for my annual in July...doc called me a few days later and said I had a BV...however I didn't feel like I did...it was just a check-up in the first place. Needless to say...I never picked up the script b/c I felt fine. Last week I started having symptoms...to me it was a typical BV. I used to get them often (2 x yr) when I was younger/not married/& using condoms. I called the doc and they called me in Metrogel. This stuff is so freaking disgusting...it gets clumpy, slimy, thick, nastiness....

I am wondering if this is how it is for everyone, or did I have a bad reaction to it? I feel like the problem is WORSE now!!! I don't have an odor...but an irritation and a periodic itch from hell wink.gif A long time ago I was given a 1 dose suppository called WTF...I can't remember...anyway it worked great and I have not been able to get it since (I was pregnant @ the time...maybe it was the only safe thing?!?!?)

So I am going to the doctor today and I want to be armed with info so I get the right meds! Here is a (not so) funny story about my doctor before i go....

one time i had an "issue"..it was one spot that was really bothering me...no d/c or anything...just this one spot down there...went to the doc...keep in mind i am married and monogomus....he worked me up for everything...and told me it looks like HERPES...he was not sure b/c he had to send the test out but he really thought that's what it was....wtf...herpes??? i was going to KILL my husband...then i said...is there ANY chance i could have cut myself, or just have a sensitive irritaiton right there? he agreed yes it was possible...THEN WHY DIDN'T HE FREAKING SAY THAT FIRST...good thoughts before bad news...DUHHHHHHHHHH. turns out i never had herpes wink.gif i was able to pass the entire bag of meds i left there with along to a friend who suffers from bad cold sores!!!

have a great day ladies wink.gif

sassy
IHATEMetroGel: It sounds like the one dose medication you are talking about is Clindeese. I don't think it is available at all anymore because it can actually cause you to get vaginal strep B (correct me if I'm wrong ladies, I don't remember the specifics on this.) As for your doctor, he doesn't sound that great to me...
Hunnibee79
I found another forum that discusses chronic BV. And one woman said she had luck with folic acid. Here's a link to the forum.

http://www.womens-health.com/boards/gyneco...ginosis-21.html
neverending
QUOTE(iHATEmetrogel @ Oct 16 2008, 04:23 PM) *

Here is my story....
I went for my annual in July...doc called me a few days later and said I had a BV...however I didn't feel like I did...it was just a check-up in the first place. Needless to say...I never picked up the script b/c I felt fine. Last week I started having symptoms...to me it was a typical BV. I used to get them often (2 x yr) when I was younger/not married/& using condoms. I called the doc and they called me in Metrogel. This stuff is so freaking disgusting...it gets clumpy, slimy, thick, nastiness....

I am wondering if this is how it is for everyone, or did I have a bad reaction to it? I feel like the problem is WORSE now!!! I don't have an odor...but an irritation and a periodic itch from hell wink.gif A long time ago I was given a 1 dose suppository called WTF...I can't remember...anyway it worked great and I have not been able to get it since (I was pregnant @

So I am going to the doctor today and I want to be armed with info so I get the right meds! Here is a (not so) funny story about my doctor before i go....

one time i had an "issue"..it was one spot that was really bothering me...no d/c or anything...just this one spot down there...went to the doc...keep in mind i am married and monogomus....he worked me up for everything...and told me it looks like HERPES...he was not sure b/c he had to send the test out but he really thought that's what it was....wtf...herpes??? i was going to KILL my husband...then i said...is there ANY chance i could have cut myself, or just have a sensitive irritaiton right there? he agreed yes it was possible...THEN WHY DIDN'T HE FREAKING SAY THAT FIRST...good thoughts before bad news...DUHHHHHHHHHH. turns out i never had herpes wink.gif i was able to pass the entire bag of meds i left there with along to a friend who suffers from bad cold sores!!!

Oops, sorry guys!
neverending
QUOTE(iHATEmetrogel @ Oct 16 2008, 04:23 PM) *

Here is my story....

I am wondering if this is how it is for everyone, or did I have a bad reaction to it? I feel like the problem is WORSE now!!! I don't have an odor...but an irritation and a periodic itch from hell wink.gif A long time ago I was given a 1 dose suppository called WTF...I can't remember...anyway it worked great and I have not been able to get it since (I was pregnant @ the time...maybe it was the only safe thing?!?!?)

Hun,

You had better take info with you cause docs love to give false diagnosis. They would diagnose me with something, then call me back and say "no, it's not this but this". Then they call you back again and say "well, since it didn't go away, I'm sure you have this". Then you get frustrated and go to someone else and THEY do the same thing. I kept telling them it was my hormones but NOooooo they can't take the patients word for it. So yeah, being armed with info is a great idea. wink.gif

The Herpes thing is funny. I had one doc tell me that I had cancer before doing tests. I worried a couple of days then I got the call I didn't. So, I know how you feel. I understand doctor's are human but they should really do tests first before giving out the bad news. Another thing, everytime I went to a new doc and told them my problems, the first thing they wanted to test for was HIV. I've had over 10 hiv tests and every time I would tell them I've been tested for that already. That and all std tests but you know what tihngs are 100% better now. I've lost a considerable amount of weight ( I was 197lbs to be exact but lost like 30lbs), my acne is 85% better, I don't grow hair out of my chiny chin chin, I can wear thongs instead of granny panties, I date a guy and am still able to keep my husband and guess what they both know each other and have recently met. HAHAHAHAHAHA......I'm back to normal and life s much better.
roquelaure
hi all!!

first of all, i can't believe i've never been to the forums here. i read the mag, visit the site, browse/shop via the links page, but it wasn't until i googled "BV and SEX" in my current minor state of panic that i even thought about hanging out in the forums. i'm a freaking genius, i know rolleyes.gif and now, as my virgin post, i'm going to give everyone waayy TMI, haha.

right. so. late august i thought i had a yeast infection from a course of antibiotics i had just finished for an infected burn, because i ALWAYS get yeast infections when i have to take antibiotics for ear and sinus infections. my usual drugstore cure wasn't working though, so i finally couldn't take it and went to my ob/gyn.

turns out i had BV (of the gardnerella variety). i was surprised, i'm 33 and never had it or any symptoms- he thought it was probably because the antibiotics DID give me yeast, but my normal cure didn't work because it was an extremely strong abtibiotic, and i only managed to screw up my ph enough to cause mass bacterial pandemonium (in my words, not his of course). he gave me metrogel, and after the requisite being completely grossed out by the Random Metrogel Patented White Gooey String Effect that lasted a couple days after i finished the course, all seemed to be well.

last week though i started feeling itchy and burny (the unsuccessful spinoff of "Itchy & Scratchy"). once again i thought it was yeast, and started my yogurt and acidophilous routine, which usually kills it if i catch it in the first couple of days. i was feeling fine, until tonight- and here's where we reach TMI status... so tonight i was enjoying a solo Friday night at home with a few toys *wink wink nudge nudge know what i mean*. when i was done i noticed a little burning, and spots of blood on the sheets. needless to say i completely freaked the hell out- that's never happened before. i have NEVER bled during or after sex- not when i lost my virginity or after any particularly intense sessions- NEVER. and this was bright, fresh blood- not like anything brown or thick that may have been left over from my period for some reason. and now it feels like my vagina and vulva are on freaking fire.

after cleaning up, i came online and started looking for culprits. i've never bled from yeast before no matter how much i scratched or made things worse, so i looked up any combo of BV or vaginosis/isis gardnerella and vaginal bleeding/bloody discharge. the only things i find that mention bacteria and bleeding immediately after sex are reference to cervicitis.

GAH!!!

before i start freaking out that now it's moved up THERE, has ANYONE ever had bleeding like that from BV alone?! has anyone gotten cervcitis from BV?? i've tried to search the thread but keep getting an error message, sorry if it's been covered before. i am 100% most definitely going to call my OB/GYN first thing monday morning- there is positively no doubt about that. but monday seems like a looooooong way away right now... sad.gif

okay. i think i'm done now. thanks in advance, everybody, i'm looking forward to becoming a part of the baords!
neverending
QUOTE(roquelaure @ Oct 18 2008, 07:00 AM) *
hi all!!

first of all, i can't believe i've never been to the forums here. i read the mag, visit the site, browse/shop via the links page, but it wasn't until i googled "BV and SEX" in my current minor state of panic that i even thought about hanging out in the forums. i'm a freaking genius, i know rolleyes.gif and now, as my virgin post, i'm going to give everyone waayy TMI, haha.

right. so. late august i thought i had a yeast infection from a course of antibiotics i had just finished for an infected burn, because i ALWAYS get yeast infections when i have to take antibiotics for ear and sinus infections. my usual drugstore cure wasn't working though, so i finally couldn't take it and went to my ob/gyn.

turns out i had BV (of the gardnerella variety). i was surprised, i'm 33 and never had it or any symptoms- he thought it was probably because the antibiotics DID give me yeast, but my normal cure didn't work because it was an extremely strong abtibiotic, and i only managed to screw up my ph enough to cause mass bacterial pandemonium (in my words, not his of course). he gave me metrogel, and after the requisite being completely grossed out by the Random Metrogel Patented White Gooey String Effect that lasted a couple days after i finished the course, all seemed to be well.

last week though i started feeling itchy and burny (the unsuccessful spinoff of "Itchy & Scratchy"). once again i thought it was yeast, and started my yogurt and acidophilous routine, which usually kills it if i catch it in the first couple of days. i was feeling fine, until tonight- and here's where we reach TMI status... so tonight i was enjoying a solo Friday night at home with a few toys *wink wink nudge nudge know what i mean*. when i was done i noticed a little burning, and spots of blood on the sheets. needless to say i completely freaked the hell out- that's never happened before. i have NEVER bled during or after sex- not when i lost my virginity or after any particularly intense sessions- NEVER. and this was bright, fresh blood- not like anything brown or thick that may have been left over from my period for some reason. and now it feels like my vagina and vulva are on freaking fire.

after cleaning up, i came online and started looking for culprits. i've never bled from yeast before no matter how much i scratched or made things worse, so i looked up any combo of BV or vaginosis/isis gardnerella and vaginal bleeding/bloody discharge. the only things i find that mention bacteria and bleeding immediately after sex are reference to cervicitis.

GAH!!!

before i start freaking out that now it's moved up THERE, has ANYONE ever had bleeding like that from BV alone?! has anyone gotten cervcitis from BV?? i've tried to search the thread but keep getting an error message, sorry if it's been covered before. i am 100% most definitely going to call my OB/GYN first thing monday morning- there is positively no doubt about that. but monday seems like a looooooong way away right now... sad.gif

okay. i think i'm done now. thanks in advance, everybody, i'm looking forward to becoming a part of the baords!

You may have inflammation. (the unsuccessful spinoff of "Itchy & Scratchy") <---- I just lol. You are funny. Welcome to the board!
Sweaty in Social Studies
I've been doing research on Bacterial Vaginosis. What I found was very interesting. I found out that Pau d'arco tea is proven to help treat Bacterial Vaginosis or even cure it depending on the severity of the infection. It is even recognized by the American Cancer Association for it's benefits.

For anyone that is trying to find something that works, Pau d'arco may be what your looking for.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/...X_Pau_DArco.asp

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/pau-darco-000268.htm

Sweaty in Social Studies
Here is an additional reliable source that I have found regarding Pau d'arco and it's benefits.

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69325.cfm
missjanuary
QUOTE(jewelscando @ Apr 24 2006, 11:40 PM) *
quietmadness, just do a search, and you'll find it. All though, if you used the Metro-gel the last 3 times, you might want to switch it up to something else. Remember, try to figure out what it is that's triggering it, and do some preventative maintenance!! TTO is great, not a cure, just helpfull!

what is TTO?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.